Product Type: Boots Chocolate
Newest Review: ... Sadly I have not seen these on the web site, but I can get them from my local Boots, but not all branches stock them. ~~ Overall~~ ... more
Great chocolate with unpleasant after effects!
Boots Diabetic Chocolates
Member Name: SusanLesley
Boots Diabetic Chocolates
Date: 16/01/08, updated on 27/01/08 (419 review reads)
Advantages: Tastes nice, good price, looks and smells good.
Disadvantages: Nasty tummy problems
As some of you may know I have type two diabetes and I am struggling to control my blood sugar - mainly due to stress but that's another story - but partly because I do have an occasional treat.
Anyway knowing that there would be temptation everywhere at Christmas my husband bought me some diabetic chocolate as a stocking filler so I could have a treat without feeling too guilty about it.
The chocolate in question is Boots Diabetic Swiss Milk Chocolate with Fruit and Nuts and the same but with Hazelnuts. They also do Diabetic Milk Chocolate with no additions and a dark chocolate variation. There may be more but I haven't seen them yet.
The bars of chocolate are 100g in weight which makes them each the equivalent of about a couple of standard chocolate bars so not a huge amount then. Each bar costs about £1.50.
Each bar is contained in an outer wrapper which is brown and shows an accurate picture of pieces of the chocolate at the top. Below are the Boots logo and the words 'Diabetic No Added Sugar Swiss Milk Chocolate with Fruit and Nuts (or Hazelnuts) delicious chunks of smooth milk chocolate with raisins and hazelnuts (or just hazelnuts)'
So they both look classy and promise an enjoyable treat.
When the outer wrapper is removed the chocolate is sealed in a white shiny paper to avoid any tampering.
Then off comes the white wrapper and there's the chocolate in all its glory. It looks good, a nice mid brown in colour and you can see plenty of nuts or fruit and nuts depending on which bar you are looking at.
The smell is a nice rich, but not overpowering, chocolately fragrance.
So now it's time to try the taste test. Now my favourite chocolate is Cadburys Dairy Milk and this isn't in that league by a long way. However this chocolate is smooth and tasty with just the right amount of fruit and / or nuts and it isn't too sweet.
These bars are both suitable for vegetarians but do contain over 500 calories in the bar. So just because they are suitable for diabetics doesn't mean that they are low in calories.
The bottom line is that whilst it isn't anywhere near as nice as Cadburys it is pleasant enough but I don't think I will ever buy it again. The reason for this is the effect that this chocolate had on me.
Now I intend to pass on a word of warning. The bars of chocolate are not very big so it would be very easy to sit and eat a whole bar at one sitting - DON'T!!!!!
When I ate the first bar I began by eating about 15% of it the first night with no problems and finished it the second night. At about 4am the following morning I woke up with very loud strange rumblings in my tummy. I got up and adjourned to the bathroom where I continued to make more and more extremely loud noises and suffered from a bout of diarrhoea although I wasn't actually in pain.
The next morning I took a look at the back of the packet from the chocolate bar. There it said that we should eat no more than 20g of polyols in 24 hours and the bar itself contained a total of 35g of polyols.
In the nutrition box on the back of the wrapper a 'serving' is shown as 50g which is half the bar. So if I just eat half a bar at a time I will be OK. Yes? No!
So when I came to eat the second of the bars I ate half the first night with no effect and half the second night. At 1.30am in the morning following the eating of the second half I woke in real pain. My abdomen was in spasm. I went to the loo and again suffered from diarrhoea although it wasn't as bad but the pains were terrible for a short while. My stomach was still rumbling unnaturally for most of the following day.
Maybe you are supposed to eat half the bar, wait a few days for it to get out of your system and then eat the rest!
I do apologise for the graphic description of the reactions caused by this product but as this is a review I thought I should tell you all the gory details.
I wrote and complained to Boots about the ferocity of the side effects and I got a £15 voucher!
Summary: Chocolate with a nasty kick!