Product Type: Ferrero Chocolate
Newest Review: ... Preventing accidental toy consumption. ( according to science, this is bad). The toy comes with instructions. Stickers if applicable and a... more
The surprise is there is nothing to get excited about
Member Name: i_am_joy
Disadvantages: They are expensive and do not have a lot of chocolate, toys are at best rubbish and at worst lethal
For Easter I brought my grandaughters and friends children a selection of different small eggs to go with their large Easter egg and one of them was a Kinder Surprise egg.
A Kinder Surprise is a shell of chocolate with a small capsule inside that contains a small toy that the child usually has to make themselves. The egg is wrapped in foil and presented to be as attractive to young children as possible.
The chocolate used to make the egg is very poor quality and it is very thin so you do not get very much chocolate at all when you eat a Kinder Surprise. The outside of the shell is milk chocolate and the inside is white chocolate. I think the chocolate does not taste very nice and it tastes to me of the cheaper chocolate you can buy like Kinnerton and I think this is not good considering weight for weight a Kinder Surprise costs more than the delicious high quality Lindt. It is not smooth in my mouth at all and even though it melts in my mouth it is not a good kind of melting, it sort of melts to a thin liquid that does not have the rich consistency of better quality chocolate.
I also don't think that cheap milk chocolate and white chocolate go very well together. I can taste that the white chocolate is fairly creamy but there is not very much of it so the stronger taste of the milk chocolate hides the creaminess. Kinder Surprise chocolate always has a little bit of a bitter aftertaste as well and it is not sweet like most Easter egg chocolate.
When you have eaten the chocolate which will take about 60 seconds if my grandaughters are anything to go by, you are left with a rubbish toy that never works like it should. The toys come in kit form and have not very helpful instructions and such tiny fiddly bits that I think they should supply a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers with the egg. Sometimes you will get a ready made figurine inside a Kinder Surprise but while they are usually very cute they are so small that it will get lost within days. As it is the toy will usually get thrown away on the same day as the Kinder Surprise was eaten because most children think the toys are not worth bothering with.
There has been talk in the past of the possible choking hazard Kinder Surprise toys pose and I really believe they are very dangerous. Smaller parts of the toy can easily be swallowed and I would never have trusted my own children or grandaughters with them unless I supervised them all the time. Kinder actually say that their toys are not suitable for under 3s but I would go further than this because a child of 6 or 7 may still put the pieces in their mouth and choke on them. This is not good.
Kinder Eggs are not worth the money, they cost nearly 50p for a few small mouthfuls of chocolate and I could buy my grandaughters a nice bar of Galaxy for that. You can buy them in boxes of 3 as well and it works out cheaper to do it like this but I still think they are definately not value for money.
Summary: If you buy these you are wasting your money