• Nikon Coolpix L330 / Digital Camera / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      05.05.2015 02:07

Advantages

• "Generally hardy"
      • "Low price for the build quality and Nikon lens"
      • "Pictures come out great"
      • "Great for beginners of 'proper' photography"

Disadvantages

• "Flash is quite temperamental"
      • "For a little more money there are better cameras"
      • "Not as versatile as more expensive cameras"

Nice entry level 'proper' camera, but for a little more money there's better Nikon devices

I'm moderately interested in photography of practically all kinds, always have been, and so I am quite interested in getting the kids involved with my hobby. On hillwalks and forest walks - where we often go on holiday - it helps to have a sturdy, robust camera that can be used at a moment's notice, to capture landscapes, funny moments or animals. Whilst phones practically fulfil this function perfectly nowadays, the L330 offers a camera that is nice both for casual snaps and more considered, more artful shots. Shots that require a little more thought than your standard Instagram picture!

I won't get into technicalities as those who know what some terminologies mean will know that this camera is ideal for entry level photography, and not much more. This doesn't make it a bad product in any way - it just makes it feel slightly limited when compared to Nikon models that are even a mere £50 more pricey. The Nikon L330 is very easy to operate: the kids were able to work out its rudimental fucntionalities after a few minutes of mucking around. Advanced settings can be played with, but at its core is a point-and-shoot camera.

The quality of the pictures the L330 produces is great, and the camera is well put together as you'd expect from Nikon. Accessories for the camera come fairly cheap as it is such a standard piece of kit, further adding to its suitability for teaching children the basics about photography. The seatbelt-like carry strap makes the camera very easy to use safely and very difficult to drop, and the large screen lends itself to sharing photos from the palm of your hands (as well as allowing details to be considered when framing pictures).

My only real complaints about the L330 is that its flash is a little bit inadequate. The fact it is a digital camera adds to the inadequacy, but often photos come out strange as a result of the flash being too bright or too dim. I think the (presumably electronic) problem may lie in the hinge mechanism the flash is attached to the camera by, but I'm not really very technically minded! This is a great 'first camera' though, which beats pretty much anything else at this price level in terms of quality and functionality.

05.05.2015 01:43

Advantages

• "Beats any other whitening product I have tried"
      • "Bottle doesn't waste the product"
      • "Great value considering the product works"
      • "Mild taste"
      • "Genuine results"

Disadvantages

• "Can irritate lips/mouth"
      • "Small bottle"
      • "A little pricey"
      • "Best used along with another toothpaste"

The best whitening toothpaste I've ever found, will use for many more years

For my work it is important to look presentable with a welcoming smile. Being a waiter involves being pleasant and working with the public so it's probably no surprise that I'd be interested in a product that whitens my teeth and enhances my smile. It makes the experience for customers that bit more special! So naturally I have experimented with a variety of toothpastes and whitening products (without wanting to spend money on expensive clinical services) and - as you might expect - the majority of them don't really work at all. Pearl Drops, however, is the answer to the classic whitening problem.

For around £2 for a 50ml bottle, the product is perhaps on the pricey side. But a little most definitely goes a long way: I use Pearl Drops in conjunction with any other budget toothpaste. One of the reasons for this is that Pearl Drops alone tastes mildly minty and so doesn't 'feel' as effective than when it is combined with a toothpaste with a bit of a body to its flavour. The fact that Pearl Drops are far more liquid than ordinary toothpaste means that it actually makes sense to combine the whitening paste with regular paste, but perhaps it's just a comfort I have myself!

The product certainly works, however. It practically works straight away. It can be quite nice, quite liberating, the confidence white teeth gives you - it makes Pearl Drops' slightly higher price (considering the amount you get) pretty justified. As a quick sidenote I want to mention that those with more sensitive mouths may want to use the product sparingly as I do, because there must be an ingredient in the paste that irritates and dries out the skin. This only happens to me intermittently, but it's worth pointing out for anyone who has a problem with toothpastes irritating their mouths.

• Colgate Toothpaste / Oral Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      05.05.2015 01:19

Advantages

• "Widely available"
      • "Great taste"
      • "Great value"

Disadvantages

• "Mint is strong so not necessarily good for kids"
      • "Teeth don't feel as clean compared with more expensive products"

More or less the quintessential budget toothpaste

Colgate toothpaste, the company's most basic toothpaste product line, is undoubtedly the best 'brand name' toothpaste at the low to mid price point. It's established and well recognised - and not without good reason. Colgate's a basic but effective oral hygiene product and comes in packs big enough to last the kids at least a month. It doesn't break the bank and it doesn't feel like a compromise for quality over cheap price.

Whilst not in the same ball park as more expensive Arm and Hammer or Oral-B products, Colgate excels in being a completely reliable 'core' product. I am certain the toothpaste has remained unchanged in the many years I've used it, and is so widely available in so many different iterations that you can take the product with you on holiday, on a camping trip, in a day-bag. I was over the moon to find that, during a night at a hotel in Manchester, the bathroom had miniature tubes of Colgate toothpaste: a nice little reminder of home, as odd as that may sound.

The white toothpaste keeps breath fresh for a couple of hours, and whilst this isn't a challenge to something like an Oral-B toothpaste it's the best at the low price. 'Value' toothpastes tend to be of gimmicky flavours, contain insufficient fluoride and taste like garbage. With Colgate it is a guarantee that it will taste right and work right practically every time.

Any qualms that I do have with the toothpaste are based on its suitability for younger kids. Toothpaste can be, surprisingly enough, an expensive necessity, so it is in a consumer's best interest to economise. The mint flavour of classic Colgate is quite strong, which may put off younger children, but for teenagers and adults alike it is a great taste that doesn't dry out the mouth or make food taste funny for hours afterwards. AquaFresh's 'Milk Teeth' line is ideal for children who can't yet handle the flavour of Colgate.

What's great about Colgate is that this product - its most basic toothpaste - is merely built on in Colgate's more expensive toothpastes, such as MaxWhite. There's true quality even at budget level, which is perfect.

• Barry's Tea Gold Blend / Tea / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      05.05.2015 00:43

Advantages

• "A taste of home away from home"
      • "Great taste"

Disadvantages

• "Avaliabilty in shops"

Definitely my cup of tea

This is the best tea in the WORLD. Living in England and craving a proper cup of tea from Ireland just like when you are there is hard to think about.. but once I saw these stocked in my local shop I was over the moon! Barry's tea has that distinctive taste for me that makes me remember back to when I was a young girl visiting my family in Ireland. It reminds me of happy times. Its one of those unique products that are comforting but feel like a 'treat' at the same time. Barry's Tea has a lovely taste and is definitely one of those 'homely' products. There is also excitement around the product when it is in my house... every one wants to try it especially because it isn't usually in England.
      Many of my English friends really do not understand the 'hype' over the tea for us Irish but if you are Irish you certainly understand it is more than just a 'cup of tea'. It has a meaning behind every cup and a great conversation maker... reminiscing all the times it was drank and what went on when it was drank while at 'home'.
      Enough about the feeling the tea itself creates.. Barry's tea is quite a strong tea and if drinking ensure you don't leave the bag in for too long, I tend to remove my bag after a few seconds and stirs to make sure it isn't too tangy tasting... if that is the word to use. Here in England they stock the red packet and the green packets. In my opinion I definitely prefer the red packets as I feel the green packet is more of a bitter morning tea.
      Overall I recommend you get yourself a Barry's tea bag and you wont be disappointed and you wont turn back!

05.05.2015 00:28

Advantages

• "Feels great"
      • "Clean Feel"

Disadvantages

• Burns
      • "Drys skin"

Brillant product with loads of pros but also slightest cons

I bought this product as I was looking for something that would really thoroughly clean my skin and remove all traces of dirt and makeup.. that is exactly what this product does! Every bit of my face felt clean and fresh and this product left my face feeling bright. My skin was also visibly brighter and shiny without being greasy. You can feel this product working and is not the best product for someone who doesn't like that 'burning' and cold feeling. One negative thing about this product however was that I felt it left my skin quite tight and left it prone to wrinkles. This is because I think of the pure strength and power of what the ingredients include. However, this is by far the best product I know for cleansing and keeping your skin spot free whilst also cleaning and clearing out your pores. I would rate this product 4 out of 5 because I think it is the best and most powerful skin cleanser on the market at the moment. I also enjoyed using it as I was fascinated at the amount of dirt it picked up when looking at the pad, which I never realised was on my face. The only reason I would vote this 4 out of 5 and not 5 out of 5 is because of the reason of it leaving my skin quite dry and tight. However, this could easily be resolved with a touch of moisturising cream after application of the cleanser.

04.05.2015 23:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Oh dear:((

I do go out of my way when possible to invest in fair trade products and in recent years the tastes and quality has been getting much better and its worth trying the brands out when possible.
      I threw these in my basket wanting not only to try but to promote these more in our household and as much as I tried to make these taste super nice they really were not nice at all. I HATE moaning about Fair trade products, but with so many out there now and everyone wanting your attention you have more choice, you do want to do the right thing but also get a good taste as well.

These were not so good in the fact the moment you opened them the amount of dust that flew out! I'm all for authenticity but that took it a bit far and then the smell actually gave you a scent of things to come.
      This was incredibly woody and dull in scent and when brewed it just couldn't take the milk well or the sugar. The color was strange, it was muddy in appearance and the 'dust' settled on the top to thickly.
      I applied two teabags in the hope of making this stronger but it became bitter. Oh the amount of ways of making this tea I tried! Even having this black didn't do it any favors.

This is not a fair trade product I could shout about. I sadly wouldn't recommend this in any way.

• Clipper Fairtrade Organic Assam Tea / Tea / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      04.05.2015 23:17

Advantages

• ORGANIC
      • FAIRTRADE

Disadvantages

Fair- trade and Fantastic

This is a gorgeous strong black Indian tea from the makers CLIPPER. I like the CLIPPER range but sometimes I find their teas can taste a little weaker even when you try to leave the teabag or leaf tea in the water longer! The problem that occurs when you do that is you cause the tea to turn bitter and the covering of film on the tea to stain more because of the higher tannin content. Yet this ASSAM taste they have down to a T [boom boom!]

[This is a tea that may also be known as IRISH TEA or BREAKFAST TEA]

This tea is very rich in color and the flavor follows that. It has a deep rusty color and when milk is added it can develop into a gorgeous dark orange color.
      I prefer mine without sugar, I did try it once with and for me it tampered to much with the taste.
      I think this is perfect with or without milk but I tend to drink mine without the milk and it gives you a lovely morning breakfast tea.
      The fair-trade aspect can always be hit and miss no matter how well meaning the projects are but the taste here is wonderful and buying this tea is a good investment in a good cause.

CLIPPER teas have a newish look but and the taste seems better, maybe just me? You can get these more online I feel then in-stores only big line supermarket may stock this.
      50 teabags and retailing on average at £2.55

• MUA Face Primer / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      04.05.2015 23:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

Waste of time!

I purchased this primer at my local superdrug store for £4, making it one of the cheapest products in its category available at the drugstore. Since I haven't tried many primers besides the Nivea daily essentials one, also from the drugstore, I decided to give this one a good old whirl and see if it was any better!

It was a little thicker than my Nivea primer, but the same in colour -white-
      The consistency of it felt a little weird, I understand primers feel watery, but the consistency of this felt a bit plasticy. What I also disliked about this product is the fact that it comes out of a tube. Whether it be moisturiser, foundation or any other product, I find tubes to be inconvenient as you can never put back any excess product, not can you get the last remnants of a product out. The first time I tried this out I ended up squeezing out a few teaspoons somehow, the nozzle seemed quite loose and the product came out as a blob with a watery solution around it. I binned the excess and applied the amount I needed and then finished the rest of my makeup (foundation, concealer, eyes etc..)

In all honesty, there is not a single damn difference I found by wearing this primer than not wearing it. My finished makeup looked no different and the staying power was not affected either. I gave it a few more tries though and yet found no difference. Back to Nivea for me!

• Clipper Dandelion / Tea / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      04.05.2015 22:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

Bland taste EXCELLENT health benefits

The taste may be a little less than desirable but when compared to the health benefits this is a fantastic tea that I, friends and family has seen and have always stocked up in our cupboards. I tend to prefer it to Green tea.

The health benefits to these things your Mum told you not to pick up because they were weeds not pretty yellow flowers or they would ruin the garden and she would spend every afternoon chopping them down in the garden. So imagine her shock when a couple of years ago I walked in with this tea to help cure an aliment [she hates popping pills, if she can cure it through herb treatment ] and imagine my shock when she liked it!

The health benefits are as always debatable but I and many others I have spoken to believe many of these work.

They include:
      VITAMIN A
      VITAMIN E
      FIBER
      IRON
      CALCIUM
      ZINC
      CONTAINS MORE VITAMINS THAN SPINACH!!!
      DETOX'S LIVER
      CLEARS OUT THE KIDNEYS
      DIGESTIVE AID
      REDUCE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
      LOWERS CHOLESTEROL
      REDUCES INFLAMMATION
      BUILDS UP YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM

I drink this on a regular basis and include it like that to see more of a benefit and it's over a period of maybe three months when talking to a friend I noticed the change in some thing s we were discussing, she thought I'd gone to the doctors but at the time I was drinking this a cup or two every day.

The taste isn't the most gorgeous taste, it can actually taste bland but I think it's worth it in the long run.

• Dragonfly Pu'er Tea / Tea / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      04.05.2015 22:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

A delicate taste

Pu-er [pronounced poo-air] tea is one that has a unique taste and with the DRAGONFLY brand this for me is just the same as the other brands of PU-ER I have tasted. They don't do anything different in my opinion yet DRAGONFLY are a wonderful tea company. They are a family run British tea company.
      There range and branding is absolutely stunning. There website is strangely calming as well!
      They name their teas and it's worth checking these out. This is part of their organic tea range and hasn't a special name as such, but with the name PU-ER maybe you don't need one:)

Grown in the province of YUNNAN this is a Chinese tea that they work with now and bring in a tea bag form to customers.

PU-ER is a delicate tea. It has a lovely subtle taste to it but if over brewed than it is quite possibly a tea you couldn't enjoy it as it becomes quite pungent maybe on the fishy side.

This contains many health benefits and the wealth of all studies are online as usual and I think its each to their own whether to take it as pure fact but they are:
      CHOLESTEROL LEVELS DOWN
      ANTI AGING
      ANTI-OXIDANT
      HELPS AID WEIGHT LOSS
      AIDS DIGESTION

I do like this tea but if I had a choice I would always opt for something more sweeter and enjoyable to drink.

This company sells a box of twenty teabags for £2 which is one of the best prices I've seen and this is a draw string teabag, impressive I know. x

• Witch Clear Pore Gel / Skin Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      04.05.2015 22:32

Advantages

• "doesn't cause any problems on my skin"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't work"

Nice to try but not for me

I bought a large bottle of the Witch pore minimising gel wash whilst in Asda in the vain (yes) hope it would shrink some of the pores I can see on my nose. I know pores only get worse the older you get but I blame my dad when I was young - he used to pin me down and try and squeeze the blackheads on my nose when I was a young teen, with me squirming underneath as it hurt. Eventually my mum stopped him and bought me some grainy stuff from the Body Shop to use but there began my lifelong obsession with the pores on my nose.

Tried everything!
      I own scrubs, strips, cleansers, gels, masks and now this gel wash. I'll really try anything in the quest. I do use make up which covers them up but I'd like my skin to look nice when it is free from enhancement too. I don't wear much make up on holiday so this is important to me.

In use
      I just rub this on my face then remove it with a flannel when I am in the bath. It doesn't foam up or do anything really but it has that familiar scent of witch hazel which is known for calming down skin and being kind on spots.

Does it work?
      I don't really have black heads any more now I'm older but I can see the marks on my nose that are pores, with one or two larger ones standing out and I absolutely hate them. I think that's why I am always slapping face creams on in the hope they will hide them a bit.

Youngsters?
      I suppose this range is aimed at younger people than me with its bright packaging and alluring promises. For me, it just didn't seem to do anything at all. It didn't remove make up. I wouldn't risk it on my eye area anyway but neither did it particularly cleanse my skin. I just now use it rather thickly layered on as a face mask while I read my book for ten minutes.

Price
      I paid £2.50 in Asda, thinking that was a good price at the time for the large bottle which is sized 200ml.

Final thoughts
      I like the pump dispenser but I think I'm just using it out of duty now rather than for its effects. I'm going to review some Korean products soon which I think are doing a better job than this gel. I wanted this at least to foam up when water is added but it doesn't really do that at all.

04.05.2015 22:23

Advantages

• "Reduces the appearance of wrinkles"

Natural reinforcement

I bought this L'Oreal Age Perfect Reinforcing eye cream from Boots for just £5.84 which is a great price as you will pay £6.48 at Superdrug and up to £10.66 from Amazon. I like L'Oreal products for my face and have bought a lot over the years and have always found them to be very good quality and quite effective. It comes in a white and gold box and the tub is only 15ml but you don't have to use much at a time so I would say that it will probably last me for about three months or so. It has a fresh clean smell which is slightly perfumed but nothing too overpowering.

For several years now I have noticed that my skin sometimes looks a bit tired and sagging around my eyes especially if I am tired or a bit stressed and I have been using eye creams since then. I don't use them every night as I tend to use a lot of other products so I don't like to apply too many in one go but I would say that I use this eye cream at least three times a week, however L'Oreal suggest that you use this cream twice a day.

As you get older and especially during the menopause your skin loses its oestrogen and as the skin around the eye area is thinner then elsewhere it is more noticeable that you will see wrinkles and sagging which makes you look older. This Age Perfect eye cream contains soya bean extract which is rich in peptides and is supposed to aid the natural production of your skins fibres which make up part of the elasticity which I suppose is where the reinforcement bit comes in.

To use I will dip a finger into the pot and take out a blob around the size of a pea which I find is sufficient for both eyes. I will dab it underneath each eye and then gently use my finger to rub it in taking it round to the sides of my eyes. It feels quite thick and creamy and it absorbs quickly and easily and my skin instantly feels smoother and softer. I have been using this cream now for about ten weeks and I can say that my skin does look smoother and slightly less wrinkly although it doesn't get rid of them completely.

I have been very pleased with the results of this cream especially for the price I paid and I will definitely buy it again when this one runs out. I do recommend it especially for women with more mature skin who need a bit of extra care around their eye area.

• Redbush Tea / Tea / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      04.05.2015 22:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

Excellent tea

When I started in working in retail I was blessed to work in a specialist tea and coffee store where most is not all teas were new to me. I didn't even know then about the different flavors or health benefits.

We had Green tea and taught all about the extraordinary benefits, then three years later we were summoned to head office to listen to an expert reveal a brand new tea RED BUSH.
      At the time I was drinking Green tea on a regular basis and fifteen years ago there wasn't as many flavors as there are now so when this new tea came to us that supposedly had MORE health benefits than the green tea I jump the good ship green tea and tried this new red bush tea which was SO much better tasting!

The health benefits list is long and getting longer by the day and I'm not completely sold on all of them but I drink this also was the lovely woody sweet flavor and it's calming effect.

The health benefits may include
      CURING HEADACHES
      ANTI INFLAMMATORY
      AIDS WEIGHT LOSS
      ANTI OXIDANTS
      BONE HEALTH

The list could go on but these ones above are the most common and consistent I still remember being taught all these by an eccentric tea expert!

These are available in leaf tea and tea bags and with added flavor if you chose. My preference is leaf tea as it tastes more pure and fresh and with no caffeine this is fantastic.
      The only small downside is the content ins tannin. This has a higher percentage than other teas so although you may receive health benefits your teeth may need an extra scrub! Still worth it long term I think.

These are reasonably priced even for leaf tea and its worth shopping around as these are now widely available. x

04.05.2015 21:19

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Poor shade range"

Wouldn't repurchase ever.

I purchased this concealer in superdrug a week or so ago,since it was relatively cheap, much like the rest of the Make up academy line and decided I would test it out the best I could, before writing this review for all kind folk at dooyoo. I did this by wearing this concealer under my eye for a week, testing it with and without setting powder, to see what the difference was. I didn't really like this product as much as I was hoping to, unfortunately, as the consitency was just too thin for me to cover anything so I did have to apply a few layers to get the coverage I wanted and this only made it look cakey. Because of this I wore a decent layer and didnt fuss over how light the coverage was. The staying power was rubbish without any setting power, but when I did use some I managed to get my eye makeup to last me a good 5-7 hours, which isnt bad when you've only paid 2 quid for a face product when some of the expensive brands can take you up to 20 pounds and still not be a great product. I really did not like the applicator though, the brush seemed to absorb most of the product and then be dry and crusty the next morning for me to use, so i had to keep washing it out. In my honest opinion, I wouldnt bother with this concealer and definitely do not reccommend it for anyone wanting a full or medium coverage. Its the worst on redness!

04.05.2015 21:00

Advantages

• Price

Disadvantages

• "Fragrance "
      • "Drying "

Cheap but not nice

I do not shop at Asda very often but every now and again I will pop in during my lunch break as there is a large store near to where I work. I often buy some of their own brand products and a while back I bought a massive (500ml) plastic bottle of their own brand hand wash for just under 60p. It wasn’t on a special offer, or anything like that, this is the price this hand wash always is.

I must admit that the bottle itself was rather too large for the side of the sink in my downstairs loo. IT was so massive it kept on toppling over and so I had to transfer the contents into one of my own soap dispensers so it stayed upright.

The soap itself is quite thick and gel like it its consistency though it does lathe rup really fast once it is mixed with a little water on the hands. I don’t like the fact that this soap is quite drying on my skin though and my daughter had a reaction to it after she had used it a few times too. So, although it is supposed to be fine for sensitive skin, I wouldn’t actually agree and say this was the case. I think that if your are prone to dry skin conditions that you should be careful if you use this one.

It has a strong masculine small to it which was slightly off putting but I didn’t go out and buy another one once this one was all used up. It’s cheap but to be honest I’d rater pay more and get something a little bit more special and something which likes my skin better.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown