• Apple iPhone 5S 64 GB / Smartphone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      04.06.2015 00:22

Advantages

• "Clear Display"
      • "Strong Structure"
      • Sleek

Disadvantages

• "Can get very hot"

Maybe not the best Smartphone on the market but a solid, reliable all-rounder for Apple

Considering the various issues that Apple have contended with over the recent years, the iPhone 5S seems to be robust, strong and not suffering from the same signal issues of previous iPhones. As with any smart phone, it has its flaws but it's a step in the right direction for a company previously so much at the cutting edge of technology. The iPhone 5S provides excellent display characteristics alongside a good camera, relatively reliable processor - it's a good all rounder although, if you're looking for something specific, it may not be the ideal choice for you. For instance, for a gaming phone, others may be better, and the same can be said for camera etc. However, the iPhone 5S does provide a good quality of everything which makes it a good smartphone choice for many people.
      As with any iPhones, the battery can drain rather quickly, although charging time is fairly rapid also and, having been using mine personally for 18 months, it still holds the same amount of charge that it did when new. Battery degradation over time does not seem to be such an issue. Equally, the processor being used significantly can result in the phone becoming very hot, such as when using GPS. This can be alarming but seems simply to be par for the course for iPhones.

The iPhone 5S is perhaps less aesthetic than the 5C but is of a higher specification and provides a good, reliable all-round phone - a success, then, for Apple.

03.06.2015 22:31

Advantages

• compacts
      • comfortable

Disadvantages

• "small hole under handle"
      • "no disadvantages"

The best car seat ever!

This is for my grand daughter, we keep losing car booster seats as they go off in other cars from time to time as domestic life can be chaotic with several little ones to care for. I am pleased with the Graco Sweet Princess, the pink foam cushion is comfortable and easy to remove for laundering, the seat itself has a little extra interest with the pull out trays for drinks and treasures, be sure to check them out though or something may moulder away inside from one trip to the next!
      The small cups that you can pull out are very handy as you can put things in them but as mentioned before beware as mould builds up if not removed. The only problem that I have ever had with this seat is that the small holes under the arm rest are very small and when you pluck them they make noises. My grand-daughter got her finger stuck in it.
      The cushion is very comfortable and it is made out of a thin layer of foam that is attached to the seat by a string this also sometimes gets frustrating.I also had bought a back for this from mothercare in about 20010 o i do not know if it is still availible. It is also very small but still provides enough space for the child until they are older. It can easily fit 3 boosters in a 3 seat back unlike other boosters in which out struggle to put even 2!
      I would strongly recommend this as it is the best booster i have ever seen!

• TomTom Start 25 M / GPS Sat Nav / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      03.06.2015 22:19

Advantages

• suction

Disadvantages

• "no live traffic"

A good satnav but it doesnt have live traffic

I have always been with the company of tom tom in terms of satnavs. However this one in particular has impressed me its unique bold design with the large 5 inch screen that is always bright as long as you keep it plugged in. The satnav is very clear when it talks making it easy to understand and it doesn't say a ton of instructions like google navigation systems do it says things clearly and you can change the accent if you want to. The Australian one is pretty good as it gives additional comments that always keep you occupied e.g. rather than the boring original ' you have reached your destination ' it says' mike put on your sunglasses and make sure the seagulls don't steal your chips'. It also has the large powerful suction that makes it has fixed the problem of the satnav keeping on falling off the screen and frightening you. It has a easy suction proccess meaning that you are ready to go in a matter of seconds and that it will not fall off. The instructions that it says are loud and clear and makes sure that you understand. It recalculates faster than any satnav I have known and is always willing to help out. It is reliable and you can trust it to not turn of in the middle of the journey. I have had this for a very long time and i will definatley recommend this to anyone else as it is worth the price tag.
      Please dont forget to rate and nominate me for the crown if you liked it.

03.06.2015 21:15

Advantages

• "Gentle but effective"

Disadvantages

Removes eye make up in an instant

I like Clarins products and have always found them to be good quality and as you don't need to use much they last a long time. I do sometimes use wipes but find that a proper make up remover like this one removes my make up quickly and easily. This 125ml bottle currently costs £17.50 but I managed to get it on offer for £12.00 online. It is a dual action formula whilst still being gentle and it conditions your skin as well as cleansing. The bottle is clear plastic so you can clearly see how much liquid is left and it displays the usual ingredients, contact details and instructions for use.

To use I will tip the bottle onto a cleansing pad or ball of cotton wool and then wipe it gently over my eye area. I find that I don't have to apply much pressure as the liquid seems to do the work removing my make up including liquid eye liner and waterproof mascara. I find that I only have to use a small amount and it seems to spread out so it really is good value and also it doesn't leave any smudges or little bits of mascara like some others I have used. It does have an oily feel when you apply it and I find that I need to wipe it off completely otherwise it can leave an oily film on my skin but you only need to wipe the area with a clean part of the pad or cotton wool and it comes off easily. It is fragrance free and is suitable for sensitive skin and I have always found it to be very gentle leaving my skin feeling soft and smooth.

I do really like this eye make up remover and will always buy one when I have a voucher even if I have one on the go as it lasts a long time and it does a very good job of removing my make up leaving my skin feeling clean and fresh. When I use this product I never find any traces of make up on my pillow in the morning or underneath my eyes, so this is definitely recommended by me and well deserves five stars.

03.06.2015 21:02

Advantages

• "Comfortable to wear"

Versatile jogging trousers

I live in jogging bottoms in the house and I find them very comfortable to wear and you can pick them up very cheap, like these Black Adidas joggers I bought from Sports Direct for just £9.00. They had them in black and grey but I chose black as I prefer darker ones as they don't show so many marks. They were available in sizes 8 to 24 so they will fit absolutely any shape or size. They have the three Adidas stripes down the side in red which contrasts with the black. These are 31 inches long but they also come in 29 and 33 inches to suit your body shape and length.

I am not sure if the length differs with the different sizes but mine are a perfect length for me, however I am on the small side so if you are very tall they may not be long enough. They have an elasticated waist so are very forgiving if you have eaten a big meal. Also as I always sit curled up on the sofa they don't dig into my waist at all and you can relax in them comfortably.

I will wash them with a dark wash on 30 degrees which is what I always use but you can wash them at 40 degrees if you need to. I have washed these joggers numerous times and they have not shown any signs of wear or tear and the colour has not faded. When I have worn them for a few days the knees do get a little bit saggy but they seem to go back to their original shape when I wash them. I will hang them on the clothes airer or the washing line to dry and have not tumble dried them even though you can, as I wouldn't want to risk shrinking them, but they do dry quickly and they don't need ironing.

I probably wouldn't go out wearing these but for wearing around the house they are great and I wouldn't be without my joggers. At £9 a pair they are excellent value and are well made. Adidas make very good quality clothing and these are no exception so I recommend them and give them five out of five stars.

03.06.2015 20:36

Advantages

• "not too harsh"
      • works

Disadvantages

• "expensive at full price"

simply wiped

Not perfumed, not coloured just kind - or so their adverts used to say.

These are the latest load of cleansing wipes I have bought as they were on offer in my local co-op for £2.14. I do like having a pack of cleansing wipes on the go not only to cleanse my skin but sometimes my face just needs a bit of a freshen up during the day and I find this type of wipe to be ideal. The pack contains 25 wipes and each one is about the same size as a smallish tissue. They are strong enough so they don't drop to bits as you start using them but also soft on my skin. The pack is resealable so that the don't dry out.

The wipes are more than moist I'd call them quite damp and I do find they leave my skin slightly wet after using them although my skin does dry quite quickly. They do a good job of removing traces of oil from my skin without drying out my slightly oily T-zone and there is no residue left on my skin from the wipes nor is there any stinging or tightening sensation which other wipes can cause.

The label states that the wipes will remove waterproof mascara, now as I don't ware mascara - or any other make up for that matter (no, honest, I don't) I can not confirm or deny this also that they are suitable for sensitive skin.

One advantages are that the wipes contain no animal derived ingredients but they do contain methyl and propylparaben and I know some people prefer not to use products that contain these chemicals as they can cause allergic reactions with some people. On the back of the packet it says that the wipes are good for 6 months after the packet is first opened but a packet doesn't last that long so it isn't an issue for me.

• Dr.Hauschka Body Powder / Dr. Hauschka / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      03.06.2015 20:32

Advantages

• "Cools and soothes skin"

Refreshing and absorbent

Although it is probably considered to be quite old fashioned these days I have always liked talcum powder and use it regularly. I use it after having a bath or shower and find that although it doesn’t moisturise it does make my skin feel soft and silky and I also use it if I am feeling a bit warm as it really does give you a feeling of coolness when you rub it in and it can prevent you from sweating too much.

This Dr Hauschka talcum powder comes in a white tin and is 200g and you can pick it up for around £6 to £8. It has a very light floral almost sweet fragrance which leaves a lovely light scent on my skin. The holes in the cap are fairly small so that the talc comes out fairly evenly when you shake it and you seem to get the right amount with each shake. As with all talcum powder it doesn't always go exactly where you want it to so I will usually use it in the bathroom which has a cream floor covering as if I use it in the bedroom I sometimes get flecks of the talc on the light brown carpet.

The talc is the usual white colour and a very fine powdery texture and it rubs in quickly and easily on my skin. I find that I get the best results from this talc when I have just had a bath or shower as it seems to absorb well when my skin is still warm. It also makes my skin feel smooth and soft and I find that my clothes slip on easily.

To use I will either sprinkle a small amount into my hands and then rub it gently over my body, or alternatively I use a large powder puff which can be a bit more messy but it does seem to distribute the talc more evenly than using my hands. I will sometimes sprinkle a bit into my shoes as I think it helps to keep them feeling fresh during the day. If my feet are particularly hot if when I put my feet back in my shoes after sprinkling the talc in they do feel quite cool and comfortable.

I know that talc isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I have always used it and I like the way it makes my skin feel. I do like the subtle fresh smell of this Dr Hauschka talc and I would definitely buy it again.

• Wii Sports (Wii) / Nintendo Wii Game / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings

Advantages

Disadvantages

Wii Sports

With the Wii I bought the game Wii Sports. The game is available at Amazon without console.

The games you can play with up to 4 players. There are 5 different games.

Baseball is played with two players. One player is the pitcher, the other is the batter.

The second game is bowling. Here is controlled using the control crosses the bowling ball.

For boxes you need the Nunchuk. The aim is the enemy K.O. to hew. A disadvantage of boxes is that the beats are often not recognized.

Also play golf is possible. There are 9 different holes, 3 per difficulty level.

Tennis is the name of the last game. On the field, there are 4 players. If you play alone, as the other 3 players are automatic Miis.

You can also exercising. For the above mentioned games, there are challenges in which you can play for a medal.

The game is very simple, the menu is laid out.

In Wii Sports, it is advisable not to give away if it does not work out the way you want it. Otherwise, the game is very nice with a couple of players makes it twice as much as myself.

I have often played this game with friends and alone, and it has of course proved that it is more fun with more players, but it is also true that the small selection of games can be very boring quickly.

All in all I can only recommend this game. Anyone expecting a larger game selection, better consult with the Wii game 'Wii Party'.

Advantages

Disadvantages

Chanel BLEU DE CHANEL Eau de Toilette

The Chanel BLEU DE CHANEL Eau de Toilette is available from GBP 48.00.

The Eau de Toilette comes in a rectangular glass bottle with a dark cap. On the glass bottle is the product name. It contains 50 ml.

The Eau de Toilette is described as follows. "A spectacular scenario. An unexpected masculine spirit. BLEU DE CHANEL embodies a tribute to masculine freedom. Composed by Jacques Polge, the Creator of CHANEL Fragrances, BLEU DE CHANEL reveals itself in three acts. Its enigmatic blue defies definition. Too blue to be black, too black to be blue. A bottle of dense, solid glass which blends authority with elegance. One of a kind, unlike anything else."

The Eau de Toilette is fresh with a woody scent. An intensive, fresh citrus scent can be noticed. A soft, woody scent can be perceived after that. Followed by the scent of frankincense and ginger. The Eau de Toilette is not too intensive, the fragrance is not too overpowering. The intensity is moderate. The main accords are fresh and aromatic.

The top note is made up of citrus accords, vetiver and pink pepper. Followed by the middle note, consisting of grapefruit, dry cedar notes and labdanum. The base notes are frankincense, ginger and sandalwood.

The Eau de Toilette is long-lasting and the scent can be noticed up to 8 hours. The longevity is long-lasting.

I can recommend the Chanel BLEU DE CHANEL Eau de Toilette, as it is a long-lasting fragrance with a fresh scent. The Eau de Toilette is not too intensive.

03.06.2015 20:13

Advantages

• " nourishing and hydrating "
      • " good texture"
      • "Lovely smell"

Disadvantages

• "None "

Simply delicious

I love all of the Weleda products I have used and none of them have really disappointed me so far. One thing I really do love (and which I got as part of a gift set) is the Citrus Hydrating Body Lotion. I had a very small bottle of this but I do know that if I were to buy my own bottle it would cost me in the region of £12 for a 200ml bottle. Prices for Weleda products may be very slightly higher than some of the skin products I use, but I find that they quality is second to none and the products are really excellent for my skin.

This body lotion comes in a vibrant green and white plastic bottle and the lotion itself was not as thick as I remember thinking it was going to be. It wasn’t runny at all, but it was certainly not as creamy as I had anticipated.

The best thing by far abut this product is the simply gorgeous smell it has. It is easily applied to the skin, it sinks in rapidly and it is light in texture and very easily absorbed by the skin. It does not leave the skin feeling greasy at all afterwards ad it does wonders for those very dry areas of the body. It makes a great base for user fake tan and it nourishes and hydrates the skin for hours after application.

The fragrance also lasts for ages and it is light and fruity in fragrance and it has a really tropical summery smell to it, which I adore.

Overall, I cannot really fault this wonderful body lotion. I love it and I really do recommend it.

• La Mer The Concentrate / La Mer / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      03.06.2015 20:01

Advantages

• quality
      • healing

Disadvantages

• expensive

The healing process is amazing!

I started using La Mer products when I spent 3 years in the US. Their products are very luxury and the quality is absolutely amazing. But you pay a rocking price for the quality as well.

Little bit about La Mer brand:
      Crème de la Mer is Estée Lauder's signature product. It is a moisturizing cream containing fermented kelp. The product was originally developed by Max Huber who was a physicist for NASA to treat his severe chemical burns which he sustained in an accidental explosion during an experiment.

My experience with La Mer The Concentrate:
      I just found a receipt when I firstly purchased La Mer concentrate and it was whooping $425, which is equivalent to about £300. I was on cosmetic laser surgery for removing spots for my face and was searching for a serum which would speed up and help the healing process. After using the concentrate for few weeks my skin feels amazingly hydrated, soothed, and radiant each time I massage this on my face and neck. The little scars began to shade and my skin seemed to be healthy and fresh again. The healing ability of this product is amazing, it make my pores and little wrinkles nearly invisible.
      This is one from the best products La Mer offers. Sadly I cannot find it on the UK market but I am planning to order a new bottle from US market.
      I definitely recommend this Concentrate - quality and healing, it offers the best combination of factors possible!

03.06.2015 19:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun Soothing Hydrating Lotion

The Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun Soothing Hydrating Lotion is available for GBP 5.50.

The lotion is described as follows. "This soothing hydrating lotion is specially developed to soothe and nourish skin that feels dehydrated after sun exposure. After exposure to the sun, your skin needs to be intensely hydrated. The combined effect of UV rays, drying air and overheating combine to leave your skin in need of hydration and soothing. Keeping your sun-exposed skin well-hydrated will help keep it feeling comfortable."

The ingredients are Aqua / Water, Paraffinum Liquidum / Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter / Shea Butter, PEG-100 Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Dimethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Limonene, Xanthan Gum, Zinc Gluconate, Linalool, Aloe Barbadensis / Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Carbomer, Farnesol, Geraniol, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Citronellol, Citral and Parfum / Fragrance.

The consistency is neither too tight nor too runny. They can compare the consistency of a rich body lotion. This lotion is used after sunbathing to return the skin the moisture it has lost because of the sunlight. This may very well this lotion. It supplies the skin with moisture and cools the skin. The lotion leaves a fresh feeling on the skin. The lotion absorbs quickly into the skin and it is pleasantly smooth. Such care properties has some body lotion and then not. In combination with this great fragrance

• UNO (Xbox 360) / Xbox 360 Game / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      03.06.2015 19:29

Advantages

• "Simple to play"
      • "Simple to learn"

Disadvantages

• "Tedious music"

Uno, dos, trés!

This is a one-player game against 3 AI opponents. The game is played with the phone or tablet on its side to allow a bigger screen. There is sadly no online multi-player with this game. When a player plays a card let's say the person before you plays the red 2, your options (if you have them) are to play another red number, a 2 of any colour, a red Draw 2, reverse or skip card or either of the wild cards. There are two modes, either quick play or tournament. Quick play allows a straight forward game of Uno, on either Easy, Normal or Hard difficulty with the winner being the first to get a score of 250. I'm not going to pretend to under the scoring system, I just played and one the first round there and got 94 points. According to the hints screen which came up you get 20 points for each action card, 50 for the wild cards and the number cards are scored at their numerical value. The other mode is tournament mode which gives you fifteen different rounds with varying rules. In each you have to get the highest score within 5 rounds to progress. I completed this on easy without losing a round... There is also a custom mode option which allows you to choose from the following options:
      Difficulty - Easy, Normal, Hard
      Game Mode - Standard, Duel
      Scoring Type - 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000
      Penalties - Cumulative, Standard

We open with a screen saying Uno, showing some cards and playing a tedious computerised beeping tune. In game, you get a sound when you flick a card into the middle, but have another irritating beeping tune in the background. Luckily there is something on your device called a volume control, this if you wish to retain your sanity will be switched to mute.

Graphics

Fairly basic naturally, but it's nice and colourful and the game is clear and fun to play. The touch screen controls are fairly well designed and you can touch a card to enlarge it allowing you to flick the card you wish into the centre more easily. A nice touch and the big "CHALLENGE UNO" button gives you a chance to catch out your opponents if the AI makes a mistake!

Would I recommend Uno?

It's a straight forward game and will pass the time on the train or at the back of a lecture hall. There's not really any limits to how long you can play this for, yes the tournament mode is kind of a one-off thing, but you can play games on different difficulties until you truly master the game. This is one of the most expensive games I've bought on this device, but I think it was on sale at £1.99, I can't remember what from.

*Also found on Ciao*

03.06.2015 19:26

Advantages

• "Works well"
      • Purple
      • Cheap
      • "Looks good"

Disadvantages

• "Small filler beaker"

Make ironing a breeze!

I love this iron simply because it is a nice see-through purple colour and looks very stylish compared with most irons available on the British market. The shiny stainless steel sole-plate looks good and will hopefully keep the iron in good condition for years to come if well maintained. The cord is well insulated and flexible and it feels good to operate, weighing in at only 1.5 kg. Size wise it is quite small and easy to store at only 29.5 cm x 15.2 cm x 13 cm, so it takes up roughly the same space as a big tub of paint.

It is also a very powerful iron with a power of 2000 Watts allowing it to iron effectively in no time at all, especially aided by the constant steam produced by the power steam shot function.

Care

I always ensure that I empty the water out of the iron as my last one got all furry as a result of leaving water in it, however this iron has a self-cleaning mechanism to prevent build-up. I have had this iron for nearly a year and it looks pristine despite my mother leaving it face down on the ironing board (thinking it was unplugged) and destroying a new ironing board cover.

Guarantee

There is obviously the standard 1 year guarantee on electrical products, but this can be extended to 3 years by registering the iron with Morphy Richards through their website http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/.

Disposal

As with all WEEE products, this iron should be taken to your local civic amenity site for disposal and should not be placed in the general waste to go to landfill.

Cost

This iron is available on the Morphy Richards website for £19.99 with free shipping, or on Amazon.co.uk through Cochranes Of Ayr for £32.99 (again with free shipping, although at that price I'd want it hand delivered by Mr Cochrane himself). I personally paid around £30, but I bought it down the town in my local Euronics shop which tends to be a bit dearer, purely out of convenience at the time.

The iron also comes with a small plastic water bottle (or filler beaker as the instruction book calls it) to fill up the water compartment, however I find this to be a bit dainty and use the larger one from my old iron.

Would I recommend the Morphy Richards 40420 Breeze?

If you can get it online for £19.99 I would certainly be purchasing one, it's a great wee iron and will do you well. Grab yourself a bargain!

*Can also be found on Ciao*

• Hotpoint TCM580P / Tumble Dryer / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      03.06.2015 19:24

Advantages

• "8kg capacity"
      • Condenser

Disadvantages

• "None really"

Just what is the Hotpoint?

Now I have the HOTPOINT Aquarius TCM580P Condenser Tumble Dryer, but Ciao rejected a new product for this and told me to put it here which is why my picture is a bit different to the one in the stock picture.
      My machine is entirely white which I think looks considerably better than the silver/black monstrosity shown above.

The machine was actually surprisingly light, and as you may see from my photograph it is stored above my dishwasher so it was able to be lifted by one person several feet off the ground. Its dimensions are relatively standard at 85 cm x 59.5 cm x 58.4 cm which should allow it to fit under most standard work surfaces.
      The dryer is filled via the front door which opens from the right and will open to almost a 180° angle to the left of the machine which allows for easy access, and it won't swing back allowing you to get the wet clothes into the dryer unimpeded.

After you have loaded the machine with your desired amount of wet clothes / towels, etc, you simply close the door and use the dial in the top right hand corner to select the time required. I don't do any of this separation nonsense for whites, colours, cottons, polyesters so it all goes in. Nothing ever shrinks, the only thing I don't dry in this machine is wool which goes over the radiator in the hall. For a full load I generally stick it in for 80 minutes, although the dial goes up 160 minutes. There are also two temperature settings, the highly inventive "high" or "low". I always have it on high. There is no digital display for this machine, but a dial is more than sufficient for the purposes of drying your clothes.

At the time when I bought this machine it cost £299.99 with 6 months interest free credit to allow me to pay it up. They also charged £20 to take the old one away but it saves any hassle as it was completely knackered!
      You can currently buy this machine for £199.99 at Curry's, or there is currently a reconditioned one available on eBay for £119.99 (really useful collection in Dover only). Just buy a new one and get it delivered for the sake of that risky hassle!

*Can also be found in full on Ciao*

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown