• HP 620 / Laptop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      13.02.2016 18:17

Advantages

• durability
      • "High quality "

Disadvantages

• "no square keyboard with numbers"
      • "A bit heavy for a girl"

My dearest laptop

This review has been originally posted on my Ciao page: http://www.ciao.co.uk/HP_620__Review_6168220
      First of all, I am writing this review using HP 620:) This laptop has been travelling with me for more than 4 years. Though it has been a little wounded, it still serves me a good deal. So, as you might have understood, my HP620 has suffered some situations, but it is still alive, and I am going to tell you how it functions after all.

1. Once it fall from the bed on the floor. It was 1 year old then. I was so scared, but it was young and overcame this disaster successfully. Though now it lacks a small piece of corner on the lid, I do not notice it, and it does not influence any of its functions.
      2. Another time, I poured a cup of tee with sugar on it! It was 2 years old then and I was sure that I should say good bye to my lovely laptop and was going to bury it with the tears in my eyes. But I had a nice friend who suggested me to clean it quickly with a towel and put it over so that the keybord is lying on the table. What do you think? In a couple of hours all keys on the keyboard wokred! I even did not have to repair anything.

3.Recently, I lost my temper and hit my HP620 on the keyboard. I thought, I crashed. But only two keys flew out. They function, but their plastic cover is out.
      What I like most of all
      In my opinion, it is very good that HP620 has mat display, namely it has High Gloss. So, it does not matter for me from which side the sun shines. Everything is clear and visible. Moreover, I like that it is so durable. After all disasters that happened to it, my laptop is a hero for me. It has nice quality of picture 15,6inches (1366 x 768). It has 250 Gb of hard disk memory.

What I like less
      It has not the best camera, only 2 Mp. Moreover, it will be inconvenient for the users who have got used to the square number keyboard in the right corner. HP620 doesn't have it. It has only a line of numbers over the letters. Moreover, after 4 years of use, its battery has become weak and constantly sends me the signal that it should be changed.

• The Hallmark Channel / TV Channel / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      13.02.2016 12:52

Advantages

• "Good new comedy"

Disadvantages

• "No belly laughs"

The Detectorists - now showing on Hallmark

As well all know to our detriment it’s very hard for TV to make a decent sitcom these days, let alone get it to stick. The first series of Fools & Horses wasn’t great and the second season of Dads Army was originally cancelled. But the BBC had the foresight to see the winning ingredients were there and they just needed another big stir and bought to the boil to create the perfect broth. But this is not the 1970s and so most things that we were allowed to laugh at then we are not allowed to laugh at now and so very few modern sitcoms get real laughs. We deny ourselves taboo giggles in the pursuit of political correctness. Rigsby and Phillip dealt with the race stuff brilliantly but no one in TV has the guts to go there anymore. Only gay comedians can do gay stereotypes. Hardly any of the great sitcoms of British TV would ever be green lighted today. The class war jokes still work but even that has been neglected. They even got rid of the ITV Comedy Awards because they were too funny and knowing on that score.

In the new millennium they tend to pick a popular stand up comedian and write around them, bringing that younger fan base. They are road tested on the soon to be defunct terrestrial station BBC3 and then dumped on BBC2 to die a death. Most TV viewers are over 50 now and they don’t want ‘Not Going Out’ and canned laughter. Lets face it, where would be most of the Levi strutting, Gingham shirt wearing ‘modern comedians’ without canned laughter? Where would Lee Mack be without canned laughter? The Office was the last risky sitcom to be made and will remain the last. The BBC tried to be edgy with Mr Khan but parodying 1970s Pakistanis to somehow placate extremism was silly and never going to get laughs with anyone in 2016 but the BBC had box ticked their ethnic sitcom quota and so new series after new series of Mr Khan. The less said about Mrs Browns Boys the better, In a way the new Dads Army movie sums up the problems TV and film makers have today in making us laugh as all the things that made us laugh about the old codgers in the original TV series and movie in the 1970s have been stripped out and labeled inappropriate. The cupboard is bare with what that leaves them to work with and so they come up with terrible sitcoms that can’t possibly offend anyone but don’t make anyone laugh. Fortunately Ireland didn’t take offence at Father Ted and the thick Irishmen send up was not deemed offensive. The IT Crowd is a rare exception of a sitcom that didn’t need to offend anyone to make it funny as the creators of Father Ted figured IT workers were a group they could offend without being taken to court, as long as they were not gay, black, Irish or transgender.

The Detectorists interested me as its less sitcom and more comedy drama, going out on BBC 4 and wrapped up in cotton wool there in case it is picked apart on mainstream channels. I think they are being a tad precious with it as it would have an audience on BBC2 and its above average at what it does and very well acted and so deserves to be seen. In fact it’s the most successful comedy on BBC4 to date.

The concept is based around a metal detecting club and like the IT Crowd has two actors playing friends/losers in the lead to get you to like them and garner your sympathy. It’s written by MacKenzie Crook from The Office and he also plays the lead alongside fellow character actor Toby Jones, the two limited to playing supporting roles in films and TV shows because they are rather odd looking but good actors all the same. We have had two series so far and 12 episodes in total and both available on DVD. In real life Crook metal detects and obviously where he got the idea. Thye weren’t always actors and the geeks they look like. Write what you know.

===The Cast===

Mackenzie Crook…….. as Andy Stone
      Toby Jones as…….. Lance Stater
      Lucy Benjamin as………. Maggie, Lance's ex-wife who runs a spiritualist supplies shop
      Rachael Stirling as……… Becky
      Aimee-Ffion Edwards as…….. Sophie
      Adam Riches as……… Tony
      Gerard Horan as…….. Terry
      Sophie Thompson as…….. Sheila, Terry's wife.
      Pearce Quigley as…….. Russell
      David Sterne as………. Larry Bishop
      Simon Farnaby as…….. Phil, nicknamed "Art", the leader of the "Dirtsharks’.
      Divian Ladwa as……… Hugh
      Laura Checkley as…….. Louise
      Orion Ben as…….. Varde
      Daniel Donskoy as……. Peter
      Diana Rigg as……Becky’s Mother

===The Series===

Series one was a slow burner and its one of those shows you can lose your patience with but the gentle summer’s days of detecting in traditional green British countryside of twittering birds and rustling trees just gentle teases you in and all rather soothing.

We meet mature archeology student and general factotum Andy Stone (McKenzie Crook) and his best mate forklift driver Lance Slater (Toby Jones), who drives a TR7 (Mackenzie Crooks in real life), and both members of the north Essex Danebury Metal Detecting club run by retried policemen Terry (Gerard Horan).

Word is out of a potential exciting treasure hidden on a local farm. Trouble is, the owner, Larry Bishop (David Sterne) is notorious for discouraging trespassers, and it is rumored that his wife is buried on the property. The boys are tactful and get the rights to detect on the land and select the bottom field after some detailed research. The site they are detecting could be the burial site of King Sexred of The East Saxons. But rival detecting group, ‘The Dirtshanks’, headed by the arrogant and pompous Art (Simon Farnaby), has also got wind and joins the hunt. Let the battle begin.

Season two and Andy and teacher girlfriend Becky (Rachael Stirling) have had a baby together but Andy is yet to find regular work. A young German guy (Daniel Donskoy) has arrived in Danebury and looking for his long last dead pilot grandfather and wants the club to try and find the crashed Junkers. Pretty detectorists and student Sophie (Aimee-Ffion Edwards), who has a crush on Andy, soon falls for the arrogant German. Lance is also looking for love and goes onto an online dating site. Other members of the club have been assigned to find the missing mayors chains after one to many in the local pub.

Becky is bored with her Essex comprehensive and wants to go to Africa to teach poor black kids, a dream the couple once talked about. Andy thinks Africa is no place for a young baby whilst Becky flirts with a new handsome teacher to annoy Andy and bring him out of his rut. Meanwhile the detecting club is hexed by one member carrying a lucky gold coin, which superstition dictates is anything but lucky, and the team now cant even detect a coke can, a Jim Will Fix IT badge their best find all week. But a much bigger treasure is just around the corner to put the Danbury Detecting club on the map.

===Any good?===

Have MacKenzie and Toby Jones struck comedy gold? Sort of. It’s the type of show that will appeal to BBC4 viewers as its tranquil and not in your face and very well written and more like therapy than comedy. The bittersweet melancholy will find plenty of fans on BBC4 as the show and writer gains confidence after three or so episodes of series one. It’s not a laugh a minute thing but very well written as the two losers and their geeky oddball friends beep away in muddy grassy fields looking for hidden treasure. The detecting acts as a suitable metaphor for people looking for something new to brighten up their humdrum lives and what truly lies beneath the human skin and with a dash of the Vicar of Dibley about it retains that comfortably pair of British sitcom thermals to keep you warm.

With 12 episodes to date it’s unclear if there is anew series coming down the line or Crook has learnt from Ricky Gervais that two series is enough. Like The Office it resonates most of its humor on the traditional British stiff upper lip mid life crisis and you can imagine the actors going through it in their own private life as they write and act the work. It’s just perfect for a white middle aged and class audience. In a way it reminds me of the Darling Buds of May, a show none of us thought we would enjoy but we all ended up watching it.

===Ratings===

Imdb.com – 8.6/10.0 (2,342)

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      13.02.2016 11:32

Advantages

• "Easy to use website"
      • "Hassle-free PC built"
      • "Good price"

Disadvantages

• "Hard (if not impossible) to choose any component different from the suggestions"

PC Specialist, your in-house IT. Easy to configure your PC and good prices

I discovered PC Specialist when talking with a friend about my situation. I wanted to built a custom PC but I needed someone to build it for me.
      Luckily PC Specialist exists. It's so easy to choose what you need and the suggestions are really nice.
      I'll use it again and won't doubt to recommend to anyone in my same situation.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      13.02.2016 11:22

Advantages

• "Fast delivery"
      • "Build custom PC without any hassle"

Disadvantages

• "Hard (if not impossible) to choose different components from the suggestions"

PC Specialist, your in-house IT. High quality service and delivery. I'll use it again sure

I found PCSpecialist through a colleague recommendation. I've always wanted a service like the one this company offers: choose your custom PC and have someone to build it for you. PCSpecialist does a great job with the suggestions and make the decision much easier.
      I would always recommend this website to anyone who is in my same situation.

13.02.2016 09:18

Advantages

• "PC build very helpful in advising where items chosen not suitable or over spec"
      • "Website easily navigated"

Disadvantages

• "None so far"

Excellent website for building your own spec PC.

On reflection I could have improved my spec if I had consulted PCSpecialist by phone. But that was my fault.
      There was a communication problem which resulted in about a week of non receipt of production update but was rectified very quickly on enquiry. Notifications were very prompt after that.
      Build appears very good and setup information excellent.
      Text received on day of despatch and PC received next day.

12.02.2016 18:55

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Terrible management of card"

Lessons learnt give it a miss and go to Boots.Reward card and service much better

This is the second attempt I have made to use the beauty card.I had a card about 2 years ago but didn't ever manage to register it. After several attempts to register this new one or go for the lost card option and register again I was still unsuccessful.I returned to the store to ask them if they thought there was a problem from their till point but they said not and suggested I telephone the no from the website . I spoke to the operator who kept apologising for the system failure. She was unable to sort the card out and after taking my email address and phone no several times she promised me she would ask for further advise and call me back within 10 minutes.Needless to say that was the last I heard from them. Lessons learnt if you need beauty products I suggest Boots.Good service and points are great.

• Ebuyer.com / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      12.02.2016 17:46

Advantages

• "Great customer service"

Disadvantages

Will be contacting Asus direct as suggested.

Great customer service from Daniel Carruthers again.

Thanks Dan, you are a credit to Ebuyer.

12.02.2016 16:31

Advantages

• Simple
      • Quality
      • "Competitive "
      • "Transparent "

Disadvantages

Simple, transparent, hassle-free. Recommended!

Really pleased with my PC! The flexibility to be able to afford an i7 processor by sacrificing one or two other components was really hard to find. Custom case looks amazing. All good!

12.02.2016 15:14

Advantages

• "very competitive price"
      • "well built"
      • powerful

Disadvantages

• "not very stylish"
      • "a bit of heavy but this is due to the high spec"

highly recommended

This purchase is for university use. I need it to do some 3D modelling therefore powerful computation is a must. This laptop does it well and the price is very competitive compared with machines on the market. It is well built.

12.02.2016 10:36

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Easy
      • Quick

Disadvantages

Whatever you're looking for I'd recommend pcspecialist.co.uk

We needed to find an affordable laptop that would be able to multi-task with ease as well as have a big monitor for large spreadsheets.

We couldn't find what we were looking for on other websites but on pcspecialist.co.uk we were able to build our laptop online and at a very competitive price for the spec.

12.02.2016 10:24

Advantages

• "Easy to use website"
      • "Cheap vs. Named brands"
      • "Kept up to date about my order"
      • "No bloat ware"

Disadvantages

• "I guess was a little slow"

Great quality at a great price :D

We bought a new laptop with an SSD because our old harddrive just wasn't cutting it.

The laptop we received is FANTASTIC!

We placed our order and were kept up to date at every stage of building, felt very safe in this purchase.

12.02.2016 04:41

Advantages

• Squeaky
      • Fun!

Disadvantages

• LOUD
      • "Easily Destroyed"

Buy this toy and give your dog the best day ever!

This is, by far, my dogs all time favourite toy!! He has had 4 so far. They joy and utter excitement on his face when he hears that familiar squeak is enough to brighten anyone's day. Provides hours of fun (and noise!)...until he manages to tear it apart a pull out all the stuffing!

• Dell Inspiron One 23 / Desktop PC / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      12.02.2016 02:57

Advantages

• "Great speed for multi-tasking"
      • "Generous memory"
      • "A streamline Thin display"

Disadvantages

• "Basic Keyboard"
      • "Short power cord "
      • "Expensive for a Dell's Inspiron line"

A solid 4-star computer that provides more than enough memory and speed.

One great advantage of this model are; the massive 1TB hard drive giving 933GB of free space, a DVD/CD media drive and options for multiple ports, the newest version of Intel Core i7-4770S 3.1 GHz processor. All combined within a touch screen enabled monitor that also happens to be very lightweight.

No doubt the 12GB of RAM of memory is generous, making the move from one app to another very fast indeed!

There will be no issues of being bogged down by having multiple windows open or multitasking (if you fancy a bit of photo editing while streaming music for example...) doesn't bog down this system, this is a definite plus.

However, on the downside anyone that uses webcams a lot may be disappointed as the webcam available is pretty mediocre (0.92MP). The keyboard/mouse is quite basic- doesn't even have a caps lock indicator and the power cord is (for my liking) too short at around 5 feet.

• Nissan Micra 1.0L / Car / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      11.02.2016 17:27

Advantages

• "cheap to buy"
      • "cheap to run"

Disadvantages

Overall this car is the best thing for a first car. Very cheap to run.

brilliant first car. I had one of these as my first car and it was cheap to buy and cheap to run. I also find that I was able to drive it well after passing my test. I had a 3 door blue nissan micra which I loved and drove for two years before upgrading to a bigger car as my family grew. I would recommend this car to anyone.

11.02.2016 15:23

Advantages

• "Simple if you don't know what you're looking for"
      • "Good Price"
      • "Constant Updates"

Disadvantages

Very pleased, Kept informed, Great price and Beautiful computer

This is the first computer that I've bought for myself, having my first one built for me by a family member so I was a little worried. Firstly about what I was ordering and secondly about spending a decent sum of money online. However the website took me through what each part was best for, specs and all sorts and after my order the company kept in touch about what stage my computer was at.
      Wonderfully built at a really good price, and it didn't take much to set up once home. Over all really pleased and while PC's and laptops are not every day items I purchase if I need another I will come again and recommend to a friend 100%.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown