26.05.2016 19:01

Advantages

• "Good quality scanning / copying"
      • "Good quality printing"
      • "Easy to connect"
      • "Easy to use"
      • Functional

Disadvantages

Great quality printer and scanner, which is quick and easy to use

What is this?

This is a printer which also has the function to copy, scan and more. It can be connected either via a USB cable or can be connected via WiFi, with both methods being equally easy. It doesn't require a set up CD or any proper software beyond a computer. It can print in colour and black / white, and the ink required is not that expensive.

What do I think?

I got this computer for going away to University and it has been a very trustworthy computer. It is very quick to fire up and you can press print and have it out within a few seconds. I actually bought the printer in white, as it comes in this colour as well as black. It does exactly what it claims to be able to do and does it well. The printer is incredibly easy to use, even for my technophobic parents, and has a few simple and clearly marked buttons to do things such as select what i want to do and whether it wants to be in black and white or colour. It is very easy to connect to the computer - the USB is very easy, but setting up the Wifi Connection takes just a few minutes and is so easy, as long as you have a stable home connection which isn't encrypted. The printing quality is excellent which is brilliant, and the speed at which it happens is just an added bonus. It also has an excellent scanning / copying function, which produces incredibly good images.

26.05.2016 18:14

Advantages

• "Strong plot"
      • "Great acting"
      • Emotional

Disadvantages

Excellent emotional film with a strong plot strengthened by great actors

What is it?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is the sixth instalment of eight films in the Harry Potter series and is based off the book by the same name. The film follows Harry Potter as he tries to come to terms with his Godfather's death, and tries to understand the changing wizarding world he finds himself a part of.

What do I think?

As a massive Harry Potter fan, I was incredibly excited for the sixth film to come out and it certainly did not disappoint. Whilst obviously huge chunks of the book, which is a very large book had to be cut out, this does not detract from the strength of the story. The plot remains strong throughout, with a wonderful and unpredictable twist at the end, which is told in a beautiful way and enhanced through the excellent cinematography and direction. The characters are played wonderfully well by the actors and actresses, and notable new actors in this film include those who played Horace Slughorn and Lavender Brown, who definitely join the cast and add something to it. The film is highly emotionally charged at points, and Harry's loss of his godfather at the end of the last film / book means that you get to see a whole new side to him. This is really a strong film because of the emotions it plays on and the acting really brings this out. For any Potter fan this addition to the series is a strong one.

26.05.2016 18:03

Advantages

• "Surprisingly good graphics for console type"
      • "Good for any Potter fan"
      • "Fun to play"

Disadvantages

• "based on the film not the book"
      • "Misses massive chunks of the script"
      • "Confusing game"

Fun to play, stood the test of time but confusing and lacking in areas

What is it?

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone from Gameboy Advance is a video game which came out not long after the first Harry Potter film. It is a strategy based game, with smaller mini challenges and tasks as well as an overarching storyline which follows that of the film. It has a range of characters featured in the film and the game is set in many different locations in the Harry Potter world, including Hogwarts and others.

What do I think?

I got this game many years ago when I had just seen the first Harry Potter film and it has certainly stood the test of time because I find myself playing on it even now. It is a fun game which is aided by the strong storytelling from JK Rowling and unlike some modern video games not only has a definite end point - which you can optionally continue on from - but also a strong story line. Any Harry Potter fan will enjoy this game because of how close it is to the film and the way in which it allows you to live in Harry's world. The graphics are standard for a GBA but certainly do not hinder the game in any way.

The game is a little confusing, with not much instruction provided and it is certainly made easier to play now with being able to google the way to play it. It does also miss huge scenes from the film which seems a bit silly and focuses instead on incredibly minor moments. It also has the inherent flaw that it is based on the film and not the book which means it may be slightly lacking for a Potter enthusiast.

26.05.2016 17:55

Advantages

• "Loads of designs"
      • "Good price"
      • Practical

Disadvantages

excellent quality product which is durable at a good price

What is it?

This is a card holder made by paperchase, and which comes in a multitude of designs. The case is designed to fit two credit card size cards - so perfect for train tickets and railcards etc - but each slot does have room really to fit multiple in though obviously only two can be seen at a time.

What do I think?

This is an incredibly practically designed product due to the light weight nature of it and the flexibility of it. This can be easily kept inside a jacket pocket, or even within a purse as it is not much bigger than the actual size of the cards when folded. The flexibility of the product makes it easy to use and it is not too tight to make it hard to get the card in or out which is a definite advantage. The price of this product which is less than £5 though dependant on design, is very reasonable for it, particularly as it is such a long lasting and durable product. I have had mine now for a couple of years and it has not changed at all in appearance, whereas usually some of these types of things tear on the internal plastic from use. Equally there are so many designs to choose from which makes it (a) easy for you to find something that you are going to like and (b) means if you have a few for different things there is no chance of you getting them confused. My whole family has a different pattern and when we go on rail journeys its easy to keep everyone's cards separate and organised.

• Paperchase Ltd / Employment / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.05.2016 17:47

Advantages

• "Wide range of products"
      • "Good quality stationery"
      • "Cute products"

Disadvantages

• "Prices can be a bit expensive"

Excellent shop with a wide range, though prices can be a little high

What is it?

Paperchase is a chain store, which originated in the UK, originally specialising mainly in high quality stationary but now has expanded to sell a wide range of products. They often have themed ranges such as their London underground, dinosaur, cat or similar, which they then sell virtually the same products in different patterns. They also do loads of just basic stationery stuff, including pencils, pen, paper and card, notice board pins, diaries and planners etc.

What do I think?

Paperchase is a great brand because of the range of cute products they do. The products they sell are probably aimed at teenagers and younger, but they are often suitable for any age. The range of cards they do include the funny to the intricate to the thoughtful, and they have such a vast range that it would be virtually impossible not to find something suitable for anyone. They also do excellent postcards, which again are usually pretty funny, and they are sold at very reasonable prices for that sort of thing. Equally the quality of the stationery they sell tends to be very good, and the pens and pencils are sturdy and don't easily break. They have really captured a gap in the market by expanding into their themed ranges with items such as lunch boxes, candle holders, and anything else you can think of really. They also have a great range of things around Christmas time, which are very suitable for younger people. The only slight disadvantage of Paperchase is the prices can be a bit hit or miss - some things are very reasonable but some are outrageously expensive for what they are.

26.05.2016 16:23

Advantages

• "Friendly responses to email queries"
      • "Loads of options "
      • "Excellent quality"
      • "You are kept up to date at all stages of build"

Disadvantages

I would recommend pcspecialist to anyone thinking of purchasing a new pc

Top quality build of my desktop pc. It was easy to check the progress of my order at all stages & it was dispatched & delivered exactly when they said it would be. Really pleased with my purchase

26.05.2016 11:24

Advantages

• "Great quality"
      • "Fast turnaround"

Disadvantages

Excellent partner

Our first order with Print24 went as smoothly as possible. Products arrived ahead of schedule and are of a great quality. Will definitely be using their services again.

• Slapiton.tv / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.05.2016 10:58

Advantages

• none

Disadvantages

• "Fraud. AVOID!!!!!"

Fraud. AVOID!!!!!

I have exactly the same experience as other people (see Trustpilot website for more reviews!). I ordered my perfume in March. I got ANOTHER perfume than the one I ordered. I have contacted them several times since then and it´s almost June and I haven´t got my order yet - I´ve been waiting for it for more than 2 months. They stopped replying to my emails. NEVER ORDER FROM THIS SITE, it will save a lot of time and money.

26.05.2016 09:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Brilliant Service, Quality Builds and Competitive Pricing

My old pc was dying after 6 years, and I decided to create my own specification - I was a little nervous given my knowledge of PC workings is fairly limited!! I have no regrets in doing so, or in selecting PC Specialist to build it for me. It was good to be able to see the build progress online, helpful to see whether there were any potential conflicts with the hardware before confirming the purchase and the pc was dispatched sooner than I expected. Will definitely recommend if anyone asks me.

26.05.2016 00:08

Advantages

• "great support"
      • "price competetive"
      • " lots of choice"
      • "good breadth of products "

Disadvantages

Intuitive, informative and higly competetive

An easy to use website that has an intuitive build process with a great choice of product available.
      Price competitive and speedy delivery with an up to date tracking system. Well packaged delivery.

• Warren Evans / Highstreet Shopping / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.05.2016 15:03

Advantages

• "Great service post sale"

Disadvantages

Happy to recommend and will use again

I have purchased a bed from Warren Evans a year ago and the service was great at the time. Then 10 months later I had to move house. My friend and I did our best to reinstall my bed in my new flat but the bed board was slightly moving.
      I went to my local Warren Evans - same team that sold me the bed - and they were more than happy to send in the ‘’professionals’’ to sort out my bed.
      Team A arrived - Mick and Khalid - and within 15 min my bed was realigned and sturdy again!
      Thank you Warren Evans for helping and looking after your customers!

Ms C L - Chelmsford, Essex

• TV Choice / Magazine / Newspaper / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.05.2016 13:05

Advantages

• "Usable TV Guide"

Disadvantages

• "Bit cheapo"

Does the job

My dream job is to be a TV and film critic. I love being opinionated and why I – and most of you –enjoy Gogglebox on Friday night. If you want honest TV reviews then Gogglebox is the place. They represent a cross-section of the public and as equally critical and cutting as you and me in front of the TV when we are relaxed and at home. There has been some editing on the show to cut out swear words and libel and stuff but in general that’s you and me sitting right there. Now, in the real world to enjoy TV we need a TV guide. There are people out there who don’t need to plan their week around telly and have lots of things to do out and about with their lovely friends in the evenings and weekends but in general we need TV and DVD like Joe Brand needs chocolate. Its part of our routine and the brain needs routines to function.

My chosen TV guide in the summer is the cheapest one, normally TV Choice or Whats On. They cost between 50 and 60p and available in all major supermarkets and in most newsagents and minimarts. For the football season I buy the Mail on Saturday or Sunday as it’s the best paper in Britain for sport and has two great TV guides over the weekend. The Saturday one is probably the best in the country. It has all the main terrestrial and cable channels primetime viewing set out in front of you in two pages and off you go with your pen to ring your favorites. But it’s the summer now and so it’s the cheapo small ones until mid August. I’m out more so less telly anyway. I really just want to know when there is new series of Salvage Hunters and American Pickers is on and any new films I haven’t seen.

TV Choice is very busy and the smaller magazine size. You get those people who want the complete TV guide experience and buy Radio Times but I don’t think there can ever be a time when a TV guide should cost more than a takeaway, RT nearly four quid now! But there is a Radio Times gang out there and they will buy it on principal because they think its middle-class or the official BBC TV guide or something and so deserve to be ripped off. But if you can do cheap and get the same thing then do cheap is my motto. Some people do buy TV mags because they like a certain critic’s views so fair enough but generally they are commercial products and so sometimes not as harsh as they should be on some TV shows and not reviewing others for the same reason. When they big up shows they know are crap because their magazine relies on adverts from that groups who owns the show then that’s where I got annoyed. Again TV choice is not really in that business and there just to list and briefly provide generally un-opinionated information on TV shows and a little more information on their picks.

The magazine is like all TV mags with the first few pages reviewing new shows and series on the coming week and month. There is a Have Your Say page to send in letters. I used to back in the day chasing the £20 book voucher but when one finally went in they edited it down to nothing. There is TV Choice Awards entry where you can box tick your favorite shows and send that in and then a US TV Drama finder that outlines what channel your American shows are and what day in the week they are on, the classic magazine filler. The soap planner page is the same story as you should really know when your favorite soap is on. The ‘Sport Choice’ double page is useful to see what’s on where on the various cable and terrestrial stations. Film Choice follows that although subjective and lists most of the films on that week. But it’s not all of them and so that is an issue. It tries to list the ones they think are the best or popular, Black Swan and Drive Angry neither of those.

We then get into the main TV guide with BBC1 to Channel 5 on the first double spread and then the lesser channels like ITV4 and BBC4 that you all get on the Freeview package on the next two pages. The next two pages are the even more niche channels on Freeview and then we get into the pay channels on Sky etc with three pages in total. The listings run from Saturday to Friday. The magazine ends with the perfunctory prize crossword, horrorscopes and tons of those ads with impossibly sexy and airbrushed older people that advertise Stenna stairlifts and adaptable baths.

So summing up I would say most of the cheaper TV mags are aimed at older and more ‘working-class’ people. I say that because the middle-class don’t like to be told what they like and should watch, hence Points of View with Anne Robinson and the Radio Times. They go big on soaps and ITV shows. ITV is traditionally a blue collar channel. If you didn’t realize that then you are blue collar I’m afraid. It puts on populist shows

25.05.2016 04:49

Advantages

• Reliable
      • "Clear scanned images "
      • "Good quality printing"

Disadvantages

• "Occasional smudging "

A quality little printer/scanner that stands up to frequent use

I bought this printer as the main household printer for myself and my husband. Being a teacher, I tend to do an awful lot of printing, particularly in colour, so needed something that would stand up to that level of use and be reliable.

The Epson XP 312 is a compact combined printer and scanner. It looks smart (gloss black) and seems to be made of quality materials. We have owned our printer for over a year and the plastic still looks fairly new and has remained scratch free.

The scanner part of the machine works as you would expect. It allows you to scan documents up to A4 size so if you need it for larger pages this is probably not the machine for you. I have been very happy with the quality of the images once scanned and I have even used it to scan old photos.

One of the main benefits of an Epson printer are the cost of the ink cartridges. This machine takes six cartridges and they are much cheaper than many other brands of printers.

On the whole the print quality is good as long as you keep maintaining the machine, for example cleaning the print heads. We haven't had any problems at all with gapping but occasionally get a couple of smudges. As with any inkjet printer, the quality is not quite as sharp as with a laser printer. However, I have owned a number of inkjet printers and this one is by far the best.

• Humax DTR-T1010 / Set Top Box / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.05.2016 04:46

Advantages

• "No monthly fee"
      • "Good amount of storage"
      • Responsive
      • "Reliable series link"

A brilliant product

This is the second Humax digital recorder that I have owned and for me, it is a must have product.

Digital recorders generally have taken the place of DVD or VHS recorders I think, making it much simpler to record TV. Some people might question the need to buy a digital recorder when services such as BBC iPlayer are available. However, there are a number of channels that are not available using an 'on demand' service which can be recorded using a digital recorder. Also, when watching 'on demand' programmes such as those on 4OD, the viewer is forced to sit through every advert break unable to skip them. A digital recorder gives you much more freedom to move around within each programme, skipping the ads. In addition to this, many 'on demand' programmes have a limited time window for viewing - a digital recorder allows you to keep recorded content for as long as you like.

This machine specifically is a brilliant digital recorder. Most importantly, with the Humax there is no monthly fee. Unlike with Sky or Virgin Media, you simply pay upfront for the box and that's it. This Humax allows you to browse through programmes, often up to a week in advance using the 'Guide' function. You can then choose to either record a single programme or use the 'series link' option to record many. The series link is fairly reliable and almost always continues recording a programme until asked to stop. Occasionally, the series link will need to be reset, for example if you set all Formula 1 races to record, you would probably need to instruct the Humax to record at the start of each new season. If recording whole series, the 'Option Plus' button is a useful feature. It allows you to manage whole files of programmes, deleting them all at once which could be time consuming if deleting them individually. Also, you can use the file manager to organise your content. For example, if you recorded a number of movies you could create a folder called 'Films' meaning that they would not need to be listed on the main 'Media' screen.

The Humax machine is very responsive making it quick to navigate content. I really like this product and think that it is a good buy.

• Skullcandy INK'D / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.05.2016 04:41

Advantages

• "Comfortable "
      • "Excellent sound quality"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Poor over time"

You get what you pay for...

I bought a pair of Skullcandy INK'D headphones as a gift for my eighteen year old brother and he loved them. He likes his trendy labels such as Boisht and many of his friends already had Skullcandy headphones. I took that to mean that Skullcandy is 'in' as we used to say and bought him a pair.

The INK'D headphones certainly look the part. They are sleek and glossy with the Skullcandy logo on each side. The ear buds are very soft making them comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The buds are a little larger that other comparative headphones - I imagine this helps block background noise but might not be to everybody's taste.

The sound quality is very good, especially when compared to other in ear headphones. The bass comes through crisply and there is virtually no sound distortion even when moving around. I would be very surprised if you could get better sound quality for this price bracket.

I must say that although the Skullcandy INK'D headphones look and sound great, they have not lasted brilliantly. My brother has been using them for six months now and they are just starting to look a bit worn. Parts of the plastic look scuffed and one of wires is coming a little loose. It took a few months for them to start looking scruffy and the have had quite heavy use.

I think I would buy them again as I think that the sound quality is excellent for the price. Plus you can't beat 'trend appeal' when buying a gift for a teenager!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown