Newest Review: ... problems to speak of, but watching the account as I do, I feel it has become a lot less competitive, particularly of late. For example th... more
Good rate of interest, great customer service, friendly people
Member Name: steve_gb
Date: 08/04/12, updated on 08/04/12 (66 review reads)
Advantages: Online, via High Street Co-Op bank or via phone they are always friendly and helpful
Disadvantages: If you don't live near a Co-Op bank you have to post cheques to pay them in
I switched to Smile from HSBC a few years ago, primarily because of the fact they only invest ethically. One other happy consequence is that the interest on the current account was higher (confirmed again today by a quick glance at the Money section of the newspaper but obviously check yourself!).
No regrets at all since then.
Smile are an online bank so all transactions take place online - checking balances, manging transfers etc... and they make it very easy for you. In addition to the online account you can telephone them (a call centre in Britain) and they seem to be able to do everything for you over the phone that you can do yourself online. You can also visit any branch of the Co-Op Bank for face to face assistance, to pay in cheques and so on.
For me, interest rates aside, this is what differentiates banks and Smile have never left me anything but, erm, Smiling. Whether via the Co-Op Bank, over the telephone or online they've always been prompt and polite. Two examples:
- when I had issues with theft abroad they couldn't have been any nicer or quicker to help me resolve it
- whenever I post a query online I get an answer within hours - I don't know what their target is but I don't think I've ever waited more than a few hours...certainly by the end of the next working day there's always an answer waiting for me.
I couldn't recommend them any higher.
Summary: Couldn't recommend them higher
More reviews in the field of Bank
- Awful backwards slow and rude
- Gone downhill over the years
- More lucky than some?
- Switcher service
- DO NOT GO FOR MORTGAGE WITH LLOYDS!!!!!!!!
- Comprehensive and secure online banking site
- Do Halifax Still Give You Extra?
- Banking online with Lloyds
- A System of Two Halves
- Avoid at all costs as the customer service & technology behind Yorkshire Buildin ...