Newest Review: ... candles and/or flowers in vases on the tables. There aren't a great deal of tables around but when I was there, there seemed to always be... more
Cafe Jozef K
Cafe Jozef K (Gdansk, Poland)
Member Name: dangaroo
Cafe Jozef K (Gdansk, Poland)
Date: 27/08/08, updated on 27/08/08 (52 review reads)
Advantages: Tasty beer, relaxing atmosphere
Disadvantages: Sopot prices!
Cafe Jozef K, is a pub/cafe in Sopot, like no other in the Trojmiasto (Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia) area. Located down a small side street close to the train station and a short walk from the main street (Monte Cassino), this place has a very cosy atmosphere, it's decorated in a mixture of wood and wrought-iron and has wonky weird paintings on the wall, enormous candles and/or flowers in vases on the tables.
There aren't a great deal of tables around but when I was there, there seemed to always be one available. Friendly staff and a stylish host in the way of a cheeky parrot who like most parrots seems keen on sending mild abuse in the way of his customers, fortunately this one does pipe down and not go over the top though!
The people I was with at the time, liked the relaxed feel to the place but personally I prefer a more raw bar, however these feelings were numbed on discovery that the pub sold Kozlak, a tasty dark beer that goes down easier than Derby County when promoted a year too early! A feature that seemed poopular is that the tables used had enormous draws filled with poetry and stuff that guests had written. Some of which, I'm told was very good!
They also offered what looked like incredibly scrumptious home-made desserts. It was raining like mad when we were there but during nice days, it would be possible to sit outside by the street in a beer garden. Beer at around 7,5zl is fairly reasonable as this part of Sopot is dear.
I'm unable to confirm the opening hours but I would hazard a guess at something like 11am-11pm. The address is ul. Kościuszki 4/1b and as it's next to the station and the main streem, it's unlikely you'll need any public transport to get there.
Summary: A must visit pub if in the area
More reviews in the field of Bar / Cafe International
- starbucks clones people!
- Bar Below - Decent expat joint
- Hawaii and Hasselhoff in a pub? What's this!
- Paddy's Day in Ryans!
- Shopping in a German city? Then have a drink and a snack in the Karstadt Cafeter ...
- ALL NIGHT LONG (well almost) at THE FIESTA (Snack Bar & Grill)
- Mestiansky Pivovar - Proving Slovaks Know Beer Too
- A Practical Use for Kitchen Utensils!
- MMMM... Minty!
- the Austrian take on Starbucks
- Schiffchen (Koblenz, Germany)
- Schirncafe (Frankfurt, Germany)
- Schlappen (Freiburg, Germany)
- Íslenski Barinn (Reykjavik)
- Cegielnia (Wroclaw, Poland)
- Czarny Kot (Boleslawiec)
- Moment Cafe (Krakow, Poland)
- Crabby Jacks Restaurant (Guernsey)
- Schlappeseppel (Aschaffenburg, Germany)
- Schilleroper (Hamburg, Germany)