Newest Review: ... in winter. - We lost heating for MONTHS and only had electric heaters. They, when they switched the HOT water off one weekend (they ... more
Chandos Hall 2011 review... it's NOT WORTH IT.
Accommodation in general
Author Name: v.chance
Accommodation in general
Advantages: ...It's close to the uni.
Disadvantages: Pretty much everything.
I would honestly recommend choosing this place last. It's liveable, but barely.
Basically, the best thing about this place is the community with people on your floor. IF you get a good few people, that is! The rest of the place, for what you pay, is crap.
Chandos Hall is pretty much an old, old building falling a part everywhere. I moved in for the 2011/2012 year, made some AWESOME friends but I'm sick to the teeth of this place. Here's a few problems for you:
- Maintenance is terrible at Chandos Hall. We've had a broken toilet seat for 6 months and, since moving in, my window STILL doesn't close completely and they still haven't bothered to fix it. It's freezing in winter.
- We lost heating for MONTHS and only had electric heaters. They, when they switched the HOT water off one weekend (they provided no alternative for showers), they forgot to mention the WHOLE water supply went off. So imagine students waking up, about 5 sharing a toilet, using the toilet, going to flush then realising it didn't work. No one in over the weekend so we had that stench and NO toilet for the whole weekend. No apology, no warning, NOTHING from Chandos.
- There have been floods all over the place on the floors because pipes seem to constantly break.
- Chandos Hall seriously has the worst water in the city centre. My friend's tap spits out little stones, I don't have cold water (only luke warm in BOTH taps) and it ALWAYS comes out cloudly. It's disgusting and you'll spend more money buying bottle water in all honesty.
- The plaster on the walls near the doors is falling off. These doors slam really, REALLY loudly and WILL wake you up if you live next to them. We have to keep them open constantly.
- Kitchen looks like something from Charlie Bucket's house before he got that stupid factory.
- Things constantly break. And I don't mean by force or drunk students... the handle has fallen off the grill three times now, just by pulling it down.
- The hobs and ovens have a tendency to 'stop working' randomly. It takes forever for someone to come and fix it.
- Three plug sockets in my room have failed SAFETY tests and have a huge "FAILED" sticker on them. Grim.
- You can literally break into any room with a card or prying at the doors. I'm lucky because everyone I know here who does this are my friends and we get on so well - but it's not very secure.
- The pipes make a really weird sound almost constantly. You get used to it... eventually.
Seriously, this place is falling a part. Last option only. Chandos Hall maintenance is rubbish; they may be nice people, but they really don't seem to care. Ridiculous living conditions and that's just the tip of the iceberg. However, the community here is awesome - but you're taking a massive risk because if you get stuck with boring people you will have a horrible time.
Summary: For the price they charge, it's robbery.
More reviews in the field of Accommodation
- The Lawns, Grant Hall (University of Hull)
- Keynes is great
- R&G - one of the best years of my life!
- Nice student accomodation!
- Glen Eyre - South Hill Halls
- University of Brighton - Moulsecoomb Halls of Residence - Best years of your lif ...
- Only for young students who want to party and don't care about their studies
- Living here right now. Don't even consider living here.