• Pantene Extra Hold Volumising Mousse / Hair Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.08.2014 15:48

Advantages

• "It wasnt too expensive"

Disadvantages

• "It doesn't add a lot of volume"

Not such a great mousse this one

I bought some Pantene Extra Hold Volumising Mousse as I was having an up-do and the hairdresser had suggested that I use this beforehand to keep the style in place and to give my hair more lift. I bought this can for only £1.29 from Home Bargains but to be honest it didn't do a great deal for my hair in terms of adding extra volume much at all.

I used this mousse on a fair few occasions and actually I have just over half of the bottle left now and I have treid using slightly more and slightly less but it doesn't really give me an more volume than I had before. It has quite a pleasant fragrance and it is off white in colour and the normal consistency, I would say, of your average hair mousse. It's important to wash your hands after using it as it can feel tacky though not in the hair, only on the hands.

On the plus side, at least this mousse does not make my hair feel sticky as I have found with some other mousse's have used but overall it is very disappointing and I cannot really recommend it. I will try another brand next time I go to buy mousse.

23.08.2014 15:27

Advantages

• "Most Zombie genre fans should enjoy"
      • "Helps to fill the "hungry gap" for TWD fans"

Disadvantages

• "You might find it confusing if not familiar with TWD"
      • "May be too graphic for some"

Excellent third book in the Walking Dead series

If you’re like me and are counting the days until The Walking Dead returns to our screens, in the meantime you may want to try the books connected to the series. These aren’t the comic books (which the series is based on), but a series of novels featuring the series’ best known characters.

This particular book, Fall of the Governor Part 1 is the third by R Kirkman and J Bonansinga and sees things getting out of control for the Governor, Phillip Blake in the settlement of Woodbury. For those that watch the TV series, you’ll know that he is a brutal and unhinged leader, and the book reflects this – the intensity of the depraved depths he plunges into is shocking as is his mental state.

There are slight differences between the books and the TV shows, for example the Governor is not quite exactly who the TV shows present him to be – can’t say any more without dropping a massive spoiler and also the encounters between the Governor and Rick et al aren’t exactly the same in the books as they are in the TV episodes. However, don’t let the slight differences put you off – to a Walking Dead fan it’s all food and we are hungry in the year long gaps between each series.

This book sees some pretty bad violence towards Rick and Michonne, exacted by the Governor as he thinks that their very existence threatens his control over Woodbury. Some of the torture scenes are extremely graphic so I wouldn’t recommend for those who haven’t read anything heavier than Harry Potter – I would say the tone and language in the book is about as explicit as Shaun Hutson. Without saying exactly how, Michonne manages to escape the Governor’s hold and a showdown occurs as a result. I won’t say the exact result of that showdown, but it doesn’t take much to work out that as this book is Part 1, then someone / something must remain alive in order to make it into Part 2.

I would say I enjoyed this book more than the previous two as there are more recognisable characters in it from the Walking Dead TV series. Fans should enjoy, but read in order for completeness, don’t start with this book. Five stars.

ISBN 978-0-330-54138-1
      RRP £7.99

• Sainsbury's Basics Crisps / Snacks / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      23.08.2014 14:56

Advantages

• "low in salt"
      • tasty

Disadvantages

• "not massively filling"
      • "a bit flimsy"

A very well priced bag of crisps

I live where I work for most of the week, and have to feed myself. As I’m not shopping to impress (do you realise how fussy kids are when we do the family shop at home?) I can get a lot of the basics range foods that my kids would, for reasons only known to them, turn their nose up at. Something I always have in as they’re cheap and plentiful are Sainsburys Basics Crisps.

For 75p, you get a large multipack bag containing 12 individual bags of ready slated crisps. The larger, outer bag is in Sainsbury’s distinctive orange and white packaging which most of their Basics range comes in. Each bag has 18g of crisps inside, which to be fair is about 7g less in weight, or crisps, than the average bag of Walkers. However, the price of these Basics range crisps beats branded crisps hands down I think, six and a quarter pence per bag!

Another thing about these crisps which some may see as a bad thing is they are a bit flimsy and not a very thick cut of potato. If I may replace that cloud with a silver lining, how many times have you had a mega thick crisp like a Roysters or one of those kettle jobbies cut into your gum when biting into it? It doesn’t happen with these crisps as they are a lot thinner and therefore break up in the mouth instead of cutting into my gums. Another plus point about the thinness of them is that they are brilliant for putting into butties – my favourite is ham and cheese with a bag of these crisps in there too. They crush well so that your filling doesn’t slide out of the gaps between the slices of bread that bigger, thicker crisps with a curve shape would make.

A big plus point for me is that they are surprisingly low in salt – each 18g bag has only 0.19g of salt in there, which is only 3% of an adult’s daily reference intake (the amount an average adult would consume daily). I’m not bothered about fat, I have a secret weapon against it. It’s called exercise. But for those who are, an 18g bag is 8% of an adult’s reference intake, so you do the maths while I do the crisps.

For those who aren’t “crisp snobs”, or who don’t have children who are, I strongly recommend these crisps if you just want a ready slated variety at a spectacularly low price. As they have kept the weight of the bags down in order to spread them out a bit further, I think I will knock a star off – even though it pains me to do this. It’s just that most of us are probably used to getting a few more crisps in the bag than the amount these contain and it took me a bit of getting used to. A very strong four stars though, thanks for reading.

• Heartburn (DVD) / DVD / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      23.08.2014 14:52

Advantages

• acting
      • "Good film"

Disadvantages

• "story was weak in parts"

The ultimate betrayal

The film

The film starts off at a wedding, where the first meeting of Rachel and Mark happens. As they both know the people getting married. But do not know each other until now. They then have a drink together and get to know each other a little bit better. And they end up getting together as a couple.
      When they first met they both agree they would never get married. But then it skips to their wedding, Rachel is having doubts about whether she should marry him or not, but people keep coming to here and telling her how different she has been compared to his other girlfriends he has had, and she goes through with the wedding.

They buy a house together, and Rachel thinks when she is pregnant and they have a daughter together they will live happily ever after. But when she is pregnant with their second child, things start to go wrong, and she finds out that he is having an affair. They spilt up for a while while other things happened during the film, but then he begs her for a second chance and they give it another go. There is more bits to this film, it is not just about them splitting up and getting back together, but I am trying not to say too much and spoil the film, so just watch it to find out.

The acting

I think that this is such a good cast of characters to have, they all played their parts brilliantly. It was Meryl and Jack who had the main roles, and they were so great to see working together. I have always been a fan of Jack. I think he is such a great actor, and this film was no different he played such a great part in this film, for me he was by far the best in this film, and it was his acting that made the film better than what it was.

My opinion
      I will say that the storyline was not the best ever, but I did think the acting through the film made it seem better than it really was. I would have thought I would get bored through the film, but I never really got bored through the film, I just really enjoyed watching it, and I did find myself wondering what will happen next. I would recommend this for at least a watch, I am sure you will enjoy it. Although it is not one I would watch again, but I still enjoyed it.

I will say that the film does go on for quite a while, and some parts I found myself thinking that the scene did not need to be there, but I did not think it ruined the film at all.

23.08.2014 14:19

Advantages

• " not too harsh like some mint and citrus products are"
      • "Mild effect"

Disadvantages

• "Can be expensive if not on offer"

A very pleasing shower gel to use, smells great too

There are some things which men shouldn't reveal in public forums. One of those is that I regularly use my wife’s shower products, and as a result I’ve discovered that I love the smell of coconut. As I work and live away, I often by my own showergels to use solely when I’m away – a recent trip to Sainsburys had me find various flavours of Radox showergels on offer so I bought the coconut kiss along with another two varieties.

In the same way that Yankee candles are, it smells good enough to eat. It’s not the greatest of ways to start the day in the shower though, it doesn’t give you that slap in the face that certain citrus or mint flavoured showergels do. However, (I’m about to reveal something else here that perhaps should remain unsaid) it is a very sensual smell and I can’t help having a quick sniff of my arm throughout the day of the sweet coconut, so long as no one is looking. I would say that the sweetness and smell is similar to coconut icing, but far better for my teeth as I also use (without her knowledge) my wife’s toothpaste instead of showergel for brushing my gnashers with.

It lathers up really well and feels very silky when rubbed into the skin, in the same way that my wife’s bubble baths do when I use those as showergels too. Shush, don’t tell her. I’m guessing the silkiness might come from the milk which it also contains, it’s not just a showergel containing coconut extract.

For one pound a bottle, I thought this was a little bit of Harrods style luxury at Aldi prices. I’ve seen it in other shops for upto two pounds a bottle, so I’d recommend only getting it when it’s on offer at half the price. I keep mine at work, there’s no way I’d take it home as my wife would use it all up. The cheek of it. Five stars.

23.08.2014 13:42

Advantages

• Everything!

Disadvantages

• "None at all!"

The very lazy way of adding flavour to food!

The one thing that I use a lot of when I'm cooking is garlic. I tend to cook up a lot of spicy , Foreign sort of foods as that's what I like what I like to eat the best!

I do buy fresh garlic but with an arthritis I do try to make things as easy as I can when preparing food so when I spotted this garlic already chopped up and ready to use in my local Aldi store for just 99p I simply couldn't resist buying it!

The Packaging;

The garlic comes in a square, glass, see-through jar with a black screw on/off lid to the top of it and on the front label which is black and purple in colour we are told that what it is and that it is stored in White Wine Vinegar and then on the back of the label the ingredients and allergy advice is given and contact details for the English Provender Company are listed (the manufacturer of this product) and then if you peel back that label other information is listed such as being told a little bit about the product, directions for use are given as well as nutritional information. Nice looking, robust and informative jar this is.

Using It:

Well what you get is lots of finely chopped raw garlic which is golden in colour in lots of the white wine vinegar. When you undo the lid you get a pungent whiff of very strong garlic which does smell quite strongly of vinegar.

To use this the directions tell us that one teaspoon equates to one clove of raw garlic. You don't need to peel, chop, crush or anything its simply ready to use.

You use this as the same way as which you would use any garlic so me, I usually find myself frying off a little of this before adding other ingredients to it such as vegetable and/or meat. I use it in curries, stir fries and even in marinades with other bits and bobs.

Conclusion:

This is a very easy way of adding garlic to food and economical too. The white wine vinegar evaporates so your left with the full flavour of garlic and me, well I am certainly converted cos anything that makes my life easier is very well received in my home and whats more, once that its opened it lasts a whole 12 weeks and stores easily in my fridge (as advised) as it isn't a huge jar!

Great stuff and this is a product I am really happy that I found and will purchase time and time again in the future!

This review is also posted on Ciao under this same username.

23.08.2014 12:42

Advantages

• "A little goes a long way"
      • "Smells wonderful"
      • Effective

Disadvantages

• "None for me at all!"

Buffing up my skin, salon stylie!

When it comes to The Sanctuary Bath & Body products I am a fan of them. I love the scent and how kind they seem to be to my sensitive skin and along with Lush and Soap & Glory I deem them to be treats when I have a little bit of extra cash!

This would have cost me 5.50 in Boots however at the time I purchased this I caught it on offer (more often than not this range is!) and I bought this in with a 3 for 2 item deal.

The Packaging:

The scrub comes in a squeezy slightly frosted white tube with a screw on/off orange cap to the bottom of the tube concealing a small hole and on the front of it we are told what it is and who it is by and that it is 'A natural scrub that's so gentle you can use it every day to leave to leave skin cleansed, radiant & refined' and the size is stated which is 200ml (there is a 50ml size in this available too) and then on the back of the tube other information listed includes being told a bit about the product and how to use it , the ingredients are stated and contact details for the manufacturer are given. Its a nice looking, robust, informative tube this one and appears very unisex in its appearance.

The Scrub:

The scrub is orange in colour and gel like though not too runny...it is simple enough to squeeze out of the tube with no issues at all. The gel contains natural little pieces of pumice which of course are meant to buff up your skin.

I always wash myself before using this to make sure I am clean (I use the matching products from this range to do this with) and use this after so I know that I'm nicely clean!

This smells wonderfully Oriental with the scent of patchouli and a soft and juicy top note of oranges...it is really is lovely this one and not too heavy though I do think this is a product aimed at women.

When I apply it the skin the scent is released beautifully, the gel feels soothing and very moisturising though not greasy, I get a small amount of lather from it so I can see where I have been and the pumice, though I can feel it buffing off my skin doesn't feel scratchy or uncomfortable to use at all. I make sure I buff up all of my body and then rinse it off which is simple and straightforward to do and I am left with smooth, supple skin. Its a brilliant, easy to use every-day product and I have found since using it regularly that my skin is smoother, brighter and prone to less blemishes!

I highly recommend this product! Available from Boots.

This review is also posted on Ciao under this same username.

• Optoma HD131X / Projector / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      23.08.2014 12:36

Advantages

• "Easy set up"
      • "Great value for money"
      • Quiet
      • "Excellent picture quality"

Disadvantages

• "No lens cap for transportation"
      • "Would have been great in white"

Watching TV just isn't the same after you have experienced films using this!

We did some extensive research when converting our garage into a play room. We wanted a top rate visual set up and weighed up the benefits of a larger TV or a projector set up. We opted for a cinema style environment with this projector suspended from the ceiling and a retracting screen.

We are really pleased with the results and certainly made the right decision, the overall effect blows any TV out of the water especially when you compare how much TV you would get for this amount of money. This projector represents great value for money, you could easily spend double this amount without much extra gain on features. I can see more people wanting to switch to this type of set up, it's affordable with great results-we manage to effectively produce an 84 inch image. We use the system predominantly for films but my husband does enjoy football and the odd playstation game on there too! With a white projector screen you can not fault the picture quality, it is crystal clear. We were expecting poor colour quality and lack of picture definition but the images this projector generates is on par with any TV in our house. The projector can work as a free standing unit to be transported or it can be suspended and fixed. Both have their own benefits but for us we don't wish to transport it, our set up is fixed meaning we get the same repeatable picture results every time. There is a good range of inputs making it suitable for all types of media including Sky, Playstation, laptop etc. the set up was very straight forward-simply plug in and switch on and follow the step by step instructions.

Just a couple of slight niggles, the projector itself isn't the most sleek and compact but I guess the performance is more important than the look. On this matter also it would have been nice if there was an option for this to come in white, we have it attached to our ceiling and would look less conspicuous in white. There isn't a lens cap either so if you were transporting this around you would need to take care. My advice would also be to take care and invest research into the accompanying system that the projector is a part of. This is one item in the set up so a good quality screen and sound system are essential to have the overall desired effect.

In summary if you are considering installing a cinema system, go for it! It is great for all the family and 3 of my friends have since invested in the equipment after seeing our setup.

• Gone - James Patterson / Fiction Book / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      23.08.2014 11:53

Advantages

• "Quick to read"
      • "Latest installment in the Bennett series"

Disadvantages

• "Characters lack depth"
      • "Unconvincing storyline"
      • Far-fetched

Not the best book in the Michael Bennett series.

I’m a huge fan of James Patterson and have read most of his adult books (he also writes for children). Because he works with co-authors, he is able to churn out a huge number of books – standalone thrillers and a number of series. Alex Cross is his most established series – 19 in the series plus a couple of standalone novels. The Bennett series is catching up – 6 books to date and another one due to be released this autumn.

~~~ Detective Michael Bennett ~~~
      Michael Bennett is an Irish American detective with the NYPD. What makes Bennett different is that he has 10 (yes 10) adopted children. I am not sure how a policeman can support such a large family but seemingly he can! In the first of the series, his wife is dying of cancer. After her death Mary Catherine arrives from Ireland to step in as the nanny. Bennett’s grandfather, Father Seamus, is also there to lend a hand.

~~~ Gone ~~~
      By the 6th book, the whole Bennett family are in a witness protection scheme and are hidden away in a remote Californian farm. In the previous novel, Bennett managed to put Perrine, a ruthless gang leader, behind bars. However Perrine escaped and is now out for revenge. Because Bennett knows Perrine so well, he is put back on the case leaving Mary Catherine and Father Seamus to stay with the kids, the eldest of whom are getting increasingly frustrated by their time in hiding.

~~~ Recommended? ~~~
      Not really.

Overall, this isn’t the best Patterson book. The storyline is just too far-fetched and the basic premise of Bennett as a single dad trying to bring up a family of 10 just doesn’t ring true. There isn’t very much depth to any of the characters and Mary is just too perfect. When does the woman ever sleep?

I’m sure I will read the next book (Burn) when it comes out just to see whether do eventually get together. It won’t take long. These books are quick to read – lots of short chapters and although there are twists in the plots it’s usually not that difficult to follow the plot. More often than not you can see what’s coming.

If you’ve read the other books in the series, you may want to read this but you’re not going to miss anything of you skip this one. At the end of the book, things are pretty much as they were at the beginning – the relationship between Bennett and his nanny is unresolved, Bennett still has to balance his busy job as a NYPD detective with raising his ten children and Father Seamus is still hovering in the background providing spiritual comfort and moral support.

Sorry, Patterson, this one only gets 3 out of 5.

~~~
      Amazon: Paperback £3.85, hardback £9, kindle £3.49.

23.08.2014 11:28

Advantages

• "detangles with ease"

Disadvantages

• -

Teezing Out Tangles

The main concept to this is that if you suffer from hair that is tangled, this product will help you right away as it has taken the beauty world by storm being so popular and has really taken off. Now, it is not painful to use and detangles on both wet and dry hair and aims to make hair in a much healthier condition in time by detangling it and not leaving it looking as frizzy. I have thick hair but it can be tangled sometimes and brushes make it uncomfortable and painful taking them through tangles. This invention aims to stop all of this and the inventor Shaun P worked in a posh London salon before he came up with this idea, so he does know what he is talking about.

The reason this brush untangles hair is that it has teeth which are different lengths, this formation is specifically designed and spaced out to help detangle. It sounds quite simple really the idea, Tangle Teezer can also be used on hair extensions and weaves too so it is fine for everyone to use this tool. I tend to use mine in the shower a lot but it can be annoying as it takes in water and gets it damp and it takes a few days for it to properly dry out. The results are good both dry or wet but I find in the shower when hair is wet before shampooing this detangles with no pain and makes my hair feel great right away, it brushed through hair just like a normal brush.

I was shocked at how easy it was to use, it is so easy to hold and glide through hair, I always clean this after use as the odd hairs get caught in the teeth but it isn't any big problem. The teeth do not bend and they keep their shape which is great but I wouldn't recommend using it with heat styling products or it will melt and damage the Tangle Teezer. There are some tougher knots which can be slightly painful to detangle but it does get the knot out so it makes me happy that I get the results in the end. I have long hair so it brushes down with ease but it works best on knotted hair.

I would definitely recommend Tangle Teezer to anyone who has tangled hair, it is a good tool and it does work easily. My hair does feel a lot softer without the knots and it reduces hair breakage and splits and any type of damage making hair much softer to touch. It is for anyone with moreso longer hair for the best results.

You can buy these on the official Tangle Teezer website of Boots sell it at £10.99, Amazon sell it for £7 it just depends if there is a certain colour you want as some shops only stock a few colours.

23.08.2014 11:08

Advantages

• "Has online"
      • "Good graphics for time"

Disadvantages

• "Not fun to play"
      • "Average storyline"
      • "Car controls aren't great"
      • "Too serious"

A total disaster by rockstar that has been used as a lesson for them

Gta 4 was met with great anticipation and excitement from all of gta's fans , it was a follow up of the ps2 games and this had "amazing" graphics so when i did buy it it was a major let down , it had lost its sense of fun and sense of being reckless and bizarre , Niko the character was boring and miserable , the missions were dreadful as they were very repeated and were very disappointing as they weren't even as good as the previous generation gta games let alone better. It gave me a sense of being extremely dull. Because of rockstars desperation to create an authentic and realistic world they ruined the game and the game just felt like a drag for example the car controls they felt like boat controls that is how hard It was and if you were going at a certain speed the car is virtually uncontrollable and if you were to turn you would 99 percent have a crash which is really annoying for missions were you have to drive really fast. Even though the graphics were great at time of release they have definately been left behind now especially from gta 5 which is in a completely different world and the only thing that still looks decent is the water , (which isn't that important). Also the main colours used in gta 4 for Niko and the world is grey , black and brown which it dosent take a genius to tell you that it is another feature that makes this game dull and I would go as far to say deppressing.on the whole not a great game and I could not reccomend this to anyone that hasn't already got it , I would say buy the newer version gta 5 as it blows this out of the water in every single way or if it is a little it expensive for you and you have a ps2 if you can deal with the graphics I would suggest San Andreas to you which is the most fun to play in the whole series

23.08.2014 02:07

Advantages

• "Helps keep hair looking bright"

Disadvantages

Helps keep blonde hair bright.

I am naturally fair but dye my hair a really light shade of blonde and to keep it looking bright and not brassy I like to use products specially made for blonde hair and that is why I started buying products from the Pro-Voke Touch of Silver range.

I bought this shampoo along with the Twice Weekly formula too. The Twice Weekly shampoo is correctly named as using it everyday can cause your hair to take on a violet like tone, but using this Daily Maintenance shampoo in between will keep your hair colour looking bright without it taking on any violet pigments.

This shampoo is a pale violet in colour and has a nice consistency, it's easy to work into the hair and lather up and rinses out with ease, after using it I notice my hair looks healthy and bright so I would say it works great for me.

I would recommend using this alongside the Twice Weekly one as I am sure that by using them together helps stop any brassiness coming to the hair.

The scent is clean and fresh but not fruity or floral, just clean smelling I suppose.

It is suitable for people with white, blonde or platinum coloured hair.

I find this really useful in the first few weeks of me colouring my hair as it ensures my blonde stays nice.

It can be bought in stores like Boots, Asda and even the lower priced places like Savers.

It comes in a large plastic bottle, with a flip top lid.

You only need a small amount so the bottle will last a good while, I wash my hair everyday and this lasts me around a month, so at £2 a bottle it's not a bad price.

23.08.2014 00:10

Advantages

• cheap
      • "really effective"

Disadvantages

• "menthol could irritate sensitive skin"

An excellent lip balm at a great price

Carmex Lip Balm contains ingredients such as menthol, camphor and beeswax to leave a tingling sensation, soothe and smooth lips that need a bit of tlc. It's priced at £2.69 for a 10g tube.

My thoughts
      I'm not a big fan of the packaging, it's very bright and garish, but that does make it easy to find in the bottom your bag. The applicator bit of the tube is a dome shape, which I don't find works very well to apply it to the lips, but I prefer to apply with my finger anyway as I feel this is more hygienic.

The texture of this balm is very thick, when you squeeze it out it comes out like a little worm the width of the hole because it's fairly solid. Despite it's thickness it smooths easily onto the lips and you don't need to use much at a time.
      It leaves a layer on the lips which feels protective, but it also feels like it's absorbing to nourish and hydrate the lips as well. It doesn't feel greasy or sticky which is important to me because I can't stand my lips feeling sticky.

The menthol in the balm gives a fresh, tingly sensation on the lips which I personally like, but it could be a problem for people with sensitive skin/lips so that's something to be wary of.
      I find this balm is really effective at keeping my lips soft, smooth and hydrated. I've used it when my lips have been really dry and chapped in the winter and it's brought them back to health in just a few days. I don't have to reapply it more too often as it keeps my lips feeling moisturised for a long time. The tube also lasts a long time and it works out as really good value for money.

Recommended?
      Absolutely! This is one of my favourite lip balms and I would recommend it to anyone, just be wary if you have sensitive skin.

23.08.2014 00:05

Advantages

• "Great scent"
      • "Looks clean"
      • "Adds Oomph to your hair"

Great stuff!

I have been a user of Batiste Dry Shampoo for years and it is something I buy quite regularly.

When I was scanning the shelf to buy some a while back this really stood and caught my eye as the can has a lovely design. It's really retro and patterned with a ditsy cherry print on a minty coloured background. I love all tings retro so this has been a regular purchase ever since.

Batiste is great to use if you are in rush in the morning and haven't got time to wash your hair before dashing out as a quick spray of this banishes oily roots and leaves hair feeling and looking clean and fresh, it's also great for when your hair is feeling a little flat and lifeless as this adds a nice boost of volume, making your hair easier to style.

I mainly use it for the second reason as I find my hair often falls flat no matter how much hair spray I use to keep it looking styled and nice! I spray this, holding the can slightly away from my head, and aim it at the roots, whist quickly moving my hair to reveal the underneath hair to get it there too, I then use my fingers to brush it through and style it however I want. It really helps, and my hair will hold a style much better with the added help of this.

All the dry shampoos do the same job and to be honest all smell quite familiar but this does have a sweet cherry hint that is really nice.

I hair blonde hair so don't notice any white residue on my hair but on dark hair it can be visible so I would recommend that you make sure it is properly worked into the hair before heading out.

It can be bought for around £2 a can.

I hope this helps, thanks for reading x

22.08.2014 22:49

Advantages

• "Unique concept"
      • "Very clever use of existing characters"
      • Interactive

Disadvantages

• "Don't loose any letters!"
      • "Bit fiddly "

Brilliant fun any time of the year!

We are already huge fans of the Jolly Postman so had to get the Christmas edition. Unfortunately I don't think there are regular print runs of this so we paid a premium price to have it near Christmas-worth every penny though. We gave it to my little boy on December 1st to kick off our Christmas preparations. His favourite book had always been the Jolly Postman so we knew he would love this.

The book doesn't disappoint. It is well written and beautifully illustrated by the same duo who created the classic. The concept rests around a jolly Postman who delivers post to some well known characters. Each page holds a charming rhyme and each character has a unique item of post that the reader can open and share. My little one gets so excited about opening the post, it doesn't matter how many times we read it he will always eagerly delve into each envelope to see what it holds. The letters themselves are very clever, perhaps some of this is wasted on smaller readers. I have had to explain the concepts behind some of the post to my son. The level of detail in each piece of post is lovely. Characters in this book include baby bear, miss riding hood, Humpty Dumpty, the Gingerbread boy, Mister Wolf and a visit to the main man himself Santa. The post takes on a Christmas feel complete with snow and rather than just letters or news the Jolly Postman delivers gifts. There is so much to take in on each page and with each item of post that you can read it over and over again and still enjoy it. The story isn't drawn out either, the perfect short story before bed time.

My only slight concern with this book is making sure that we are able to keep all of the items of post in their correct envelopes and in good condition. Over time I can imagine that the condition will deteriorate and without the post the book does become obsolete. This book has become one of our favourites however the unfortunate side of this is that my son will ask to read it on regular basis, like any book that you read over and over it does loose it's magic! I only wish that I could find more books that are as interactive and appealing to young readers as this one is!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown