Product Type: Lascal safety products
Newest Review: ... Installation was not too difficult and everything was in the pack. I had to reinforce plugs twice on the side where the plastic holders ar... more
Lascal Kiddyguard Safety Barrier
Member Name: JohnCleese
Lascal Kiddyguard Safety Barrier
Advantages: very safe, good for odd landings/stairs, 'invisible' when not used
Disadvantages: fiddly to operate, noisy
We bought Lascal Kiddyguard when we moved to the new house, two years ago. Our son was over 2 years old and it was not really very necessary item on our shopping list but we wanted to have the gate just in case. It proved right as now we have another son and he is much more adventurous and having a stair gate for one year old is a must. Our landing and skirting is a bit odd so classic gate would not fit so we decided to splash out on this one.
We paid over £70 couple of years ago but I see that you can find it on kiddicare for £60 now. Installation was not too difficult and everything was in the pack. I had to reinforce plugs twice on the side where the plastic holders are. (Probably more to do with my DIY skills.) You can cover up to 51"/130 cm.
It is basically like strengthened horizontal roller blind. The good thing is that 'footprint' is very small so not much obstruction when not in use. The most important thing - there is no bar on the floor on which you can trip on.
Barrier looks a bit flexible but it is really very strong and reliable. The whole mechanism was done very cleverly but I would say that it is a bit overdone. There are two problems:
1. It is not very easy to open, even for adults which did it many times. You have to press, move and release button on the main roller. That will release tension on the blind. You start rolling blind but if you stop at any point before you reach holders on the other side it will block the mechanism and you have to press, move and release again... You have to keep the tension on the blind all the time. Not to mention that there is a special way to 'press, move and release' so you cannot do it in the first attempt. Not easy especially if you are on your own with the child...
2. When you open the gate the blind will roll back automatically as it is under the tension. That's fine. But the whole process of rolling back is followed with the very loud sound of roller. That's done on purpose so you can hear if someone else (kid) opens the gate. Not the best option if you don't want to wake up everyone during the night.
I know it is not easy to make it very safe and easy to use but I would prefer slightly easier mechanism and no screaming sound. Overall a good product which I would recommend if you are for 100% safety but don't complain that I didn't warn you about downsides.
...and now for something completely different...
Summary: Cleverly designed innovative product - just a bit overdone for my liking
More reviews in the field of Child Safety
- Dreambaby Deluxe Bath Toy Bag
- Dreambaby Deluxe Bottle & Nipple Brush Set
- Dreambaby Door Catch
- Dreambaby Door Knob Covers
- Dreambaby Deluxe Adjustable Baby View Mirror
- Hauck Safety Gate Extension 7 cm
- Hauck Squeeze Handle Safety Gate
- Hauck Trigger Lock Safety Gate
- Emmay Care Grooming Kit
- Emmay Care Health & Hygiene Kit