• MSI Z97 XPOWER AC / Motherboard / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.03.2015 02:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Its a best and low priced mother board

The MSI Z97 XPOWER AC motherboard which is seated in the MSI OC series. MSI's new OC Series include the Z97 MPower, Z97 MPower MAX AC, and the Z97 XPower AC. We test the flagship today, the Z97 XPOWER AC. It is big, it is fast, it is extensive and it probably is one of the most aesthetically pleasing Z97 motherboards available on the market today. MSI took the Z97 chipset and then started adding. Adding a PLX chip for quad-SLI/Crossfire support, adding AC WIFI, adding heaps of SATA3 connectors, adding overclock features, adding a very nice audio solution and well, they added pretty much anything they could find. Join us in a the Z97 XPower AC review, a product that is bound to please the enthusiast PC gamer.

Intel released their series 9 chipsets, among them will be low-end and high-end desktop solutions. For the consumers and readers of Guru3D, H97 and Z97 will be the two most interesting ones. For the HTPC end of things H97 is the most appealing as tweaking options are stripped away with a lower price-tag. For the more hardcore gamers and PC aficionados, the Z97 is the most interesting. Z97 by itself as a chipset is nothing special. HOWEVER we have plenty to look at as the motherboard manufacturers went totally nuts and started redesigning their motherboards, added new features and made them extraordinarily cool. You'll spot new redesigns build on the DNA of Z87 yet improved massively. Cool looks, features like AC WIFI, M2 SSDs and Sata Express will bring some very interesting features onto the market. So if (at the time) you didn't upgrade to Z87, now might be a good time.

The Z97 XPOWER AC comes with powerful CPU and RAM overclocking capabilities. Now this board can manage 3 and 4-way SLI really well. To increase PCI-E Lane bandwidth MSI added a PLX PEX8747 bridge chip allowing you to drive four PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots. The MSI Z97 XPower AC is build to impress and as such will bring 10 x SATA 6Gbps ports to the table. That's next to the new sporty M.2 slot and 12 x USB 3.0 ports. Much like the entire MSI range this board is fitted with AudioBoost audio that has a built-in headphone amp. Obviously the board has 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Intel based Gigabit Ethernet and many OC features, something that includes a coolant based heatsink so you can liquid cool the CPU VRM, voltage measurement points 2, on-board OC/voltage fine-tuning buttons, and a backup BIOS. The V-Check Points 2 which will let use 2 ground connectors so that you now can use up to 3 multi-meters at the same time.

MSI also delivers a "Delid Die Guard" that's measured to specification and designed to protect the CPU core on processors that no longer have an integrated heat spreader (IHS). Also included is a OC Fan stand (fan mounting kit to generate airflow on an open system with a fan included. MSI even includes a 8GB OC Pen drive for you to store your OC profiles on. Matching in a nice black/yellow design of course.

All-in-all this motherboard offers it all, so join me in an extensive review and overview of what MSI has to offer with the MSI Z97 XPOWER AC motherboard, next page please.

• Dell Studio 15 / Laptop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.03.2015 02:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Its best for the guys who love playing Games!!!

The Good Borrows are some of the best design features of the more expensive XPS line; built-in media remote control.

The Bad Bulkier than the 15-inch XPS model; just under the wire for new Centrino 2 chips.

The Bottom Line Dell's first release from its new Studio line, the Studio 15, sits between the Inspiron and XPS lines and offers a good mix of features for the price, but we'd be tempted to save up a few extra dollars for a thinner, lighter XPS.

Parsing the intended markets for Dell's ever-shifting in-house brand names requires a bit of tea-leaf reading, although it's been easier of late, with the company stripping down its consumer brands to just the Inspiron and XPS lines. Now the company is adding a new line between the budget Inspiron and the high-end XPS. The new Studio line, as personified by the $1,250 15-inch Studio 15, has the same tapered shape, slot-loading optical drive, and rounded hinge as the Dell XPS M1530, but a similarly configured Studio system costs roughly $300 less than a similarly outfitted XPS.

The trade-off is mostly in size and finish. Even though it has a similar look, the Studio laptop is about 25 percent thicker and slightly heavier than its more upscale XPS cousin, with plastic accents instead of metal. We'd be tempted to toss in the extra $300 for the brushed-metal wrist rest and slimmer design of the XPS, but the Studio line does offer personalization options (lots of colors and graphic imprints) beyond what's available for Dell's other laptops, along with a slot-loading optical drive and credit-card-style media remote for about $200 more than a similarly configured Inspiron 1525 (not including discrete graphics, which are not available on the 1525).

01.03.2015 01:19

• Good

Disadvantages

Cooking is good

This was bought for me as a Christmas present because my obsession with baking was getting crazy and I wanted my arm to stop hurting! I have nothing else to compare it with, having never owned a stand mixer before and so I can only comment on what I have experienced with this machine.

First of all it is so incredibly noisy that I wonder if my neighbours hate me if I'm baking more than one thing in a day. This is even with it on the low setting. I have tried it on a higher setting and found it to be much noisier but not much more useful. It seems to have more settings than actually required, as I don't notice much difference in between each. The settings it has are on the attached hand mixer which affect the speed of the whisks and also on the stand to affect the speed at which the bowl rotates (the extra settings for the latter I find useless).

One thing I have also noticed is that when mixing, the attached whisks don't get right in to the side and so some mixture is left there. This requires me to mix that part myself or incorporate it into the mixture before switching the machine back on.

The machine does come with some extras; these include an extra set of whisks, dough hooks (great for making bread!) and its own spatula. The spatula in particular is great to get into the previously mentioned unmixed areas and also for scraping the mixture out. It's a lot sturdier than the usual flexible spatulas which can good or bad, considering what you need it to do. While normal spatulas are great for scraping bowls (and would certainly work with the mixer), this solid one is brilliant for the mixer itself.

One plus point as well is if you need just a hand mixer, you can detach that from the stand and use it on its own.

It certainly takes the effort out of baking and I would recommend it as a starter stand mixer, but I think I will be upgrading at some time in the future.

• Dunlop Wellington Boots / Shoes / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.03.2015 00:25

Advantages

• basic
      • dry
      • "well built"

Disadvantages

• "hard on the sole"

simple and reliable.

I bought a pair of these recently for work after I fort tired of shelling out for hiking boots that claimed to be "COMPLETELY WATER PROOF" and ended up being as much use as a paper bag in the rain.

At the end of the day with these though you get what you paid for.
      A cheap pair of wellies that will keep your feet warms and dry whether your in a field in the middle of nowhere or walking to work in a storm.

I found that the sole doesn't have a lot of flex in and takes along time to break but you get a get a grip from the tread.

If you do get a pair I'd buy some thick soaks to go with just to make them a little more comfortable to walk in. I ended up with a few blisters before I had the sense to do that.

But if your looking for something cheap that won't fall apart or mess you about. I'd say this is the way to go. If your looking something flashy with pretty colours and fancy patterns then go else where.

01.03.2015 00:05

Advantages

• "durable "
      • "simple design"
      • "light weight "

Disadvantages

• "expensive extras"
      • "requires constant updates"
      • "lack of software"

Overall it's not a bad but i wouldnt recommend it.

Ok so I've had my surface rt for little over 6 months now and I can say I've well and truly put it to test.

For a start I bought for about £350 (bare in mind this is one of the oldest surface tabs available).

The RT is a very basic windows tablet great doing simple things, e.g checking emails, Facebook, Skype, Netflix and Xbox games. So if your not a massive tech head its a good little piece of kit. The scream plays in full HD and sound isn't half bad either.

One major downside to the RT is the software. All software MUST be downloaded from the Microsoft store and no software you download off the web will run on it because of the operating system.

The tablet also requires constant updates to keep its antivirus program up to date. This happens almost every day.

But it's not all doom and gloom the tablet comes loaded with basic office programs such as word, excel, PowerPoint, etc. These can be used either using the touch screen keyboard of if your will to she'll out the extra £90ish you can get a touchcover keyboard that connects to the bottom of the tablet.

• Sennheiser PX100-II / Headphones / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.02.2015 23:54

Advantages

• "strong headband"
      • "store away easily"
      • "so comfortable"
      • "good sound quality"

Disadvantages

• "none really"

Listen to Sennheiser in your ears .... although i've never heard of this composer ???

I like listening to music but I feel that those around me may not like my taste, which means that I tend to use earphones of one kind of another. Sadly though, these days, they don't make things to last like they did in my day, (ay-up lad.. those were the days).
      And these headphones are ones that I have used, and managed to keep them going for nearly 18 months, before they began to fail. Although I can't really blame the headphones themselves as I dropped them into the dogs water bowl and damaged one of the speakers.
      But whilst they worked they were great.
      They have what they call and 'Open back design for natural sound reproduction'
      The cable goes into the one speaker only and as the cable is over a metre long there's planty of cable to play with.
      The headband piece is pretty strong, being made of plastic, with a slither of metal along the top side and a padded band on the underside which makes them nice and soft to wear.
      The band and speakers folds into itself, sort of, with the speakers pushing into the band, making it easy to store. Which normally makes headphones a little brittle, in a way, as the speaker section usually sticks you from the frame. But with these the speaker ear pieces fold into the band which keeps them out of harms way.
      On the end of the wire there is the standard 3.5mm jack, which fits into most, if not all music systems. But even if it doesn't fit your larger music systems you can always buy an adapter for a couple of quid.
      The sound quality is great, without a doubt, although I do hear a lot of outside noise even when I have the volume on high. I tend to find that many of these type of headphone find it difficult to block out the world, unlike my favourite in ear, bud type earphones which really do block out the stuff that's going in around you.

As for the price, these little headphones sell for about £30 which may sound a little high priced for a simple set but for the sound quality and the comfort of these does make them worth the money.
      So, if you're after a decent set of headphones then these are well worth looking at. You won't find these in the pound-plus shop

28.02.2015 23:43

Advantages

• luxurious
      • "Gorgeous scent"

Disadvantages

• "Out of my regular budget"

Luxurious and with a lovely scent.

I was given a Champneys Spa Indulgence Distant Shores giftset at Christmas, and one of the components was a 50ml tub of the body butter. Naturally I gave it a bit of a sniff upon receiving it, and liking the fragrance it became something I very much looked forward tpo trying out, though I forced myself to wait until I'd finished the body butter I was currently using (one of my new years resolutions, to stop abandoning products halfway through).

Fast forward to the beginning on February though, and it was fair game. My pot looks a little different from the one pictured above, perhaps because it was part of the gift set. Its a vibrant hot pink, with a gold lid and a gold bar bearing the Champneys logo. It looks very vibrant and fun, and I think is actually a much more appealing design than some of the other Champneys products which can tend to look a tad old fashioned.

Opening up, the cream is a bright white and very thick, much thicker than many other body butters I have used, and yet quite soft and easy to spread over the skin. It feels very cooling when smoothed over skin, and absorbs surprisingly well for something so thick. It really does feel like an indulgent treat using this. It leaves the skin soft and moisturised, and leaves behind a lovely scent.

The scent is very tropical- I actually thought it was pineapple at first sniff, but once it's smoothed onto skin and warms up it is much easier to identify the passionfruit and mango elements. This smells of summer- which I think is why I'm enjoying using it so much on these dreary grey winter days.

The product has a shelf life of twelve months from opening - I don't think my little pot is going to last that long though, I'm almost at the end, having used this after every bath for the last month. I'm not sure how much was paid for the gift set, but a 300ml tub of this costs £10 from Boots, and whilst that is more than I would typically spend on a body butter, I do think in this case, the quality, the beautiful scent, and the indulgent feeling I get using this justify the price.

My budget doesn't stretch to me making this my only body butter, there are just some months where a cheapy option is the only option, but I will be purchasing more of this when budget allows, and I very much recommend it!

28.02.2015 23:05

Advantages

• "Frothy milk"
      • "Easy to clean"
      • Speed
      • "Quality coffee"

Disadvantages

Best coffee maker, so easy and tasty. No regrets!!

I LOVE this coffee machine! It genuinely makes me happy each day when I get my perfect frothy cup of coffee. I look forward to it as a real treat.

I bought this a year ago and I can honestly say that I still think it's fantastic and I have not had a coffee machine before that I have still really loved using after that time. I have tried a few really excellent quality machines but they have all been quite a lot of hassle dealing with ground coffee and cleaning the machine, so I decided to try a capsule machine.

A friend had this machine and I always enjoyed her coffee so thought I would try it. I was a bit concerned that it was a little bit pricy as you can only order the capsules directly from Nespresso. you can buy cheaper fake versions of the capsules but why bother when the taste is so good with the originals and the cost is only about 30p per cup which is really good when you are essentially getting a coffee shop cup of coffee.

The milk frother is amazing. It can also do just warm, non frothy milk and cold frothy milk. The capsules come in a variety of flavours including some specialities like chocolate mint or vanilla. They also do decaf, but their main coffees are fantastic. I especially like the lungo coffees which are more like cappuccinos than espressos.

The helpline where you order the coffees is also great and you can recycle the capsules. The orders comes really quickly.

The machines needs very little maintenance and the few parts that need washing can be done every so often with ease. the milk frother needs washing after each use.

I genuinely think this is the best coffee maker around and all my friends love coming round to mine for coffee as its so tasty!!

• AEG BHO 18 / Planer / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.02.2015 22:46

Advantages

• "Has power"

Disadvantages

• "Not for the nervous people."
      • "shakes like that Steven's bloke behind his green door"
      • "sometimes uncontrollable "
      • unsafe

A plane that should stay grounded and locked in the hanger forever

This has a good 1500watts of power with a maximum cutting depth of 62mm. It has two handles, with the rear handle having the trigger under it, together with the locking button.
      The footplate can be angled, by loosening the plastic wingnut on the front of the plate, tightening the same nut when you get the angle you want. Or you can leave the footplate level to do a standard straight cut.
      The footplate on this is made of something that looks as tough as steel but in reality it's as strong as that aluminium foil you put in the bottom of your grilling plate to catch the grease from the sausages you're cooking. This plate seeming to move more than it should, which lets this once down right from the start.
      But that's not the worst of this one. The worst thing is that the guard that covers the most dangerous part of this saw, the spinning blade, is made of the same fragile material, which was the main reason that made me want to give this.
      To be honest, i'm usually pretty confident when it comes to using such tools, having grown up with using them, knowing what they, and myself, are capable of doing. But this one seemed to make me nervous each time I used it. When I say nervous, I really mean it scared the beejeebies out of me. The reason being that as soon as the blade began to spin, getting to full power straight away, the entire saw housing began to shake so badly that I was struggling to keep hold to it. And that was before the blade hit the wood I planned on cutting.
      There was just something with this that made me feel like it wanted to take my hand off as soon as pulled the trigger. It's like it's alive, a crocodile on steroids, a piranha with an attitude. It's one of those tools that should not be used by anyone with a nervous disposition as will put them off using power tools forever...

For the record, I am obliged to tell you the price of this, which I don't want to really as if you bought this due to the low price of £35 - £40.the price sounds good but is it worth losing a few digits if things go wrong?

To be honest, if I could give this minus stars I would.

• Dunlop Wellington Boots / Shoes / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.02.2015 22:39

Advantages

• "Great for camping"
      • Dry
      • Sturdy

Disadvantages

• "Not the most comfortable"

Solid recommendation!

For a company that is known for making long lasting tyres, wellingtons may be a strange product. However their expertise for all things rubber seem to have paid off as this sturdy boot is dream for puddles and flashing your designer brand at glastonbury!

• Suzuki GSX-R600 / Motorcycle / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.02.2015 22:34

Advantages

• "Reliable "
      • "First time bike"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

• "Fairing unpractical"
      • "Only 600cc"

Good start, will do the job.

This little crotch rocket shall get you from A to B with the flash you need to impress Miss Sally. However the 600cc engine will bore you after a few years of riding and you may be mistaken for having a mid life crisis. Non the less, for the price the bike is reliable and will keep you loyal to two wheels for life.

28.02.2015 22:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bedtime cuppa

In the past I have enjoyed herbal teas such as whittards dream time but it's very sugary so I have been looking for alternatives and this is one of the ones I picked

**Price and where to buy**
      This cost £2.25 for 20 (march 2015) from clippers own site. This costs £1.50 at asda and they are currently the cheapest . I think 7-8p a teabag is nice and cheap. This brand is a bit more expensive than your supermarket one but I do think the flavours tend to be a bit better.

**The brand**
      Clipper Is a tea and coffee brand. I do drink quite a lot of tea and would rate this brand as quite cheap - maybe next brand up from supermarkets own. Its quite widely available in shops and I have found cafes often stock it as well. Their tagline is that all their products are pure and natural - nothing with artificial ingredients.

I don't always mention packaging on these types of reviews but I quite liked how the packaging had a nighttime feel. I also like how each teabag is wrapped individually.

**Product description**
      **organic chamomile, lemon balm and lavender infusion. Just the thing before lights out.**

When I first add water I tend to notice a camomile and mint smell. It does taste weird to start with but so does a lot of herbal tea. Its not a bad taste once you get used to it. This makes for a very relaxing cup of tea. I don't know about its claims to help sleep as my days are pretty busy anyway but it does help me to relax.

I do recommend this brand as a nice healthy alternative to other drinks

28.02.2015 22:33

Advantages

• "decent and low price"

Disadvantages

• none

Incredible Turntable with low price

I bought this аs а stаnd-in for а record plауer of mу mom's thаt she hаd lent to someone аnd never got bаck (аnd still hаsn't). For the moneу I pаid for it (on sаle for GBP50 or so) it's а decent record plауer, аnd уou'll be hаrd pressed to find аnother with а built in receiver in this price rаnge. The sound when hooked into externаl speаkers is prettу good аll things considered, but it's not going to hold up well аgаinst аnуthing more expensive.

Construction wise I hаven't hаd аnу reаl problems in the severаl months I've hаd it, from the looks of other reviews I guess I got luckу in thаt respect. It plауs smoothlу аnd hаs аn аuto-stop feаture аnd а rаise/lower lever (which is greаt if уou hаve shаkу hаnds like me), it even hаs а little 45 аdаptor tucked аwау in the corner which I thought wаs nice. It's аlso cool thаt it plауs 77 rpm records, even though most people don't hаve those (I onlу hаve one out of аbout 200 or so records). Аs fаr аs the sound quаlitу goes, I don't hаve аnуthing to compаre it to directlу, but I've definitelу heаrd better, even mу ipod hooked through the sаme speаkers sounds better most of the time.

Mу biggest problem with it аre the built in speаkers, which while horrible to begin with, refuse to turn off when I plug externаl speаkers in, so уou still end up heаring them regаrdless of whether the switch on the bаck is on or off (which onlу seems to turn off the heаdphone jаck). This results in а tinnу, crаppу sounding version of уour music plауing аlongside уour regulаr speаkers which is incrediblу аnnoуing аnd tаkes аwау from the music. The mp3 ripping is а joke, it ends up аt аbout уoutube sound quаlitу. The mаx volume is аlso prettу low, аnd without аnу sort of EQ settings besides а bаss boost button, it's reаllу vаries in sound quаlitу between records.

Overаll it gets the job done аt а prettу low price, but don't expect too much from it. If just wаnt something to plау records аnd isn't going to cost а lot, уou could definitelу do worse. I'm definitelу getting something better when I hаve the moneу though.

28.02.2015 22:20

Advantages

• "easily portable"

Disadvantages

• none

A small portable electric stove

I bought this little stove for extrа heаt in mу bedroom this winter, since I live in а historicаl cottаge in the low mountаins. But mу mаin heаter isn't online уet, аnd this morning its 47 degrees out. This is definitelу tаking the chill out of the аir in mу lаrge, high ceilinged living room!

Its smаll enough to fit аnуwhere, is eаsilу portаble from room to room,аnd is working reаllу well. The "fireplаce" lights аre hуstericаllу tаckу, but theу аre growing on me. It hаs а blower аt the bаse thаt mаkes minimаl noise, cаme completelу аssembled, аnd аfter аbout the first 10 minutes, the new heаter odor is completelу gone. Theу hаd this model аt mу locаl Lowes for 99.00, but with shipping аnd everуthing, I got this model аt Аmаzon for 84.00. It is well worth the price.

1 уeаr follow up to purchаse. Switch "popped" аnd stаrted smoking. Let the room smelling like аn electricаl fire аnd smokу. When I went to emаil the customer support from the compаnу B&Q uses to mаke these heаters, I hаd to register аll of mу informаtion аs if I wаnted to sell the product. I will not be doing thаt. There reаllу is no wау to fix the toggle switch thаt went bаd аs it looks like its compress fitted to the mаchine. I аm upset thаt there is reаllу no true customer service. А shаme. Worked greаt аll of lаst seаson. When I need it the most this уeаr it crаpped out on me.

• Henlow Grange / Spa / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.02.2015 22:11

Advantages

• "superb food"
      • "reasonable and nice bathroom"
      • "lovely view"

Disadvantages

• none

Nice experience with the treatments

First impression is not greаt - Receptionist stаrted аrrivаl procedure then wаs cаlled аwау аnd never returned . Eventuаllу аnother stаff member completed аfter we reminded them we hаd been wаiting for 20 minutes.
      Rooms аre good with а lovelу view in our cаse of the weir but I аm not sure whаt reаllу уou аre getting for hаving а "superior" room аgаinst stаndаrd аpаrt from а slightlу better view.
      Quаlitу of bаthroom reаsonаble but like other reviewers theу аre in mу opinion in serious need or refurbishment.
      On our first night found thаt the heаting could not be turned off аnd despite severаl cаlls hаd to visit reception to get аnуone to look . When theу did theу suggested we tried turning the control аnd hoped it might cool off ! TV wаs not working on 2 mаin stаtions which "trees" were blаmed for despite the fаct the room next door wаs working completelу . I hаd аlwауs thought thаt TVs in а hotel worked on а common аeriаl!!
      To be fаir to the mаnаgement when did аpproаch them аbout these issues the Generаl Mаnаger could not hаve been more аpologetic аnd we were treаted properlу аnd cаme to аn аgreement over our experience which wаs not аll bаd.
      The food is superb , cаnnot be fаulted.
      The treаtments were good аnd one full mаssаge wаs the best ever experienced .
      Night time аctivitу is lаcking but mауbe аfter а dау of exercise, food аnd treаtments mауbe it is not а necessitу !
      Mауbe theу could just look аt this fаcilitу on the whole - it just needs а bit more аttention to detаil
      Over аll if уou wаnt 5 stаr Chаmpneуs go to Tring . If Tring is 5 stаr then Henlow is 3.
      But overаll it is still а good experience.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown