• Cats in General / Pet / Animal / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      05.09.2015 17:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Kitties!!!!!!!

I adore cats - and on Monday am going to pick up two beautiful furry babies - but I wish I had them right now!

Our much-loved and beautiful cat passed away a year last March, and in the year between we were descended on by my brother, who brought his cat along. She's lovely, but she destroys everything and has a huge amount of unstoppable energy.

So, now that the beautiful cat-in-law has moved into her and my brother's new home - complete with a new kitten that my oh-so-wise brother got from a friend, who now drives her completely crazy - we can finally get furry angels of our own. So, we went along to Cats Protection in search of two new friends - and found them. A sweet tortie girl, who is young and petite and precious, and a lovely tabby and white boy who is loving and cuddling and snuggly.

Both seem to suit us beautifully and are extremely loving (especially the boy - who will hug and kiss you to death. He gives actual kisses, it's adorable - I'm already completely and utterly in love with him and he with me, and of course I love the sweet little girl as well.) I've no doubt that there are going to be challenges - while both have lived with other cats before, they've never lived with each other - but with patience and care I'm sure we can get them settled down. I have loved and known cats my whole life - as long as you take things to their pace, you'd be surprised what they can adapt to.

So, all in all - and despite the cost of kitty carriers and litter trays and all of the other stuff that comes along with it - I'm very much looking forward to fetching my new cats home on Monday. Argh! I can't wait!

05.09.2015 15:25

Advantages

• "Smells neutral"
      • "Provides and even base for your foundation"
      • "Dries quickly"
      • "Smooths on easily"

Disadvantages

• " you pay a little more"
      • "As with all brand name cosmetics"

A fantastic primer which is worth the money.

I have a very basic knowledge of make-up. I'm definitely not a make-up expert or a beauty blogger, I don't spend hundreds of pounds each month on different brand name products.

One thing is though, I like to feel as though I look nice on a night out, and if I do put make up on during the day for work, I want to be safe in the knowledge that it's going to stay in place for the whole day.

I also don't like to spend an absolute fortune on various creams and lotions which are going to end up smothered on my face when I can spend less and get the same result.

Bare Minerals has always just worked for me. I've got sensitive skin to start with and when I go through my little phases of wearing make up every day, it doesn't take long before breakouts start to occur after a week or so of slathering my face in liquid foundation.

As a result, I took advice from a close friend and beautician who recommended Bare Minerals to me.

Previously I was paying much more for a primer with No7, this one is 10x better and you can buy it for anywhere between 16-21GBP for a 30ml bottle (depending on how good you are at shopping around online!).

After cleansing, toning and moisturising, once my skin is dry to the touch, I squeeze a small amount onto the tips of my fingers and apply in a small circular motion to my entire face, and the upper half of the neck which is going to have foundation placed upon it.

Once I've got a thin, even application all over my face and it has dried satisfactorily, I apply the Bare Minerals powder foundation which compliments it beautifully.

I will be interested to try this primer with a heavier foundation occasionally, such as a liquid based foundation, to see if this helps give an even smoother, more evenly layered application, because I do find with the powder foundations that they have more trouble being spread on evenly across the face.

Overall, I would recommend this primer to people with sensitive skin such as me, one of the beauties of the Bare Minerals collections is that their cosmetic products are natural and have fewer harmful chemicals in them compared to other leading brands.

If you want to try before you commit to buying a full sized bottle, Bare Minerals offer a lot of start up kits on their website (you can even build your own!) with smaller portions of various cosmetics and creams they offer, so go and take a look!

• Breville VBL062 / Blender / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      05.09.2015 13:55

Advantages

• "Useful bottles"
      • "Nice colour"
      • "Quick to blend"
      • "Easy to clean"

Disadvantages

• "Sometimes smells of hot plastic"

Love it

I've had this blender for a few weeks and I absolutely love it. To begin with, it's compact. As a 'mini-blender' it fits nicely on the work surface (bigger blenders take up too much space)and leaves lots of space for other appliances. The only slight problem with this is the bottles - mine came with 4 and I have to keep them in the cupboard because they would take up too much room. The bottles are an excellent idea. Not only do you save on washing up because you can use the same one to blend in as to drink (and just chuck them in the dishwasher when you've finished with it), but the come with secure lids so you can make smoothies in advance and take them with you if you're on the move or won't have time later. The bottles are a good size as well, because you can half fill them for one portion or make a larger (or multiple at once) - it's up to you.

In terms of blending materials, this can cope with all fruit and veg, and even ice (if in smallish pieces). I'd like to use mine to make almond butter as well, but I don't think its quite strong enough for that. However its absolutely perfect for a simple daily smoothie.

The only slight issue I could have with it is the slight smell of hot plastic I sometimes get when using it. I know others have noticed this, but so far aside from an interesting aroma it has caused me no problems.

Other than this, it's brilliant and makes delicious and smooth drinks!

• Acer Aspire E1-571 / Laptop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      05.09.2015 13:35

Advantages

• "Windows 8"
      • "Quick to start up"

Disadvantages

• "Webcam doesn't work"

Brilliant for daily use

I've had this laptop for almost 3 years now and I love it. It looks nice (I like the shiny top, the last one I had but a bit ugly), and it's not too heavy, so can easily be carried around if you need to work on the go. Mine came with Windows 8 which at first I didn't understand, but I've since grown to love it. Windows 8 is almost easier to use, because you can rearrange your start screen so the things you use most are where you want them. Even if you can't find an app then there's a helpful 'search' function to find it (I always lose 'excel' and its much easier and faster just to search than to scroll through pages of apps). The battery life of this is also good. At fully charged it normally lasts at least 2 hours, depending on what you're using it for (I tend to mostly use it for messing about online).
      This laptop also comes with a built-in webcam and disk drive, which is great for car or train journeys if you take a box set of DVDs to work your way through when there's no internet. However, for some reason my built in webcam doesn't work - although I don't know whether it's something I've done or a setting on the laptop itself. In theory this is faxable but since I don't need it I've just ignored it.

Overall this is a great laptop. I don't know how well it would deal with gaming since I've never done that and in the past that has messed up laptops in my family, but apart from that its great.

• Gummy Plus / Headphones / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      05.09.2015 13:00

Advantages

• "good sound"
      • "nice colour"
      • comfy
      • "stay in"

Disadvantages

• "Fall out when running"

Great earphones

Although I've now lost this pair, whilst I had them they were by far my favourite earphones. To start with, they were a great colour. White headphones are often a little dull, and can be easily lost and confused with others. This simply won't happen with a bright pink pair, so no headphone stealing by siblings or friends! As well as this they're a nice pink, not a sickly or neon one. My biggest problem with headphones is that they're often uncomfortable and can make your ear 'ache' inside, meaning you have to swap ears constantly. This was never a problem I encountered with these, they're so comfy to wear that you can go for hours with no ear pain (unlike what I've found with cheaper pairs). As well as this, the sound quality is much superior to others I've tried where you need to have the wire in at a certain angle to get a clean sound etc. Plus these are loud and clear enough that you can have 1 ear in whilst chatting to a friend in a busy area and still be able to hear your song fine. All in all I am a fan. My only problem with these is that they can fall out of my ears when I go running, which can be a bit annoying (although I don't think there's much that could be done to improve them, it's a problem I have will all brands) but it's a good excuse to have a quick breathe every now and then.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      05.09.2015 12:32

Advantages

• "Competitive Pricing"
      • "Delivery within the promised range"
      • "Good tracking of progress"
      • "User friendly website"

Disadvantages

Good product and great service - I will use them again

I found it as a stress free experience of buying from Pcspecialist. A bespoke desktop was what I needed and received it without any problem and so far it works as it should. Not being an expert on pc's, I found the whole experience user friendly. I would certainly use this company again after my first order..

• Canon EOS 500D / Digital Camera / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      05.09.2015 10:37

Advantages

• "Manual or preset"
      • "Fast to turn on"
      • "Not too complex"

Disadvantages

• "Can't get high quality moving shots at night "

Brilliant

I bought mine second hand for around £180 (along with a lens and a few other extras) and as far as I'm aware, that was money very well spent. The camera is quick to turn on, so if you spot as scene which just needs a photo taking - it won't let you down in it's turning on time. As well as this, it has a range of preset settings for all occasions - night, landscape, portrait, moving... Meaning you don't have to fiddle around with the ISO and aperture every time you move position. This said, should you perchance decide that you want to do this yourself, then there are several manual settings. Some of this let you change 1 component (for example the shutter speed) and will change the rest accordingly in order for optimum photo taking. If you're really feeling keen, you can turn it to fully manual and have fun doing all of this yourself. In terms of ability, this is a perfect first DSLR camera - it's not overly complex, but allows you to play with it and learn how to use manual settings. Plus, it has a zoom lens which always looks cool to have when out and about. To conclude, I love this camera and in the past year it's been brilliant, both for doing art/photography qualifications as well as taking photography for fun. If you're looking to buy a first DSLR- this is the one for you! (And since they're not the newest you can get them for fairly low prices on eBay...)

05.09.2015 10:22

Advantages

• "Lasts 4 days"
      • "Easy to use"
      • Quick

Disadvantages

• "A bit messy"
      • "More expensive than shaving"

Magic hair removal solution

I've only ever shaved for hair removal, as waxing sounded too scary and the idea of having gorilla like legs didn't entirely entice me. Now I hate shaving, it's time consuming, only lasts a couple of days, and I always, always cut myself. I've always wished for something which would just make the hairs vanish, until I discovered that there was in fact such a phenomenon - called hair removal cream (the clue was in the name). I read up reviews on this and my initial positivity died down a little after reading stories of second degree chemical burns, uneven clumps of hair left, no change... Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try (and it was conveniently half price at Tesco that week). So the next day when I went for my shower, I decided that then was the moment to test it out. I spread a thick layer over my legs, and went on Facebook for 5 minutes whilst it got to work. Eagerly I tested a small patch and was amazed at the result - the hair is quite literally wiped away! Spurred on by the success, I continued to removed the rest of the cream from my legs, and rinsed off any left in the shower. My legs were smooth, almost completely hairless (only some where I hadn't put the cream) and didn't have and large cuts where I messed up with the razor. Hazar! From this episode, I've come to the conclusion that I will never, ever be touching my razor again, and my legs shall remain hair free, uncut and beautiful (although still a little too pasty and large).

05.09.2015 10:19

Advantages

• Fast
      • Lightweight
      • Small

Disadvantages

Overall this iPad is brilliant all round

The iPad mini is a good size tablet, the screen size is a happy medium. The system operates quickly and mine has never froze or shut itself down. It's lightweight which means it's easy to travel with such as students taking it to school or college rather than a bulky laptop. It's think and stylish design also helps with the travel aspect as it makes it easier to just pop in a bag and take on the go. The back camera is good quart for a tablet camera and the front camera is a decent quality but is not quite as good as the back camera, which is expected. It responds quickly to touch and there is no lagging or waiting around for a response, which makes typing easy and quick. I highly recommend this iPad to people of all ages as it is easy to use and is within most people's price range.

05.09.2015 01:28

Advantages

• Delicious
      • "5 flavours"
      • "Assorted chocolate orange segments"

Disadvantages

Individually wrapped segments of Terry's Orange with five flavours to choose from

I have always loved Terry's chocolate orange so when the segsations first came out I couldn't wait to try them. These delicious individually wrapped chocolate orange segments come in five different flavours and each one is lovely.

Milk chocolate...Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange with the essence of real orange oil
      Exploding Candy .....Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange with exploding candy pieces
      Toffee Crunch ....Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange with crunchy toffee, caramel pieces
      Milk Crunchy....Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange with crispy puffed rice
      Milk with Dark....Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange with a layer of Dark Chocolate

They come in a 300 gram box and at Sainsburys they are priced at four pounds. However this week I was having a casual look around Poundland and pounced on a clear bag filled with segsations and of course I could not resist them. A 250 gram bag for one pound was a brilliant bargain. It did not matter one jot that there was no fancy box, just a bag filled with lovely Terry's Orange chocolates.

I usually buy these chocolates at Christmas so it was a nice treat this week to be able to purchase some lovely chocolates at such a great price. I never mind paying the price of these but usually for a special occasion is when I would normally purchase a box.

I know that segsations have been around for a few years and I really like all the flavours which add a different twist to the chocolate orange which has been around for many years. Also the fact that these chocolates are individually wrapped keeps them fresh and handier than the chocolate orange which has to be bashed hard on a table to break up the segments.

I recommend them to anyone who hasn't already tried these chocolates.

• Discovery Channel / TV Channel / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      04.09.2015 23:32

Advantages

• "Good reality TV series"

Disadvantages

• "Freddie Flintoff"

Special Forces : Ultimate Hell Week on Discovery!

In general today’s reality TV Documentaries are rather contrived and sad affairs. Gone are the days when they were genuine social experiments to see how ‘normal’ people react in abnormal situations in front of the cameras. But when the early winners of Big Brother and Castaway got presenting jobs on TV because of their willingness to go through these ordeals then the normal people got wise and it simply became a tedious job interview. Posh Ben Fogle from Castaway actually tried to buy that island for one million pounds as he had done so well since. Numerous and vulgar Big Brother contestants have gone on to make a career in television and radio.

Because of that I generally ignore these shows and when I saw Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff was presenting ‘Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week’ I thought more of the same, a load of macho posers who want to be on TV. I’m not a huge fan of Andrew Flintoff and find him boorish and loud and a poor TV presenter so expected the worse. But this was no cake walk for the contestants and the first time for a long time we had a genuine extreme physical experience for the contestants where someone could actually die and feel pain. Flintoff was again poor though and didn’t do any of the training stuff, which I thought he would. At least there was none of that sentimental back-story interview stuff as the contestants were too busy vomiting.

The premise is that each week a selected genuine Special Forces team from various countries put the volunteers through their paces to see just how tough they are. Week one was the grueling physical tests potential Navy Seals recruits go through to make basic training and next week it’s Israeli Special Forces. Both are good at killing Muslims but we won’t be going there. There are four more shows to go, including one with the British SAS, if anyone is left.

29 volunteers that had passed some sort of initial physical testing headed to the Welsh coast in early spring to have a two day boot camp version of that Navy Seals training week. The contestants were not competing against each other and very much a team effort to see if they could survive the training and freezing Irish Sea. Normally the production camp cherry pick ‘characters’ to make these shows more entertaining but this was full on physical stuff and no room for camp gay men or moody contestants that want their mom, a common theme of reality TV.

Two super tough and chiseled American ex Seals shouted and bawled at the contestants in camp and we soon had our first drop outs. After some serious camp ‘beasting’ in the middle of the night in chilly temperatures the first to go was a rather manicured chap that felt the show was beneath him and he had a pre existing injury that meant he couldn’t get really cold anymore. He made some sort of statement about Americans killing Muslims and the audience as miffed as the production company how this guy had got on the show. That was not the point of the show and people here to see how tough thye were and a political. Tim from Bushey had blown his reality TV stardom chance. I’m sure he will be back on a more suitable show to try again. Not surprisingly a woman soon followed. She didn’t like the cold weather and started crying and so just 25 left just 12 hours into the grueling tests. The reality of military training for any force is to break the person down so they are physically able to survive out there on the battlefield but more importantly pull the trigger to kill their targets, who ever they may be. Andrew Flintoff didn’t really want to go there and said very little that wasn’t on his cue cards. In the Great War 90% of casualties of conflict were soldiers. Today 90% of deaths are civilians. A modern army is effectively deployed to slaughter the population.

23 finished the two day course with the only ethnic minority contestant booted out by the instructors for not being tough enough but two of the five women surviving. This was not a show determined to represent the country by demographic. You couldn’t wing this one. One lady was Dr Clare Miller, a tough little cookie and the star of the show. She appeared unbreakable and put some of the men to shame and soon leading the team. She had received Navy Seals training before the actual challenge began as they felt she was the best of the 29 and they were right. This was full on training and you could see the people were suffering, lots of damaged limbs and pulled muscles.

The Israeli

04.09.2015 22:17

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • "Quiet ish"
      • "Includes cartridges"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Image printing quality not the best"

Good Everyday Use Printer

We bought this all in one printer a few years ago to replace our not so all singing and all dancing previous printer. Compared to that, this one is an absolute dream, but that is not saying much to be honest.Even taking out the comparison, I have to say that this printer is a pretty good one and we have been generally pleased with it.

The good thing about it and the thing that initially drew us to it was the price. It cost us £45 and came with a set of ink cartridges (one black and one colour). We thought this was pretty good value and still is, in fact they currently have it on sale in Argos for less than forty pounds, which is really good. The cartridges themselves cost about thirty pounds for both the black and colour, so it was a good deal we thought.

The printer is quick as well - it prints in black at just under ten sheets per minute and in colour at around six sheets per minute. We also like the fact that it is fairly quiet when it is printing. Our old machine used to take an age to load the paper which this one doesn't thankfully.

The scanner part of the machine is very easy to use and the on screen instructions you get help you work through it simply and quickly. We don't use this function all that much, but it is handy to have and good to know that it is easy to use.

The image quality of printing is not the best, but for everyday use is fine. In fact overall, I would say that you can really go wrong with this printer for an everyday use machine. Recommended.

• Acer Aspire 5742Z / Laptop / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      04.09.2015 22:07

Advantages

• "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

Nice and Simple Acer

I had this computer before my current one and I quite liked it really. I am a fan of the Acer Aspire brand because I know where everything is on them and I like the feel of them.

one of the things I liked most about this laptop was the keyboard which I found really easy to use and quite comfortable too. Being able to type comfortably for me is very important since I write a lot of reviews and this one didn't let me down in this respect.

It has lots of fancy functions and things, most of which are lost on me, but what I can tell you is that all of those fancy features make it a nice computer to use and they also make it nice and quick for doing every day things like browsing the internet and writing reviews etc.

It has a decent memory and although I don't ask it to do a lot, I was also being constantly told off by my husband for not looking after it in terms of cleaning the drives and memory (or whatever it is he is saying to me). Despite my apparent disregard for my laptop's health and well being, it lasted a good five years for me before it bit the dust, which I was impressed with and my husband was astounded by.

If you are looking for a nice simple laptop that does all the necessary things (and many more probably), for a decent price and is easy to use and quick, then i would definitely recommend this one to you.

04.09.2015 22:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Very effective!

I have had heartburn on and off for many years, and regularly dealt with it by using on branded antacid tablets, and it wasn't too much of a nuisance, but once I became pregnant, all that changed!

Throughout my pregnancy I suffered from terrible heartburn, I would dread bending over to tie my shoelace, and at night, I barely slept, terrible heartburn to the point of regurgitating. Eventually after going through boxes of rennies, I decided to give the doctor a call.

Gaviscon is probably the most expensive heartburn treatment on the market without prescription, and it wasn't something I could afford. So when the doctor told me I could have it prescribed while pregnant (and prescriptions while pregnant are free) I was very happy.

With a choice of peppermint or aniseed I took my prescription to the chemist and picked up my bottle, 500ml bottle. IT came with a small spoon, but the doctor suggested I just swig from the bottle as and when needed as it was bothering me so much, so I did!

And I slept like a baby.

Never as something worked so fast, and so effectively, I ordered another prescription so I could keep a bottle at work too, as the heartburn plagued me day and night.

Without getting the gaviscon I don't know if I'd have gotten any sleep through my pregnancy, it's pretty clear why it is so expensive, like most things, you really do get what you pay for!. Would recommend this for anyone with heartburn problems.

• Philips DTR230 / Set Top Box / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      04.09.2015 21:56

Advantages

• "looks ok"

Disadvantages

• "deosn't record"
      • "rubbish remote"
      • slow

Too simple

We used to have a set top box that we loved and then it broke. We went through a million and one different ones in trying to replace it and had not much success. This was one of the ones that we tried and dismissed. It is cheap and cheerful and if simple is ok for you then this will be fine but it wasn't for us.

We picked it because it was cheap (at the time costing around thirty pounds). It is not so widely available now, but I have seen it online for about ten pounds, which is a brilliant price if you can find it, whatever its shortcomings.

It has all the standard and basic features - lots of Freeview channels (depending on your signal strength) and a seven day programme guide (also dependent on your signal strength) so it should be good, but it is just too basic for us.

The remote control is the most flimsy thing I have ever seen and is a pain to use for anyone who is remotely technophobic because the buttons are small and all the same as each other. The programme guide takes an age to load properly which is and age too long in this technologically advanced era we are in. You can't record anything on it, which was a must for us because we are never in when things that we want to watch are on.

On the plus side, it looks inoffensive - black and sleek and small. There isn't a lot to dislike about it in terms of looks.

The specifications if you are interested . . .

* 2 SCART SOCKETS
      * UP T0 50 TV CHANNELS
      * 7 DAY ELECTRONIC PROGRAM GUIDE
      * DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
      * 2 LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES REQUIRED
      * FREEVIEW RECEIVER WITH REDUCED ENERGY CONSUMPTION

Overall, I can't recommend this one because it is just too cheap and simple for our needs, but I'm sure there is someone out there that would like the fact that it is so basic - especially for that price.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown