Product Type: Simplehuman Kitchen Bin
Newest Review: ... having to fork out a truly ridiculous sum of money, I was delighted when we spotted the Simplehuman 30 litre pedal bin at £45. This was c... more
I think I'm in love - with a bin! (What a saddo!)
Simplehuman Round Bin
Member Name: best_deal_hunter
Simplehuman Round Bin
Advantages: Sleek design, sturdy pedal, looks great
Disadvantages: Custom bin bags a bit pricey
Having just about come to the end of a marathon kitchen extend and refit, we're just at the 'finishing touches' stage. One look round the kitchen and it was painfully obvious that our grotty old plastic bin had to go! Now I'm a girl for a bargain, but our kitchen layout is such that the bin is one of the first things you see and it seemed a shame to ruin the whole effect by being stingy on the bin front.
So, I dutifully had a quick look at reviews of posh Brabantia bins on dooyoo, then off we popped to John Lewis to have a look.
Once there we found a choice of the aforesaid Brabantia, John Lewis own brand bins, and Simplehuman - a brand I had only slightly heard of but had the impression they were even more expensive. We spent ages trying out all the various 'soft touch' lids and the pedals of the pedal bins - got some funny looks, but while it's all very well looking smart, if a pedal isn't up to heavy use I'm not going to be buying.
Having prepared myself for the prospect of having to fork out a truly ridiculous sum of money, I was delighted when we spotted the Simplehuman 30 litre pedal bin at £45. This was considerably cheaper than many of the alternatives. It had everything we were looking for, so search over ... it's now sitting proudly in my kitchen. I know it's just a bin, but I am quite delighted with it. Sometimes it's the small things that make all the difference!
Reasons I love it :
1. It's a pedal bin, so no need to be touching the lid and spreading germs
2. The pedal is very sturdy, feels like it will cope with the heavy use it will get in a kitchen
3. It's very smart - shiny silver with a strong black plastic lid
4. It's fingerprint-proof! I have tested this out, trying my best to leave a fingerprint on its pristine surface, but haven't managed to
5. It has a removable inner bin with a kind of shelf inside the main bin to rest the inner bin on to make changing bags very easy
6. If you use their bin bags (3 provided free so you can try them out) they fit exactly and fit over the inner bin so they don't show when the bin is closed - no unsightly overhang!
7. It's quite a tall, thin design so doesn't take up much floor space
8. Despite being quite a narrow bin, the lid lifts completely so the bin opening is fairly wide - this was a problem with some others we looked at
9. There is a 'stay open' function on the bin so you don't need to keep using the pedal if you have a lot to throw away in one go
10. It's a sleek and stylish design, doesn't look like a dalek (naming no names, but one we saw did!)
It was very useful actually going to see - before going I would have guessed we would need a bin bigger than 30 litres, but in the event we realised these were a perfectly decent size, especially now we recycle so much (aren't we good!) and so we aren't left with the kitchen-dominating mistake I would probably have made if I'd guessed on size and bought online.
The only minor disadvantage is the price of the bin bags - a pack of 20 set us back almost a fiver. However, because most of our waste goes into various recycling boxes now, we don't find we need to empty this bin very often, so I am prepared to pay this to have a good strong bag which fits exactly. I do think I will probably give the cheaper bin bags a go too though to see if they do the job well enough.
Summary: The best kitchen bin I've seen!
More reviews in the field of Bin
- There's Nothing Rubbish About This Bin
- Is it sad to get excited about a bin?
- Ben The Bin as seen on Dragons Den
- Not a 'waste' of money
- Retro bin that doesn't quite fit the liner
- Bins! We all need one!
- =Tesco swing bin liners - value by nature, just ok by use, but don't expect mir ...
- Superhuman by name - superstar by nature - a little bin with a 1001 uses
- I'm falling in love with Brabantia!!
- Brilliant bin