Newest Review: ... "We regret to inform that our system is currently unable to process this request. Please contact your local Singapore Airlines... more
Singapore airlines - worse than expected
Member Name: Huomenna
Advantages: nice staff, clean planes, reasonable food
Disadvantages: poor quality entertainment system, incorrect flight info, poor legroom for tall people
*This review applies to economy service*
I flew on Singapore airlines in May this year from Heathrow to Perth, Australia and back again and am basing my review off of my experiences flying with them during this time.
I can't say much about the booking service as I didnt book the tickets myself, but I do have several points to make about the journey itself.
- Entertainment system: The singapore airlines planes, like most other airlines, have a built in entertainment system for each seat. My journey to and from Australia involved going on 4 different planes - on the first plane the sound to my 'entertainment sytem' stopped working and the attendants could not fix it, on the second plane my partners stopped working, on the third plane someone on the row in front of me had the same problem and on the forth plane my partner had the same problem again. None of those 4 times did they manage to fix it and on long haul flights this leads to hours of boredom.
- Flight information (an option available for passengers to view on their screens and on the planes larger main screens): this information was never accurate - the time at destination was hours out, the map showing where the plane was and what half of the world was night/day was also wrong. Information concerning things such as connecting flights, that was supposed to become avilable an hour before landing, was never available.
- Seat spacing: The seating in economy is disappointing - I'm a tall woman (5'11") but that's average height for a man and the whole flight my knees were pushed up against the seat infront - certainly not comfortable and probably not all that good for helping to prevent DVT either! This problem only got worse when the seat in front was put back, which it invariably is for most of the flight. I don't feel it's right to inconvenience such a large portion of the population for the sake of squeezing in one more row of seats.
- Post flight customer service: On return to England I did contact Singapore airlines to express my disappointment in the above and after a rather prolonged period of time got a one line 'we're sorry' response. While it is good that they acknowledged my letter, their response didn't make me feel like they cared about the problems I had experienced.
Even in economy I feel the price paid for tickets warrants better seating space and working equipment. A 'sorry' from them is not what I was looking for, if however they had seen fit to offer a discount on a future flight or promised to look into the problems, then these issues might have been easier to overcome.
- The staff were well presented, friendly, attentive and easy to understand (no heavy accents).
- The food was relatively decent for plane food, not exactly restaurant standard, but certainly edible.
- Cabin crew regularly came around to offer drinks throughout the flight - orange juice, water, tea, coffee and the option of alcoholic drinks too.
- The interior or the plane was well cleaned and no nasty smells.
- Each seat was provided with a pillow and a blanket.
Unfortunately due to my experiences on my last trip to Australia I shall be avoiding flying with Singapore airlines in future unless they exceptionally low price tickets on offer.
My experiences don't seem to fit with many other people's of this airline so hopefully they were just having a bad month when I flew (considering I flew on 4 of their planes on different days) or maybe I'm just too picky. Either way I wouldn't reccommend them and I believe there are much better airlines out there offering better quality for roughly the same price.
Summary: Not the worst airlines but plenty of improvements need to be made
More reviews in the field of Airline
- Thomson: the hard sell
- An airline I would use again
- I dont fly with anyone else!
- Easyjet: does what it says on the tin
- No frills airlines with some good deals
- Why does everybody rave about Emirates?
- Best Airline for Long Route Journey
- I'll avoid where possible!
- Cheap and cheerful
- Bad customer service! Bank transfer option doesn't function well.