• Uk Ipod Repairs / Other Service / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 18:48

Advantages

• "Great communication"
      • "Fast service"

Disadvantages

Dont despair use ipodrepair - Amazing service.

My Nano had an encounter with the washing machine. I thought it was gone forever but these guys not only repaired it in 24 hours, but left a little repair song on it for me.
      Fantastic service - would throughly recommend them.

• Gaggia Espresso Pure / Espresso Machine / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 18:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

A great investment x

On first appearance this does not look like it is durbale because t has a plastic feel and look, its very light in weight and basic.
      But this is better than you might thing.

This will make a smashing espresso/ cappuccino or latte even a hot chocolate.

This is a basic machine that delivers a straightforward cup of coffee and it is perfect for anyone branching out into the espresso machine world.

It is great to hold enough water in the tank to make more than maybe 15 espressos and it is safe enough to leave on and have ready set up for when you want to make a cup of coffee or even in an office.
      We used coffee that was ground just for the espresso machine as we found that the marketed coffees that claim it is all-purpose ground tends to block the machine or lets the water run through too much and if you go to the effect to buy and splash out on a machine it is worth the extra to get the right coffee.
      Again, fresh milk is always best to get that amazing foam for your cappuccino.We normally keep our daily milk separate from the milk from the machine by buying single milk cartons and open only when we need it to preserve the flavour.

This product, when bought comes with the following items
      GAGGIA MACHINE
      FILTER
      TAMPER
      MEASURING SPOON
      2 X YEAR WARRANTY

Yes, my friends you can make a single or double espresso or even use PODS/ coffee teabags which give's you an amazing choice.
      I can't understand why you would pay more for this when it does the same as the GAGGIA espresso machine in red, but it's worth shopping around and checking out the promotions. The one we brought was £174
      This is definitely worth the investment as it lasted us three years and was still going strong when we changed our design for a new model. Using Milton's steriliser is better than the Gaggia brand, with machine maintenance this is good long term for your money.

• Nokia Lumia 520 / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.01.2015 18:43

Advantages

• "Easy to have unlocked"
      • "High Build Quality"
      • "Good Value for Money"

Disadvantages

• "More apps available on Android"
      • "Battery can run down quickly"

Good value, good phone

Having had a disappointing first smartphone (a Samsung Galaxy Y, in case you're wondering), I wanted a phone that actually worked but, being a phone non-enthusiast, didn't want to spend too much. The £100 less a penny price point of the Nokia 520 clinched the deal and I felt I was getting a something better than the cheaper Android smartphones on the market (this one use Windows).
      Web browsing is generally pretty fast, certainly far better than my previous (not so) smart phone, while e-mails appear quickly and efficiently, plus call connection and quality is good, if not quite up to the standard of basic non-smart mobiles only designed to make and receive calls.
      The 5 mega-pixel camera can produces photos good enough for family "albums" and work e-mail attachments, and has exposure adjustments too, with the back-light control being particularly useful to avoid taking shadowy shapes of people and places! The only, and it seems common, problem with the camera is that the shutter button on the body stopped making connection, and having failed to find a solution to this on the internet, my 10-year old daughter suggested just tapping the screen to take the photo - and that works!
      Finally, having bought the phone with a Virgin PAYG deal which gives either lots of talk minutes and texts and expensive internet or lots of internet and expensive internet, Nokias are easy to unlock - often just a code is needed - I got a SIM-only deal which offers far better value with another network.

• Royal Bank of Scotland / Bank / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 18:22

Advantages

• "Friendly staff"
      • "A lot of branches"

Disadvantages

• "Unexciting product range"
      • "Not as many branches as there used to be"

Good, but not Great

I've been banking with RBS for my current account since 2000. The extensive branch network has been useful meaning I have always been able to find a branch near where to I have lived and worked. Having said that, the branch network has been progressively reduced since the 2008 financial crisis, which has meant a longer walk sometimes to pay in cheques or cash. Branch staff, without exception, have been friendly, helpful and efficient - I can't fault them and just feel sorry that they have been victims of incompetent management.
      Where RBS has been disappointing is that in over 14 years with them, the current account has been the only product I have held with them. I have found their savings products to be disappointing and got a very expensive life insurance quotation from them recently! I do not recall ever seeing an RBS product at or near the top of any best-buy tables.
      My wife has a packaged account with RBS and the value offered by this is marginal, the travel insurance, breakdown cover and other bits and pieces can all be bought for less with a bit of shopping around.
      I think RBS are beginning to see the light, though, and are to offer existing customers the same savings rates as new customers, plus a few other initiatives such as free (though limited level) overdrafts.
      The questions to answer if you're thinking about an RBS account is firstly, do you want to do your banking via a real person, rather than over the internet, and if so, do RBS have a branch near you?

• Gaggia Espresso Red / Espresso Machine / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.01.2015 18:16

Advantages

Disadvantages

Fantastic machine

Liven up your kitchen with this version of Gaggia's espresso machine in a deep shade of red which looks classy and stands out as a fine piece of kitchen equipment.

This is ideal because these machines not only do ground coffee but coffee PODS/ Teabags whatever you would like to call them. There are a choice of three baskets for you to change in order to suit the ground.

This is very easy to set up. All you need to do is fill the water tank and this last all da. Of course, it is more ideal to draw fresh water. I fill up the whole tank of water because it doesn't last long and can make up to 15 espresso's. With this, you can make a single espresso or a double if making for a friend or you need that extra shot!.
      If you are wanting to measure the perfect amount of espresso out and not an ounce more this will not add a single extra drop because of the anti-drip system installed.
      The steam arm produces exactly that steam but a tip to remember is to release the steam in an empty stainless steel jug first because 2-3 teaspoons of cold water or sometimes hot is released as is the slight build up of pressure produces and you don't want that to water down your coffee after all this effect!
      This delivers the best part extremely well by producing a golden, delicious and thick cream that seals your coffee and heat in nicely until your ready to drink.

What is brilliant about Gaggia is they give you the whole experience by thinking of what you need before you do!
      In the box you get
      FILTER
      TAMPER
      MEASURING SPOON
      2 x year warranty

Altohugh you can buy coffee market with 'this is ground for any machine' but it really is best to go for espresso ground coffee or if purchasing frehsly ground coffee from bean that let them know it s a machine not a pot as there is a slight difference, machine is more coarse and you don't want those pesky grinds coming through.
      If you decided to buy flavoured coffee grinds it is vital this is clean well possibly with Milton's steriliser because the grease from the oil of the favour tends to remain for the next coffee we unfortunately found out.

Also, another great feature is the silver tray at the top is self-warming so you can warm your mugs or espresso glasses up being adding coffee, what a splendid idea!
      We found to separate the milk we use daily from the coffee milk to buy individual single pints and not open until we needed it to keep the milk as fresh as possible which really helps gives you an amazing froth for your cappuccino or hot choc! Yes my friends, add powder to the jug [prefeably stainless steel.] foam and steams the milk and would you believe it! Hot chocolate, gorgeous.

This is currently £100 through Amazon and to get all that and a 2-year warranty is brilliant and the Gaggia website is pretty handy with great tips and advice for beginners or advanced coffee baristas.

The paintwork is more durable than we expected as well, no scratches, or peeling in the overall appearance. Over two years it clean well and looked as good as when we first brought it but you need to maintain this and I would also recommend not using the Gaggia descaler as it doesn't seem as efficient as Milton's . x Enjoy x

26.01.2015 17:15

Advantages

• "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

• "Keeps jamming"

Waste of money, keeps jamming, can only shred 2-3 pieces of paper at a time!

I bought this shredder when i started to work more from home and wanted a way of disposing of confidential waste. I was also concerned about throwing away my letters and banking statements etc. The news has shown several stories recently about identify theft and fraud etc relating to people rummaging through your bins for information to use. So this product has sadly become more of a necessity for many people. I wasn't willing to spend loads of money and so I bouth this one which was reasonably priced at around £30. The shredder came in a box which included the shredder and a power lead. The box also contained a set of instructions which were clearly written and easy to follow. It took no more than 10 minutes to unpack and set up.

The shredder looks nice and is not too large or cumbersome. The problem with the shredder is that although it claims that it will shred several pieces of paper at any one time this is sadly not the reality. I found that in reality I couldn't shred more than 2-3 pieces of paper at any one time. As you can imagine this is very time consuming and frustrating. On several occasions the shredder jammed and I had to try to get the chewed paper back out which was really time consuming and irritating.

I eventually decided to use my log burner to dispose of unwanted confidential information, this is a lot more useful. I wouldn't recommend this shredder.

26.01.2015 17:00

Advantages

• "Great online service"
      • "Great customer services"

Disadvantages

Great Customer services and online service.

When I graduated from university I decided to get a credit card. The first credit card I got was an MBNA credit card. That was 5 years ago now and I still have the card in my wallet and use it regularly. The best thing I like about MBNA is there customer services. It is easy to get through to them on the telephone and and they are really helpful. They always allow me to increase my credit limit when I ask and are always sending out good 0% offers to me. I find them very easy to deal with, not like some companies.

They have a really got online service and there website is really nicely laid out, clear and easy to use. You can clearly see your balance, your recent transactions and can do virtually everything online. If you forget your card pin you can look it up online, you can transfer balances and make payments with ease on the website. It allows you to print your statements, request an adjustment to your credit limit all on the website. I have to say that I am really impressed by this company.

I have had problems with some credit cards getting accepted at shops etc. Nothing upsets me more than being at the front of a huge queue at Sainsburys and then your card doesn't work and you have the embarressment of fumbling through your wallet for another one. I can honestly say that this has never happened with my MBNA card.

Great service. I fully recommend.

26.01.2015 16:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Almost as good as their bars of chocolate!

I jumped at the chance to drink a bar of green and blacks! think I was the last to know that they made hot chocolate using their famous blends and flaovured bars.
      I'm not sure about the Cadbury's versions of their hot chocolate bars so I didn't have any high expectation but was amazed at how lovely and smooth this was.

I seemed to always pick the hot chocolate that either taste, bitter or still powdery, but this was smooth and rich but not rich in a bitter way at all.

Depending on how strong you like your hot chocolate I unusually added an extra teaspoon, I know call me crazy, but this was able to take an extra teaspoon and taste really good.

By just adding warm milk you can stir this and create a lovely hot chocolate at home or by using a Chocolatiere that can mix and froth the hot chocolate to create a frothy hot chocolate.

They blend their 'Dark chocolate bar', raw cane sugar and cocoa powder to get the intensity with this. This is stronger than the average hot chocolate but it is really smooth and it was a joy to drink without the bitter or powdery taste at the back of your throat. There is also no need to add sugar as it may make this too sweet.

For 300g, I paid £3 on special offer at Waitrose at the time and I would say I made over 15 cups of hot chocolate which I think is very reasonable. x

26.01.2015 16:45

Advantages

• Reliable
      • "Great range"

Disadvantages

Expensive, but fantastic lens for wildlife photography.

I bought this lens for my Nikon 5300 camera. I am not a serious photographer but It is a really keen interest of mine and I had recently invested in a new Nikon 5300 DSLR camera and I had enrolled on a photography class in evening school. I wasn't really into photography at all until a camera was repeatedly thrust into my had following the birth of my first child. Then I got the bug. Started taking photos of buildings, my village, all sorts etc. I had booked my family onto a trip to Kenya to go on Safari. I wanted a new camera lens that would be able to take really good quality distance shots. I had recently been to Longleat Safari Park, near Bath and the photos that I had taken from distance with my existing lens were not too impressive.

So I invested in the Nikon 70-200 lens. It was quite an expense, especially as I do not make a living from photography. But my holiday was a once in a lifetime trip and I really wanted the best snaps possible. This lens comes highly recommended for wildlife photography and is used by a lot or professional photographers.

It has a wide aperture which lets in a lot of light and its focus is great and allows you to easily locate your target object. The lens has a great auto focus or if you want it lets you set your focus to a pre-set distance.

Great lense. Worth the money.

26.01.2015 16:23

Advantages

• "Sound quality is amazing"
      • "They look very stylish"

Disadvantages

Star studded earphones, literally!

I bought these earphones as part of a Black Friday online deal. I paid £59.99 for them, reduced from £79.99. Postage was free. They arrived two days later complete with a storage pouch and several pairs of different sized earphone buds ranging from very small to rather large, depending on what is comfortable for you. There was also a leaflet explaining the product and its features. They were designed by Lady Gaga, inspired by her leather jacket studs. The studs are featured on the tips of the earphones, along with a larger stud on each earphone bud. The studs are well stuck on so I doubt very much that I would lose one of them, hopefully not!

What do they sound like and are they comfortable to wear?

They're very comfortable to wear. I kept the original sized earphone buds as they were a perfect fit for me. The cord is tangle free, yes, tangle free! It is described as a patent-pending flat-cord cable design that is ultra-flexible, although it still looks and feels like any other ordinary cord. The sound quality is superior compared to the usual brands of earphone like JVC, Samsung etc. I get a really deep bass sound with these earphones which is great as I like dance/ trance music anyway. These just make it sound even better. The likes of Darude, Robert Miles and Sash! all sound top notch with these babies. The clarity, the sharpness and the crystal clear quality beats ALL other brands of earphones, HANDS DOWN.

The "Monster Performance" ear tips, as they are known, keep out external noise so you are concentrating solely on the music itself. I've used these on the bus, on the train and on the tube and I am pleased to say that I can hear NO external noise. These are great for sound isolation purposes. I even used these as ear plugs in a hotel room once when my beloved mother kept me awake with her snoring. I plugged my ears with these and soon fell asleep - perfect!

There is a built in mic which enables you to talk hands free on your iPhone or smartphone. I haven't used this feature myself so I cannot comment on that but judging by their sound performance I am confident that this feature will too be indeed great.

There is no distortion or "tinny" sound, as I like to call it. With these you just get a quality sound. I really do like the look of them too. These look completely different compared to usual earphones and I think they would appeal to both men and women.

Overall I love these earphones. They look great, they sound amazing and they're just really cool.

Five stars from me!

Well done Gaga, you've succeeded again. Just don't wear a dress "made" of meat or anything crazy like that. Hang on...

26.01.2015 16:21

Advantages

• "Helps calm sensitivity "

Disadvantages

• "Can be expensive"

Lovely Flavour & It Reduces Sensitivity!

I started using this toothpaste last month after suffering from some sensitivity in my teeth when eating or drinking cold items. The toothpaste costs me £2.99 at a local bargain retailer which is slightly more than I'm used to paying but I'm happy to pay more for the benefits.

You get 75 mls of paste in a soft, squeezy tube. This comes boxed with lots of helpful information printed on the outer packaging. Basically the past can help protect teeth from the effects of acid erosion. This is when teeth enamel is worn down by the acids in our daily diets. The brand state this toothpaste contains minerals which "penetrate deep into the enamel surface", re-hardening any weak areas of enamel.

The paste has a really lovely mild flavour which is unusual. It has a mild minty taste but also an aftertaste of sweet vanilla and almonds. It also has a slight aniseed flavour to it which may be something not everyone will like.

The paste is quite runny and it doesn't work up into a lot of bubbles when you brush. It stays quite liquid-like but I am still able to brush my teeth well. It definitely gives a great clean and it also freshens my mouth. I would say you need to use more of this paste than the average toothpaste to get a good clean though.

This paste is basically a miracle product for me as it has really helped with my sensitive teeth. I was a little skeptical before buying this but it genuinely does reduce sensitivity caused by temperature changes on the tooth surface for me. I also feel very confident that my teeth are looking and feeling really good since starting to use this paste. I therefore plan on continuing to purchase this in this future. I would reocmmend the product to those who need a paste for sensitive teeth or to those who are looking for a slightly different kind of paste than they usually buy.

26.01.2015 16:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good lens for sports photographers

It certainly takes time to find the perfect lense for the activities in which you want to use it for and of course, you have to make sure that it is compatible for your current camera.

This is one of the fastest focal length zoom lenses that is on today's market, so is great for action shots, however, of course, it only fits and thus works on a Canon DSLR camera. The equivalent focal length on this camera if between 27 and 88mm, so can capture a wide image. It is easy to use, so allows even the least competent of camera users to have a go with it.

Despite this, it is reasonably heavy. I placed mine on the scales out of curiosity and it came in at 651g and is also 14.5cm in length when it is zoomed out to its maximum capacity. This makes it feel sturdy and solid in your hands, although I would still not try to drop it on the floor...I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stand this!

This lens has an instant autofocus and the sharpness produced is almost perfection and is stable even without a tripod, so makes takes photos so much easier. The focusing on this lens is great for sports photographers as it captures the game perfectly and the speed is almost instantaneous, making this even better for sports photographers.

There is little sound when taking the photo, which could be considered both bath and good, dependent on how you like your camera to work.

26.01.2015 16:02

Advantages

• "So easy to put car seat in car"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Not for extended rear facing"

The simple way to pop your baby's car seat in and out!

Baby car seats are a minefield, and not only do you need to chose a car seat, you also need to choose how you're going to attach it to the seats in your car. Of course, you can fit in in with the seatbelts as everyone has always done. However, it has been found that many people don't strap their car seats in properly, thus leaving their baby at risk. My baby is nearly 8 months old and has been using a Maxi Cosi Cabriofix since birth, and hopefully will be in their until the age of 1. I do find it quite easy to put it in using seatbelts when out in other people's cars. However, we got the Maxi-Cosi Family Fix base to go in our car, just to make it so much easier to get him in and out.

These do retail for around £150, so it is expensive. However, we did get ours second hand for about £70. We chose this one as it also works with the next stage car seat (the Maxi Cosi Pearl) - however, it does NOT work for extended rear facing. In 2018 I believe it will be the law for babies to rear face until the age of 15 months. Therefore this would be redundant after the first stage seat. If you want the 2 way base, then this costs a LOT more. I am now umming and ahhing about what we will do when he gets to one, whether to use this, or whether to fork out for something else.

Anyway, all modern cars now have isofix points in the back seats as standard. Therefore this base easily attaches to the seat in the car. I generally leave this to my boyfriend, as he has to take it in and out as he gives people lifts to work sometimes. Once it is attached, you simply just pop the car seat in (either Cabriofix, Pebble or Pearl), and the three green lights light up and it makes a beep. If this doesn't happen, then it isn't fixed in properly. It did take some getting used to, and was harder when we had a 4 wheel drive car which was higher up, but now I find it so simple, and it is easy to remove just by pulling up the lever.

This really did give me peace of mind, especially in the early days of having a baby. It is also particularly useful when it is pouring with rain and you don't want to be faffing around with a seatbelt.

For what it is, it is a great idea. However, as already said, not for extended rear facing, and I'm not sure if we would have been better just getting the cheaper one which only worked with the first stage car seat and then getting something else for the next one. We will see.

Nonetheless, 4 out of 5 stars.

• Garmin Streetpilot C310 / GPS Sat Nav / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      26.01.2015 15:53

Advantages

Disadvantages

sat nav slipping down the rankings

This is one of the first satnavs to enter the market and so it is no wonder that now it is beginning to look outdated and many other sat navs are taking over. In appearance it is pretty much the same as TomTom's one and so already this has some positive points for the Garmin StreetPilot.

The screen itself is touch screen, adding to ease of use and the LCD screen is 320x240, giving it a respectable screen size, allowing for use by all generations. It is also very bright, so allows for easy use when driving, making routes far easier to take. The menu system also means that getting started is quick and easy, so doesn't delay your start time of your journey. The cradle system holds the device steadily and so there is no worry of the sat nav falling off the windscreen whilst you are driving.

The maps have been loaded onto an SD card, so there is no need to do this yourself. Unfortunately, the voice commands are always early, so you may find yourself turning down the wrong road. They are also very quiet, even on the loudest voice setting. The commands are not repeated, so you have to listen carefully the entire journey as you only have one shot to get it right and it takes far too long to re-calibrate a route for your convenience.

Unfortunately in today's market, this sat nav is slowly slipping down the rankings and you should definitely consider a newer model, even if it is more expensive

• Barry M Lip Paint / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.01.2015 15:52

Advantages

• "great range of shades"
      • "easy to apply"
      • moisturising

Disadvantages

• "not very glossy/shiny"

Ultra Moisturising Lip Paint.

THE PRODUCT: I am reviewing Barry M Ultra Moisturising Lip Paint which I have been using for at least a year or so now. I love Barry M products anyway and I loved the sound of this lipstick which is why I purchased it in the first place. I tend to choose lipsticks that are moisturising as I often find that my lips can get quite dry when wearing lipstick. This particular lip paint is enriched with hydrating and lip nourishing Cocoa Butter for a soft and saturated finish. There are a total of 8 different shades in this lip paint which include shades of red and pinks. I am reviewing a shade called 'Pink Champagne' which is a lovely subtle, light pink colour.

PRICE: You can purchase this from boots or Superdrug stores for £4.49 which I think is very reasonable.

IN USE: The lipstick comes in bright pink packaging so I can find this easily in my bag or make-up bag when looking for it. The lipstick is easy to apply and glides onto my lips easily. As the 'Pink Champagnge' is a light colour I do go over my lips at least twice to ensure that the colours of the lipstick looks good. The lipstick feels smooth when applying it and it also feels as though it's giving my lips a boost of moisture as well. After applying the lipstick my lips always have a nice colour to them, which is stuble but great for day or night. Although the colour looks great on it's own I do tend to apply a clear lip gloss over the top to make it look a little shiny as this lipstick is more of a matte looking colour rather than shiny or glossy.

RESULTS: I find that the lipstick lasts a good amount of time without me having to re-apply it too often; although this does depend on how much you are eating or drinking as this obviously makes the lipstick wear off a lot quicker. When wearing the lipstick my lips feel moisturised and at no point did they feel or look as though they were dry. I normally remove the lipstick with a wet tissue if I need to at the end of the evening.

OVERALL: A lovely moisturising lipstick.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown