• ICS Learn / Profession / Occupation / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 14:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

• Everything

Avoid

Avoid- complete rubbish!

Refused outright a request for change in course Mentor even though he had been away since the start of the course, unavailable, given contradictory information, sent the wrong information, and been generally complete rubbish.

Also contradictory/ confusing information on course structure and workshops etc. Generally rubbish.

Would definitely go with a different course provider if I could get my fees back!

Avoid!!!

02.09.2014 14:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

Helps fade blemishes

My skin can be quite bad and I have been looking for a product that can actually clear the blemishes on my skin up, rather than just a product that cleans your skin.

I chose this as I know that tea tree is excellent for your skin and the bottle indicated that it would be suitable for blemished skin, so I knew that this product was for me.

I use this product every morning and it is a perfect wake me up for my skin. The consistency of the face wash is a runny gel type liquid and it is really simple and easy to apply. I just apply it to my face, with a little bit of water to create a lather, and in gentle circular motions rub it in to my face. It is really gentle on your skin, which is great for me as I have sensitive skin. And when you wash it off you get a nice tingly feeling which really wakes up your skin, making it look super fresh which is perfect to help you look awake in the mornings.

This product cost me £5.00, which for a face wash may seem a lot but for the quality you are getting it is actually really great. The bottle is a good size and it is not like you will get through it straight away, so you really are getting your moneys worth on durability.

I love this product and would seriously recommend it as it helps fade blemishes.

02.09.2014 14:07

Advantages

• "Works really well"
      • "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

A brilliant product! Will be recommending it to friends

A few months ago I had some salon fake tanning done for my wedding. I was really pleased with the results. I now have another wedding to attend – this time as a guest! After being so impressed with my previous fake tan I started looking into whether I could do this myself at home rather than visiting a salon and getting virtually naked in front of someone else!

I did quite a bit of research before buying any fake tan. I asked friends and looked at what is available online. I decided on Fakebake because it is a well-known brand and to me it came across as a quality trusted item despite it now being the cheapest.

I bought this Fakebake from Amazon at just less than £10 which I think is a bargain compared to other places I have seen it for sale. The instructions are clear and it is easy to use.

You put on the blue plastic gloves that are provided and then put the mitten over one of your hands. You spray the fake tan on the smooth brown side of the mitten. I used about 3 squirts at a time on the mitten and this seemed to work well. The fake tan applied really well. It is smooth and easy to apply.

It is recommended that you put this fake tan on in the evening and wash off in the evening. Not a lot washes off the next day so you get a good idea of what your tan will look like straight away.

It smells lovely. At first I thought it was a tropical smell but then the biscuit smell seems to come out.

I love this product! It gives a really natural streak free tan and it’s really simple to use!

02.09.2014 12:20

Advantages

• "Looks nice"

Rommel foundation

I cannot speak highly enough of this foundation and the results I can achieve my using it. Its one of the best I have tried at that price point and the nice thing is that you can use it with other brands of make ip afterwards in terms of powder, blusher etc and they all work really well gether to give me a flawless look.t

Rimmel say that, " this is the first transfer-resistant foundation that lasts up to 25 hours, Rimmel Lasting Finish. It gives a smooth lightweight coverage and the Lasting Finish 25 Hour foundation leaves skin feeling hydrated all day.The transfer proof and fade proof formula means your foundation now lasts up to 25 hours, for a day that never stops." I'm not yoing engh any more to be able to stay up and party for 25 hours so I haven't exactly tested the 25 hoir claim but I have to say that when I wear it for the whole day, 8 hoirs plis, it definitely stands the test if time and still looks in place and not rubbed off or tired in any way.

The foundation comes in a bottle and is easy to apply. I don't actually use very much at all so have never had a problem with it coming off or transfering onto my clothes anyway but its nice to know that this is part if the formula. I chose the natural beige colour as this is probably closest to my skin tone but there are 6 other shades to choose from in various shades of beige.

The foundation goes on really smoothly and covers quite a fww of my imperfections inclduing some red lines on the base of my nose and really gives my skin a nice even look. The foundation seems to sort of soak in and gives the illusion of there being nothing there which is nice. It is not chalky or thixk, its fairly light and lets my skin breathe too which is very important. Thankfully it does not clog my pores either so when I take it off at the end of the day I am still left with really nice, clean skin.

A bottle costs just £7.99 which I think is a great price for a hard working, good quality foundation and one I definitely recommend.

02.09.2014 12:07

Advantages

• "Good for edge of nails"

Disadvantages

• Messy
      • "Requires a bit of effort"
      • "Very wet"

Puny pads

I first tried Boots Nail Polish Remover Pads years and years ago, I think my mum bought them for me. I’ve bought them on and off over the years - if I’m buying nail polish remover, sometimes I’ll see these and decide to get them instead, thinking they’re more convenient than remover and cotton wool.

The nail polish remover pads come in a small tub, and are the size of an average cotton wool pad. There are 15 pads in a tub, current price is £1.50.

When you open the tub, you get a whiff of that unmistakable chemical smell of nail polish remover - unpleasant, but par for the course. I find the wipes themselves to be really quite damp, they are properly soaked in remover. They also seem very thin, certainly thinner than the average cotton wool pad.

This thinness is, I believe, a contributing factor to why I’m not very keen on these pads. I find they aren’t particularly effective. I’m sure products like this are meant to be easy to use and will wipe nail polish off with little effort, but frankly I find that a good deal of rubbing is involved - and not just with these pads, but with standard nail polish remover on cotton wool as well. However, if I compare these pads to other alternatives that I have used, I think they need more effort than nail polish on cotton wool. I think that the thicker cotton wool enables you to rub your nails more effectively, therefore getting the polish off more easily. The nail polish remover pads do work, they do remove nail polish, but not as easily as you might hope.

Additionally, I find that as these pads are really quite wet, they tend to be messier than cotton wool - the polish which is removed gets spread around on the pad, and my fingertips end up coloured by it.

The pads are labelled as “conditioning”. I don’t think they make any difference to the condition of my nails at all - compared to standard nail polish remover that is. My nails after using either product are in the same condition.

I should point out though that these pads make it easier to get at the nail polish right on the edges of my nails easier than cotton wool, because they are thinner.

A bottle of nail polish remover used with a few bits of cotton wool is considerably more economical than these pads, and generally more effective as well. Every so often I buy these pads - and then remember that although they sound like an easy way of removing nail polish, they’re actually not that brilliant. Maybe now that I have collected my thoughts for this review, I’ll remember not to buy them next time.

• Legend - Marie Lu / Fiction Book / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      02.09.2014 10:45

Advantages

• "great read"

Disadvantages

• none

Full of secrets, action and suspense

I had heard many good things about Marie Lu and was really looking forward to reading her debut novel Legend which, I’m pleased to say was totally amazing. Despite not being quite what I thought it would be – it really was a fantastic read with plenty of action, drama and intrigue and just a dash of romance thrown in.

The story is about two teenagers who live in a dystopian world where the military and republic rule America under a tyrannical thumb. Born on two opposite sides of the track, fifteen year old June is an exceptional prodigy of a military family and an up and coming star among the republic. However living in perfect contrast to June’s world is Day, a notorious criminal who does his best to help the poor while scraping by on life himself.

But when June’s brother is found murdered and Day labelled the number one suspect – the two of them suddenly find their lives entangled together in a web of deceit, death and intrigue. But what they both don’t know is that they have a common enemy… and only by working together do they stand a chance of surviving against the deadly plots laid down for them by the republic…

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Told from the dual perspectives of both June and Day the reader is given a very clear view of what it is like to live in a world ravaged by the republic – both from a military and criminal viewpoint. It was also great to read how despite their completely different upbringings, both Day and June where driven and manipulated through their feelings and empathy towards people in need.

As a main character June was intelligent, strong willed and (despite being inside her head) often hard to read. However while this could be a little frustrating it prolonged the suspense of what would happen next and of how June would react to the next situation thrown at her.

Day on the other hand was very straightforward. Motivated into action by the love and protection he felt towards his family, he has a kind heart and unlike June – he was right all along in thinking the republic was evil and tyrannical. He’s also a pretty bad ass character and capable of causing some serious damage. The relationship that develops between him and June is sweet but they have yet to reach the stage where they work well as a couple. I’m hoping the romance will develop more in the next book and that these characters will get a chance to develop their feelings more.

Otherwise the plot was fantastic and moved at a nice pace. The setting was interesting and described in such a way that it felt very real and the writing itself was brilliant. Full of secrets, action and suspense Legend was a really good read and I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel. 4 Stars!

• Benefit Benetint / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 06:01

Advantages

• "smells great"
      • "long lasting"

Disadvantages

• cleanliness
      • "difficult to use"
      • color
      • price

This is an okay product, not worth the cost.

After trying The Porefessional product from benefit I just had to try out another product and I am not as happy with the Benetint. Although the product isn't horrible, I do not feel it is worth the amount of money. There are similar products for a lot less that are comparable.

The problem I faced with this product is the packaging. It comes in a little bottle with a brush that comes out of the top kind of like a nail polish bottle. You are supposed to brush it onto the area of skin that you want the product to go and then blend it with a brush, sponge, or your fingers. I am not a fan of the brush applicator because after using it so often the brush collects bacteria and can actually cause break outs wherever it has touched skin. I also don't like how if blended with fingertips the product stains (Yes I know that's what it supposed to do, but it doesn't blend well with a brush or sponge) If you can manage to get the product applied to your hearts content, then yes. The product will stay in place all day long without smudging or fading. I have an olive skin tone and the color that is available in this product is not great for my skin color. I don't think it looks good with all skin types.

• Benefit POREfessionally Pretty Kit / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 05:55

Advantages

• "moisturizing "
      • "leaves skin smooth"
      • "doesn't leave face shiny "
      • "doesn't cause break outs "
      • "smells great"
      • "great for all skin types"
      • "holds makeup in place"
      • "minimizes pores"
      • "erases imperfections"

Disadvantages

• price

Holds makeup in place all day, hides imperfections, and improves skin health.

As a reference, my skin is very oily in some areas, but severely dry in other areas. Oftentimes when I apply any makeup or product to my skin I break out and get red itchy patches all over my face. I have seen to many rave reviews and friends happily using this product that I just had to try it. Yes, the cost is a little higher, but the payout is also worth so much more than you actually pay.

I felt a little let down when I realized how small the tube that holds the product is, but I was reassured when I realized how little product is actually needed to get the job done. Just a small dab of this product goes a long way. The consistency begins as a moisturizer type product, but once rubbed into skin it turns silky and very soft. The wonderful thing about this product is that it does not make my oily skin areas extra oily, but hides oils instead. It also moisturizes and flattens any dry irritable skin areas so my face does not look flaky. With this product as a base I have been able to use concealer and foundation when before this product, I have been unable to. On a side note, hot temperatures do not stop this product from doing it's duty flawlessly!

I have been using this product for about half a year and I will repurchase it for the rest of my life. It holds my makeup in place literally all day, hides all imperfections, and actually improves my skins health. It smells pleasant and doesn't leave skin feeling like it has been caked with makeup.

02.09.2014 05:00

Advantages

• "Not especially bulky"
      • "Qi compatible"

Disadvantages

• "The official wireless charger can be difficult to line up by feel"
      • "Stiff buttons at first"

Great balance between comfort and security.

The official Nexus 5 case from LG is a great all-around case with one issue that went away after some regular use. If you utilize wireless charging for your phone, you already know that many cases will be just too much. This case gives you about as much protection as you can while still keeping that function. It’s got a great soft feeling in your hand (sort of velvet-like), it widens significantly around the back, which helps to keep you from dropping it. The only real issue I had when I first put it on (besides getting used to suddenly having a larger phone) was the buttons. The case didn’t have very much give over the buttons at first, which led to a bit of annoyance every time I went to turn my screen on. Luckily, after a month I noticed the buttons started to give a bit more and balance was restored to the universe. I use both the official wireless charger and a cheap charger I found online. If you rely on the magnets of the official charger to line up your phone to charge overnight, you may have a bit of trouble. The magnets are of course weakened by being further apart, but by no means are they not functional. You may notice the phone can get held in a spot that won’t actually charge. Not exactly a problem with the case, just something to be aware of. Overall this is a great case that I don’t mind having on my phone.

• Nescafe Cappuccino / Coffee / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      02.09.2014 00:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

• Rubbish

We have all decided to stop buying Nescafé until they bring back the old recipe

I've stopped buying this product which is advertised as new Cappucino (or that's what Nescafé wish us to call it). My staff and I looked forward to our daily coffee break with our Nescafé cappuccinos but someone in Nescafé decided to change the recipe and now it's rubbish. Big mistake by the number of people I have talked to.

• The Paradise / TV Series / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:46

Advantages

• mystery
      • "denise and moray"
      • "lavish sets"

Disadvantages

• none

A somewhat overlooked gem!

The Paradise is a stunning BBC period drama based on the novel by Emile Zola. The first thing you notice in this series is the sumptious lavish feel to the sets and the period clothing. It is about a department store and the fortunes of its flamboyant owner John Moray. Our main character however is Denise, a young girl who is given the position of ladieswear assistant within the store. Denise dreams of one day running her own store and her ideas are quick to be shot down by the somewhat snooty head of ladieswear (brilliantly played by Sarah Lancashire) who firmly reminds her of her position in the store! John Moray however begins to notice Denise, and her ideas for the store much to the annoyance of other staff. As their friendship establishes it also attracts the displeasure of Moray's fiance!
      Throughout this though Moray remains troubled and viewers are left guessing why? There are lots of questions to be answered. Why does the seemingly sinister Jonas have such a position of power in the store? What does he write in his black book? And more importantly what really happened to Moray's wife?
      The relationship of Denise and Moray in this series is very much a will they or wont they get together and for this reason this somewhat overlooked gem of a series is well worth a buy if you enjoy romantic dramas. In saying that there are enough side stories in the series to make it appealing to a wider audience and I would recommend it heartily.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:31

Advantages

• "Great to get free Xbox games with Windows 8.1"
      • "Good Graphics"
      • Fast

Disadvantages

Great product backed up by a friendly, knowledgable and courteous team

Service was excellent: the helpline assisted me in placing an urgent order to hit a birthday deadline, then (after finding that the graphics card was regrettably out of stock) contacted me to discuss options for meeting the deadline. Both helpdesk and email contact was clear and polite.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:06

Advantages

• "Excellent overall service"
      • "Flexible build options "
      • "Fast delivery"
      • "Quick build time "
      • "Updates with PC build"
      • "Rasy to use website"

Disadvantages

Would highly recommend PC specialist to anyone wanting a customised PC.

PC specialist build top quality PC's. They allowed you to select from many option when customising your own PC, many more than other PC building web sites. They keep you updated when they are building your PC. Once you have the PC you can't go wrong, they provide you with knowledgeable information about how to look after if and what to do. They have a great after service as well.

01.09.2014 23:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good design idea, well thought over, but bad execution = bad device

I am predominantly a Mac user but had decided to give the Microsoft Surface a go as the idea of having a desktop on the go was extremely appealing to me. Furthermore, I needed Windows for a few of my apps and applications for work.

The Microsoft Surface was designed based on, what I gather, a very good ideology. Unfortunately the execution was just terribly bad.

The tablet is so slow, it reminds me of my days as a kid when my desktop would overheat and just refuses to respond to anything I tell it to do. My device had its first 'hang' just minutes after boot up, when I tried to load the News app.

Being able to flip the keyboard over and stand the screen was a very nice and convenient idea, this feature was very well thought over. Sadly the performance of the keyboard itself was so disappointing I now stick with the touch keyboard mostly.

On to the touch keyboard, the touch keyboard has its own moodswings. Sometimes it is so slow your words appear 20s after you've keyed it in, sometimes it comes out fast but all messed up even though you've hit the right keys.

Worst of all? The only browser it allows you to use is Internet Explorer. I mean, who even uses IE these days? It's slow, jerky and so in your face. Youtube's stage buffering doesn't work awfully well on it. I reserved this tablet for video viewing for a bit, but now the tablet's just sitting in the drawer - yes that one that you never open and all your little things go into.

01.09.2014 22:16

Advantages

• "Includes matching bedding"
      • Quality

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't fold"

Much loved dolls crib, well worth the price.

When purchasing the matching Pintoy highchair for my daughters birthday, I came across this crib which looked perfect. I was looking for something that would withstand toddler play and could be used for generations. There were many plastic alternatives, but this looked quality. With an RRP OF £41.99, I was hoping it would live up to my expectations.

The crib comes flat packed with clear instructions. It took about 15/20 minutes to construct and the whole process was painless. The quality of the wood was excellent.

The crib comes with a matching pillow and duvet cover, perfect for a toddler to play babies with. It has a side rocking motion and it is quite large so you can fit more than one doll at a time (daughter puts 3/4 in usually).

The crib stands low to the ground, so a toddler has to sit down the play with it. No big issue for my daughter, but worth noting.

A year later and we're very impressed with the crib! Its withstood my daughter sitting in it and is played with daily. The matching pillow and duvet cover have washed well and the wood has remained unchipped/unmarked. I would recommend the crib to anyone.

As expected, the crib doesn't fold so its bulky in that sense. However, we use it to store other soft toys and dolls when not in use.

Overall, its lived up to expectations and is worth the RRP. Very good quality, durable and fun. I'm sure we'll get many more years use out of it.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown