23.07.2014 10:21

Advantages

• "Amazing scent that lasts"
      • "Lathers well"
      • "Lovely product"

Disadvantages

• "Very expensive"

An amazing body wash but a bit pricey for regular use

I subscribe to the monthly Birchbox which means I get a selection of cosmetics and toiletry samples every month. Last year, one of my samples was a Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang body wash. I’d never tried the Molton Brown range before – I usually use Lush or Soap & Glory – so I was intrigued.

A 300ml bottle of this body wash costs GBP18, so this stuff isn’t cheap. It contains Madagascan ylang-ylang, yuan zhi (which apparently helps to rebalance) and warm cedarwood oil. I love the scent of this product – it is rich and calming, having some of the properties of lavender without actually smelling of lavender. Ylang-ylang is often used in perfumes and this shower gel certainly smells sophisticated and luxurious. It is a lovely rich dark purple colour too.

Only a small amount of the gel is needed in the shower, and it lathers up brilliantly on the shower puff. The scent is very strong and it is really comforting to use. It doesn’t irritate my skin at all, and in fact feels slightly moisturising.

After use, I can smell the shower gel on my body. I am really impressed with how the scent lasts. I do need to use body lotion afterwards (I have the matching Molton Brown lotion) but not as much as usual.

Apparently the body wash can also be used in the bath – I haven’t tried this as I have lots of Lush stuff to use up. I think it would work really well though, judging by the lovely relaxing scent.

Despite the price of this shower gel, I would consider treating myself to a full size bottle. As my introduction to the Molton Brown brand, it has made me consider sampling some of the other items in the range – I’m definitely impressed!

• Acer Aspire E1-771-33126G75Mnii / Laptop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 10:06

Advantages

• reliable
      • fast
      • small

Disadvantages

• "small screen"

compact, light and reliable!

We own a number of laptops, all used for different things, as we work online and require multiple access to the internet.

We first saw this laptop in a high street store, it was displayed with the other Acer laptops. I have always admires Acer, my first laptop i ever bought was a small Acer laptop and it served me well for years before i upgraded.

This note book is light for what it is, with a 17.3" screen. I have always preferred a larger screen on my devices, but i found the pros outweighed the cons with this, and the screen size was just about enough for me to work on.

The laptop is very portable. Weighing in at just over 3kg, this laptop is so light it is great to take out and about with you. Cases can be bought with the laptop and it is very comfortable to carry.

The laptop had a touch pad, which is great to use but i have always like a mouse, i find it much easier to work with.

The laptop has an Intel core i3 processor, which is great for gamers and people who enjoy to surf the web, I found that this laptop is very useful just for day to day activities. We have never really been the gaming type, but the processor is fast enough for people to game on, the only downfall is the size of the screen as I can imagine people who game online to prefer large screens.

All in all this is a great laptop for everyone, great as a starter laptop for old and young alike. It is very easy to use and runs on windows which is the most popular platform.

• Sony XPERIA Z / Smartphone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 09:34

Advantages

• "clear calls"
      • "Big screen"

Disadvantages

• "large phone"

Big and powerful phone.

The Sony Xperia Z1 is by far the best of its kind. My partner recently upgraded from her old Xperia phone to this one last week. The phone had several upgrades that her old phone did not have, all of which met her needs brilliantly.

The main difference with this phone is the screen, it is much larger than the old version of the phone, which is good on lots of levels, especially if you intend to play games with the phone. because this phone is touch screen, the extra sized screen is very helpful for texting. I myself have quite big hands, so if i wish to send a text using her phone it is incredibly useful for me.

Secondly, the phone is supposedly waterproof. The amount of times i have heard friends say they have ruined there phone by dropping it down the toilet is unreal. I cannot understand how people manage to drop there phone down the toilet, why anyone would want to use there phone whilst doing there business shall we say is beyond me! But for these people this feature would be very handy!

The phone runs on android, which is brilliant for the range of apps available, both free and paid. Android is a very popular phone platform, which grows bigger every week which is useful for everyone who enjoys apps.

The call quality on this phone is brilliant too, it is crisp clear and precise which is an important aspect when buying any phone. The phone itself is very large, which some people would not like, especially if you are wearing clothes with only small pockets, but I like a bigger phone myself. The only downfall to me is the sound level, it is not a very loud phone where music is concerned, it sounds fine on headphones, but not played on the loud speaker.

All in all i think this is a fabulous phone, with a brilliant processor which makes this phone very fast. Anyone who has previously enjoyed an Xperia phone, will certainly enjoy this better version.

23.07.2014 08:41

Advantages

• "fast processor "
      • "easy to use"

Disadvantages

• none!

Fantastic product, fast, reliable and easy to use

The Samsung galaxy tab is the smallest of the range. We actually got this tablet free with our phone upgrade, to sweeten the deal i think, but we wasn't really complaining because we was looking for a new tablet anyway.

The tablet is probably the easiest one we have owned. It is very easy to navigate and i think it is fast for the size. It is sleek and light, which i think is important especially when taking the device out and about. The tablet is available in three colors, white, gold and black. I think the gold one looks kind of cheap though, i recommend getting the white one, it looks a lot more professional.

Before we got this tablet we had the Samsung galaxy 2 phone, now i think these are very similar to the tablet, but the screen is bigger. I have always liked these products, there highly sought after and a quality made device. We got ours in white, which looks good but it is very very easy to scratch and get scuff marks on it, which can kind of ruin the tablet unless you are careful, but there are many cases available for this, we have a penguin one for ours which I thought was brilliant!

There are hundreds if not thousands of apps available for the tablet, a lot of which are available free. The tablet runs on Android, so the range of apps is similar to what is available on Android phones too. My favorite app has got to be Angry Birds, which works really well because of the size of the screen.

For anyone looking for a first time tablet, or just an upgrade from what you have now, I recommend getting one of these gadgets, it is a fairly cheap alternative to others. For what it is i think this product is a great buy! These tablets are currently only around £100, so its a great time to get one.

These products are brilliant for adults and kids alike. There are parental controls on the device so you can restrict what your kids can do on these. This is cheaper than most gaming consoles, and you can do a lot more with it too. This can also be used as a work device, i know a number of companies that have started using tablets instead of computers simply because there easier to run. Instead of having to load up a laptop, you simply have to press a button on the top of the tablet and off you go, it is as easy as that! Fantastic product in my opinion!

23.07.2014 07:13

Advantages

• "A better alternative then Tomcase Medicines"
      • "Creates good amount of Vitamins in body"

Disadvantages

• "Some bodies May not get benifits"
      • Expensive

Good and by far the best among all of the Cures

Vitamin C is one of the safest and most effective nutrients, experts say. It may not be the cure for the common cold (though it's thought to help prevent more serious complications). But the benefits of vitamin C may include protection against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and even skin wrinkling.

A recent study published in Seminars in Preventive and Alternative Medicine that looked at over 100 studies over 10 years revealed a growing list of benefits of vitamin C.

"Vitamin C has received a great deal of attention, and with good reason. Higher blood levels of vitamin C may be the ideal nutrition marker for overall health," says study researcher Mark Moyad, MD, MPH, of the University of Michigan. "The more we study vitamin C, the better our understanding of how diverse it is in protecting our health, from cardiovascular, cancer, stroke, eye health [and] immunity to living longer."

"But," Moyad notes, "the ideal dosage may be higher than the recommended dietary allowance."

How Much Vitamin C Is Enough?

Most of the studies Moyad and his colleagues examined used 500 daily milligrams of vitamin C to achieve health results. That's much higher than the RDA of 75-90 milligrams a day for adults. So unless you can eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, you may need to take a dietary supplement of vitamin C to gain all the benefits, Moyad says. He suggests taking 500 milligrams a day, in addition to eating five servings of fruits and vegetables.

"It is just not practical for most people to consume the required servings of fruits and vegetables needed on a consistent basis, whereas taking a once-daily supplement is safe, effective, and easy to do," Moyad says. He also notes that only 10% to 20% of adults get the recommended nine servings of fruits and vegetables daily.

Moyad says there is no real downside to taking a 500-milligram supplement, except that some types may irritate the stomach. That's why he recommends taking a non-acidic, buffered form of the vitamin. "The safe upper limit for vitamin C is 2,000 milligrams a day, and there is a great track record with strong evidence that taking 500 milligrams daily is safe," he says.

Still, American Dietetic Association spokeswoman Dee Sandquist, RD, suggests doing your best to work more fruits and vegetables into your diet before taking supplements.

"Strive to eat nine servings of fruits and vegetables daily, because you will get a healthy dose of vitamin C along with an abundance of other vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that are good for disease prevention and overall health," she says.

While a cup of orange juice or a half-cup of red pepper would be enough to meet your RDA for Vitamin C, here are all the foods and beverages you'd need to consume to reach 500 milligrams (mg):

Cantaloupe, 1 cup (8 ounces): 59mg
      Orange juice, 1 cup: 97mg
      Broccoli, cooked, 1 cup: 74mg
      Red cabbage, 1/2 cup: 40mg
      Green pepper, 1/2 cup, 60mg
      Red pepper, 1/2 cup, 95mg
      Kiwi, 1 medium: 70mg
      Tomato juice, 1 cup: 45mg.

So Biovea is good for using for those who have lesser amount of vitamins in their bodies.

• Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini / Mobile Phone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 04:18

Advantages

• Fast
      • "Great Design"
      • "Ok Price"

Disadvantages

• "Is worse than the S5"

Best Phone Ever

Best Phone Ever. Bought one a couple of months ago, and loved it since. Even though it's not as good as the S5 (which my wife owns) It Is Also Cool to Own.

23.07.2014 04:12

Advantages

• "Good For People with less Vitamin C"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Great, But expensive

If you have low Vitamin C, Hate oranges, and is rich. Buy This product

23.07.2014 01:11

Advantages

• "Easy to navigate the website"
      • "Write reviews"
      • "Look at reviews"
      • "Price comparison"
      • "Amazon vouchers"
      • "Option to donate to charity"
      • "Can make money"

Disadvantages

Great at everything this website offers.

First things first, review writing is not a get rich quick scheme, regardless of the number of articles written. At best it provides a bit of pin money or some extra pocket money that can be saved up for something special. There are numerous review sites out there some of which are better than others and it is worth doing a bit of research on each to see if it is actually worth investing time and effort in writing and posting reviews on these sites. After all, you want to get rewarded for your hard efforts right? Why should the general public be exploited by the administrators who run these sites, the unscrupulous ones who take the work of the public and use it on their site to generate advertising revenue but give the general public nothing in return.

One great review site is Dooyoo. Whilst Dooyoo is a European organisation I have used the UK site. This is a review site that enables members of the general public to post reviews about products, experiences, travel and a whole host of other things. The writer is rewarded 500 Dooyoo miles (which equates to £0.50 for posting a review), which must be a minimum of 150 words long. For every read received (a rating is not required) the writer receives a further 50 Dooyoo miles (which equates to £0.05 ). Dooyoo miles can be converted in to Amazon vouchers, hard cash or it can be donated a charity. There are predetermined “cash out” levels that must be reached before the Dooyoo miles can be redeemed, so writers do need a specific amount of dedication and commitment to get something tangible out of posting articles on Dooyoo.

In order to post on Dooyoo the writer must be a registered member. The registration process is quick and simple and takes a couple of minutes to complete. Once registered the writer is free to get posting articles. In order to post an article the subject matter must be in the Dooyoo catalogue. If it is not in the catalogue the writer can make a formal request through the “suggestions” section. Getting a request approved can take anything from a couple of days to over 4 months or more, which I find simply ridiculous, as a review that was current at the time I suggested a particular product is now obsolete and the product has been replaced with an upgraded alternative.

Dooyoo was set up to be a product review site that is to help potential consumers with buying decisions, however many articles written are not about products, which seems to defeat the objective of this site. Whilst it may be interesting to read about experiences, advice on particular topics, what the writer’s top ten favourite sweets are etc. these are not products and consumers are not going to buy these items so why are these items on this site? It is nonsensical.

• Lenco L-90 / Turntable / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 00:31

Advantages

• "Great aesthetics "
      • "Great wood finish"
      • Reliable

Disadvantages

Turntable heaven

I was bought one of these after moving into a new house with retro interior and it has for into the living room very nicely indeed.

So far the sound has been flawless, I love the crackle of vinyl, it's a sound quality you just can't achieve with digital record players. I've hooked it up with some 50"ers for surround sound and it sounds gorgeous.

My favourite aspect of this product is the retro wooden finish which looks a great dark shade of polished wood which has not yet scratched (although admittedly I have guarded it closely).

One minor worry would be the see through plastic lid, the hinges of which look prone breaking and have started squeaking very slightly but not infuriatingly. It is also important to be very careful when putting on vinyl to avoid scratching them on the needle, and also you must regularly check the needle to see if it has gathered dust; the fluff will cause the needle to skip across the record.

I believe mine cost around the £80 mark but I can't be sure, but for such a price I would've bought one myself. So far a very reliable and enjoyable product that does everything I ask of it.

Overall I am very happy with this product on every aspect; look, operation and reliability. However a turntable need speakers, so be sure to invest in some reliable speakers that can do justice to a good turntable, but when you do you will really notice the difference between them.

• Shoe Zone / Highstreet Shopping / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 00:26

Advantages

• "Good for work"

Disadvantages

• "Not great for kids"

Could be better

Where I live we only have 2 shoe shops one of which being shoe zone. The other shop is abysmal so I always opt for shoe zone. Their shoes are great for work as they dont cost a lot of money so you dont mind if they get ruined. However, I have only ever bought something that has lasted more than a few weeks in there once, but for such a low price you cant expect brilliant quality. I have only bought 1 pair of shoes there for my son and they only lasted 5 days, I'm not entirely sure if it was because he is very active or they were just not made to last, who knows maybe both, so when it comes to shoes for my children I do find it more cost effective in the long run, to travel 10 miles to clarks for them. I very rarely buy shoes for my self anywhere other than shoe zone as it is convinent but if I had more options I probably would shop somewhere else. I can not fault their winter boots though and recommend them to most of my friends and family but do make sure they are the boots with the thick soles and not the foam ones. I do think that shoe zone is a good place to get cheap or temporary shoes but if you are lucky enough to be able to afford to, I would say to go somewhere else a bit mor expensive just to get a good quality, lasting pair of shoes. You get what you pay for.

• JBL Grand Touring Series GTO6527S / Car Speaker / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.07.2014 00:09

Advantages

• "Reliable "
      • "Great sound "

Disadvantages

Well worth the money, blown away

After spending about a month waiting for some money and finally getting it, i was looking around at several other 6x9s such as Kenwoods and Pioneers and they all looked good. Then i went on some external websites and found a review of 10 of the top 6x9 speakers on the market today and, amazingly since these JBL's are cheaper than some of the competitors, they were rated top notch in every category. So I went for it.
      They arrived quickly, as you would expect from amazon. I immediately got to work boring out an area for them, since my car previously had 6.5's in the back. After that, I had to wait for some time to get money for a deck, since the one I just had blew up in a cloud of smoke.
      Now, for the past month, I've had them hooked up with a Pioneer TS-W303R 12" 4-Ohm Subwoofer hooked up as my sub. I'm running them through a simply ancient Kenwood KAC-846 from the 90's with a blown channel. It's running a sub on a low pass crossover bridged on one pair of inputs and these shoved into the non blown channel on the other. And the verdict?
      Simply Staggering!!!! I never knew such perfect headphone-quality sound was possible in a car. I have made several people storm off because there $1000+ dollar systems get blown away by these babies. Nearest to perfect sound that you can get in car audio.
      The tweeters are crisp, clear and concise, the mids are perfect with voices coming out well above everything else and the lows.......I never knew such bass could come out of one small pair of 6x9s. I even have a friend who is a professional audio sales person come by and listen to them and he nearly lost his jaw in amazement because of the clear sound these things produce. They are nearly studio monitor sound with a proper tune, and thats a really rare thing in car audio.
      Cons? Well, i do wish it had push terminal inputs instead of ones you have to solder the cables on.
      All in all, i would buy several more pairs of these and have been recommending them left and right. Buy them, you will not regret it.

22.07.2014 23:54

Advantages

• "Pounding volume"
      • "Reliable "
      • "Good treble"
      • "Good bass"

Disadvantages

• Heavy
      • "Uncomfortable "
      • Overpriced

Style and substance, just at a hefty cost

I purchased a pair of Monster Beats Studio headphones about 4 months ago for a sum around £70 and feel conflicted about them since.
      As a a brand, it seems Beats By Dre is so strong and has such a hold on younger markets it has inflated the prices of their products. It's not that these products are bad, just got more than they should which is a shame.

Sound - great sound with nice deep bass and tinny treble sadly, great if you're on your own but they do leak sound slightly which could anger people on a crowded bus if you're playing something loud. This is a great failing as the main idea of overhead headphones is the retention of sound.

Comfort - they are quite comfortable with a good soft lining over the headband it I find the over-ear headphone too small to fit my big ears causing discomfort and more leakage of sound.
      I am weary of putting them on as they must be slid on and don't bend over your head like many other over head headphones, making them more likely to snap if I'm in a hurry (although they are sturdy so hopefully now)

Reliability- I have experience absolutely no loss of sound quality and no damages to the headphone structure, a very strong sturdy product

Overall I appreciate these are good headphones, but only if you can get them for the price they are worth (~£50-70) as they appear over priced at the moment.

• Bresser Biotar DLX / Microscope / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.07.2014 23:25

Advantages

• Reliable
      • "Good resolution "
      • Works
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Single eyepiece "

Worth more than it's price tag for the relaxed researcher

I am currently a biology student and I required a scope for my studies that was cheap enough that I could buy one and use it in my spare time. I have been using this scope to study infaunal samples for about 4 months now and I am very satisfied for the price.

Using this to study diatoms, I believe this to have a visual quality rival scopes around to £100 mark we use in labs. The image is clear and capable of over 200x magnification. So far there has been no issues with the lighting platform and the brightness is adjustable thankfully. The sample clips are not stiff or over complicated either.

This microscope is comfortable to use in short bursts, however I find having a single eyepiece can cause strain on the eye in overuse and the eye that must be tightly shut to maintain a clear view. Therefore this is less comfortable to use than the scopes with dual eye pieces we use in the labs and I would be less keen to use it for extended periods.

This scope is also very easy to use, it took me no longer than 10 minutes or so to fully become familiar with it's set up and operation, as it has very few major controls.

Overall this is a good microscope for the price it asks and is worth more. It's simple to use and reflects the essence of a light microscope, perfect for beginners or part-time scientists but I would avoid extended use.

• Overgrown - James Blake / Music Album / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      22.07.2014 23:08

Advantages

• "great voice"

Disadvantages

• none

A fantastic follow up!

- About James Blake -
      James Blake is a 24 year old musician from London.
      His career began with the release of a 12” single, Air and Lack Thereof back in 2009 (at the age of just 21), which was a hit with BBC Radio 1.
      He went on to release 3 EPs in 2010 before his eponymous debut album was released in early 2011 charting at number 9.
      Overgrown is the second album from James Blake. It was released on 8th April 2013 and after enjoying his debut I downloaded this album, curious to see if it would be as good as the first.
      Overgrown reached number 8 in the albums chart.

James Blake is a very unique musician and he has a very different style to every other artist I have listened to.
      I always find it difficult to categorise music, but I think most people would struggle to compare James Blake to another artist.
      His songs tend to be slow with quite a sad sound to them.
      A lot of his songs are played on the piano, which is a sound that I love, but he often combines this with a soft and gentle electronic sound, which is refreshing and different.
      His music is usually slow paced and has a chilled out feel to it.
      His vocals are fantastic. His voice is beautiful. He is a very talented artist and he has been nominated for numerous awards.

- Tracklisting and My Thoughts -

1) Overgrown
      Overgrown is a soft gentle piano track. It has a sad feel to it. Blake's vocals are quite high pitched contrasting with the low notes played on the piano. I really like this song.
      2) I Am Sold
      This track is slow paced like the others on the album, but with a touch of urgency to it. The piano is gentle and hides behind Blake's vocals. This track also has an electronic sound to it, but it is slow and subtle, not what you'd expect from a typical electronic track.

3) Life Round Here
      This is fast paced with a nice electronic feel to it. The vocals are echoing and layered. Although this is a quicker paced track it still has a chilled out feel.
      4) Take A Fall For Me
      This is one of my favourite tracks on the album. The soft electronic sound is accompanied by Blake's high pitched vocals and there is also an American voice on the track. I think this track really stands out.

5) Retrograde
      Retrograde has a sad feel to it. It showcases Blake's vocals. It is a slow track, but it has a gentle electronic sound. I really like this track. It is another of my favourites and I really like the music video for this song as well.
      6) DLM
      DLM is more of a typical piano and vocals combination. This track really showcases Blake's vocals.

7) Digital Lion
      This is another of my favourites. Lots of soft electronic sounds combined with Blake's high pitched vocals. This is a track that has a really chilled out feel to it.
      8) Voyeur
      This is a slow track with quiet vocals and soft slow music. The vocals have quite a muffled sound, but in a good way.

9) To The Last
      To The Last is a slow piano and synthesized track with high pitched vocals from Blake. This is another track with a really chilled out, relaxed feel.
      10) Our Love Comes Back
      Our Love Comes Back is a lovely slow piano track, again offering high pitched vocals with subtle electronic sounds.

- Conclusion -
      I only had to listen to this album once to realise it was going to be as good as his debut.
      Each track has been perfected combining the music, the electronic sound and the expressive vocals.
      The lyrics are meaningful, sometimes a bit cryptic, but they can be quite repetitive and some songs only have a few lines that are different from each other as the same lines are repeated so often.
      I am pleased that I downloaded this album. It is quite different to other musicians I like to listen to, but only because there are no other artists releasing music like this.
      I am finding myself choosing to listen to this album quite a lot at the minute as it is a nice change to listen to something so chilled out and relaxing. It is music to fall asleep to!
      I would definitely recommend this album or at least give one of Blake’s songs a listen. I think it would appeal to most people, if given the chance.
      You can currently view the Retrograde music video in full at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6PcFFUm5I

22.07.2014 23:04

Advantages

• Cheap
      • Lightweight
      • "Good size"
      • Reliable
      • Works

Disadvantages

• "Bit noisy at times"

Great rocker for happy babies and happy parents

This might not be for everyone but this really worked for us. We have a mamaroo which works great but it costs seven times more and is more suited to a car seat type ride.

The Hauck beats the mamaroo as it is not dependant on one seat style (you want your baby sleeping on a flat surface). The Hauck is basically a large flat plastic tray which you can place almost any baby pram/jumper/Moses basket on as long as it does not weight over 30kg combined. The tray moves from side to side (length wise) giving a horizontal rocking sensation.

If you can get you baby used to the Hauck through the day when they need rest they will sleep in the early mornings. For only £30 it has given me back my sleep which is a big big bonus especially if you are working the following day.

Pros: It works; great price; light; fits most prams/baby holders

Cons: Can be a bit noisy but not anymore than any other rocker product including the mamaroo; without taking it to bits cannot say how long the product (mechanics/engine) would last but would expect until the baby is ready for a larger bed/crib

Overall I have been very pleased with this product which has not only proved to be reliable and well built for the money, but also looks very nice, sturdy and not tacky which I have found can sometimes be a problem with products tailored to very small children. I am a satisfied customer and you will be too.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown