Hardware Previews in general

• image
9 Reviews
  • Write a review >
    How do you rate the product overall? Rate it out of five by clicking on one of the hearts.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages? Use up to 10 bullet points.
    Write your reviews in your own words. 250 to 500 words
    Number of words:
    Write a concise and readable conclusion. The conclusion is also the title of the review.
    Number of words:
    Write your email adress here Write your email adress

Your dooyooMiles Miles

9 Reviews
    Sort by:
      11.03.2013 22:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Lets wait until the full announcements. So far it looks appetising but all with a pinch of salt.

so with the recent announcement of the Playstation 4, we have yet to wait for the Xbox 720 announcement. It is expected to be announced some time in April but as of yet, they're keeping a lid on everything. The big issue with the new consoles, for me at least, is their ability to watermark and therefore block any used games. As a score junkie i find this hard news to swallow. That means the end of the fun score hunting games and back to the usual games before score, where you played without achievements. (I know, hard to imagine right?!)

So far several leaks have been released online about the hardware of the 720 and actually got so out of hand, S.W.A.T raided one guy's house and arrested him! That's what you get for signing away your freedom of speech in an agreement to preview hardware. Exactly the problem with the power behind big American corporations...

The PS4 will supposedly feature similar tech to the 720, and rightly so because games need to be made to fit on both platforms. The best processing power will benefit the most but I honestly think if the leaked documents are true, we could be in for a big surprise with regards to speed and basic GPU power. It is rumoured that Kinect V2 will ship with the 720 and that it will be mandatory but i doubt this is true. Controller based games are so popular and still sold in the millions, they'd be insane to suddenly drop it.

The Xbox 720 is supposed to have a 50GB disc drive but will not support Blu-Ray. Go figure. Sony runs Blu-Ray and Microsoft being the greedy sods they are will no doubt want to hurt their sales of blu-ray discs, but in my opinion this could actually work against them, as many people will want to buy Blu-Rays and therefore, will buy a PS4 instead because they don't want a separate unit.

The biggest worry for me is a repeat of the red ring issue on Xbox models because we all know Microsoft will skimp on quality if they can benefit financially but have they actually learned their lesson from last time? I doubt it, i've no doubt we'll see consoles blowing up left right and centre. In which case bring it on, i'll send it off for warranty repair (free) many many many times costing Microsoft a lot of money until they learn their lesson. They deserve it after all the hassle they have given their users last time. Lets hope both console next gen, don't have such ridiculous issues.

The PS4 will be out in time for christmas. No doubt the 720 will too. MS won't want to miss the opportunity to make a quick buck.

23.05.2001 22:18

Advantages

Disadvantages

Here it is the Electronic Entertainment Expo we have all been waiting for all year. Finally we'll see who has the best machine. This year was held in Los Angeles. GAMECUBE The Gamecube has got to be the highlight of the E3 show. It completely kicked the Xbox's ass. Here are the games that were on show: Star Wars: Rogue Leader Super Metroid Mickey Mouse Eternal Darkness NFL Madden 2002 Physics Make Waves Luigi's Mansion NBA Courtside 2002 Sega Sports Monkey Balls Sega Soccer Mario Tony Hawk 3 Virtua Striker 3 Phantasy Star Online Version 2 Kameo: Elements of Power Super Smash Bros Spider-Man Cube Wave Race Blue Storm Zelda Cube Turok Evolution Dinosaur Planet Too Human What a bunch of quality titles! I envisage the Gamecube to be a massive hit. With Triple A titles like Mario, Zelda and Luigi what else can you ask for. At the show there were a lot of talks about Nintendo?s Metroid being developed by a third party. Personally I cannot wait for the Gamecube to be released. It?ll certainly brighten up the sky for the gaming world. Nintendo have announced that it will be released by November 5 in Japan that is. XBOX After the fiasco in Japan Bill Gates will want the Xbox to do well at the show. Rather then showing Mr Gates with a hamburger in his hand Microsoft have decided to announce a release date of November 8. Just three days after the Gamecube! Here?s the shortened list for the games: Dino-Crisis 3 Brainbox Crazy Taxi Onimusha House of the Dead 3 AI (The rest are made by Microsoft and are too boring to mention.) Microsoft is apparently producing 35-45% of the games. (Oh my God!!!) The Xbox should cost around $299 in the US, which is equivalent to £210 in pounds. It should arrive in Europe costing £270. (Damn them the Americans get the cheapest stuff) Micros
        oft is however selling the machine at a loss so don?t feel too ripped off. They are probably hoping to recoup the money back through software. 200 developers are supposedly working on the Xbox and it?s gonna have 80 exclusive titles. Spectators at the Expo talked about the Xbox?s demos being inferior to the Gamecube?s. Anyhow the Xbox does offer some good titles so look out for it sometime in the future. PS2 You talk about boredom and you have to talk about the PS2 stands. Not much really to talk about! Well here?s the list of some games which I just like to say only has a small minority that are sequels: (sarcasm) Tony Hawk 3 Gran Turismo 3 Final Fantasy X &XI Tribes 2 Sled Storm 2 Silent Hill 2 SSX2 Jax and Daxter Devil May Cry SOCOM: US Navy SEALS Sony apparently made a statement saying ?content is king? ? how ironic is that? Other boring info is that the PS2 is going to get a modem adapter costing around £40. PS2 owners will be able to get online with AOL, Sony?s newest partner. Other add-ons include hard drive, keyboard and LCD screen. The only good point to mention about the PS2 is once again Metal Gear Solid 2. All the other demos were? to say the least crap. The PS2 graphics are beginning to show its age even though it has only been out for a few months. PC The PC market hasn?t been doing too well these past couple of years but it still made a large contribution to the E3 show. The games that were there include: Return to Castle Wolfenstein Solder Of Fortune Gangsters 2: Vendetta Roman Empire RTS Praetorian Republic: The Revolution Flight Simulator Train Simulator (PLEASE no more simulators!!!!!) Age of Mythology Zoo Tycoon Overall it was quite a nice turnout for the PC. Obviously there were no new Tomb Raider games as Eidos are both strapped for cash and the movie is nearly finished. Conclusion Gamecub
        e shined at the show and is definitely worth the wait!!

26.11.2000 19:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

What is the best next generation console to get? Playstation 2, X-box or the game cube. There is no telling how good they are until they all come out. The playstation 2 will do vary well as people liked the playstation 1 so much. The playstation 2 will have a DVD player, but so will the X-box. Microsoft has found many company’s to support the X-box, but people may not like the idea of Microsoft making a console. Metal gear solid 2 will be coming to the Playstation 2, but it’s coming out to the X-box except with the name Metal gear X. There have been rumours of being able to play PC games on the X-Box but this is not true, but it would have been good, as people that cant afford PC’s will get the X-box for the PC game’s. At first not many company’s supported the X-box, but when they found out what you could make on it and how powerful it is, lot’s of company’s decided to support it. But what about the Game cube there hasn’t been much word of that, so what console should you get? The best thing to do is wait until they all come out then buy the one with the best games, as at the moment there’s no telling what the games will be like on all the later consoles. You could even get a Dreamcast, which has many good games’s like Resident Evil: code veronica, Shenmue, and all the great arcade games Sega make.

20.11.2000 00:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

The GameCube: Nintendo's latest model, a cute box on which one can mess around with the latest Nintendo games and gadgets. I don't know much about the console, but a little bird told me something about the games... Well, as I have heard, the games are said to be released at the sweet sweet price of only £20 each. Not many people believed this, but I am only passing on what I was told, by a reader of the official Nintendo magazine. If Nintendo plan to keep this up, buying the console will be well worth it and will save you, your kids or your parents a whole load of money on ridiculously-priced games such as those on other competing consoles. The sequel to Zelda looks as though it will destroy any opposing role-play games, and so this is another reason I will be buying the GameCube myself.

19.11.2000 20:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Does anyone really care which console is the most successful? Only the games companies and developers themselves will really care. As long as they all have a chance and offer us some great games, then I'm happy. I own a Playstation. It has hundreds of games, but are most of them any good? Well I'd say that around 50 of them are worth buying, but there are far too many games on the console that most games will not succeed. I can tell you that the Playstation has sold 70million units worldwide in 5 years. This isn't a figure to laugh and snigger at. It is an amazing achievement, it's clear that Sony has dominated the 32-64bit era. The Sega Saturn had some true classics, but never really sold that many consoles - I think it was around 2.5million worldwide. And the N64 was it supposed to be better than a Playstation? Of course it was, but how many games are available for it - hardly any in comparison. It did have some great games like Zelda and Mario, Goldenye, but it's been left for dead in the games industry (just like the Saturn was). The N64's failure to capture all those Playstation owners didn't really matter because Nintendo has dominated the handheld games market for around 10 years now. Yes, the Gameboy is officially the most successful 'console' ever made, shifting over 130million units. In this time it's managed to fight off the Sega Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Colour and Sony Pocket-Station. Over the years there has been the Gameboy (black and white), Gamegirl (in colour), and then the most recent Gameboy Color. Soon to be released is the GameBoy Advance (GBA), so expect to see this appear at the end of 2001. I can't really see it being as successful as the Gameboy. I mean are people prepared to pay out £40 for a game? I don't think so. As for the Next generation of Consoles - lets see what we've got instore for all you gamers out there!
          Ok, The Dreamcast. It's been out in Japan for 2 years, but out here and the US for only a year. It's been fairly successful selling over 6million units now, and already we've seen and played some of the greatest games ever created. The Dreamcast is an excellent choice of console in my view. With over 150 games available in Europe (even more at import), and the ability to go online, surf the net, and send and receive emails as well as play actual ONLINE games against the cream of Europe and the World. Such games that you can play online include the brilliant ChuChu Rocket - a puzzle game with a difference, created by the legendary Sonic Team. There's the breathtaking Ferrari F355 Challenge (officially licensed, created by Yu Suzuki) where you can take on the Japanese, US players, and the European Dreamcast owners. This is one of the best looking games I have ever seen, and is incredibly realistic. The Dreamcast has some amazing Offline games as well: Crazy Taxi - arcade madness in super smooth high-resolution graphics. Virtua Tennis: the best tennis game, and sports game ever made, without a doubt. Soul Calibur: The Fighting game that cannot be beaten by anything. The graphics are amazing, and the story, controls and everything about the game deserves a full 10/10. MSR: The best racing game to date. Over 2 and a half years in the making, this is a truly brilliant experience, that boasts over 45 real life sports vehicles and a massive 253 circuits based in 3 real life cities. A must have! The Dreamcast is a very good alternative to the Playstation 2. I can honestly say that you should opt for a Dreamcast instead of a PS2 this Christmas. The Playstation 2: Can Sony do no wrong? Yes of course they can. The Playstation 2 is already been a disappointment in many people’s eyes in the games industry. After a catalogue of errors regarding the Japanese launch, the
          English pre order scheme, and the average looking games available at launch, the PS2 has already managed to sell around 3million units throughout the world. This is mainly because there is a huge Sony fan-base, believing that the Playstation2 is the next major console. After all, how many Playstation units were sold! The PS2 is a very expensive console at £299.99, so I won't be buying one at this cost. However, it does have a DVD playback feature, allowing you to play DVD as well as games. The Playstation 2 will have some brilliant games in GT3 and Metal Gear Solid 2, but many games developers have complained about the difficulties in programming games for the system, and therefore many of the first stage games (those at launch) won't be that impressive compared to the later ones. The PS2 looks like a 1980's radiator, and has got the same controllers as the Playstation, so it doesn't win any awards for innovation, but it will be a success I'm sure. It is too expensive in my view. Games to avoid: Tekken Tag Tournament, RR5, and Fifa 2001. It looks as though this console is a sequel, and will be home to many a poor sequel. Let's hope GT3 and MGS2 are good. The X-Box and Game Cube. These two consoles are from Microsoft and Nintendo, respectively. I don't know which one will be better, I have never played on these machines, but they both will have better graphical capabilities than the PS2 and Dreamcast. The X Box is said to have more power than a Pentium 3 @ 900 MHz, and will feature a DVD player and will be Internet ready. I must admit that the X Box is looking a very good prospect. With over 250 developers at the ready, I don't think Bill Gates' company will fail. The Game Cube is set to be a purely for games console, and will have a new type of disc format to prevent pirating of games (good idea). I can't really say how well this machine will do, but I think that it&
          #39;ll arrive too late in the year (it's not going to be released in Europe until 2002) so the console market will be packed. The games launch line up isn't that exciting either. Basically they are another Zelda game, Mario, Metroid, and something else. Hardly the most daring, but the games are all top quality titles, and should be pretty impressive. I recommend getting a Dreamcast now at £149.99 with 3 games, waiting until the XBox arrives, and possibly getting that as well. You can't get a PS2 until spring, so get the next best thing, you might even find it's better!

05.10.2000 03:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

I have to inform everyone that my role as a part time gamer is to play games. I don't really care what advertising goes into the game - or who makes the game - I don't really care which format it's on - but as long as the game is good - i.e. There is enough reliable evidence to suggest the game is worth purchasing then I will, providing my financial status is in good steed, purchase the game. At present there are no Playstation2s readily available - and I feel that Sony has betrayed all their devotees and gone and betrayed the whole games industry - OK so the PS2 has DVD - but in Japan it is basically seen as a DVD player ONLY - the games sales speak for themselves. OK - so Sony are losing thousands of Yen every hour - as they make sizeable losses on the consoles - but the Games Industry In Japan is flourishing - as they are STILL playing Playstations - as sales charts show - Playstation have the best selling games! So where is this going? Well, I have a Dreamcast. I have had a Saturn on and off, and I have recently purchased an N64 with Goldeneye - I have never owned a Playstation - but I am sure it has some great titles available. But, when a Saturn and 5 top titles costs me only £35 - then I'm not going to be missing out - in my view NiGHTS was the greatest game on the 32 bit platforms, if you have played the title you may know exactly how amazing it really is. Now, when an N64 and Goldeneye costs the same - yes £35 then I really can't refuse can I, as this is also a Fantastic game - Yes it is the best 64bit game EVER (although there wasn't any competition) and I am fairly impressed by all things Nintendo. But I have a Dreamcast as my primary console - why? Because it has the greatest games. I have a huge collection of over 23 titles for Dreamcast and nearly all were worth buying - except who wants to be a millionaire of course. And, I am looking forward
            to, what I believe will be the best 128bit game EVER - SHENMUE. You may well have heard about this game - but it is SO much more than this - apparently it's an experience not to be missed - and I won't be missing it - come December 1st I will own this game - unless the release date slips - like MSRs - Metropolis street racer - another game that is set to vamp up the Dreamcast racing genre as a whole. So what about X Box? What about PS2? What about G-Cube? Well, these consoles ARE not currently available as I type - but they'll be here within 2 years. From what I have seen of the X Box - it seems like it will mash PS2s guts out - but isn't THAT impressive - stats are stats - let's see the thing do something groundbreaking first. And what about G-Cube? Well I think it could be the end of the line for Nintendo's consoles - GBA will sell well, but Game Cube? OK so the screenshots are looking amazing - but really - why do we want Mario AGAIN? I think they aren't ambitious enough - and won't spread their wings out - have Nintendo EVER made a good football simulation? A Good racing game? There you go.

16.08.2000 18:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

I have long been excited about the upcoming release of the new machines such as the Playstation 2. However, I found that the reason for this is because I managed to get caught up in all the hype and swayed by the PR. I have become fed up and am not anticipating the release of these machines anymore. The mixed reviews and the amount of different machines means that it is now too confusing picking the machine that you want. I used to always want to go for the most powerful machine, however, there always seems to be a more powerful machine coming out a few months after. By becoming wrapped up in all the hype I managed to forget my poor, faithful playstation, which I haven't bought a game for in ages. My advice to anyone reading this is that they should just examine the quality of software and the types of games being released on the different systems and wait at least a few months before purchasing a new machine. My only concern is that the games companies may be trying so hard to impress each other that they may lose sight of the main aim - enjoyment.

14.08.2000 04:54

Advantages

Disadvantages

In this new Pokemon game you are a photographer how takes pictures of Pokemon. IN the game your name is Todd. It isn't that easy to take a picture you have to trick them by using poke flute or beat. The Pokemon also attack you when you are taking a picture of another Pokemon. In American someone told me that you take your cartridge to blockbuster and for about 4 dollars which is about 2 pounds you can get printed 16 of your best pictures. The game isn't out yet in England but it is coming out in September the 15th it is going to be about 25 pounds. You can also get a VRS system that let's you talk to pikacu if you say for example cute he will smile but if you say stupid he will get angry I am not sure if you have to buy them separate or you get it with the game.

31.07.2000 05:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

Why do people waste there money on new things? Next year they will be out of date and you will be lucky if you can find games for the system. Prices will go down admittedly next year, but only because the product will have a bad reputation as old next year. Prices are being raised slowly but surely to keep all major company's in bussiness. I feel that all of this logical information should be stopping us spend this money on our children. This year its the playstation 2 or Nintendo Game Boy Color, what is it next year? The Playstation 3 with faster net access? The 3D Gameboy? Maybe someone could tell me the logic in buying such possessions? If there is any.