Newest Review: ... in life. He is always being trodden on and treated like dirt. And then he finds The Mask. Buying it as a present for his girlfriend after... more
Somebody stop him.......puleassse!
The Mask - John Arcudi
Member Name: sparkymarky1973
The Mask - John Arcudi
Advantages: One of the best and funniest comic series ever created!
Disadvantages: A bit violent for some younger readers.....
If your only experience of The Mask is the Jim Carey film, then reading this for the first time is going to be a real treat for you! Forget everything you thought you knew about this story previously and prepare to be shocked, thrilled and appalled!! Though basic elements of the movies plot are still present, this original comic book that started it all is grittier, dirtier and much, much more violent and far, far less slapstick.....
Stanley Ipkiss is always being put down in life. He is always being trodden on and treated like dirt. And then he finds The Mask.
Buying it as a present for his girlfriend after seeing it in an Antiques store, he is compelled to put it on and try it out. At night, he thinks it speaks to him....but this is no ordinary mask!
Putting it on results in a startling transformation; suddenly Stanley is witty, charming and full of va-va-boom....but he is also a homicidal maniac obsessed with getting revenge on all those he believes has put him down and treated him wrong! Before long, the "Big-Head" killer is terrorising the city and Stanley begins to find life as The Mask emotionally draining as he struggles to keep his relationship with his girlfriend on track and satisfy The Masks thirst for violence. Lt. Kellerway,assigned to the killings, begins drawing close but will even he believe the truth?
This is a great comic book that sets later stories in motion and brilliantly introduces us to the whole concept of The Mask; essentially that anyone who wears it, despite their good intentions, ends up being ultimately corrupted by its power! This is a comic book that has everything ~ big guns, lots of uber-violence, plenty of humour and a dark and heavy tone that lingers over every page just waiting to erupt!
I really loved this series the first time I read it and still love it now! Imagine Sin City with a sense of humour and you come close to the brilliance of this story-line! The art is amazing, the story undescribable and there is absolutely nothing about this I don't like..... apart from the ending!
Because this book leaves you on a cliff-hanger that will quite literally leave you begging for more!
Summary: Not to be confused with the film......
More reviews in the field of Comic Book
- Marvel through the ages.....
- A collectors item for all boxing fans
- Symbiote stalks Spidey all over again...can you say de ja vu?
- Don't do drugs.....
- Don't want your kids to have imagination? Boy have I got the book for you!
- The Mortal Realms of Earth
- Psychology 101, the woman's alternative
- A Real Marvel?
- Chariots of the Gods
- End of the Knightmare
- I Luv Halloween: Vol.3 - Ben Roman
- Only The Ring Finger Knows Vol. 2: Left Hand Dreams of Him - Satoru Kannagi
- Only The Ring Finger Knows Vol. 3: Ring Finger Falls Silent - Satoru Kannagi
- Only The Ring Finger Knows Vol. 4: The Ring Will Confess His Love - Satoru Kanna ...
- Train*Train Vol. 1 - Eiki Eiki
- Attack On Titan 4 - Hajime Isayama
- Blue is the Warmest Color - Julie Maroh
- Marvel Avengers The Ultimate Character Guide - DK
- Attack On Titan 3 - Hajime Isayama
- Attack On Titan 2 - Hajime Isayama