• Vicks VapoRub / Coughs, Colds & Flus / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 15:05

Advantages

• "Jar lasts forever"
      • "whole family can use it"
      • "Smells nice"
      • "Works on lots of cold symptoms"

Disadvantages

• "None at all"

Amazing!

Has anyone heard of the old wives tale of smearing Vicks on your toddlers feet to help relieve coughing at night? I had, but hadn't believed it until a good friend tried it when her daughter had a bad cold and swore it worked a treat. So when our son next had a cough - which all you mommy's and daddy's know seems to be a weekly thing I promptly trundled off to Tesco and invested in a pot of Vick Vapour-rub. I got a nice big tub for about £5.00 which i thought was reasonable for the size and that night followed my friends instructions. Just before bed I smeared it over his feet and popped socks on him and off he went to bed coughing. Now some people had said the coughing stops instantly but this doesn't seem to happen, but within about half an hour our little boy stopped coughing and had a full nights peaceful sleep. Since then we use it religiously every time he has a cough and it never fails to work. Miracles do happen!

Well since getting the tub I too have been using it whenever I felt a cold coming on and it does work wonders. Rubbed on to the chest, throat, and/or back it helps clear bunged up noses and soothe sore throats and coughs making you feel so much better and helping you sleep. Ok so the scent is strong and I dont use it if I'm at work, but before bed when you have a cold I love it.

It does come off onto clothes/bedsheets but a wash soon gets rid of that so that isn't a problem for me and the benefits of a good nights sleep when your coughing or blocked is worth it! From now on there will always be a big tub in our medicine cabinet!

• Calpol Calcough / Coughs, Colds & Flus / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 14:53

Advantages

• "Can use alongside Calpol"
      • "soothes temporarily"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't seem to work for long"

Good to combine with Calpol but not that effective

We tried the calpol calcough the last time our son had a tickly cough. We had used tixylix previous but it had been when Tixilix had recalled a lot of bottles due to a health and safety problem, so needing something quickly we opted for Calcough. Made by calpol you expect a good product that works well and we like the fact that you could combine it with Calpol if necessary. Our son had a particularly bad cold so did need the calpol aswell.

The Calcough is an apple flavoured Glycerol medicine, in a yellow box and is dispensed onto a small plastic medicine spoon. Younger babies can have 2.5ml with old children having either 5ml or 10 ml depending on age.

Our son loved the taste of it which always helps if your little one is fussy so we had no problem getting some down him. When he takes the cough mixture is does quickly seem to ease the cough however this effect doesnt last long at all. Within 20 minutes he would be as bad as before which is no good if its the middle of the night and the cough is keeping them awake. Tixylix would always seem to be long-lasting enough to allow him to fall asleep.

I think this is down to the fact that Calcough really doesnt have much in it, its pretty much just Gycerol and flavourings which I know you can't give little ones much more but it just doesnt work as well as Tixylix did.

• The Following - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / TV Series / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 14:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

The Following, One of the most entertaining shows on television.

Kevin Williamson's The Following is great entertainment which is enhanced by strong performances from Kevin Bacon, who is an FBI agent with lots emotional baggage!!
      James Purefoy, plays a seamless role as a serial killer and cult leader on the run.

Williamson, who is best known for writing '90s teen horror film Scream and developing TV shows Dawson's Creek and The Vampire Diaries.

Joe Carroll a convicted serial killer who escapes from prison to continue his killing spree and is joined by an overwhelming amount of cult of followers willing to do whatever is necessary for their leader. Ryan Hardy (Bacon) returns to the FBI because he was the super agent who arrested Carroll the first time. A strong supporting cast makes you question your moral center.

Carroll before his arrest was a professor of literature with a sadistic passion for murder, he took the lives of over a dozen young women and quickly became a serial killer before Hardy connected the dots and took him down. The Following's pilot opens with Carroll's bloody escape from prison and introduces the viewer to a suspected alcoholic Hardy, whose bears the emotional scars of his past.

Hardy quickly recaptures Carroll, but not everything seems to feel quite right, Hardy believes there is an unknown plan been set into motion by Carroll and maybe his presence is not needed for this to come to fruition.

The series heavily relies on the supporting characters as it is Hardy and Carroll, and the excellent cast includes Natalie Zea as Carroll's ex-wife, Claire; Annie Parisse as FBI specialist Debra Parker; Shawn Ashmore as young FBI agent Mike Weston; and Kyle Catlett as Claire and Joe's son, Joey.

The show earns its title from the cult of Carroll, which proves a formidable and violent adversary for the FBI. The series increasingly reveals Carroll as a talented enabler and predator to the weak and downtrodden, and he attracts three young wanderers to his cause: Emma Hill (Valorie Curry), who first met Carroll at a book signing, and Jacob Wells (Nico Tortorella) and Paul Torres (Adan Canto), who masquerade as a gay couple to assist Carroll in tying up some loose ends from his previous killing spree.

THE BLU-RAY:

PICTURE AND SOUND:

All fifteen episodes are presented with excellent 1.78:1/1080p/AVC-encoded transfers. There are five, 45-minute episodes on each Blu-ray disc, and the transfers are mostly excellent. Detail is impressive throughout, and The Following appears strikingly sharp, clear and textured. Facial details are impressive, and wide shots dive deep and come back razor-sharp. Colors are often bold and are usually perfectly saturated, and black levels are very strong. There are a few expected irregularities like black crush, digital noise and a bit of softness, but The Following looks great in HD.

The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks that accompany each episode are quite immersive considering they accompany a cable show. Dialogue is crisp and clean, and effects make great use of the surrounds. Shattering glass, gunshots and screams ricochet through the sound field, and ambient effects like grasshoppers, wind and rain wrap the viewer subtly but effectively. The subwoofer is frequently used to support the action scenes, and the soundtrack is nicely separated and weighty. English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles are available.

PACKAGING AND EXTRAS:

Warner Brothers releases The Following in its expanded "combo pack" format that includes all fifteen episodes on three Blu-ray discs, four DVDs and in HD digital copy format via UltraViolet. The discs are housed in an expanded clamshell case, which slides into a lightweight slipbox. A surprising number of extras accompany the series. Warners revives its Maximum Movie Mode but in this case it's From a Dark Place: Maximum Episode Mode (HD) that accompanies the pilot. You get commentary from Williamson and Director/Executive Producer Marcos Siega alongside on-set footage and interviews with the cast and crew that play over the pilot. Disc one also includes eight minutes of Unaired Scenes (HD). On disc two you get The Thrill of Horror: The Creator Behind The Following (13 minutes/HD); some Unaired Scenes (15 minutes/HD); and several short featurettes: The Followers' Den (2 minutes/HD), The Poe Mask (2 minutes/HD), and Free Megan (2 minutes/HD). Disc three packs in The Cult of Joe Carroll: Inside the Followers (18 minutes/HD); The Following Production Chronicles (28 minutes/HD); and more Unaired Scenes (27 minutes/HD). Finally, you get an Audio Commentary for the Finale by Williamson and Siega.

30.10.2014 14:43

Advantages

• "Full nights use"
      • "Fills the room quickly"
      • "Works as a nightlight aswell"

Disadvantages

• "A refill pad only lasts one night"
      • expensive

Works a treat, and worth the price

As my son is forever getting colds, as all babies and toddlers do, we searched around for a product that would help ease his congestion as it always stopped him sleeping. We had tried the home methods of putting a little vicks in water by a radiator but the smell wore off too quickly and the little man would wake up all bunged up again half way through the night.

So when we saw the Calpol Vapour plugin we soon purchased it. It retails at between £6 & £7 and comes with 5 refill pads. It claims to release a steady flow of eucalyptus vapours to aid easy breathing. The plug in is a while sphere, with a slot for the refil pad and vents at the top to let out the vapours. At the bottom of the sphere is a small blue led nightlight that comes on automatically when the room is dark.

To use you simply insert a refill and pop the plug in and within 15 minutes you can really smell the Vicks like vapours coming out. We have been using this now for about 6 months whenever our son had a cold or was bunged up and it works a treat. We stick it on 15 minutes before he goes up to bed and with it on all night he rarely wakes up bunged up. It also seems to help him when he has a cough as well which is always a bonus.

There are only 2 downsides to the product - the refills are expensive - around £5 for 5 and one only lasts one night. Having said that, having our son sleep better which is beneficial for both him and us is worth the price tag. The other downside is that you cannot switch the nightlight off. It comes on when the lights are turned off and theres no on/off option. We found that the LED was just too bright as our son only likes a very soft nightlight and the sharp blue LED is too much. We have got round it by using the plug in befind a chair to stop it shining out across his roon

• Tesco Extra Power Pain Relief / Pain Relief / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 14:36

Advantages

• "Targets pain quickly "
      • Effective
      • "Reasonably priced"

Disadvantages

• "None for me "

Effective for the more acute pain

We must all get those times, unfortunately, when plain old paracetamol or ibuprofen just aren't strong enough to cope with the pain. Hopefully, this doesn't happen too often.

I always keep some extra strength painkillers in the home, although I don’t mind which brand BUT I rarely pay a lot for well-known brands of painkillers. I honestly feel that supermarket or chemists own painkillers are just as effective as the much more expensive branded ones.

I have some of these in my handbag at the moment but they are caplets rather than tablets. I also buy tablets as my husband and my son don’t mind taking tablets. I keep these in my medicine store. I prefer caplets or capsules (when possible) personally.

I usually choose to take extra strength pain relief for the treatment of a bad headache or migraine or, if I'm suffering with a particularly bad cold or ache.

Fortunately I don’t need to take extra strength very often but I do find that most headaches are remedied much better with extra strength medication and a combination of active ingredients rather than the normal ones.

Tesco Extra Power Pain Relief tablets are a mixture of three active ingredients. These are:

Paracetamol (200 mg)

Aspirin (300 mg)

Caffeine (45 mg)

*They also contain sorbitol

One or two of these tablets, or caplets, should be swallowed with plain water no more than every four hours if required and NO MORE than six should be taken in a twenty-four hour period.

* They are not recommended for anyone under sixteen years of age.

~~OVERALL~~

I always find that these tablets or caplets work very well. I am sure that they work every bit as well as branded pain relief medication.

I find this form of pain relief to be gentle enough on the stomach, although for some they may not be as easy on the stomach as plain paracetamol, being a combination.

The combination of ingredients works well, in my opinion. I also find that the tablets get to work quickly on the more acute type of pain.

And at £0.55 for sixteen caplets they have to be worth it!

30.10.2014 14:27

Advantages

• "nice smell"
      • "nice bubbles"
      • "solid product from johnsons"
      • "2 in 1"

Disadvantages

• "doesnt lather as a wash very well"

Good bubble bath but want more lather out of a wash

We always use Johnson's products on our little one as we like the tried and trusted name of Johnsons. You know you'll get a product that is gentle on skin but still does the job you want it to. We initially got the 2in1 as it was on promotion at Tesco for £1 a bottle. Normal price is around £3. It comes in a peachy coloured 500 ml bottle, but other sizes are available, with the standard Johnson artwork on front and back.

The 2in1 is designed to be both a bubble bath and a wash so saving you using another product to clean little ones on a flannel or sponge. The 2in1 smells lovely. It seems to have a slight peachy scent unlike any other Johnson's products we have purchased which on the whole seem to have a signature Johnsons scent.

As a bubble bath the product is great. A small amount gives tons of frothy bubbles which is great for our son who loves playing with the bubbles. As a wash it is slightly disappointing as it doesn't seem to work up into a decent lather. When you apply to a sponge or flannel it seems to be more creamy than other washes we have used. Having said that as a wash, despite the lack of lather it does clean very well however and is gentle on baby's skin and non-drying.

I would recommend the 2 in 1 as a good bubble bath, and an ok wash. It produces lots of bubbles in the bath but not much lather as a wash. Good for a space and money saver

• Ocado.com / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 14:06

Advantages

• "Ocado magazine"
      • Samples
      • Savings
      • "Add products twelve hours before delivery"
      • "Provides a text service to alert you when delivery is coming"
      • "Great offers"

Disadvantages

• "Items replace not exactly with what you need."
      • "Broken items"

Happy service

We have been shopping with Ocado for over two years and happy with the service they provide. We have seen the changes they have implemented when you make comments and that makes you feel like a valued customer.
      The online choice feels more like a quality food market sometimes than a 'supermarket'. They really support small business and offer a great range of organic and gluten free products.
      When a product is out of stock they have a list of alternatives products to choose from, only downside is when you can't change your order after a certain time due to the cut off they need to pack your items so sometimes they replace your items with for example : Boneless fish for fish with bones. Diced steak for mince steak.
      They have introduced a smart pass for a small cost , the advantages are
      Free delivery
      Save 10% on smart pass products.
      Priority Christmas slots
      Competitions [very good prizes]
      Product samples

The delivery men are very good and just get on with the job. Help you with your bags and even take the previous bags to recycle. They talk you through your receipts if there are any changes.
      The website has a pet store, recipes, the kitchen store, seasonal promotions, offers, promotions introduction to friend discounts.
      I would happily recommend OCADO.

30.10.2014 14:00

Advantages

• "My cat likes to eat them"
      • "They smell pleasing"

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

Whiskas chicken sticks

WHAT IS IT?

These are treats or snacks to give to your cat. The flavour I have got is chicken and they are made with 80% of chicken so are not rubbish like some treats I bought for my cats recent that were chicken flavour only and I did not know they had no meat in them until they had been eaten.

WHAT I THINK

I give these sticks only to one of my cats because she is an indoor cat only and the other two go out so sometimes it is just me and her in the house and then I like to treat her to make her feel happy and loved.

She eats these sticks quite slow but I can tell that she is enjoying them. They do not smell very bad to me and I think the smell is a little bit like some chicken soup that you buy in a packet that are powder. They are easy to eat because they are soft even though they look crunchy like a biscuit, you can break pieces off and feed them to your cat one at a time or give your cat the whole stick to play with while they are eating. I give them both ways but my cat likes it best when I break off small pieces because then she sits by my feet purring when she is ready for another piece.

I do not give these every day because I do not give alot of snacks to my cats but when I look for treats I buy a packet of these because I know my cat likes them very much and they will not be wasted.

ANYTHING ELSE

A packet that has got 3 sticks in it costs about £1 only and I think that is value because of how much my cat likes to eat them.

5 Dooyoo Stars.

30.10.2014 13:59

Advantages

• "high dose of vitamin c"

Disadvantages

• "Saccharose Monopalmitate"
      • "artificial sweeteners"

lemon and lime vit c

Review is also on my ciao account

Whilst I am more a believer in eating a well-balanced diet provides all the vitamins and minerals you need I do think that a bit of a boost of this vitamin can help prevent getting colds or makes them much shorter lived. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin and your body does not store it so you need a supply of it on a daily basis. Whilst the 1000mg may seem a little excessive research indicates that this level is safe.

Pack and cost

The pack is a fairly small tube which has a sealed cap. Inside the cap there is a small amount of a drying agent to prevent the tablets reacting with any moisture in the air. The fizz comes from the reaction between the Sodium Bicarbonate and citric acid in the tablet when it goes into the water.

My current pack is the lemon and lime flavour one. They cost around £2.50 for a tube of 20 one a day tablets. I feel that this price is rather expensive compared to the non-effervescent ones but I do find them a bit more convenient. To take them you simply need to drop one into a glass of water wait for it to fizz and dissolve then drink.

Taking:

Do they taste as described? Well, sort of there is a hint of a lemon and lime taste to it but the taste is, in my opinion, a bit artificial. The initial taste is a bit like those sherbet lemons I could buy in the 80s as a child. Then there is the after taste from the artificial sweeteners giving a slightly bitter chemical after taste to them which lingers for some time. Still it is a case of, as my dad would say, through the teeth and round the gums, watch out stomach here it comes. The fizziness of the drink is nothing really to write home about and I personally find it a little flat a bit like a can of cola that has been left open overnight.

What else is in it?

Well I recognise almost all the ingredients but ‘Saccharose Monopalmitate’ had me a little stumped at first. Well saccharose is a rather redundant scientific word for sugar in particularly sucrose (table sugar) and a palmitate is a fatty acid ester from palmitic acid. Now Palmitic acid is a saturated fatty acid but it will be in the tablets in low amounts. Although why they couldn’t just use the sugar as it is beyond me.

The product is suitable for vegetarians and I gluten free

Review also appears on ciao (edited here due to 500 word limit)

• Teapigs Spiced Winter Red Tea / Tea / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.10.2014 13:48

Advantages

• "Beautiful hint of winter"

Disadvantages

• Tannin

Winter Warmer

Currently working my way through the whole range of Teapigs with my family! And having a great time.
      The base of this tea is Roobios, otherwise known as red bush tea. A distinctive sweet taste that is also earthy.
      The Roobios claims to carry health benefits with antioxidents, high mineral content, improves circulation, releives stomach complaints and also aid sleep. Only downside to Rooibos is the strong tannin.
      With all these health claims you also have the great flavours of orange, cloves and cinnamon.
      The flavour is gentle, not overwhelming and tastes quite cleansing. If you would like the taste stronger than leave the teabag in a little longer, another great plus is that you can use this tea bag more than once.

• Serano SC500B / Furniture / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.10.2014 13:36

Advantages

• "Long lasting"
      • "Good price"
      • "Modern and Stylish"

Disadvantages

• "Seems to attract dust"

A godo study stand which looks nice and modern

The TV stand can withstand a maximum weight of 60kg and is suitable for TV's up to 42inch. The dimensions are 48cm(h) x 105cm(w) x 45cm(d), towards the back of the stand, the edges are cut in so that the stand will fit nicely into a corner of the room rather than flat against the wall.

The design of the stand is very simple, it consists of three glossy black glass shelves which are made from toughened safety glass. Each shelf is separated by silver chrome effect pillars. I would say that the look of the stand is very simple, modern and one which I really like. Despite the fact that this was free, the unit does have quite an expensive look to it.

I must say that the stand when loaded with the TV on top is quite heavy and very hard to move around so I would say, make sure you have the TV in the right place as you will definitely require two people to move it around.

This TV stand is the perfect size for a 42inch television, the edges of the tv sit inline with the edge of the stand. The fact that the stand is black means that it fits in well with the decor of our living room and also matches the trim of our television.
      The shelves on the stand are quite deep and allow plenty of room for other electrical items to be stored, we currently have two games consoles, blu-ray player and two Sky boxes sitting on them and there is still plenty of room for other items to be placed underneath.
      Although the stand has a supporting column at the back which has holes cut in where the wires can be thread through, the rest of the back is open and I do find that the wires can look a little unsightly. We have a number of electrical items on the stand so there seems to be hundreds of wires (this could be an issue with the hubby not being tidied up properly though). The positive note about the stand being backless is that all the other electrical items can 'breathe easily' and I don't have to worry about them overheating.

Within one day of giving it a dust down, it looks like it hasn't been touched in a week - the stand seems to attract more dust than the rest of the furniture in the same room

I actually received this as a freebie when we purchased our plasma TV several years ago however this can be purchased from Currys priced at 80pounds

I would definitely recommend this TV, the price is good and its really quite durable, even with the cleaning issue, I would still give this 5 out of 5 stars.

30.10.2014 13:10

Advantages

• "They give me support on an injury"
      • "You can wash and reuse the bandages"
      • "They are easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "There are no disadvantages"

Boots tubular bandages

WHAT IS IT?

This is a stretchy bandage that comes in a tube shape so that you can put your arm or leg inside the bandage and roll it into place instead of having to know how to apply and fasten a bandage.

HOW DO YOU USE IT?

These tubular bandages come in different sizes and you should check the box that you are going to buy the correct size because it is very easy to buy the wrong one.

When you need to apply the bandage you cut the long tube to a length that is double of the size you need it to be and then put your hand or foot inside and pull the bandage into the correct place. When you have done that you have to double up the bandage by pulling the end the other way so it has come back on itself.

WHAT I THINK

I am very happy with these bandages and I use them alot on my own injuries and for my husband also because he plays alot of sports and sometimes gets hurt.

They feel tight on and that is good because it helps for injuries not to swell too much and gives support also. They do not stretch or go baggy very easy and that is good also because the bandage has got to be tight to give the best help when you have hurt yourself. I have to use these most often on my wrist and on my husbands knee also and both of these are old injuries so we rely on the bandages for support only so that we can carry on with what we have got to do without having to stop and rest.

You can use the bandages and and you have to hand wash them in warm water only because they can not be put into the washing machine in case that would cause the elastic to stretch and then the bandages would not be so good.

ANYTHING ElSE

These bandages cost £3.49 and can be bought from Boots only, they are very effective and alot better than some of the other tube bandages I bought this year so I will buy the Boots ones for as long as we need to use them.

5 Dooyoo Stars.

• Tesco Antiseptic Wipes / First Aid / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      30.10.2014 13:05

Advantages

• " no frills wipes"
      • Basic

Disadvantages

Basic, convenient, individually wrapped wipes for small home injuries.

I have a flat where I stay when I’m working from the office and I’ve had it for seven years now. Because I’m there relatively rarely, a lot of the things you’d typically expect to have in a home are missing. Last year I bought some new kitchen knives which were so sharp that I kept cutting my fingers. After the third incident of me bleeding all over the kitchen, mopping it up with toilet roll or kitchen paper, I came to the realisation that I really did need to have a basic first aid kit in the cupboard.

I am not someone who needs a lot and I didn’t want anything too complicated but - due to my tendency towards unintentional self harm with kitchen knives, my priority was to have plasters and dressings and some antiseptic wipes. I have a bottle of Dettol in the cupboard for anything big, but it’s handy to have a few small, individually and hygienically wrapped wipes nearby.

The ones I bought were the Tesco Antiseptic Wipes. Actually I probably didn’t buy them - I think I pinched them out of our larger home first aid kit. A pack of ten will cost you around 75 pence and I still have half a box. If you want to buy them today, the pack has changed slightly from the one in the photograph (mine are still this old design).

My first instinct with any injury is to run it under the cold tap to remove any superficial dirt or debris. After drying the wound, I would then use one of these tissues - or more if one isn’t enough to do the job. They are not designed for dealing with an unintentional amputation by chainsaw but are fine for the ‘falling over on the gravel and wrecking your tights’, cleaning up a bad graze, a small cut or dealing with something like a small infected sore.

Opening the pack is easy - just tear. Tesco are on a basics drive perhaps as there’s not even a little notch to make tearing easier, but I’m sure it’s not beyond most of us to fight our way into a sachet. The fabric is a perforated non-woven cloth and it’s about four inches by five. It unfolds easily, is wet but not TOO wet, and it rubs easily across the skin, leaving a slight tingling effect. The wipe smells of alcohol and hospital corridors. It contains aloe vera extract but you’ll need a sensitive nose to pick that up beneath the overpowering antiseptic smell.

The ingredients are water, alcohol, glycerin (to stop it drying out too quickly), chlorhexidine digluconate (a powerful anti bacterial ingredient more typically found in mouthwash, and aloe vera extract to soothe the skin.

It’s not rocket science, but at 7.5 pence a wipe, it does the job for small home emergencies.

30.10.2014 12:58

Advantages

• "They are easy to make"
      • "They help to reduce a fever"

Disadvantages

• "I do not like the taste"
      • "They do not work well on pains"

Lemsip max strength sachets

WHAT ARE THEY?

Lemon flavoured sachets that you mix with hot water when you have got a cold.

HOW DO YOU USE THEM

You mix the powder in a mug and drink it. In Lemsip Max there is paracetamol and other drugs also and they all work together so that you will feel a little bit better quite quick after you have drank it.

DO THEY WORK?

I think they give a little bit of relief when I have a sachet of Lemsip Max and they bring down my fever better than they act on pains that I am suffering from when I have got a cold.

WHAT I THINK

I do not buy these very often because I do not like the taste and it is hard to drink all of the Lemsip Max when you do not like it. I am happy with the way the powder dissolves very quick into the water and it does not leave any lumps in the bottom or floating on the top of my cup of Lemsip Max.

When I get a cold I always get quite a high fever and I do not think these work so well as if I took paracetamol tablets with other cold relief drugs, they do not work so well on pains also and I still feel like I am suffering for alot longer than if I took tablets instead of drinking this.

You can take one of these sachets of powder every four hours only but while you are using these you cannot use any tablets of paracetamol and I think that is a pity because they are alot more effective for me than these are.

ANYTHING ELSE

A box of 10 of these sachets of Lemsip Max costs about £3.50 and I think that is very expensive because it is only powdered paracetamol with flavouring and so buying sachets is alot more expensive than buying the same drugs in the form of tablets.

2 Dooyoo Stars.

• Sparky TK 65 / Power Saw / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      30.10.2014 12:54

Advantages

• "angled footplate option"
      • "laser helps give straight cut"

Disadvantages

• purple??
      • "too heavy"
      • "cuts off every few seconds of use"
      • "no power"

No spark between this and myself.... it just wasn't to be

It is the same shape and design as any other circular saw, being about the same size as well, being about 250mm long and about 140mm wide and about 200mm in height. The can take a 185mm blade and offers a 20mm depth cut.
      This 1200watt machine is designed to rip through wood using the 32 tooth TCT blade that came already attached, (other blades can be bought).
      The handle is at the side of the cutting blade area and is a strange colour of purple, (not nice really), with the trigger being to the rear and a locking button on the top.
      On the base there is the footplate which is as flat as a witches whatsits and smooth as silk, which means that it glides over the wood you are cutting. On the side of the plate there is a couple of small orange knobs, these are to angle the plate so that you can get a angle cut in the wood.
      On the front, just where there is a yellow sticker, there is a laser which is there to help you get a straight cut in any wood. This works well, at first, but it had to be cleaned out every few seconds due to dust getting into the connections.
      It does have a over heat cut off switch, which cuts off every few seconds once the blade hits a bit of wood. This means that I had to keep resetting the switch after about a 10mm cut, roughly.

This saw just didn't have what it takes to get through 'harder' woods, and, on some occasions, it failed to even get through some 'softer' woods, even 3 ply. This makes this purple saw a waste of space really.
      It weighs a bit too much as well, 4kg roughly, which is not too bad as it spends more of its time on the wood but lifting it up and placing it down over a period of time does tend to get to the upper arm a bit.

The price of this waste of space is a staggering £80 - £90, which is a lot of money for what is really a door stop. It just doesn't have the power that you get with many other, less costly, saws.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown