“ Banks Type: Online banking „
I wanted to write a review of the experience I have had so far setting up and using an account with Halifax. I originally applied online, but something went wrong with their system and so I went in branch where I live to try there. I walked in and was greeted by a lady on their customer service desk, she was able to book me an appointment for the next day to open an account. She was very friendly and told me who my appointment was with.
I came the next day armed with my address proof and passport. I was seen immediately on time by an advisor. He opened the account within 10 minutes, all I had to show was my passport. He also set up my online banking there and then.
I thought that the service was very helpful, fast and also informative. He offered me a credit card as well with no interest charged for 6 months, and also got me an overdraft with no interest for 6 months. The bank also gave me £100 on the day in my account for switching over my direct debits and salary.
The branch was clean, had lots of space even though it was busy and it was easy to find someone to ask for help. The guy who opened my account made conversation and was very pleasant and made me feel comfortable to be in the bank.
I have received and used my new card that came in the post around a week after opening the account. I was able to access online banking straight away although I forgot my memorable information so need to sort that out!
I have been with the Halifax for 3 years now, Despite the bad press they have received in recent years they are actually the best bank I have ever dealt with. They always have people available to discuss your bank account. Branch coverage is excellent , the staff are polite friendly and helpful. Everything with them runs very smoothly indeed:
1) Telephone Banking, 24/7 365 great professional courteous staff who always service my calls with a minimum of fuss and as quickly as possible. One annoying factor at the minute is that every time I ring they try to sell me something.
2) online banking, - Brilliant! very easy to follow, straightforward and you can view all your accounts including shares, savings & even credit cards online. If you are Green they will also send you your statements online to cut out paper usage. These are easily achieved. The best online baking service I've used, you can create and amend payments and transfer money with ease.
3) Charges - gone are the days of the paid item charge of £35 per item and £28 for unauthorised use of overdraft, I had to ring about these on occasion and got some reversals on this BTW. As I stated above they have now done away with this and replaced it with a daily fee for use of overdraft, If you use your overdraft between £0 and £2500 they charge £1 per day so if you use it for 30 days that's £30 a month! and your not paying back your overdraft any. For those who have larger overdrafts it gets worse, if you use over the £2500 amount its £2 per day, worse still if you go over your arranged limit you pay £5 per day - Debit interest has been abolished.
4) Accounts - They offer 3 types of current account:
Standard account for which you pay the fees as described above, you also get no credit interest, the accounts send and receive faster payments.
Reward account: the same as above with one exception - if you pay in £1000 over the course of a calendar month you get s £5 reward payment on the 1st of the following month - you may have seen the recent add campaign surrounding this.
Ultimate Reward Account: You have to pay £12.50 for this account... It also gives you the £5 reward payment but comes with a range of benefits including the first £300 of your overdraft being exempt form the daily fees, so if you use a small overdraft it might be more worth your while having this account and paying £12.50 less the £5 = £7.50, instead of £30 a month for using any overdraft up to the £300 mark, Imagine being into your overdraft by a penny for a month and paying £30 for it. Other Benefits include commission free travel money, Multi trip Travel insurance for 2 adults and unlimited children, Breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance, 15% discounts on home & Car insurance with Halifax and card protection.
5) Branches and staff - again plentiful and helpful, although when in the Brach they tend to try and get you to use the lodgement machines instead of going to the counter!
Because I'm overdrawn at the moment I've no choice but to go for the Ultimate reward, When I learned about the changes I jumped ship to Alliance and Leicester were as my review on same proves that sometimes its better the devil you know.
I would recommend Halifax as a whole providing your not going to be deep into an overdraft - you could be paying £62 in a 31 day calendar month after all for the privilege.
Thanks for reading
I have just this week set up an online banking service with my bank, Halifax and have found the set up process easy to do. It is good as it allows you to receive statements and information on your account online and allows you to check your balance at any time. Also by having this online banking service gives you access to online share dealing if you choose as well as the ability to transfer money online between your different online accounts which is an advantge as it is quick, simple and allows you to ensure you have your money where it is needed. The setup takes about a week from first applying to getting access to your online account as you have to wait for them to sent you a password by mail which can take a few days in the post. I would recomend anyone to sign up and start banking online as it is a great service.