Product Type: Galt Child Development
Newest Review: ... cotton reels that come with a thick white cord for threading the reels on. Although on the box it states that this product is suitable... more
Galt Cotton Reels - perfect for my bag of tricks!
Galt Cotton Reels
Member Name: karlsm93
Galt Cotton Reels
Advantages: Basic, colourful educational toy
When I first started teaching I worked as a substitute teacher and so I always had a 'bag of tricks' at hand that I could bring with me when I got a last minute call to cover a teacher away or off sick. One of the things that I had in my bag of tricks which my daughter now uses, was this Galt box of Cotton Reels, which currently retails at £4.99 on amazon, and to be honest, I cannot remember what I paid for them at the time.
This box contains 20 various coloured cotton reels that come with a thick white cord for threading the reels on. Although on the box it states that this product is suitable from age 3 to 5, I really think that is quite a high age suggestion and it is certainly suitable for child younger than this. My daughter is almost 15 months old and she really enjoys playing with these reels. No, she cannot thread them onto the cord yet, but she loves trying to stack them and then knock them down, putting them in and out of the box and banging them together and it is enough to keep her entertained for 10 minutes if we are in a cafe or somewhere. I put a handful of these in a sandwich bag in my handbag and pull them out as a little toy and it works a treat.
As I said at the beginning, I actually bought these reels at the time when I was a substitute teacher as I thought they would be useful for number work, colour sorting or to keep a group busy whilst I listened to reading etc. especially if you are in a room where you are unsure where a teacher keeps their resources. I found when I was in classes with younger children this was a good toy to bring out for various activities albeit it could only be used with a small group of children, but I think there are some really positive benefits of such a toy, including improving hand eye coordination, plus encouraging imaginative play.
All in all, these are a great basic toy which has sooo much potential. It has potential for number work, colour sorting, threading, stacking and rolling and can be a great help for improving hand eye coordination. I am so glad I purchased these at the time, and my daughter will get much more use out of them as she grows.
Summary: A great basic toy with potential
More reviews in the field of Child Development
- Frenzy?! Not really....or maybe it's just not yet!
- A simple storage solution
- The simplest things can amuse
- A is for...
- Would Mater be your mate?
- Lovely wooden beads from ELC
- Leapfrog Tag Junior...Toy Story 3....get ready to read
- Leapfrog Tag Junior...Jake and the neverland pirates....get ready to read
- "To Infinity & Beyond!"
- Good choice for a young child.
- Cuckoo Alex Tub Tunes Symphony Bath Toy Set
- Tangle Creations Jr Textured
- Early Learning Centre Drum
- Wesco Peppa Pig Time Teaching Twinbell Alarm
- Cypher Kids Numbers Interactive Cards
- Hasbro Nerf Elite Stryfe Blaster
- Underground Toys Peppa Pig Deluxe Balloon Ride Playset
- Spy Gear Field Agent Watch
- Melissa Doug Melissa & Doug Magnetic Responsibility Chart
- ELC Trumpet