This is the middle product from a 5 product category ranging from £69 at entry level up to £249 top level, I believe I paid £130 roughly for the middle of the range product, which I felt met my needs as much as the more expensive ones.
It provided this basic summary of the product which told me everything I needed to know "It’s compact in size but big on features, equipped with built-in ‘super’ Wi-Fi, DLNA streaming and access to the Sony Entertainment Network – oh, and 3D Blu-ray playback of course" This at the time of purchase had more than I actually needed and provided me with what I was assured would be "A great viewing experience"
About the Product:
It continues Sony''''s sense of Quartz range with the triangular panels on top but this product comes with a mirrored front to give it a more lets say classy feel! It is also half the size of most blu-ray players but this, which is good for limited spaces also caused minor issues as only a select few things are available on the back e.g. HDMI output and other basics. One final drawback of this product is, in keeping the price down the materials used do not fill me with the greatest confidence in its durability, however it has lasted a fairly substantial time (with limited use)
- 3D capable
- "Super Wi-fi" this to Sony means a stronger connection (it is true)
- Can access sony entertainment network to access Amazon Instant Video, Netflix and Sony’s Video Unlimited service, plus You Tube, BBC iPlayer, Demand 5, BBC News, BBC Sport, Sky News and lots of niche services. The music line-up comprises Music Unlimited, Berliner Philharmoniker, National Public Radio and most useful of all vTuner internet radio
- The deck also supports Miracast screen mirroring technology, which allows you to display the screen of a compatible mobile device on your TV over a peer-to-peer Wi-Fi connection (I have never used this but it is there if I ever want to)
- Absolutely nothing has changed from all Sony products, it is easy, logical and set up so even the least technologically gifted can use it. That is all I can say on that!
- Considering this is based on the Blu-ray bit the picture quality is excellent in 2D or 3D providing a crisp, vibrant and devoid of sound image, which is all we all want from such a piece of technology.
Overall rating - 8.5/10
Should you buy it?
Well it is slightly outdated and there are better blu-ray players but for the money I don''''t think anything can provide a better performance, design and size, yet still provide such excellent extra features such as the "Super Wi-Fi" therefore I would recommend it to anyone looking for a midrange blu-ray player!
Enjoy smarter entertainment from the comfort of your sofa with the brilliant Sony BDPS5200B.
Designed to be the Hub of Entertainment, the S5200 sports fantastic HD and 3D playback, bringing your favourite movies to life in stunning clarity.
Connect quickly to your home network and enjoy access to a large selection of different video on demand services. Simply connect using super speed Wi-Fi and access services like BBC iPlayer or browse the web with a fully function web browser.
Super quick start means your Blu-Ray player boots up in less than a second, letting you enjoy the films you love without having to wait around.