Newest Review: ... with it (!) My Best Buy / sale I wanted to replace the modern doors with 1930s doors, which was more in keeping and had spent month... more
The profit making auction site
Date: 24/07/02, updated on 10/12/02 (28 review reads)
Advantages: make loads of friends, place to buy cheap, make lots of profit
Disadvantages: some non paying bidders, have to pay
I am sitting here drinking a mug of hot chocolate whilst i prepare to tell you about the world’s best online auction - Ebay! Did you know that you could work full/part or just odd times on ebay?
I was first told about Ebay when I was sitting at home looking through the newspaper for jobs. My boyfriend Paul came up to me and said about www.ebay.co.uk.
I thought to myself - an auction site! I've never heard of one of those before - so i typed the web address in thinking i have lots of stuff i need but i bet they will be very expensive.
I clicked into the web page. Everything was so pretty and colourful with easy access and links to other parts of the website. I first thought i would have a look in the search box located in the top left hand corner. What a surprise i had! I typed in CD and i soon got a long list (of about 1000 items) of items that matched CD. The best thing i noticed was that there were loads that started from 1penny! I thought to myself, this is surely a con - why would anyone sell a brand new CD album for 1penny!
That put me off wanting to use ebay. I decided it was perhaps a con and thought about all the facts too like how do you know that you're going to get the item you've won or will people send you the money if they bid on your items! These thoughts were wildly rushing through my mind, so i decided to take the next step and look through the "new users click here" blue box at the top of the page! I found loads of answers to many questions about auctions and the ebay site that i had, so i thought - i may as well give it a go - i might even enjoy it!
I clicked on register (also found at the top). It doesnt take long to register, only a couple of minutes. Though, the only thing that's a disadvantage is that you need a credit card to use ebay. You dont need to use the card once you start to use ebay, you just need to register those details so that ebay can see who you are (for secur
ity reasons and all), which is fair enough. It makes ebay a much more safe and secure online auction site.
Well anyway, it only asks for details about yourself so you can easily be identified if a problem should arise, and then you have to choose a certain user ID and password. You have to use your ID and password everytime you log into ebay to protect your account...more about accounts in a minute!
I joined ebay by clicking on a link in my email. Ebay sends confirmation emails to people who register so they can see if their email address works or not.
I confirmed my address and details and i was now an active member of ebay. I was given a member account (everybody has one). Information is kept in people's accounts showing what their account balance is. Unfortunately ebay is not free. It costs a minimum of 15p to list an item and they take off a fraction of the price your item sold for. In your account, you will also find a sellers page (this shows the items you are selling) and a bidding page (this shows the items you're bidding on). It also has many other features including a ME page. You can create your own ME page (sort of like a user profile on dooyoo), for everyone to see on ebay, and guess what! you can even use html! :).
I then started having a search on the website for certain items and noticed that every user has a number next to his or her name! I couldn't understand what it was, so i clicked on someones and it showed a feedback ratings page. Apparently when you complete a transaction (whether you are the bidder or the seller) you can leave each other feedback. I started looking through peoples feedback history. They were quite good and i thought to myself - i want one of them!
I began bidding on some really cheap stuff in the make up section. Where else can you buy loads of lipsticks for about a pound? the only place is ebay. Things sell dirt cheap. I have even got things for free! You cant beat that!!!!
It's not like other auction sites such as ebid or QXL where everything is quite dear and you dont have many people buying or selling items. It is the exact opposite. There are millions of people all around the globe (each country has its own ebay website, which can be accessed by every country)who use ebay. Some use it to sell stuff full time, part time or just in their spare time! However you decide to spend your time on ebay, you are guaranteed alot of profit.
It really does work! I put some make up on ebay for £6 and it sold for £34.50. I know that was probally a one off but it still happened. I also put some baywatch stuff on there for about a fiver and it sold for over £20. So as you can perhaps tell - i am addicted to ebay and have decided (like millions of other people all around the world) to make ebay my full time job.
I have now gained lots of feedback. There are 3 ratings of feedback that can be given (positive, negative and neutral). Unfortunately one of the biggest growing problems on ebay is the fact that you very often get people who wont pay you once they've won your item and also some who never reply to your emails whether you're the seller or the bidder! Then if you ask for their details from ebay (you're allowed to do this, as a transaction between two people is legally binding) you quite often find they are false. There has been a lot of complaints about this on ebay, but luckily Non paying bidders dont come very often and when they do, ebay has this system where you can claim your money back that ebay takes off your end bid and also you can file non paying bidder policies against non paying bidders, which leads to suspension after 3 complaints!
I have found ebay's staff very very helpful. I have very often had to email them with help and information and have always received a fast reply with loads of information! They are also very polite and friendly and makes ebay an even better place to be.
Ebay also has community boards where you can post messages and get replies. So if you have an urgent question about anything, there will always be someone there that can help you out. If not, someone might advise you to email ebay customer support and ask them!
There are even boards for just general chit chat. So if you get bored - just click on the community boards at the top middle of the page and join in on the fun.
Ebay has easier access to the different categories of items. You just have to go to the browse box at the top left and a whole page full of item categories will appear, which is great if you're not sure what to look for and you want any bargains!
There is alot of information being sold on ebay for wholesalers websites and information, which can help you make ebay your job. Just imagine the benefits of working on ebay!!!
1) No boss
2) Work the hours that suit you
3) Sell items for prices you want
4) Buy cheap items and then resell them
5) No uniform
6) Can have a break when you wish
Oh the list is endless!!!!
Even if you're not interested in working on there, why not get rid of some stuff that has been taking up so much room in your shed that you vowed to sell at the carboot sale last week but never got round to. Ebay is better than a carboot sale as at a carboot sale the items go for the prices you've put down or even less, whereas on ebay the items cant go for less and you will know that if your items sell you will get the price you put on or more.
It is amazing to think that you can even put your rubbish on ebay and the fact that someone somewhere in the world will buy it from you!
So, to sum it all up - these are in my opinion the best advantages about ebay!
1) The amount of people who use ebay (millions from every country)
2) The more chance of someone bidding on your auctions (theres more people on ebay than any other auction)
3) Buy items f
or yourself or others from an amazing price of 1penny +
4) There are the odd times when things are given away free (i have had a couple of free things since joining ebay)
5) You can advertise your item how you like as long as you are not misleading or lying. You can put pictures with it if you like (they sell better that way) or you can make it bold or put a reserve on it (for extra rates) etc.
6) Its easy and help is given whenever you need it.
7) You can do it all from the comfort of your own home. No driving to the auction sheds to do it.
8) There are help boards, community boards and staff there to help with any problems and issues should they arise.
9) You can make loads of friends from every corner of the earth :) and all from the comfort of your chair!
These are the bad points about ebay though (in my opinion).
1) You have to go to the post office alot
2) When you buy items you have to pay postage and packaging unless you live quite near each other (but then i guess if you were going to an auction shed you'd have to pay petrol to get to and from there)
3) You do get the odd people who dont pay for their items or dont reply to any of your emails. To combat this, i would seriously suggest (everyone else does this too) to send your items out only when the person has paid for it, that way you wont lose your money and your item!
4) ebay asks for fees if you are a seller. There are no fees for buyers! Fees aren't really that bad though - especially if you are making lots of profit. If you would like to see the ebay fees go to the website and look in the help boards.
5) Since using ebay, i've only had to put up with a couple of nasty ebayers. Ive been using it since December 2001. Mostly people on there are very lovely.
6) There was this one incident with this nasty girl on there, but that all got sorted especially with the help of other fellow ebay members.
So, in my opinion, the ad
vantages outdo the disadvantages by miles, so ebay is in fact, the best place for online shopping or online selling!
Thanks for looking at my opinion. I hope you haven't been bored :) Oh and one last thing... you cant use ebay during 9-11am on Friday mornings as that is when they are making updates to the website