“ address: 2 Bootle Street / Manchester / M2 5GU / England „
Just off Deansgate, hidden down one of the back alleys, is a club that is frequented for two simple reasons: Cheap beer and good music. If you have a distaste for students then it is to be avoided, this also goes for sticky floors, splashback in the male toilets from an ill-conceived urinal, and more students. If you want to get drunk and still come home with change from a tenner, and like to be immersed in seas of over-excited dancers upon the spinning of indie anthems, then it's definitely worth a visit. You can usually pick up bottles of Carlsberg for a quid if you are wanting to keep things on the cheap side.
It usually starts to pick up around 10pm, and the queues can get mega long at the weekend, so be prepared if you want to arrive at a fashionable time.
There are entrance fees unfortunately, not every day but at the weekend. They vary, but are usually a fiver.
Outside the club there are a couple of takeaways for midnight gorging on chips, kebabs, pizzas etc, and taxis regularly come and go from virtually right outside the front door, which is pretty convenient.
An indie student favourite, 42's is the place to find 90's Manchester anthems, sticky floors and the occasional Hollyoaks celeb. Various nights offer slightly different entry fees, never going above about £6, for the allnighters which run on bank holidays till 6am. Slightly hidden from the other main student clubs, this club lurks round the side of Deansgate, and a taxi is a wise idea to avoid getting completley lost on the way.
A well priced bar, pop tunes and low entry fees draw a young audience, and the venue doesn't go out of it's way in terms of classiness - bench seating, simple lighting and a vending machine probably making a small fortune through monster munch, complete the look of a cheap but fun night out. Somewhere that seems alot more awesome once one is under the influence, 42's are a Manchester purveyor of cheap, student, indie fun for the masses in the cities three universities.
42nd Street is situated on Bootle Street which is just off Deansgate, near the AMC cinema. It has a large banner with the logo on outside, which you should be able to see if walking down Deansgate.
The club is open 4 nights a week, sometimes more depending on events.
Tuesday - The Best Indie Night Ever... 10pm-2:30am
Thursday - From Manchester with Love...10pm - 3am
Friday - Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll...10pm - 3am
Saturday - Urban Legends...10pm-3am
Every so often the club will hold an all-nighter (usually on a Saturday) which will last until 6am.
Admission is Free before 10:30 with student ID or a flyer and £4 afterwards.
Depending on the night the entrance fee is £4-6 for everyone else
They also sometimes have offers on after major gigs in the city, i.e. reduced or no entrance fee for anyone who has the ticket stump to a selected event.
Like most clubs, dress code applies but it doesn't stretch far from no flip-flops and no football shirts
42nd Street is a premier student venue and as such it's got quite a young crowd, it's one of the most popular clubs for college students in Manchester. Although most people would categorize it as an 'indie' club, 42's play lots of different types of music depending on the days you go - on a Friday heavier stuff like Rage Against the Machine is played and Thursdays will play anything from Manchester! The door staff are usually alright and the bar staff are lovely and you can usually find them singing along (as well as serving you!) In the past security hasn't been too tight but they're in the process of improving it, starting with IDing most people, which they've never done before.
I would say the crowds are 90% made up of students, with the other 10% being friends of students and it's a very odd sight to see anyone over 30 there. The music is loud and the dance floor is always packed by 12 - it's not the largest of venues. There are 2 seating areas, but again these are pretty small and unless you get there early you won't get a table. It's defiantly not the right club to choose if you want a chat. Although the music is primarily indie, a wide variety of people go to 42nd Street, especially at the weekends when different sorts are played. You can always request songs at the DJ hatch.
It's main drawback is the size of the queue, I've waited in it for up to an hour before! And the all-night queue is always immense. However you can buy queue jump wristbands from the cloakroom which cost £1, and with red bull and vodka at £1.50 who can complain? There are always plenty of bar staff on but there can sometimes be a mob around the bars. My suggestion is buy 2 drinks at a time, it won't look odd - everybody does it!