• Wallis / Clothing / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.03.2015 11:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

So much better than I thought it would be.

I entered a bunch of competitions at Christmas and then forgot I entered them, there's no use in torturing yourself :)
      We won £250 to spend at Walls, which was a wonderful surprise.

WALLIS I admit would not be my first choice. I love shopping at River Island and Topshop but I was completely surprised by how classy and up-to-date this company was.

I'll get the minor gripe out the way first. The only small negative thing I could say about this website, is the choice is limited. You could browse it within 20 minutes and cover all the sections.

On a brighter note!
      The pieces are classy, stunning and very good quality.

The website does have a fabulous feature of a style guide. It takes 5-10 minutes to go through visual images and select the answers for the style guide to help you and the shape of your figure, but I think its worth it.
      I have done loads of these online, like many other reading this may have, and honestly this was the nearest I've seen a style guide get to my taste. I agreed with almost everything!
      You then can sign up to the e-mail to receive news when ideal pieces come in and when you sign up to their website you entered a competition to win vouchers.

DELIVERY
      Better than NEXT! When you spend over £50 the delivery is free. We ordered Saturday morning and the clothes came on Tuesday morning.
      The added benefit is each item of clothing comes with a hanger and cellophane. It's the small touches, but it really does help.
      This really is a stress-free and easy way to shop.

Overall I would happily recommend the website services, the brand, the look, the help and guide online.
      The sales are also incredible and very good.

31.03.2015 11:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Unfortunately to many issues.

This was on promotion when I purchased this and was quite possibly the main reason I decided to try this.
      There are seven in the range to chose from. I chose the 'extra-firm hairspray' at the time due to having grown my shirt hair out and able to style, I still hadn't found something suitable for thicker hair.

On first application, it was the scent of the product that put me off. I know it's all about results but the scent of the product was quite overwhelming and you could smell it all day. It's quite a pungent, chemical scent and quite masculine as well.

The spray is wetter and stickier than others I have tried and if you don't prepare beforehand the style you want it is difficult to brush out and restyle without having to actually wash your hair again, which obviously is frustrating.

There is a shine on this which is good but to much and it will look oily.

This did 'hold' the style, but the reflection is that other people will notice you have a hairspray effect on your hair.
      It will give your hair a visible matte finish, not a flawless and effortless look.

Overall this is an okay product but if you really are particular about hairspray don't use this it will frustrate you.

A positive thing is the sizes available vary so you can buy a larger can for home and a smaller can which is quite easy to pop into your bag and travel with.

• Acer Aspire Switch 10 / Laptop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.03.2015 10:31

Advantages

• "easy handling"
      • "touch screen."
      • " detachable keyboard."

Disadvantages

• " we have only had for less than 2 weeks and screen turned blue once and locked up. This concerns me about things to come. The power off is in an awkward place. If you remove from key board you can accidently turn it off."
      • " I wish I could access Android apps. "

On the whole it is awsome

Full HD display1 that reveals bright colors and crisp, clear text, it delivers a lifelike visual experience. The Gorilla® Glass 3 display protects against scratches and improves durability. Moving smoothly between four modes, the Aspire Switch 10 boosts productivity no matter where your journey takes you.

31.03.2015 10:17

Advantages

Disadvantages

A good product from Pantene

Although I have rated this three hearts, this is a positive three.
      Pantene may not be my personal go to product but it is still very effective and I would recommend it.

I am rating this having used it personally myself someone who has thick hair and having used it for someone else due to an injury who couldn't wash their hair which is a lot more manageable. We both have coloured hair.

Pantene has a colour range that I think does keep up with the competition with good results.
      The product is a white Pantene branded tub that is aimed at restoring and rejuvenating your coloured hair whilst keeping that colour fresh. This takes only two minutes to work although I kept it on for longer.
      The brand recommends you do this two or three times a week especially to help the moisture of your hair, however, I felt three times was not needed, twice was effective but it does depend on how often you dye your hair and what treatments you use.
      This smells really nice, the cream and consistency is thick and works well into the hair almost like a conditioner and rinses well.

I felt my hair was nourished and moisturised really well, however due to my thick hair this made it feel slightly limp and didn't help the volume of my hair at all.
      However, when using it for a family member, their hair was lighter and bouncer due to it being short.

We didn't see a significant change in the colour, at least there was no damage:) Long term I didn't feel it help retain my colour for any longer than it already is on my hair, but my family member felt she at least got two more weeks out of her dye which s a good thing, less dying and chemicals.

31.03.2015 10:13

Advantages

Disadvantages

Looking For Enlightenment?

This is one of Kerouac's later novels published in 1966. Kerouac died in 1969 of an alcohol related illness and the novel is written in a period when he has found fame and success through his writing and turned more frequently to the bottle to get through life. However, the tone of the novel is somewhat different to his earlier works such as the classic 'On The Road'. In 'Satori In Paris' Kerouac is more contemplative, somewhat sadder and quite obviously older. He still reaches towards finding the answers out in the void but this time the spirituality he embraces is calmer and cooler. He is a man travelling on his own in this book, a stranger in a strange land where he hopes to find meaning and truth.

The book is quite short and can be read fairly quickly. The style of the novel is conversational and it's basically like reading someones intimate thoughts as they take a vacation. What Kerouac hopes to see, feel an achieve on this trip may be understood more if you are informed by his other novels.

Kerouac's interest and immersion in Buddhism combined with his Catholicism is the driving force behind his spiritual musings in this novel. Does he find enlightenment? I would say that he does not. However, sometimes the fact that you have to keep on asking questions is in itself a means of spiritual education! However, the fact that Kerouac now seems quite disjointed, alone and frequently drunk is sad and often his prose seems rambling and mad. His technique and creativeness always gained power from it's lack of structure combined with a unique energy and desire. However, the writing in this book is often deadened by the drink and lacking any kind of spark. It's not his best work but it still fits into his catalogue of novels which together chronicle the life of this interesting and inspirational man.

I would recommend reading this only if you are already familiar with some of Kerouac's better known novels.

31.03.2015 10:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Do You Envy Me?

I have seen a few youtubers raving about Gucci’s fragrance, Envy Me and I managed to eventually try it for myself in the airport last year.

I love a lot of Gucci’s fragrances and this one was another one I kept in mind that I wanted to add to my collection.
      My husband bought me this fragrance online earlier this year.

~ Price and availability ~
      Envy Me is available in 30ml, 50ml and 100ml bottles.
      The 30ml bottle is available from allbeauty.com for £19.95 (RRP £40.00).
      The 50ml bottle is available from allbeauty.com for £35.05 (RRP £49.00).
      The 100ml bottle is available from allbeauty.com for £42.95 (RRP £65.00).

~ Bottle ~
      It comes in a tall and narrow square bottle.
      It has a white plastic lid with ‘Gucci Envy Me’ written on the front and it has a pink pattern on each side of the bottle with two letter G’s – one upside down incorporated into the pattern.

~ Scent ~
      The fragrance is a nice, fruity-floral, but it stands out a bit more than your typical fruity-floral.
      The pomegranate note is the most prominent and it makes me think of Versace Bright Crystal, which also has pomegranate in it.
      There is also a slightly watery scent in this fragrance, but at the same time I think the fragrance has quite an expensive scent.

The top notes are pink peony, pink pepper, cassia, peach and mango.
      The heart notes are litchi, pomegranate and pineapple.
      The base notes are sandalwood, white tea, teakwood and white musk.

It opens with sweet, fruity notes, which are very vibrant. I really thought that mandarin would be listed in the notes as I can definitely smell a muted orange note and the pomegranate is at the core of this fragrance from the beginning. I think I can detect the pineapple in this fragrance as well although it is rather subtle.
      The floral notes are soft, feminine and pleasant. The florals combine with the watery scent and together they make a lovely scent.
      A watery note would not be something I would usually be keen on in a fragrance, but it really adds something to this fragrance. I love it.
      I can’t explain what gives this fragrance an expensive scent, but it does seem very well put together.

I liked this fragrance when I first tried it, but now I love it.
      It is an eau de toilette, but I have found that it has impressive staying power and lasts around 6 hours on my skin. I also notice it on myself when I am wearing it so I am pleased with the projection.
      I have only worn this fragrance during the day, but I think it is a great day to night fragrance and it would also suit night time wear.
      I think it would suit younger women and mature women. I think it might seem a bit mature on younger teens though.

31.03.2015 09:53

Advantages

• Light

A Delicate Perfume

I have the 50ml version of this interesting fragrance by Elizabeth Arden. I was given the perfume as a gift and when I got it I had never heard of it before and didn't know anything about it's reputation.

The bottle design is really lovely and looks very feminine. The glass is lightweight and there is a leaf etched into the side of the flat bottle. The text on the bottle is rather dainty and looks almost like handwriting. The lid of the bottle is a pale green. Overall it looks very pretty and it tells you a lot about the character of the fragrance.

I would describe the fragrance as being very light and airy. It's a perfume that dances rather than sits in a cloud. It's a perfume you could wear anytime but I think it's best suited to casual wear.

The fragrance smells like sugary lemonade, fresh green tea, florals and musk combined. It's blend is very soft and delicate though and the perfume does not have the capability to overpower the senses. It's not a sensual or sophisticated perfume. It's character is quiet and contemplative. I would say that the perfume is not really long lasting and it seems to fade away after a few hours wear. It's not a perfume I can constantly smell while I'm wearing it and frequent reapplications are necessary.

I would say the perfume is suitable for women of all ages but will probably be most adored by older women who want a perfume that is quite simple and not too heady. It may also appeal to ladies who are inspired by nature.

The perfume is available at department stores and chemist chains in the UK. It costs around £22 which I feel is reasonable. You can buy it in different sized bottles too. The brand also do similar Green Tea perfumes with added hints such as Green Tea With Lavender which I feel are worth trying too.

31.03.2015 07:43

Advantages

• "Great compatability"
      • "Lots of storage"
      • Fast

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Although expensive, an amazing tablet for many types of people.

The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 runs Windows 8.1, which has full backwards compatibility with older Windows programs, instead of being limited to applications in the Windows Store. As well as having a full operating system, the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 also has impressive specifications such as a new Intel fourth-generation Core i5 processor and four gigabytes of random access memory. The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 also has improved battery life, lasting approximately 7 hours. Sweetening the deal is the Microsoft Surface Pro 2's detachable keyboard cover, allowing you to use your Microsoft Surface Pro 2 as if it was a normal laptop. The 128 gigabyte solid state drive provides reliable and quiet storage, as well as faster file transfer and start up times. The large 10.6 inch screen is the perfect size to be reasonably portable but also allow you to comfortably watch movies, television, videos, browse the internet, play games, or do anything else you normally do on a laptop. The Intel HD 4400 graphics processor allows high definition video playback and can process the graphics for most apps and games. On the left side, the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has a USB 3.0 port, a 3.5mm audio port, and a volume rocker. On the right hand side there is a power connector, a MicroSD card slot, and a MiniDisplay port that allows up to two external monitors with resolutions up to 2,560 x 1,440 pixels. Although the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 has a hefty price tag, it is well worth the money with all of its capabilities, and its powerful specifications.

• Dell ALIENWARE 18 / Laptop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.03.2015 06:55

Advantages

• "Great GPU"
      • "USB 3.0"
      • "Good Speakers"
      • "Large Screen"
      • I7
      • "Solid State Drive"
      • "Large Hard Disk"
      • "High RAM"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly Small Trackpad"
      • Expensive

Great laptop but expensive

I picked up an Alienware 18 gaming laptop recently for about £3000. It has a Intel Core I7 Processor, 16 gigabytes of random access memory, nVidia GeForce GTX 780M graphics processing unit, a one terabyte hard drive as well as a 256 gigabyte solid state drive to boot the operating system and other applications faster, an 18 inch screen, HDMI port, and four USB 3.0 ports. The laptop boots up a windows operating system in a matter of seconds. The speakers have great bass for explosions or music. The hard drive has enough space to store tons of games, music, pictures, and whatever else you may keep on your laptop. the nVidia GeForce GTX 780M GPU can run most games at a fairly decent frame rate. The 16 gigabytes of ram is more than enough for gaming and multitasking. The Intel I7 processor allows the laptop to be more future proof so it will be able to keep up with next gen games for a few years. The laptop is large enough to have a keyboard with a full sized numeric keypad, as well as macro keys on the far left side of the keyboard. The trackpad is slightly small, but that can be solved by buying a separate mouse, which is in my opinion much better than a track pad for gaming. There are four USB 3.0 ports that allow for faster file transfer and the ability to use USB 3.0 peripherals. The main downside of this laptop is the high price tag, but if you can afford it this laptop is sure to run almost any game without any lag for a fair amount of time.

31.03.2015 05:11

Advantages

• "Low Profile"
      • "Good Value"
      • Fast

Disadvantages

Great video card for the price

I bought the Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 a few months back as a low end gaming graphics card, and it worked great. I was able to play Skyrim on medium settings and not lag, as well as play many other games like Dishonored, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod, Minecraft, etc. This card performed extremely well for the price, and was able to let me play games that were impossible to play before I bought the card. The card is also low profile, fits in almost any case, and very quiet. The card was compatible with HDMI, VGA, and DVI video outputs, so I could still connect my personal computer to my High-Definition Television via HDMI. The card also allows High-Definition video playback, as well as high resolution display options. It managed to stay surprisingly cool while using only a heatsink.

• Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.03.2015 04:28

Advantages

• "Good Camera"
      • "Loud Speakers"
      • "Big Screen"
      • "Easy to use"
      • "Fast Phone"

Disadvantages

• "May Be Too Big"
      • "Feels Fragile"
      • "S Voice"
      • "Battery Life"
      • "Call Quality"

Decent phone for the price, if you life big phones.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is a great phone for the now low price of approximately £175. The Galaxy S3 has a dual-core processor, allowing it to process all of your apps, games, and media flawlessly. It also has a very large and responsive touch screen. The operating system is Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The S3's 8 Megapixel camera allows you to capture all of your important moments with great picture quality. The S3 is 4g LTE compatible, allowing fast speeds while using mobile networks. The phone has 2GB of built in RAM to allow efficient multitasking, and has 16GB of built in storage space, which is plenty, but also has the option to insert a MicroSD card.

Not only have I owned the S3, but so have some of my family members and friends. One of the biggest complaints I have about the S3 is the seemingly low battery life. Sometimes my phone will die within 12 hours, without me even using it often. Although it seems the built in battery saving options help this problem, the battery life still is not very impressive. Samsung's version of Apple's Siri is S Voice, and it does not seem to be very useful and may be annoying at times. I am not sure if it is just me, or my phone's case, but I often get told that I am hard to hear over the phone. The phone is also very large, which may be a positive thing for some people, or a negative thing for others. My final complaint about the S3 is that it feels very fragile. It is extremely thin and feels like it would break the first time it is dropped. I have not actually tried this, I keep my phone in the case constantly so I would not know how strong the phone actually is.

• Microsoft Xbox 360 / Games Console / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.03.2015 04:06

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great Console for the Family

I have owned a Microsoft Xbox 360 for almost two years now, and I have to say it was well worth the money spent on it. Even though the Xbox One is out now, the Xbox 360 is still a great console for those who cannot afford the high price tag of the Xbox One. The Xbox 360 is extremely easy to setup and use, and can provide tons of fun for any members of the family. The Xbox 360 is capable of streaming video through apps such as Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and many others. In addition to being able to stream videos, you can also browse the internet, do video calls, voice chat with friends, and play games both online and offline.

Although the Xbox 360 is a great console, capable of many functions, it does have a few flaws. One of the flaws being how fragile it is while it is on. If it is turned on and there is a disk in the tray, moving it too much can cause the laser to burn a ring on the disk and destroy it. Of course the simple solution to this problem is do not move the console while it is turned on. Another flaw is that you have to pay to have good online capabilities with the console, such as play online games like the "Call of Duty" series and "Grand Theft Auto Online". The payment isn't very costly though, and is well worth it if you plan to play online games frequently. The final flaw of the Microsoft Xbox 360 console is that it can come with extremely low built in storage space. The cheapest model has only four gigabytes of built in storage, which is less than the amount of storage my phone has. With only four gigabytes you can not even download "Grand Theft Auto Online" and you can not back up your games onto the hard drive. You also will not be able to purchase many mainstream games through the Xbox Marketplace. Although you can simply buy an extra hard drive or use other forms of external storage to expand the storage on the console.

Overall, the Xbox 360 is a great console for the family to enjoy their favorite games, videos, and television shows. Although there are some flaws, they are all easily avoidable and are not too troublesome.

• AKG D112 / Microphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.03.2015 03:50

Advantages

• "Good Price"
      • "Great Sound Quality"

Disadvantages

Great mic for the price

I received the AKG D112 about a month ago to use on my band's new demos. I had the intention of using it as a kick drum mic (obviously) and on my Ashdown bass cab (Ampeg SVT 3 Pro head).

I have used both a Shure Beta 52 and an Audix D6 in the past for recording and the Beta I have used live as well, so I was interested to hear the difference with the AKG. Other reviews I had read, about which kick mic to use, suggested that the AKG would pick up more of the "click" of the kick compared to the Beta 52. This was interesting for me as my drummer does not have a hole in his kick drum and so getting a good "click" is quite hard.

For recording I placed it about half an inch from the skin of the kick off centre and covered it in some pillows to stop spill (the advantage of recording in a living room!). Needless to say it was not going to pick up all of the "click" of the drum so we also placed an SM58 pointing up towards the beater on the other side of the kick. I have found in the past that even with a hole in the kick you don't get all the smack you want, so usually place a mic to pick this up anyway. It also makes for nicer mixing possibilities. Both of these mics went through my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 preamps (look out for my review on that as well).

I can honestly say that the AKG did a brilliant job of picking up the thud and pump of the kick drum even being outside of the kick. Mixed with the 58 and shoved through some Liquid Mix Distressor emulations I have been able to achieve a very professional sounding kick within my mixes. Compared to the sound of a Shure Beta 52 I would say the AKG has a less sterile sound. On mixing with the Beta I have always found it hard to get an aggressive thud without it sounding tacky, but perhaps that is my own opinion.

• Ikea Antilop High Chair / Highchair / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.03.2015 00:30

Advantages

• Cheap
      • "Easy to clean"

Disadvantages

Brilliant, simple highchair, fantastic value for money.

We bought two of these highchairs from okra, one for home and one for Nannan's house. This is such a great highchair for the money. It's easy to assemble, so even though it doesn't fold up it's very easy to remove the legs for storage if you need to. One of the main benefits to this highchair is that it is so easy to clean. It's all plastic so can easily be wiped down and literally can be put it the shower if necessary, the safety harness can also be removed for cleaning. The tray clips on and off easily so can be pulled right up to the dining table. There is no padding on the seat but my daughter always looks comfortable in there and will happily sit in there. I've seen this highchair in so many cafés and play areas and it's unsurprising really, it really is brilliant value for money.

• Dying Light (PS4) / Playstation 4 Game / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      30.03.2015 22:36

Advantages

• "Good Physics"
      • "Very Fun"

Disadvantages

• "Lock Pick is from Skyrim"

Overall - I'd give it a 89% score which is high for me

Simply put, this game is fun. Nowadays, many big budget games seem to feel more like interactive movies. The Order: 1886 is one clear example. This is perfectly fine, in it's own right. However, it's sometimes nice just to be able to stick a game in your console which you can have hours of aimless fun with. Dying light is one such game that is enjoyable and fun to play with a decent story line to keep you interested in the missions.
      You probably won't become emotionally invested in the plot or many of the characters that you meet with. You probably won't even care very much about your own character in the game, but I have no doubt that upon your first headsmash, molotov inferno, explosive ninja star massacre, electrocution take down or poison gas combo kill, you will be glad you picked up this game. ( To get an idea of the story watch this video, and for some other dying light gameplay videos check out the channel (no spoilers) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ZXW_vKyK4&spfreload=10 )
      And to get an idea of the ridiculous fun you can have in the open world, and how dynamic it can be, check this one out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPp479axCw&spfreload=10
      Pros :
      Excellent graphics and a huge open world with countless zombies occupying it
      Large skill set to upgrade through and many weapons to upgrade/modify
      Lengthy game with a large number of side quests and challenges to complete
      Co-op available to play through quests with a friend online
      Parkour system works really well once you are used to the controls

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown