The ECO4 was developed as an economical 4 litre per 100km (71 Miles per Gallon) car by the Germans - Hence the name ECO4.
WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER ASTRAS?
It features the following unique fuel saving modifications:
1) Rear spoiler to improve drag
2) Plastic cover under engine and chassis to improve drag.
3) Lower suspension to improve drag.
4) Longer fifth gear to improve fuel consumption by running at lower revs.
5) "Tea biscuit" 165 tyres to improve road friction and drag, leading to better fuel consumption.
WHY I DICIDED TO BUY THIS CAR:
1) From all European manufactured cars in 2003, this model is the car with the lowest fuel consumption of all other makes and models. According to the Government VCA fuel data records this model achieved up to 80MPG. This is however done on test bench where wind resistance is not affecting it.
2) Due to lower emissions (119g/km) the road Tax for 2007 was £35 for the year!
ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE:
1) I bought my 2003 model ECO4 for £6500 with 35 000 Miles. It was and still is stock standard and as good as the day it left the factory.
2) I have now done 40 000 miles trouble free. This car is without any doubt very reliable.
3) Build quality is good for its class and there are no rattles or squeaky noise after 5 years or 75 000 miles.
4) I achieve on average 65MPG (Driving at 70MPH) between work and home. This is a 50 mile journey and about 20 miles of this is urban driving. At the very best (Driving at a snail pace of 60MPH on the M25) I managed to achieve 70MPG.
5) For an ECO car, this car is FAST and NIPPY. Remember this is an ECO car, not a race car.
This is a minor complaint - for some reason the steering wheel and the driver's seat appears to be misaligned slightly. The steering wheel's centre appears to be aligned more towards the driver's right hand side rather than the centre. This could cause some fatigue after a couple of hours behind the steer because of an uncomfortable posture.
This is a great car and I can recommend anyone to go for economy and buy one...
On my fuel bill alone I managed to save around £100 per month by driving this gem.
Also reviewed at www.ciao.co.uk
I believe that we should be taking action about the enviroment. So I decided to look into car which had good mileage. I immediatly started with Diesils and to my suprize one of the best cars in my price range was the Vauxhall Astra Eco4. As the name suggests this is their fourth attempt at an enviromentaly friendly car. It looks like any Vauxhall Astra, but it has been specialy built with economy in mind. This gives an amazing 64 mile to the gallon, which you have to agree is excellent. However, it also results in a few drawbacks. For instance, the performance of the car is severly reduced (not that it's good in the regular Astra), but it is noticable. Also all of the parts of the car have been specialy designed to be as economical as possible. Such as the gearbox, tyres, engine, etc. This means that if anything does go wrong, which it rarely does, it can be very expensive. However if you are willing to overlook these problems on the whole you have a nice reliable car, which can save you quite a bit of money, due to the mileage. In my opinion the Astra doesn'y look too bad but some people really don't like the look of it and the Eco$, as I have said before, looks just like a regular Astra, so if you like the design it's fine. The interior is a bit plasticy but it sticks together and nothing has fallen off mine, so far, but it does look as though it could. My one has a CD player, but this is an optional extra so you don't have to pay that little bit more if you don't want to. One of the main problems I found with it is that the gearing is very differant to other cars so it takes a while to get used to but once you have it's fine. All in all it's a nice car, that can save you money, but it is a but slow and it's acceleration isn't that good.