28.04.2015 12:53

Advantages

• "you can't help but notice it"

Disadvantages

• "some ladies may not like it!"
      • "a little strong"

A decent aroma but perhaps a little strong for some noses.

I have been given lynx body sprays as gifts as they appear to be 'typical man' type presents to give.
      I must admit I have found some of the lynx sprays quite similar, almost as though you can tell, whichever kind you happen to be wearing, that you are using the lynx brand.
      'Africa' is one of the more powerful of the lynx aromas, not quite as subtle as certain deodorants which I favour.
      If you wear this product when going out for the day, or evening, people will certainly notice, maybe not quite in the 'hi karate' after shave mold, you won't have battalions of beautiful women throwing themselves at your feet as you shop in your local supermarket, but they may be twitching up their noses and wondering if that certain lynx aroma belongs to you.

I actually prefer using these sprays on clothing, and lynx works well for this option, though on saying this you can, if you look closely, buy cheaper body sprays in the likes of home/bargain which smell almost the same, though your manly pride may not allow you to queue at the till where a pretty checkout girl is wondering how you could be so cheap as to buy deodorant for 69p.

I may one day have a selection of these lynx sprays and ask my wife to blindfold me to see if I can guess which one is which. If I manage to play this game I'm sure dooyoo will be the first to know about it!

28.04.2015 11:55

Advantages

• "Not much needed each time"
      • "Easy to apply"

Disadvantages

• "Almost flakes and peels"
      • "Not mattifying"
      • "Too thin consistency"

All in all, this has been very disappointing. Not a successful purchase.

SkinClear is a Boots own brand product. I found the range a little tricky to find in store amongst the other skin care brands, and it doesn’t really jump out at your either in terms of the packaging. It can also been found on their website. I picked up the products when the range was on offer. The Oil-Free Mattifying Lotion is sold in a 75ml plastic squeeze tube, with a white flip top lid that the tube stands on. There’s a sticker on the front and back, with the front sticker being a blue and white design. It’s reasonably easy to read, keeps things simple and to the point, and doesn’t make too many wild promises. It looks quite basic and understated, but I don’t mind as I like to think we’re saving a few pennies on fancy packaging.

We are told this is for ‘clearer confident skin’ and that the product is designed primarily to do three things: Reduce shine, leave an instant matte complexion and remove excess oil. The product was ‘formulated by Boots Skincare Experts to absorb excess oil’ with its ‘non-greasy formula’, leaving an ‘instant perfect matte finish to your face’.

The product is, unsurprisingly, nice and simple to use like most moisturisers. You just squeeze out a small blob and apply to your skin, avoiding contact with the eyes.

The first thing I noticed was that the lotion seemed quite thin. It didn’t take much of a squeeze of the tube for a load of the lotion to come out, with the consistency being far more liquefied than I had expected. There is a scent but it’s not too overwhelming, though there is something there that reminds me a tad of sun tan lotion, which isn’t so great. It’s smooth to apply to your face and neck and I like that it glides on & you don’t need much, but it’s too watered down for my liking.

The other annoyance is what happens once the lotion is actually on. I tend to apply a bit of concealer if I’m going out and usually do this straight after moisturising. A bit of the moisture from this seems to really help the concealer go on my face without caking or flaking. That’s not the case with this moisturiser. The lotion seems to flake off, not just the concealer. Even after giving it a little bit to absorb and not using too much on the application, the lotion still seems damp, and it practically starts to rub off. Very odd, and not something I can recall coming across with any other moisturiser. As for the anti-shine and mattifying promises - I’ve certainly not noticed my face look any more matte, possibly the opposite, and there’s been no improvement to the condition or appearance of my skin.

• Build a Bear / Highstreet Shopping / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      28.04.2015 11:50

Advantages

• " Loads of Accessories"
      • "Loads of Clothing"
      • "Fun For The Children"
      • "Lovely Bears"

Disadvantages

• "Very Expensive"

Lovely store but you need to take a lot of money with you

On the first look at build a bear its very inviting and especially for the children, every time we go to the shopping centre the children want to go into build a bear however I know as soon as we step through those doors we are not leaving without another bear to add to there collection!
      The shops themselves are generally quite large or the ones that I have been in are anyway, the only issues I have is it can get very expensive especially if you have more than one child, you can get a standard bear for around £8 which isnt that bad however they advertise all of the clothing and the accessories everywhere! and of course the kiddies want some clothes too for there bears and you dont escape without them.. a full outfit you can be looking at anything from £12 - £20! per bear!

PROS -

Lovely variety of bears and clothes, and the staff always seem friendly and wanting to help you, they are great with the children and are willing to answer any questions you might have, the parties are also a very good feature.

CONS -

The bears are expensive and so are the clothing, its not bad if you take your children out for a big treat

• B&M Stores / Department Store / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.04.2015 11:43

Advantages

• "Cheap Prices "
      • "Friendly Staff"
      • "Good Range Of Products"

amazing and cheap place!

I dont think I can say anything bad at the moment about the B & M Stores I have never had any problems with them at all... first things first...

of course they are cheap its why they are called the bargain shop, you can get a very wide range of things from haircare, housewares to pet care and of course your food, I have to admit I am terrible for going here though and because I have a store very close to my home I find myself going there either every day or every other day not good for the bank balance sometimes!

Its one of those shops that if you need something.. you can probably find it in here, I find there housewares to be very nice also, I have just bought a few bits from there for the childrens bedrooms a couple of canvas wardrobes and drawers and they were fantastic no problems what so ever and for the price I paid if they get broken I can easily replace them.

I have found so far that the staff also are very friendly, they are willing to help you out when they can and even go the extra mile to find things in the back room if they arent any on the shelves!

Overall I think its safe to say I LOVE this store and I would advise everyone to go and check it out I am sure that you wont be dissapointed at all

28.04.2015 11:37

Advantages

• "Cheap "

Disadvantages

• "No Smell To Them "
      • Thin

Great for cleaning surfaces not so much for the children

I have tried so many different varieties of baby wipes on my children and some I have to be careful with as they irratated my sons skin.. I thought I would give these a go and see if they were any good as we were going through loads of wipes with my son being disabled.

At a first glance they dont excactly look great but who cares? its a pack of wipes, the feel of them however they are very very thin and sometimes some packets can feel a little dry not all of them though so its kind of hit and miss with these.

The plus point was they didnt cause any problems with my son, and I can quite easily use them for him without no rash or anything, the only problem I find with them is you use a lot more of these wipes than you would with huggies or pampers as they are not as moist and also too thin.

I have now gone back to another brand of wipes but I do still buy these and that is mainly for cleaning up the tables, sides etc.. I dont use them on the children anymore as I find it works out costing more in the long run

if you havent tried them I would suggest you give them a go and if they are no good for your children then they make a great cleaning cloth

28.04.2015 11:32

Advantages

• "lovely place for a picnic "
      • "nice gift shop"
      • "kids love it"

Disadvantages

• "doesnt take long to go around"
      • "gets so busy"

lovely day out just very busy on peak times

I have been to tropical world a few times with the children but we in the easter holidays again after it had been renovated, the main issue with that was how busy it was we had to que for over 20 minuites with four children and it wasnt ideal, especially when the entrance goes through the gift shop so all the children in the gift shop is never easy.

The park outside its self is beautiful and there is plenty of places for you to have a picnic, play football etc and the children burnt off loads of energy running around and doing there own thing you can easily spend a full day there if you are taking things to do outside.

We had a lovely time looking at all the animals the only issue was how busy it was, which meant you felt a little rushed around the place as people were queing up behind you all of the way around, there is a wide range of animals some of them of course you are unable to see as they dont seem to come out and there was a few empty cages the children especially loved the meerkats and there little babies.

After walking around we went to the gift shop which can work out very expensive but they do have a nice range of smaller, less expensive toys which children are more than happy with too.

The staff are friendly, and seem to answer any questions you have.. over all I would recommned you going to visit if you havent already its a nice day out and if you dont like it then the kids WILL

28.04.2015 11:22

Advantages

• "Clean and well maintained"
      • "Excellent Location"
      • "Good Value"

Disadvantages

• "Not enough towels"
      • "Small room"

A Compact Room for a Last Minute Stay

I was looking for a cheap, central hotel to avoid rail disruptions at Easter. I didn't start looking until Thursday night, for Sunday, so there wasn't a huge choice. The best deals were for the Travelodge chain. I booked the Waterloo Central branch for £77, via their own website and my credit card held the booking. The process was quick and simple. This particular branch has a bar-café so offered breakfast (including hot food) for an additional £7.95 per person. It also offered meals in the evening such as lasagne, burgers and pizza and seemed reasonably priced, with various deals and promotions.

The hotel is on Waterloo Road about 1/2 mile from Waterloo station. There are lots of small supermarkets on the way for supplies. The hotel is close to London Eye, Southbank and the Old Vic Theatre. Covent Garden and the West End shops would be about 2-3 miles away, or just a few tube stops.

Upon arrival I gave my name to the receptionist and she checked me in and took my money. I found her and the other staff member I came into contact with to be both friendly, polite and helpful. The reception area is light, modern and airy, it looked well-maintained and was certainly clean and tidy but rather bland and generally lacking atmosphere.

Two lifts in the lobby access the rooms, you will need your key card to access the corridor from the lift lobby. Our room was as expected: small and minimalist. The king size bed took up most of the room, with a small veneer desk, and open hanging space. Light switches were thoughtfully positioned and there were enough plug sockets for our needs. The room has a kettle and basic tea and coffee sachets – there is no fridge, so UHT milk. The room has a TV, supposedly with 17 channels. There is only 30 minutes free wi-fi, otherwise you need to pay for it. The room had a radiator in it, which was off. We were not cold in the room at any point.

The bathroom had a loo, sink with space for your wash-bags and a good sized shower. No toiletries are provided other than hand wash by the sink and a basic hair and body wash in the shower. We only had one towel set and I asked for more at reception when we went out, I would like it if they could put two sets in a double room anyway.

The room was well-maintained and clean, the bed was comfy, although I found the pillows a bit too 'buoyant'. There was no outside noise so we were not disturbed.

In city like London it will be one of the better value hotel chains, especially at short notice. The double room is small so not really ideal for people who want to spend time relaxing in their room, but for one night we were happy.

28.04.2015 10:58

Advantages

Disadvantages

Gorgeous and very effective

Imperial leather is a really good brand that sometimes I can't help going back to whether it's due to my budget or because of the scent, it really doesn't matter as long as there are results.

The Imperial Leather Cussons range is quite extensive and I didn't realize how much choice there was. Due to retail space they obviously can't display every single piece of the range but it is definitely worth checking out online at imperialleather.co.uk
      to see the choice.

This is a part of their CALMING range and given the two main ingredients it's not two scents that I would have identified with so it is a treat to experience new scents that genuinely relaxes not only your muscles but your mind.

The two ingredients:
      CHERRY BLOSSOM
      PINK PEONY

What I initially didn't realize, despite drinking so much f the tea of Cherry blossom and knowing about it's health benefits this extends to cleansing the skin. In Japan, Cherry Blossom, is a flower highly thought of and used in medicine.
      This contains anti oxidants and helps protect your skin and I must say after working this into my skin and washing of there was a significant change in the texture of my skin. All day it was soft and fresh smelling.

I was really impressed overall with the results of this especially as in BOOTS I purchased this in a promotion for £1, the only minor minus would be you need a little more of the cream than you would for more expensive brands.

• planet.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      28.04.2015 10:11

Advantages

• " sophisticated clothing"
      • Classy

Disadvantages

• "Quite pricey"

Ladies Clothing For That Special Occasion!

Planet is an online website which sells mainly formal wear clothing for women. They offer clothes suitable for work and for special occasions such as formal parties, weddings and days at the races or other sporting events. I was recommended a visit to the site by a family member before her wedding when I was concerned I wouldn't fit in with the rest of the guests due to my lack of interest in popular fashion and conventional style. She told me I'd find something 'normal looking' on Planet!

I would say that the style of most of the items on Planet are quite sophisticated and to me they look as if they are aimed at more mature women. Even though I'm in my late thirties I did find myself rejecting a lot of items simply because they look more appropriate for my mother than for me! However, there are also a number of more suitable items for younger ladies. You can also see how each item looks as every item is shown in a picture where a model is showing it off. This is really helpful for things like dresses and skirts as the length is often important when it comes to your age.

The site sells dresses, jackets, coats, knitwear, tops, jerseys, blouses, skirts and accessories. I bought a dress from the site but I also browsed through the other categories. I would personally say that I think some of their goods are overpriced. Their scarves and jewelry, for instance, don't seem unique enough to warrant their high price tags. You should also expect to pay way more for basic workwear too such as plain black trousers. I think I would only ever purchase a 'special' outfit from this website.

During the ordering process you can engage in the site's 'Style Adviser' component to get an idea of what might suit you. I personally found this process to be unhelpful as I didn't like anything that was recommended to me at the end of the long questionnaire. However, it may be useful to some people to find out what will fit their body shapes.

The site accepts payments by all major credit cards and charges £2.99 for delivery but offers a free returns service. I was happy with the time it took my dress to arrive and was glad I did not opt for the £5 express delivery. I also did not use the returns service as I love my dress and the quality and style is fantastic and worth the price I paid.

I would definitely consider using the site again but only when looking for an item for a very special occasion. I would recommend to ladies looking for wedding and party outfits.

28.04.2015 10:10

Advantages

• "Easy to use"
      • "Removes moss and weeds"

Tidy up your garden

I bought this Draper 45544 1300w lawnrake/scarifyer Ebay for £26.00. It was in great condition and had hardly been used so I think I got quite a bargain there as the recommended retail price is £99.99 although you can currently get it for £79.99 from Homebase. We have got quite a large lawn at the front which is always full of moss and whatever we put down it still keeps growing so when a friend recommended a lawnrake I bought this one.

This lawnrake has a 750 watt motor so it is reasonably powerful. The cylinder with the rake is 34cm wide so you can cover quite a large area at one time and it has four rake heights to choose from which range from -5mm to +8mm and it is easy to change by a dial at the side of the machine. The collection box is a black and holds up to 34 litres which is a lot of moss, and it is easily removable by pulling a wide lip at the top of the box, and it then clips back down after use.

You use this lawnrake very similar to how you would a lawnmower. To start it you need to press the large button which is on the underneath of a plastic panel which comes off the handle at the top. You then need to press one of the two lever handles which are situated at each side of the handle and then it starts (as long as you have plugged it in first!) It does have quite a long lead so should reach the length of an average garden. We have quite a long back garden and it manages to get to the top without any problem. You just then slowly walk up and down pushing the machine whilst holding the two orange levers and the cylinder will turn and pull the moss out of the lawn. It does hold quite a lot of moss but if we haven’t used it for around three months we find that it has to be emptied during the use.

Don’t be put off with how the lawn looks when you have finished as it does look a bit untidy as it pulls large lumps of moss so you are left with patches of just dirt. We also find there is also some clumps of moss which have been pulled up but haven’t been collected in the box, however with a quick rake these are easily removed. I would say that it takes at least a week before the grass starts to grow and a couple more weeks before it starts to look really okay, but it really is worth it as you are left with a very healthy looking lawn.

• Aussie Mega Shampoo / Hair Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.04.2015 09:16

Advantages

• Effective
      • "Gorgeous fragrance"

Disadvantages

Smells divine and works well

I recently cut my hair to a short bob and it now requires extra styling. As a result, I am washing it more often, using more products and using my straighteners more frequently. I asked a hairdresser friend if she could recommend a reasonably priced but good quality shampoo which would help to look after my hair and keep it manageable and this is what she recommended.

The shampoo comes in a 300ml cream coloured bottle with a purple flip top lid. The bottle states that the product is suitable for everyday cleansing and provides a list of ingredients And directions for use.

The shampoo itself is honey coloured and smells divine! I can only assume that the fragrance is from the kangaroo paw flower extract that is mentioned on the bottle. Unfortunately the fragrance doesn't longer on the hair after washing but it is lovely when washing. You only need a small amount of the shampoo to build up a good lather and the shampoo leaves your hair feeling cleansed and soft. It is easily washed out and doesn't leave a residue on the hair which other shampoos can do. This means you avoid limp looking hair after washing.

I have been using this product for a couple of months now with the Aussie miracle take the heat conditioner. I have to say that I find the shampoo better than the conditioner but I am keen to try others in the range to find a conditioner that complements this shampoo.

It is priced around the £4.50 mark but can be found in multi-buy offers quite frequently. at this price, I think you are getting a good quality product for a reasonable price and I would recommend it even for the fragrance alone.

• Philips SHB7000 / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      28.04.2015 09:13

Advantages

• " powerful sound"
      • "Wireless freedom"

Disadvantages

• " price can be"
      • "Rare product"

The new sound of favorite music

Now I want to share with you one of the best music deals for home. This is a unique thing for those who are fond of music and of "Philips" products. Really all we know about the great and quality products of such a famous company as "Philips".
      These new improved headphones are created for enjoying any music in comfortable conditions, because you get freedom in your moves, it doesn't depend on music station, this bluetooth technology lets you go farther at a distance of 15-20 metres. So you can dance with the music rhythms, feeling powerful sounds of buss, piano, drums or other music instruments. In order to use it you should have two pairs of accumulations or simple batteries for optimal headphones action within the radius of your choice.
      We have bought it some time before, its price was almost normal, just a little bigger. Then, I mean now when the dollar rosed, these specialtis headphones began appear more often at our electronical shops and markets, but the price had rosed with the curse, that is why it's not for everyone who wants it. I wonder it is a lucky thing about purchasing these music wireless headphones and I like it very much, as I am fond of music, singing, playing piano, great sounds, sometimes dancing, so it helps my dreams come true.
      In my opinion this is a right choice for a lot of music fans, a new great opportunity for anyone who loves freedom, sound and new feelings!

• netflix.com / Internet Site / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.04.2015 00:04

Advantages

• "perfect buffering"
      • cheap
      • "remembers what you were watching and where you were up to."
      • "Kids only section"
      • "100s of TV shows"

Disadvantages

• "Needs an internet connection"

Perfect - no need for TV!

Netflix is an online streaming TV service which can be accessed through any console, smartphone, computer or internet TV (and also available on some box services such as Virgin)

Me and my partner decided to get the free trial with the view to cancel before the month was over. The first thing we started watching was Breaking Bad, and instantly we were hooked. 3 months later we are still using it and now paying £5.99 a month.

We access netflix through our Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and laptop.

You can set up an account with one email and billing details (no payments are taken if you are on a free trial) and you can then set up multiple profiles inside that one email login.

The profiles are very handy, we have a joint profile, then a separate profile for my partner and me where we watch only the shows we like. It is best to create profiles as Netflix saves what you view, and also creates clever suggestions based on the shows you like. You can also rate shows when you are logged in.

Netflix is chocked full of films, TV series, one of shows and also programs which are exclusive to Netflix and cannot be found on TV.

Netflix also has a "kids" section, which is fantastic, and has so many programs you will never need to access a children's channel again. The menu options are very easy and handy so that children can use them too.

The wireless connection in my house is quite poor, and I struggle to access Youtube videos from my bedroom, but Netflix works perfectly!

Out of all the streaming and rental services we have used, this is definitely the best.

• insureandgo.com / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.04.2015 00:02

Advantages

• "cover more than most"

Disadvantages

• "not the cheapest"

very much worth a try especially if you think you cant get travel insurance

My 16yr daughter has recently being diagnosed with anaphalaxis (severe allergy) to soya, which has needed life saving treatment 7 times within the last year so we were worried about finding travel insurance that would cover her to go abroad and we were right to be concerned as most places refused to give her cover even for a 7day trip let alone a years policy which we wanted, but not insure and go.
      As soon as i rang i explained that i was struggling to get cover and that i didnt want to waste mine or their time if there was no chance of cover, i had instant reassurance that it was unlikely to be the case, which made me feel very much at ease.
      after completing the forms over the phone they offered me cover both including her condition and also excluding it , so i felt happier that i did feel i had a choice in the cover i took out, although for me it was a no brainer which option to take.
      i wanted some time to consider which again was met with a warm reply, and the lady agreed to ring the next day to confirm if i wanted to continue, which she did at the agreed time.
      As it is a potentially life threatening condition we expected the excess would be high but in fact it was only £50, the whole family and her were covered way more than we would normally take in respect of travel insurance, but it was very much worth it for peace of mind.
      insureandgo may not be the cheapest, it cost us £179 in the end to cover myself, my hubsband and 3 teens for the year, but its so much cheaper than if she had a reaction abroad and was uncovered.
      i cant praise the customer service staff enough for ensuring that all my worries were answered and that my policy was tailored to suit our family, so its worth giving them a go especially if you have conditions that many other travel insurance companies wouldnt touch.

• La Mer Hand Treatment / La Mer / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      27.04.2015 23:30

Advantages

Disadvantages

A normal, ridiculously expensive hand cream.

I received this as a gift from my aunt and felt excited to try it as La Mer has a good reputation. It left me feeling slightly disappointed.

The claim:
      A silky formulation that resurfaces, protects, and heals the hands.

The verdict:
      The cream feels luxuriously silky and instantly cools the hand down when applied. When it dried my hands felt somewhat softer, looked a little 'matte', and felt really moisturised. However, all of the hand creams I have previously used had the same effect and it didn't seem particularly special - I recall that a damask rose one from Dove was especially wonderful and made your hands feel so feminine. I continued to apply the cream for a few days and still didn't notice a difference. My mother applied some of this cream too and she reported minor irritation - I think it's because it contains natural plant extracts and fragrance chemicals. So if you have really sensitive hands, it may be wise to try this as a sample first, or otherwise stick to fragrance free hand creams.
      One thing which really annoys me is that it claims to contain "declustered water". I have no idea as to what that is. I studied chemistry to an advanced level and never heard of it. La Mer claim that it penetrates skin better than regular water, BUT, there is no research proving it to be a superior choice for skin over regular water. Our skin has a tendency to take on water anyway, and too much water is in fact a bad thing - it's why many doctors will tell you to avoid sitting in a bath of water/shower for too long - our skin becomes vulnerable and its natural barrier can be impaired.
      Looking at the ingredients, it's essentially algae, mineral oil, Vaseline, lime extract and thickening extracts. Nothing special, but enough to make your hands look better.

Ingredients:
      Declustered Water, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Tourmaline, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Retinyl Palmitate, Caprylyl Glycol, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Pantethine, Cholesterol, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Enteromorpha Compressa Extract, Hexylene Glycol, Bisabolol, Linoleic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Caffeine, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Squalane, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Tocopheryl Nicotinate, Crithmum Maritimum Extract, Butylene Glycol, Magnesium Sulfate, PEG-100 Stearate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Citronellol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol.

And before I forget: the price is absolutely ridiculous. Scrubbing your hands gently with honey and brown sugar, and then moisturising with your everyday (good) hand cream does the job at a fraction of the cost.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown