25.04.2015 22:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great for sensitive skin x

The is a traditional and well known product that is standing the test of time and although its not one I would reach out for immediately it's not one I would turn my nose up at.

Okay, first off, bad and silly negative point out the way first. The scent. It's not my cup of tea, a little on the old fashioned side but this is a small issue because I still use this as the results are pretty good on the skin and long lasting.

This is intensely rich. When you release this shower cream you honestly only need a small amount because as always less is more:)
      This foams up very well and if you allow it time to work into your skin and soak in it is incredibly nourishing afterwards.

This is a great cleanser for your skin and if you suffer from sensitive skin this is detergent free and restores the PH balance in your skin. For anyone with dry skin this will really help relieve that aspect and the feeling lasts all day.
      This was soft and indulgent and despite the scent actually quite calming.

The basis of this is obviously the selling point of the company SHEA BUTTER the higher the content the better for your skin this has only 5% but its still very good for your skin. It's definitely worth checking out the benefits of this incredible ingredient.

This is a little on the expensive side but you really are getting your money's worth in terms of skincare and the fact that you don't need lots s it will last a while.
      Obviously shopping around online you may find different and possibly better prices.

• Converse Seasonal Canvas Ox / Shoes / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.04.2015 22:24

Advantages

• Stylish
      • " "
      • Comfortable

Disadvantages

• "Shows dirt easily "

Perfect, stylish, comfortable shoes

Love these shoes they are confortable and stylish. The look great with a dress or pair or jeans. Wore them for a few hours when I fisrt purchased them and they were fabulous. The did not rub at all. I do find that all converse shoes come up slighty bigger so would defiantly recommend getting a size small. I am usually a size 6 uk size but had to get them in a uk size 5. The White soles and toe cap part show up the tiniest bit of dirt which annoys me as I do like my new shoes to stay as clean looking for as long as possible. Maybe this is just me being fussy! I don't know. I do like how you can wear these shores with pretty much any outfit and you can still feel and look stylish. There are the perfect shoes for comfort and style. Great shoes for the autum and summer seasons. I will defiantly be purchasing myself a few of these pairs of shoes in quite a few different colours to go with different out fits. Although the price of these shoes could seem quite high the over all quality and comfort of these shoes are worth every penny. Before I brought my first pair of these shoes I was debating with myself about the price and what the quality would be like but I am glad I took the plunge and with defiantly be getting myself a few pairs of these shoes.

• Dolly - Susan Hill / Fiction Book / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.04.2015 22:22

Advantages

• suspense

Disadvantages

• "too short!"

Dolly gives you the creeps

I picked this short story book up from work recently where we have a charity table for books. I used to read a lot but since kids, the reading time is significantly less so shorter books are more achieveable sadly.

Brief intro - without giving anything away
      The story follows young Edward, an orphan who goes to stay with his aunt one summer. He is lonely and bored but fortunately he is joined by his vibrant cousin Leonora who entertains him and gives him some company; albeit on her own terms. During their summer holidays the pair have a few odd arguments but the main one is over a doll Leonora is given for her ninth birthday. She hurls the doll in to the fireplace, cracking its china scull and Edward feels responsible for the damage and her overreaction but he can't explain why. Roll forward twenty five years and the two cousins meet again to hear the will being read by his aunt's solicitor.

Time line
      The book is written looking back at the main protagonist's childhood and then forward to the present day, where he tries to explain the strange things that have happened.

My thoughts
      This book felt too short, it was easily read over a few bath times. There are things in there that are spooky and strange but it also feels that it is written for a young audience although I don't think it is teen fiction.

Final word
      I enjoyed reading this but would not read it again and have no one in mind to pass it on to so will probably return it to the charity book case!

25.04.2015 22:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

Calms your skin and thus your life!

Professional skincare in your own home at your own pace and one that works without lost of do's and don't.

For great results you don't even have to go through pain or torture or expensive treatments and I love that about this range which I found to be quite similar to Elemis in its plant based outlook.

If you want the best results at home I think its sometimes worth paying that bit extra but this is not even as expensive as Elizabeth Arden or Estee Lauder. As much as I love those ranges and have been a loyal fan I saw better and quicker results with DARPHIN and with less chemicals you can't go wrong.

When I wake up in the morning even though I have used products before bed to work through the night and drunk enough water to hydrate my skin throughout the night I still find my skin can be blotchy in the morning and especially in the Summer. I think a majority of this is caused by acne I used to have and slight blemishes I have occasionally.

This is not a foundation but a cream tinted for coverage but relies a lot on the HAWTHORN EXTRACT The combination of ingredients in this works quick to reduce redness and just basically calm your skin.
      This also contains:
      JOJOBA OILS
      OLIVE WAX
      CHAMOMILE
      CALENDULA
      HOUSE CHESTNUT
      VITAMIN E

This is a list for skin to die for if ever you saw one.
      There are more ingredients to view on the DARPHIN website which goes into more detail if needed regarding what calms your skin and why.
      Everything is great to bring your skin under submission and worked for me within the hour. I was able to have breakfast whilst this was working so that when the time came to apply makeup my skin looked calmer, more refreshed and ready for foundation.
      I don't use this everyday and I wouldn't say this was something you use to prevent redness long term but this range does help long term along side various other DARPHIN products.
      I found personally that one major aspect I was not expecting was that it repairs broken skin well and deep down as well, fine lines etc. My skin also felt a heck of a lot more softer but this worked so quick at that aspect I didn't really feel I had to put foundation on afterwards.

This I found to be only a little more like wax then I was hoping for only because my main concern was that it would clog up the skin and cause more blemishes but I found the opposite happened. It actually worked to remove the blemishes altogether.
      My skin is unfortunately sensitive but this did nothing to irritate it in the slightest and I would recommend it on that strength alone, its a nightmare trying to find products where one thing works but sets off something else!:)

On average this retails at £38 but you only need a small amount to work into your skin so it does last longer than you think.

25.04.2015 22:01

Advantages

• "smells great"

Disadvantages

• "didn't work so well for me"

Fruity, fun but ineffective

I was really pleased to receive this as an extra item in a beauty swap I did with an online friend. I think she knew I liked face masks so popped it in as a bonus item.

What is it?
      A single serving sachet of exfoliating fruity face mask sold by Superdrug.

Price
      At 99p these are low priced and a three for two deal at the moment makes it even better value for money.

What's in it?
      Cranberry and Blueberry extracts are within this mask which deeply cleanses and purifies pores, while the Strawberry seeds gently exfoliate the skin, leaving your complexion gleaming.It is suitable for vegetarians, Paraben Free andBUAV Approved.

In use
      I found there was plenty of this purple coloured mixture n the pack, enough to do my face and neck. You are instructed on the pack to massage the mixture in to your skin and you can feel the fine exfoliating grain as you do this. You are advised to leave it on for fifteen minutes and you can feel it gradually hardening on your face. I could see the dry patches forming on the thinner areas on my face.

My thoughts
      The main bonus for this as the red berries smell of the face pack. Unfortunately it did not really seem to make my skin feel any different but it was a pleasant face mask to use.

Final word
      I loved using this face mask but was a bit disappointed by the results or lack thereof. I would not buy this one exactly again but would buy other different ones from the range without hesitation.

• Nivea Hand Cream / Hand & Nail Care / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.04.2015 21:21

Advantages

• "Lovely smell "
      • "Rich and creamy"

Disadvantages

• "None for me "

Old is often the best

I use all types of hand creams as I really do suffer from dry hands, especially knuckles and I need to use fairly intensive cream on my hands. One of the better ones is Nivea and I have been using this one for years. I buy this is a 50ml tube for about £2.99 (and it doesn’t come in a tin anymore, as on the photo) but it always does the trick when my hands are in need of a really bit if intensive moisture.

The cream is rich and thick in consistency and white in colour. The tube is small enough to keep in my handbag and I usually end up taking it to work with me most days after washing my hands if I have been to the loo. It is rich but it is absorbed into the skin very readily and it doesn’t leave your hands feeling tacky afterwards, which is great because I have to use a keyboard at work and that would be just no good at all for me.

It works quickly and soon heals hands that hare raw and chapped. The cream itself has a gorgeous rich and light floral scent which lingers on the skin for ages after having used it. It is a very old type of hand cream and I think that even my own mother used to use this one. I would not be without it.

It works well for me and is reasonably priced and I really do recommend it.

25.04.2015 21:11

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Dries out the skin - a LOT "

Drying and harsh on skin

I use a lot of different types of hand wash in my house as I much prefer it to using bars of soap as I find it far more hygienic. One of the ones in the Cussons range I bought a little while ago (which I won’t be buying again) is the Citrus Burst hand gel. This comes in the standard plastic pump dispenser bottle and cost me only just over £1 from Tesco when I bought it at the time.

The packaging is fine and it’s not so awful that I felt I had to transfer it into one of my own dispenser bottles and I was happy to leave this on the side of my bathroom sink. The gel is light green in colour and has a very strong citrus smell to it, which is what I was expecting, though I didn’t think it was going to be quite as strong smelling as it actually is. It lathers okay but not brilliantly, if I am completely honest and I found that I had to use slightly more of this liquid gel that I usually do.

It rinses off fine and leaves no sticky residue on my hands but I don’t like the fact that this gel soap is so very drying on my hands. My little girl was unable to use it as it really did affect the eczema she has on her hands and fingers and it seemed to irritate it quite a bit. My knuckles suffered a lot when I used this and I was forced to have to always use an intensive hand cream after I had used it. It is for these reasons that I chose not to buy another bottle.

Overall, nice smell and cleans well but just far too harsh on our skin.

25.04.2015 21:08

Advantages

• "usually plenty of seats to choose from!"

Disadvantages

• "not enough atmosphere"
      • stewards

A nice venue to look at but the arena has no atmosphere.

MAYBE the arena has improved since my visit. I had heard horror stories of heavy handed stewards and the arena not tolerating too much in the way of frivolity and general public jollity .
      There wasn't a great atmosphere, not just because we were seated to far away from the band in question, but the stage is just too far away from 'audience' participation, and it seems like they're performing to people who are almost indifferent to their performance anyway.
      No chance, had our friend Kurt Cobain still been around, of his surfing any echo arena crowd, the stewards would probably have either beaten him or else some of the front seat fans, specially if they had the gall to stand!

I have always enjoyed bands' performances close up and in pubs, so maybe I'm a little biased, but the arena for me lacks something and isn't worth the ticket price you pay.
      The building itself looks good, the location is of course virtually next to the river and tones in well with the rest of the mersey scene.

After the concert had finished one lady was a little 'lost' outside and complained to us that she was not allowed back into the building after being separated from her husband! maybe she had had one too many in the way of 'lemonades' but I do think this was a little unfair on her.

All in all, I didn't really enjoy my visit to the echo arena and much prefer the smaller venues.
      The tickets are overpriced, as is the alcoholic content inside.

25.04.2015 21:03

Advantages

• "Freshens breath "
      • "It works eventaully"

Disadvantages

• "There are none "

Fresh and minty

I have recently been using AquaFresh Ultimate Whitening Toothpaste as I like to use toothpaste with whiteners as I find that as I get older, my teeth are losing their whiteness and I cannot afford to have them professionally whitened. Home Bargains are currently selling this toothpaste at the bargain price of only 99p per tube – I bought two tubes as I have used this before when I paid full price and I was quite impressed with it.

This toothpaste my not be suitable for the whole family and I say this because it is quite strong when you use it and my little girl does not like to use it as she says “it stings my mouth”. For this reason, I think it may be more of a grown up toothpaste.

It has red white and blue stripes and you only need to use a small amount. It does not froth up too much in the mouth and I hate it when toothpastes does this. I would say that you have to use this for about four weeks before you start to see a very gradual change in the whiteness of your teeth. Please do not think that you will see massive difference as you will not, but it does definitely make a subtle difference and for that reason I have to say that it works well.

It works probably better than the Peal Drops paste I was using to whiten my teeth previously, and that was far more expensive. It leaves the breath feeling very fresh and minty and I thin it also works wonders for stale smelly breath as will as lightening teeth gradually over a period of time.

For only 99p it is certainly worth a go and I really do recommend it.

25.04.2015 20:45

Advantages

• "Helps to heal and protect lips "
      • "Great packaging"

Disadvantages

• "None "

Funky and Fun

Regular readers of my reviews will be aware of how much I suffer from very dry and chapped lips. Whether it is winter or summer time, it makes no difference, my lips seem to lack any moisture and lip balm is a year round necessity for me.

I have recently discovered some really great retro looking lip balms from the Body Shop called Born Lips. These come in either pots or sticks and cost £3, which is really good as I love the funky packaging and they make a nice change from the usual Nivea or Boots own lip balms that I usually buy.

I have tried both the strawberry and the plum shades in this lip balms but to be honest with you there is little difference in the colours and both of them give such a tiny subtle hint of colour it is hardly worth debating over which shade to use.

The thing I love about them is that not only do these balms hope to protect lips from the elements and give a sort of a shield to my lips if the weather is harsh, but they also really help to heal my lips if they are already chapped and sore and broken.

They do not feel too glossy or overly thick and they don’t need to be applied to often wither. I use them on their own most of the time though they can also be used on top of a lipstick, if you prefer to use them that way.

The packaging and the contents are both great. I love them and really recommend them.

25.04.2015 19:15

Advantages

Disadvantages

Rich and full tasting

This is a really good sauce to make a TIKKA MASALA with a bite. We have sampled quite a few to find one that we can make at home alongside another well-known brand with great flavors and rich sauce.
      PATAK's are different to their competitors for the reason that they pickle the ingredients they use which sets them apart and gives a different taste to their products which you can't get with others and I can honestly say you notice the difference.
      The branding also is very striking and authentic, this jar is a lot taller and slimmer so stands out on the shelf, its a little intriguing so you have to pick it up to see why its so different.

You could not get an easier or quicker dish then to add this to chicken add the sauce and away you go. With gorgeous extra added chilli and tomato sauce this is creamy and well flavored.

We prefer their sauces to their chutneys as they taste fuller and richer and we wouldn't hesitate to use these where with the chutneys we'd rather another brand yet deciding on which tikka masala to use there is always a slight argument so we've taken to alternating, it keeps the peace, trust me!

The freshness, due to the jar, keeps very well and once you've opened this its best to store in the fridge and consume within three weeks.
      We normally get these in our local store for £1.79.
      I would highly recommend this brand x

25.04.2015 18:59

Advantages

• "Has pleasant fragrance"
      • "Is effective against perspiration"

Disadvantages

A Good Roll On Deodorant For The Ladies...

On a recent shopping trip to buy some body care products for myself I saw this roll on deodorant reduced to only 75p. It's manufactured by Vaseline and is called 'Aloe Fresh'.

The product comes in a pointed roll on bottle which stands on it's roller ball end. It has a couple of information labels on it. The label on the front says that the deodorant is infused with something called 'ProDerma' technology which cares for your skin. The brand also state that the formula is alcohol free which means it won't dry out the skin. The label on the back gives a list of full ingredients and directions for use. The directions state not to apply to irritated skin. I use this after shaving skin, however, and it does not cause any sensitivity issues.

The deodorant has a strong, fresh fragrance which reminds me of a flowery perfume. It's actually quite sharp and very feminine.

The consistency of the liquid deodorant is perfect as it can be applied to the skin so that it dries quite quickly. Although it looks white on the skin it dries to a transparent cover and doesn't leave any white marks on clothing throughout the day.

The deodorant is effective in stopping my from sweating heavily although if I exercise I do experience some wetness through the deodorant 'layer' although I would expect this with any other deodorant. If I do begin to perspire the pleasant fragrance of the deodorant protects me against unpleasant odours.

I would definitely buy this deodorant again and would recommend it but to women only due to the feminine fragrance.

25.04.2015 18:39

Advantages

Disadvantages

Hot flavors for your curry

We always go for the Sharwoods brand but once in a while it not available and we tend to try something else. It's difficult to get any brand to match Sharwoods but this brand comes pretty close in flavor that we need.

The branding is more intense and the sizes available seem smaller unlike Sharwoods and the attempt to get the mango chutney out the jar this is more rounder and you can easily use a tablespoon in this!

The range is I would say less creamy in taste and with more punch.
      This is ideal to add to curries that people your cooking for enjoy hotter flavors.

The condiment is thicker and more jelly like but really goes well when added to the other essential flavors to make a curry. The color of the curry is also deeper than we normally have and again not as creamy in texture like Sharwoods.

This is HOT but a durable heat of flavor not one you need to pour milk down your throat or anything , its really lovely and we were completely won over by the balance it gave our dish.
      The only thing we couldn't do is use this for poppadoms or naan breads, okay we were complete wusses but those who did try had coughing fits!

This is reasonably price at £1.69 for a small jar its not bad and keeps fresh and air-tight. Store in fridge the moment you open it and consume within three weeks any longer and the flavor goes as well.

• Acer Aspire Switch 10 / Laptop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.04.2015 18:09

Advantages

• lightweight

Disadvantages

• "small keyboard"

Extremely handy, functional and reliable

The 10-inch 2-in-1 laptop with a detachable keyboard is sooo much flater than last year's model.The glass back is a big step up from the hollow and cheap-feeling plastic frame on outgoing Switch 10 we reviewed in late 2014. Thankfully, the added premium touch does not add much weight. Using the laptop is a breeze, the windows 8 software goes very well on it

25.04.2015 18:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Gorgeous combinations of flavors

As regular subscribers to the BBC FOOD MAGAZINES GOOD FOOD AND OLIVE we have for a number of years been going to the GOOD FOOD SHOWS in London which we would highly recommend for foodies.
      When we decided to do the 5.2 plan we thought we would have to give up a lot of the brands we love and taste, if anything we've enjoyed a lot more flavors and tastes and now really need to get to the show as a lot of the suggestions and recommendations include this wonderful condiments from a FANTASTIC brand that if you've not tried yet, I would highly recommend x

This is a honey mustard that works extremely well on ham and especially gammon at Christmas, this is our sheer indulgence at that time of year.

I though that honey and mustard together would be extremely sweet but this is really well balanced.
      The ingredients within are a combination of:
      ALLSPICE
      CHILLIES
      PEPPERCORN
      SUNFLOWER OIL
      HONEY
      RAW CANE SUGAR

This is preserved in a gorgeous and traditional jar that reflects the company very well and if you head to their website TRACKLEMENTS.CO.UK they have a vast array of products and information to help you with tastes and dietary information. They also offer great newsletters with competitions.

Although this is, I think, not an everyday or regular mustard it keeps very well and is great to have ready in the store cupboard as it were.
      This retails at £2.25 and can be purchased from Waitrose or even Amazon.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown