Newest Review: ... morons from the general public. The Love Trap had a heart, light hearted, and wasn't derivative and obvious. This was old fashioned telly... more
Ten romantic movies!
Top 10 Romance Programmes
Top 10 Romance Programmes
Date: 29/01/02, updated on 22/05/02 (251 review reads)
Advantages: Im a lover not a worker
Disadvantages: Not much thought gone into this
Im not a big softy and hunt down romantic films but here is some that may have had the girlfriend reaching for the tissues, or is that me and the porno’s with the tissues……
1) GHOST……….Not the best two contemporary actors of our generation but they certainly had some chemistry in this one. The days when Demi Moore was on the way to being the biggest star and Patrick Swayze was heading the other way, what ever happened to him!.
Anyway this is a film that really works as a young couple are split up when a scheming legal partner knocks off one of them.
But its not the last they see of each other as unbeknown medium Whoopi Goldberg plays go between as she and Swayze from the in-between world crack the crime before the sleaze ball can take the girl he loved so much.
I don’t know what it is with this film but It just works so well and leaves most with a tear in their eye. Even the impossibly cheesy ending.
2) CINEMA PARADISIO……Ok this foreign classic movie isn’t really a romance but a love between a little movie loving guy and the cinema of his youth and the people who bought him that pleasure. One such person was the local projectionist in a small post war Italian village where the catholic priest cuts all the naughty bits out of the films.
Even kisses are no no as the villagers have to find their thrills elsewhere. The young adorable kid you get in most Italian cinema classics slowly falls for a local girl as the cinema and the old man also compete for his affections.
If you haven’t seen this film yet you really are missing out on one of the best foreign films ever with a real tear jerking ending and soundtrack.
3) LOVERS OF THE ARTIC CIRCLE………This is an out and out classic foreign love story from Spain as we again are introduced to two gorgeous loveable young vivacious kids who meet at school.
Their parents are both divorced which res
ults in them hooking up to.
The young Anna thinks Otto is carrying the spirit of her father who dies at the start of the movie due to their portentous meeting. But his kindness and protective nature is more about his crush for here rather than any spirit of her daddy.
Later in the movie she realize this and the two have their first kiss at 14 in a kind of forbidden step brother step sister love. They are destined to be together yet the constraints of their family situation drive them apart.
Very romantic and beautifully made with the title explaining the ending and the directors love of palindromes and looping storylines…. Very intelligent romantic foreign classic.
4) IL POSTINO………..Again the bloody foreigners seem to do romance just right with a mix of enigmatic behavior and beautiful settings. This one is an Italian classic where the posty delivers mail to a deserted house that hides a notorious dissident and writer.
The man cherishes the postman’s visits to break the solitude and teaches him how to woo the beautiful local girl through poetry.
It’s very well written and perhaps a touch unrealistic that an ugly posty can eventually cop off with a stunning bird through a few fancy words.
But only this can happen through foreign cinema and for pure romantic escapism you cant afford to miss it.
5) REMAINS OF THE DAY…….Im not big fan of these Merchant Ivory costume jobs but this one just seems to grab you straight away. Prim and proper Butler (Anthony Hopkins) is torn between his house keeper Mrs Kenton (Emma Thompson) and his loyalty to his master.
The fastidious sexual tension between them is immense as the two hold back their feelings for each other in the correct and proper world of an English stately home.
All very English and painfully romantic.
6) MOONSTRUCK………..I just love all those old Italian American crooner soundtracks and romance i
n the city.
Cher is the widowed Oscar winning catholic girl who really should have a husband. But she settles for the wrong brother as Nicholas Cage steels here passion away from respectable dependable Danny Aileo.
Theres just something wonderfully romantic about these New York stories and I love it everytime.
7) OUT OF SIGHT……..Stephen Soddenburg seems to have a directing style like no other. And he certainly picks to stars for this enjoyable stylish romance with the most amazing chemistry between them.
Jennifer Lopez is a federal Marshall who is chasing down prison escapee George Clooney.
The two set eyes on each other for the first time during an opportunist jail break as the extremely sexy Jay Lo is bundled into the boot.
Its love at first sight on and probably off screen as we are taken on a road trip across America in this delightfully cool and twisting movie.
Its one of those videos that got a low under rated release and is really rather good.
8) LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL……….Ok I love romantic foreign films and theres none with a sadder end than this one. That crazy Italian actor who won the Oscar for this jumping around the Los Angeles auditorium is superb as the wacky local guy who woos the rich socialite from the big house.
The two share an unconventional love with their religion breaking them apart into the feared concentration camps.
The father uses his vivid imagination to protect his adorable son from the reality of the camps and keeps him alive as they day nears to cull the males of all ages.
As the camp empties and with his wife also incarcerated even though she’s not Jewish a terrible fate is awaiting them as their love for each other and the child keep them together even though she hasn’t seen her husband since the Nazis separated them.
The ending is so cruel and brutal that you fail to shed a tear in this amazing film which is more abou
t a mans love for his son to be truthful. Quite stunning Euro cinema and puts this years rubbish like Captain Correlis Mandolin to shame.
9) GREGORYS GIRL….……If you have ever had a crush on the cute girl at school then you know just how sweaty palmed he gets near the toothy all action girl Dorothy. We have all been the gooey ball of nerves near out childhood sweetheart and this captures it admirably.
And true to form he never early catches her eye and learns his lesson in life from the more promiscuous friend. Sadly that friend didn’t learn her lesson and life and released another record after the gimmicky Happy Birthday. Wonderful school yard romance that is true to life as you get when the gangly nerd chases the school babe.
10) SHADOWLANDS……Again Hopkins superb as writer C H Lewis who falls for an American girl in Deborah Winger which really wasn’t the done thing near the dreaming spire’s.
It’s a social class romance of adequate proportion with the erudite Hopkins falling for the pugnacious gal from over the pond. Can love prosper and no boundaries in turn of the century old England.The ending is so sad as it’s her health that determines this quandary in the big C.Wonderful period stuff.