01.08.2015 19:10

Advantages

• "Good value"
      • "Easy to use"

Easy printing

Our old printer finally gave up and although we don't print too many things off found we do use it occasionally and find it very handy to just print something off straight away (rather than sending it to work to print off!) I bought this HP Deskjet 3055A from Ebay for £39.99 and I actually had a £10 gift voucher so it cost me under £30.

It is mainly black and there is a display which you lift up to choose which option you want. It is very easy to use as you just need to place your paper in a section at the back of the printer and you can put just one sheet or as many as you need. You then need to pull down a panel at the front where the finished printing comes out or it will not print.

There is a little display which you sort of fold up and this is where you choose what action you want as this printer will both print, scan and photocopy. If you are photocopying you need to just open the glass lid on the top of the printer and place whatever you are copying and then replace the lid, and the same goes for if you are scanning a document. I do find the photocopying option the most valuable as this is probably what I use it for the most but I do also use it for printing and scanning.

Although I don't use it very often I think a printer is still an essential item to have in the house and at under £40 this is a very good all round printer which is easy to use, is reliable and good value. Ours is plugged in but apparantly you can also use it wirelessly if this is what you prefer.

01.08.2015 18:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

Loved this show!

The X Files is a paranormal/sci fi mystery show that followed two FBI agents assigned to investigate the strange and unexplained cases, dubbed The X Files. The show stared David Duchovny as Agent Fox Mulder, an agent fascinated with the unusual and extraterrestrialnd Gillian Anderson as Agent Dana Scully, a doctor that looked to fact and science to counter Mulders out there theories!

If you like sci if type programs then this I'd likely go appeal. The majority of episodes focus on an individual case but there are some underlying stories mainly based around the disappearance of Mulder's sister and his belief in alien life.
      There are some genuinely scary episodes as we'll and I can certainly recall a few that keeped me awake with the lights on some nights after watching!

The show ran for 9 years and also produced two feature films. For me the show started to lose its way when David Duchovnt left and Gillian Anderson cut her appearances back. They continued the series replacing Mulder and Scully with new agents but without the chemistry that was present between Duchovny and Anderson the show just wasn't the same and I must say that I did stop watching.

The show is coming back now in 2015 they are filming again and I will be interested to see what they come up with all these years later and if it stands up to some of the classic episodes made in the shows original run,

But this box set would definitely be the place to start and I would recommend to anyone that likes anything a bit different and remember the truth is out there! :-)

• The Little Mermaid [1990] (DVD) / DVD / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.08.2015 18:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

Disney family classic

I have very happy childhood memories of receiving this film for Christmas as a child and watching it regularly wishing desperately that I could become a mermaid too!

The film tells the story of Ariel, a headstrong, free spirited teenage mermaid, daughter of King Triton. Ariel is fascinated by the human world above her and regularly goes to the surface to collect human items such as combs and glasses much to her fathers disapproval.

One day Ariel rescues handsome young Prince Eric from a shipwreck and instantly falls for him, desperate to become human so she can be with her Prince, Ariel makes a deal with evil sea witch Ariel but little does she know Ursella isn't all watch she seems to be and has her sights on King Titans crown!

With the help from her sidekicks Flounder the fish and Sebastian the crab she sets about trying to make Prince Eric fall in love with her. The catch is she gives her voice to the sea witch and when the only thing Eric remembers from the girl on the beach as her beautiful voice she has to try and make him fall in love with her and kiss her or she will belong to the sea witch!

Based on the Hans Christian Anderson story, this is a magical film, especially for little girls but that will appeAl to everyone and that all the family can enjoy. It features some catchy songs like Under The Sea and Kiss The Girl and is a great watch! great for a rainy Sunday afternoon!

01.08.2015 18:20

Advantages

• "Unique projects"

Disadvantages

• "not enough instructions"

Good buy

This is a beautiful book with tons of unique projects. You would probably need some sewing and crafting skills to be able to follow the very little instructions given but anyway it´s a must have for avid crafters/sewers. patterns and templates are included. It contains several projects from bags, dolls ( which are truly amazing ), decorations etc. The pictures inside are beautiful and the book is made in pretty paper. Books from this author are not particularly cheap but I think they are worth every cent spent. As soon as you get it, you will want to make everything!!

• LG BP630 / Blu-Ray Player / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.08.2015 17:12

Advantages

• "Works well when it's working properly"
      • "Good looking Blu Ray player"

Disadvantages

• "Lagging on 3D discs"
      • "Non responsive remote"
      • "Sticky screen at times"

A disappointment from LG

I've been left disappointed by this Blu Ray player from LG, purchased it to go with my new TV as I wanted to be able to watch 3D movies on it straight away. I spent £130 on the Blu Ray player with the current cost being £110 in most places.

The Blu Ray player is simple to use but the remote control doesn't work well and sees me pressing buttons for upwards of a minute sometimes before the player does as the remote is telling it to.

I have played Blu Ray discs, DVDs and 3D discs in the LG player with smooth and seamless playback. 3D effects are exceptionally good but lagging occurs occasionally at the beginning of 3D discs, this does not happen when playing back any other type of disc.

The picture quality of everything is excellent and I have noticed a small amount of upscaling when playing DVDs in the Blu Ray player, this is a nice advantage and one I wasn't expecting.

Menu screens and settings are easily navigable so changing or altering any setting is childs play as long as you can get the remote control to do as you ask. Text is of a good size on my TV screen so I'm not left squinting as I try to read from lists or options.

The Blu Ray player is good looking with a shiny black finish and smooth lines, it looks good next to my LG TV but the poor response time of the remote and also the way the screen sticks sometimes means it won't be there long as I'm considering replacing it very soon.

• Sam's Town - The Killers / Music Album / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      01.08.2015 16:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

An excellent album from The Killers

Sam's Town was the second album from the Killers (who, let's face it, turned up on the music scene pretty much fully developed with the previous album, Hot Fuss.)

This album is infused with the sounds of the American West - I honestly don't know what it is, but you can practically feel the desert burning through the notes. Part of this has to be down to the mixture of country and rock found in the beautifully unique voice of lead man Brandon Flowers, which is as much of an underpinning structure here as it is in any of their other albums.

Songs which stand out to me have to include 'When you were young,' and 'Uncle Johnny,' - along with the single 'Bones' (if you haven't seen the video for this then I suggest you find it on YouTube; it involves skeletons and was directed by the excellent Tim Burton. But honestly, pretty much any song on the album could be counted as a stand-out. All are infectious, memorable, and bursting with feeling. They are also immensely ripe for a sing-along (for which I sincerely doubt my neighbours are all that thrilled.)

As is usual with The Killers, if you are amongst that sub-section of society which actually listens to the lyrics, you will notice the detritus of religious and spiritual symbolism. This is primarily Brandon Flowers driven - but never pushy. There is no attempt to convert you to anything here, it's simply what the man put into the song because he felt the need to express it; much of Brandon Flowers' music (particularly his solo album, Flamingo, for example) is a process of him searching and exploring the ideas of religion and spirituality. What emerges from this is undeniably beautiful, regardless of your religion, and can hardly be called zealotry when it includes such lines as 'Now Adam's taking bombs and he's stuck on his mom, because that b***h keeps tryin'a' make him pray,' (from the track 'This River is Wild.')

01.08.2015 14:57

Advantages

• "Great for travellers"
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

Never fly without these

I've been using these eye make-up remover pads for quite some time, particularly when I'm travelling away from home.
      They remove all eye make-up, even tough to remove mascara, and leave your eyes fresh and clean. I find I generally don't need to use more than one or two of these pads to remove my eye make-up.
      To make the best use of them, I fold the pad in half and press it gently to my closed eye for a couple of seconds, and then wipe. The mascara comes straight off, and then the rest is easy. Just wipe around the whole eye, turning the pad around so that there is a clean section to wipe with. You can then follow up with facial wipes or cleansing products, and since you know that your eyes are already clean, you can avoid that area and any chance of inadvertently flooding your eye with facial cleanser.
      For me, though, the biggest advantage of these pads is when I'm travelling, particularly when I'm flying. They are brilliant if you’re travelling light, especially if you're flying with only hand baggage, because they don’t qualify as liquid, cream, or gel, and so will not cause any problems through security. Just one less item that you need to put in the clear bag. The pack is also so small and compact it can easily fit into most make-up bags. Another bonus is that a full pack weighs very little and so won’t put a strain on your weight allowance.
      These pads are non-greasy, so they're great if you have a make-up disaster and need to start again. You just wipe away the disaster and are left with a clean surface, so that you can reapply your make-up straight away.
      I always have some of these in my make-up bag.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      01.08.2015 14:32

Advantages

Disadvantages

A+++ would use again

Amazing, well built, fast, use use again!

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      01.08.2015 14:23

Advantages

• "Super Fast"

Disadvantages

A+++ would use again

Very quick, very convenient service. Had no problems at all, would use again in a heart beat and recommend to anyone.

01.08.2015 13:28

Advantages

• amazing

Disadvantages

• "ps plus"

amazing

i love it i play everyday and it truly is next gen
      it will let you socialize with anyone on ps . this is truly amazing and it is smooth and the price is quite reasonable and this should defo be in everyhouseholfd , the only disadvantage is you have to pay for online subscription .you must have a wireless internet connection to set it up

01.08.2015 13:24

Advantages

• "nice interface"
      • easy

Disadvantages

• slow!!!!!

good overall

this is an amazing product that is a good DVD player
      i have been using this for two years and it has proved to be a good product
      it is quite slow and takes a while to start and it is has good protection and is quite hard to break and install.
      furthermore his product has a very good player and it plays almost all disks and will resume playback even if has been switched of

• Heindl Fruit Pastry Apricot / Sweets / 3 Readings / 1 Rating
      01.08.2015 12:34

Advantages

• "0.2kg pr piece "
      • sweet
      • soft
      • "chocolaty "

Disadvantages

yummmm!! come on foodie peeps

From my point of view, i would suggest the cake, muffin, chocolate lovers to go for this product as it gives a relief a satisfaction to a customer who is really fond of these type o things. i remember the day i ordered this a single packet and all of my friends came and literally scratched it from my hand they liked it so much that i had to order 5 packets more. everyone knows chocolate are actually an addiction to most of the people and in this packet it provides not only the chocolaty taste but even the softness of the cake which gives a very fresh feeling of satisfaction.i love eating these type of things as i am a very foodie person. this is very healthy as it provides fruits apricot yumm delicious i must say. in a single packet they provide 8 muffins and the best part of this is that it is really heavy and tummy filling. ahh i loved it. i am writing this reviews and i feeling like i really want to have this right now. so people i am ordering this product what you guys waiting for? order it and enjoy its taste ...

• Toshiba Laptop Sleeve / Laptop Case / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
      01.08.2015 11:30

Advantages

• "Pretty colour"
      • "Protects my laptop"

Disadvantages

Protect your laptop on the move

I was lucky enough to be given a small Toshiba laptop by my brother who had been bought a new one for his birthday. He knew that I wanted a small laptop to take to work and this one was perfect as it is big enough for me to see but small enough to fit into my workbag. As it had only been used in the house there wasn't a case with it, but I obviously needed one as I would be taking it out and about.

I bought this Toshiba laptop sleeve from Ebay and won it for £2.05 with free delivery. I have had a look online and the prices range from £2.40 to £5.59 so I was happy with this price. It is a lovely pretty pink colour so would probably appeal more to women. It is made of neoprene and it has black zip which starts at the middle of the longer side and goes round to the opposite side of the sleeve. The zip is sturdy and although the item has been used it is still very strong. There is the Toshiba logo on the front but apart from that it is plain.

The laptop sits quite snugly inside the sleeve which is made for a 13 inch laptop and inside the sleeve there are pockets on both sides which you could use to keep a small notebook or maybe some discs or memory sticks but they aren't really big enough to keep anything else such as a power lead so you would have to provide other storage for this. But as I always make sure that I charge it up fully before leaving the house I have not needed to take the power lead out with me.

I think this is a very handy item, it keeps my laptop clean and prevents it from being scratched by keys or other items in my bag. It looks good and for the price I paid I am more than happy with it.

01.08.2015 09:36

Advantages

• "Controls and volumises hair"

Luxurious volume thickening hairspray

I bought a small can of this John Frieda Luxurious Volume Thickening hairspray after trying my friends and realising that it was just what I needed as my hair isn't as thick as it used to be and doesn't seem to hold in place as much. I will always choose a firm hold hairspray as I find that anything less just won’t hold my hair as it is quite thick and strong and although I hadn’t had this particular one before I have used various other John Frieda products and always found them to be very good.

To use I will style my hair and then spray the can about eight to ten inches away and then spray it in short bursts until I am happy that the areas I need to fix are covered. As I wear glasses if I leave them on when I apply the spray I will shield the lenses with my hands as with all sprays it can leave a residue on your glasses when it dries. It has quite a subtle smell which I like as I find that some of the cheaper hairsprays really have a strong smell which seems to last for ages.

I find that this spray dries quickly after you have sprayed it but you do get a few seconds to maybe scrunch your hair which is what I use it for, or to quickly restyle a section with your fingers. A good thing about this spray is that it doesn’t feel sticky or tacky when it dries and it looks completely natural which I like. I find that it also brushes out easily at the end of the day and I can do this for a few days before it needs washing unlike some other sprays which you just can’t get your brush through. John Frieda claim that this hairspray lasts up to 72 hours but I have always washed or restyled it in this time so I can't confirm that it actually does. This spray also just seems to just evaporate when I do brush it out and I don’t get any flakes or bits flying around.

I really like this ultimate fixation hairspray and would definitely buy it again. It definitely gives my hair a lot more volume and makes it appear thicker even if I only use a small amount, so I do recommed it if you need a bit of oomph for your hair.

01.08.2015 02:33

Advantages

• "Offers germ protection and cushioning"
      • "Comfortable against a stabbed cut"
      • "Soaks up blood quite well"

Disadvantages

• "None at all"

Protection from dirt and bumps

I don't know why the gauze I used on my cut hand last night is Fortuna, I'd never heard of the brand before and am sure I didn't buy it - we have an eclectic and quite badly stocked First Aid bag at the moment so with blood running off the ends of my fingers I grabbed the first thing I could to wrap around it and try to stop myself bleeding out from possibly the world's smallest looking cut (it's actually very deep, hence the blood).

This is a 1 metre roll of basic light weave gauze, it's not designed to stop a cut from bleeding but protects something nastier than your average scratch from added damage or causing even more pain - the way I used it was to snip a thickish piece off the roll and wad it against the cut before wrapping a bandage around it all. The cut was made with the pointy end of a steak knife slipping and literally stabbing myself with some force, it looks like a small cut but is in a really awkward position and had edges that needed to join again. I wrapped the bandage quite tightly around my hand, ensuring the gauze was pressing against the cut for the support and added comfort of the bandage being so well padded.

When I took the bandage off this morning to replace it with a less bulky plaster I was pleased to find no lint or fluff sticking to my cut, it had soaked up a fair amount of blood but hadn't turned sticky or slimy - it didn't stick to the cut despite there being some dried blood around the area and I'd have been happy to have reapplied the gauze if I'd needed to.

I have no idea how much this cost (or indeed where it came from) but Google is throwing up a £1.99 price tag for the 1 metre roll - super value in my opinion as it works well and to be honest if you needed to use 1 metre in one go I'd imagine a couple of quid would be the least of your worries!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown