This car was sold to me by my dad, I was at 21 years of age and I got it for £1,000. It had 82,000 on the clock as it was used for long distance commuting. Its one of the 2002 51 plate accents.
Time for my views, as more reviewers have said there are a few minor adjustments to the interiors. The indicators are switched to the right hand side, which is weird, but easy to get used to. I can drive multiple cars and still be used to this, plus its ALOT easier to use whilst turning.
The accents are known for their bulbs to keep going. Within 2 years ive had to replace 3. Ive had my brake pads replaced, which is understandable and my MOT's seem to be going quite well (only failed on 3 things once). Its by far the most reliable car Ive had as of yet, but needs a bit of attention.
The accent has got a reasonable speed, and I have nothing bad to really say about this car after 2 years. Its not the most beautiful looking car, but if that is needed, it can easily be made to look nicer. The boot space is great, the petrol usage is better than my previous cars too. The space in the front is incredible, but in the back seats it kind of lacks in space. I have noticed too that the car is rather low, which my mum doesn't like when she drove it once.
From a young drivers view, I find it to be quite efficient and has a good speed (not that im that bothered on its speed). From my dads view, its a great runner and is really comfortable to drive.
If offered this car for a good price, id recommend!
My husband was given this car by his parents, who paid a grand total of £60 for it! (Don't ask me how they managed that.) He owned the car for 2 years, during which time I was learning to drive in it too.
It is a fantastic car for first time drivers, I loved it so much that I am now looking to buy my own!
- There is no power steering but I didn't find this a problem as the car is pretty light and easy to handle.
- As other reviewers have mentioned, the indicators are on the other side to most cars. Once you get use to this it is actually easier, especially on roundabouts.
- Parts for these cars are cheap and pretty easy to get hold of. If you service your own cars you will find this an easy one to work on.
- To buy second hand the accent is a fantastic budget price car that actually manages to look almost sporty, especially if you have the 3 door coupe.
- It is cheap to tax, cheap to insure and a perfect car for learners and first time drivers while not being totally gutless like many similar priced competitors.
- The boot is surprisingly big!
- The suspension joints/anti roll bar links have a tendency to go and you must keep and eye on the bushes, but these are fairly easy problems to fix if they do happen.
- For some reason a common fault is the front windows getting stuck up, a bit of a pain to fix so people don't tend to bother unless it's on the drivers side. Check for this when buying an old one.
- There's no passenger side vanity mirror.
The Hyundai Accent coupe is my first car and I was lucky enough to receive it for my 21st birthday in a deep red colour. It is a P reg, (6 years old) OK, we’ll start off with the bad points: 1) It has no power steering – it is quite heavy as it is not a small car and can be difficult to manoeuvre 2) It has no central locking and for a dippy blonde like me can mean leaving the doors open… 3) The indicator is on the wrong side - again, for a dippy blonde like me, I keep getting windscreen wipers instead of indicators, but I’m sure this is something I’ll get used to. So, good points: 1) It has no power steering – Good for toning those upper arms 2) It has a good, large powerful engine – 1345cc – but is still in the lower tax band. 3) It handles high speeds very well – no shaking or rattling 4) No unwanted wind noises at high speed 5) Parts are easy to get and are reasonable price. 6) Huuuuge boot (good for all my shoes and outfit changes) 7) Very comfortable, lots of room both in the front and rear 8) Good mirrors for lippie 9) You can buy pink foot pedals to fit it 10) Apparently, it is very good value for money (or so my dad says – he won’t tell me how much) we got ours from an auction and it was well worth it. We had a full service on it and all we had to do on it was get the tyres changes. I have been told it is a very reliable car with a good long life and reliable engine. I can vouch for this in the time that I have had it. 11) It looks good. 12) It feels very safe when driving, especially at hight speeds. OK, it doesn't have air bags and so on, but it is a very sturdy car. It doesn't struggle, it doesn't make strange noises and you feel as though you have enough around you t protect you - unlike a Ford Ka, for example (Sorry Ford Ka drivers!) It still needs a name – any suggestions a
re greatly appreciated. So there we are; a review by a girl, for a girl – happy driving!!