More +
      26.11.2014 21:47

Advantages

• "removes all trace of limescale completely"

Disadvantages

• "too strong for everyday use"

lime green limescale remover

Why I bought it
      On a recent house renovation, amongst other things, I needed to clean the bathroom, including a toilet that hadn't been looked after for at least a year. There was a big build up of limescale around the rim, along the water line and under the water at the bottom.

I went searching at our local Wilkinsons for a variety of cleaning products and found this on offer that I thought might have a chance at getting that horrible toilet clean..
      Packaging and Price
      Domestos Zero Limescale, toilet limescale remover, comes in a 750ml black bottle with an angled lime green lid, and a predominantly bright green label. The angled lid , is child-proof, but for once not also adult proof, and removing it reveals a small angled nozzle about 2mm in diameter.

The bottle is slight squeezable allowing the bottle to be aimed exactly where it is wanted and squeezing out the product under the rim and around the bowl is aided by the angled nozzle. Beware though, the nozzle is not non-drip so the product will start flowing as soon as the bottle is tipped.
      I picked my bottle up for just 1 pound on offer at Wilkinsons, but I believe the normal price is 1.99.

Does it works
      Well yes, I can honestly say it really does. I squirted this all around the toilet bowl and rim one evening. The liquid , though flowing out of the nozzle freely, has the consistency of unset jelly, and sticks well where it is squirted. It has a overall smell of pine mixed with bleach which is not unpleasant at all, though fairly strong. The liquid/gel has a luminous green colour as it leaves the bottle, but this turns blue wherever it hits water or moisture.
      The next morning Iwent to look at my toilet with some hope. I could still see the limescale as it was the day before, and all of the product had sunk down into the water. But it had obviously done its job, and completely softened the limescale, as a simple swish round with the toilet brush as I flushed the toilet, removed it all , leaving the toilet white and fresh and clean. T

This evening I have put it down my own toilet as an experiment to see how quickly it works. My toilet is much cleaner than the one I bought this product for, but we live in a very hard water area so a bit of limescale is inevitable. After one hour, the little bit of limescale build up around the rim was gone, although there was still a bit of limescale in the bottom of the toilet, although most was removed, again with the help of the toilet brush, so maybe next time I'll leave it a couple of hours.
      Environmental issues
      On the front it this product has a small logo from www.sustainable cleaning.com suggesting that it may not be too environmentally evil. So I checked out this website and find that the symbol means Unilever, the manufacturere, has signed a sustainability charter.
      On the other hand, the back of the packaging has a sign indicating that the product is corrosive and should not be mixed with any other cleaning products. So all-in-all I am a bit confused.

But many times, on a clean up, I find that I will use far less of a good strong product, than if I try to user a milder productI that only does half a job for twice the amount. I think, all-in-all this is a product for ocassional use only, perhpas once a month to keep a toilet limescale free., which it does very well, and on this basis I am happy to recommend it.

Comments

Login or register to add comments
    • Max Factor 2000 Calorie Mascara / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:46

Advantages

Disadvantages

HOLY GRAIL MASCARA!

Guilty.This was the first ever mascara I bought when I was about 12-13.Since then I had been straying so much trying so many different mascaras (from Max Factor as well) but nothing I mean NOTHING can come close to this formula.
      I am so so sorry and I regret it so deeply that I wasn't faithful to you 2000 calorie mascara.You are the ONE.I will never ever cheat on you my dear,I promise.
      I have really long,thick eyelashes but they're straight and blonde.This mascara volumizes my lashes so freaking much ,it lengthens them,it separates them (not great at it but descent enough) and it makes them look incredible.False lashes alert.My lashes look fanned,cat eye-like,very sexy,femme fatale mode.The colour is the richest black I have ever come across.The wand is the best I've ever tried,it's the right size,the brush is perfect,not too big not too small,you can reach every single lash ,even the smallest and it doesn't gather excess product-just the right amount,the formula is neither wet nor dry and the best part is that you get zero clumps!
      The staying power is remarkable.It doesn't flake,it doesn't run ,doesn't budge,it won't go anywhere don't worry.Even after a long day and night.And what's more surprising is that you can remove it so easily.For a long wearing mascara you would expect it to be stubborn to remove. But this is the exception.This literally comes off with just a little soap and water.Ofcourse I use my beloved Bioderma Sensibio H2O to remove it,and it comes off in a second with minimal effort.
      I got it for £8 which is a really good price for this divine stuff.This is I think the only thing that comes close to makeup heaven and the only other mascara that can reach it juuuust a bit,is the Clinique High Lengths mascara.But ofcourse it can't help but eat 2000 calories' dust.
      Go buy it you will never ever regret it.
      xxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Max Factor Minerals Foundation / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Like Higher End Products But Cheap!

So, as many of you, I was on the search for the perfect foundation. I am 19, and tend to have oily skin. I have tried MAC hyperreal foudnation, bareminerals, smashbox, revlon colorstay; all of which I like in one way or another, but I want perfection. The Mac foudantion tended to oxidize and turn orange, the smashbox goes on nice and sheer with a great "dewy" look, and the revlon gave great coverage.

So I decided to give this a try as a drugstore foundation.

So I really like it, it gave pretty good coverage for my imperfections on my face. But it was also sheer. I picked out a good color, and there was an awesome color selection by the way.

I liked the fact that it was somewhat sheer because then my skin can glow through underneath. It completely evened out my rednees and discoloration in my face, which is a must.

I would almost compare it to my smashbox foundation, because of the nice dewy look and the sheerness of the product. But it also has great coverage. It looks more like natural beautiful skin. But it has a better staying power than smahsbox.

I have applied the foundation with my bare minerals kabuki brush, my bareminerals feather light brush (stippling brush), and also my smahbox number 13 foudantion brush.

The kabuki brush gave the lightest amount of coverage. The stippling brush gave a nice airbrushed effect, and the foudantion brush gave the most coverage.

I would have to recommend using either a stippling brush or a foundation brush to apply the product. When I tested it out I applied the makeup on a clean face - no moisturizer, or primer.

And it is working pretty well.
      I love the fact that it is in a pump so that you dont waste product.

Overall, I would say to give this foudantion a try, you might really be surprised as to how well it can be compared to higher end brands.
      But I will update if I decide that if something happens, like break me out or something.

Comments

• Silverspoon Treat Toffee Sauce / Sauces / Soups / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:43

Advantages

• "economical treat for those with a sweet tooth"

Disadvantages

• "bit too sweet for me"

saucy

Why did we buy it
      With all my children grown up, and my sweet tooth flown away with the advancing years, to be honest, I would have never bought this sweet sauce, but our 21 year old still lives at home and loves as many sickly sweet things as he can get, hence it has arrived in my cupboard.

What is it
      Askeys Treat Toffee sauce is exactly what you might expect, a sweet toffee sauce designed for drizzling on top of ice cream, pancakes, rice pudding, fresh or tinned fruit, cereal, or whatever else takes your fancy.
      Packaging and price
      This sauce is presented in a royal blue plastic bottle with a flip top lid and a pouring nozzle around 0.5cm in diameter. The bottle holds 325g and is designed in a waisted form to make it comfortable in the hand, and the majority of the body is covered in a plastic sleeve type label with a mainly light brown colour ( presumably to resemble toffee).

The word Treat is the largest and most eye catching on the shelf, and below that the word toffee to distinguish it from other flavours available ( namely milk chocolate, chocolate chunk cracking, raspberry, maple, and caramel crackin ).
      I don't remember which of my family picked this up, and therefore do not know what price was paid, but Tesco currently have this and all the other flavour sauces available at just 1 pound each, so I guess its quite a bargain.

And the taste
      In the interests of consumer information, I have forced myself this evening to eat some of this. It is a thick but quite runny sauce, which immediately starts to drip off my finger as I pour it out. It is light brown and glossy in appearance and slightly translucent.
      Both the smell and he taste are sweet (of course) and a bit buttery, and reminds me of fudge. It is not quite as sickly as I imagined it would be, but still too sweet for my taste. I think with it's buttery, fudgy flavour it would go very well on vanilla ice cream, and/ or bananas, and possibly it would be nice on porridge too.

My opinion
      As I have stateed previously, I no longer have a sweet tooth, so I probably would not buy this for myself. But it wasn't as sickly as I feared, so would be a nice treat for younger relatives, or when my grandchildren finallly start arriving. So all-in-all when this runs out I might even consider trying some of the other flavours, as for just 1 pound it is a nice thing to have in the cupboard for visitors.

Comments

• Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very Good But Not Short Lash Effect

I have used the 2000 calorie mascara for 2 years now, and got the false lash effect for free when Boots was doing a promo. while the FLE is a good mascara, for me it does not trump the 2000 calorie.

pros:
      - super smooth application, clump free
      - great color richness and density
      - good separation (no sticky clumpy spider leg lashes)
      - good (*but not best) hold of curl. lashes might droop midday.

cons:
      - NOT a false lash effect on me (I have very average lashes), it reads very NATURAL!
      - 2000 calorie holds the curl better and gives more fluttery, thicker, volumized lashes

I must say, I really like this!
      It doesn't clump or smudge on me, but gives my lashes some length and volume - the perfect amount for my lashes, since they're both short and thin. It's great for everyday, and is very light on the lashes. I can definitely build this up for a night out, and even though it's not the waterproof version it lasts all day - and probably all night too.
      this is merely a personal opinion. do give it a try as its a good mascara, but not as GREAT/AMAZING/EPIC as 2000 calorie. 2000 calorie is my HG even after trying expensive Clinique, estee lauder, and benefit mascaras, and other drugstore mascaras like covergirl, Revlon and Maybelline. 2000 calorie is also cheaper, so perhaps if you're new to max factor you could try that first. or look for "3 for 2" or
      "buy 1 and get 50% off a second purchase" deals on max factor and try both.
      :)
      thanks for reading! xx

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 21:41

Advantages

• "easy cleaning"
      • "safe to use"

Disadvantages

• none

fancy a chip

We have owned this deep fat fryer for a number of years now, and as today was set aside to give it a good clean, it reminded me to write a review.

Why we bought it
      We don't eat chips every day, perhaps once a fortnight , so when I am cooking them I want them to be real British chips, none of these horrible french fries or reconstituted oven chips, No, nothing else will do...they must be real potatoes cooked in real hot oil and that's that!
      I had cooked chips in a saucepan of oil for years when my husband decided we needed a deep fat fryer, so I agreed, but insisted that it must be easy to clean and of course good value for money.

This Breville deep fat fryer descibed by breville as''' Stainless Steel Pro Fryer with Plastic Lid,''' fitted the bill at a good rprice. I believe we paid 29.99 but this is cureently available at Tesco for''' 34.99'''
      Styling and Design
      Most of my small electrical items n the kitchen are stainless steel, so this fits in nicely. It is basically a brushed stainless steel rectangle box. with a black lid and a back control panel to the rear. The box measures 17cm high x 17cm wide by 32cm front to back. the whole is lifted off the worktop by 4 small feet so the heat won't damage your worktop. The control panel to the rear adds extra bulk of around 7cm to the length and 5 cm to the hieght. The black plastic handle of the basket sticks out to the front, but this is removable if you wish.

The control panel is very simple with just a tempurature control dial, a red on light , a green light telling you when the correct tempurature has been reached, and an on off switch. It is fittted with a 1 metre long black cable with a sealed black plug.
      Cleaning and maintenance
      This was one of the things that drew us to this machine. Chip fryers by their very nature can get very gunked up with old oil,, so thorough cleaning is essential. We only do this every couple of months , but when we do it is pretty easy.
      The fryer is composed of 5 components; the main stainless stell box that houses the fryer, the heavy metal container for the oil, the control panel complete with heater element attached, fryer basket and lid. All these things simply lift off and then all ecxept the control panel can be immersed in hot soapy water. I like to use a spray de-greaser too to get everyhting really clean and shiny.

For the control panel I use my spay de-greaser sprayed onto a scourer pad, and then wipe clean with a damp cloth.
      Once everything i clean sparkling and shiny again, it is a simple job to just drop everything in place to reassembe. Some fresh clean vegetable oil and we are ready to go again.

How it cooks
      I have been very pleased witht his cooker. It holds 3 litres of oil and the basket is big enough to get chips for up to 3 people. I have also used this to fry quite large pieces of cod (one at a time), prawn crackers, home made doughnuts etc etc. Although I have never actually timed this, I think it cooks quicker than cooking in a saucepan of oil, probably because the oil is kept at the right temperature. , and the built in thermostat means it cannot over heat, so it is safer to use.
      I like to lift the basket to give the food a shake during cooking, and when I am happy that everything is cooked evenly, there is a convenient hook on the basket meaning I can lift the food out of the oil, but leave it to drain for a few moments, while I get on with other tasks.

The handle is sturdy enough to take the entire basket over to wherever I am serving up the food without fear of it collapsing on me and spilling the contents.
      Conclusion
      We have found this cooker a real boon in the kitchen and not only would I defintiely recommend it I will also buy myself another one should it ever stop working.

Comments

• Rimmel Extra Super Lash Mascara / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:33

Advantages

• "Available in brown/black"
      • "Good quality"
      • "Easy to apply"
      • "Nice consistency"

Disadvantages

• "Takes time to remove"

Great mascara for me

When I was looking for a replacement Mascara I was quite baffled by the choice now available. I don't really want super huge, super plump, everlasting ... my style of make up is as subtle as I can. That said, I do think that mascara finishes my look off, so it's important I find the right one. This "Extra Super" lash, still sounded a bit Over the top, but it was still one of the more subtle ones on the shelf. It was priced around £5, which rated well among the others, and also it was available in my preferred brown / black, rather than just dark black which is just always too heavy for my taste and my look. The other thing was that this was one of the few in a normal 'straight' bottle, most of them are in these chunky curvy bottles which just somehow seem as though they would be awkward to work with ... just my perception.

As a product it's nice to use, with a thinnish bristle brush, and the mascara comes out of the bottle nicely coating the brush without being thick or sticky at all. The bristles are well spaced along, not thick and bushy which is ideal for my personal preference. In applying the mascara, it also leaves the brush easily and gives a good even coat to my lashes with a few light strokes. I haven't had any problems with it clumping and it seems to dry quickly, I have only had a few smudge issues.

When it comes to removing the mascara, it is quite resistant to my usual approach of baby lotion, and it requires my eye make up remover to remove all traces, but that's a sign of a mascara with good staying power, so it can't really be a serious negative point.

For a light wearer, I definitely recommend this mascara, and it is another Rimmel hit for me.

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 21:32

Advantages

• Longwearing
      • "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

• none

Rouged up

I can't live without blusher. It can add the life back into any sallow skin. Now I've tried liquid blush and powder blushes in the past, but I like my skin to look dewy and sometimes powder can be too matte on my skin. I had this blush applied by one of the ladies on the Bobbi Brown counter in John Lewis. She picked out Shade 11 Pale Pink for me to try, it looked so good I had to but it! There are 10 shades in total of this product, so there is a colour for everyone. The product retails at £19.00 direct from BB, but you may be able to purchase this cheaper elsewhere.

Pot Rouge comes in a small, round compact; which houses a mirror and the colour - perfect for use on the go. The colour can be applied with a brush or fingers direct to the cheeks. Think of the blush/rouge like a lipstick in a pot - it has a very similar texture. I find that a small dab of the fingers into the pot and onto the skin is all that is required to get enough colour. Once on the skin, the blush is easily blended and dispersed on the cheek area. The product gives a dewy sheen to the skin - nothing over the top, I feel it gives me a healthy glow compared to powder blushes. It looks like I have a natural, radiant blush to my cheeks. Pot Rouge is not sticky or tacky on the skin it feels lightweight and smooth to the touch.

I have oily skin and I still do not need to reapply this throughout the day, it is long wearing and looks natural. At the end of the day when I cleanse, it is easily removed; and thankfully it has not blocked my pores.

I occasionally use this on my lips if I am out and want a quick burst of colour, although I primarily use this as just a blush. When I use it on the lips it just feels like lip balm, it softens my lips without drying and feeling sticky. The product on the lips looks fairly subtle, just a hint of colour and is long wearing, but is not outstanding used as just a lip product alone.

The £19 price tag may deter you from buying this, but it really is worth purchasing as it will last. The high pigmentation of the product means a little goes a long way. When I eventually use this up, i will definitely be buying it again!

Comments

• Max Factor Miracle Touch Liquid / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      More +
      26.11.2014 21:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very Nice Foundation!

have oily skin and a medium, yellow-based skin tone, some acne-scarring, redness and visible pores on my nose and slightly on my cheeks. I have been trying for a few years to find a foundation that won't melt off me after an hour of wear, sink into my pores or make me orange.

Max Factor's Miracle Touch Liquid Illusion foundation is the best I've used by far. I prep my skin with an exfoliating scrub and then a primer, and apply the foundation thinly and blendably with a Napoleon Perdis foundation brush, and set it because of the shine and oily look you get after application with a loose mineral powder.

PROS:
      - it lasts all day with touch ups
      - it doesn't sink into my pores until much later in the day
      - it has never caused a breakout!
      - it lasts me forever because I use it very thinly
      - it matches my skin tone almost perfectly (I use Golden 75)

CONS:
      - it's pretty pricey for a drug store brand
      - there's not a whole lot of product (I use probably one every two to three months, but someone who would want a heavier coverage would probably run out in a month)
      - it does go shiny after a couple of hours, but looks perfect again with a touch up

Overall, it is by far the best foundation I have used, but I will still continue looking for the best! I would definetly reccomend this foundation though xoxo

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 21:27

Advantages

Disadvantages

Smells so sweet and beautiful

After being very disappointed with the throw of Merry Marshmallow and North Pole, I was pleasantly surprised by Snowflake Cookie. It is a subtle yet still noticeable sugar cookie scent. The throw was medium, it filled my living room with scent but not really the adjoining rooms. I would have given 5 stars if the throw was stronger. The wax color is exceptionally pretty looking! If YC brings it back next year I would probably buy it in jars also. It reminded me a bit of a more subtle sugary and un-spiced version of Milk & Cookies. I shut off the tart burner before I went to bed. I was surprised when I went to the living room in the morning as I could still faintly detect a sweet sugary scent lingering. It blends well with other scents (I also had it burning with Midnight Oasis). I'm glad YC redeemed themselves with the new Christmas collection with this one! I am not usually someone who goes for things like yankee candles as they do cost a pretty penny but i thought i would treat myself and right i was as this was such a pleasant surprise and worth every penny even though this one from the cheaper ranges retailling at £1.12. If you are looking for a gift for a friend or family member look no further as this is p e r f e c t! Seriously reccomend this wax tart to anyone looking for something a little bit different. xoxo

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 21:16
      Very helpful
      (Rating)

Advantages

• "Infuse with dish to add flavour."
      • "Add to soups or spices"
      • "Traditional leaves then ground"

Disadvantages

Right you, you're grounded. doh

WhAT IS A BAY LEAF?
      A bay leaf is an evergreen leaf taken from a tree called the Laurel family.
      It can grow up to a height of 40 feet and was originally grown in the Mediterran however it cannot grow well in winter, unless it is indoors.
      They are medium size glossy leaves that break or snap quite easy.

HOW TO GROW
      OUTDOORS
      This is a bit of a snob in how it grows. It loves rich fertilised soil and the soil also needs to be well drained near to dry but not quite many gardeners tend to add just mulch and this can add the right amount of water.
      You need to give careful consideration to where you chose to plant this as it hijack plant space in your garden.

INDOORS
      You can pot these as well, avoid terracotta pots you need a retainer for the water, and the depth is important as well, for example recommended by garden stores for an 8 inch plant best to get a 12" pot.
      These can grow slow, but it is worth it in the end.-2 years for a good full plant]
      However, the difficulty I found and is quite common, is that these need a lot of direct sunlight and avoid leaving the pot in the path of drafts or heat, I made the mistake of putting in on the window ledge but the heating was on underneath this really damaged the plant and hindered its growth.

REGROW/ REPLANT THESE
      The best thing about investing in a bay leave tree or plants I found, is the value for money because if you take stem cutting of 3-6 inches in summer you can re-grow these the following year just keep the stems in humid conditions not heating conditions.

FLAVOUR
      This is usually why people don't grow these leaves, because they don't add much. If you buy these from a supermarket they have been picked and packed for a considerable time, but to get that intense flavour you need to pick the quantity of leaves you need 24-48 BEFORE you cook with them. It doesn't really have anything to do with the look of the leaf being dry, but the hour in has been picked from.

If you really think it doesn't add anything and its all a hoax, I found a great tip on the WWW. Boil hot water, pour into cup and add two fresh bay leaves and wait a few minutes, then taste the water when its cooled down you should and I mean this, get a taste of menthol and eucalyptus [along the lines of vapo-rub!] The nearest tree cousin I suppose to this is Cinnamon.
      See it is a great herb plant.

It is better I find having leaves, but practical keeping ground bay leaves in store to quicken the flavour if you don't want to wait for an hour for the flavour to infuse.

Also, here's a good tip- Freeze!
      No, not you, freeze the leaves and they last longer.
      [A great recipe is jerk chicken where you cooked the leaves under the chicken enjoy!]

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 21:05
      Very helpful
      (Rating)

Advantages

• "Really good"

Disadvantages

• none

great!

I don't use a nail file very often but when I do this is the one I use. My husband bought it a couple of years ago and it's really good. I used to buy the cheap cardboardy ones from Claire's and they were okay but would soon wear down. This we've had for several years and can still use it today.

It is metal and has a plastic part where you hold it. This is really good as it gives you something to grip which isn't raised so it's comfortable to use. I don't know about you but when I use my file I tend to grip quite hard so if I didn't have the handle to protect my fingers from the raised edges of the file then it would be very uncomfortable to hold.

The file itself is quite thick and ever so slightly rounded but only in a very slight way. I think this helps to shape your nails nicely. When I use this I find that I don't need to keep going back and forth back and forth over and over because it's really effective so usually just a few sweeps across the nail is enough to shape it. It's a good width too and the perfect length.

i find it very easy to use and it's great at shaping my nails nicely without leaving them looking odd!

It is definitely the best nail file I've owned, two years on and it's still going strong which is great! It only cost £1 too!

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 20:44
      Very helpful
      (Rating)

Advantages

• "clever story with many twists and turns"
      • "witty and stylish writing style"

Disadvantages

• "the language can appear dated"

expect the unexpected

Since I became a Kindle owner, I have been rediscovering classic books that I had previously overlooked and in the process attempting to educate myself a little.

Many of these great classics are available free of charge and legally through the Amazon.co.uk website, and I have been reading and enjoying a wide variety. Having now read Cervantes, Jane Austen, the Brontes, George Eliot and Daniel Defoe, my most recent forray was into the books of Charles Dickens.
      Now I have always imagined that I wouldn't like Dickens. This is based on no more evidence than the over exposure of two of his stories; Oliver & A Christmas Carol. These two stories have been done to death on both the little and big screen and have had the same effect on me as overplaying a song on the radio, meaning I just lost interest in anything to do with Dickens.

So it was with some trepidation, and not a little reluctance, that I began to read Great Expectations. I couldn't have been more mistaken! I was drawn into the story from the very first chapter. Charles Dickens is an absolute wordsmith, constructing sentences with precision, poetry and artistry. I enjoyed not only the story, but also the style of the story telling. Examples that charmed me are snippets such as "an unsuccessful application of his knuckles to my door" or "there was a gay fiction amongst us that we were constantly enjoying ourselves, and a skeleton truth that we never did" This clever way of succinctly describing the world enchants me and I can only dream of writing with such style and panache.
      The Storyline
      Young orphan Philip Pirrip, known locally as Pip has been raised since a baby by his cruel and bitter elder sister and her kind long-suffering husband Joe Gargery the local blacksmith. In the first part of the book he experiences several events that have a big impact on his young life and begin to shape his character. Not least of these is his encounter with the strange and haunting heiress Miss Havisham and her young companion Estella, who show Pip a genteel life far removed from his, and teaches him to hanker for more than a mere Blacksmith's apprentice could ever acheive.

When Pip's fortunes unexpectedly change thanks to a mysterious benefactor, our hero, now a young man, goes to live in London under the Guardianship of the wily lawyer,''' Mr Jaggers''' . But a life of idleness and pleasure begin to have an effect on his partially formed and easily influenced character, desptie the loyal and honest friendship of his flatmate Herbert Pocket, and Jagger's Chief Clerk, Wemmick
      Pip's life of decadence leads him to make worse and worse choices and neglect the constant people in his life, until, at last, the revelation of his secret benefactor turns his life upside down once more. He is finally forced to face reality and undo some of the wrongs he has done, but will it all be too late.

Conclusion

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The story had many twists and turns and the characters were rich and interesting, but more than anything I liked the style of Dickens' writing. Although, of course some of the language is dated, the artistry and wit shines through, and many of his truths are universal and ageless. I highly recommend everyone to read this book and I am looking forward to discovering even more of Dicken repetoire.

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 20:37
      Very helpful
      (Rating)

Advantages

• "excellent value for money"
      • "good flavour"

Disadvantages

• none

none of your sauce now!

NB: This product is now sold as '''Every day value brown sauce''' and is packaged in a squeezy bottle

Why I bought it
      I have been a bargain hunter all my life, and am always happy to buy own brand products if they are of a good standard. Tesco Every Day Value Brown Sauce easily fits into this category, allowing me to save money without affecting my lifestyle.
      The Packaging and Price
      This is now packaged in an "upside down" squeezy bottle. Containing 560g of brown sauce, the bottle is rectangle in shape with sligtht indentations for the hand- The bottle is clear, so you can see how much sauce you have left and it sits quite sturdily on its wide white plastic flip-top lid, with the predominantly brown coloured label pasted on upside down too.

I like to keep my sauces in the fridge once opened, and as the bottle stands 18cm tall, I find I have to store it in the lower shelf of the fridge door next to the milk as it will not stand anywhere else in my fridge.
      I have had my latest bottle for a few months now, and to be hones, t I have purchased these so often, just chuck it in the basket without checking the price, but a quick look at Tescos website tells me that i am currently paying just 29p for this product...as I said I like a bargain.

So what does it taste like?
      Honestly...it tastes liek brown sauce! I really cannot tell the difference between this and a bottle of heinz or Daddies. Perhaps it is my taste buds, but I really cannot tell the difference. Of course this does not compare to HP sauce, which has it's own special flavour.
      It is quite thick, and as I squeeze a blob out of the samll dispensing hole in the lid onto my finger, it hold it's shape well. The colour is a mid to dark brown and has a glossy sheen.

The flavour is initially a sharp vinigary tang, quickly followed by a richer smoky flavour....exactly what I want for my chips, and an essential on my bacon sandwich.
      Conclusion
      For 29p I think this is an absolute bargain, especially when other brown sauces in the same shop range from 65p all the way up to 2.49. It gives me exactly the sharp tangy flavour I am looking for to enhance my food, and is absultely never going to break the budget....Yeah Tescos!

Comments

• More +
      26.11.2014 20:35
      Very helpful
      (Rating)

Advantages

• "delicious hot home made meal when you get home"

Disadvantages

• "might be a bit large for smaller families"

slowly does it

About 2 months ago we made a large purchase from Argos and were given a 10 pound voucher for our troubles. Now not being one to turn down free money we cast around for something to spend our money on and came up with the idea of a slow cooker.

why we chose this mode & price
      We decided on a slow cooker because we lead very busy modern lives and the various members of the family all come in at different times during the evening, all of course starving to death.
      Our choice of slow cookers was also limited to the range on sale in Argos due to the voucher we had received, and we settled on this Cookworks model as the best value for money from their range.

It was (and still is) on sale at Argos for 19.99 which I think is a complete bargain considering how often we have used it already, and of course we got a tenner off this price with our voucher.
      Style and Design
      Don't get me wrong...this slow cooker is huge! Well the description tells you that, 6.5 litres is a very large capacity. But actually once it had found it's place on our kitchen worktop, we soon got used to the size of it and now its seems fine.

The main body is of brushed stainless steel, with a drop in ceramic casserole dish, which seats itself very neatly inside showing just a half inch black rim over the top. This is nicely set of by the black plastic base which is finished off with a half inch black band showing at the bottom. The whole stylish look is finished off by a single black knob on the front and two black carrying handles, one on each side.
      It is oval in shape and has a heavy clear glass lid with a black central handle topping of the whole .

How it works
      The control knob is simple and virtually idiot proof. You are offered the choice of 4 different settings, Off, Low. High and Warm, and a small red light indicates that the cooker is functioning. The Low Setting is for when we are expecting to be out all day and very late home. It will take 10 to 12 hours to cook the food. The High Setting will cook our meal in 6 - 8 hours, and the Warm Setting will keep our cooked food warm until we need it.
      We simply fill it with our chosen ingredients in the morning, turn it onto either the High or Low setting depending on our days agenda, and leave. When we come home later in the day, we have a delicious cooked ,meal which we can just spoon onto a plate and eat....delicious!

Cleaning and Maintenance
      =
      When the food is all eaten, the drop-in casserole dish and the glass lid can be simple lifted out and washed up as one would wash any casserole dish. I believe it is dishwasher proof, but we wash up by hand in our house. It is however, as I said before a very large utensil, and does not fit easily into the washing up bowl we use. I have to place it on it's end and wash one side at a time, but so far, it has cleaned up beautifully with just a little attention from the plastic scourer.
      The rest of the machine is of course an elecrtical item and cannot be washed up, but as the food does not touch it this is not a problem. After I have unplugged it from teh mains, I give it a quick wipe over with a damp cloth to mop up any spill or marks.
      What we cook
      We have so far cooked, stewing steak, pork belly, chicken thighs, and saugages in this machine. We so far have always cooked a stew/casserole type of meal, but I believe dryer type recipes can also be used. A recipe book come with the cooker, and there are thousands of ideas and recipes on the internet

We generall add root vegetable such as carrots, sweet potato, onions, parsnip, turnips etc. We nearly always add potatoes so that there is a complete meal in one pot, and sometimes we will add other vegetables such as peas, beans and sweetcorn.
      We add cornflour, gravy browning and various herbs to boiling water that we pour over the ingredients, and find a chug of worcestershire sauce and a spoonful of marmite give body to the flavour. In our most recent meal we also added a purchased casserole mix which added an extra dimension to the flavours.

Some recipes we have seen on the internet advocate lightly browning the meat before adding to the slow cooker, but I haven't got time for faffing around, and I dont want to dirty extra pots and pans. The whole lot gets chucked in and left and it comes out just fine.
      So what does it taste like?
      I must admit that our very first meal was a bit bland, but I believe this was because of the sheer size of the 6.5 litre capaacity. Since then we have added larger amounts of flavouring and seasoning, and every meal has been delicious. The meat has always cooked to a point where it falls apart under the fork and melts in the mouth. The vegatables, are always throroughly cooked. I like them best after 6 hours on the high setting, as I find it the meal is left cooking for 8 hours or more then the potato can start becoming more mush than vegetable. But we have a system where the first one home turns the machine onto the warm setting, and then its kept at a perfect stage of cooking for all of us.

We can cook enough food in tis one machine to feed six adults with no problem, sometimes all at one sitting, other times we have food left over for the next day. The food is always beautifully cooked and the heavy lid ensures that it does not dry out at all.
      I am left with the conclusion that I wish I had bought one years ago, it is a comlete boon in the kitchen of a busy household, and I have no problem at all in recommending it.

Comments

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 66467
  • Sort by:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 37959

* Prices may differ from that shown