23.11.2014 16:21

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Health benefits within a treat"
      • "Cats enjoy them"

Disadvantages

• "Smaller portions!"

Nice healthy treats ... but only 10 at a time??!

Whiskas treats are generally on offer from time to time at various supermarkets for £1 a tub, so I will stock up on various types. One of my cats has “hairballs” occasionally, and it seems really unpleasant for her (not overly enjoyable for me either!). So when I spotted these among the treats, I thought why not give them a go – she could have her treat and maybe get some benefit at the same time.

They look identical to other Whiskas cat treats, which are little square cushion shaped brown biscuits. Supposedly these ones have a soft centre, presumably where the anti-hairball element comes in. This isn’t evident when the cats eat them, and they don’t seem to love or dislike them any more or less than any other treats that they get.

The packet doesn’t give the science behind why or how the treats do their work on the hairball situation, but with Whiskas, I somehow just trust them and there is a tendency to believe the claim anyway without any scientific write-up. Unfortunately I can’t really report whether these work or not as an anti-hairball treatment, as I didn’t feed these exclusively as a treat over any great length of time. My cat still had hairballs occasionally but there is no indication on the packaging of how dramatic the effect should be, or over what period of time you would need to feed these to see that effect. That information would be helpful.

The downside of these for my cats is that the packaging only recommends up to 10 pieces per day, whereas their favourite Felix Goodybags suggest much larger portions! As with all dried food, it’s essential to ensure drinking water is available at all times. I like buying these from time to time, as I feel the cats get health benefits when enjoying a treat, but I guess for the true benefits to be seen, a more sustained programme is required.

• Johnson's Baby Shampoo / Hair Care / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      23.11.2014 16:11

Advantages

• "ok for sensitive skin"
      • "can also be used for cleaning the bathroom!"
      • "easy to wash out"
      • "nice smell"

Disadvantages

• "Have to make sure you've rinsed out properly"
      • "sometimes requires more conditioner to keep your hair in good shape"

Not just for babies

I actually use this baby shampoo myself - I tend to have a lot of bad skin reactions to different beauty/hair care products, so I've found that the simpler and more basic my products, the better my skin and hair is. My previous type of shampoo was no longer in production, so I reverted to one I knew worked instead spending a lot of time and energy working out what other brands might work for me.

This is a lovely basic shampoo. It keeps your hair clean and fresh, has a nice gentle smell, and is very easy to rinse out. It also feels quite nice in your hair.

While it is very easy to rinse out, if you happen to miss a bit it can cause some dandruff afterwards. If you just make sure that you've rinsed through all of your hair, you shouldn't have this problem as, like I said, it washes out easy. You also have to occasionally use a little more conditioner than you otherwise would in order to keep your hair in the best condition you can. I have very long (waist-length) and thick hair, and occasionally it can become quite dry using this shampoo, so I have to use more conditioner to sort it out.

The other thing that not many people know about Johnson's baby shampoo is that it can be very handy for cleaning the bathroom! Before I get in the bathtub, I use it (applying with something like loo roll or kitchen roll) along the sides and bottom of the bath to get rid of the dirt. It also helps stop future build-up of dirt, because it acts as a sort of barrier between the dirt and the side of the bath. All you have to do is rinse it off, and then you're ready to draw a bath!

23.11.2014 15:58

Advantages

• "It does not leave my hair like greasy"
      • "It defines curls"
      • "It works very good"

Disadvantages

• "It leaves a residue the next day"

American Crew curl constructor

WHAT IS IT?

This is cream that you use to make natural curls defined and it removes frizz also. It is a product that is for men but I bought it original for one of my male clients and it made his hair very greasy so I decided to use it for myself.

WHY DID I USE A PRODUCT FOR MEN?

I am Italian and I have got curly hair that does not curl very good by itself and after a very short time it is so heavy that it pulls out curls and makes my hair wavy only and a little bit frizzy. I like to try different curl produce because it is hard work to make my hair curly and stay curly and I did not care that this was a product for men because it works better than the other products I have used that are for my female hair.

WHAT I THINK

This cream is very easy to work with and it dries onto the hair very fast, it does not make my hair greasy or a mess and when I have styled my hair you cannot tell that there is any product in it. The curls it creates are only what I can obtain naturally but the good thing is that the cream does define them and it makes the seperate curls stay bouncy instead of going into waves.

When I used it on my male client it was very easy to define his curls because his hair is alot shorter than mine and it is a pity it made his hair greasy because it worked very good.

It does not affect my hair with grease but when I use this I have to make sure I wash my hair the next day because it leaves a residue that makes my hair feel dirty and look dull. It does not make my curls look dull when I use it but it does not add shine to my hair also.

ANYTHING ELSE

A tube that has got 125ml in it costs about £9 and that is expensive because I have to use quite alot on my long hair, it works good enough so I will buy it again but at the same time as I am using it I think I will look for other curl defining cream that is cheaper. For a man with short hair it would last alot longer.

4 Dooyoo Hearts

• Darphin Purifying Balm / Darphin / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:48

Advantages

• "scent is havenly"

Disadvantages

• none

Darphin balm,for declining redness

I recall the wors "You really desire me to put oil and beeswax on your skin to clear up your acne? " when the sales girl showed me this item. After a month later, I thought I had nothing to lose so I thought I had try it out.

The scent, like all Darphin products, is heavenly. It is heavy on essential oils, therefore it has a delightful aromatic aroma. It comes with a tiny Darphin spoon, therefore i spoon a tiny bit (1/4 pea sized) warm between my finger tips, then massage into my newly cleansed/exfoliated and skin. It feels greasy and heavy, but it's a super-ingredient powerhouse!

By the morning, my skin is glowing, the redness declined, the blemishes I might have woken up with are not there, and the blemishes that WERE there have been reduced!

You REALLY need to listen to your skin. The essential oils in here are quite powerful and you could dry out your skin if you use it every night... I don't use it more than 3 nights.

Apply your eye cream first, you don't need the remainder of this purifying balm on your fingers as you employ your eye treatment.

It is worth every penny,this jar lasts for-almost-ever. It sticks when you've got to fork out almost GBP60 for this tiny jar, but when you understand you will own it for about 2 years, it makes it a little easier to swallow.OK,it is suitable for who have some kinds of dry skin.

• ParaNorman (DVD) / DVD / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      23.11.2014 15:47

Advantages

• "realistic characters"
      • quirky
      • gothic

Disadvantages

• "may be too scary for some sensitive kids"

Believable, gothic, and quirky

Paranorman is a great stop-motion animation film that (as with a lot of stop-motion) may appeal even more to adults than it does to kids.

The premise here is that there's a boy - Norman - who everybody thinks is a few crayons short of the box, because he claims to see ghosts. Fact is that he does see ghosts, every day, but no one believes him. The town however has a little bit of a ghost problem - which most of the townsfolk don't know about until the zombies show up. Then, it becomes the duty of Norman, his oddball friend, his older sister who thinks he's crazy, his bully, and the star American football player of the local high school, to somehow set things straight.

I love the character design here - somehow the designers have managed to create figures that manage to be realistic caricatures. The bully has tunnels in his ears, Norman's mother has realistically-wide hips. Many characters have ears that stick out just enough to remind you of someone you once knew. They're individual, vivid, and believable - and it really does make you admire the craftsmen and women who work so hard on the little details of stop-motion.

It's quirky and gothic in tone, with an excellent sense of humour - such as a twisted spin on the usual high-school couple in B-movie horror films in the form of Norman's sister and the reluctant, bewildered, American football player.

It may be a little too scary for some more sensitive kids - particularly the flash-backs to Puritan times, and the trial of the little girl as a witch - but, to be honest, this sort of film usually bothers parents more than it does kids.

This is well worth a watch, if only to admire the exquisite work that's gone into it.

23.11.2014 15:46

Advantages

• "Do a job"
      • "Handy pack size"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Leave face dry"
      • "Strong fragrance (for me)"

Handy wipes but nothing special

I always take hand wipes with me on holiday, as I can’t bear grubby hands before eating or drinking, and for some reason, hands always seem to get (or at least feel) grubby when out and about on holiday.

Last time at the airport I bought a travel pack of Wet ones which contained 10 wipes and cost almost £2, which no doubt contained an airport premium.

The pack is perforated at the front, which tears away to open the pack, but also covered in sticky plastic to reseal the pack. This is essential to maintain the wetness of the wipes inside. Fortunately it has a generous area of sticky, and remained a secure method of resealing the pack for the time I had the wipes.

The wipes are folded tightly inside the pack and it is quite tricky to get a grip on one initially. They open out to around 20cm square, which isn’t overly generous, but enough for a wipe of the hands. The texture of the wipes is slightly hard and papery to my mind, not soft like baby wipes. This means that I find they do dry out quickly, one wouldn’t be enough for two people to wipe their hands properly.

The fragrance of the wipes is quite strongly perfumed, and to my mind a bit feminine which is a shame as I don’t really want fragrance from a hand wipe although I appreciate they are intended as a general “freshen up” wipe, so for some this scent would be a positive thing.

They don't leave my hands feeling sticky but when I've used to wipe my mouth/face, they do leave my skin feeling very dry.

All in all, these were an essential buy for me, but they are nothing better or more effective than other wipes I've picked up from bargain shops so I wouldn't rush to recommend.

• Henlow Grange / Spa / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:38

Advantages

• "amazing as high class"

Disadvantages

• none

Henlow Grange REVIEW

It was my first visit to Henlow although many times have stayed at Champneys Tring. Food on the whole was very good. Staff in the restaurant were quite nice and helpful but a few of the youthful ones only stood around not detecting that bread had not been offered, that who are at another table had had starter but I had not yet had starter (nor any bread!) - A look at my cutlery might have alarmed them. They desire training. In addition, the coffee served in the dining room is nearly constantly stewed and poor quality. I have remarked on this at Tring (which tastes the same) but it really never seems to enhance. But the coffee in the two cafes is fine - What is the difference??

The conservatory is its greatest feature. The gardens are lovely and so well kept. I know they have been undergoing a renovation programme at Henlow (saw the owner there during my stay) and it is definitely needed by plenty of places. The standard rooms (where I stayed) really need modernising. They are like a poor copy. The carpet in room 58 was worn, drapes seemed some days. No towel rail at all despite notice saying hang up towels if you don't need them changed to save the environment in toilet! There are barely any resorts nowadays which have a nylon shower curtain - when you turn in the shower, these simply stick to you personally.

Treatments were as amazing as the classes.

Front of house on the whole Henlow is a very relaxing place to stay and all the staff I met during my stay were very helpful.

I am going to give it another try next year when hopefully the renovations will have been completed. But before I book I am going to ask if the Standard rooms have been improved.

23.11.2014 15:37

Advantages

• "It is very cheap"
      • "It does not smell bad"
      • "It holds small styles"

Disadvantages

• "The can is very ugly"
      • "It makes my hair wet"
      • "It is not extra firm"

Wilko hair spray in extra firm hold

WHAT IS IT?

This is hair spray that is made by Wilko. You can buy it in their store or online only and it has got extra firm hold.

THE PACKAGING

This hair spray comes in a tin that has changed recent and now it is very ugly and I do not like to see it on my shelf because it has got a white can and a light green lid that makes it look like fly spray. I do not like it and even though it is very cheap I think they should have made it look more attractive.

WHAT I THINK

I think this is very good hair spray and it is worth the money because it is effective like hair spray I have used that costs alot more. I do not use it when I am out because I would not like to carry the ugly can with me.

The hold is not what I would think as extra firm but if you use hair spray that is made by a hair company this would be firm only because it does not hold all styles. It is easy to use but it makes the hair a little bit wet and even though it dries fast I do not like that.

I use it for when I decide that I would like to wear braids or a side fringe because it is good at holding little hairs in the place where I put them, it is not effective enough to hold a big style and for that I would use a hair spray that is made by a company who knows about hair. This one saves me a lot of money when I have only a few hairs to smooth down and do not need very strong hair spray.

It does not smell very bad but it is a lot stronger in smell than the last hair spray I used that was made by Wella and it makes my daughter cough sometimes when I spray this.

ANYTHING ELSE

A can of this hair spray costs only £1 for 450ml of hair spray and I think that is value and it is a pity they have made the product look so ugly.

4 Dooyoo Hearts.

• Lush Ambrosia Shaving Cream / Shaving & Grooming / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:32

Advantages

Disadvantages

AMAZING

I have the most insanely sensitive underarms so shaving is always a big panic. I usually have to choose between hiding in long sleeves in summer or exposing angry, red, half shaved armpits... I went into my local Lush store and checked out their range of shaving products and tried some samples and this one was a definite winner! You don't need to wet the arms first (it works better if you don't I've found), just apply it straight on which is great and time saving. Then a quick rinse to get any hairs that a stuck on and away you go. You can even just use a wet wipe or towel it off, brilliant if you're camping or at a festival and need a little trim but find yourself without a shower! It leaves skin amazingly moisturised and I haven't seen redness, rashes or rawness since I've used it! I then bought my boyfriend some as he often experiences angry red shaving rash (guess he's a sensitive guy!) and he loves it too. It smells lovely on and leaves his face wonderfully soft because of the moisturising element. It's like shaving and moisturising all in one! It may be raining at lot this summer, but that won't stop me going sleeveless! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Lush Dirty Shaving Cream / Shaving & Grooming / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

best ever

This stuff is exceptional. Bought it at Carlisle, Cumbria on the recommendation of the lady who worked there. She said her husband was a ginger with sensitive skin and he loved it. It had improved his skin. I use a traditional double edged razor and exfoliated my skin first. I did a with the grain shave followed by an against the grain shave. This is quality gear. Very close, skin feels nourished and loved. Sadly I have no sense of smell so can't comment on that. Take it from a very experienced shaver who has tried them all. This is well worth a try. It will be a regular on my shaves. Thank you very much.
      Although this shaving cream is for men, I love using it too - particularly on my legs. Typically, I shave in the shower or bath, but sometimes if I'm in a rush I'll just dry shave - as you might expect this almost never ends well. However, I find that this product requires almost no water at all. It's so moisturising and smells great! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

23.11.2014 15:26

Advantages

• "It is easy to put into the hair"

Disadvantages

• "It is very runny "
      • "It does not make my hair soft"
      • "It does not make my hair conditioned"

Avon advance techniques colour protect conditioner

WHAT IS IT?

This is hair conditioner that says it will protect your hair colour if you dye your hair. It is from Avon and my bottle was given to me for free by my sister who sells Avon produce.

WHAT I THINK

I do not like this conditioner at all and I will not use it for long enough to know if it is protecting my colour, I have looked at the ingredients of the conditioner and I do not think there is any ingredient in it to help with making your hair stop fading and I would not rely on this to keep my hair looking like it is bright and natural in the colour.

It does not make my hair soft and I think it is a little bit dry when I have used this conditioner and my hair sticks together alot so that it is hard to brush. The reason I do not think it helps to condition my hair is because when I style it I can feel the hair is not soft and it is very easy to stay in the style, I complain when some conditioners make my hair so soft that I cannot style it but at least that means they are doing a good job and my hair does not feel like it has had conditioner on when I use this.

It is quite runny so it is easy to apply but it does not feel like luxury and even though it is thin the conditioner is quite hard to rinse out of my hair.

ANYTHING ELSE

This conditioner is on special price promotion alot and now it costs only £1.60 for a bottle. I would not buy it because it is not very good for my hair and makes it look and feel worse than before I used it.

1 Dooyoo Heart.

23.11.2014 15:23

Advantages

• bar

Disadvantages

Very good

Lush's Cream Candy is a product I've heard a lot about on the various Lush blogs I follow. This is actually my very first Bubble Bar. Lush describes Creamy Bandy as "sweet, frothy, and fluffy bubbles that smell like delicate vanilla candies and cotton candy. In fact, you'll feel like you were bathing in your favorite sweet shop. Our sweetest bubble selection, Creamy Candy is for those who love their bubbles bright pink and delightfully sugary. Its a combination of a luxury bath melt and bubble bar, loaded with generous chunks of cocoa butter to melt and softly moisturize your entire body while you bath." The Creamy Candy Bubble Bar was sent to me as a gift by my friend Rae. This Bubble Bar weighs approximately 3.5 oz and sells for $7.40, which is pretty pricey for what it is. (Rae's lucky, Lush is so cheap in the UK!) Creamy Candy is hand made and vegan friendly. I assume this bubble bar was made in the UK. Lush products can be bought through the brand's website, and at Lush shops and kiosks.
      Because Creamy Candy is hand made, there's some variance in appearance, but for the most part this bubble bar is a light pink rectangle with a small candy flower pressed into the top. Compared to other Lush Bubble Bars, Creamy Candy is quite small and is only good for 2-3 baths. The texture of Creamy Candy is very soft and crumbly, making it easy to cut into smaller portions and crumble into the water.
      I wasn't really sure what to expect from the Creamy Candy Bubble Bar, they're such a strange concept. I read that they create mounds of bubbles and are best when used through a strainer or old stocking. I cut this bubble bar into thirds. The first two chunks left me very underwhelmed. I crumbled them under running water, and they made barely any bubbles. Today, I used my final chunk and decided to try the stocking method. I stuffed my last bit of Creamy Candy into the stocking - an unneeded relic from my Catholic school days - and smashed it, tying the stocking to the faucet. Wow, what a difference an old sock can make!

• Lush Buffy the Backside Slayer / Bath & Shower / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:21

Advantages

• soap

Disadvantages

very good soap

This product is a lifesaver for my rough elbows, tiny bumps on arms/legs and any part of me that needs a little extra exfoliation. I have tried every scrub, loofah, pumice stone and lotion I can think of for my elbows and the backs of my legs- nothing else left them looking as nice or bump free. If I have an important event to go to where my arms will be showing, I will use this all over my arms/shoulders and I get the most beautiful glow to my skin. The price is a little high for this bar but I am very conservative with it and I definitely get my money's worth. I also love the smell, it's sort of herbal and muted but it leaves my skin with a nice soft scent. I really cannot recommend this product enough.

Tips: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT UNDER RUNNING WATER. Step out the stream of water, place the bar in your hand and scrub your rough bits away. I also cut the bar up into several pieces, the big bar is harder to divide but it's a better deal in the long run. I never let this product touch the water and each chunk is enough for 3 or 4 showers as long as I don't use it on my whole body. I store it in a travel soap tray that has a cover but it's fine on a shower caddy as long as no water hits it. I recommend only using this on your most rough skin as it can be harsh on your softer parts.

• Lush Mask of Magnaminty / Skin Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.11.2014 15:19

Advantages

• mask

Disadvantages

Holy grail mask

This product is my holy grail mask to get rid of my acne. I use this at least 3 times a week and it significantly clears up my breakouts after using it for about one week. When I first bought this I was a bit hesitant because other mask that claims to be for acne prone skin just doesnt do the trick for me. My pimples weren't those kind that is red and patchy with visible pus but its huge clogged bumps on my forehead, sides of my cheeks and my nose. After hearing recommendations on YouTube I decided to give this one a try and the next thing I knew my skin was soon close to being flawless and people started complimenting me on having glowing skin. I also noticed that after you rinse the mask off, squeezing my blackheads becomes so much more easier as I have very stubborn blackheads. My blackheads are those kind that doesnt budge even when I use a pore strip or anything like that so I have to squeeze it out by hand instead. The self-preserving one is better in my opinion because it doesnt dry up and crack like the original one and it is therefore much more easier to rinse off. My holy freaking grail mask. It exfoliates well, help me controlling the oiliness of my T-zone. People who hv problems with blackheads/whiteheads must be so happy with this product because it helps. It really does. When I was using this mask my skin is very plumped, clear and brightened. These days when I can't buy it anymore, I've been trying to find something to replace it but it's been impossible :( i need this mask to come back to my lifeeee

23.11.2014 15:18

Advantages

• "Looks great"

Disadvantages

• "Can be pulled off"

A good looking cat collar

I like my cats to look good and always buy them high quality collars that are not going to break or scratch them at all. I think it is important that they wear a collar when they go out so if they ever get lost someone knows how to contact me and that they are not a stray.

I have been buying Red Dingo collars for several years now and one of my cats wears a blue one (like the picture) and the other a red one. They also have matching Red Dingo name tags that can be engraved with the cat's details.

The collars are made from a reflective material that glows in the dark if a light catches it. This is useful if they are out at night crossing roads. The collars also have a lovely fish design on them and are quite thick and well stitched meaning that they do not fall apart.

The fastening of the collars is in the shape of a fish and is a quick release fastening that you slot together. This means that if the cat gets its collar stuck on a tree branch the fastening will release so it can get away without being caught.

The only negative with the collars is that sometimes the fastening can release too easily. One of my cats has found a way to get her teeth round the collar (yes she is a bit of a contortionist!) and then manage to pull it apart so it falls off. Fortunately she normally only does this when she is in the house and bored so I don't lose that many collars

The collars normally cost about £6 and can be bought from Amazon and pet stores. They are a bit more expensive than some other collars but I think they are worth it as they are so well made and look great.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown