Product Type: Tesco Breakfast
Newest Review: ... about 75p for a 1kg bag, and is easy to make. When making it you just need half a cup of oats and one and half cups of water. Put them ... more
All oats are just oats!
Tesco Value Porridge Oats
Member Name: Kahdeksantoista
Tesco Value Porridge Oats
Advantages: Very cheap, not packed with rubbish, fast to make.
Disadvantages: The plastic bag, it is filled to burst with porridge oats so you need a container or tape it shut.
1kg bag of basic porridge oats. No stupid ingredients. Stored in a strong plastic bag.
Currently they are sold at 99p. Most own brand cereals are sold less than £1 which I like very much because these cereals last a long time. I used to buy brand cereals and spend £2-£2.90 on a 375-500g box that lasted me a week, and there is only two of us in the house! This £1, 1kg bag lasts us about 3 weeks.
*HOW IT WORKS FOR ME*
Based on 50g of porridge per person.
This porridge can be made with water or milk, it primarily suggests water but that made me feel sick! I have always made porridge with milk. The heating instructions are different based on how you cook it and what microwave wattage. Through personal experience I have always noticed that cooking porridge to box instructions results in incinerated, lumpy porridge. This one says to measure out the milk then cook for two minutes (850w microwave), stir, then cook again for two minutes. After the first two minutes I found that the porridge was already cooked. One stir to get the oats to soak up the remaining milk and I had nice creamy porridge.
To cook on the hob it takes 2-3 minutes after bringing to the boil and leaving to simmer. Though the microwave option is just as good and requires less washing up. These do taste quite plain and no matter what anyone says, expensive oats and own brand oats are JUST oats and taste no different. You might as well give Quaker an extra quid. They taste great with just a spoonful of sugar but I personally add a bit of blackcurrant jam. Very filling and only take a couple of minutes longer than dry cereal.
Summary: A very good product, quick, easy and tasty, lasts over twice as long as brand cereal.
More reviews in the field of Breakfast
- Yummy and Delicious
- Yummy smooth porridge
- Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Cornflakes: I'm completely nuts about these
- cornflakes plain but the best
- Tesco Value Porridge Oats
- Get some corn...
- A healthier cereal but be it could keep your dentist in business
- Weetabix in the morning
- Quaker Oats So Simple Apple & Blueberry - If you can find them!
- Quaker Oats So Simple Golden Syrup - Start your morning the sweeter way!
- Mestemacher Walnut Wholemeal Bread Sylt
- Mestemacher Natural Rye & Spelt Bread Whole grain
- Mestemacher Bread Pumpernickel
- Kelloggs Pop Tarts Chocolate Fudge
- Quaker Oat So Simple Apple Sultana Raisin & Cranberry
- Nestlé Cinnamon Grahams
- Weetabix The Whole Grain Cereal
- Tesco Fruit & Fibre Breakfast Cereal
- Jordans Organic Crisp & Flakes Maple & Pecan
- Kellogg's Special K Purple Berries