Newest Review: ... assumptions given that it emphasises how much he wasnt allowed to talk to them. I really enjoyed reading this book and found that once I... more
On The Edge- Insightful and Heartfelt
On The Edge - Richard Hammond
Member Name: f0007
On The Edge - Richard Hammond
Advantages: Hard to put down! Easy Read!
Disadvantages: Fairly expensive.
I must admit I've never been one to read autobiographies but being an avid Top Gear fan I had to give this one a go and I think he may have changed my opinion! This book is honest and heartfelt and gives a good insight into the accident itself. It was interesting to read about how he saw the accident, not just what you read in the media and after reading this is seems as though the media made a fair few assumptions given that it emphasises how much he wasnt allowed to talk to them. I really enjoyed reading this book and found that once I have picked it up I couldn't put it back down! All I wanted to do was read more about him and get more of an understanding of what really happened and how it effected peoples lives. It has a good layout in that there are parts of the book which are written in Richard's point of view and part in Mindy's giving the insight from both sides. This does however mean that some parts of the story are duplicated but it just adds more depth to what you'ce already read. It also means that if you are so engrossed in the story that you havent noticed that the writing has changed (to show difference between Richard and Mindy's point of view) then you can easily confused. The book is fairly large considering it is mostly about the accident but you also get a look into how he got the job at Top Gear which I found enthralling. However, the writing itself is well structured and easy to read. There is no technical terminology about cars which keep cropping up as that is not what the book is about, its a deep insight into his life and one of the most personal parts of his life at that. If you have ever watched top gear you can easily tell that the words really are Hammond's as a lot of it has his phrasing and twang, it just sounds like him. As far as price goes I personally think that autobiographies are incredibly expensive anyway but this one is defiantly worth spending some moeny for!
Summary: An amazing read, very insightful and personal.
More reviews in the field of Biography
- An Entertaining read about entertaining films
- A MUST read for true crime fans,
- A gripping, but questionable history of Communist China
- An extraordinary life
- The elder statesman of British entertainment
- Damaged, a truly heartbreaking story you won't be able to put down
- It's True! - Today Everything Changes
- Moab is My Washpot - Stephen Fry's First Autobiography.
- A life out of control
- House of shame
- The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe - Sarah Churchwell
- Confessions of a Bad Mother - Stephanie Calman
- John Lennon: The Life - Philip Norman
- Children of Dust - Ali Eteraz
- Beyond the Call of Duty - Roger Penn
- Gypsy Boy: One Boy's Struggle to Escape from a Secret World - Mikey Walsh
- We Won The Lottery: Real Life Winner Stories - Danny Buckland
- Thank You for the Days: A Boys' Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond - Mark Radcli ...
- Fighting for Queen and Country - Nigel Ely
- My Father's Keeper - Julie Gregory