Product Type: Science Museum Child Development
Newest Review: ... it? Well my brother does this however my dad would never buy these things for very good reasons. They are pointless. Along with a blow of ... more
Great to fight boredom; but spillages mean you'll never have clean carpet again
Science Museum Science Putty
Member Name: jeremyjiao
Science Museum Science Putty
Advantages: Lovely texture, multiple uses, helps fend off boredom
Disadvantages: Can stain very badly
I'm the kind of person who fidgets and can't sit there without, say, rolling a mechanical pencil up and down or eating. Even if I'm doing something intense, or watching something REALLY suspenseful on TV, I still have to do something with my hands. With the case with the mechanical pencil, I have lost more than a little lead from it accidentally snapping, and boredom/ binge eating can hardly be called healthy... well, you get the idea. And then, the answer came to me. The lead-less 100% non calorific solution. Science putty.
This was given to my little sister on her last birthday, and dismissing it as a tacky present, gave it to me. Not that I wasn't flattered or anything, but at first I felt apprehensive towards this little tub of goo- I wasn't that into science, and could not see any point in having something that you couldn't really USE for anything. How very wrong I was... Instead of reviewing several aspects of this product as I normally would do, I shall instead review the pros and cons in order to better justify this product.
- Helps you to fight boredom. It is strangely satisfying to squeeze this product in your hands, and if you fidget as much as I do, you will know how useful it is. It has a soft, malleable yet elastic texture; like a mixture between rubber and Blu Tack, but without its stickiness. It is also not harmful or toxic to hold (though I would not recommend eating it at all, the 8+ guide line is there for a reason).
- Easy to peel off hard objects, and does not stick to your hands, unlike materials such as plasticine.
- You can even use this to remove dust and the excess glue from labels, like I have often done with Blu Tack. Just stick the science putty on the area and then pull it off. This is not 100% effective, and you do end up with some slightly dusty putty, but it is still a useful thing to know.
- It has a handy tin that you can easily fit the putty inside, to prevent spillages or to stop it simply from getting lost.
- This putty has a slightly (and may I stress that it is only a slight slight issue) greasy feel, but its overall feel is far better than plasticine.
- This is the VERY main thing that would prevent me from recommending this product- if you spill it on the carpet or on another soft, fluffy surface, then you aren't going to be able to get that off. I accidentally drop some on to the carpet, and since this science putty was in the black shade, you can imagine how obvious it would be against a cream or light carpet. Intensive scrubbing and multiple stain removers hardly helped the cause; it was as if the putty was clinging on to the carpet for dear life and was refusing to let go. I can not stress this enough, IF YOU SPILL THIS THEN IT IS A LOST CAUSE FOREVER.
In conclusion, a lovely putty which you can use to fend off boredom; however, do not be dropping this on the floor. Because of the balance of the pros against the cons, I would give it 4 stars, but only just. I would only recommend this to those who are very careful.
Summary: A good product, but only for those who are careful
More reviews in the field of Child Development
- Alphabet Spaghetti Fridge!
- Protects the Leapster from bumps and falls!
- Fantastic tablet for children.
- A Good Idea - or Knot?
- Let's Play Tag!
- Leapfrog Tag Junior...Toy Story 3....get ready to read
- Leapfrog Tag Junior...Jake and the neverland pirates....get ready to read
- Good choice for a young child.
- Leapfrog Tag Junior......Great way to get your little one to talk
- Leapfrog Tag Junior....Seasame Stree Monster Faces
- Inspiration Works National Geographic Space Tablet
- Grafix Magnetic Calendar & Planner
- DK Games Silly Sentences
- Backyard Safari 3-in-1 Field Compass
- Ravensburger Octonauts Mini Memory
- Learning Resources Jumbo Jungle Animals
- Vtech InnoTab Learning Game Cartridge
- Discover with Dr. Cool Ultimate Fossil Kit
- Toys of Wood Oxford Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
- Inspiration Works Fireman Sam Jupiter Alphabet Rescue