• secretsales.com / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      28.01.2015 04:57

Advantages

• "Wide variety of products"
      • "Available to anyone and everyone"
      • "Well known brands"
      • "Bargains galore if you're willing to search"
      • "Great prices"

Disadvantages

• "Frequent emails"
      • "Delivery takes an age"

Fantastic site with great bargains!

I came across secretsales.com on my break on nightshift. It was just before Christmas and I was looking for some gift ideas for my family, I enjoy a good bargain and usually just stick to what I know when online shopping but after reading some glowing reviews of secretsales.com I decided to sign up and give it a go!

Signing up was easy enough, just make sure you've got a valid email address and off you go! Every morning I received emails to say which sales were opening at 7am that morning, some were of my interest and some weren't but that's just the nature of a good sale! I couldn't believe my eyes when I was sifting through the site, and I was also surprised at the range of products too. Before Christmas I purchased Swarovski necklaces (£15 each marked down from £130) designer fragrances for a fraction of the RRP and a beautiful designer watch valued at around £350 for £89 to name a few. My understanding of the site is that Secretsales.com buys the shares of certain stock, and in order to get the customer the best price they advertise it before it goes on sale therefore taking quite a while to come through in postage.

The site offers discounted rates on so many products, I recently bought 2 luxury pillows for £10 and they display everything from childrens clothing, make up, perfume, designer gear to home furnishing! Some of the discounts are absolutely fabulous, but you've got to do some digging and at times, get up early because some of the stock goes quickly, particularly the make up and clothing. If you're a regular bargain hunter, or just like to online window shop this site is for you. It also offers a reward scheme which I have had the privilege of using, due to all my Christmas shopping I'd saved up £25 worth of points which I treated myself to a bottle of Moschino perfume!

There are 2 short downfalls of this site, and the first one may be the emails. It feels like I get loads of emails from them on a daily basis which can sometimes be up to 3 or 4 times a day alerting me of any upcoming deals. I haven't turned it off because sometimes they do catch my attention, but I do often end up deleting them because they're so frequent. Another is the shipping time, it can take up to 6 weeks for your purchase to reach you but if you're desperate for that designer clobber at a super attractive cut price it's worth the wait! I saved myself a fortune on designer and fancy gifts for my family this year and I definitely intend on shopping on this site for further bargains!

I've recommended secretsales.com to everyone I know that loves to online shop. It's a great site for browsing and adding all those lovely treats into your virtual basket, even if you're just on to window shop. All their products are well displayed, so you know what you're getting. All of my purchases have come well packaged and in great condition, I haven't had any problems with them at all!

28.01.2015 04:32

Advantages

• "Easy to apply"
      • "Separates lashes "

Disadvantages

• "Massive brush "
      • "Bulky packaging"
      • "Absolute nightmare to remove"
      • "Doesn't lengthen as promised"

Not great! Okay results however like WW3 trying to remove.

I've subscribed to an absolutely fabulous monthly box called Pink Parcel that offers some top quality treats alongside your monthly provisions to make your monthly period more bearable. This month I received Max Factor False Lash Effect, a product that I've never tried out. I don't tend to venture outside of the Rimmell make up range, I find this my 'comfort zone' because the products are cheap, good quality and suit my sensitive skin but since Max Factor is 'the make up of make up artists' I was quite excited to give it a try.

First things first, the packaging is bulky and a bit boring. The brush is massive and the bristles are tiny, I don't really know what this is supposed to achieve but when using it I found it hard to navigate around all of my lashes, missing out the tiny wee ones at the edges of my eyes. Having said that I found the brush was good at separating the long ones and providing a nice frame for my eyes. The applicator took a while to get used to, and I had to position my hand in a weird angle to get used to using it!

The results were good, I didn't have to use my eye lash curler to give my lashes an extra boost as they stayed curled for most of the day with this mascara. I tried it out before a shift and I didn't get much of that annoying (seemingly inevitable) smudging under my eyes that I've gotten with even my trusty Rimmel mascaras, but the true battle is yet to come! I stumbled into my room armed with my face wipes ready to take my make up off and climb into bed, but this mascara just would not budge. I rubbed and rubbed until my eyes were swollen but nothing would wipe it off! I soaked my eyes in hot water and eventually after several tries I got most of it off, however some was still on my lashes and I woke up with enormous panda eyes from rubbing my poor peepers in my sleep.

Unfortunately this experience made me avoid using it again, but I feel that I should invest in a good eye make up remover to win the war against this apparently solid product. I ended up giving this to my sister who is a make up fanatic, and she wasn't as impressed either. So It's a 1 star from me, I won't be in a rush to buy this and I probably wouldn't recommend it either! The results were alright, not great and removing it was a total nightmare!

• Lush Helping Hands / Hand & Nail Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.01.2015 04:06

Advantages

• "long lasting results"
      • "works great as an overnight treatment"
      • "softens the roughest hands"

Disadvantages

• "basic packaging"
      • "takes a while to rub in"
      • "average scent"

Love the product, though the price and the smell might be a bit too much!

As a massive fan of Lush, I tend to turn to this company first when I'm looking for an intensive treatment. I love their lip balms and their hair care when I'm really in need and I've heard great things about their hand treatment 'Helping Hands'. I'm a staff nurse and working in a clinical environment has left my hands very dry with all the hand washing, alcohol gel and just the general tasks of being a nurse! I do use a hand cream through the day (Soap and Glory hand food, to be exact) however at times this isn't enough to nourish my poor wee hands especially during the colder months.

So I purchased Helping Hands online for £7.75 after seeing a review written by someone stating that they were a nurse too, so I figured I should trust a fellow SN! A few days later and the postman brought me my goodies, and Helping Hands came to me in a 100g little pot in the typical Lush packaging. I'm not a massive fan of the Lush packaging, I like to keep all my pots on my nightstand and it doesn't look as cute next to my vitamin E range from The Body Shop which is baby pink. However the pot is easily stored and doesn't come in the usual bulky tubes, which is 'handy' (ha see what I did there) because it's not a total nightmare to get your moneys worth ie cutting off the top and squeezing the living day lights out of the tube to make sure all the product is out. You can just unscrew the top and dunk in, taking as little or as much as you feel necessary! The only thing I dislike about this is the hygiene factor, so I always make sure my hands are clean before dunking in to avoid any transference of bacteria.

The consistency is very creamy and reminds me of a thick yoghurt, which is reassuring as I don't think there's anything better than rubbing in a good thick cream into your hands. I use moisture gloves from The Body Shop every night to make sure my hands get the full benefit from a moisture kick at night and this cream feels perfect for this. It takes quite a while to rub in, so I wouldn't think that this cream would be ideal to carry around during the day. It works great for a night treatment however I'm continuing to use a lighter cream so that I can still carry out tasks that this cream would probably make impossible such as holding a pen or opening doors! The scent is what lets the product down, it's quite a weird smell, with almond, cocoa butter and chamomile I'm not sure what I was expecting but this smell wasn't it! It's a weird, distinctive synthetic smell in my opinion and it's just not that nice!

The benefits of this cream totally overrule the unfavourable aspects (price & smell) because my hands are back to their usual state and feel silky soft to boot. As I previously said my hands are prone to quite a lot of damage and using Helping Hands every other night with my moisture gloves has quite dramatically improved the condition of my hands and they now no longer resemble the claws of a 102 year old's! I would recommend this to anyone who deals with day to day tasks that are hard on the hands, however I think that the price and the smell might put people off. It's quite pricey for only 100g, however this hasn't been much of an issue for me as I only use it every other night. The consistency is too thick for regular use for me but as a night treatment it's fabulous.

• Dewalt DW680K / Planer / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.01.2015 00:40

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • "Reliable machine"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Well built, sturdy machine! Does what it says on the tin!

I can honestly say that I had no idea what a planar was until I bought my first house. Being a pen pusher I have very little experience of DIY or manual work. When I bought my new house, all was well, but as the months rolled on, problem after problem cropped up. One of the problems that cropped up was that as we descended into winter the wooden door of my garage which I had no previous problems with started to stick. Eventually the door would only close with a lot off physical force. Then it would not close at all. After much consultation it was explained to me that the people who sold me the house had not treated the wood properly. So when I saw it in summer the door was fine, but as winter set in and the wood absorbed water and the temperature dropped, the door expanded and no longer fitted the frame. I was so annoyed.

I was advised to get hold of a planer and to shave the door down to fit the frame. There was no way I would fork out for one as I probably wouldn't ever use one again so I borrowed one. My friend who is a tradesman lent me the Dewalt Dw680k. I was aware of Dewalts good reputation and new that they were reliable, with a history of good build quality and performance. The machine is sturdy and well built and has a 600W power lead. It can achieve 1500rpm and has a maximum planing depth of 2mm. After several shaves the door fitted and I could securely lock my garage at night.

I fully recommend this product. It is easy to use, comfortable to hold and easily completes the ob at hand.

28.01.2015 00:38

Advantages

• "Great performance in the dry"

Disadvantages

• "Wear quicker than others"

Good but not the best

Infamous with car enthusiasts around the world, the Toyo proxe T1-r is an all time classic and has been with us a few years now.

Out of the box they look great, nice sporty look with deep directional tread and a handy rim protection lip around the side wall, protecting those oh so precious new wheels from the Mrs's parking efforts.

Dry, smooth, twisty stretches of tarmac are where the proxes come alive. The steering response of this tyre is amazing, tackling tight chicanes with ease. Same story for long sweeping, high speed bends, planting the car to the road. Unfortunately this seems to be fairly short lived, life expectancy isn't particularly long. The last set i bought i managed a measly 3000 miles. Grip seemed to fade after the first 1500 miles, until eventually it just ran out. To be fair i used these tyres as toyo intended, as a performance tyre so a huge life span wasn't to be expected.

Im not sure of the opinion of others but i was rather disappointed with the proxes in the wet. I found they didn't handle particularly well, aquaplaning quite badly and an abundance of under steer (they were fitted to a front wheel drive car). Confidence with the proxes in the wet has always been quite minimal for me.

The price of the Toyo Proxe t1-r is quite attractive, generally being cheaper than the equivalents from competitors, but be weary as you may find yourself ordering another set sooner than expected. In the dry they never fail to impress although a disappointment in the wet.

28.01.2015 00:00

Advantages

• "Excellent grip"

Disadvantages

One of the best performance tyres on the market

The Yokohama Parada is one of my favorite performance tyres, to date iv'e owned 4 sets and in a weeks time i'll have ordered my fifth set. So straight away i can say i would recommend this tyre.

To most self admitted car geeks the appearance of performance orientated parts is almost as important as its function and for me tyres are no exception, and Yokohama's parada definitely looks the part, sporting an aggressive tread pattern and asymmetrical design. It certainly looks unique.

The paradas attributes don't stop at its looks either. On the road the paradas perform amazingly well. The tyre boasts excellent road holding capabilities, giving masses off grip. This can be felt immediately through the steering wheel, inspiring confidence and making for a very entertaining drive.

The excellent tyre continues to perform even when the weather worsens and the heavens open. The Paradas grip extremely well in the wet and in my opinion only beaten by the Uniroyal rainsport 2. Yokohama claim that the deep directional groves are there to displace water outwards and away from the tyre improving efficiency and grip in the wet, also helping to reduce aquaplaning.

During day to day driving the tyre still performs well, road noise is fairly minimal and wear doesn't seem to be too bad. The side walls are quite soft allowing some give to take up small bumps resulting in a good ride quality.

Bearing in mind this is a performance tyre they seem to wear fairly well, the aggressive tread pattern means you have a fair bit of tread depth to play with before falling foul of the uk limit. Obviously if you use these tyres in anger regularly they'll wear at a much quicker rate, but if the tracking on your car is setup correctly (this applies to any tyre really) and you rotate them regularly with only occasional spirited use, then you can expect to see quite a few miles out of them. The last set i bought lasted around 11 thousand miles.

To some up, these tyres are an excellent performance upgrade, offering a ton of grip, as well as looking good. But don't expect a million miles from them, there are much better alternatives if that's what you require.

• Rush Hairdressers / Hair Care / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      27.01.2015 23:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Poor product knowledge "
      • "Staff Training in question "
      • "Poor Service "

Brazillian Blow Dry at Rush Salon in Woking - NOT RECOMMENDED.

I had the Brazilian blow dry in the Woking Salon. I did not ask for it. My hair was fine. I got a hard sales pitch and thought, why not. The treatment is supposed to leave your hair beautifully conditioned Following the treatment my hair has fallen out in clumps. I have cut my hair (at a different salon) three times following this treatment but it hasn't helped. The damage is right to the roots. This treatment destroyed my hair. They said this has never happened before and apologised. Somehow I doubt this. I received a refund a month later but only when I complained. I was told that perhaps the straighteners used directly after the treatment were probably too hot. Who knows -who cares- they destroyed my hair. I do not believe that the stylist knew what she was doing. The apology was meaningless. My long hair, which was in good condition is now short and still completely broken to the roots -there is hair loss on the underneath. It is a disgrace that Rush Salon are promoting this product or not training their staff in its use. If I am just a one off then surely that's enough to put you off using this salon or any salon within the Rush Group. You have been warned. !!

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.01.2015 23:23

Advantages

• "straightforward and easy "
      • "Great website!"

Disadvantages

• none

The PC you actually want at a respectable price. No qualms.

Second laptop purchased from these guys (this time for myself) and I cant be happier. The site looked great, was easy to use and build the exact machine I wanted. Specs were clear and the descriptions painted the perfect picture of the exact the machine I was going to get. The first one that I bought last year for a family member is still running perfectly.

Build and delivery system is great (came well within quoted time), step by step updates and great communication throughout the whole process. It really feels like they are putting care into the order and paying attention to detail at all times.

I chose to go for a system with no OS and there was plenty of advice and steps to take in order to prepare for the pc and get the best from it. Again support was excellent, drivers came on a disk as well as being supplied on-line, tailored to my machine. No digging around.

So far I cannot comment on after-care as I've had no issues. The laptop looks great and runs perfectly. Support with all contact details are highlighted and well displayed should I need them.

Overall. very happy with the computer. Prices were very competitive and the hardware stays as current as possible. The fact that its not a pre-built system with a model number adhering to specific specs is the most attractive thing. You choose exactly what goes in. No pre-installed rubbish, just the machine you want.

Thanks again folks. Seems pointless buying branded computers any more.

• Whittard Flavoured Green Teas / Tea / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      27.01.2015 23:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

STRAWBERRY AND ORANGE GREEN TEA!

Oh, they give with one hand and take with the other Whittards.

I'm glad Whittards is looking at all the tea ranges, changing some teas and adding others but lately their favoured green tea have been reduced in choice of flavour.

Although there may be a smaller range they pulled this little beauty out the bag.
      As far as I know this is currently only in leaf tea format but Whittards does provide a range of accessories to make it easy for you to brew at home.

This has all the added benefit of Green tea, but the delicious taste of sweet strawberry, which is uplifting, and tangy orange really goes well. I thought the mashup might be a disaster but the blend compliments each other.
      This is best taken without milk or sugar and if someone says they'll make you a cup double check this particular aspect with them[!]

I brought a packet for £6 and it lasted me more than four months! A bargain. At first you do think 'that's a bit expensive' but it does go a long way.
      When brewing I would recommend you don't leave it to stew for too long as the flavour will completely be destroyed by the green tea.
      This is best brewed light and great for those summer afternoons in the sun if we get any!
      If you make a purchase online there are a few more choices available and if you purchase a bulk buy the discount can be reasonable.

• Philips SHC1300 / Headphones / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
      27.01.2015 22:53

Advantages

• Wireless

Disadvantages

• "Low life"
      • "Bad quality"

Not great at all

As I was hapeading to uni I thought it wouldbe a great idea to buy some wireless headphones so that I could walk around and listen to music without awing anyone up. I was looking for something not too bulky, by a good make and that wasn't to expensive. These seemed like the perfect option.

However when I got them home and tried to use them I found it very very difficult to get them to work at all. First of all the plug was basically broken and would only work if placed in one exact position and them would knock itself out of place over and over again causing the lack of what little signal I was able to find. When I did get them to work and found a signal it was always very crackly, even when facing directly towards the signal box there was still a staticy noise coming from the background, let alone when you tried to move something, was worse than the ratio in a car!

The fact that they work off of aaa battery's didn't bother me so much as I bought a cheapish set of rechargeables and a charger so not to spend any money on battery's which would have come in handy had the product actually worked in the first place.

Also I know when a friend bought these headphones that it came with a European two pin plug than an English 3 pin one, however mine which I bought fro an Argos store did come with an English one :)

• Sky Movies Premier / TV Channel / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      27.01.2015 22:42

Advantages

• "Great cast"

Disadvantages

• Samey

Boardwalk Empire season 5 now on Sky Premier!

Star – Steve Bucsemi
      Genre – Crime
      Run Time – 12 x 50 minutes
      Certificate – 18R
      Country – USA
      Awards – Wins & Nominations
      Amazon – £.00 (£.0 Blue Ray)

I have to admit it folks I think I have been had by Boardwalk Empire. It’s the same stuff every series and kind of dumb in its own right. Gangster with big hat shoots gangster with smaller hat and new gangster arrives on the scene with an even bigger hate and wants to shoot the other hats. It’s like they reboot the plot at the start of each new season but with the hats passed around like musical hats, I suppose. When it’s written and created by Terrance Winter, he of the brilliant Sopranos, and Martin Scorcese and Mark Wahlberg also onboard, as are many other top writers with various episodes, it hinted at great things. When HBO blew $18 million just on the pilot you knew they were serious. But the trio have really just created a lavish version of the rather cliché gangsters with those big hats, cigars and Tommy Guns we all love from the 1920s and 30s to simply try and draw in a bigger audience than The Sopranos, a kind of period ‘dumbed down’ version of. It doesn’t mean its particular naff or anything and I am enjoying it and perhaps taking things for granted some but it just hasn’t moved into the great television show bracket the way Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and The Wire did. It needed to, considering the cast and creators.

===The main cast this season===

Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
      Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
      Christina Jackson as Maybelle White
      Eric Ladin as J. Edgar Hoover
      Brady and Connor Noon as Tommy Darmody
      Greg Antonacci as Johnny Torrio (4 episodes)
      Vincent Piazza as Charlie Luciano
      Michael Kenneth Williams as Albert "Chalky" White
      Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler
      Kelly Macdonald as Margaret Thompson
      Paul Sparks as Mickey Doyle
      Patricia Arquette as Sally Wheet (7 episodes)
      Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
      Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
      Joe Masseria as James Ciccone

Season Four begins as Enoch ‘Nucky’ Thompson (Steve Buscemi) brushes himself down after seeing off carnation wearing New York mobster Gyp Rossetti and cutting deals with fellow mobsters Joe Masseria (James Ciccone) and Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg) to retain the peace. But the old routine of running bootleg to Atlantic City is soon shaken up with the arrival of the rather erudite black Harlem gangster Valentin Narcisse (Jeffrey Wright), who has eyes on taking over the black side of town, run by Albert ‘Chalky’ White (Michael Kenneth Williams), who is distracted by beautiful jazz singer Daughter Maitland (Margot Bingham), why Narcisse dangled her there in the first place.

Retired ATF agent Nelson Van Alden\George Mueller (Michael Shannon) is going over to the dark side to pay his way in the world by getting a job with Irish mobster Micky Doyle (Paul Sparks), who angers AL Capone (Stephen Graham) up in Chicago by trying to move heroin on the booze runs, Capone getting Mueller to snitch on the Irishman.
      Nucky’s brother Elias "Eli" Thompson (Shea Whigham) appears to be back in his box after his family betrayal and son Willie (Ben Rosenfield) the one showing the most potential to further the Thompson family business as Nucky ponders retirment.

Gillian Darmody (Gretchen Mol) is suffering a heroine addiction and trying to find a man who will give her a life she is accustomed to whilst Nucky is intrigued by a lady he meets in Florida, sassy shotgun wheeling Sally Wheet (Patricia Arquette), looking to expand her bootleg operation in Atlantic City’s direction. But ambitious ATF Agent Warren Knox/James "Jim" Tolliver (Brian Geraghty) is on all of the mobster’s backs on the East Coast and looking to link them all to indict on conspiracy laws to impress the new head of the soon to be FBI, J. Edgar Hoover (Eric Ladin). And with a rat in the Thompson camp it may well happen as the various mobsters are soon at each others throats.

===Any Good===

Twelve episodes in two weeks and job done! But if you really dig a boxset and gripped by the drama then you take two days to see it. Its good fun but way to predictable and although everyone acts their socks off and the sets look amazing it still feels samey. There is no doubt Buscemi has delivered one of televisions great characters and brotherly rivalry but a lot of the other important characters feel two dimensional. One of the best ones from the first three series, Kelly Macdonald as Margaret Thompson, is all but written out of this season and the series clearly losing its powerful female influence, the women just eye candy and naked prostitutes by the end of series 4.

Jeffrey Wright is excellent as the absurd Harlem character as he goes up against the complete opposite in Chalky White, the uneducated thug keeping it real for his people, and enough added racial tension there to push the series in a new direction. Stephen Graham continues to terrify us every episode with his psychotic Al Capone. That moral dimension is still missing from nearly all of Boardwalk Empire's characters, who murder and maim at will, if somewhat discriminately. It’s almost as if that its biggest attraction. But without Buscemi’s empty moral vessel of genius this would be an ensemble piece without a beating heart. He is brilliant, a man who can’t enjoy his power as he spends all his time trying to keep it as the numbskulls around him muck things up.

Of course I will watch series five and the big finale and perhaps I am taking it all for granted as it is so consistently good but I still feel it lacks that dark humor of The Wire and grubbiness of The Sopranos, what mobsters are really like. It’s a beautiful period painting, that there is no doubt, and as hard as Peaky Blinders tried to copy it there can be only one. I am already looking forward to season five as it really is time to end, the way Breaking Bad was one series too many. Its brave decision to call it a day as this type of show could go on and on with its repetitive narrative.

===Ratings===
      Rottentomatos.com – 95% critic’s approval
      Metacriitc.com – 77% critic’s approval

===Extras===

===Critics===

Winnipeg Press –‘Momentum concerns aside, Boardwalk Empire remains a beautifully crafted period drama whose multi-layered plotlines give each member of its large cast lots of opportunities to shine’

TV Fanatic –‘ All in all it was a good season. Good, not great, but I'll definitely be back for Season 5’.

Time Magazine –‘Season 4 was even more sprawling, and arguably more disjointed, and yet it was richer overall’.

Quick Flix –‘ his might be Boardwalk Empire at its peak, but its peak remains much lower than other shows of its ilk. It's an 'A' season from a 'B+' show’.

We Got This Covered –‘ Boardwalk Empire can be frustrating in just how long it takes to get anywhere, and while this episode was not exactly fast-paced, it did provide some memorable moments’.

============

27.01.2015 22:38

Advantages

• "Easy use"
      • Lightweight
      • Pretty

Disadvantages

• "None rotatable"

Very pretty hardy case!

I have had this iPad case since Christmas. I currently have it in a blue and grey owl design. It is very good looking and very slimline but very protective fro what I have learnt so far (and I am quite clumsy with my iPad). It has place so you can turn it into a stand for your iPad and also folds back out of the way which I have found others do not do and often feel big and clumpy but this case does not. It has a handy little clip on the side to stop the case from falling open in your bag etc. the only downside I would say to this case is that it only stands up landscape and does not rotate and stand portrait which a lot of others seem to do. However for its price (not bad for a case these days) it is a good hardy case which your iPad mini or a similar tablet will fit in brilliantly. Has all the nessasary openings for volume, power, lock, headphone etc. and has the technology to lock and switch off the display on closing the case and put the display back on upon opening the case. The case grips the side of the case so does not cover any of the screen meaning everything is viewable which it isn't with some similar cases. The designs are very eye catching and lovely patterns or similarly the do some lovely flat colours or the conventional black if that is what you are after :)

• Bossypants - Tina Fey / Fiction Book / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      27.01.2015 22:02

Advantages

• "Very Funny"

Disadvantages

Humorous and meaningful.

Tina Fey's book Bossypants has been one of the best things I've read in the last couple of years. Recently there seems to have been huge number of comedians with a similar background to her publishing autobiographies or books of their musings on the world (Amy Poehler, Mindy Kaling, Rachel Dratch etc.). Many of them fall a bit flat but Tina Fey's offering is an engaging book that manages to keep the humour whilst exploring her life and experiences in some depth.

One of the lovely things about this book is it feels like a friend casually sharing with you their history and life experiences. Fey's book follows through from her childhood to leaving home, getting her first foot in the door in the world of comedy through to huge success in this area. She shares her honeymoon, her experiences of having children and trying to balance success and parenting.

Fey's wonderfully descriptive style and witty way with words immerses you in her world. This book does cover her experience of many hot button topics such as the way women are viewed in the media & parenting. She manages to neatly bundle up her experiences as someone who needs to promote her work but also seems to feel deeply uncomfortable with much of the way women are treated in her male dominated workplace and portrayed in the world at large.

Fey manages to avoid coming across as someone for who things to have been easy and does lay bare some of her awkward times which makes her very likeable and many of her experiences are ones I can relate to.

I really enjoyed 30 Rock so hearing how that series came about was another attraction to this book.

Overall I'd recommend it if you like Fey's quirky comedic style and want a light but engrossing read.

• Now TV Box / Set Top Box / 3 Readings / 1 Rating
      27.01.2015 21:41

Advantages

• "Being able to watch Sky Movies"

Disadvantages

• "Non that we have come across"

We couldn't afford Sky Movies but through this system we have been able to.

We bought the Now TV BOX FROM Sainsbury's after our son said he'd purchased one there. The price was £14.99 with 2 months Sky Movie bundle. You do have to register a bank card when you sign into the Now TV website but you can cancel at any time. The set up of the box was so easy to do even for a 70 year old! Lovely to watch some really good movies during these dull January and February days without having to lock yourself into a long subscription. You can buy one month and then not have it to following month just dip in and out when you want to. You can, if you want, also watch Sky On Demand TV. Also you can purchase the entertainment package, Granddaughter has this, or a Sky Sports package through the same box ordering on line. We have been very happy with this system.

27.01.2015 21:00

Advantages

• "It stops my phone getting scratched on the back"
      • "It is bright and looks good"

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

Union Jack phone cover

WHAT IS IT?

This is a cover for a phone that has got the Union Jack on it. You can buy Union Jack phone covers for all different phones but the one I have got is for an iphone 4. I bought it because I am Italian not English but I went to a dance at my daughters school that had got a theme of royalty and I wanted for my phone to fit in with the red white and blue clothes I had put on.

THE DESIGN

The design of the phone cover is that it is one that fits on the back of your phone and the phone clips into it at the sides. The front of the phone is not covered or protected. It does not add very much size to my phone but I still have to be careful that I do not scratch the screen because the cover does not protect it.

You can buy these Union Jack covers that are soft and made of rubber or hard plastic also. Mine is the hard case but I bought this only because I could not find a bright colour case in the rubber design.

WHAT I THINK

I am happy with my phone cover but I do not use it for all the time because I think it is a little bit too flash and it does not help to protect the front of my phone. I like a cover that goes over the front also.

It is a strong cover and does not fall off my phone ever, it clips on quite tight and I am happy about that because other covers that I have used have felt loose.

ANYTHING ELSE

I paid £3 only for my cover and I think that is value because the cover looks very good and it is strong also.

4 Dooyoo Hearts.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown