30.08.2015 00:07

Advantages

• "Good quality "
      • "Simple clear watch face"
      • "Elegant design"

Disadvantages

• "Clasp comes undone easily"
      • ""

Good watch, shame the clasp isn't more secure

I bought this watch to replace an Accurist watch on which the bracelet had snapped. I wanted a simple but elegant watch which would compliment my other jewellery. The watch comes in an elegant, stylish box & would make a nice present.

The watch initially feels quite solid and well made. The strap is easily adjustable by using a screwdriver to leaver up the catch, which you can then slide along the bracelet to select the right length before flipping the catch back down again.

The watch face is nicely designed. The face has elegant crystal style stones set at five minute intervals, but the face does not have individual minutes marked. This keeps the face from appearing cluttered which is nice. I would have liked the watch to have a second hand, but this is a personal preference and I did know it didn't have one before buying so that isn't a complaint.

So far I have worn the watch every day for five months and it is still looking good with very few scratches. My only complaint is that the watch strap clasp can come undone accidentally, even though it has a double catch mechanism. It has happened a few times now where I suddenly realise my watch isn't on my wrist any more, so far each time it hasn't been far away, but one of these days I'm sure it will fall off & I won't notice it until it is too late. For this reason I only give it 3 out of 5 as I'm so worried about losing it.

• Sennheiser PX100-II / Headphones / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 23:42

Advantages

• "Good sound quality "
      • Compact

Disadvantages

• "Can be difficult to fold away"

Great value headphones offering high quality soun

These headphones are one of the cheapest Sennheiser headphones available. However, they offer great quality headphones at an affordable price. If you can't or don't want to use inner ear headphones then these are the best alternative as they are very compact. The headphones are very lightweight and comfortable to wear for long periods.

They come in a sturdy rigid plastic carry case which protects the headphones really well when they are being carried in a bag or rucksack. The headphones can be a bit fiddly to fold up though, especially if you are in a hurry. You have to make sure you fold the arms in the correct orde & overlap them correctly, otherwise they won't fit in the case. The case is well designed though not to put a strain on the cables, particularly where the jack plug connects, which I have seen is a weakness with other folding headphones, resulting in the wiring breaking.

The sound quality from the headphones is really good considering the price. They can be a bit leaky though for others around you, for example when I use them to watch TV on my computer my partner can hear every word of what I am listening to.

The headphones are very sturdy and robust, they are definitely built to last. They also look a lot more expensive than they are. Overall, these headphones offer the sound quality that Sennheiser are famous for, at a very affordable price. I would recommend purchasing these headphones.

29.08.2015 23:37

Advantages

• "Gentley removes all make up"

Disadvantages

• NOn

Gentle make up remover

I like Clarins products and have always found them to be good quality and kind to my skin. I find that a proper make up remover like this one removes my make up quickly and easily. This 100ml bottle of Gentle make up remover lotion currently costs £14.50 but you can get it cheaper online.

It has a dual action formula whilst still being gentle and it conditions your skin as well as cleansing. The bottle is clear plastic so you can clearly see how much liquid is left and it displays the usual ingredients, contact details and instructions for use.

To use I will tip the bottle onto a cleansing pad or ball of cotton wool and then wipe it gently over my eye area. I find that I don't have to apply much pressure as the liquid seems to do the work removing my make up including liquid eye liner and waterproof mascara. I find that I only have to use a small amount and it seems to spread out so it really is good value and also it doesn't leave any smudges or little bits of mascara like some others I have used. It does have an oily feel when you apply it and I find that I need to wipe it off completely otherwise it can leave an oily film on my skin but you only need to wipe the area with a clean part of the pad or cotton wool and it comes off easily. It is fragrance free and is suitable for sensitive skin and I have always found it to be very gentle leaving my skin feeling soft and smooth.

I do really like this eye make up remover and will always buy one when I have a voucher even if I have one on the go as it lasts a long time and it does a very good job of removing my make up leaving my skin feeling clean and fresh. When I use this product I never find any traces of make up on my pillow in the morning or underneath my eyes, so this is definitely recommended by me and well deserves five stars.

29.08.2015 23:33

Advantages

• "Softens and moisurises"
      • "Absorbs easily"

Disadvantages

Intensive care for your body

I bought this Vaseline Intensive Care body lotion from Tesco and paid £2.50 It is a 250ml bottle which is in a white plastic bottle and it has a flip top. It smells lovely and light and also fresh and clean. The cream is white and it feels quite light but it has a richness which you can feel when you rub it into your hands and body, however it doesn't feel greasy or sticky at all.

To use the lotion I will press the pump until I get a blob around the size of a ten pence piece and I will usually start with my legs and feet and then move up to my arms and shoulders. I will repeat this once or twice more until I am happy that I have covered all the areas which need moisturising. Obviously as I am using my hands to apply the lotion they get the most coverage and I will just make sure that I rub some of the lotion onto the backs of my hands.

The lotion seems to absorbs quickly without too much rubbing and my skin feels very soft and hydrated immediately. I have never had any greasy feeling left on my hands or felt that I can't touch anything afterwards without leaving behind any remnants of cream and in the colder weather when I am wearing gloves I find I can put them on straight away.

This lotion is ideal to use daily to protect and moisturise your skin and I can definitely say that my skin feels very soft straight away and this feeling remains for a long time after using it. I have been using this lotion now for several months and still have around half of the bottle left so it is good value. This is a lovely everyday lotion and I do recommend it to others.

29.08.2015 23:26

Advantages

• "No creasing"
      • "Long lasting"

Perfect eye shadow

I like to wear eye shadow when I go out for a special occasion and I like to match it to what I am wearing wherever possible. I like Boots make up and have been buying it for many years now and have always found it to be good quality and not too expensive. I bought this Stay Perfect eye shadow in a pale shade of blue which is a colour which I like for everyday wear.

I paid just £1.99 for this duo eye shadow which isn't expensive There were quite a few different ones to choose from with so many different colours that you would be hard pressed to not find a colour which you liked and at that price you could afford to buy several colours.

It comes in a small round plastic tub and it has a clear screw top so you can see exactly how much is left in the tub and it is also easy to pick the colour you want if you have more than one. There is an applicator included in the tub which is curved and which makes it easy to apply as it seems to be at the correct angle when you are holding it. It has a white sponge at the end of the applicator which helps to smooth the eye shadow on your eye lids.

It is easy to apply and has good staying power and I would definitely buy another one in this range. It does not crease or smudge and I think it is very good value.

• ancestry.co.uk / Internet Site / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 21:53

Advantages

• "Ever Growing"

Disadvantages

• "Not Glitch Free"

Useful but not perfect

I have a longstanding love of history and that inevitably lead me into wondering what my own ancestors might have been doing and seeing in any given time period. I started a few years ago and because I had no spare funds I only used free sites in order to do this. Frequent advertising of Ancestry on TV made me think I was perhaps missing out on some good resources there so took the opportunity of signing up for one of the free weekends they have been doing for a while which let you look at all UK records for free. This is different from a free trial when you have to give them credit card details, you only need to have an Email. If I found it useful I was hoping to ask relatives to get me a subscription for my next birthday.

Ancestry offers Census, birth marriage amd death registration details that could help you order a certificate, parish records, some Will transcripts, apprenticeship records, etc. Some more unusual records only are available for a small area. I could see school log book entries for ancestors in one part of Surrey when I looked but not for anyone living anywhere else. My long experience in doing research also tells me that they are charging for much information that is actually available for free, which may disappoint some but there is a convenience in having one site to concentrate all your searches on for a while.
      The search form contained some glitches when I used it. It has a long drop down list of places that does not recognise some towns my ancestors lived in as existing. The restrict to this place only did not ever work showing irrelevant results. The option to have similar sounding last names show up in results is of limited use for ancestors born before 1600 because many letters had different sounds than today but Ancestry obviously doesn't know this, basing results only on modern sounds.

The transcription of some records for my own ancestors was poor. Old handwriting isn't easy but a I was surprised at some mistakes.
      I found some unique pieces of information on this site but as I have done so much myself it would not be worth a subscription for me. If you are a beginner I would say see what you can do for free first and don't presume Ancestry is the sole or best source of info for any area. If you can afford it though there is lots to enjoy.

29.08.2015 21:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Delicious healthy granola

This is a really good granola. Which in my opinion means it's not overly sweet like the Jordans country crisp style cereals, it doesn't contain raisins or other dried fruit, and it's very crunchy.

I like dried fruit but I'd rather buy a plain granola and add fresh banana and berries.

The oats and grains aren't bunched toget her in large clumps like some granola, they are quite small and you can see the individual oats.

The bags of Lizi's granola have a nice packaging with a good quality feel to them. You would expect no less considering this is an expensive product. Lizi's granola are priced at £3.69 in Tesco for a 500 gram bag, so are an ocasional treat for me, although I would love to buy these every week and eat them most mornings. In fact, I really like granola as a snack before bed.

Lizi's granolas come in a range of flavours, I have bought the begin chocolate one before, which was just delicious and seemed really decadent. I was impressed that their whole range is suitable for vegans.

When reading the ingredients of this range of granola it's clear they are intended to be a cereal with good health in mind. As well as oats they contain a variety of nuts and seeds, including linseed,pumpkin seed, cashew,hazelnut, and walnut. They also contain vanilla for extra deliciousness.

Granola doesn't have to be just eaten with milk poured on, Lizi's has a serving suggestion of added to ice cream. Sounds good to me.

29.08.2015 19:59

Advantages

• "Multiplayer is good"
      • "Good Storyline"

Disadvantages

• "No difficulty settings"

The whole Assassins Creed franchise is very good and Black Flag is no exception with it being the 4th addition to the mainstream Assassins Creed series. The gameplay is quite good with good graphics although the characters could be more realistic. Assassins Creed offers free movement which is a very good asset although this feature can have its limitations as the game may interpret one button as another (which once in a while can be fustrating). Although it is a very good game with a good storyline and a good online multiplayer feature. There is no local miultiplayer feature although that is not really a big problem. Black Flag is based around the pirate era so the story is based on a pirate who pretends to be an assassin. He then persues both lives although his mind is focused on money and his wife who is waiting at home. There are many things that you are able to do in the game, like sailing a boat manually, fighting with boat (using the canons) and yh... The open world is extremely elaborate and "pretty", the graphic quality is suberb and this makes it an illusive experience. In conclusion, this is one of my favourite AC games to play, the quality and effort put into the making of the game is of high standard. However, the imagination and creativity of the story could be further extended. Would definitely reccomend to any xbox one fanatic. I would recomend this game to other people.

• Sony Xperia Z3 / Smartphone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 19:37

Advantages

• "Good camera quality"
      • " clear display"
      • Bright
      • "Good battery life"
      • Speedy
      • "Good looking"

Disadvantages

• "Price is high right now"
      • "Can lose battery life with certain apps being installed "
      • "Can slow down with use / apps"

A good phone, but not without imperfections

As a long term customer with my current phone company, I was lucky enough to get this phone at a discounted price near the time it was released. It was a big leap from my old, battered and second-hand Z1 so from the very beginning I was pleased with it.

Firstly, it's a sleek, light phone, with smoothed corners which are reinforced in case of accidents. The back is almost mirrored with how shiny it is, and the screen is huge - but not too huge. With brightness on full, the display is absolutely amazing - it's crisp, clear, and bright, with vivid colours. It's sealed very well, meaning there's no leaking of light behind or on the sides of the screen.

It's a very quick phone, especially to begin with, though I've noticed it can slow down noticeably if you keep your phone packed with apps, photos, videos etc. so it's best to regularly clean out your files and apps. This also benefits the battery life as I've noticed some apps can mess around with battery life pretty badly. If you do this, and don't keep a lot of apps open however, the battery life is amazing - especially with the help of the STAMINA tools you can find in the settings.

The camera is also obviously worth mentioning. At 20.7 MP it's an amazing feat for a phone, but I've experienced slowing in time it takes to snap a picture as well as struggling to focus as I've used it more.

Regardless of its imperfections, the Xperia Z3 is a brilliant phone, with a strong camera, long battery life, and aesthetic design.

• Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips / Lip Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 19:14

Advantages

• "Great for daily use or deep moisturizing "
      • "Smells lovely"
      • Soothing
      • "Makes lips look healthy and soft"
      • "Beautiful slight tint"

Disadvantages

• "Packaging may not be ideal for some"

The best Vaseline lip product yet, with a beautiful scent and tint

As an avid lover of all things lipcare, over the years I've acquired all Vaseline lip products, from Original to Aloe Vera to this, and yet - this is my favourite.

Vaseline's Rosy Lips Lip Therapy is packaged in a small pink and white circular tin, similar to other Vaseline products, with the product name and brand on the front, and ingredients on the back. Personally, I don't like tubs of lip balm as I find them to be awkward to use (mostly because they're deep set tubs and I find rooting about in a tub to be a bit unhygienic and messy) but I compromise with Vaseline since it's a wider, shallow set tub.

The product inside is a pretty shade of reddy-pink, which smells really lovely while not being particularly overpowering in scent. This is quite a contrast to the more medicinal or petroleum smell of the blue, original Vaseline, while not being as powerful in scent as the cocoa butter Vaseline.

The tint of this lip balm is one of my favourite features, as I really love tinting lip balms, but often find them too be too red (e.g. Nivea's 'A Kiss of Cherry') or too faint to be noticeable. This tint, however, is the perfect space in between. It's a pretty shade of subtle pink, which enhances the natural colour of your lips rather than painting over them completely.

There's no real taste to this lip balm, as far as I've noticed.

Finally, the product works beautifully. I myself am a committer of the most heinous of crimes - I'm a lip chewer, so my lips don't have the easiest life. This product soothes and repairs them, while keeping them looking beautiful in the meantime! It's also great for everyday use, even if you don't experience chapped or chewed lips, since it's not too heavy or greasy.

29.08.2015 18:42

Advantages

• "Good for everyday moisturizing "
      • SPF15
      • "Does the job"

Disadvantages

• "Not so good for poorly cared for lips"

Great for gentle moisturizing, less so for bitten / badly chapped lips

In the depths of every single one of my handbags, backpacks, messenger bags, and purses, is a lip balm. I am a lip balm-aholic, and I never leave the house without one - or two! - with me. Every time I pop into a drugstore or a supermarket I end up leaving with another lip balm.

Similarly, I love Nivea products. I have a toner and moisturizer from them, as well as several of their other lip balms (surprise, surprise) - so it was inevitable I would acquire this lip balm eventually.

As someone with pale, almost translucent skin that always burns and never tans (curse you, genetics!) the SPF15 immediately appealed to me. I used this lip balm throughout the very sparse amount of sunny summer days England had this year, and while my nose, forehead and shoulders were victims to the burn, my lips remained free from it.

The smell of the product is difficult to describe. It has a mostly medicinal scent, so somewhat chemically, but there's a certain honey-like scent beneath it, which links into the taste as it is reminiscent of honey or vanilla.

The application is nice. It's not too thick, though it feels a bit thicker than some other lip balms, especially if you're used to the likes of Vaseline balms or Body Shop lip roll ons, which are far thinner. It's perfect to apply - lightly or heavily - but there is a catch. As aforementioned by other reviewers, if you have a habit of biting or chewing your lips, or experience some serious chapping or peeling, you might experience a touch of white sticking to your problem areas. If this is the case, I advise not using this balm until you've healed your lips, or exfoliated them.

However, if this isn't the case, it's a brilliant product that keeps your lips nicely moisturized and protected, especially in the summer.

29.08.2015 18:25

Advantages

• "Widely Available"
      • "Low Cost"

Disadvantages

• "Not Eco Friendly"
      • Painful

Cheap but not for the faint hearted

I have to admit that I bought these based upon the fact that I am a fan of Bic biros for doing note taking. I thought that if the company makes good pens it probably makes good razors too. Not very logical you might say and you would be right! I was very disappointed with my pack of 5 which I purchased for a pound.

The pack was easy to open and the blade protection cap came off easily from the first razor I decided to use. At that point it was so far so good for me in my experience of the razors. In actual use though OUCH. I am a slow and cautious shaver but even so I cut myself multiple times trying to do my legs. I tried these razors on skin with minor hair growth. I thought then that perhaps that they would work better on longer hair so I used one on my underarm after a period of what I will confess to be neglect on the shaving front. I still managed to nick myself because I needed to put quite a lot of pressure on the blade in order to really get rid of the last few bits of stubble "shadow". The razor I used for my two arms still had some cutting ability left on my finer leg hair but not much so this is not a very long lasting product. This brings me to say that of course these plastic razors are not a very environmentally friendly choice. I will be going back to my electric shaver which I was getting tired of having to replace the battery of. Disposable ones like the Bic ones would let me travel lighter though.

29.08.2015 18:19

Advantages

• "Moisturizing qualities"
      • "Good for using after shaving"
      • "Not overpowering "
      • "Reliable for keeping you smelling good"
      • "Unique and gorgeous smell"

Disadvantages

• "Can turn white if you spray too much or too close"

I've tried a lot in the past, but I always come back to Dove deodorant

First of all, this product is beautifully packaged. Though I buy the compressed tin since its the same amount in a smaller bottle, both are designed the same - the majority of the tin is white, with the Dove logo in dark blue, matching the squishy top you press beneath the lid.

The smell is divine, too, and perfect for anyone who - like me - hates fruity or flowery deodorants. It's difficult to describe the smell of this product; it's fresh, thats for sure, and almost reminds me of the smell of talc. It isn't overpowering, and doesn't change scent if it's put to the test, much unlike fruity or flowery deodorants which often become stuffy smelling when put to the test.

The product itself sticks up very well, even under pressure. I use the product throughout the whole year; from the iciness of winter, to the sweatiness of summer, this product never fails me! Though in summer I touch it up during the day for extra security, I am confident in saying it isn't 100% necessary as it holds up well.

One potential downside, however, is that I've noticed if you hold it too close or spray for too long, it can form a talc-y looking layer of flaky white, which is definitely not what you want! Under this too, I assume if you continue on with that layer of flaky white, you'll end up staining your clothing. But, it's easy to avoid this mistake by holding it a good distance away from your underarms and using a small amount at a time until you're happy with the amount.

Finally, the moisturizing qualities of this spray (with it being a quarter moisturizing cream and miracle-working Vitamin E) are definitely a notable feature, as for as long as I use this, I never experience drying, rashes, or itchiness of the skin on my underarms. It's even good to use after shaving, not causing any stinging or hurting like other more harsh deodorants - you are just left with silky smooth underarms and smelling divine!

• Tetley Green Tea with Lemon / Tea / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.08.2015 18:13

Advantages

• "Mild green tea "
      • "Good lemon flavour"
      • Refreshing

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

A refreshing and light flavoured green tea

I reluctantly tried a cup of green tea flavoured with lemon made by my mum, and surprised myself by actually enjoying it. She uses a fresh lemon to flavour her tea, and while I will do the same when I can, I don't always have some to hand. So when I saw Tetley offered some green tea bags ready flavoured with lemon, I thought they would be worth trying. I paid 1.75 in a local Londis for a box of 50 bags, 100g in total, and they cost about the same in Tesco.

Tetley promises they use the finest green tea with a selection taste tested 8 times before it gets the nod of approval. I have since tried green teas from PG Tips, Twinings and Waitrose own brand and all of them make similar claims about how special their blends are. To me they all taste much the same, so I would happily go for whatever one was on offer but as that is often Tetley, that is my usual brand of choice. Tetley are a member of the Ethical Tea partnership which is meant to improve the lives of tea workers and their environment which is good to know.

The brewing instructions suggest using almost boiled water and brewing the tea for 1-2 minutes before adding sugar or honey to taste if you like a sweeter flavour. I usually find that what puts me off flavoured and herbal teas is too weak a flavour so I tend to want to leave them brewing for the maximum suggested time, if not longer but I don't think that works so well with green tea. It can develop a bitterness after a while. Thankfully I think a couple of minutes is long enough for the flavour to develop this time. The box promises all natural ingredients and therefore flavourings, and I do think this has a great "proper lemon" taste as a result. It smells more zesty than it tastes, but I don't want to taste only lemon as I may as well have squash and not green tea! I think the tea and lemon combine beautifully, and together make a refreshing combination. Somehow this is much more thirst quenching drink for me than black tea and I find I can also drink more of it.

The best thing for me is whereas I can't bear "normal" tea without sugar or a substitute in, I never feel I need to sweeten this green tea.

I would recommend this as it is good value and pleasant tasting.

• Cadbury Fudge / Chocolate / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.08.2015 17:57

Advantages

• "Handbag Sized"
      • "Low Cost"

Disadvantages

• Addictive!
      • "High Sugar"

Delicious and versatile fudge bar.

I am not the world's biggest fudge fan so tried this only at the suggestion of a friend. I'm glad I did. This choc covered little fudge product is delicious, not overpoweringly sweet like most fudge I try but still sweet enough to be very pleasing.

The bar is only palmsize, very light weight but so full of flavour that it feels satisfying anyway.I have quite a small handbag and found I can easily sneak a Fudge bar in for easy on the go snacking but that's probably not good for my teeth. Unless you've made fudge yourself or take the trouble to read the product label you may not realise how much sugar there is in fudge. This little bar had as much as some other bars twice it's size. You can't make low sugar fudge so it is not a criticism to say about the sugar just an observation. The fact that the fudge sticks a bit to the teeth increases my caution a bit.

Apart from snacking I have found this product can be melted gently in a Bain Marie (heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water)with a little milk to make a fudge dessert sauce. One bar would make a one person serving. The product also freezes OK as I broke some up and froze some into some vanilla icecream. It has a nice smooth texture as bought and when used as an ingredient in recipes. So at 30p each in my local newsagent this bar is a real bargain. I should add that it's bright orange packaging is easy to open and get the bar out.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown