• Bottle Green Elderflower Cordial / Soft Drink / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 09:04

Advantages

• "no artificial rubbish"
      • "clean taste"

Disadvantages

• expensive
      • "high in sugar"

something a bit different

This is something I don't buy very often due to it being a tad expensive at around £3 per 500 ml. Now if you follow the recommended dilution this will give you around 22 servings so perhaps not too bad after all.

The cordial is quite syrupy when poured into the glass and there is a floral scent of the elderflowers. This scent is much less noticeable after dilution. The taste is slightly sweet but nice and clean. The taste of the elder flowers comes through with no artificial flavours to get in its way. Elderflower is a very individual taste and is hard to describe naturally it is slightly floral with perhaps a citrusy edge to it. It is a bit of an acquired taste and probably more for adults than for children.

Mixing it with water makes a nice change to other squashes but also adding it to sparkling water or if celebrating a tiny amount into a glass of prosecco make a really nice change.

One major plus for me is that this product uses sugar to sweeten it and not those revolting artificial sweeteners in fact there are only four ingredients in the cordial. This may put some people off it but my view is that sugar is natural and as long as you don't over do it it is better for you.

One possible drawback is that it comes in a glass bottle which I know a lot of companies moved away from many years ago. The lid on my latest bottle I feel does not screw back on very well but my other bottles of it and others from the range have done.

• Kenco Millicano / Coffee / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 08:30

Advantages

• "it's coffee"

Disadvantages

• "odd taste"
      • expensive

you call this coffee?

I have a slightly longer version of this on ciao.

Now I have seen this on sale for a while and when I saw it on offer in my local co-op I decided to finally give it a go. The regular price is around the £4 mark for a 100g tin.

Please note this is my personal opinion of what this product tastes like - I know some will disagree as we all taste things differently.

The tin is fairly attractive and the ring pull foil closure under the re-sealable plastic lid does make getting into it and closing it again quite easy. On opening it the granules of instant coffee are visible but I cannot see any of the ‘finely ground beans’ they claim are in it. The smell of the granules is similar to that of a mid-price instant and is in no way reminiscent of actual ground coffee. Still I went ahead and made a cup. There was a thin foamy layer on the top which you do get with a barista made coffee but the real coffee smell just wasn’t there. It smelt like what it is – instant coffee which to me always has that slightly artificial undertone to it.

I do drink proper brewed coffee quite regularly and frankly this tasted nothing like the real coffee I buy now or have bought in the past. To me it tasted like it had been made from coffee bean sweepings – all the low quality rejected bit that don’t go into the real ground stuff. Yes it tasted different to a regular instant but not so much better that it justifies the cost when sold at full price. In fact I have tasted cheaper instants which are much better than this. If I didn’t know it was Kenco I would probably have put it down as a shops own brand and had I been served it in a restaurant as ‘filter coffee’ it would have been sent back.

It is reasonably strong in taste but it is not a taste I want to be all that strong. There was an underlying bitterness and perhaps a slightly burnt flavour to it. There was also perhaps a slightly chocolaty taste to it but it did not have the rich coffee taste I was expecting.

When I had finished my cup there was a small – a very small trace of very finely ground coffee dust as the bottom of my mug. Going by this the amount of ground beans in the whole tin would probably not amount to much more than a couple of tea spoons full.

I personally feel that this product is an example of marketing over substance. It is not better than many cheaper instants on sale and I won’t be buying it again whether it is on offer or not.

• Make Up Academy Lipstick / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.05.2015 05:38

Advantages

• "Lovely Colours"
      • "Fairly Good value"
      • "Good Price"

Disadvantages

• "Melts Easily"

Not the best, but not the worst

I have purchased lipsticks from Make-up Academy multiple times now, as I enjoy the colours a lot and they are only a pound. They are fairly easy to apply with a rather creamy constituency without the nasty smell that some cheaper make-up products carry. In addition to the main tube, there is also a balm at the bottom of the container - however this is rather hard to access as it's quite stiff, it's still a rather nifty addition.

They make rather good quality for hard times, and are especially neat for Christmas Stockings or other small gifts, maybe party bags. It comes in more bright and sparkly colours, and it's seemingly more aimed towards younger audiences however it is well pigmented for the price.

The biggest problem I've had with the product is that it's far more melt-able than most lipsticks that I use, even in the cold it falls apart quite easily in my bag. It's probably not something I would take on holiday to warm places with me for this reason. It also doesn't stay for too long, but much longer than most products in the same price-range.

All in all, it's definitely not my first pick however if I was in a place where I couldn't afford to spend so much on make-up, I'd probably find myself going for it. It's a fairly mediocre product and the price is really the best thing going for it. Who can resist a £1 lipstick? No one I know, at least.

29.05.2015 23:12

Advantages

• "Nice minty taste!"
      • "Keeps your breath smelling fresh!"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't whiten teeth as it states!"

Clean to the extreme!

I have always taken pride my teeth being clean. I visit my dentist every nine months as she says my teeth are very good for an almost thirty eight year old.
      I dread the dentist as I have a jaw disorder called 'TMJ' causing nerve pains in the face.

~The packaging~

Comes in a silver box and it tells us that it is Aquafresh extreme clean.
      There is the Aquafresh trade mark at the top of the box showing the red white and blue colours. Content of the paste is 100ml.

For further information regarding this product, visit their website: www.aquafresh.co.uk

This tooth paste has different colour stripes that are red white and blue; each having different uses within the paste.

I use just over a pea size amount on my tooth brush and it tastes of spear mint, leaves my mouth smelling fresh and clean for hours after use. I use this paste twice daily, both morning and night.

I purchased this at tesco and was on offer for the bargain price of 95p.

29.05.2015 22:30

Advantages

• "35 colours"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not great quality"

Try White Hot Love, Berries and Cream and Oragasm!

I've already reviewed Stargazer nail varnishes, which were the ones I liked as a teenager due to the wide range of colours, from brights to unusual colours to metallics. But now I'm a bit older and in uni sometimes at interviews etc I feel like I can't really wear crazy colours anymore. I feel like I'm growing up! But when I want a more mature look to my nails, I go for these Rimmel ones, as they're around the same price as the Stargazer ones (thoguh usually stocked at different shops...) and still have a wide range of more neutral, pretty, feminine colours.

This nail varnishes big gimmick is drying in 60 seconds, and I actually find that for once this is true, but it isn't great sometimes when it dries a bit too quick and gets kind of random lumps in it... But that's the price you pay, I guess.

I usually do 2-3 coats and then a topcoat of clear varnish over them as I don't paint my nails that often (maybe 1 or 2 times a month). These kind of have chips in sometimes, which is disappointing, but overall, they do not. So I am a very happy chappy in that regard.

There are a lot of people who pay more than a five pound note for nail polishes... I am not one of those people, and though Rimmel varnishes have drawbacks, such as not a greater range as they could have (crazy colours etc) and sometimes chips or flake, they are good for the price and I will continue buying them.

• Stargazer Nail Polish / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.05.2015 22:22

Advantages

• "Good colours"

Disadvantages

• "Cheaply made"

Sparkle and shimmer... to a point

I've used these nail varnishes for it feels like forever. When I was younger these were the only kind stocked in a shop I liked. So I have used them for many years and tried out a lot of the colours in the range.

*The GOOD part*

This might be a bit critical a review (from me, anyway, lol) but the one thing I really really like about Stargazer is the colour range they do. They have metallics, pastels, rainbow colours, every colour you can imagine (though I also think this depends where you shop or if you get them off the website and so on). I've tried a lot of colours in this range and I've found colours that compliment dresses or outfits or my general moods at the time. So that's a definite plus.

*The BAD part*

These are cheap. I don't mena in a good way. They are about £2-£3, depending on where you buy them, which is fair (I think) for a nail polish and I would never pay more than a fiver personally. But they are also cheaply made. I once used these for an art project when I was younger and I was really surprised how low quality these varnsihes were - thin, flaky, watery, etc. And I realised I'd known that for a long time and that's why I'd been using so many layers of vanish on my nails for years. This means they run out in more time, and so on. Just generally not good stuff.

A shame, as I really do like them, and they have some of my favourite, hard ro find colours in the range (metallic green!) but they are just a little bit cheap.

• Weleda Lemon Balm Shampoo / Weleda / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      29.05.2015 22:18

Advantages

• " the way it makes my hair look and feel "
      • Smell

Disadvantages

• "Slightly costly "

For a lovely lemon treat

I use a lot of products from Weleda and though they might be a little bit more expensive than other products, I usually find that they are worth the cost as they are good quality and they suit me. Weleda make a gorgeous shampoo with Lemon Balm and I bought mine online wit Amazon vouchers for £8.50. It sounds like a lot of money but actually it works out really cost effective, as you don’t need to use a lot of this shampoo.

Hubby told me he had problems in getting a decent lather with this but I actually found the opposite was true. It lathered well on my hair and the smell alone is enough to make you want to go out and buy more once this has all gone.

It has a lovely fresh citrus lemon smell to it and this smell lasts for ages on your hair long after it has been washed and dried and styled. I also use the accompanying conditioner. I have none of this particular shampoo left now as I waiting for more vouchers to treat myself to another bottle but one bottle lasts me around four months – and that is with very regular ruse.

My hair looks and feels so healthy and strong and shiny and full of volume whenever I use this shampoo. I really think that if you want to give your hair a lemony treat thane you should try this – you will not be disappointed - I promise you !

29.05.2015 22:12

Advantages

• "Save the world"
      • Cheap
      • Bright

Disadvantages

How many dooyooers does it take to write a lightbulb review?

Last term when I came home from uni my mum sent me out again almost straight away telling me we needed lightbulbs of all things. And she wanted those energy saving type ones. So I stumbled upon these ones.

Well, what is there to say about a lightbulb, really? It either works or it doesn't work. And these work. And you screw them in like a normal lightbulb. So that's it really. So why am I writing this review?

I guess I'm writing it just to say how impressed I am with the quuality and strength from these lightbulbs that are actually only 11watts but say on the box (or on the website or whatever...) that they are the same bightness as 55 watt lightbulbs. And you know, boxes and websites are a bit like politicians, you never know if they'll deliver on their promises... But these ones actually do. They're bright, save the earth, and they weren't that expensive either. Try not to buy them off amazon as they are really expensive there (£16 for 4) but these are available at any homestores or even a supermarket where we got them from (not knowing where else would have lightbulbs...evidently we didn't think of homebase/focus/b&q).

So yeah. If you have been thinking of going green or trying to save money on your electricity bill, don't turn away from these energy saving lightbulbs. They might even just surprise you! They surprised me, anyway. Then again maybe I am easily surprised :) Thanks for reading.

29.05.2015 22:11

Advantages

• " lasts ages"
      • "Good price"

Disadvantages

• "Dries my skin out a lot"

I can do without dry hands, thank you

I buy a lot of my hand washes from Home Bargains these days as they have such a wide choice available and also they are really well priced - much lower than the supermarkets are. The other month I needed a new bottle of hand wash and I opted for a 300ml bottle of Sanex hand wash which comes with one of those very handy pump dispensers. It was only 99p and so it was a bargain.

The packaging is fairly plain and simple and it comes housed in a slightly opaque plastic bottle so you can sort of see how much of the hand wash there is left inside as it gradually goes down.

The pump dispenser dispenses the right amount and I get a good lather. The smell is fresh and clean though it does not linger on the skin after it has been rinsed off. The problem with this hand wash for me personally, is that it left my hands feeling very dray and the longer I was using it, the worse I was finding it was becoming.

It got to the point where i hd to stop using it as it was actually making the tops of my hands very dry to the point that they were starting to crack and I had to use a heavy duty hand cream after I washed with this particular hand wash. Non one else in my family suffered the same as me, so I don't know if it might have been something else I had been suing at the same time as I was suing this hand wash and it was purely coincidental.

On the whole, it was cheap but I won't be buying it again because of the reaction i got from it.

29.05.2015 22:05

Advantages

• "Good quality"
      • Cheap

My scratching post!

So who needs an excuse to have nice looking nails, right? The past few months mine haven't looked so good, due to a combination of stress, neglect and abuse. SO I made a pact with myself to try and improve the way they were looking as several people began commenting on how worn they were. This included buying an emery board, which was something i'd never owned before *gasp*

These emery boards are just lollipop sticks with sandpaper type mateiral on them... Nothing special really... so I wasn't going to pay a lot of money for them, at least that's what I told myself... I didn't need anything colourful or fancy or made of diamond dust or whatever (lol) so these ones really do fit the bill. They are basic.

I got these for (I think) 80p.There are about 10 in a pack, and this is more than I needed (or so I thought at the time). However these things have a habit of getting lost in my dorm room/handbag/wherever so I actually only have 5 surviving ones (that I know about anyway). They are described as long lasting... well they aren't long lasting in that way anyway... bbut they are long lasting as in they keep filing your nails well and don't seem to lose the scratchy coatting of whatever it is on them. So on that basis alone they are well worth the money.

Do they shape and smooth my nails well? Well yes they do, perfectly actually. I can't imagine why anyone would pay any more for them.

• Avon Kohl Eyeliner / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.05.2015 21:53

Advantages

• Soft
      • "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• Price?

Drawing on my face in the morning!

So... As I said in my other eyeliner review, I tend to wear eyeliner every day, and this is definitely my so-called "everyday eyeliner". A friend's mum is an Avon lady and I always buy through her. I'm not sure if you can buy through a website or whoever though if you don't know an Avon rep.

For some reason this eyeliner pencil worked out as more expensive than the liquid eyeliner (also bought through Avon). I'm not sure how but this pencil is £6. I went ahead and bought it at that price, but really, this is a very average eyeliner pencil. I'm not really sure if it's worth that amount, but the price compared to some others is fairly reasonable though.

This is simply a kohl pencil, it's soft, you draw on your eyelids (or wherever) with it. I have even used it to define my eyebrows in a pinch. You have to sharpen it every so often. Don't use a normal pencil sharpener for this purpose, trust me. I get reasonably good control and long lasting wear from this eyeliner pencil, which is what I want. It gives a nice defined colour. As I wear eyeliner (almost) every day I find I get through these pencils at a rate of maybe 2 or 3 a year... Though I stop using them when they get to be about 3 or 4 inches long, so I've never actually used one up entirely. I've never really had a single problem with these eyeliner pencils so I am happy to recommend them.

29.05.2015 21:46

Advantages

• " perfect for all skins"
      • Light

Disadvantages

• "None for me "

A timeless classic

My mum used to use Oil of Ulay (as it was called back then) Beauty Fluid and I grew up watching her using it. I then went on to use it when I reached my teens. I am now in my thirties and I continue to use it, as this is really a timeless classic. It has to be one of the best moisturisers out there and I think the fact that it has stood the test of time for so long speaks volumes, really.

The last bottle of this I bought was from Home Bargains and it cost me just under five pounds. I do remember that the bottles used to be made of glass ages ago but now they are made of plastic – still pink, as it’s the fluid and it is just the same as it ever was. There has been no “improvements” made to this original moisturiser, I am pleased to say.

The cream itself is on the runny side, but not so much that it goes all over the place when it is applied to the skin. It is pale pink in colour, and has a smell that reminds me of my own mother – light and delicate and not heavily perfumed.

I use this liberally all over my face and neck and it sinks in like a dream. I also apply it to my lips and I find that tough it can taste a bit better, if I remember not to lick them for an hour or so, then this stuff really does help to heal them if they are dry and parched.

It is great when used under make up (foundation) and I have also used it as a light hand cream in the past. It is suitable for all skins and I really do love this stuff.

I will probably always use it and I really recommend it.

• Avon Liquid Eyeliner / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      29.05.2015 21:46

Advantages

• "Not claggy"
      • "Dries quick"
      • "Easy application"

Disadvantages

• "Not as dark as I was expecting"

Darkness please

I usually wear eyeliner every day unless I am not going out. And let me be clear here this is definitely a 'going out' eyeliner. I usually only wear liquid eyeliner if I want a certain look as it can be very bold (at least the way I wear it)...

This is from Avon, a friend's mum is an Avon lady and I bought through her. It's around £5 if my memory serves, as I bought this several months ago. As you can tell it lasts a long time.

The liquid eyeliner is black, it's not quite as opaque as I was expecting it, it's actually fairly subtle as these liquid eyeliners go. I've bought a few of these and they've tended to last upwards of 6 months because I so rarely use them. Maybe that's a sad indictment of my social life.

You apply these as usual, there is a small applicator and really this eyeliner is basically like a pen that you draw liquid eyeliner onto your eyelid (or wherever) with. I haven't really had any problems with this. It gives reasonable control, dries fairly quickly, isn't claggy, and is the colour I expected it to be, even if, as I said, it isn't as dark as I was expecting. I mean, I was expecting kind of like a black marker pen kind of line. And this just isn't like that. This doesn't bother me so much, I would give my eyes two coats if it did, so maybe not the best value if you did that, you'd use it twice as quick.

Overall, OK/nice quality, good value, and I am a happy customer.

29.05.2015 21:44

Advantages

• "lovely face plumping"

Disadvantages

• none

Lovely face moisturiser

This collagen based moisturiser from the Murad range is specifically designed to target the early signs of ageing. The claim of this product is that it will reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in two hours (not sure if you're supposed to wait inside the house until the magic begins!). It is classed as a fast acting and multi tasking formula which fights wrinkles and the skin's loss of resilience promoting healthy collagen and hydration levels.

How I got mine
      Whilst this product is expensive I must explain that I technically didn't pay for it. Whilst I didn't steal it, it came in a goody bag from the Regis website when you bought another product from the range. My tube is a stingy 5 ml size.

Price
      A 30 ml tube is £58.50 on the John Lewis website.

My thoughts
      This Murad rapid collagen infusion comes in a pump bottle tube and is nice and thin to use so ideal to wear under make up if you can bear to leave the house during that two hour window! I do think this is expensive for what you are getting but it is also clearly a very high quality face cream. I like the light nature of the cream, it sinks straight in without leaving any greasy residue. You are advised to apply this over freshly cleansed skin then add a moisturiser (step three) of course from the Murad range over the top. As I use a BB cream for make up that is moisturising too I skip this third step when using this product.

Would I buy it
      No I would not part with nearly £60 to buy this cream. It is good but not that good! I will look out for it if it ever goes on offer though as it is really nice.

29.05.2015 21:40

Advantages

• "luxury hand cream"

Disadvantages

• "smells too strong"

Hand cream heaven

I was a bit slow off the mark this month buying Marie Claire (not for the magazine lol) but for the freebie hand cream that came with it. A couple of friends persuaded me that I would not want to miss out on this deal even though I have a load of hand cream to use I decided I did want to try out this previously undiscovered brand.

Not much choice
      There were three fragrances available with the magazine but by the time I got in there there was only the geranium and orange choice left which I was happy to try.

First impressions
      This has nice enough packaging in a tube although the shop version looks a lot posher in its lovely blue bottle. I suppose it's practical to have it in a tube as you can easily bung it in your bag.

In use
      This is a lovely thick white cream and after a greasy moment it's sunk in which is great on the move. It is heavily scented though so best not to apply in confined spaces. I can tolerate the smell but would not enjoy it on a long cooped up car journey, it's too spicy for that.

My thoughts
      Top marks go to the consistency of this hand lotion. It's luxurious and a nice treatment. I can't say I am overly keen on the fragrance though, it's a little bit sickly and stays on your hands for ages after applying.

Price
      A 50 ml tube is ten pounds on e chemist which I think is quite a lot. These are better for travel but the pump bottle is better value at Ocado costing £12.50 for a 200ml pump dispenser. I could see that looking lovely in my downstairs loo...

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown