Product Type: Tomy baby products
Newest Review: ... to offer comfort when wearing. I was able to bend down but every time I was bending down I had to use my other hand to hold my son in... more
no more hassle when out and about!
Tomy Freestyle Classic Baby Carrier
Member Name: MsTricia
Tomy Freestyle Classic Baby Carrier
Advantages: very secure, easy to use, holds baby in well
Disadvantages: can't use once baby gets bigger as caused me back ache :(
After reading some good reviews about it, I figured it wouldn't disappoint and it didn't! I bought it perhaps when my daughter was 3 months or so (in hindsight I should have got it from birth really!) and it was really easy to use. At first go it was quite fiddly, as there are a lot of straps and it seems quite complicated! However, once you have it on once it's pretty straightforward and you remember how it goes on.
*** How To Use ***
It is a front carrier only, meaning it cannot be positioned on the back (like giving baby a piggy back!) but can be used so baby is inwards facing or forward facing (advised from 3 months +). Personally I always used it with my daughter inward facing as most of the time she was in this, she was asleep!
It came with a picture diagram to explain how it goes on, as it has velcro straps to secure around my waist to make it adjustable for people of different sizes and shoulder straps which are to hold baby in place. The front compartment is for baby and has clips around baby's side to hold them in and then 2 hooks on the shoulder to hold baby up. The most practical way to use this is to put it on first simply over the head and secure at the waist, and adjust the straps to preferred suitability and then put baby in last.
*** My Opinion ***
There are both good and bad aspects to this carrier. Not one to end on a bad note I'll do the con's first!
1. It says it is designed for 0 - 12 months however, once my daughter reached 6 months using this just wasn't practical as she was far too heavy and giving me back ache! As it is only a front carrier, it probably would have been great to use for a 1 year old on my back but on my front she weighed me down and it was not comfortable at this stage at all.
2. It only comes in beige which isn't the most attractive of colours, I would have preferred it in black to be honest.
3. Where baby does go forward facing, there is a flap under baby's chin which never seems to actually stay down and folded. This isn't such a problem when baby is in the carrier facing me as this flat is actually just shielding the back of my daughter's head but having her facing outwards she found it annoying and of course just screeched her little head off!
Pros's - of which there are more!
1. It really is comfortable to use and makes getting around with a little one much easier, which to be honest is the entire reason I bought it, and for this it was great.
2. It's machine washable so easy to clean and although a neutral colour it washes well.
3. The adjustable straps are easy to use and customise, so both me and my partner had great ease using this and taking turns carrying our daughter out in it. It may arrive looking like a bundle of straps and you may wonder where to start, but once you put it on once you realise how straightforward it is!
4. The straps are also thick and secure, and although I was hesitant about velcro being the attachment holding my baby onto me rather than the floor it actually was really strong, and after 3 months consistent use the quality didn't wain and so it is quite long lasting.
5. It allows you to be much closer to your baby, and if you are out in public transport you will save time and hassle from trying to battle the other mothers and their prams on the bus/train!
*** Overview ***
Overall, this is actually a really great carrier and I would definitely recommend it. I haven't used any others to be able to make comparisons, but I had only minor problems with this one, and should I pop another one out I will definitely be using a carrier the majority of the time from birth! Even though I drive now, going to supermarkets etc these are so much easier to use, as you can be hands free and do more things like normal whilst still maintaining a close bond with your new baby :)
The Tomy Freestyle Classic Carrier has easy to use clips for quick fitting and adjusting, 2 carrying positions allowing baby to be carried facing inwards or outwards (from 3 months) and is machine washable, 100% cotton for natural softness, durability and easy care.
Summary: great front carrier from tomy
More reviews in the field of Baby Carrier
- Want to know which carriers best - put the Baby Bjorn to the test
- BabyHawk mei tai baby carrier - pros and cons
- The Number One Baby Carrier
- Ergobaby carrier. Best carrier in its class!
- great if you have 2 pairs of hands
- The classic of all baby carriers?
- Optional extra? Essential purchase more like it!