* Prices may differ from that shown
I recently placed an order with Pharmacy First for some cheapo generic antihistamines etc, and noticed while I was browsing the site they stocked Burt's Bees. I decided since I would be saving so much on hayfever medicine, it would be rude not to pick up a gift set from one of my favourite bath and body brands to treat myself. It makes sense, right?
The set I picked up was the Essential Body Gift Set because it held the most items which I had not yet tried. The RRP is around £15, but I picked it up for £10.99.
When it arrived I have to admit I was slightly disappointed with the size of it. Everything is really tiny. It did clearly say everything was travel size, but to me travel size is pretty much big enough to last you a short trip. Then I thought about it, and realised that Burt's Bees is pretty pricey, and that in this set I am getting a full-size lip balm worth £3.50 and seven other minis, that's pretty good going, especially as two of those are decently-sized in their own right as you only use a little at a time. I'm certain this set is designed to entice you to buy full-sized versions, but fair play Burt!
The items all come packed into a clear plastic bag with a zip top. It doesn't look the classiest, I'll be honest, but it holds everything with room to spare for a few more (equally tiny) items.
Inside the kit we have:
1) Replenishing Pomegranate Lip Balm - I already reviewed this yesterday, but I really love this product. It's a big improvement, in my humble opinion, on the standard Burt's Bees balm, which in its own right has become somewhat of a cult classic. A very good balm, and this is full-size.
2) Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream - I already own this in full-size, although this dinky little pot is perfect. You use so little, and I tend to use the product sporadically anyway, it makes more sense to not have such a huge tin. This smells absolutely gorgeous (I can't stop sniffing it) and softens cuticles as well as nourishing nails.
3) Hand Salve - A very strong old-lady lavender scent, and not really a product I need that much as my hands are overly dry, but it sinks in easily and has such a nice consistency that I'm sure it would work wonders on dry, hard-working hands or feet. (Mine just don't work all that hard!)
4) Milk and Honey Body Lotion - Another amazing-smelling product. I absolutely cannot stop snififng thsi! It smells to me like some kind of oatmeal cookie. It glides into the skin, my only reservation being that once there it feels a tad sticky for a while. The scent makes up for that. Although a really tiny bottle came in the set (a mere 29.5ml), a little goes quite far, although it's going to be hard to pass up buying a full-sized version of this...
5) Citrus and Ginger Root Body Wash - This is probably one of my least favourite items in the set. The bottle is really small, same as the lotion, and it's not something I will be repurchasing. It smells invigorating and would probably be great for getting you up in the morning, but grapefruit isn't something I necessarily aspire to smell like. For me, it is just absolutely too pricey when I can buy a bog-standard body wash that smells great much much cheaper.
6) Radiance Day Cream - I have exceedingly dry skin at times, and I was excited to try this out. It sinks into the skin quickly, however then I can't really feel any noticeable difference. I know I do have exceedingly dry skin, which is very thirsty, but I can't warrant slathering loads of this over my face when it costs £20 a jar, as does the night cream. I'll be sticking to my Body Shop Vitamin E thanks!
7) Peppermint Foot Lotion - This smells really divine and is extremely cooling and soothing to tired feet. Although my feet aren't exactly a problem area, I would definitely repurchase this if they were and I am glad to have a mini tube around in case mine get a bit achey! Incidentally my mum swears by the coconut foot lotion, as she can't abide peppermint scents, but sadly I can't abide coconut!
8) Peach and Willowbark Deep Pore Scrub - Having tried the Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub, I was expecting a much rougher scrub, however I was slightly disappointed to find a cream with very few "scrubby bits" inside. While that does mean it's more gentle than other scrubs, it is also more ineffective, and as such I won't be buying it again. The hunt for a decent scrub continues!
All in all, this set is a really nice treat if you want to try out several products from the Burt's Bees range at once. The bottles are so small you are only looking at a couple of uses from most of the products, but the hand salve and cuticle cream are really ample, not to mention a full-size lip balm. I will definitely be pining for a full-size of the milk and honey body lotion, and will enjoy using the rest of the products up.