Product Type: Urban Fresh Fruit Baking & Ingredients
Newest Review: ... resealable and boast of containing 100% fruit with no added nasties. It is clear from the picture on the front of the packaging which frui... more
Urban Fresh Dried Strawberries
Member Name: Ladyboosh
Urban Fresh Dried Strawberries
Advantages: Satisfy sweet cravings without anything artificial.
Disadvantages: A bit pricey when not on offer.
I was scanning the aisles of my local Sainsburys a few months ago, searching for something vaguely healthy for my boys to snack on after school. Of course, given the choice they would choose fatty, salty crisps or sugary biscuits, but I had other ideas. I found the Urban Fruit range, which were on offer at two packs for £3, so I picked up some cherries and strawberries. These cute 90g packs are resealable and boast of containing 100% fruit with no added nasties. It is clear from the picture on the front of the packaging which fruit you are buying and I felt quite virtuous putting them into my trolley.
When the boys returned from school they took one look at the packet and flatly refused to even try them. Defeated, I opened the strawberries and was immediately smacked in the chops with the smell of summer. The aroma was strawberries and sunshine, as if the fruit had been laid out on a sunbed and served chilled sangria. In fact, according to the blurb on the packaging they are gently baked in the oven to intensify the sweet flavour. So, the smell is divine but these dried berries are no lookers. Shrivelled and dark brown, they seemed rather sad but when I popped one into my mouth I was pleasantly surprised. They were chewy, a bit like a wine gum and although they still tasted of strawberry, the sweetness had gone to another level, almost to toffee. I can't abide gummy sweets like Haribo as they taste so artificial but these were like the best gummy sweet ever, sticky and satisfying. And one serving counts as one of your five a day - bonus!
I tried the cherries and although they were ok they were quite sour. In my opinion the strawberries definitely taste the best and I now buy them regularly, though I still can't get the kids to try them!
These are ideal for popping into your handbag or lunchbox for a guilt-free snack on the go. I recommend them.
Summary: Younger children could be fooled into thinking they are sweeties!
More reviews in the field of Baking & Ingredients
- If only these counted as part of my five a day...
- Easy, simple, cheap and tastes great
- Great taste.
- Spray cream - everywhere!
- quick and easy meal!
- When it comes to sweetness, man cannot compete with nature
- A favourite storecupboard staple in our house
- Colman's Chilli Mix
- Chocoholics heaven!
- Frozen Fruityness
- Scrapcooking Minisucres Flower Shaped Sugar Decorations
- Scrapcooking Mini Sugars Multicolours Pearls
- My Little Cupcake Cake Pop Mini Mold Cupcake Shaped Mould
- My Little Cupcake Cake Pop Mini Mold Ball Shaped Mould
- Lékué Silicone Cake Pops Mold Pink Mould
- Lékué Silicone Cake Pops Kit
- Sosa Ingredients Refined Isomalt
- Scrapcooking Iridescent Powder For Food Use Silver
- Scrapcooking Iridescent Powder For Food Use Red
- Scrapcooking Iridescent Powder For Food Use Gold