Product Type: Peugeot cars
Newest Review: ... it myself. Fast, comfy and most importantly immense fun to hustle down a country road! Having come from a Clio 172 that I kept for less ... more
Expensive, but worth it
Peugeot 306 GTi
Member Name: mwl001
Peugeot 306 GTi
Date: 06/10/03, updated on 06/10/03 (3760 review reads)
Advantages: Fast, Good Handling, Fast
Disadvantages: Unreliable at times, Expensive parts
Well, as all the other reviews so far have mentioned reliability is not the 306 GTi's stongest feature. But then if you wanted reliability you wouldn't be looking at a Peugeot in the first place!
3 years on and I have had:
- Broken Speed sensor (unfortunately the engine management system detected this and kindly switched the engine off for me, and only 12 hours after I bought the car!)
- Oil leak (although possibly caused by the repair to the speed sensor)
- Broken power steering ram
- Water leak from the ventilation system somewhere
- Air bag sensor fault (annoying problem that required a complaint to head office to resolve)
- Air conditioning pipe failure (plus an ongoing unidentified air con problem)
- Radiator failure (although possibly caused by the air pipe replacement as the hole was next to a clip holding the new air con pipe......... I have changed to a different peugeot dealer)
The biggest problem with the poor reliability is the fact that the engine (and some other parts) is completely different to others in the 306 series, this means that the Haynes manual does not cover the GTi and your local garage may well take some time to get certain parts in and most parts cost more than on a standard 306. Ring a garage and ask for a price on a part and they usually say '£xx as long as it is not a GTi'.
Before buying one find out how good your local Peugeot dealer is, you will get to know soon after buying one if not!
I can also confirm some of the other comments made so far:
- Black shows the dirt but does look great when clean
- The turning circle to the right is abismal (due to the size of the 6 speed box I am told), however turning to the left is the same (or least similar) to a standard GTi,
- Rear speakers are good, front speakers are average
- Performance is fantastic for the price of the car
- Insurance is expensive but shop around and you can save £100'
- Ride is a bit harsh on bumpy roads but seats are comfortable enough
- Handling is excellent
The car is well equiped safety wise with 4 air bags, 2 front and 2 side (although the side ones destroy the seats if activated, better than the driver being destroyed I suppose), disc brakes all round with ABS and wide tyres to help keep you on the road.
That said, it still has a ability to bring a smile to your face every time you press the accelerator. If you want a reliable family car buy something else, if you want a cheap(ish) fast car buy a 306 GTi.