• Lush Popcorn Lip Scrub / Lip Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.07.2014 13:47

Advantages

• "Nice smell"
      • Tasty

Popping lips

My lips are positively popping with smoothness!!

Lush is one of my absolute favourite stores and I could spend hours in there smelling all the weird and wonderful products they have on offer. I can never leave the store without purchasing something and one of my recent purchases was this delicious lip scrub, an absolute must if you want soft and lush looking lips.

This lip scrub promises to exfoliate away dry skin whilst restoring essential hydration for a smooth softened pout.

I love love love the packaging this lip scrub comes in and thats almost as fun as the actual product itself. The scrub comes in a little pot with a screw top lid so its easy to get in and out of and the scrub stays inside when you store it which is nice and doesn't leak. On the packaging it says, "Be a blockbuster success and have them queuing for the sequel. Coconut oil, sugar and a buttery, caramel taste."

The scrub itself is fairly thick, imagine big thick bits of salt in a scrub and that's what you've got. Its slightly moist too which I like as when I apply it to my lips they soak up the moisture whilst the salt really does scrub away at the dry skin. This is apparently due to the special effects of coconut oil and jojoba oil which helps to buff and prime the lips.

The scrub goes a long way so I literally just quickly dip my finger in it and then that's enough to use on all my lips. Afterwards my lips feel really soft and I find that then applying lip balm or lipstick is a lot nicer as my lips take to it more and it looks even and polished.

The smell is absolutely divine too, almost like eating a big box of salty, sweet popcorn! A 25g pot costs £5.50 and is a lip scrub I definitely recommend.

• Grown Ups/ Grown Ups 2 (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.07.2014 13:32

Advantages

• acting
      • funny

Disadvantages

SO FUNNY!!!

I think grown ups 1 and 2 are the funniest films I have ever seen. It literally mad me laugh out loud in a cinema room (which I have never done before). This film has a cast of 120 people who all have amazing acting skills. You should 10/10 buy this!

31.07.2014 13:29

Advantages

• great
      • "tastes fun"
      • colourful

Disadvantages

• "expensive to buy in UK"

My current breakfast right now!

I am not a cereal person that much, being an adult now I have grown out of the coco pops and shreddies stage of my life (unlike my siblings who enjoy feasting on curiously cinnamon and the like!) but one cereal that has a really soft spot in my heart is Lucky Charms! I first really got into them when I went to New York in 2010 and bought a few tubs for breakfast (as they were much cheaper out there than they are here) and fell in love! Since then, I buy it on the odd occasion on this side of the Atlantic as a treat as it is pretty pricey!

Lucky Charms are cereal that are made by the brand General Mills. They are frosted oat cereal with marshmallows, which get their fun name from the cereal pieces being in shapes of “lucky charms” e.g. blue moons and horseshoes etc. They come in a variety of sized boxes, which are always red, with a fun looking leprechaun on the front, which varies what he is doing, but on my box he is head deep into his bowl of cereal, with a big grin and luclky charms shooting up the top! You can also buy them in individual sized cereal tubs which carry the same branding.
      I purchased my 453g box from Tesco for £5 which is fairly reasonable, although at time of writing the same size box is available for £3.99 on amazon, with a minimum spend of £10 for free delivery.
      In terms of the cereal itself, as soon as you open the box you are greeted with vibrant coloured, multishaped and sweet smelling oat cereal and you just want to tuck in. They are definitely more a childrens cereal, but luckily my daughter doesn’t like them so I can have a bowl all to myself!

Taste wise I love lucky charms. I am not sure what it is though, I can only have the cereal with warm milk. I find that heating it up, and adding the cereal, the pieces become nice and soft, and enjoyable to eat. The oat pieces are rather sweet in themselves, and combined with the soft marshmallow charms, they blend together nicely and create a tastey, warming, sweet cereal that I can eat all day! Surprisingly, they are not overly sweet and the brand has actually got the balance just right. I’m not a fan of sickly sweet things, and this doesn’t give me a toothache if I eat it all the time, but I do have it in moderation still.
      I like that my bowl always looks colourful and it really manages to perk me up in the mornings. The cereal itself is very unpredictable, as I am always left with a colour of milk at the end but you never quite know what colour it will be! Today’s left over milk is green, and I always enjoy sipping at it with my spoon. I find it is a versatile dish, as I can have it sometimes as a late night snack and it satisfies a lot of my cravings. When in doubt what to eat, a bowl of lucky charms never goes amiss!

On the whole, this is a really fun cereal, its just a shame its so expensive. I rarely buy a box more than 3 or 4 times a year, and when I do I make it last. I currently have my box in my desk at work, and it has set up for the day this Monday morning! However, the sugar high may wear off soon, so I will probably need a red bull lol. I definitely recommend Lucky charms as a fun, tasty cereal which is enjoyable to eat, just not too often or we won’t have any teeth left!

31.07.2014 13:09

Advantages

• "Compact - drums easy to store"
      • "Easy to wash in dishwasher"
      • "Easy to remove/change from grating to dicing"
      • "No space restriction"

Disadvantages

• "Keep out of reach of children"
      • "Food can get stuck"

A slicing, dicing, grating food processor

I’ve had my Fresh Express Max food processor now for over a year and it does have its downsides but I really do feel I’ve saved so much time and effort with it. Basically the food processor has 5 separate attachments letting you switch between slicing, thin shredding, thick shredding, grating and dicing easily. The machine will only spin the drum blades when pressing the very large button on the machine so you shouldn’t make much mess or have any accidents.

Rather than a traditional food processor where you funnel things through the tube/blades into the plastic bowl, the fruit/veg etc on the Fresh Express Max is funnelled through the blades out into your chosen bowl or plate so there is no restriction on space. This makes prepping ingredients far quicker as you do not have to empty the bowl each time – just get another bowl and place it under the funnel for the next ingredient.

The funnel tube is small so a lot of food has to be cut up before hand e.g. potatoes and annoyingly when you get to the end of a carrot for example, you end up with an ungrated slice stuck between the plastic funnel and blades which can make the blade drum harder to remove. I find some veg like onions which are softer and break apart are also a bit harder to work through the machine but in general it does a really good job. You then just run your finger around the middle of the drum to get the excess off, remove the drum to get any caught on the outside and that’s it ready for cleaning.

In terms of cleaning it’s so incredibly easy if you have a dishwasher. All I have to do is remove the tube (just a twist to the side), remove the blade drum (again just a small twist), rinse everything to get the excess food out of it and place it in the dishwasher - the main machine doesn't touch any food. If you don’t have a dishwasher then it can be a bit of a nightmare – graters are probably my least favourite item to wash but as long as you rinse them straight away they are not too bad.

“…as the blades on the different attachments are not accessible there is no chance of hurting your fingers” (from Amazon) Now this I really do have to disagree with as when the drums are stacked and attached to the machine you are facing slicer blade (the green/white one). If anyone places their fingers into the centre of this, perhaps to pull the machine forward they are at a huge risk of slicing their fingers on the incredibly sharp blades inside so you must make sure you store the machine out of the reach of children.

The machine is compact, quick to use and very easy to clean. If you cook from scratch and need to prepare your ingredients this food processor is ideal.

• Warren Evans / Highstreet Shopping / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.07.2014 12:35

Advantages

Disadvantages

Fast, efficient, simple, beautiful....

Wonderful service from Mick and Khalid (Team A - or should that be the A Team!) today who brought my bed and set it up with no fuss and fast. It's beautiful. And the mattress (Grand) is a dream. I bought online, and was looked after every step of the way by Charlotte Povey, who made sure I had thought of everything crucial - size, access to flat, colour and gave friendly, helpful advice. I felt very looked after in the process. Warren Evans really deserves its reputation.

31.07.2014 12:05

Advantages

• "bass is a big plus"
      • loud
      • "sound great"

Disadvantages

• "leads a little too long"

Great sound and bass, quality head phones

I love headphones, I always have.I think they are much better than the standard earphones, but very few people agree. Many think that head phones are to bulky and are uncomfortable to wear, but to be honest, without he right pair for you there going to be!

The Skullcandy headphone range has always been my favorite. These fit on your head really well and are very comfortable to wear. They have a volume control button on the cord, which also allows you to change to song using it too. The headphones do go very loud, which is good if you just want to listen to the music whilst having the head phones on your neck, which i do quite often. These are available in lots of different colors, but mine are in green, which I thought was a really good color for a pair of headphones!!

The best music to listen to with these head phones has got to be drum and bass. the bass given out on these head phones is brilliant considering. usually, any head phones or even ear phones do not distort the bass properly but these truly are brilliant. I love listening to all kinds of music with them though, and even watching television on my laptop.

For anyone who is looking for a decent pair of head phones, without the trouble of buying several pairs to find the right one, take it from me, these are the best, and at less than £50 there cheap too!

31.07.2014 10:50

Advantages

• "Different queue for large group visits on entry"
      • "Longer opening times in July and August"
      • "Audio Guides"
      • "Roman Baths uncovered and intact"
      • "Computer reconstructions of the place"
      • "Archaeological Finds"

Disadvantages

• "Drinking the water "
      • "It can be difficult to get around when there is high volumes of tourists"

Overall great experience, interesting if you like History.

The Roman Baths is one of the best attractions in Bath city and is definitely worth a visit if you are interested in Roman History. The admission when I went was £13.50 and whether a person considers it to be expensive really does depend on their interest in the attraction. Though I wish I had done my research on admission times because I would have like to go for the later night opening time (This is only in July and August). I found the site fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the old roman baths. It's great to see all the old structure of the place uncovered and intact. It has computer imagery to show what different area's would have looked like.

There are audio guides that walk you through the Museum and discusses the different points of interest. There are different numbers for children and they are equiped with other languages. Its not one long commentary so you can select which bits you listen to and bits you may not be interested in. In the past I have been to museums where its one long guide and it becomes difficult to follow if you can't keep up with the pace or are too quick. I often loose where I am and then the information becomes confusing and irrelevant for where I am.

The Roman ideas of building the site of a natural spring and heating the baths is amazing for that point in time. When walking through the rooms and listening to what they were used for shows how these ideas have continued to go on in many modern spas today. Thank you Romans!! The only thing I didn't like and regretted pretty quickly was tasting the natural spring water. It is warm and tastes like metal, and the taste stays in the mouth. Luckily it was at the end of the museum so I could go to find a drink.

The attraction is centrally located and easy to find as it is close by to the all the shops and cafes. It's a large grand looking building which is very difficult to miss. Close to the Cathedral.

• Fahrenheit 451 (DVD) / DVD / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      31.07.2014 10:23

Advantages

• "Visually interesting and conceptually good"

Disadvantages

• "Emotionally distant and lacks engagement"

And it burns burns burn, the ring of fire...

Set in a dystopian future, "Fahrenheit 451" (1966) is the story of a society where books have become illegal as the emotions and ideas they instil can cause unwelcome anti-social turmoil that can become a danger to the establishment's desire to control its citizens. For this reason, the fire department has been reverted as an outfit to sniff out hidden libraries and then burning up their contents. Conformist fireman Guy Montag (Oskar Werner), however, ends up secretly snatching up one of the books he's supposed to destroy and, upon reading it, is instilled with a newfound sense of life and imagination he never knew existed before. Becoming obsessed with collecting whatever books he can, he now risks becoming an outlaw with his beliefs that books are actually important, the feelings they instil sparking a sense of life in him so dogmatically repressed by society, and that destroying them is the true act of evil purported by a totalitarian government bent on controlling its citizens through de-sensitized conditioning.

Based on the original novel of Ray Bradbury, this first (and only) English-language film of Francois Truffaut is perhaps somewhat overly cold in its demeanour and its central subject loses a bit of its punch due to the current state of book appreciation, but despite this the film's basic story of a government robbing people of their own right to free thought and expression is still a reasonably effective one. The performances from Oskar Werner and Julie Christie (playing a double role as a book disciple and Montag's frosty wife) are similarly muted, harnessed more to the film's subject matter than specific characterisation, further making this movie more of intellectual interest than emotional (ironically), but as such the film works as an interesting exercise in speculative science fiction. Intriguing, despite somewhat failing to instil the passion in its central conceit to root for the heroes' fight against their inhuman government or properly engaging the viewer with the characters' themselves. Features good set design by Syd Cain and a chilling music score by Bernard Herrmann, though. (c) berlioz 2014

• Pioneer DCS 222 / Home Cinema System / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      31.07.2014 09:25

Advantages

• "really loud"
      • "great for music"
      • reliable

Disadvantages

• none

brilliant home cinema kit, best £200 we have spent in a long time

We never really have been that good with anything tech wise, but we was told about different home cinema systems by one of our family friends who said how good the systems are. We have always enjoyed our lazy days in the house eating nice fod, drinking good wine and watching some great movies, but we wanted a little more than just our television to do this on.

Our friend came over and suggested this Pioneer set. I thought the price of this was brilliant, at only £200 i thought it was a bargain compared to some of the home cinema systems out there, i mean some of them go up to £2000! For the average man like me and you that amount of money is not just readily available!

We had our system delivered and set up for us, so we did not break it before we used it ( Knowing my luck i would have broken it too). The surround sound is my favorite, we always watch horror movies and this surround sound makes them so much better than they was before, it is actually like being at the cinema now and we love it!!

We never had surround sound before this, but it really is a pleasure to own, the best £200 i have spent in a long time! It works with music too, it makes every good song sound brilliant. The speakers go very very loud, which is not really a feature we use, but i can imagine people who like to listen to their music really loud to enjoy this.

Overall, i would suggest getting this product if you are looking for a decent home cinema kit. Buy some good wine, great food, lay back and enjoy the feeling of being at the cinema in the comfort of your own home!

• E45 Cream / Skin Care / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      31.07.2014 08:47

Advantages

• "Gives immediate relief from dryness"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't absorb well"
      • "Too greasy"

I think there are better

E45 is always the first thing that people seem to recommend if you mention that you have dry skin but I just don’t think it is as good as people make it out to be at least it isn’t for me.

It is a very thick cream which has been dermatologically tested to soothe a variety of dry skin conditions such as eczema, chapped and even just rough skin. It is a paraffin based moisturiser.

I just didn’t enjoy using this as I found that it was so thick and greasy that it was almost impossible for it to penetrate my skin and instead just sat on the top of my skin leaving a greasy layer which then just got rubbed off anyway by clothing.

It didn’t feel all that moisturising to me either. Anything this thick and greasy is going to give some hydration to dry skin but it didn’t just melt into my skin and take away the dryness. It sort of reminded me of Vaseline in that it would give immediate relief to dryness but it didn’t really sort out the underlying issue of it.

For me I found that there were much more effective creams out there and I preferred a rich moisturiser such as cocoa butter or a body butter from the Body Shop instead as I found that at least those actually soaked into my skin giving me not only relief but also helping to heal my skin whereas I didn’t feel that this was doing that.

Most people love this to perhaps it is just me but I wouldn’t bother using it again because although it gave me some immediate relief it didn’t combat the underlying dryness and I didn’t like the way it didn’t absorb into my skin and I found that there were much better products to use instead.

• Thor (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      31.07.2014 07:59

Advantages

• "Great story"
      • "Another great marvel film"

Disadvantages

• "none at all!"

Another Brilliant Marvel creation!

I have always enjoyed the works of Marvel, they are truly brilliant. All of Marvel creations have been made with passion and to a fine detail.

Thor is an excellent film, which is about the rise of Thor and his story.

The Plot:

Thor, god of thunder, is from a kingdom called Asgard, which is a place of greatness. He is Odin's son and next in line to be king of Asgard. Whilst being crowned king, the frost giants break into the weapons vault and try to steal the tesseract, which is a stone of unlimited power. They are stopped in there tracks, but Thor thinks they have destroyed their vow of peace. Betraying his father, Thor takes his friends to the city of the frost giants.

Odin banishes Thor to earth, taking away his powers and his hammer, to live in exile until he is worthy to posses his powers once more. Thor meets Jane, who is a scientist working on a project. Thor, betrayed by his brother, has to prove his worth whilst on Earth, but it is easier said than done.

This is a brilliant story of Thor's selflessness, which I think is a remarkable tale. It is different than most of the other Marvel films, which is why i think it is so good.

Thor also appears in the Avengers Assemble too, which he also plays a great part in that too. The film is worth a watch by everyone, especially those of you who enjoy the other Marvel films!

• Insidious 2 (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.07.2014 07:46

Advantages

• jumpy
      • "Scary film"
      • "from the makers of saw"
      • "Brilliant sequel"
      • "Entertaining film"

Disadvantages

• "Disappointing ending"
      • " it should be 18"
      • "classified as a 15"
      • " is bad"
      • " same as first one"
      • music

Brilliant film but a shame about the ending

Insidious two is a great follow on from the first which was released in 2010. I personally think that this film is much much better than the first one simply because it has more action! The film has only recently being released onto DVD, and can be bought for around ten pounds on the internet, but I am sure you could get it cheaper if you shopped around.

Overview of the film:

Insidious two shows us more from the world of the dead. At the end of the first one we find that Josh, who visited the spirit realm, did not come back into his own body. Instead the old woman stole his body instead, and killed his friend Elise.

Josh is trapped in the spirit world while the old woman stays with his family, but being dead in the world of the living has its floors, and Joshes body begins to decay.

We later find that the old woman, was not actually a woman at all, but was once a man, Parker, who used to murder women dressed as a woman. His mother, a crazed lunatic, made Parker dress as a woman when he was a child.

His wife soon discovers that it is not Josh that came back and tries to get help. Dalton, Joshes son, goes to the spirit world to find his farther and bring him back.

I do not want to give too much away, simply because the film is absolutely brilliant and is worth a watch at least once! You will enjoy this film, especially if you liked the first one because this is better! I do not however, agree with the classification of the film. It is a 15, but I think it should have been an 18. The film is very entertaining, and is full of suspense. Some parts of the film are very jumpy, which just adds to the excitement. I love films that make me jump, that's the reason I like horror films, to be scared!

The main downside to this film is simply the ending. Elise attempts to aid people who have died, but when speaking to a lady, sat on a chair who has died, she simply looks up and says "Oh my god" and looks terrified, but then it just ends! it is very very obvious that they are going to make a third film, but it could have had a better ending!!

Overall, this is a very well put together film, i really enjoyed watching this. For all horror fans, this is the next film that should be on your list!

• Insidious (DVD) / DVD / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.07.2014 07:08

Advantages

• " to an extent"
      • scary
      • "entertaining "
      • gripping

Disadvantages

• "not liked by critics"
      • "bad reviews"

Great film, but disputed

Insidious is a horror movie that has received mixed opinions really, some good points and some bad, but I think this is a good film!

James Wan directed this movie, which was released in 2010. It is roughly 102 minutes long and has a thrilling tale.

It is basically about a family who move into a new house, which soon turns horribly wrong. Two of the characters in the movie, Josh and his son Dalton, when they sleep at night visit another realm, which is where the dead go. It first starts with Josh, where as a child he begins to visit the other realm. Soon enough his parents start to notice a strange figure standing at the back of him in family photos, at first they think that it is a camera problem, but it soon becomes apparent that it is an old lady standing behind him.

It turns out that this old lady is a parasite, who wants joshes body so she can live again. His son Dalton also has the gift, and in the end is possessed by a demon and taken into the other realm. Elsie, who is also a spirit walker, attempts to aid the family.

The ending of the film carries a twist. After Josh visits the other realm to find his son, it is not him that returns, it is the old lady who has stolen Joshes body for her own!! Elise takes a photograph of Josh, to her horror sees the old lady in the photo. The old lady then kills Elise so no body will find out!

I love this film and think it is very entertaining. A lot of people find the film to be boring and follow suit from other films, but i do not find that this is the case, it is worth a watch by all horror viewers. After all, it is from the makers of the excellent movies Saw, so there doing something right!

• The Conjuring (DVD) / DVD / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.07.2014 05:11

Advantages

• "based on real events"
      • "Truly chilling tale"

Disadvantages

• none

Not your typical Ghost film, not for the faint hearted!

This is THE scariest film i have ever seen, yet it is the most interesting. The Conjuring was released around august last year. We initially visited the cinema to watch this film where both me and my partner thought it was going to be another typical ghost story, but we were very wrong.

The plot of the film is very interesting. Ed and Lorraine Warren, a Demonologist and a clairvoyant, visit a families home who are been tormented by a spirit. Ed and Lorraine are real people who actually did the job which is shown in the film, which makes it so chilling.

The Perron family make contact with Ed and Lorraine, when they are giving a lecture about what they do. They visit the home and are quickly told that the spirit that is haunting them is so hateful, and Lorraine is worried about the spirit.

As the film progresses, the spirit becomes more and more active, the clocks stop at 3.15am each morning. The children wake up to the smell of rotting meat, which is typical for ghost films, but one of the children sees a figure standing behind the door. When her sister walks up to do the door and tells her there is nothing there, the door quickly slams shut!

It turns out that a witch killed her child, swore her soul to the devil and hung herself from a tree in the garden. I will stop there, as i do not want to give all the film away, but they is a truly terrifying film. I have always been a horror fan, but this film actually made me jump in the cinema. Be aware, this is not for the faint hearted!! You have been warned! The DVD can be bought for around ten pounds on amazon.

The film interested me that much, that i actually did some research into it, it turns out the story is true for most of it, some bits have been put in to make the film more interesting, but most of the story is true. There is books called, House of Light, House of Darkness available in three volumes which are the best books i have ever read in this genre.

Unfortunately, Ed Warren has passed away, but Lorraine still lives in the family home where they keep objects that have been in hauntings, possessions and a whole manner of spooky things, including the famous Annabelle doll, which had an evil spirit attached to it..

For anyone who is looking for a scary film with a truly interesting tale, and based on true events, watch this film, you will not regret it!

• A Bug's Life (DVD) / DVD / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.07.2014 04:39

Advantages

• "entertaining "
      • funny
      • cheap
      • "Great for all ages"

Disadvantages

• none

Entertaining family film!

A Bugs life came out in 1995, which makes this film nearly ten years old, but is still one of the best children's film around.

I first saw this film in my early teens, and from then I have always, even now, find it entertaining and very funny. My favorite character has got to be the stick insect, a talking stick insect, that is some funny stuff even thinking about it!

the film is about an ant colony, who has been enslaved by grasshoppers, who make them gather them food each season. Flick, who is an inventor ant, sets off on a quest to find some warrior bugs to help them rid themselves of the grasshoppers, so they can have a better way of life.

Flick returns with a group of washed up circus bugs, who think they have been taken on to entertain, but flick wanted them to fight off the grasshoppers!

The warrior bugs and the ants build a bird, to try and scare the grasshoppers away from there home. This is a brilliant film with a great ending, which i wont give away just in case any of you have not seen this film yet.

I think that this film is suitable for all ages. It is entertaining and even adults will find the comedy in this film amusing. If you have not seen it yet i suggest giving it a try. This film can be picked up for around three pounds, which is very very cheap in my opinion, especially considering this a classic!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown