Newest Review: ... should therefore be an 'easy watch,' which do in fact scare me when thought about. The scene in which all of Jupiter's moons a... more
My top ten vids this year in no particular order!
Date: 15/01/02, updated on 22/05/02 (9 review reads)
Advantages: Good but not great
Disadvantages: Lot of crap out there.
If it wasn’t for the late flourish of blockbusters it would be yet another poor year for movies. The last three or so have seen Hollywood having to give all the rewards to the above average and not great films in the run up to the Oscars.
Pictures like American Beauty and Erin Brokivich are along way from Schindlers List and The Godfather.We reached an all time low when Titanic was a warded a hatfull just because most of the movie industry needed it to be a hit as they had financial involvement.
This year we have seen The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter break box office records during the critical Christmas period. If it wasn’t for these big earners I would say it would have been the worse year for movies since I can remember, apart from last year and the four before that.
These are ten I have seen on video this year of 2001, as I can’t afford six quid a hit for the cinema, hence why the big two flicks are not there. Im not that sophisticated in the film pallet so expect no French relationship black and whites or Blackadder style Ruff epics.
These are my most enjoyable films this year on VHS.
1) THE DISH………..Another brilliantly enjoyable Aussie comedy based on the true story of an outback-remote large array transmitter. It was the only one situated in the southern hemisphere to transmit the now legendary grainy black and white moon walk film.
The whole of the world was relying on a small sheep farming town and its assortment of characters to carry out the triumphant task to bring those moments to the world.
It quickly goes wrong with power outs and high winds as scientist Sam Neil who is in just about every OZ movie saves the day. This was his and the towns big moment to make the world proud and us laugh every minute. Wonderful warm comedy with beautiful outback panorama’s……….8/10.
2) AMORES PERRES………They called it the Mexic
an Pulp Fiction as this foreign national film pops all around and in the nasty world of dog fighting.Its in out of order segments like Tarrantinos stuff but the tempo is more gritty and urban.
There was controversy of the overly realistic dog scraps in prizefights but BBC’s Mark Kamode of the quiffy top assures us that no dogs were even scratched during the filming.
Its violent, real and a powerful piece of film that will leave you fully entertained. The old tramp and political killer guy is superb…..8/10
3) CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGON……….No one would have thought an elaborate Kung Fu film would have one last years best foreign film Oscar.Well it did and it’s a quite extraordinary production experience as the actors fly though the tress in those breathtaking special effects.
The music is stunning to as the love story fairy tale of two people and a beautiful sacred sword. Mixed in with the visual and enigmatic performance, it makes for the almost perfect cinematography come to life. Must see foreign classic………….8/10.
4) SEXY BEAST……Ok its yet another Guy Richie gangster film spin off starring the predictable Ray Winstone and Amanda Redman.But the film is stolen by a stunning performance by Ben Kingsley as the psychotic Don Logan who is a kind of criminal head hunter.
He comes down to the Costa del Crime to round up retired lag Winstone for one last job in London.Rays not interested in the gig but dare not say no to Logan.Hence follows an extraordinary barrage of expletives and bad behavior by Logan as Kingsly sends his acting skills.
He’s so far removed from Ghandi I can tell you…….See it just for mad Logans turn and the boulder busting start to the movie.
The director is more used to pop videos than Brit Flick but brings something fresh to the cinema in his fat paced style…………See it for mad Ghandi!…R
5) BEST IN SHOW…….A funny take on the show dog world of all things by Spinal Taps legendary axe David Saint Hubbins Hubbins,aka,Christopher Guest.It’s the same kind of approach to as the brilliant rock band spoof as we go from Rockumentry to Dogumenetry with lots of solid laughs and sharp script throughout..
The highlight of the film is the show sequence where American Pies, Eugene Levy has to run the hound on the floor as a sports commentator calls the last six dogs display. This section makes the film and its well worth the rental for dog and great comedy lovers……..7/10.
6) ALMOST FAMOUS……..A brilliant mood period piece as a young wannabe rock writer bluffs his way to the top at the grand old age of fifteen. It’s a coming of age rights of way passage film as the young one gets a lesson in life by the cute teen rock muse played by the gorgeous Kate Hudson.
He gets a lesson to in just about every else ayoung mans play book including being deflowered by thee girls and travelling on a road trip with middle of the road rock band Stillwater.
Its wonderfully filmed and delightful performances all round as the film gently washes over you like a summers breeze………..A must see of 2001……8/10.
7) TWO HANDS……Another cracking Aussie film that premiered this year on tape.Its one of those obscure rentals that gets the bottom left corner of Blockbuster next to Crocodile Dundee in LA and Honey I shrunk Myself.
It’s a comedy thriller that twists and turns as a young Aussie guy trys to impress the local crime lord (Bryan Brown of course!) who gives him a small job to see what he’s made of. But he cocks it up and must get the money back or he’s a dead man.
Its fast paced and original with some great performances by the young up and coming cast. If you like Aussie style then this will please you greatly!…̷
8) ME MYSELF AND IRENE……..Ok this is borderline 2000 release but I liked it so much above the pap Ive seen this year that it must get a mention. If you enjoyed Dumb and Dumber then you will really get into this as we see more of the dark side of the flexible Jim Carrey.
The LA funnyman has multi facets to his talents from the twisted Cable Guy to the honest lawyer in Liar Liar.Its laughs again all the way in this one as Carry gets to grips in being a schizophrenic in small town American police force.
The plot allows him to be naughty and cutting and it quickly evolves into a guy’s film like Bridge Jones is for chicks.
Lots of clever in-jokes and some risky stuff thrown in. If you have heard bad reports and ignored it so far then now is the time to check it out!…..7/10.
9) NURSE BETTY………Sexy cute Rene Zellwegger plays a bored housewife who is so obsessed with soaps that she ends up in one. After her husband is gunned down by an aging hitman and his apprentice she flees to meet the doctor in the soap who she honestly believes is real.
The dippy blonde pretends to be a nurse to meet her beau with the hitmen hot on her tail in this cross America romp. Morgan Friedman wants to finish his final job and tie up the loose ends as the hired killer as we get a rip-roaring film on an unusual subject.
Its main quality is the subject matter and the story tells well on the screen. It had no big screen release here and would easily have slipped by without a whisper. If you like something different and funny then this is a must……7/10.
10) SNATCH…….Again it’s a marginal as most people saw it at the movies in 2000.But I waited for its video release after the ok Lock stock dint really grab me.But this is a far more superior product with much more style and humor and not a blatant Pulp Fiction rip off!.
Gangster wanna be Richie reall
y comes up trumps with the best British film in ages here and I cant wait for his next one………….8/10.
Heres some more I liked but didn’t make the cut.
STATE OF MAINE.