• Avon Glazewear Clear Lipgloss / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.01.2015 16:59

Advantages

• "Protects lips"
      • "Looks very shiny"

Disadvantages

• "Tastes of perfume"

A Clear, Shiny Gloss!

I quite often wear lip gloss as I like how easy it is to apply and the way it looks. This clear Glazewear lip gloss from Avon is one product I use regularly. It's a very versatile product as you can apply it on it's own for shine and moisture or over a lip colour to create a glamorous look and dimension.

The product comes in a 6ml sized tube which is lightweight and perfect for carrying in a handbag. You can see through the plastic tube so you always know how much gloss you have remaining, which is handy. The tube has a screw off top which doubles as an application wand. The end of the wand has a soft, feathery absorbent sponge which sucks up the gloss.

The sponge feels very soft and delicate when you draw it over the lips. The gloss is transferred onto the lips easily and spreads a thick layer over the surface. Since this gloss is clear you don't need to be too precise about application. The gloss gives the effect of the lips appearing wet. The gloss is strongly light reflective and this means it is quite eye catching.

The gloss feels like a gel but it's not at all sticky. The texture is very nice and it doesn't feel heavy on the lips. My only issue with this gloss is that sometimes I can detect a flavour of perfume when I have it on. It's inevitable when you wear a gloss that some of it wears off into your mouth and this one tastes slightly soapy. However, the frequency of this happening is not high.

I would definitely buy this product again and would recommend it to ladies who love gloss products.

The gloss looks great on it's own and I often apply it instead of a balm. It looks way more sophisticated but it has the same effect of soothing the lips and giving them a protective layer which stops dryness and chapping. The gloss also enhances lipstick if you apply over the top. It makes lip colour jump out and appear more juicy and more sensual. The gloss has the added benefit of having SPF protection so it's perfect for summer wear.

• Warren Evans / Highstreet Shopping / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      30.01.2015 14:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Would recommend without hesitation

Mick & Khalid delivered my bed today and were very professional & helpful, both polite & courteous assembling the bed in next to no time. Many thanks, a credit and example to delivery people anywhere!!!

• Accurist LB1741WR Ladies Watch / Watch / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      30.01.2015 14:55

Advantages

• "Looks good on a skinny little wrist"
      • "Easy to change the time"
      • "Classic design"
      • "Light on my wrist"

Disadvantages

• " It could do with a few more removable links."

An elegant watch that escaped the thieves.

Just before Christmas we were burgled. The rotters came in whilst I was working away from home and actually took the safe out of the wall! I didn't have a lot of things in the safe but bits and pieces of sentimental value. I was then very happy to find that I still had this watch which was given to me as a leaving present a good few years ago. I had put at the back of a drawer meaning to put it back in the safe and forgot! Ha ha thieves.

I'm going to review it before they come back.

This is a lovely, simple, classic looking watch from Accurist which I wear when going out. The face is round with awhite background about 2.25cm across and is about 0.25cm thick which sits well on my skinny wrist. With it's gold hands and black roman numeral numbers it is easy to read and has an elegant look to it. The bezel is also in gold and simple pulls out a little so that you can easily adjust the time. I have had complicated digital watches before that have taken ages to change the hour in spring and autumn and have even had to take instructions on the plane with me. This suits me just fine.

As I live in Spain I like the bracelet to be comfortable when it gets very hot. This bracelet does not irritate my wrist and seems to remain cool where other resin bands get all hot and sweaty. I occasionally give it a clean with an old toothbrush and a little soapy water to get sun tan cream out of the links.

As I have a skinny wrist I had all of the links taken out that were possible and although it is still a little loose I can wear it comfortably. The clasp is small, about 2cm in length and has never opened by itself unlike other watches I have had.

The two tone band is elegant. It is what is known as PVD which mean Physical Vapour Deposition, or gold plated to you and me. This is actually better for a watch strap as pure gold is too malleable and would bend with use.

I have had the battery changed a couple of times but it is an excellent time keeper and I'm really glad I didn't put it away safely.

My watch was bought in Gibraltar and as it was a present I do not know the exact price but Accurist watches are very reasonably priced and I think you could get a similar one for under 100 pounds.

I'm going to give it 5 out of 5.

• Spider Plant / Plant / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      30.01.2015 14:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Easy to care for plant - if I can do it, you can!

It seems to be a running theme in my family that we are awful when it comes to taking care of plants. My heart is always in it and I try really hard to take care of them because I love plants and flowers but I never seem to have the green finger and my plants tend to sadly droop after a few sorry weeks. The spider plant however, I have to applaud, because it has made it in my house! I bought it from a gardening centre for about £5 as I wanted a simple green plant just to brighten up my kitchen a little. It looked like a simple plant so I hoped that that would equate to simple to care for!
      As I bought it in winter I water it rather sparingly and it has done really well - it has even grown a bit rather than the usual regression I see! It is definitely a simple plant but it adds a nice fresh natural feel to the room.
      I would definitely recommend this product, particularly to children or people who, like me, seem to have the touch of death when it comes to plants! It is really easy to care for and maintain and it looks lovely. As with most plants it isn't the most cost effective to buy the product from a garden centre but at £5 I thought it was worth the price and save me attempting to nurture it from the beginning. Lovely plant for beginners.

30.01.2015 13:04

Advantages

• "none for me!"

Disadvantages

• "left my hair dry and tangles"

L'OREAL FULL RESTORE 5 REPAIRING SHAMPOO

I am a fan of L’Oreal hair care products having tried many in the range! Boots recently had a half price offer on L’Oreal shampoo and conditioner and so I took the opportunity to stock up! One of the shampoos I bought was the full restore 5 repairing shampoo and its promises sounded good and relevant to my locks!

Full restore 5 comes in a predominately white bottle with red accents on the flip top lid. The shampoo is designed for use on weak, limp, damaged hair. My hair is quite dry and prone to be frizzy. I often find that a hair care product that performs well as far as my hair is concerned can suddenly stop giving good results. With this in mind I like to have a range of different products so I can ring the changes. I do have a few products that I have been using for ages though! However, back to this shampoo.

L’Oreal states that this shampoo contains Pro-Keratin to help reinforce hair by resisting daily wear and tear. It also contains ceramide to re surface hair leaving it feeling soft, smooth and with a healthy shine. All sounds good to me! I have now used this shampoo and its matching conditioner on several occasions so feel able to offer my opinion as to have good it really is.

The *5* in the name is for the 5 things this shampoo promises to deliver.

Strengthens hair- My hair is prone to break at the ends so this is relevant to me. However after washing I really can’t say I have noticed any difference.

Gives density- My hair is quite fine and after using this shampoo it was still fine! So no increase in its volume. This comes as no surprise as I am yet to find a shampoo that can increase density!

Gives vitality- I believe that your hair gets vitality more from lifestyle and health than any hair care product used. No my hair didn’t look like it had had a shot of vitality after use!

Gives shine – similar to the above really although shine is something that is easier to define. After use my hair did have a shine near the crown but no more than after using other shampoos in the L’Oreal range. The ends felt really dry and brittle and certainly didn’t have a shine!

Leaves hair looking silky- Not only did my hair feel and look dry but it was horribly tangled and difficult to comb through even using my favourite John Frieda Frizz ease products.

On the positive side this shampoo did lather well and I really like the scent. It appeared easy to rinse out but as I have outlined the overall results were awful! In short this is one of the worst shampoos I have used and will never buy it again!

30.01.2015 13:00

Advantages

• "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "Can be a bit pricey so shop around"

If in doubt - give it a go, I don't think you'll regret it.

I first found out about Liz Earle when visiting the Isle of Wight and saw her shop. Whilst in the shop I spoke to another avid customer who said to look out for Liz Earle's Today's Special Value on the QVC shopping channel as they are such good value. The Cleanse and Polish is a wonderful skin cleanser containing loads of natural plant extracts. You get a tube of creamy textured cleanser which comes with two muslin cloths. The regime is easy, just wet your face, then put cream on the back of your hand , no more than 10p in size, then massage the cream all over your face, this just melts in. The next step is to rinse the muslin cloth in hot water and use this to take off the cleanser, this is the polishing process, and wow, you now have beautifully clean, soft sweet smelling skin. All the old dull skin cells are gone leaving a glowing deep cleansed face. I have dry sensitive skin and this has never irritated it and I can't praise it enough.

30.01.2015 12:52

Advantages

• "Tastes like the sweets"

Disadvantages

• "A bit sickly"

Not nearly as nice as I wanted it to be

When I saw this in Asda I simply knew I had to try some - Fruit Salad and black jacks were two of my favourite sweets growing up when I was a kid. As soon as I got home, I coul wait to open the bottle and I mu say I was disappointed by the smell I was greeted with as soon as the lid came off.

Unfortunately, things went all downhill from there.

The drink isn't bad, it's just a little too overly sweet for my liking - the flavour is spot on unlike with a certain brand of crisps who regularly offer funky new flavours only to fail to deliver on taste when you go to try them. Drinking this is a little like having put a bag of fruit salad sweets in the blender and then pouring it into a glass, and unfortunately the childish appeal quickly wears off.

I am not sure who this drink is supposed to appeal to - do today's kids even know what fruit salads are anymore? Certainly they are still about but they are nowhere near as prevalent as they were when I was a lad!

If it is meant for adults wanting a bit of retrospective nostalgia, then you would probably be better off just buying a packet of sweets!

I really wanted to enjoy this, but for me it just fell short. The drink is reasonably cheap for squash but then it also tastes cheap too. After only a couple of glasses, the novelty soon wears off!

There is an old saying - you get what you pay for - and that is certainly true here.

If you like your squash to taste artificial and overly sickly sweet, then you will probably love this. If you prefer better quality squash though, you should probably think again!

• JVC PICSIO GC-FM2 / Digital Camcorder / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      30.01.2015 12:07

Advantages

• "Good quality film footage"
      • Compact
      • "Fun to use"

Disadvantages

• "USB charging"
      • "Stills facility is limited"

Fun and neat, but......

I bought one of these after having a couple of "standard sized" digital camcorders which always seemed too bulky and inconvenient to carry around. The unit is light and easy to handle being around the same size as, though thicker than, a non-smart candy-bar mobile phone.

The screen covers about 85% of the unit's surface area but only a small part of it, not that much larger than a 35mm film frame, is dedicated to viewing, the majority being given over to the touchscreen controls - which are at least easy to operate and far enough apart to save pressing the wrong button by mistake.

There is a zoom facility as well as the ability, for some reason, to film in black-and-white and sepia. (Maybe my lack of creativity just doesn't appreciate that?).

The main benefit is that the little JVC is quite good fun to use and has meant we've ended up with footage on holiday and children's parties which we most probably wouldn't have taken if we didn't have it.

However a couple design shortcomings and the falling price of both digital cameras and improving mobile phone filming capabilities are going to render it superfluous and consigned to the abandoned gadgets drawer.

Firstly filming runs to 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on flash usage, while charging the internal battery can only be done via a USB link, which isn't practical when out and about. Secondly, whilst there is a stills facility, it is limited to 2.7 megapixels and only works in horizontal mode.

Better to spend the money on a better digital camera or mobile upgrade I'd say.

30.01.2015 12:04

Advantages

• "Smells nice"

Disadvantages

• "None really"

A nice Japanese fragrance!

The next fragrance to review from my boyfriend's extensive collection on top of the bathroom cabinet is L'eau d'issey pour homme by Issey Miyake. Not one which rolls off the tongue.

My boyfriend has the 75ml bottle. It is quite a plain looking bottle with frosted glass, and a dull silver lid. It is quite flat in shape (so it quite a tall bottle), and the lid is like a square. This was launched in 1994.

The 75ml bottle seems to cost around the £30 mark, but a 125ml bottle around £35 which is much better value. Obviously it pays to shop around too.

The bottle has a nozzle spray dispenser as fragrances generally do. The initial smell is very nice and it is definitely a very masculine scent. Amazon describes it as "A timeless fragrance with a very masculine signature where the vibrating freshness of yuzu meets sandalwood." Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit, and I can definitely detect these even with my useless nose where perfumes are concerned (I have no idea what these base and middle notes are). Since Issey Miyake is Japanese (he is a fashion designer apparently, although I have never heard of him I have to admit), this is not surprising. However the bottle does say on the bottom that the product is made in France - I think a lot of fragrances are.

I think this can be worn at day or night, but is perhaps more geared towards nights. The smell lasts really well which is important.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

30.01.2015 11:57

Advantages

• "Full of flavour"

Disadvantages

• "Full of sugar"

Very sugary but moreish

Without a doubt I have a sweet tooth and would eat sweets all day if I could get away with it and jelly tots are easily in my top 5 favourite sweets of all time.

Packaging
      The packaging on jelly tots, like most Rowntree's products, is very bright. I am currently chomping through one of the tubes rather than a packet so it's bright yellow with Rowntree's jelly tots written in large lettering. Very easy to spot on the shelf.

Nutritional information
      If you're eating jelly tots I don't think you're too worried about what's in them and I don't think most people want to know but basically:
      Sugar - lots
      Calories - not too bad for sweets
      Anything good for you - 0

Product
      The texture of jelly tots is unlike most sweets. It is pretty much exactly what you would think - jellyish - but does have a slight grainy texture from all the sugar coating each sweet.
      The taste is very juicy with around seven different flavours.
      My have one downside to the taste and texture and I am not sure if it is just something that happens to me. If I eat a fair few jelly tots one after the other my tongue starts to feel a bit weird, a sensation that is very hard to describe, but it is almost like an overload of sugar on my tongue and it starts to rebel. I will never learn though and everytime I have jelly tots I eat too many in one sitting and just put up with the weird tongue feeling.

30.01.2015 11:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

Sadly this won't last long....)

The smoothest and creamiest chocolate bar that blends into a heavenly combination.
      I previously worked in a place that stocked Lindt and we had a training day, yes Lindt were kind enough to teach us the error of our ways where chocolate was concerned and we spent a WHOLE DAY, talking and tasting everything chocolate, although it was a tough day... it did help us appreciate what we have and how to not scoff it down but enjoy it. JUST GIVE ME THE BAR- I SCREAMED!

So at the end of this day I found my perfect range, SWISS.

This is milk chocolate with gorgeous hazelnuts in.
      Again this is the best thing about LINDT, they are generous with thier hazelnuts.
      They put WHOLE caramelised hazelnuts in their chocolate bars, not an extract, or a shaving or a single nut but lots!
      However, the balance between the milk chocolate which is very different from their other milk chocolate products is the overriding taste here and I was pleased. Even though, I love, love, love hazelnut chocolate I wanted to keep the SWISS blend they have created as it is simply delicious.
      Although I absolutely love this blend it can only be devoured in small amount or it becomes way to sickly so it best consume in small amounts and without coffee, that didn't work either:) But one must try these things to find out.

This is surprisingly the same amount of calories if you were to buy the dark chocolate grande hazelnut bar -170. I always thought dark chocolate meant less.
      I purchased this for £1.59.

30.01.2015 11:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Slaughterhouse Five - A surprising and well written novel

Wow. Just wow.

This book hit me as lightning from blue sky.

This book took me on a journey through time and space.

This book tells the story about people and what people do to survive.

Slaughterhouse five tells the story of Billy Pilgrim. Billy Pilgrim has gone unstuck in time. He jumps sporadicly between different events of his life. This book is mainly about a shy man and his life. It's about the fire bombings in Dresden, about being captured by germans, about coming home to America, and living a normal life, with wife, kids and all.

The story has several twists, that makes this an interesting read. First - the book has timejumps in Billys life, as in that Billy himself jumps through time to different events of his life. This allows for creative way to tell a story. Second - as in other of Vonneguts books, there are aliens involved. Creatures from the planet Tralfalmadore. At one point in the story they kidnap Billy, and displays him at a zoo.

What makes this a good read is the spontaneity and playfulness of this book. You never know what's going to happen next, and behind every turn theres a new set of events.

The book also has amazing characters. We get to follow a man from his youth until he becomes old, and how his personality and perception of the world changes with every new event. We travel to WWII, and get a glimpse of all the different characters involved in the war - at both sides.

All in all - a well worth read, with exiting characters, a well written story and a surprise with every pageturn.

• Pyrex 1 Litre Classic Bowl / Cookware / 6 Readings / 5 Ratings
      30.01.2015 11:25

Advantages

• "Great Value"
      • "Durable & Robust"

BOWL-ed Over..!

I own various Pyrex items and use them all on a regular basis.

The Pyrex 'Classic' Bowl is sized at 1Litre and you can buy this individually from many stockists, including Amazon for around £5, although this price may not include postage costs.

The Pyrex Classic Bowl has been used countless times in my household over the years. It has been used for all sorts of things like heating up sauces and soups in the microwave, to baking and mixing cakes and everything in-between! I have found that it is a very versatile and functional item within my kitchen.

Furthermore, I find that even though the Pyrex Bowls that I own have been used for over ten years, they are showing very little signs of wear and tear. I think that this result is testament to the product's quality and durability; I own other glass cookware items that look relatively scratched when compared to the Pyrex items in my collection.

I find it surprising how little wear and tear there is on my Pyrex Bowls, especially considering that I am something of a regular baker, and all three of my Pyrex Bowls have been used quite heavily with whisks and beaters. The largest two bowls that I own have been used regularly with my electric mixer, and yet there is very little 'scratching' evident on the inside of the bowls' surface.

Additionally, my own bowls have been dropped on various occasions as a result of my clumsiness and these incidents have never inflicted any chips or cracks on the bowls' glass surface.

Also, I must mention that the glass is completely stain resistant, which is quite a valid point for me personally, as I cook a lot of tomato-based foods such as sauces and soups, and these can easily leave an unfortunate orange 'tinge' on other kitchenware items. I also cook a lot of rice dishes, some of which contain Turmeric and other spices, and the yellow colouring can leave some dishware appearing rather unsightly afterwards. Said staining is often permanent, such is the intensity of the spices' colouring.

Thankfully, my trusty Pyrex bowls never take on any of the foods' natural colouring, with the sturdy glass remaining completely clear and free from colour.

I don't recall ever using my Pyrex bowls in my freezer, but the glass is so durable that it is suitable for this practice. They are also suitable for use in the oven and as I have already mentioned, the microwave too.

The Pyrex Bowls are suitable for use in the dishwasher, but I have always washed my own Pyrex items by hand, finding that this keeps them in great condition.

Taking everything into account, I really do recommend the Pyrex Classic Bowl and only have good points to mention within this review.

As such, the product comes with my full recommendation, together with top marks in the product rating score.

30.01.2015 11:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice but rich

This I would call quite a heavy bar of chocolate in terms of taste. This is most certainly not a bar you could eat in one go! It is a luxury bar but as the range states it is this is 'GRANDE', thick and creamy.

This is a thick bar for only 100g at just 170 calories you would expect it to be much more.

This contains 37% hazelnuts, this is not one of those bars that have little bits of hazelnuts here and there or no taste whatsoever. These are whole caramelised hazelnuts with bite and plenty of flavour too which really adds to the value of this chocolate.
      The hazelnuts are blended with dark chocolate and this really helps with the flavour. Although I prefer the milk version this was just as lovely, I think it's just preference.
      Again this does tend to melt quickly, it shouldn't last long enough to melt quickly but it does.

I would say that out of the dark bars I prefer the 'EXCELLNACE' range as it is not to bitter but the 'GRANDE' range I found it really left a bitter taste and my mouth quite dry. I would normally make a coffee with a bar such as this but even the coffee made it to dry.

This 'Grande' range is a little bit more pricier at £2.79 but well worth it.
      There are two more flavours available, white hazelnuts and milk, to choose from. I sadly and unapologetically went for all three!

30.01.2015 11:07

Advantages

• "Extra buttons"
      • "Big ball "
      • "Scroll wheel"
      • "Easily configurable"
      • Ergonomic

Disadvantages

• "Dirt gets in under the ball"

Possibly one of the most versatile and user friendly trackballs out there.

The Kensington Expert Mouse Optical Trackball is a choice for the man/woman with ergonomics in mind. If you are tired of throwing a mouse around over you desktop, I would recommend a trackball. The trackball is also great for small places, as it doesn't have to move.
      The Expert Mouse has a big and sturdy construction, and fits your hand like a glove. It has a big ball, and compared to other trackballs this gives a much more pleasant experience. It has a fantastic scroll wheel, configured out of the box to scroll up and down. You can scroll sideways by holding shift, as with every other mouse/trackball.
      The Expert mouse has 4 configurable buttons, and is easily configured in the Trackball Works program from Kensington. (This is only needed to configure the remaining two buttons). Out of the box the trackball has left click on down left, and right click on down right buttons.
      With the TrackballWorks program you can sett any command or keystroke to your remaining buttons. You can also program keystrokes for pushing two buttons at once. This opens up for a new computing experience were you can do more without moving your hand from your mouse.
      I've had my Trackball for 4 years now, and it still works like a charm. The only sign of age is the wearing on the left click button. The buttons, the scroll wheel, the ball itself has never let me down in 4 years. The only problem i have, and it's a minor one, is that dirt usually gets under the ball, making it move slower. This is very easily cleaned up, so as I said, a very minor issue.
      The trackball has saved up my desktop-space and my arm movements - I'm never going back to a mouse again!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown