Product Type: Sony Amplifiers
Newest Review: ... which to my knowledge is still going strong, and before that I had always thought of Sony as a quality brand. Maybe we were just unlucky ... more
BAD value, considering it will fail in 3 years!
Sony TA FB940/S
Member Name: Amorrio_m
Sony TA FB940/S
Date: 15/10/02, updated on 15/10/02 (638 review reads)
Advantages: Good Sound (when it works), Reasonable Price (at least on the day you buy it)
Disadvantages: Breaks down in few years, Very expensive to own, as you will have to spend a lot in few years to get it repaired..., Expensive to repair.
Four years ago, I have bought this Sony amplifier TA-FB920 (940 is a follow-up one with slight modifications), after a good review I read in a magazine.
Like all Sony products, it had an excellent price/functionality and price/quality ratios.
Like with most Sony products (at least my experience), trouble with those ratios is that they do NOT last.
It broke down after 3 years of much-less-than normal usage and Sony made me pay 35% of the original price for the repairs. In my accounts, it is a lot of money to waste on a 3,5 year old already expensive (or upper mid-market) amplifier. Come on! these things are supposed to for last years! My previous amplifier (Marantz) has lasted more than 10 years!
My advise is:
- Avoid Sony! Everything at my home was Sony and my home is almost like a Sony Junkyard. I may have been extremely unlucky, but you know, my very cheap Beko TV set already lasted longer than my previous expensive Sony "trinitron TV" (at the time, when I bought it, it looked like the same functions at a price cheaper than Philips, but...).
- Be careful with magazine reviews! they only look at current quality and ignore the lasting ones.
- In Hi-Fi, Go for specialized brands like Marantz, Harman-Kordon etc. Avod I-do-it-all brands like Sony, Philips etc.
More reviews in the field of Amplifier
- Excellent bit of Kit, Buy it!
- Great sound in true Marantz fashion
- Excellent entry level amplifier
- Almost Great
- Bottom of the range NAD?
- A perfect entry level amplifier for music fans
- Dah dah dah! Dah dah DAH dah!
- Your neighbours will thank you!
- Marshall quality at an affordable price.
- A nice amp for every purpose