• Samsung Galaxy S / Mobile Phone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.12.2014 02:18

Advantages

• compact
      • stylish

Disadvantages

• "low battery"

brilliant first smart phone but old now.

With dimensions of 122.4mm x 64.2 x 9.9 mm it's a good 5mm taller than many rivals and about the same amount wider. This doesn't make it completely unmanageable and it certainly isn't on the same level as the Dell Streak, but it is pushing the limits of what we'd call a sensible size for everyday use. At 9.9mm thin, it should at least have minimal impact on the line of your trousers or jacket.

That sleekness also comes across in the phone's design. Aside from its Samsung logo, the front of the phone is very clean and simple, and the pattern of little dots on the back of the phone does retain this sleekness - albeit less effectively. Obviously there's the general feeling of homage to the iPhone, but when it's as nicely done as the Galaxy S we certainly aren't complaining too much.
      However, it's a different story when it comes to build quality. Again, the front is doing okay. Its single piece of glass that covers the screen and bezel feels tough and should resist scratches well, as should the metallic rim around the edge. However, the back is finished in glossy plastic that scratches easily and flexes slightly, just taking the edge off any feeling of quality. Also adding to this general impression is the lightness of the device. Although a weight of 121g isn't considerably lower than many smartphones, on such a large device it makes it seem a bit flimsy.

Other initial complaints include the lack of a flash for the camera and the three buttons on the front. For a start, we're not fans of touch sensitive buttons – they're too easy to press accidentally and because they lack visual feedback, like on a touchscreenn, you're sometimes left wondering if you've actually pressed them. Also having two buttons be touch sensitive and one a physical button just seems a bit odd.

• Scosche bandEDGE / Mobile Phone Case / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.12.2014 02:05

Advantages

• "easy grip"
      • "dent free sides"

Disadvantages

• "no backing"

Not very useful

These sort of bumper cases for iphone 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 5c ETC seem to be pretty good in stopping the phone from denting on the sides. So if you drop your phone by accident you wont get any damage the the side casing. My only concern with these bumper casings are that it has no backing so for the Iphone 4,and 4s they have to protection and the glass may shatter. I would be very devastated if i have dropped my phone and smashed the back as i have done before. As with the Iphone 5, and the 5s its a metal casing, and again if you drop that on something sharp you could scratch the casing. Not too bad if you only drop it as you would smash the back. They say these rubber bumper cases are for protection but i believe not. They do not bounce or rebound off the floor as they was designed to do. I ordered a few rubber bumpers all in different colours the quality was pretty poor for the price that i paid for them. I paid £17.99 for 3 in blue, red, and pink. I wish i had not bought these items at all. They were fine for about a month. Then they started going a very grubby colour. The first one then split and all i was left with was the plastic that was holding the rubber parts in place. All in all i would not recommend these at all.

23.12.2014 01:48

Advantages

• "good camera"
      • "slick and stylish"

Disadvantages

• "not enough internal memory"

stylish little phone and good value for money.

this phone is a lovely small and cheek design. compared to the normal sized s3 its screen i feel is a decent size. the normal s3 is too big. when i had my first samsung galaxy s3 mini i thought too small and too flimsy. but my all means its not. I feel it could be better in some aspects, such as, the memory capibility, and they keyboard. It think they are the only dis advantages to the phone its self. starting with the key board as its a touch screen qwerty the letters seem to be squeezed together. When you also tap any key on the phone it doesnt vibrate. I wish it would vibrate, as silly as it sounds i write more acurate and typer faster when i can get vibrating keyboard. even when downloading apps to try and get the haptic feed back to work on the samsung galaxy s3 mini. Also when you hold a letter to try and get a number up it takes too long before the number will appear. anyway the internal memory for me is an issue too. As i am a person ho loves to play games and of course we need our apps for other things. and when you ave used up all the internal space no more apps can be downloaded to the SD memory card. But over all this phone is pretty decent and its is brilliant value for the price it is at right now. Happy reviewing.

• Spring Sensation / Plant / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.12.2014 23:07

Advantages

Disadvantages

Quick plant them now!

If you're looking to start planning plants and flowers for your garden now is the time!
      Forget xmas, forget new year, think Chelsea flower show in your own back yard! Kind of, well at least think positive!

PLANTING.
      Any garden centre or hardware store should have a mix of sensational spring bulbs in stock ready for eager green fingers.
      I normally buy a mix because I like to see the range and be surprised, others like to know what they are planting so aim to buy snowdrops or daffodils etc and create a very focused part of the garden on one plant.
      At this time of year [mainly cold] break up the ground and make sure your soil is loose to add the bulbs into.

Now is the perfect time if you haven't already [sept is also very good]

The rule of thumb for, depth, is usually, plant twice the size of the bulb in the earth not a literal thumb size as naughtily advised in one garden centre I visited.
      And the distance between each is measured differently. If the bulb is big than 12cm between each bulb but if the bulb is small 5cm.
      If you fancy doing something a bit different, designing a display or in a particular fashion to create a theme there really is no harm in how far apart but make sure the depth is twice the size of the bulb, always, give them space t grow but not look random.
      If your soil is sandy you will need to make sure that you water a lot because it tends to drain away quickly. We're blessed in our area that the soil is clay and holds the water so it doesn't tend to run dry and needs a lot of watering.

You can easily plant these indoors, it doesn't have to be an outdoor planting. So you can enjoy the full benefits in your own home. However, terracotta pots seem to crack more in the winter and cannot hold the amount of bulbs very well plastic is better.

Over the years in buying the spring mix, I have noticed a trend in what grows first and this is shared by many on gardening blogs as well.
      For instance, the snowdrops will come through first followed by beautiful purple crocuses [ a very determined plant in our garden we have not replanted since five years ago and we have found they keep naturally coming back!], we start then getting tulips [my fav] more intense spring bulbs will then push through and daffodils, it really is wonderful to watch especially if you buy a mix and not 100% sure what you'll get.
      Planting has also been benefitting the bee population. They say there is a shortage but I swear they are all in our garden! The butterflies also have brigthened up the garden and just purchasing a mix of srping bulbs have added more than a bit of colour into our garden and we have been able to make cutting s for friends and replant them.

22.12.2014 22:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

A moment of tranquility.

Now believe it or not in my experience this is the one that I find is out of stock the most and I can understand why. [It is mentioned that it has been discontinued but I can still see purchases online especially in a gift set]
      This is absolute heaven in a bottle. Ylang Ylang is merged with coconut milk to create a wonderful fragrance and a brilliant bathing cream, they have, for good measure, thrown in Papaya to bring extra comfort and softening of the skin.
      It doesn't get much better than this out of the four main bathing cream's from Champney here in my opinion.
      The sense of peace and calm in the bathroom created by the oils only prepares you for what's to come in the way it leaves your skin ultra silky soft and refreshed. It certainly helps you to relax and get a better nights sleep. The scent really does linger for a lot longer than you'd expect and I would highly recommend this product. x

22.12.2014 22:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not my fav but still amazing x

This is a little bit of sunshine in a bottle. I gazed at the gorgeous packaging of the jar for so long I forgot what I had brought this for!

The sensational blue colour represents the heavenly mediterranean feel that Champneys brings to you in your own home in a bottle and I couldn't be more grateful.

A cocktail of fig milk, olive leaf and green tomato[!!!] this is sent from them, CHAMPNEYS EXPERTS to us the wonderful public, to condition, moisturize and soften our skin in the comfort of our own home.
      I prefer to use this during the summer because the scent really helps you get through those heavy long days and creates a gorgeous atmosphere.
      I tend to soak my skin in this brand of bath creams for at least ten minutes to get the full benefits of the product and it works.
      I have seen the results on my skin as it looks more radiant and the scent lasts all day.
      This is reasonably priced and last a long time as it lathers up extremely well.
      This is not my favourite of the four main baths cream so I have to be honest in my review, but this is more like a positive three. xx

22.12.2014 22:15

Advantages

• "Matches my skintone"
      • "No irritation"
      • "Doesn't cake"
      • "Good coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Need to reapply throughout the day"

A good quality powder that fits my face

I am super pale and find it very difficult to find base makeup products to suit my skintone. I was pleased when I was looking at the Maybelline makeup range in my local Boots and saw that their new Fit Me powder would probably suit. This is available in several shades; mine is 120: Classic Ivory, which is perfect for my skin.

Maybelline introduced the Fit Me range as a range of base products to perfectly fit your skin tone. It consists of 3 steps:

Step 1: Fit Me Foundation unifies the skintone.
      Step 2: Fit Me Concealer corrects the appearance of imperfections.
      Step 3: Fit Me Powder mattifies and sets for a natural, non-cakey looking finish.

So far I’ve only used the foundation and the powder, because despite the claims of suiting every skin tone, even the lightest concealer is far too dark for me. The foundation I have is ever so slightly too dark, though it is still wearable if I blend carefully; only the powder is a perfect match.

The powder compact is square and black, with a clear plastic window allowing you to see the colour of the powder. Inside, the powder is in a round pan, and you can lift it up to find a mirror and a powder puff. In one respect, this is very handy: everything you need to apply your powder in one handy portable compact. However, I do wish the mirror had been on the lid; as it is, I have to keep flipping it up and down, to get powder on the powder puff and then look in the mirror as I apply it!

The compact only costs £5.99, which I think is a bargain. It is reasonably sturdy and has survived a few months of being tossed around in my bag. Maybelline state that the powder is designed to give natural, flawless coverage.

I really like this powder; it does give good coverage, and doesn’t cake so long as I am careful during application. It matches my skintone and doesn’t cause irritation. I have to reapply it a couple of times during the day, but this is normal for face powders, I find.

Overall this is a really good product. It isn’t my favourite face powder – I still love L’Oreal’s True Match powder – but it is a high quality – and cheaper – alternative.

• Easyprint.co.uk / Online Shopping Misc / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.12.2014 22:07

Advantages

• "design templates "
      • "range "
      • price

Disadvantages

• none

great company for printing

i used easy print uk for my new business cards for the charity that runs local community centre the cards turned out great clear printing and the companys online design tool was very helpful and allowed me to design and order the cards in about 15 mins there is a wide choice of design templates to use and they also allow you to add your own logos to the design or if you already have a design you can upload it once ordered they were printed and delivered and in great time with updates along each stage of the process i am planning to order more from this company as they do give a great service great print quality and also a wide range of products

• Easyprint.co.uk / Online Shopping Misc / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.12.2014 22:03

Advantages

• "design templates "
      • "range "
      • price

Disadvantages

• none

great company for printing

22.12.2014 21:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Heavy packaging"

Opulent by name, opulent by nature

This has become a staple classic over the years for Champneys and it is constantly on a number of wish lists for me.

This is an absolutely stunning blend of oils with a heavenly fragrance.
      Mixing Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang and Patchouli oil to create a sensational smell that you are blessed to bathe in and really goes to work on your skin. Softening it and relaxing your mind as you enjoy this product.

This is serious luxury for any bathtime and to unwind at the end of a hard day's work.
      From the packaging, to the scent to how it leaves you feeling, you get that little bit of SPA heaven in your bathroom.
      You only need a small amount of this to lather up really well so you get to have plenty of SPA time with this 400ml bottle/ jar.
      Only slight downside is the packaging is it's quite heavy other than that who cares the product is worth its weight in gold.

• Hollyhocks / Plant / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.12.2014 21:31

Advantages

• "Grew all by itself."

Disadvantages

• "Attracts slugs."

My Hardy, White, Self-Sown Hollyhock

One year, as if from nowhere, but probably brought by a bird in the form of a seed, a hollyhock appeared in my garden. It grew into a metre high plant on the north side of a tree that birds like to visit, especially in the autumn for the fruit.

The hollyhock was a pleasant surprise for me. The following year there was no sign of growth there though.

However, there was something growing to the south of the tree. It appeared to be exactly the same hollyhock that had decided it preferred a new position. More logically the original plant had self-seeded, or a bird has left me another deposit.

There the hollyhock has stayed in the new position for a few years now, with little attention from me, but unfortunately lots of attention from hungry slugs who love to eat its leaves. Scattering ground down egg shells has deterred the slimy creatures a bit, as they prefer not to slither over anything sharp, but some still come to have a good nibble. They do leave the flowers for me to admire though.

According to garden experts hollyhocks need full sun and moist, rich but well drained soil. My hollyhock is growing in the shade of a tree, which seems to take most of the moisture and goodness from the surrounding area.

Also they are apparently prone to a fungal disease called rust, which starts from the lower leaves and then works its way upwards if not treated. Well perhaps I should thank the slugs for devouring the bottom leaves, because my hollyhocks have never had rust.

Most hollyhocks are biennials, which grow leaves only in the first year, flower the second, and then die, but my hollyhock has flowered for a few years now.

My hollyhock variety has large open white flowers growing up a central stem, but I have also seen others in a variety of colours including pink, red and dark mauve.

I would imagine that most tall hollyhocks (they can grow up to 9 ft tall) would like a stack to help keep them upright in the wind, but the lower branches of my tree give my hollyhock all the support it needs.

My hollyhock seems to have broken a lot of the rules that gardening experts say they should follow, but it has given me some good summer flowers. However, similar plants in gardens near me, which have a sunny location, have grown taller than mine.

• London & Country Mortgages / Mortgage / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.12.2014 21:18

Advantages

• "no charges for the customer"
      • "Very regular updates through the process"
      • "Everything can be done easily by phone call and email"

Disadvantages

• " only slight niggle was house valuation but that wasn't L&C's fault"
      • "none really"

I would definitely recommend L&C for any mortgage enquiry

Excellent service and great value for money. L&C find the best rates and take you through the whole process from enquiry to mortgage offer in an easy to work with manner

• Transcend 8 GB SDHC / Flash Memory / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.12.2014 20:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

Making Memories!

I bought this 8GB SDHC card a few years ago when I had just bought a new digital camera.

What is an SD card?
      SD stands for Secure Digital and an SD card is most commonly used for inserting in your digital camera and any photographs that you take will be stored on the SD card.
      HC just stands for high capacity.

About this card
      The card has 8GB of memory so you can store around 1920 8 megapixel photos or 1280 12 megapixel photos.
      There is a number on the front of the card written inside the letter ‘C’, which represents is the class number. This card is a class 10. The class number refers to write speed. Class 10 means that the card can write at at least 10 megabytes per second. This refers to taking photographs and videos and also data that is transferred to the card.

Price
      This card is available on amazon.co.uk for £5.90, which is great value. I think I paid closer to £10.00 a few years ago.

My experience
      I have used this in about 4 different digital cameras and I have been really impressed with it.
      I used it yesterday and I was taking lots of photographs one after the other and it coped really well, but eventually I did run out of space on the 8GB card so had to delete some of my older photos, which I have already backed up on my laptop anyway.
      I had photos and videos on there from years ago; some of concerts, holidays, days out, weddings etc. so it does hold plenty and I imagine it would be big enough for most people.
      I have had no problems at all with the performance of this SD card and I am happy with the amount of photos and video footage it holds.
      I don’t use it to transfer computer documents. I just use it for my camera.
      To transfer photographs to my computer from the SD card I just simply insert it into the SD slot on my computer/laptop and a box appears and I am able to view the files. The transferring of files is very quick, even if there is quite a lot to transfer.
      If you don’t have a SD slot on your computer/laptop you can use a wire to transfer the photos from your camera/ SD card to your computer. The wire usually comes with your camera, but this can eat away at your camera battery so it isn’t the most convenient way of doing things.
      I am convinced that it is a good quality product. It has served me well.
      If I was going to buy another SD card I would probably opt for the Transcend 32GB card as it is on Amazon.co.uk for just £13.00, which I think is very reasonable as it is about double the price of the 8GB card, but it holds 4 times the amount of photos and videos.

• Verbena / Plant / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      22.12.2014 18:21

Advantages

• "Easy to grow/maintain"
      • "Very attractive to butterflies/bees"
      • "They look fanastic."

Disadvantages

Beautiful Purple Flowers Adored By Butterflies!

A couple of years ago I saw a deal for a bundle pack of flower seeds for a very cheap purchase price. My garden was looking quite bare and I wanted some colourful flowers that would grow at all heights to create some interesting visuals. I also wanted flowers that would attract insects and in the catalogue where I bought these seeds it said that Verbena was particularly attractive to butterflies.

When I got the seeds I planted them in a small tub especially meant for seedlings with some fresh compost. I placed this in a warm windowsill and eventually I grew about five separate seedlings. I did expect more but I was happy enough with what I managed to grow.

I planted the seedlings outside when it became warm enough in the beginning of May and used a home-made cloche to protect the seedlings until they had adjusted to the climate and had grown substantially to be more sturdy. I planted them in a full sun spot in the garden and they were alongside a fence which they now lean against slightly since they have grown tall.

The variety I have (Verbena bonariensis) is extremely tall (around 6-7 ft) with thin spindly leaves that grow in a V-shape. They flower from June to September in a strong purple with tiny bunches of petals on little heads which you wouldn't think would be so attractive to insects. However, I can testify that both butterflies and bees absolutely love this plant! I especially see a lot of peacock butterflies on the plant. However I have also seen Red Admirals, commas, skippers and several white varieties on them. I also had a nest of tree bees frequently visiting the flowers this last year. The flowers have a rather mild fragrance to me but they must be very attractive to the insects! The head of the flowers are at eye level so you can get excellent views of the landing insects! The flowers really are a beautiful addition to any garden and look fantastic in a flower bed with other lower level flowers nearby.

The plants I cultivated have flowered for two years now. They are best trimmed back in the spring and there is some dead woody branches which usually need to be removed. However, they are very low maintenance in general. I would definitely recommend these to any wildlife gardener who might want to increase insect visitation to the garden.

• Tesco Clubcard / Credit Card / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.12.2014 17:53

Advantages

• Generous
      • "Points build up rapidly"

Disadvantages

A Wonderful Rewards Scheme!

Tesco ClubCard is a loyalty/rewards card for the supermarket retailer Tesco. It allows you to earn points every time you shop at the store. The store then converts the points to pounds every few months and sends you a voucher for the amount of points you've earned to spend in store.

I have a lot of store loyalty cards in my purse but my favourite card is the Clubcard. Why? I find it's so easy to earn points and it's also a very generous point conversion with options often available to double your points to spend on certain departments in Tesco.

As a member of the Clubcard scheme the store also send you out money off vouchers for certain grocery products. These are often tailored to your interests and are based on products you have bought in the past when you have swiped your Clubcard. You can use these alongside your accumulated points voucher too, so it can end up as quite a substantial saving amount.

Points are awarded per pound per shop and 1 point equals 1 penny. You can also gain points from doing things such as taking your own shopping bag into store (1 point per bag). There are also occasional point making opportunities that crop up online such as consumer surveys or product testing panels.

Your vouchers can be used online with a code printed on each voucher or taken into store and swiped alongside your Clubcard. The store often runs promotions where you can double your points if you have at least £5 in points saved. I have only partaken in this once and managed to double the voucher and get £10 of products in the pet department! It's a very appealing deal!

As a Clubcard customer you have to register with your full details and then you have an online account where you can print off unused vouchers, check your points balance and where you have used the card lately, see where you can spend points and more. You can use your vouchers in any store you like. There has been some controversy recently about customers having their points vouchers stolen. Incredibly anyone can take another customer's voucher and scan it with their own Clubcard. I think this is about the only flaw in the scheme!

As far as supermarket incentives go I think the Tesco Clubcard scheme is number one and it certainly makes me return to shop at the store even when I live closer to a rival supermarket! I would definitely recommend this card to anyone who ever shops at Tesco. It can save you a lot of money!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown