Hardware Reviews in general

4 Reviews
  • -
  • Not the real Mcoy
  • Write a review >
    How do you rate the product overall? Rate it out of five by clicking on one of the hearts.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages? Use up to 10 bullet points.
    Write your reviews in your own words. 250 to 500 words
    Number of words:
    Write a concise and readable conclusion. The conclusion is also the title of the review.
    Number of words:
    Write your email adress here Write your email adress

Your dooyooMiles Miles

4 Reviews
    Sort by:
      03.01.2002 02:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Not the real Mcoy"

The details on the Xbox release date have finally been confirmed as March 14th 2002. The console will retail at the expected price of $299.99 and will come with a controller and an 8 GB hard drive as standard. Initially there will be eight titles to choose from on the Xbox, with Beat ‘em up fans having the exclusive rights to Dead or Alive 3 and driving fans, Project Gotham. The remaining six titles are: Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee (another exclusive), Halo, Amped, Fusion Frenzy, Blood Wake and Azurik. With Microsoft estimated to spend in excess of $500 million on promoting this machine alone, they obviously want to make sure the public realise its true potential, so expect to display pod after display pod around the country in no time. Like the PS2 the Xbox will have the ability to play DVD movies on your TV, and With a number of perhiperals such as: official memory cards, extra controllers, AV or RF adapters and Thrustmaster poised to release a host of third party extras, the Xbox looks set to stay. The Stats Processor Pentium III 733Mhz Total Memory 64Mb Polygon Performance 125 M/sec Simultaneous Textures 4 Hard Disc 8 GB Memory Unit 8Mb0 Audio Channels 256 I/O Game Controller x4

16.09.2001 20:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

• -

Written by me for http://uk.ciao.com To my ( not very large ) knowledge of Nintendo, the N64 was released in 1996 and had a lot of mysteria and hype around it. Was it hot or was it not? Was it worth buying or not? Well, 5 years on, Nintendo have binned the N64 and shifted to their new console, the Gamecube. The Nintendo has 64 bit, double the power of the PlayStation but in my opinion, the difference is not TOO big but definatley noticable. I don't like the fact that cartridges are used because you have to shove them in, and those irrisponsible gamers among us may break a few of the pins off of our games, wrecking the game. I wish that the console was solely based on memory cards and that it didn't save directly to the cartride because it's very irritating if you buy a game second hand and all the features are unlocked or the characters edited and it takes ages, defaulting them back to normal. Having carts is an advantage though. It is impossible to DIRECTLY copy an N64 cart, singling out piracy and getting Ninty some hard earned cash. Some may say that saving to the cart is a blessing, as you don't need to shell out for memory cards. That's only useful if you buy all games brand new and you never sell games though and most of us do the latter though. I have had my N64 for 2 months and I have 7 games, all of good quality so there's no worries over the quality of games. However, I find that our friends at Ninty produce too many "cute" games such as Yoshi, Mario and Banjo Kazooie. I wish there were more violent games for the mature gamer. A prime example is Perfect Dark, that is for the mature gamer, along with Goldeneye. The N64 has liquified but it's little brother, The Gamecube, has emerged and it is set to be very successful, giving Microsoft a run for their money with the X-Box. I can see Ninty coming out on top in the Console Wars battle for supremacy.

11.09.2001 08:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

This is to all those who know about the games console market..... I have a laptop computer. That is the extent of my computer literacy. However, I have played on games consoles belonging to my friends and found them a lot of fun. So, I thought I would treat myself to one. There was I thinking it would be that easy! There appears to be only one on the market at the moment and that is the PS2. However, as I understand it, there are two more coming out soonish, the Gamecube and the X-Box. My question is simple. Should I wait till these are released and when will that be? Or, should I get a PS2? The games on it do look impressive. I suppose a bit of background on what I am looking for would be useful. First of all, I am not into cutesy cartoony games. The whole Mario thing doesn't do it for me. I like racing games, flight simulators, Half-Life and Doom type games, and sports games. I have heard that the Gamecube is the best console in terms of power, but will it have a good game base. The N64 despite being the most powerful machine did not seem to have the games selection that the PS1 had. Is the X-Box the one to go for? Everyone says it is like a PC but without the non-gaming bits. If that is the case, then racing games and fighting games don't seem to work that well on the PC. From my own limited knowledge it seems to me the PS2 is the best option. There seem to be a lot of games coming out for it and it seems to have a good balance of games and it is already out in the shops which is an added bonus! I have not made any concrete decisions but would be really grateful for the opinions of all you experts out there. I need your guidance. I look forward to your comments....

03.12.2000 23:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

As time goes on and on the current next-generation console war is heating up, consoles have been release and failed, some have succeeded, will Microsoft get it right with the X-Box? The X-Box will be Microsoft’s first outing into the console market, they are the newcomers, who would blame the computer gamin industry is massive and is growing at an alarming rate. Modern computer games are produced by a massive team of people, gone are the day’s were someone would create a game in their bedroom. Microsoft do have some sort of advantage under their belt to start with. That’s Microsoft, one of the biggest and most profitable companies in the world, meaning that the have masses and masses of money behind them, a good thing when delving into the modern gaming scene. So for those few, who are asking themselves ‘Who are Microsoft?’ then this is what I’d say; First I’d say ‘Where have you been for the past 20 years?’ And secondly I’d say; ‘Well they are the company that has revolutionise the way in which we use Pc’s and now the Internet. They are responsible for, MS-DOS, Windows 95, 98 and Windows Millennium, they are also responsible for all office suites (Word processors etc.) and internet explores’. So what is Microsoft up against with it’s newest piece of kit, the X-Box? When the console war started the players trying to take the profits that the main player the Playstation had enjoyed for the past five years were; (1) SEGA – Dreamcast (2) SONY – Playstation 2 (3) NINTENDO- Game- Cube (4) MICROSOFT – X-Box that’s 4 consol, there certainly isn’t room for all of them , traditionally only one or mostly two consoles have succeeded in the past. For example the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and the Sega Mega drive.. Recently SEGA gave in and failed in the console war, reducing the players but displaying how hard it is to succeed in the Market, it will certainly be hard for Microsoft. So does it have any chance? So Microsof0t has money and after recent news and conferences at shows etc. Microsoft has produce the most powerful console of the console makers, they have incorporated many Pc components like a Ge-Force 3 graphics cards and a super fast Intel processor. The X-Box has the potential to have the best graphics and sound of any of the consoles, which de reign high on peoples list of priorities. This console could create the most realistic experience of all the consoles. So why could the X-Box fail? Microsoft are relatively new to the game console Industry and so lack in experience. All the other players have produced consoles before and will have gained more knowledge of the industry. While Microsoft have created games to some success e.g. Midtown Madness, this is their fist outing in consoles. Microsoft have no real mascot like Sega’s Sonic titles and Nintendo’s Mario, they are important in creating a brand that many will remember. This though wasn’t too important for Sony who have no real computer gaming mascot. The X-Box while very powerful has no game console experience, is America (May put of the biggest market (Japanese)) and has no real killer applications e.g. Gran Turismo. There are many new next-generation consoles on the market or coming out soon, the Microsoft X-Box is one of them along with, Playstation 2, Dreamcast and the Nintendo game-Cube. The Microsoft X-Box is one, which I won’t be considering for the future. Basically the Microsoft X-box is a PC (modem, hard disk, Pentium processor, Ge-Force PC graphics card) which you can’t upgrade, What’s the point in that? Microsoft will undoably have the tarted up PC running its newest version of Windows which for sure will make it perform much the same as a PC, both slower to start up and very unreliable, crash after crash I hear everyone cry. It will also be bigger than the other consoles and will either overheat, or make a large amount of noise (Fan) and so will fill with dust. The only good thing that I can think of in relation the Microsoft X-Box would be that the Windows software may make it easier to program and develop for…..um that’s it. And one more point, if Microsoft had been compatible with current PC games, then things might have been different, but with a release date of just over a year later than the Playstation 2, I can see the X-Box going nowhere. So your answer to why the X-box will cost £99 is that I can't see it suceeding, prices will get lower e.g Dreamcast, get one there if you have to. Bill Gates has the money, but sometimes it’s not everything.