• Legend - Marie Lu / Fiction Book / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2014 10:45

Advantages

• "great read"

Disadvantages

• none

Full of secrets, action and suspense

I had heard many good things about Marie Lu and was really looking forward to reading her debut novel Legend which, I’m pleased to say was totally amazing. Despite not being quite what I thought it would be – it really was a fantastic read with plenty of action, drama and intrigue and just a dash of romance thrown in.

The story is about two teenagers who live in a dystopian world where the military and republic rule America under a tyrannical thumb. Born on two opposite sides of the track, fifteen year old June is an exceptional prodigy of a military family and an up and coming star among the republic. However living in perfect contrast to June’s world is Day, a notorious criminal who does his best to help the poor while scraping by on life himself.

But when June’s brother is found murdered and Day labelled the number one suspect – the two of them suddenly find their lives entangled together in a web of deceit, death and intrigue. But what they both don’t know is that they have a common enemy… and only by working together do they stand a chance of surviving against the deadly plots laid down for them by the republic…

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Told from the dual perspectives of both June and Day the reader is given a very clear view of what it is like to live in a world ravaged by the republic – both from a military and criminal viewpoint. It was also great to read how despite their completely different upbringings, both Day and June where driven and manipulated through their feelings and empathy towards people in need.

As a main character June was intelligent, strong willed and (despite being inside her head) often hard to read. However while this could be a little frustrating it prolonged the suspense of what would happen next and of how June would react to the next situation thrown at her.

Day on the other hand was very straightforward. Motivated into action by the love and protection he felt towards his family, he has a kind heart and unlike June – he was right all along in thinking the republic was evil and tyrannical. He’s also a pretty bad ass character and capable of causing some serious damage. The relationship that develops between him and June is sweet but they have yet to reach the stage where they work well as a couple. I’m hoping the romance will develop more in the next book and that these characters will get a chance to develop their feelings more.

Otherwise the plot was fantastic and moved at a nice pace. The setting was interesting and described in such a way that it felt very real and the writing itself was brilliant. Full of secrets, action and suspense Legend was a really good read and I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel. 4 Stars!

• Benefit Benetint / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 06:01

Advantages

• "smells great"
      • "long lasting"

Disadvantages

• cleanliness
      • "difficult to use"
      • color
      • price

This is an okay product, not worth the cost.

After trying The Porefessional product from benefit I just had to try out another product and I am not as happy with the Benetint. Although the product isn't horrible, I do not feel it is worth the amount of money. There are similar products for a lot less that are comparable.

The problem I faced with this product is the packaging. It comes in a little bottle with a brush that comes out of the top kind of like a nail polish bottle. You are supposed to brush it onto the area of skin that you want the product to go and then blend it with a brush, sponge, or your fingers. I am not a fan of the brush applicator because after using it so often the brush collects bacteria and can actually cause break outs wherever it has touched skin. I also don't like how if blended with fingertips the product stains (Yes I know that's what it supposed to do, but it doesn't blend well with a brush or sponge) If you can manage to get the product applied to your hearts content, then yes. The product will stay in place all day long without smudging or fading. I have an olive skin tone and the color that is available in this product is not great for my skin color. I don't think it looks good with all skin types.

• Benefit POREfessionally Pretty Kit / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 05:55

Advantages

• "moisturizing "
      • "leaves skin smooth"
      • "doesn't leave face shiny "
      • "doesn't cause break outs "
      • "smells great"
      • "great for all skin types"
      • "holds makeup in place"
      • "minimizes pores"
      • "erases imperfections"

Disadvantages

• price

Holds makeup in place all day, hides imperfections, and improves skin health.

As a reference, my skin is very oily in some areas, but severely dry in other areas. Oftentimes when I apply any makeup or product to my skin I break out and get red itchy patches all over my face. I have seen to many rave reviews and friends happily using this product that I just had to try it. Yes, the cost is a little higher, but the payout is also worth so much more than you actually pay.

I felt a little let down when I realized how small the tube that holds the product is, but I was reassured when I realized how little product is actually needed to get the job done. Just a small dab of this product goes a long way. The consistency begins as a moisturizer type product, but once rubbed into skin it turns silky and very soft. The wonderful thing about this product is that it does not make my oily skin areas extra oily, but hides oils instead. It also moisturizes and flattens any dry irritable skin areas so my face does not look flaky. With this product as a base I have been able to use concealer and foundation when before this product, I have been unable to. On a side note, hot temperatures do not stop this product from doing it's duty flawlessly!

I have been using this product for about half a year and I will repurchase it for the rest of my life. It holds my makeup in place literally all day, hides all imperfections, and actually improves my skins health. It smells pleasant and doesn't leave skin feeling like it has been caked with makeup.

02.09.2014 05:00

Advantages

• "Not especially bulky"
      • "Qi compatible"

Disadvantages

• "The official wireless charger can be difficult to line up by feel"
      • "Stiff buttons at first"

Great balance between comfort and security.

The official Nexus 5 case from LG is a great all-around case with one issue that went away after some regular use. If you utilize wireless charging for your phone, you already know that many cases will be just too much. This case gives you about as much protection as you can while still keeping that function. It’s got a great soft feeling in your hand (sort of velvet-like), it widens significantly around the back, which helps to keep you from dropping it. The only real issue I had when I first put it on (besides getting used to suddenly having a larger phone) was the buttons. The case didn’t have very much give over the buttons at first, which led to a bit of annoyance every time I went to turn my screen on. Luckily, after a month I noticed the buttons started to give a bit more and balance was restored to the universe. I use both the official wireless charger and a cheap charger I found online. If you rely on the magnets of the official charger to line up your phone to charge overnight, you may have a bit of trouble. The magnets are of course weakened by being further apart, but by no means are they not functional. You may notice the phone can get held in a spot that won’t actually charge. Not exactly a problem with the case, just something to be aware of. Overall this is a great case that I don’t mind having on my phone.

• Nescafe Cappuccino / Coffee / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      02.09.2014 00:05

Advantages

Disadvantages

• Rubbish

We have all decided to stop buying Nescafé until they bring back the old recipe

I've stopped buying this product which is advertised as new Cappucino (or that's what Nescafé wish us to call it). My staff and I looked forward to our daily coffee break with our Nescafé cappuccinos but someone in Nescafé decided to change the recipe and now it's rubbish. Big mistake by the number of people I have talked to.

• The Paradise / TV Series / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:46

Advantages

• mystery
      • "denise and moray"
      • "lavish sets"

Disadvantages

• none

A somewhat overlooked gem!

The Paradise is a stunning BBC period drama based on the novel by Emile Zola. The first thing you notice in this series is the sumptious lavish feel to the sets and the period clothing. It is about a department store and the fortunes of its flamboyant owner John Moray. Our main character however is Denise, a young girl who is given the position of ladieswear assistant within the store. Denise dreams of one day running her own store and her ideas are quick to be shot down by the somewhat snooty head of ladieswear (brilliantly played by Sarah Lancashire) who firmly reminds her of her position in the store! John Moray however begins to notice Denise, and her ideas for the store much to the annoyance of other staff. As their friendship establishes it also attracts the displeasure of Moray's fiance!
      Throughout this though Moray remains troubled and viewers are left guessing why? There are lots of questions to be answered. Why does the seemingly sinister Jonas have such a position of power in the store? What does he write in his black book? And more importantly what really happened to Moray's wife?
      The relationship of Denise and Moray in this series is very much a will they or wont they get together and for this reason this somewhat overlooked gem of a series is well worth a buy if you enjoy romantic dramas. In saying that there are enough side stories in the series to make it appealing to a wider audience and I would recommend it heartily.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:31

Advantages

• "Great to get free Xbox games with Windows 8.1"
      • "Good Graphics"
      • Fast

Disadvantages

Great product backed up by a friendly, knowledgable and courteous team

Service was excellent: the helpline assisted me in placing an urgent order to hit a birthday deadline, then (after finding that the graphics card was regrettably out of stock) contacted me to discuss options for meeting the deadline. Both helpdesk and email contact was clear and polite.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.09.2014 23:06

Advantages

• "Excellent overall service"
      • "Flexible build options "
      • "Fast delivery"
      • "Quick build time "
      • "Updates with PC build"
      • "Rasy to use website"

Disadvantages

Would highly recommend PC specialist to anyone wanting a customised PC.

PC specialist build top quality PC's. They allowed you to select from many option when customising your own PC, many more than other PC building web sites. They keep you updated when they are building your PC. Once you have the PC you can't go wrong, they provide you with knowledgeable information about how to look after if and what to do. They have a great after service as well.

01.09.2014 23:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good design idea, well thought over, but bad execution = bad device

I am predominantly a Mac user but had decided to give the Microsoft Surface a go as the idea of having a desktop on the go was extremely appealing to me. Furthermore, I needed Windows for a few of my apps and applications for work.

The Microsoft Surface was designed based on, what I gather, a very good ideology. Unfortunately the execution was just terribly bad.

The tablet is so slow, it reminds me of my days as a kid when my desktop would overheat and just refuses to respond to anything I tell it to do. My device had its first 'hang' just minutes after boot up, when I tried to load the News app.

Being able to flip the keyboard over and stand the screen was a very nice and convenient idea, this feature was very well thought over. Sadly the performance of the keyboard itself was so disappointing I now stick with the touch keyboard mostly.

On to the touch keyboard, the touch keyboard has its own moodswings. Sometimes it is so slow your words appear 20s after you've keyed it in, sometimes it comes out fast but all messed up even though you've hit the right keys.

Worst of all? The only browser it allows you to use is Internet Explorer. I mean, who even uses IE these days? It's slow, jerky and so in your face. Youtube's stage buffering doesn't work awfully well on it. I reserved this tablet for video viewing for a bit, but now the tablet's just sitting in the drawer - yes that one that you never open and all your little things go into.

01.09.2014 22:16

Advantages

• "Includes matching bedding"
      • Quality

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't fold"

Much loved dolls crib, well worth the price.

When purchasing the matching Pintoy highchair for my daughters birthday, I came across this crib which looked perfect. I was looking for something that would withstand toddler play and could be used for generations. There were many plastic alternatives, but this looked quality. With an RRP OF £41.99, I was hoping it would live up to my expectations.

The crib comes flat packed with clear instructions. It took about 15/20 minutes to construct and the whole process was painless. The quality of the wood was excellent.

The crib comes with a matching pillow and duvet cover, perfect for a toddler to play babies with. It has a side rocking motion and it is quite large so you can fit more than one doll at a time (daughter puts 3/4 in usually).

The crib stands low to the ground, so a toddler has to sit down the play with it. No big issue for my daughter, but worth noting.

A year later and we're very impressed with the crib! Its withstood my daughter sitting in it and is played with daily. The matching pillow and duvet cover have washed well and the wood has remained unchipped/unmarked. I would recommend the crib to anyone.

As expected, the crib doesn't fold so its bulky in that sense. However, we use it to store other soft toys and dolls when not in use.

Overall, its lived up to expectations and is worth the RRP. Very good quality, durable and fun. I'm sure we'll get many more years use out of it.

01.09.2014 22:02

Advantages

• Pretty
      • Quality
      • Solid

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't fold"
      • "No removing tray"

A solid, quality toy highchair that will last for generations.

I came across the Pintoy dolls highchair when searching for birthday presents for my 3 year old daughter. The design appealed to me as it was wooden and looked durable. There were lots of plastic alternatives at less than half the price (RRP of £49.99) but I wanted something that would last and would perhaps be passed down the generations in years to come. This ticked all the boxes.

The highchair comes flat packed and took about 10/15 minutes to construct. The wood is very good quality which makes the assembly process very easy. The instructions were easy to follow too.

My daughter has had the highchair for almost a year now and its still standing! Very solid and has withstood a fair amount of toddler play. The seat has a large capacity so has fitted more than one doll at a time! The tray is quite narrow and can't be adjusted/removed which has fustrated my daughter a little. It also can't be folded so can't be stored away when not in use.

We also bought the crib to match which was of equal quality and goes perfectly with it.

• Dewalt DWS5026 / Power Saw / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      01.09.2014 21:53

Advantages

• "grip well"
      • "easy to use"
      • Strong

Disadvantages

• none

It's less costly than a wheel clamp, and a lot more useful

When it comes to do a bit of DIY sometimes you need three hands, or more. What I'm talking about is when you need to hold two pieces of wood together with one hand, whilst steadying a screw in position with the other, which leaves your third hand to control the drill in order to screw the wood together.
      Or, if you have to glue a piece of wood to a door frame, for example, but you have not got the time, or patience, to stand holding the piece there until the glue goes off, (This could take 10-24 hours, and standing holding a piece of wood for that long is not something to look forward to.
      This is where the good old fashioned clamp comes into it, and it's fortunate that the clamps have evolved from the heavy metal G clamp to a one handle quick clamp. And it is the quick clamp I am talking about here.....

These are a simple design, one section being static whilst the other section can be moved along in order to grip what ever is in between the two grips. Then, to finish the tightening, a simple squeeze of a trigger to bring the grips closer together, clamping tightly on both side. The 'static' piece is a simple 'L' shape, having a few holes in it and some little grooves along the ridge in the centre. The other piece, the moveable one, is a trigger on the lower half and a grip on the top, this grip having a plastic covering which spreads out the 'weight' so the work it grips is left undamaged.
      To use it you just place the two pieces over the work you want clamping, then pull the trigger enough times until the work is clamped properly. You can go about what you're doing. To release the clamp you simple press the little yellow button on the other side of the handle and the grip is loosened. And that's them in a nutshell.

These type of clamps are a god send when it comes to ease of use, being able to use them with one hand whilst you hold the work with the other. They save not only time but frustration too.

These clamps are on the market in many guides, with some begin cheap and nasty, which waste not just money but time too. This is why these are on the more expensive range of clamps, selling for about £20 each. Although you can buy sets which may save a few quid the more you buy.

01.09.2014 21:48

Advantages

• Washable
      • Comfy
      • Fun

Disadvantages

• "Velcro strap doesn't hold"

A fun solution to a rather conventional product.

My daughter pestered me for one of these when she saw the advert for Pillow Pets on TV. She was bought it as a birthday present and its proven to be a real hit with the whole family!

Priced at around £20 (but often on offer), the Pillow Pet unicorn is part of a range of foldable character pillows. When folded, they resemble the animal of choice standing. Held together by a a velcro strap, it becomes a conventional pillow once you undo the strap.

The pillow itself is surprisingly comfy, but can only be used one way (unicorns mane gets in the way otherwise!). Not a huge problem, but sometimes my daughter moaned that it was uncomfortable until she realised why. Its been through the wash lots of times and comes out perfect. The stuffing hasn't hunched up and become uneven like a lot of pillows go, and it generally washes very well.

I noticed that after a short while, the velcro strap stopped holding in place when folded meaning we're now unable to use it. Again, not a huge problem as the pillow is used most of the time!

Overall, we're happy with the pillow pet. Very comfy and fun for kids! We even lie on it on the sofa once our daughter is in bed!

• LG 22LE3300 / LCD TV / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      01.09.2014 20:55

Advantages

• "Fast response"
      • "Beautiful display"

Disadvantages

• "Thing itself is ugly"
      • "Remote control"

Nice TV. nOT THAT BAD.

While plasmas will be pulled from the market. When i decided to provide that DIRECTED matter some sort of bust : Over the very first twenty four hours I've been super-impressed because of the clarity of the photo, vibrancy regarding hues and even degree regarding black and white, that with several controls basically make up the Panasonic. I've owned Samsungs, LG's and Panasonic previously. Panasonic seemed to experience a 'premium' feel, although that TV is just of the same quality, and picture-wise, even better.

01.09.2014 20:49

Advantages

• "Makes my skin smooth and soft"
      • "Great quality product"
      • "Budget friendly"

Disadvantages

Purse friendly and a great quality product.

Product: Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser

Size: 125ml

Price: £4.50

From: Boots

I’ve used the Simple Hydrating Light Moisturiser on and off for several years now and I keep on going back to this product time and time again. This is fabulous if you are on a bit of a budget but at the same time still want a good quality product which works well.

I bought the moisturiser from Boots and I paid £4.50 for a 125ml bottle. Keep your eyes peeled for special offers as these are often on the 3 for 2 offers and are even sometimes on offer at half the price.

The moisturiser is packaged in a Cardboard box which inside as a simple white squeezy bottle with a green lid and simple green logo for the products logo and description.

The Simple Moisturiser as no artificial perfume or colour, no unnecessary ingredients and it is dermatologically tested and approved. This seemed the ideal product for my dry and sensitive skin as the last thing I wanted is a product which would upset my skin.

As the instructions suggest I smooth the moisturiser gently into my face and neck using upward and outward movements. The moisturiser is extremely light in consistency and glides onto my skin effortlessly. Afterwards my skin is feeling smooth and soft whilst looking radiant.

I cannot recommend this product enough, for the price it is fantastic and a product which I will continue to use again and again. The only downfall for me is that this moisturiser on my skin can only be used in the morning or day as for night time I like to use a rich cream to work it’s magic on my skin overnight.

The moisturiser is suitable for all skin types.

Dooyoo Star Rating: 4/5

Ingredients:
      Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis Seed Oil, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown