03.09.2015 08:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Rubbery texture"

most unpleasant, particularly the texture (like rubber)

We eat marmalade every morning and have tried many supermarket brands, but rarely shop in Tesco so have not tried theirs until now. This I have to say, was a most unpleasant experience. The marmalade resembled a solid block of rubber inside the jar, and so had to be scraped and scooped out into a dish, which I then had to microwave to soften in order to make it fit to spread. The flavour was only marginally better than the texture, being 'mediocre' at best.

• direct.asda.com / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      03.09.2015 08:15

Advantages

• "Wide range of products"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Late delivery"
      • "Bad service"

Website and delivery issues

I recently used asda direct to purchase a bulk order of school uniform. With a boy and girl both at school and requiring new summer and winter uniforms I decided to order online as many shops have sold out by mid summer.

Using the asda direct website seemed simple at first. The search functionality is good and being able to search using the category drop downs was helpful. To my surprise, most items were in stock in most sizes and there was s good range of styles and options available.

I happily filled up my basket and checked out ensuring my delivery would arrive before I left for holiday. It didn't. When I went back into my asda account the order had disappeared. I tried to recreate the order and the same thing happened again. After multiple attempts and phone calls to customer services I managed to place the order. This was very frustrating and a waste of time but I must say customer services were helpful and professional.

My order did arrive this time but it was not on time and arrived in 4 seperate deliveries on different days which was really inconvenient.

Items were packaged well and the uniform is decent quality for the price. My daughter loved that some of her uniform has a little hello kitty hidden somewhere! I'm sure I probably saved a little money overall by using asda rather than other uniform retailers too. So in the end I am pleased with the result of using asda direct. However I would avoid using them to try and save a few pounds on an order because it is not worth the extra stress!

• Naked Chase Vodka / Spirits / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      03.09.2015 02:48

Advantages

• "Clean taste"

Disadvantages

• "slightly pricey - but almost justifiable"

Until you have tried it, you won't understand what all the fuss is about!

Wow, wow, wow, just wow!

There's vodka, then there's vodka!
      From someone who is primarily a gin drinker, this is high praise indeed!

Having first come across Chase vodka in a delightful shop in Lyndhurst - I initially tried the marmalade vodka - which is out of this world! I am completely converted and would never choose other high-end vodkas over this one! Forget your Grey Goose or your Belvedere - for me there is no comparison!

It has such a clean, clear taste, and is so palatable that it is easy to have this vodka straight or 'on the rocks' as it seems such a shame to mask the taste by adding a mixer.

Chase vodka can be enjoyed as a long summer drink with a good tonic, loads of ice and the proverbial slice but equally can be served as a warming winter's evening drink, straight with some ice.

Chase vodka is made from potatoes as opposed to grain and the equipment used, means that the vodka is distilled 50 times which means there is not need to filter it. The company that owns Tyrell's crisps is the same company that makes Chase Vodka and Gin and if you read on their website, just how many potatoes are used in order to produce just one bottle - as well as the time it takes, it makes the price justifiable, but my advice is to shop around, as many supermarkets and websites offer special deals. I actually bought mine from John Lewis and it was the cheapest price at the time.

03.09.2015 00:02

Advantages

• "great zoom"

Disadvantages

Great little camera

This is a great little camera which comes in either red or black. The first thing I would like to say about this camera is that it's easy to hold as it's shaped to the average hand and also has thumb grips.
      One of the features that I especially like is the discreet setting which allows the user to take a photo without making the usual clicking or snapping noise. This is great for photographing wildlife or if you where working as a private detective and sneaking up on people. It also allows you to look back at your photos without making any noise.
      This camera has other great feature such as macro, panorama, self timer and flash.I have taken some great photos of flowers and mushrooms using the macro setting and it captures every detail nicely. It has a great zoom which when focused on something takes a nice photo. However if you are taking general landscape photos with the zoom on its likely to go blurry. This The screen is large making it easy to see what you are taking a photo of. It's also easy to look back at your photos and delete the ones you don't need. There is also the option of filming movies with this camera which even if your only into photography is a nice thing to experiment with from time to time.
      The camera also comes with a charger and the battery is easily removed from the camera for charging. Once fully charged I find that the battery lasts me a long time.
      Overall a great camera as it is nice to use and takes a great photo.

02.09.2015 23:20

Advantages

• "Only need a small amount"
      • "Gentle but very effective"

Clinique cleansing milk

I do like using cleansing milk as I prefer the thin consistency and find that they usually do just a good a job as the more thicker concentrated products which I find sometimes leave a residue on my face. I find a good cleansing milk will remove all traces of make up from my face and leave it feeling refreshed and product free. I have bought quite a lot of Clinique products over the years and have always found them to be suitable for my skin and to last a long time. This Take The Day Off cleansing milk costs £17.99 and it comes in a purple bottle with a pump dispenser.

This cleansing milk has been dermatologically tested and I can say that it has never irritated my skin or caused any irritation. The liquid is white and milky in appearance and it smells fresh and clean without being too strong or overpowering. It is hypo-allergenic and does not contain any alcohol and it is supposed to give your skin a radiance as well as cleansing.

To use I will pump a small amount onto a cotton wool pad and find that you don't really need much as it seems to go a long way. It stays on the cotton wool pad without soaking right in and I find that one application is enough to wipe over my whole face and neck. I will use small outward sweeping motions starting at the top of my face going down to my neck and then will finish off by wiping around my eyes.

My skin feels soft and quite hydrated afterwards and I don't feel the need to use anything else straight away although I will use a moisturiser or night cream just before going to bed. I think that my skin does look smooth and bright with using this milk and the fresh clean feeling does last for some time.

I do like this cleanser and will continue to use it and would buy it again. It is a good quality product which is gentle but removes every trace of my make up and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh.

• Clarins Concealer Stick / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2015 23:15

Advantages

• "Great cover for blemishes"

Cover up your blemishes

This Clarins cover up stick is a must have for my make up bag and although I paid £12 it is excellent quality and I only need to use a very small amount at a time. The tube is white and silver and it has the Clarins logo written down the side. It twists up to use and like a lipstick you need to be careful that you don't twist it up too much as it can break off which has happened to me in the past. Also if you don't twist it back down again after use you can squash the top which will make it difficult to apply.

It comes in six shades and I have the fair one which matches my complexion. I think the medium is quite dark and would be suitable for people with darker skin. I will dab it on a few darker patches which I have on my cheeks and forehead and underneath my eyes to disguise any dark circles and then rub it in gently with my fingers. It does seem to blend in well with my skin colour and does a good job of disguising my imperfections. In the daytime I often just use this on my face but if I am going out in the evening I will apply this cover up stick and then use my foundation for a more finished look.

I have been using this cover stick on and off for many years and it has never irritated or caused me any problems. I find that it stays on well and it doesn't change colour after a time as I have heard some other sticks have when they have been on for a while. I will definitely continue to buy this cover up stick and I recommend it to others.

• Zantac 75 / Oral Health & Digestion / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2015 22:56

Advantages

• "Fast acting to stop pain"

Fast relief from heartburn

I suffer with heartburn and acid indigestion usually when I eat late at night and don't give my food time to digest properly before settling down for the evening. My symptoms include a burning pain in my chest and small amounts of an acid type liquid which regurgitates into my throat and which tastes awful. I find that at times the pain hurts even when I am breathing and this is when I know I need to reach for the Gaviscon tablets. These Zantac tablets were recommended to me by a friend so I thought I would give them a try.

The packet I am currently using contains 16 tablets but they also come in a pack of 24 and 32. I paid £2.25 for these from Tesco which I think is a good price for them. The active ingredients are 250mg sodium alginate, 133.5mg sodium hydrogen carbonate and 80mg calcium and they do not contain sugar or gluten so are suitable for a lot of people.

These tables are supposed to form a raft over the stomach contents which prevents acid coming back up into the oesophagus. They are very sweet to the taste and do taste a bit artificial but I find the taste very pleasant. The tablets are easily released from a foil backing. You can suck the tablets or crunch them straight away. If you do suck the tablets they get soft and when you start to chew them they melt into a foamy soft consistency and are then easy to swallow. I find that within half an hour of taking them and often much sooner my symptoms start to fade and I can feel the relief.

You can have two to four tablets after meals and before bedtime up to four times a day but I find that one or two tablets seem to do the trick for me. They are not suitable for children under 12 unless taken on medical advice but I wouldn't think that many children would suffer with these symptoms.

I would suggest that if you experience heartburn and related symptoms on a regular basis or if these tablets don't make any difference you should seek medical advice straight away as I think that these tablets are more for occasional sufferers. I consider myself to fall within the occasional sufferer category and these tablets really do work for me.

02.09.2015 22:54

Advantages

• Shiny
      • Sleek
      • Eyecatching

Eyecatching MK

Excellent watch, wearing it while typing this review. Just looks really eye catching everywhere I go I get commented about it, the other thing is everyone thinks its real expensive however I got mine on sale online and it looks much better in real life then the photos online, there is no disadvantage about the watch it is just 10 out of 10.

02.09.2015 22:47

Advantages

• Sleek
      • "Good performance"
      • "No lag"

Daily Laptop

With this handy laptop I cannot think of any downsides at all maybe except Bluetooth other than it is excellent for browsing, for work and even creating things.

• Samsung Galaxy Note 4 / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2015 22:38

Advantages

• "Great camera"
      • "Power "
      • "Mini Computer"
      • "Great screen size"

Disadvantages

• Overheats

Welcome to the mini computer

Great smartphone, excellent for an work phone too

Great for movies and videos, good screen size

Just used to overheat a bit

• LG G2 / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2015 22:31

Advantages

• "Great for browsing"
      • "Great battery life"
      • Sleek

Disadvantages

• "the sim tray ejects via pin like Iphone"

The Sleek Battery Saving LG G2

This phone is a great little smartphone, great battery life does not overheat either. Great innovation of having the power button and volume buttons at the back of the phone. They could've improved on the camera quality however other than that the sim tray, but the rest of the phone is excellent !

02.09.2015 22:19

Advantages

• "Gives skin a luminous glow"
      • "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

• "Fades quickly"
      • "Low longevity"

Dream - or nightmare...?

I used Maybelline's Dream Satin Liquid for the last few weeks as I was sent a bottle through the post as part of a competition win, I'm not sure of the shade name I used (I didn't check!) but it's what I'd call a 'Nude' or 'Natural' shade which was good for me.

The foundation is sold in a glass bottle with pump top, you need a couple or three pumps to dispense enough product for a whole face and maybe a little more if you're wearing something low cut and want to continue your foundation down your neck. I applied mine with my make up blending sponge and the texture of the liquid is perfect for that method.

My skin looks really fantastic after using this foundation but sadly the appearance doesn't stay looking as good for long, the foundation starts to look patchy and faded very quickly (within two hours, maybe less than that) - I had applied concealer one day over a blemish and was mortified when I spotted my face in the bank to see my foundation had decided to wear away in that area so my slightly lighter concealer was showing through. Not a good look!

This is a semi medium coverage foundation in my opinion which doesn't last long enough for it to be useful, that's a real shame as otherwise it's fab as the colour is good and the foundation applies beautifully. I wish the dewy appearance of my skin would stay for longer as after using Dream Satin there is definitely a visual improvement to the tone of my skin - unfortunately I can't trust it to remain on my skin where it should be so I won't be paying the £8 for a new bottle now mine has run out.

02.09.2015 22:12

Advantages

• Cleans

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't leave my mouth feeling fresh"
      • "Salty flavour"

Salty toothpaste

I've used Arm & Hammer toothpastes before but tend to stick to my usual Colgate for myself and the family, the only reason I'm using their Dental Care Baking Soda toothpaste is because it was on special offer in Boots at a time when I needed toothpaste.

Firstly I really don't like the taste, I'm not sure if it's the baking soda but this toothpaste has a really salty flavour that doesn't leave my teeth or mouth feeling as clean and fresh as when I use a more minty toothpaste. I do get a 'just cleaned' feeling and my teeth feel nice and smooth afterwards but this feeling doesn't last long and I found myself cleaning my teeth more often and also using more mouthwash just to inject some freshness into my mouth and breath.

The toothpaste is pretty low foam which doesn't bother me either way but when my younger children used it they both mentioned they wished there were more bubbles as apparently it's the foam which makes them feel confident in their tooth brushing.

I won't buy this again even if I do spot it on special offer again, it's just not effective enough and although it does make my mouth and teeth feel clean the feeling isn't as strong or rich as I personally would like. The cost of over £2 a tube is definitely not warranted in my opinion and despite the fact I know baking soda is a good natural remedy for stained teeth I doubt it's concentrated enough in this product to really make it worthwhile using.

• Tesco Freshmint Mouthwash / Oral Care / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      02.09.2015 21:49

Advantages

• "Fresh minty taste"

Fresh minty mouthwash

I regularly use a mouthwash as I like the fresh feeling it gives me, also if there are any small bits of food left after brushing this gets rid of them easily. I have tried many brands of mouthwash and haven't really got a favourite, but I will just buy whichever is on offer at the time I am buying it.

I bought this Tesco Freshmint mouthwash for just £1.79 when it was on offer which is a very good price as it is currently around £3. It is a 500ml bottle which is quite large and a bottle this size has lasted me for around six months with my usage. The liquid is a pretty blue colour and the bottle is clear so you can clearly see how much is left. It is alcohol free and is mild enough if you find that you swallow a bit accidentally.

This mouth wash has a cool minty taste which is quite delicate and doesn't take your breath away when you gargle it. It is designed to kill germs and to prevent cavities and it also fights plaque formation and helps to protect against gum problems. Adults and children over the age of six years old are advised to use it twice a day after brushing your teeth in the normal way by filling the cap up to the 20ml mark and gargling with the liquid.

I would say that I probably use it about twice a week and am happy with this. As I am the only person who uses the mouthwash I don't bother filling the cap and will just swig it out of the bottle. Obviously if you are sharing it you wouldn't be able to do this for hygiene reasons. I will swish the liquid from one side of my mouth to the other and then gargle for between five and ten seconds before spitting it out. It leaves my mouth feeling tingly and fresh and I am confident that my breath is fresh and there are no bits of food lodged between my teeth.

I do recommend this mouthwash, it makes my mouth and teeth feel very clean and freshens my breath and this sensation lasts for at least an hour after brushing. It is minty without being too strong so would be suitable for everyone in the family.

• Iceland / Highstreet Shopping / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2015 21:32

Advantages

• "Free home delivery"
      • "low cost"

Disadvantages

• "Delivery issues"
      • "Lots of unhealthy food"

Not just for frozen food.

I remember shopping there as a little girl with mum but then my local store closed and that was that. When a new one opened nearby later I never got round to trying it till recently. I volunteered to do some shopping for a fan of the shop and saw enough of interest to decide to do a shop there for myself. < br/>
      Iceland is known as a frozen foods store but also has large chilled food cabinets and some general grocery items such as pasta, oil, vinegar, and soups and a fresh veg and fruit section. The latter is pretty small amd therefore limited in selection but everything there looked fresh and I was very impressed by the price of the onions and garlic I purchased from it.

Some fresh products are also put in the chillers which is a good idea as it helps keeps them fresh. Again I was very impressed by the price and quality of the vine tomatoes that I took home. There was also cheese amongst the cheapest cheddar I know where to buy.

Frozen foods were ready meals grouped in sections as Indian, American, and family meals. Then there is pizza, frozen ready to bake bakery items, frozen desserts, frozen pastry, frozen veg, vegetarion foods etc. Many products are only a pound in all sections. This makes adding up your shopping easy as you go.

I liked the good the selection of frozen vegetables. I liked some of the ready meals but I was concerned at just how high in saturated fat and salt some meals were.They'd have to be treats for members of my family not regular meals because of underlying health problems some if us have.

Queues at the till tend to be long even early in the day. My first three visits were before nine am. Till staff were very friendly and had bags opened and ready for you. I had one home delivery as I qualified with a £25 qualifying shop but had to go to the shop to collect it the next day as the van broke down.I gather from a complaining customer that this is not unusual! I would recommend the shop but I couldn't get my weekly shop there.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown