26.10.2014 09:34

Advantages

• "Work well on most pains"
      • "Easy to swallow"

Disadvantages

• "Not as fast acting as Nurofen"

A Cheaper Way To Bust A Headache

I've always bought the more expensive option of pain killers, not to be a snob but because I genuinely didn't think the amazingly cheap brands would be any good. I'm a Nurofen fan and have always used that brand in its various guises, but after watching an eye opening documentary a few months ago I've realised that for *most* pains the cheaper generic option will be as effective as its more expensive counterpart.

Galpharm Ibuprofen are a perfect example of this, they cost a minuscule 23p for a box of sixteen tablets with dosage instructions being the usual two tablets every 48 hours (and no more than eight in a day).

I've taken them for dental pain and headaches and have found them to be excellent, they work a little slower than Nurofen and this is noticeable mostly on headaches but once the pain killing effects kick in they're as strong and effective as any other Ibuprofen. I was expecting to have to top them up with paracetamol but haven't needed to so far - I might need to today though as they're not working wonderfully well on my pretty nasty hangover!

The tablets are easy to swallow as they're so small, I haven't had any side effects (and wouldn't expect to either based on my previous use of Ibuprofen) but the same rule applies as when you take any Ibuprofen medication - you must eat beforehand as they can be surprisingly dangerous if taken on an empty stomach.

I'll still buy Nurofen as my main reason for pain killers is usually that I have a headache, the slower action of these Galpharm tablets is a downside if a particularly nasty headache starts brewing but I think if you suffer with headaches you learn to recognise which tablets are most effect for different 'heads'.

I really can't recommend these enough, they've saved me a tonne of money since I discovered them and (unlike Tesco cheapie Ibuprofen) they work really well for me - most of the time.

26.10.2014 03:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good fun or complete confusion depending on the dog!

I find this review a little harder to write because I am not sure how much benefit to give the product or just how silly our dog is!

We have a male Cocker Spaniel called Alfie, my mates westie adored these she uploaded loads of videos of him jumping around trying to eat them that I thought they would be great fun and bought Alf some off Ebay last Christmas.

These really are just a version of the bubbles we all remember playing with as Children but flavoured and safe for dogs, most dogs adore chasing them and chomping at the flavoured bubbles. They come in a tube that looks like something more out of a chemist set than a dog toy, inside is a wand that you either drag through the air or blow through to create the bubbles. I can't remember what flavours I bought Alf but he was not bothered by any.

So back to Christmas day last year! I was so excited to try these out as our dog is so cute when playing, I opened these and although they were a little sticky I blew them around the room. Rather than chase after them he just stood and watched them land, no excitement, no jumping around, in fact he looked as if I was boring him!

I tried again and did get him to sniff at them and lick one but he got no more excited than that, we tried them outside where they went further but he paid less interest to them outside than inside.

We ended up just binning them after one leaked in his toy box.

They were not expensive at all however and if your lucky enough to have a dog that has an ounce of sense how to play with them then they are most certainly worth the value. This is where my issue over scoring comes because they are good but our dog just did not get them at all!

I paid about £2.00 for each of them on Ebay.

26.10.2014 02:48

Advantages

Disadvantages

Tough little toy but a bit basic does not do much

Alf has one of these, our previous dog was a terrier and adored a tug of war, so much so he would hold onto one of these and you could lift him up and spin him around and he would be wagging his tail like mad. We bought Alf one of these when he was about a year I think but being a different breed he is not really bothered with it at all. He does like a little game of more like tug than tug of war, because he is such a gentle dog he drops his end very easily. He does not chew it but does often carry it around in his mouth.

The toy is basically a very tough twisted cord rope that has been knotted at both ends. It is meant to be used as a chew toy but as I previously stated tends to be used as a tug of war toy in our home, non of ours have ever chewed them.

In my experience they do get pretty grubby, I do not know if its because of the types of dog we have had but these are one of their toys I prefer to stay outside, they tend to pick up soil and dirt so easily and since this ones been buried lots its also a bit smelly. I must admit I have never tried to clean it so I am not sure if it would stand a run through the washing machine.

He does enjoy carting this around and the odd game with it, our previous dog had his for years before doing much damage to it so I think they are very much worth the money.

I am not sure how much mess one of these would make if your dog did shred one however so I have dropped it one mark for that and the cleaning issues.

Other than that I would have no issues suggesting this as a good toy for most dogs but if they do not enjoy chewing or tug games I would avoid as it does very little else.

I think we got ours at Pets at Home of The Range, I do not remember how much but it appears to be going for £2.50 for the medium one (which ours is) online at Pets at Home.

26.10.2014 02:30

Advantages

• "helps teeth care"
      • "long lasting"

Disadvantages

• "can leave shavings when chewed too much"

Hours of healthy fun

Our current and last dog both love these, there are several different shapes but all go down equally as well.

I have never been a fan of feeding the dogs real bones, other than the fact I am not a fan of having bone marrow coming out on the carpets they can be smelly and sometimes break up. My auntie actually introduced us to these, she bought one for her poodle who was not keen so it got passed onto us and was adored.

They are basically a nylon bone shaped dog toy or chew depending on how you view it, both really. I will admit they feel very fake to the touch but non of our dogs has ever bothered with that, they adore them and chew at them like they are real bones or chews.

These ones are special because the treat is in the centre, a jerky flavouring that they appear to be very much desperate to get to!

This toy really does get chewed away and can leave little bits if you have a real chewer, however it's so good for their teeth, helping remove tatar and plaque that I really does not matter having to clean up the odd shavings off the toy.

These are very easy to wipe down too if you have a digger like we do who likes to bury and dig up his toys or bones! Conventional toys and bones can bring a lot of dirt into the house and are often hard to clean up but these just pop under the tap and clean really easily.

These come in a variety of sizes for different sized dogs and as such the cost varies, I think our last one cost me about £3.50 from Amazon.

I love these, they keep him busy for hours upon end, are really good for his teeth, pretty clean by standards of his toys and I do not need to worry about how many chews he has had that day when he has this instead.

I have not had any problems using these at all and have no issues giving them 5 out of 5.

26.10.2014 02:55

Advantages

• "does the job"

Disadvantages

• "scent "

Fab multi use product.

I think most of us know the brand Odor-Eaters, they are one of the leading brands in foot and shoe spays and insoles.

I have had many of these tins over the years and although I do try other brands I always come back, I would not say it is just because it is more effective for me but the fact that I can safely spray my feet and shoe with the same spray!

As someone who has hot feet they do end up sweating, in both summer and winter believe it or not. In the winter it tends to be my shoes that need the sprays, but during summer because I tend to be in open shoes I need to spray my feet which can mean having multiple sprays on the go, when I have this I can simply use the same one year around on both.

The foot and shoe spray comes in a bold blue tin with a plastic lid, this pops off and inside is a basic spray nozzle.

The front of the tin has the very distinct Odor-Eaters logo.

The spray has antibacterial properties which stop any odour from building up but also stops the foot from sweating as much keeping the foot and shoe dryer.

To use you simply hold the spray around 20cm away from the shoe or foot and spray evenly for 2-3 seconds, then leave to dry.

I have used this spray on many different coloured shoes including when wearing socks and never noticed any staining nor build up. The spray looks and feels like water on the skin.

The only thing I am not a massive fan of is the scent, its not nasty but its very chemical and makes me cough sometimes when I spray too much.

The spray is mild enough that is is suitable for all family members, I can confirm I have never had any side effects from using it.

It works really well and I can confirm that this does usually keep my feet nice and dry for several hours and odour free for even longer.

I bought my tin of this in our local supermarket but its available in most pharmacies and supermarkets, I have also bought it in a shoe store before.

The tin contains 150ML and sells between £3.50-£4.00

• Movicol Powder Sachets / Medicine / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      26.10.2014 02:23

Advantages

• works

Disadvantages

Work just not overly nice to take

I get suggested to take this by my Gastro, I suffer with IBS which can mean I end up with constipation but also several of my medications can cause it a little too. I get these sachets in a huge box of 30 sachets. The box is white with the lid at the top that opens upwards. There is a large red logo and what I think is meant to be a blue wave on the front of the box.

Inside the sachets are fastened together in pairs, there is a dotted line down the middle and you need to pull them apart. I loose track how often I try to do this and break the packing sending it going everywhere.

The sachets look a little like the box, with the same logo and image, they also have instructions about how many to take.

The dose is complicated, for adults for long term use they suggest is 1-2 sachets daily.
      For faecal impaction you can take up to 8 sachets and that these need to be taken within 6 hours. It suggests that you can mix all 8 in one go and store the mix in a jug within the fridge.

For children under 12 there is a half dose sachet and it is best to take direction from a doctor with regards to how many to take and when.

The one I have is just the plain packs, you open the sachet by simply tearing across the top. Inside is a white powder that you pour into your glass then add 1/2 a cup of water to the powder and mix.

I have found that it is best to wait about a minute after mixing because to start with the water remains cloudy but after it becomes clear again.

You simply drink the mixture down, there is a little bit of a taste to it but it is not too nasty. There is no scent at all that I have ever noticed. If you do struggle with the very mild taste you can add juice to taste.

I do not pay buy these they are on prescription however they appear to have a RRP of around £10 for the 30 sachets.

I find sorting the right dose of these can be hit or miss, most of the time I actually take half a sachet and build up. They do work though and I have not had any side effects from them. I have only given them 4 because I find getting the dose just right hard.

26.10.2014 02:10

Advantages

• " reasonably priced"
      • " leaves skin feeling clean and fresh"
      • "good quality"

Disadvantages

• "scent is not my favourite"

What Deep Space Smells Like

My husband often picks up Lynx shower gels during our weekly shop so I often find myself using them when I am showering.

This Lynx Deep Space shower gel is the shower gel that we are using at the minute.

Packaging
      It comes in a tall white bottle and it has a black lid. There is a blue design on the front of the bottle with some white twinkling stars.
      The bottle is semi-transparent so you can see how much of the product you have left.
      Other than the name of the product the front of the bottle is fairly plain.

Price and Availability
      This shower gel is available from Boots, Superdrug, Wilkinsons as well as most supermarkets.
      It costs around £2.50 for a 250ml bottle, but we bought it when it was on a half price or buy one get one free offer.

In Use
      The lid of the bottle is one where you push down and a little hole opens up and allows the product to be tipped out. It takes a little bit of effort, but I have never struggled to open it like I have with some flip cap lids and you don’t have to worry about breaking a nail.
      The shower gel is marketed towards men and my husband likes it.
      The scent is rather strong. It is quite spicy with a bit of an aquatic edge. It isn’t a warm, spicy scent at all. It actually reminds me of black pepper, but there is an aquatic note in it as well.
      I am not a big fan of the scent, but I don’t hate it so much that I can’t put up with it. It is a very masculine scent.
      The shower gel itself is a pearly white colour and it feels quite thick and creamy. It feels quite hydrating on my skin.
      Although the strong scent isn’t my favourite, it makes me feel nice and clean. The scent lingers on my skin for a while after using the shower gel as well.
      It lathers up really well and you don’t need to use a lot of the product at a time.
      I think this is a good quality shower gel. It leaves my skin feeling soft, smooth and clean and it doesn’t dry my skin out. It is reasonably priced and the bottle lasts rather well.
      I am not majorly keen on the scent, but I think Lynx is a good brand and I have used other shower gels in the range that I really like. I love the scent of Apollo.
      I personally don’t like the scent of Deep Space so I wouldn’t particularly recommend it for the scent, but I can’t deny that it does a good job as a shower gel and I wouldn’t be too disappointed if my husband bought this shower gel for us to use again in the future.

26.10.2014 01:35

Advantages

• "inner padding is removable"
      • "cushioned well"
      • "keeps teh draft off his body"
      • "comfortable for my dog"

Disadvantages

• "did begin to lose filling after a while as stitching began to fail"

Give your dog a comfortable nights sleep... draft free

There were three sizes in the shop, small,(500mm), medium, (700mm) and large(900mm), although they are the outer ring numbers as the rings are a goof 150mm thick so you have to take that into account when deciding whether to get one for your dog.
      I went for the larger bed as my dog does like to spread himself out a bit when he's sleeping.
      Apart from the ring itself this came with a rather padded centre piece that can be taken out in order to wash it, but when it's in the ring it give a good cushioning for my dog, giving him a padded outer ring to keep the drafts away from him from above.

The colours of this are beige and black, with paws prints being the opposite colour of the bed itself, with this being a sort of two in one bed. By that I mean this bed can be used upside down or the right way up, with one side being black paws on a beige background and the other side being beige paws on a black back ground. The same pattern as the blankets that come in this range.

I washed this in the washing machine on a low wash and it went in the drier without any shrinking problems, although I really had to shove it through the little hole in the drier door in order to get the thing in there. And when it came out of the washing machine it was soaked, with the packing inside the ring and the inner cushion soaking up more water than had gone through the machine, it seemed.

This ring bed sells for about £10 - £20, depending on which size you need to get, with each one having the same designed and comfort for your dog.
      Sadly, although this bed lasted quite a while, it was fell apart to the point of the stuffing inside the ring seeping out on the floor when ever this was moved, and with my dog doing what he does with his beds, this one moved quite a lot.

26.10.2014 01:04

Advantages

• "low price"
      • "good size"
      • soft
      • "Nice and light"

Disadvantages

• "will shrink in drier"

A posh feeling blanket at a dish cloth price...

Dogs beds are a must for any dog, but sometimes a bed is not quite enough for some dogs, some, like my dog, love a seconds form of comfort thing which comes in the form of a blanket, and this blanket is one that seem to find my dog enjoys.
      This fleece blanket is just over a metre by a meter and a half, and about 5mm thick, stitched all around the edges to make sure that it doesn't fray anywhere. It's design is simply paw prints, lots of them, all over the blanket. It comes in two sorts of colours, the black one has beige paw prints, the other is beige with black paw prints, but both are the same design.
      The fleece material is soft and pretty tough, which is good for my dog as he tends to get quite 'close' to his blanket, if you know what I mean. And these blankets tend to be able to withstand his 'closeness'.
      When it does get smelly, or over used, it pops straight into the washing machine on a low wash and it comes out as fresh as it ever was. Only don't put it into the drier as it will shrink it... I did this with the first one I got and it shrank to about ¾ of its size. Lessons learnt.

My dog loves this fleece, sometimes preferring it do his bed, especially when the days or nights are a little on the warmer side.
      These can be bought from many shops, I tend to go to the local B & M store that sell this for just under £3 which, for the time it lasts and the comfort it gives my dog, id great value for money.

• Califig / Oral Health & Digestion / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      26.10.2014 00:33

Advantages

• "It is effective for most of the time "
      • "It is gentle on the stomach "
      • "It does not taste bad like I thought "

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

Califig syrup

WHAT IS IT?

This is medicine that is a natural laxative, it can be taken by adults and children also. I have used it and so have all 3 of my daughters even the youngest who is two years old.

HOW DO YOU USE IT?

Take a spoon of Califig every day until your constipation has cleared up but if your bowel movements change and the change is unusual then you must see your doctor.

DOES IT WORK?

I think this works very good for me and for my children also. It takes only one dose for it to start to work and I am happy about that because it is a misery to be constipated. It is natural so I do not wait to become constipated sometimes and if I feel like I need help to use the lavatory I take Califig even if I do not know if I am fully constipated or not.

WHAT I THINK

I am very happy to use Califig and I have trust in it so I am happy also for my children to use it. It tastes nice like fruit so it is not horrible to take like some other laxative medicines are, my children all like the flavour very much and I do also.

This is syrup so is thick and a little bit sticky, there is Senna in it and that is a natural laxative.

I like that this does not give cramps to the stomach and I think that is important because of it being suited for children. I would not give it to my children if it was not gentle and I used it for myself before offering it to them to make sure there was no side effects that could make them suffer.

ANYTHING ELSE

A bottle of Califig costs only £3 and I think that is value because you do not have to use very much so a bottle lasts for long and you only will use it when you have constipation so that is not every day.

4 Dooyoo Stars.

26.10.2014 00:25

Advantages

• "smells fresh"
      • "Relaxing for my dog"
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "have to use quite a bit"

Keep your dog nice and fresh smelling for longer.....

It's a bit of a battle in my house when it comes to bathing the dog as he tends to dislike having a good soaping in order to get him to smell better than a skunks behind. So over the time I have found that he tends to be a little more 'relaxing' when I use certain shampoos, one of which is this one.
      You hear Johnson's you think quality products that are kind and gentle to your skin. But I've only ever thought Johnson's when it comes to caring for human skin, not animal skin, but here we are, a Johnson's product that cares for animals.... this one is a shampoo, but not any old shampoo, this one has evening primrose oil. It also says it contains Aloe Vira, Vitamin Complex B2, B5, B6 and C&E? Although I can't tell you if that's true or not... I'm no scientists.
      This seems to be nice and gentle on my dogs skin when I use this on him at bath time, so much so that it seems to make him more relaxed whilst he's in the bath itself.
      You can smell the primrose from it, with it even staying fresh on his fur well after the bath time.
      The only thing that I do have to say is that I do have to use quite a bit of this on each squirt as it doesn't seem to want to spread around his fur that much. What I mean by that is that with other shampoos you can see them spread around the fur by the white froth of suds that you wash about. This one seems to create less 'suds', which means more squirts, but once the suds get going they can spread pretty easily.
      It comes in two bottle sizes, a 125ml and a 200ml, with the prices ranging from £4 for the 125ml and about £5 for the larger bottle. Both bottles are made of plastic and the lids have a small hole for the shampoos to come out of when you squeeze the bottle.
      In all, it's a nice shampoos for my dog which seems to relax him more during the bath time. Then, once over, he smells fresh for a few days after.

25.10.2014 23:27

Advantages

• "gentle lather"
      • "pleasant scent"
      • "makes my hair feel clean and light"
      • effective
      • gentle

Disadvantages

• expensive

Gentle but expensive shampoo for those with sensitive skin and scalp

My niece uses this shampoo all the time as she has very sensitive skin and scalp so when I stayed with my sister for a few days I used this .

My experience is based on the uses over four days and I washed my hair daily.

I found that this lathered well and although the scent is not strong it os pleasant and mild.

I loved the way my hair felt afterwards as it felt clean, light and felt lovely and soft.

Some shampoos are just too heavy and leave my hair feeling heavy and lank. This felt like it had washed all the garbage out of my hair and left it feeling naturally healthy and yet still easy to style.

I checked up on how much this cost as I thought I would buy some but after i saw the price I decided I could not afford it.

There is a matching conditioner which is clear like this shampoo and also leaves my hair feeling clean but not striped, healthy but not heavy.

I did like this but find Weleda shampoo does a similar job for less money

25.10.2014 23:19

Advantages

• "Can help you rehydrate quickly."

Disadvantages

• "None for most people."

A First Aid Box Essential for Me

I have found the contents of these sachets, mixed with water, a quick way of feeling much better when I have been dehydrated either due to exercising in hot weather, or being ill with diarrhoea and sickness.

As in all the types of rehydration sachets that I have tried, the blackcurrant ones have tasted the best. When I have felt sick, I have found that the best way of drinking it is with small sips. That way it is more likely to stay inside me than trying to drink a full glass quickly.

Dehydration has caused dizziness, headaches and tiredness in me. It can cause even worse symptoms in severe cases, so I always keep this type of medicine in my first aid cupboard.

This medicine helps replace the essential electrolytes lost during dehydration and restores the patient’s salts, sugars and fluid balance. Each sachet of granules contains Citric Acid Anhydrous 0.128g, Glucose Monohydrate 3.58g, Potassium Chloride 0.30g, Sodium Chloride 0.47g, Sodium Citrate Dihydrate 0.39g.

Of course, always read the enclosed leaflet, and if symptoms persist, seek medical advice, especially after 48 hours.

I have often seen special offers for this type of medicine around the times of year when they most expect people to be visiting hot countries for their holidays. As well as the heat a foreign diet could trigger dehydration.

I don’t see the point in buying big brand names, in this case Dioralyte, when the same medicine can be bought more cheaply as an own brand.

Boots currently sell this for the full price of £2.99 for 6, compared to £3.29 for the similar Dioralyte sachets.

25.10.2014 23:18

Advantages

• "Easy to find at craft stores"

Disadvantages

• "Needs to be thinned out"

Convenient green candy product

12 oz bag of green candy melts. Certified Kosher.

Wilton candy melts are useful for many different projects. Some ways that I use them are for dipping cake pops, molding into candies to use as cupcake toppers, and drizzling on top of desserts such as cake pops, brownies, and cookies.

The green shade is excellent to use for Christmas desserts. Another application is for making characters, such as The Hulk or a witch. T

I do find I need to thin out Wilton candy melts in general, with melted vegetable shortening and/or vegetable oil. In general, I have had better luck with Make N Mold brand candy melts, because they seem to thin out more readily.

Also, be sure to use them in a place that isn't humid, otherwise the candy will seize up and have lumps in it.

25.10.2014 23:15

Advantages

• "Easy to find at craft stores"

Disadvantages

• "Needs to be thinned out"

A convenient light cocoa candy product, much more convenient than real chocolate

12 oz bag of light cocoa candy melts. Certified Kosher.

The light cocoa shade is excellent to use for fall desserts, as well as coating truffles / truffle pops. I like to make caramel apple cake pops with the light cocoa candy melts used as the "caramel" part. Also, you can make basic pops decorated with jimmies or non-pareils and they are always a big hit. Light cocoa candy melts are especially useful when dipping chocolate truffles and/or strawberries (or other fruits) in a chocolatey coating. You do not have to temper the chocolate, which is ultra convenient since tempering chocolate takes a lot of patience and control of elements such as heat, as well as a lot of stirring and chopping. Although, you don't get quite the same quality as if you were to use genuine chocolate that had been tempered. Still, the light cocoa candy is a crowd pleaser.

I do find I need to thin out Wilton candy melts in general, with melted vegetable shortening and/or vegetable oil. In general, I have had significantly better luck with Make N Mold brand milk chocolate flavored candy melts, because they seem to thin out more readily.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown