Product Type: Cadbury Chocolate
Newest Review: ... good quality, and throughout the centre is a sweet fondant. It's like the middle of a Cadbury's creme egg but less of it and in a thick... more
Scuba takes a creamy break.
Fry's Chocolate Cream
Member Name: scuba_angel
Fry's Chocolate Cream
Advantages: Not too sweet.
Disadvantages: Not particularly flavourful
While sitting on the sofa this afternoon I had a craving for something sweet to go alongside my cup of tea, so peeling myself off the cushions and in to my kitchen I opened up my 'treat tub' and found sat on top of the packets of mints and chewy choccy bars a lone bar of Frys Chocolate Cream. I have no really recollection of buying this one as it's not a chocolate bar I would routinely choose to buy but here it is so I really ought to give it a try. This is the plain fondant version, there are also peppermint and orange versions avaliable.
Opening the wrapper the shiney surface of the dark chocolate peeks out appealingly, at this point there is little scent (though I have hayfever so my sense of smell is slightly impaired at this time of year). Breaking off a chunk the white cream fondant centre is revealed, again there is no real notable scent until you put it up close to the nose.
Putting this chunk in to my mouth there is a decidely sweet sensation but little taste, after it has had a little while to warm up in my mouth the flavour of the dark chocolate comes through but not strongly, getting slightly bored and feeling a little bit silly sitting on the sofa with a chunk of chocolate on my tongue - this kind of thing is why it's best I live alone- I decide it's time to chew.
The slightly feelin of resistance as you bite through the chocolate layer gives way to the smooth cream of the centre. The flavour at this point is strangely fresh though I couldn't quite put a name to the taste which is combining with the dark chocolate.
Swallowing there is no aftertaste but the fresh feeling continues in my mouth. In an attempt to put a name to this I take a mouthful of tea thinking my vast experience of eating confectionary products while drinking tea will help me but nope there is still no recognisable flavour other than the tea itself.
Eating the rest of the bar I think it's probably best to describe the flavour of this as simply dark chocolate, the fondant doesnt seem to have any apparently flavouring beyond the sugar used to make it.
Overall I while I didn't dislike the bar I do feel that the flavour is at best bland, but it does seem to make a good palate cleanser thanks to the freshness I felt after eating and lack of flavour interfering wth the taste of my tea at the same time.
In terms of the allergen information there are no nuts and though the bar itself does not contain milk it does note that due to the possibility of cross contamination they cannot claim that the product is dairy free. It is suitable for vegetarians.
A typical bar will cost around 75p. A bar is made up of 7 chunks, 205 calories and weighs approx 49g.
Though the product is called Frys it is actually manufactured by Cadbury and apparently was one of the first ever chocolate bars.
Summary: Rather bland and boring but takes the edge off the sweet craving.
More reviews in the field of Chocolate
- ~ * Mini Easter Must-Haves * ~
- Cadbury's creme eggs - Grab em' before they're gooooone!
- Mars malteaster bunnies - Happy malteaster!
- Marymoose is mixed about 50201600s!
- The Pinnacle of Chocolate Snacks
- I Love Aero Bubbles For My Chocoholic Self!!!!
- Terrible for the health, sickly,etc, but better than Twix, ex lover of mars revi ...
- A little bit of Lindor luxury once in a while...
- Valrhona Chocolate Caramel Couverture 36%
- Valrhona Bar Of White Cooking Chocolate 35% Cocoa
- Valrhona Bar Of Milk Cooking Chocolate 39% Cocoa
- Valrhona Bar Of Dark Cooking Chocolate 68% Cocoa
- Chocolate Trading Co Chocolate Trading Co White Chocolate Cigarellos
- Chocolate Trading Co Strawberry Chocolate Curls
- Chocolate Trading Co Best Of The Best Dark Chocolate Bar Offer
- Chocolate Trading Co Superior Selection French Truffles Box