25.07.2014 17:08

Advantages

• "makes a full batch"
      • "fairly priced"

Disadvantages

Good cheap fun, makes brilliant cookies

We never have really been the baking type, but when we came across this cookie mix, we thought it might be a good idea to give it a go. We bought two just in case, because being first timers we expected to mess up horribly the first time.

Making the product:

The mix has instructions on the back of the packet, so they are very easy to make. You simply follow the recipe, bake, and the cookies are done! It really is that simple, but, as mentioned, it was our first time, so of course we missed steps from the instructions and they went horribly wrong! Good job we bought two! But it was a lot of fun making them. This is a good product to buy when you have children, because they would really enjoy making them, and having a treat at the end of it too.

The price:

This mix only cost us 77p per box, which i thought was very cheap. You cant go wrong considering to buy a packet would cost you around the same price. For those who love to bake, i should imagine they would much rather make their own instead of buying them ready made.

Overall review:

I think this is a really great product, with a brilliant price. As mentioned above, its also a cheap way to entertain the kids, especially on the holidays! I would recommend anyone who wants to give home baking a shot to buy some of these products, just to give it a go!

25.07.2014 16:55

Advantages

• "cheap and cheerful"

Disadvantages

• "very fattening"

Low quality but cheap

I have always been a fan of bargain shopping. I actively seek out new bargains every time that i visit a shop. I think it is good to buy products you was going to buy anyway cheap, everyone likes it. But sometimes it has floors.

I was wondering around the biscuit isle when i came across these cookies. The ones next to them where £1.60 and these where less than 50p, so these quite frankly looked more appealing on my pocket, plus you actually get more in these than you do most packets of biscuits.

Unfortunate when we first tried these products with our usually cup of tea, i must say i was less than impressed. The cookies did not really have much taste to them i thought. They are obviously mass produced which is why they can sell them so cheap, but they have missed out the quality in the ingredients used to make them, which is a shame.

A lot of Tesco home brand products are really good, and some of them even rival the top brands. If you are on a budget these kinds of products really do help you out, but you really do need to pick and choose these wisely.

As for these biscuits, I would not get them again, it is worth paying the extra pound to get the quality i think. Perhaps if they made a new recipe, even if it meant charging a little bit more per pack, they would appeal to me more. The product is also very fattening too, which most cookies are, but they are very very high in saturated fat!

25.07.2014 16:46

Advantages

• "Creepy gothicism"
      • Songs
      • Plot

Disadvantages

• "Not for overly-sensitive kids"

A Masterpiece of Animation that Deserves to be Seen

A beautiful masterpiece from Tim Burton with the measured flow of the art of stop-motion animation. I think stop-motion is underused in terms of films, probably because of the laborious process it requires, but it lends a beautiful motion and affect to the whole thing.

So, OK, what we basically have here is the story of two lovers - Victor and Victoria, due to be married to raise funds for her family and status for his. Luckily, they both love each other, unluckily, poor Victor is a bit of a klutz and ends up marrying a dead woman. The dead woman is rather - um - animated, and not too happy with the idea of Victor bouncing off and leaving her for 'Little Miss Living.'

The dead woman is Emily, voiced by Helena Bonham Carter and a suitable mixture of naïve and demanding. Johnny Depp voices the bemused Victor.

Danny Elfman's songs are catchy, beautiful, and always the right tone for the moment in the film. Elfman's music perfectly blends in with Tim Burton's gothic yet magical world - a world in which the land of the dead is full of colour, while the land of the living is dour and strict.

This is perhaps not the best film for overly-sensitive kids, but many kids will enjoy it just the same. Kids can be far more comfortable with things that adults assume are too scary than they are given credit for - and at the end of the day there is very little violence in this film, and the danger comes from the living, not from the dead, who, while looking a little frightening, are the friends and family of this film. The living meanwhile scheme for their own ends. Still, if you know that your child gets scared easily, don't let them watch this film.

The plot of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride is reminiscent of a fairy tale and the final scene reinforces this magical beauty through some stunning visuals.

25.07.2014 16:30

Advantages

• "They seem to love the taste"
      • "Eases the discomfort of hairballs"

Disadvantages

• Expense

Say balls to furballs!

Hairballs or Furballs are horrible little lumps of hair which build up in a cats stomach over time due to them ingesting lots of fur when grooming themselves.
      Now and again a furball will be coughed or vomitted up causing discomfort for the cat.

My cat is just over a year old and in that year has only had one small hairball, though in the past few months since it has been getting warmer and he's moulting a lot more and fairly often he will be quite miserable. He will sulk off on his own looking fed up, may be a little off his food, drinking lots of water, runny eyes and smelly breath. All of which lead me to believe he's about to have a furball. Each time he's like this it will last a couple of days and then eventually he will vomit and struggle a lot with it. Often it is just bile with a bit of fur in it but I had a feeling there was a lot of fur waiting to come up.

Royal Canin food can be found in lots of vets and pet shops and is highly recommended as a high quality food...which comes at a higher price than other brands!
      My cat is lucky that my family love to spoil him and a recent Zooplus box arrived containing plenty cat litter and a big 10kg bag of this food.

Not wanting to leave anyone out, I gave Bobby and the 2 feral visitors a dinner of the Royal Canin Intense Hairball. They all wolfed it down and were looking for more. Even the fussiest of them, one of the ferals, didn't bother to sniff it suspiciously and gobbled it up.

It states that it's effectiveness is proven within 21 days. About a week after starting to feed this, Bobby had a little furball which came up fairly easily and without as much discomfort as usual. The following week another small one and a couple of weeks later a larger one. Since then he seems to be passing a lot of fur out of the other end so it must be working! I don't think you can ever completely eliminate furballs, but reducing the number, size and discomfort of them is a big help.

The only negative with this food is the cost. At around £45 for 10kg it is twice the price of the likes of GoCat dry food and much more expensive than value brands.
      A 10kg bag does last a long time so I think it works out that the food only costs around £2 a week per cat so it's not too bad. If you want to try it but can't afford the large bags which prove best value for money, smaller packets are available and you could always alternate between this and a cheaper variety and add wet food to the diet which would reduce the amount of this food needed.
      I will be buying it again!

25.07.2014 15:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Decent printer

We bought this when our other printer decided to break on us and print in blotches of ink. It was really frustrating because we had not even had it for that long so it felt like we had just wasted 30 odd pounds.

I like that this printer has several features and it is not just a simple printer. It is a scanner, copier AND printer. I like this feature of it purely for the fact that you do not have to purchase separate products that do the same thing. Instead you have the one product that does all three things.

This printer not only performs well but looks great too. It is sleek and contemporary and blends in well in the room without looking too out of place. The printer is not too big and bulky but it is just right.

The downside of this printer for me is that the quality of the printing is probably not the best but saying that it is not too bad. It kind of makes what you print look a little a bit dull and the colour that is originally in what you are printing, especially pictures, is not there.

I believe that this printer is definitely good quality for money as there are several features to it. I would recommend this to those who may be on a budget and are looking for a good quality product with all the features, without having to buy separate products that do the same thing.

25.07.2014 15:42

Advantages

• "Kind to sensitive skin"
      • "Unisex scent"
      • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Not much lather.."

RE - Fresh..!

~ Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel ~

This review will outline my experiences of trying the "Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel", which I purchased recently for around £1 in a local (independent) pharmacy. You can also buy it online and in some discounted drugstores such as Savers.

The packaging is in keeping with most of the other shower gels I've purchased from the Nivea brand in the past; the upright bottle has a slightly 'rounded' look to its edges that gives it a modern appearance. The bottle is made of see-through plastic, and the gel is an attractive green-blue shade.

I find that the Fitness Fresh Shower Gel dispenses easily from its bottle; it's consistency is not overly thick, but it doesn't 'drip' easily either.

The Fitness Fresh scent feels considerably more 'unisex' than most of the other shower gel products that I've been using recently, and this is exactly what I had anticipated. The scent feels wonderfully refreshing, quietly revitalising, and really rather nice. I do have to admit that the scent is considerably less 'robust' than many of the other shower gel products from within the Nivea range that I've tried before, and if I'm being perfectly honest, it's rather too understated for my liking.

True, the scent is entirely noticeable during the time the product is being used, but as soon as my shower time is over and I begin to get dried, the scent seems to disappear. Not even a faint trace of the pleasant scent lingers on the skin afterwards. On the plus side, this makes it perfectly suited to use first thing in the day, when other shower gels and bath creams feel rather too overpowering for use at this hour; I am not too fond of 'heady' scents at this time of the day as they often feel too much. The Nivea Fitness Fresh, on the other hand, feels much more suited to this time of day when I am in need of something with a slightly more 'muted' scent.

The Fitness Fresh Shower Gel doesn't produce a particularly luxurious lather, with it feeling rather 'flat' in this respect.

I did feel, however, that the gel left my skin thoroughly cleansed and somewhat refreshed after use. I noticed that there was no residue lurking on the skin, nor did my skin feel 'tight' or at all uncomfortable. In actual fact, I was pleased to note that I suffered no acceleration to the dryness that is often present after showering; it seems to me that the Fitness Fresh Shower Gel has a considerably more 'nourishing' formulation than I had first anticipated.

As with all products in the Nivea range that I have tried before, I have suffered nothing in the way of irritation or sensitivity during the use of this product so I do recommend it for consumers with sensitive skin issues.

Taking everything into account, I do recommend the Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel and would repurchase it again in the future.

25.07.2014 15:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Strong smell

I suffer from hay fever and when it gets really bad I have been advised to steam my face to open my nasal passage. At first I just used to use plain steaming water because we did not have any essential oils except for lavender. My mother bought me this and I used it straight away. It definitely helps with the steaming and I feel it working better in opening up my nasal passage.

Essential oils are quite expensive, which is understandable, but do not let that put you off because you seriously only need a couple of drops of the oil for you to be able to smell it. It is so strong and you can seriously smell it from a couple of rooms away!

I love the smell of Eucalyptus and I would definitely look into buying more essential oils, even if I do not know what I am going to be doing with them!

• Apple iMac MB417B/A / Desktop PC / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.07.2014 15:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Supreme

My love affair with Apple products began when my sister first purchased a Macbook. I never really understood why people were so obsessed with Apple products until I was at the hands of one. They are so sleek and just have got it going on!

Our family computer was a Packard Bell that had been giving us trouble for some time, we had had it for a while but regardless of that it was just not that good to begin with. It would always crash and take hours to load. It was getting so frustrating so we decided on purchasing a new computer. Originally we did not make a plan to buy an iMac purely because of how expensive they are, but when we got to the store everything changed.

The iMac's just stood above the PC's and we could not resist. Additionally what pushed us that little bit more in getting the computer was the price, it was on offer and not as expensive as we thought it would be.

Now, the computer itself is very different to any PC. It can take some getting used to if you are new to it. For example, Apple products run on the internet application 'Safari' instead of internet explorer and the exit tab is on the top left hand side rather than the right. You will have to read the manual before hand to fully understand each application and how to work the computer.

The computer itself is just a monitor, it does not come with a large box to help it function, which is great because it does not take up tons of space which makes the room look a lot tidier as there are less wires hanging out of places.

The computer itself works a lot faster and it is less likely to crash than other PC's. We have not had any trouble with it as of it and would definitely recommend it to everyone. It may come with a heavy price tag but trust me it is so worth it.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.07.2014 14:26

Advantages

Disadvantages

Laptop good. Sean like.

I needed this computer to be ready for me to move to Japan. It was ready to go straight away and works perfectly. It's exactly what I wanted and it arrived super fast. I bought this laptop as a desktop replacement, and whilst a laptop is rarely as good this really is.

25.07.2014 13:12

Advantages

• "elegant "
      • "floral scent "

Disadvantages

Perfect, elegant scent for a night out

Sensual, elegant and rich floral scent that was my first impression concerning this wonderful perfume. I do think it can fit anybody with delicate and special taste.
      yesterday, to avoid the soupy air on a protracted walk, I ducked into a store that sells caudalie...I nonchalantly picked up this bottle, as I've ne'er sniffed any of the vignes perfumes. Behold. Love initially sniff. i actually cherished this on my skin below the recent waxiness of the July air quality in my town. i do not expect this "refreshing water" to own nice longevity. I simply need to smell contemporary and beautiful once it's close to not possible to smell like something however hot sticky sweat. i like the combo of the florals with this tea note, command along by a swish wispy non-oppressive musk. Perfection.
      It's just like falling in love with smth for its simplicity. affirmative. that might be ME, talking regarding this gently scented sparkling vinery tea. Its with modesty inviting aroma is kind of stunning.
      sort of a missy on her initial date, she is back and wonderful. Naturally blushed cheeks and rosy lips suggests she is pure and tempting in each doable approach.
      Yes. The Des Vignes is that engaging to ME. The tea is recent, ginger sparklingly sweet, and soft creamy musk pretty. Another coy skin scent I stumbled upon and fell for head over heels .. A scent of a woman enamored .. stunning while not even attempting.
      So that was my impression about such great scent.

• FIFA 14 (PSV) / Playstation Vita / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      25.07.2014 12:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "No change since FIFA 2013"

Do not buy this game as a protest of EA stealing our money!

This review is mixed. This review is ONLY reflective of the PS Vita game, and not other consoles.

FIFA 14 is a good game on the PS Vita when looking at it as a stand alone product. But when you compare this to FIFA 13 then you realise that you have just been ripped off. Therefore the rating of this product is based on the value I expected to receive rather than the actual game itself.

So what is the difference between FIFA 14 (Vita) and FIFA 13 (Vita)? Updated kits and teams.

You read that right. The only difference between the two in the series is the fact that FIFA 14 comes with the updated kits (and teams to an extent). The gameplay and graphics are exactly the same. The teams do not come fully updated. Out of the box you don't get the most up to date teams (Come on, Ozil even isn't in the default Arsenal squad!), they must be updated via an internet connection, so can be a bit annoying if you decided to buy it and play it on the way home and realised that you needed an internet connection in order to get the latest team updates.

EA must have a great marketing team in making me buy the product. The "Legacy Edition" that's imprinted on the front of the cover is very very misleading, and makes it seem as you're getting something very special.

Verdict: If you own FIFA 13, do not buy this game. If you don't own FIFA 13, still don't buy this game. We shouldn't let EA rip off it's consumers in the disgusting fashion that it has done here. Do not spend £30 on a game where £30 worth of effort in updating the product has not been done.

• movies.yahoo.com / Internet Site / 3 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.07.2014 11:45

Advantages

• "Nice adventures"
      • "Best movies"

Disadvantages

• "Consumes bandwidth"
      • "Too slow "

Despite their shortcoming, yahoo movies is still quite a sport for movie lovers.

This movies is site is worth a trial. despite the shortcomings of the yahoo movie network due to slow connectivity and consumes quite a lot of time before loading but alternative they have wonderful movies and for lovers of adventure, they have got quite a collection. I love their movies but detest their slow connectivity but you have gotta endure that if you really wanna watch the fun

• Candlelit Names - Mum / Homeware / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      25.07.2014 10:40

Advantages

• "Pretty and good value"
      • "Makes a fabulous gift"

Your name in lights.

About a year ago I read a review on this site (thank you lak11) about these candlelit names. A name or letter is cut out in a lacework design on an ivory porcelain tealight holder which measures 7cm x 7cm x 7cm. When the tealight is lit, the name or letter is illuminated. The holider is very pretty and when lit up looks really special throwing out a gentle light.
      You can get all sorts of girls’ names as well as letters of the alphabet. They are also holders for teacher, grandma, etc. There’s a wide choice and if they don’t have the name you are looking for you can spell it out in letters.
      I was looking for a christening present recently and remember reading lak11’s review. It was for a christening of a four-year old whom my friend and her husband had recently adopted. The christening was also a way of welcoming Gemma into the family and I was looking for something that she might appreciate.
      I found a nice chest with the slogan ‘What are little girls made of’ and popped in four of the candlelit names spelling out G E M M A. Each holder came with a tealight but I replaced them with battery operated tealights so that they would be safe for Gemma to have in her bedroom. I’m told that she loves them so a great success. It’s such a simple idea but they are very effective and make terrific gifts.
      ***Where to buy***
      Candlelit Names are distributed by an American company, History and Heraldry. I’ve seen them in garden centres but I ordered mine online from Keillers China Shop. You can also find them easily on Amazon and ebay. Keillers charge £3.99 per name. Standard delivery is free. They came very quickly and were well packaged.
      ***Recommended?***
      Definitely. These make a great gift and are very reasonably priced. The full 5 out of 5.

• Ebuyer.com / Online Shop / 3 Readings / 1 Rating
      25.07.2014 10:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

Will always buy and recommend eBuyer.com to the people I know.

I had a problem with a monitor and eBuyer.com customer support, they were very good and clear in helping in getting the issue resolved quickly. So yes I will always buy and recommend eBuyer.com.

• Garmin Edge 200 / GPS Sat Nav / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
      25.07.2014 09:41

Advantages

• "Excellent features"
      • Accurate

Disadvantages

Garmin Edge 200 - entry level but good enough for me

With more and more people taking up cycling, having a device which records and analyses your routes is becoming more and more popular. There are many smartphone apps which do this perfectly well but the downside of this is that using GPS on a smartphone drains the battery quickly. If you are on a long ride, this may become a problem.

Thankfully the Garmin Edge series of bike navigation units allow you to overcome this issue. The Edge 200 is the entry level device which will be sufficient for most leisure cyclists. The device measures your overall moving time, distance covered, average speed and fastest speed. For most people this will be enough info and the beauty of the Edge 200 is that all this data can be uploaded to the Garminworld website as well as other popular fitness websites such as Endomondo and Strava.

Installing the Edge 200 couldn't be simpler. All you do is place the fixing bracket on the frame of your handlebars where you want the unit to go and wrap the two bands around the frame to secure the bracket. Once in place, you can fix or unclip the Edge 200 by placing it over the bracket and turning it 90 degrees.

The Edge 200 has a 130 hour memory capacity which means you can store a huge number of rides on it before they will need deleting. By keeping a lot of rides on the edge, you will be able to challenge yourself over courses which you do frequently. The Edge 200 will show you, using simple graphics if you are currently beating your personal best on a course or not.

The Edge can be charged by using a micro USB cable connected to your PC. This is also the method used for transferring the data to GarminWorld.

I bought my Edge 200 from Amazon for £85 which was the cheapest I could find at the time. Other models in the series are the Edge 500, 510, 800, 810 and 1000. All these did appeal to me but when I weighed up the extra functionality and the price associated with it, I felt the Edge 200 represented the best value for money. I did wonder if I was wasting my money, seeing as I had the functionality already on my smartphone but I am pleased I made the purchase as I am now safe in the knowledge that my smartphone will have a full battery, should I need to make an emergency call while out on a ride.

If you are a keen but casual cyclist, I would thoroughly recommend buying the Garmin Edge 200 to accompany you on your next ride.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown