• Jane Austen Centre (Bath) / Museum National / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.07.2014 19:22

Advantages

• "Cafe "
      • "Informative Guide"
      • "Closest Model image of Jane"
      • "Insight into the life of Jane Austen"

Disadvantages

• "Quite a small Museum for the ticket price"
      • "House isn't one that she actually lived in"

The Museum is small but informative. It isn't set in a home she once occupied.

The Jane Austen Museum in Bath is in a house with a similar layout close by to where she lived in bath. The entry fee is £8 for an adult and seems a little expensive the Museum isn't very big or take too long to walk around. The tour guide had good knowledge about Jane's life, her family, reasons for moving to Bath, inspirations for writing.

I found her background interesting with her many Siblings. I was a little disappointed to see images of most of her brothers in the family tree but non of her mother, sister who she was particularly close to or of Jane. However, there is a life sized model of Jane in the museum which they claim to be the closest image of what Jane may have looked like. Bath features in some of her published work and the guide highlighted Jane's views and how they changed over time.

The first part of the tour is on an upper floor and starts with a detailed talk from the guide. Then guests are taken down on to a lower ground floor where there was information about the place, main events and experiences in Jane's life and the life sized model of Jane. There are areas in the Museum for people to give writing with a fountain pen and ink a go, try biscuits and dress up. The guide stayed available for a while and encouraged people to come forward with any questions. After this point there were several members of staff in different areas to talk to.

The Museum is a close walk from the shops and restaurants and is easy enough to find. Jane Austen lived in more than one place in Bath. It would have been better if the Museum was based in one of the homes she occupied. We were greeted by a member of staff at the door way who explained where to go to start the tour, where the cafe was and pointed out the store. It is an interesting visit for fans of Jane Austen who would like to have an insight into her life. Though I haven't read any of her stories, just seen films, I got caught up in the story of her short life.

• Skullcandy Hesh 2.0 Headphones / Headphones / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      25.07.2014 19:01

Advantages

• Affordable
      • Comfortable
      • "Great bass "
      • "Sound great"
      • "Look cool"

Disadvantages

Excellent headphones with a great look

I got these headphones as some stylish alternatives and have been very happy with the look and sound of them so far, however I do have a few complaints.

The box they came in was a really nice touch - it was almost like unboxing an apple product. They came set in what seemed like a molded polystyrene mount - though smooth and not prone to falling apart like usual polystyrene. Not sure what the material was but it was definitely nicer than plastic. The cable connects to the base of the right headphone but the cable itself is rather short, so you can't travel far from your source.

They're definitely good looking and well made. The ear pads are a leathery material, which is a definitely improvement over the cloth/foam type material of my last headphones which was prone to getting dirty. I even found that because they are quite snug-fitting they do actually block out a decent amount of sound - so much so I can't hear anything else even on a low volume.

They are comfortable enough to wear for long periods, though I've found they do make my ears feel a bit clammy and sweaty after a lot of use.

The headband is a strange material - it's rubber-like but different to the touch. I'm not sure what it is but again this is an improvement. over my last pair, which had a plastic headband with padding covered in the same material as the ear pads, which was awful for messing up your hair.

The actual headband is quite flexible - not as much as I've seen in some other headphones, but enough that if you knock them or bump them it's not going to snap.

I'm not too big a fan of the adjustable struts on the headphones. While they click into certain slots it's not a very sturdy click, so it can be quite difficult to get both sides to the same length. This is especially annoying as you really need to slot them back up to the smallest size to be able to easily get them in the included carry bag.

The bag itself is a nice material. I'm not sure what it's made of but it's very soft to the touch. It also includes a large, subtle logo on the face of the bag.

The design is great with lots of little details, such as the logo on the sides and top of the headband which is subtle and doesn't look garish. There's even a little logo on each end of the cable, which was a really neat detail.

The sound quality of the headphones is great. They're very clear and both classical music and music with heavy bass sounds great in them.

My only disappointment is that there is no volume control and it's all done through the phone.

Overall I'm happy with these. They're a little expensive, but they sound good and look good

25.07.2014 18:51

Advantages

Disadvantages

Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Toilette is

The Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Toilette is available from GBP 29.00.

The Eau de Toilette comes in a round flacon with a cap. At the cap is a daisy fixed. The product name is on the flacon. It includes 20 ml.

The Eau de Toilette is described as follows. "Radiant and enchanting, Daisy is a sparkling floral bouquet - spirited and fresh, wrapped in comfort and warmth. At the heart of Daisy is a floral with vintage edge: Violet. Sophisticated with a touch of whimsy, Violet captures the eclectic, vintage flavour of Marc Jacobs' feminine, edgy designs. The bottle design features a luxurious block of weighted, clear glass topped with a playful scattering of daisies that appear to bloom from the rounded gold cap."

The Eau de Toilette is fresh and intensive with a flowery scent. A fresh scent of violet leafs and a light scent of strawberries can be noticed. The flowery scent of gardenia, violet and jasmine is noticeable. Followed by a light vanilla scent. The fruity notes can be especially noticed, nevertheless the scent can be described as flowery and powdery. The scent is not too intensive and the intensity is soft.

The top note consists of strawberry notes, intensive green aroma of violet leaf and pink grapefruit. Followed by the middle notes gardenia, delicate violet, and jasmine petals. The base notes are white woods, vanilla and musk.

The Eau de Toilette is not long-lasting and can be noticed for about 4 hours.

I can recommend the Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau de Toilette, as it is a not too intensive and gentle scent. The intensity is soft and the scent is not long-lasting.

• JBL Control 25 / Speaker / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      25.07.2014 18:37

Advantages

• "Good volume"
      • "Good treble"
      • "Good bass"

Disadvantages

• "Poor aesthics"
      • "Deep bass missing"

Great speakers but lack super deep bass

I bought these speakers for my bedroom sound system about a year ago and so far they have done very well in many environment, just for listening to them in my room to getting a pummelling and parties. They still work great and have maintained the integrity of their sound with strong highs and lows.

Sound
      These have great treble and mid bass and fantastic volume; enough to fill a house of you want to. The only issue I have found is their lack of super deep bass, which is sometimes in audible if it is sub bass, but I have found these JBLs cope better with deep bass at higher volumes but I don't think this is sustainable to keep them on for so long.

Looks
      I haven't been particular pleased with the look of them but that's just my opinion. They are certainly well made and sturdy and reliable,
      shown by the lack of problems I have had with them. However I think they look a bit tacky but that doesn't matter if they are tucked away under a table or in a corner.

Ease of use
      Very simple to use, aux and splitter sockets to connect many of them together

Value for money
      These are mid priced speakers at around £120 for the single, and I would say they have certainly been worth the expense in a practical sense. However, for this price I would expect my speakers to deal with super deep bass, but then again that was not my motive in buying these particular speakers

25.07.2014 18:35

Advantages

• "Tightens my pores and freshens my skin"

Disadvantages

• " it's great "

Lovely tightening face mask from Boots

I have been using Boots own brand of face masks for years, ever since I was in my teens, to be exact. one of their best ones for a freshen up is the tea tree and witch hazel mask which comes in a small fifty ml sized tube and is available only from BOots. This is applied directly to the skin and I only ever put on a small amount, less than the directions actually tell me too, as this saves money and i have found that the mask works just as well as if i had applied a thicker coating. I usually lie down and wait about twenty minutes with this mask on my face and allow it to dry off. IT's the type of mask that peels off the skin rather than washes off and whilst it does feel a little bit odd, the first time you use this, the skin on my face and neck does feel wonderfully smooth and polished afterwards. I also do feel a very slight tingling sensation on my skin whilst his mask is taking time to dry off and I think this is the witch hazel getting to work in tightening up my pores. I use this mask about once very two weeks and I would thoroughly recommend it .

• Lush Sympathy The Skin / Skin Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      25.07.2014 18:32

Advantages

• "Recyclable pots."
      • "Against animal testing"
      • "Organic and Fair Trade products used"
      • "Good for irritated and sore skin"
      • "Lovely scent"
      • "Moisturised skin"

Disadvantages

• "Leaves little specks on your skin."
      • "Quite expensive"

"Sympathy for The Skin" A Lush Production.

My ignorance of Lush products was put to rights earlier this year when I was given a selection of goodies for my birthday. Selected by my niece who has worked for Lush I now realise what all the fuss has been about. They are almost good enough to eat!

Sympathy for The Skin, starring Bananas! (under cover agent)

Bananas are one of my favourite fruits and have a leading role in the body lotion "Sympathy for the Skin" I never knew this bendy fruit possessed such effective moisturising properties. This lovely lotion comes in the standard black Lush tub with the screw top and on opening smells and looks like a thick, pale, creamy yoghurt lightly sprinkled with specks of vanilla...

Leading Lady, Fair Trade Vanilla.

It doesn't smell like a banana yoghurt though as it exudes a warm scent of exotic Vanilla pod infusion. The Fair Trade Vanilla attracts and binds moisture and comes all the way from the tropics via Lush to my moisture hungry skin.

Co -Starring, Fair Trade Organic Coca Butter.

This perennial favourite oozes charm and sinks almost instantly into your skin leaving it supple and moisturised and mingles with the vanilla scent. His supporting stars, the oil brothers, sandalwood and lemon add to the scented charm of this production.

Critics Opinion.

I have dry skin that needs generous amounts of moisturising particularly in the summer when the legs come out of hiding. Sympathy suits me very well and with regular use improves the quality of my skin. It is absorbed very quickly and leaves a light coca/vanilla scent which remains with me overnight if I use it just before bed time. Lush recommend it for sore or irritated skin and I think this would be a help to those who have these types of problems. It's not cheap though at 11.25pounds for 240 g but I think you are getting a high quality, ethical product and as it is so rich a little goes a long way. The only drawback that I have found is that the little bits of vanilla stay as specks on your skin which can look a bit strange particularly on your neck. Maybe something for Lush to change.

I would award this Lush production 4 out of 5 stars as it is expensive and a bit speckly.

Thanks for joining me! showing at a Lush stores near you and online.

25.07.2014 18:22

Advantages

• "Works well and absorbs easily "

Disadvantages

• "I can't wear it during the day - too rich "

Great as an alternative to the Simple range

I have recently been using Simply Sensitive Might Moisturiser from Boots which does remind me a lot of the Simple range that I use all the time too. Last time I bought a pot of the Night Moisturizer in this range it was on special offer of buy one and get another for half of the proce. This moisturizer is lovely and rich and thick and creamy, yet despite this it never clogs my pores or makes me break out in spots, which is surprising as I usually have to be really careful about using thick and heavy night creams as they can be very heavy for my skin. It sinks into my skin rapidly and it's great to use f you have been out in the sun all day log like I have today as that is when my skin is at its most sentive and as it contains aloe vera, this makes it feel very cooling and calming and soothing on my skin. IT doesn't really have any fragrance that I am able to detect but it makes my sin feel lovely and smooth and plumps it up. Great to wear just before bed at night but obviously no good to wear as a light day time moisturizer. Lovely stuff and highly recommended.

25.07.2014 17:08

Advantages

• "makes a full batch"
      • "fairly priced"

Disadvantages

Good cheap fun, makes brilliant cookies

We never have really been the baking type, but when we came across this cookie mix, we thought it might be a good idea to give it a go. We bought two just in case, because being first timers we expected to mess up horribly the first time.

Making the product:

The mix has instructions on the back of the packet, so they are very easy to make. You simply follow the recipe, bake, and the cookies are done! It really is that simple, but, as mentioned, it was our first time, so of course we missed steps from the instructions and they went horribly wrong! Good job we bought two! But it was a lot of fun making them. This is a good product to buy when you have children, because they would really enjoy making them, and having a treat at the end of it too.

The price:

This mix only cost us 77p per box, which i thought was very cheap. You cant go wrong considering to buy a packet would cost you around the same price. For those who love to bake, i should imagine they would much rather make their own instead of buying them ready made.

Overall review:

I think this is a really great product, with a brilliant price. As mentioned above, its also a cheap way to entertain the kids, especially on the holidays! I would recommend anyone who wants to give home baking a shot to buy some of these products, just to give it a go!

25.07.2014 16:55

Advantages

• "cheap and cheerful"

Disadvantages

• "very fattening"

Low quality but cheap

I have always been a fan of bargain shopping. I actively seek out new bargains every time that i visit a shop. I think it is good to buy products you was going to buy anyway cheap, everyone likes it. But sometimes it has floors.

I was wondering around the biscuit isle when i came across these cookies. The ones next to them where £1.60 and these where less than 50p, so these quite frankly looked more appealing on my pocket, plus you actually get more in these than you do most packets of biscuits.

Unfortunate when we first tried these products with our usually cup of tea, i must say i was less than impressed. The cookies did not really have much taste to them i thought. They are obviously mass produced which is why they can sell them so cheap, but they have missed out the quality in the ingredients used to make them, which is a shame.

A lot of Tesco home brand products are really good, and some of them even rival the top brands. If you are on a budget these kinds of products really do help you out, but you really do need to pick and choose these wisely.

As for these biscuits, I would not get them again, it is worth paying the extra pound to get the quality i think. Perhaps if they made a new recipe, even if it meant charging a little bit more per pack, they would appeal to me more. The product is also very fattening too, which most cookies are, but they are very very high in saturated fat!

• Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (DVD) / DVD / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      25.07.2014 16:46

Advantages

• "Creepy gothicism"
      • Songs
      • Plot

Disadvantages

• "Not for overly-sensitive kids"

A Masterpiece of Animation that Deserves to be Seen

A beautiful masterpiece from Tim Burton with the measured flow of the art of stop-motion animation. I think stop-motion is underused in terms of films, probably because of the laborious process it requires, but it lends a beautiful motion and affect to the whole thing.

So, OK, what we basically have here is the story of two lovers - Victor and Victoria, due to be married to raise funds for her family and status for his. Luckily, they both love each other, unluckily, poor Victor is a bit of a klutz and ends up marrying a dead woman. The dead woman is rather - um - animated, and not too happy with the idea of Victor bouncing off and leaving her for 'Little Miss Living.'

The dead woman is Emily, voiced by Helena Bonham Carter and a suitable mixture of naïve and demanding. Johnny Depp voices the bemused Victor.

Danny Elfman's songs are catchy, beautiful, and always the right tone for the moment in the film. Elfman's music perfectly blends in with Tim Burton's gothic yet magical world - a world in which the land of the dead is full of colour, while the land of the living is dour and strict.

This is perhaps not the best film for overly-sensitive kids, but many kids will enjoy it just the same. Kids can be far more comfortable with things that adults assume are too scary than they are given credit for - and at the end of the day there is very little violence in this film, and the danger comes from the living, not from the dead, who, while looking a little frightening, are the friends and family of this film. The living meanwhile scheme for their own ends. Still, if you know that your child gets scared easily, don't let them watch this film.

The plot of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride is reminiscent of a fairy tale and the final scene reinforces this magical beauty through some stunning visuals.

25.07.2014 16:30

Advantages

• "They seem to love the taste"
      • "Eases the discomfort of hairballs"

Disadvantages

• Expense

Say balls to furballs!

Hairballs or Furballs are horrible little lumps of hair which build up in a cats stomach over time due to them ingesting lots of fur when grooming themselves.
      Now and again a furball will be coughed or vomitted up causing discomfort for the cat.

My cat is just over a year old and in that year has only had one small hairball, though in the past few months since it has been getting warmer and he's moulting a lot more and fairly often he will be quite miserable. He will sulk off on his own looking fed up, may be a little off his food, drinking lots of water, runny eyes and smelly breath. All of which lead me to believe he's about to have a furball. Each time he's like this it will last a couple of days and then eventually he will vomit and struggle a lot with it. Often it is just bile with a bit of fur in it but I had a feeling there was a lot of fur waiting to come up.

Royal Canin food can be found in lots of vets and pet shops and is highly recommended as a high quality food...which comes at a higher price than other brands!
      My cat is lucky that my family love to spoil him and a recent Zooplus box arrived containing plenty cat litter and a big 10kg bag of this food.

Not wanting to leave anyone out, I gave Bobby and the 2 feral visitors a dinner of the Royal Canin Intense Hairball. They all wolfed it down and were looking for more. Even the fussiest of them, one of the ferals, didn't bother to sniff it suspiciously and gobbled it up.

It states that it's effectiveness is proven within 21 days. About a week after starting to feed this, Bobby had a little furball which came up fairly easily and without as much discomfort as usual. The following week another small one and a couple of weeks later a larger one. Since then he seems to be passing a lot of fur out of the other end so it must be working! I don't think you can ever completely eliminate furballs, but reducing the number, size and discomfort of them is a big help.

The only negative with this food is the cost. At around £45 for 10kg it is twice the price of the likes of GoCat dry food and much more expensive than value brands.
      A 10kg bag does last a long time so I think it works out that the food only costs around £2 a week per cat so it's not too bad. If you want to try it but can't afford the large bags which prove best value for money, smaller packets are available and you could always alternate between this and a cheaper variety and add wet food to the diet which would reduce the amount of this food needed.
      I will be buying it again!

25.07.2014 15:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Decent printer

We bought this when our other printer decided to break on us and print in blotches of ink. It was really frustrating because we had not even had it for that long so it felt like we had just wasted 30 odd pounds.

I like that this printer has several features and it is not just a simple printer. It is a scanner, copier AND printer. I like this feature of it purely for the fact that you do not have to purchase separate products that do the same thing. Instead you have the one product that does all three things.

This printer not only performs well but looks great too. It is sleek and contemporary and blends in well in the room without looking too out of place. The printer is not too big and bulky but it is just right.

The downside of this printer for me is that the quality of the printing is probably not the best but saying that it is not too bad. It kind of makes what you print look a little a bit dull and the colour that is originally in what you are printing, especially pictures, is not there.

I believe that this printer is definitely good quality for money as there are several features to it. I would recommend this to those who may be on a budget and are looking for a good quality product with all the features, without having to buy separate products that do the same thing.

25.07.2014 15:42

Advantages

• "Kind to sensitive skin"
      • "Unisex scent"
      • "Works well"

Disadvantages

• "Not much lather.."

RE - Fresh..!

~ Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel ~

This review will outline my experiences of trying the "Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel", which I purchased recently for around £1 in a local (independent) pharmacy. You can also buy it online and in some discounted drugstores such as Savers.

The packaging is in keeping with most of the other shower gels I've purchased from the Nivea brand in the past; the upright bottle has a slightly 'rounded' look to its edges that gives it a modern appearance. The bottle is made of see-through plastic, and the gel is an attractive green-blue shade.

I find that the Fitness Fresh Shower Gel dispenses easily from its bottle; it's consistency is not overly thick, but it doesn't 'drip' easily either.

The Fitness Fresh scent feels considerably more 'unisex' than most of the other shower gel products that I've been using recently, and this is exactly what I had anticipated. The scent feels wonderfully refreshing, quietly revitalising, and really rather nice. I do have to admit that the scent is considerably less 'robust' than many of the other shower gel products from within the Nivea range that I've tried before, and if I'm being perfectly honest, it's rather too understated for my liking.

True, the scent is entirely noticeable during the time the product is being used, but as soon as my shower time is over and I begin to get dried, the scent seems to disappear. Not even a faint trace of the pleasant scent lingers on the skin afterwards. On the plus side, this makes it perfectly suited to use first thing in the day, when other shower gels and bath creams feel rather too overpowering for use at this hour; I am not too fond of 'heady' scents at this time of the day as they often feel too much. The Nivea Fitness Fresh, on the other hand, feels much more suited to this time of day when I am in need of something with a slightly more 'muted' scent.

The Fitness Fresh Shower Gel doesn't produce a particularly luxurious lather, with it feeling rather 'flat' in this respect.

I did feel, however, that the gel left my skin thoroughly cleansed and somewhat refreshed after use. I noticed that there was no residue lurking on the skin, nor did my skin feel 'tight' or at all uncomfortable. In actual fact, I was pleased to note that I suffered no acceleration to the dryness that is often present after showering; it seems to me that the Fitness Fresh Shower Gel has a considerably more 'nourishing' formulation than I had first anticipated.

As with all products in the Nivea range that I have tried before, I have suffered nothing in the way of irritation or sensitivity during the use of this product so I do recommend it for consumers with sensitive skin issues.

Taking everything into account, I do recommend the Nivea Fitness Fresh Shower Gel and would repurchase it again in the future.

25.07.2014 15:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Strong smell

I suffer from hay fever and when it gets really bad I have been advised to steam my face to open my nasal passage. At first I just used to use plain steaming water because we did not have any essential oils except for lavender. My mother bought me this and I used it straight away. It definitely helps with the steaming and I feel it working better in opening up my nasal passage.

Essential oils are quite expensive, which is understandable, but do not let that put you off because you seriously only need a couple of drops of the oil for you to be able to smell it. It is so strong and you can seriously smell it from a couple of rooms away!

I love the smell of Eucalyptus and I would definitely look into buying more essential oils, even if I do not know what I am going to be doing with them!

• Apple iMac MB417B/A / Desktop PC / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      25.07.2014 15:21

Advantages

Disadvantages

Supreme

My love affair with Apple products began when my sister first purchased a Macbook. I never really understood why people were so obsessed with Apple products until I was at the hands of one. They are so sleek and just have got it going on!

Our family computer was a Packard Bell that had been giving us trouble for some time, we had had it for a while but regardless of that it was just not that good to begin with. It would always crash and take hours to load. It was getting so frustrating so we decided on purchasing a new computer. Originally we did not make a plan to buy an iMac purely because of how expensive they are, but when we got to the store everything changed.

The iMac's just stood above the PC's and we could not resist. Additionally what pushed us that little bit more in getting the computer was the price, it was on offer and not as expensive as we thought it would be.

Now, the computer itself is very different to any PC. It can take some getting used to if you are new to it. For example, Apple products run on the internet application 'Safari' instead of internet explorer and the exit tab is on the top left hand side rather than the right. You will have to read the manual before hand to fully understand each application and how to work the computer.

The computer itself is just a monitor, it does not come with a large box to help it function, which is great because it does not take up tons of space which makes the room look a lot tidier as there are less wires hanging out of places.

The computer itself works a lot faster and it is less likely to crash than other PC's. We have not had any trouble with it as of it and would definitely recommend it to everyone. It may come with a heavy price tag but trust me it is so worth it.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown