29.05.2015 16:24

Advantages

• "Distinctive flavour"
      • "Nice flavour"

Disadvantages

Velvety Smooth And Rich Chocolate!

I absolutely love chocolate but I usually eat brands such as Cadburys or Shops Own. I recently received a large bar of this Milka Alpine Milk from a family member who'd just returned from their holidays. I'm not sure if it's commonly sold in Europe but I have certainly not seen this particular variety of Milka in any stores near me. It's also a very large 300g sized bar which I have and it looks like it's especially suitable for giving as a gift or during a seasonal event.

The packaging for this Milka bar is very distinctive and attractive. It's a purple blue plastic wrap with a gold edging. A picture of an old fashioned milk churn is featured as is a sketch of a cow wearing a quaint cow bell around it's neck. This design gives me the impression that the brand have been around for a long time or that they use traditional methods to obtain their base ingredients.

The back of the wrapper is printed with lots of product information such as full ingredients. One ingredient is quite distinctive: hazelnut paste. Milka has a very different flavour to other chocolates on the market but once you see this ingredient you can detect that this hazelnut paste is what makes it different. It also contains a large quantity of milk.

The wrapper has a re-seal feature which is handy and which successfully keeps the chocolate fresh. The chocolate is quite thick like a slab and has barely any indents for which to snap a piece off. Each square is about one inch by one inch in measurement and is stamped with the Milka logo.

This chocolate is rather rich and sweet. It does taste rather like creamy Nutella. I really love the texture of the chocolate as it's so intensely creamy and slightly fudge-like. It melts in the mouth and leaves a strong aftertaste of cocoa and hazelnut. Nutritional values of this chocolate per 100g are 535 calories and 29.5g of fat so this is a treat that can be enjoyed now and then.

Overall this is very satisfying for me and I think it would appeal to anyone who likes chocolate. It's intense flavour and deliciously smooth velvety texture is very satisfying.

29.05.2015 16:21

Advantages

• "Cheap "
      • "Cleans effectively in a short space of time"

Great quick pick me up

I try and treat my skin to a face mask at least twice a week though I do prefer to do it three times if I have the time. The ideal way for me to use a face mask is to set aside an hour or so to light some candles and put on a mask and relax but unfortunately for me that isn’t always a practical option thanks to the kids and my husband demanding my time.

When I haven’t got much time I still try and treat myself to a mask to keep my skin looking good but I just make sure and use something that is designed for an express pick me up like this mask.

I really like using this one when I am short of time because it takes hardly any time to use it but it still gives noticeable results. It is also designed to be used on a wet face and it doesn’t harden so it can even be used in the shower which makes it even more practical to fit into a short space of time.

The mask comes in little individual sachets that cost £1.29 for two sachets so it is a bit of a bargain.
      The mask itself is a blue colour and you just apply it to damp clean skin and then leave it for 3 minutes and then wash it off.

You can feel the mask tingling as soon as it touches your skin and then it starts heating up almost immediately and when it starts heating it actually gets quite hot. The heat doesn’t last that long but it is quite a weird sensation when it is actually heating up.

The mask is quite thick so even though it doesn’t harden it you do have to really make sure that you clean it off your skin otherwise you find bits of it stuck to your nose and eyebrows.

I don’t think this is as effective as some masks but for a quick pick me up it is really good. It is excellent at leaving my skin looking and feeling clean in such a short space of time. I think my skin looks noticeably clearer after using the mask and it definitely feels deep down clean. It also gives my skin a slight glow and it leaves my skin nice for applying moisturiser and make-up on afterwards as it helps remove any grease from my skin.

I think this is great for the money and I will continue to buy it as it is the most effective mask for the time required for it to work.

• MAC Lipstick / Make Up / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      29.05.2015 15:48

Advantages

• "Smell beautiful"
      • "Colour lasts well"
      • "Mass array of colours"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly pricey"

Colour up my life and lips with MAC!

I don’t get to wear it often because I do seem to work a lot of the time, but the days I get to be off and enjoy myself – I do like to do myself up and give myself a day of treats and pampering. So if I head out to meet a friend, or just for a walk around I always make sure I stick on a slick of lipstick.

I’ve not long got into lipstick, I was always a lip gloss kind of girl, and I’d always loved the MAC lipsticks – so when I decided I was going to buy into the whole idea of lipstick MAC was where I went to first.

I’ve got a few more than I care to admit but I’ll give you a bit of a thought about MAC lipsticks in general. What I find with them mostly, is that the choice of colours and finishes is absolutely astonishing, go to a MAC stand and there are more lipsticks than you know what to do with – I find it hard every time I go in to decide what I want to buy. The shades vary so much that there is something to suit every skin shade, no matter how pale or dark you are.

The lipsticks smell absolutely gorgeous – if I open the lid of my closest lipstick, and sniff it, it smells a bit vanilla like. It’s lovely to be able to apply a lipstick and have that kind of smell underneath your nose all day long, it’s an unadvertised bonus that comes with MAC lipsticks really. Along with the fact that despite shimmer and metallic looking lipsticks they are nice and smooth – and make my lips feel really soft and moisturised while I’m wearing it.

The colour pigmentation is great, they’re easy to apply and look so good when they’re on. They last a long time as well, provided I’m not eating lots I can easily make the colour last in excess of 6 or 7 hours – but it depends how much you apply in the beginning and if you put a protective top coat over your lipstick. The colour can transfer on skin as I’ve managed to transfer it by kisses to my other half when I’ve kissed him much to his dismay!

Lipsticks are around the £15 marker, I tend to by normal MAC lipsticks nothing limited edition which is £15.50 new – there are more expensive but I stick with my basics!

29.05.2015 15:44

Advantages

• "Good quality compact and mirror"

Disadvantages

Face powder with staying power

I don’t usually foundation every day but I like some sort of covering as I have a few dark patches and blemishes on my face so I use pressed powder on a regular basis. This Dr Hauschka face powder is translucent but it does still provide a good cover for my face and does seem to give the appearance of being smooth and helps to disguise the blemishes. I bought this from a department store when they had a special offer and I paid £12.95 which is around half the recommended retail price. You can also get Dr Hauschka powders in several shades and bronzing powders and they cost around the same.

It comes in a good quality black compact which has a plastic cover which I always find it best to replace as it protects the powder and keeps it fresh. It has a soft furry powder puff which is very good quality and it feels lovely when you apply it to your face. The lid of the compact is a mirror so you don't have to take a separate mirror around with you.

To use I will give the sponge a little twist to get enough on there to use and then apply the powder to my forehead, cheeks and nose using a sweeping outwards motion. I find that I usually have to dab the sponge back onto the powder once more to make sure that all my face is covered. It does feel soft and silky on my skin and you really can’t feel that you are wearing it as it doesn’t feel caked on or thick at all. It does a good job of disguising blemishes and also prevents my face from becoming shiny which it is apt to do if I get warm and it is also a great product for setting your make up.

I have never experienced any irritation or reaction when using this powder and I have been using it now for several months. It blends excellently on my skin leaving my skin looking very smooth and it also removes easily with wipes or make up cleansers. I will look out for any special offers from Dr Hauschka as I would definitely buy this again. It is more expensive than some other brands but it goes on very smoothly and I find that it stays on all day so you don't have to use as much powder. It definitely feels like a high quality product and I do recommend it.

29.05.2015 15:17

Advantages

• "Lots of Shades"
      • "Long Lasting"
      • "Good Coverage"

Disadvantages

• "Slightly pricey"

My new long lasting foundation from MAC!

Foundation is a pain in the backside for me, it seems when I first get it that it suits perfectly and I can’t get enough of it. Then it takes a month or so and then it starts to look a bit different on my skin, so I figure either it changes colour, or my eyes just think it does. So this time I’ve decided to go for something a bit different!

I’ve always loved MAC lipsticks, and currently own a few too many than I care to admit to, but I decided that I wanted to give some more of their items a go. The foundation was the first place I went for.

This foundation is a little on the pricey side for a bottle that’s only 30ml in size, however when you look at all high end foundations they’re all around the same £25 marker maybe a little more or a little less. However I am thinking now that I’m not going to be too upset about spending this on a bottle of foundation – as this foundation seems more than worth the money in my opinion. The bottle is glass so be careful, it comes with a pump lid to get the foundation out and a sliding lock top to prevent leaks.

The foundation claims to last 15 hours, and having worn it for a full 13 hour shift and the time either side of it to work – I can safely say it holds that claim nicely. I could have probably gone on to go out after work with it on, and not be worried that my skin was beginning to look a mess or tired. A medium coverage foundation, that will cover problem skin, without making you feel caked up – or too heavy, help to prevent oils and keep your skin looking fresh all day, which is something I’ve struggled with for years. This foundation seems to have cured that!

There are so many different shades it’s unbelievable, in store they’ll colour match you depending on warmth or coolness of your skin. Easy to remove with soap and water, remover or a wipe – without any redness or irritation noted at any point. 30 mls will easily last me a couple of months if not more since I’ve still got some left, so although it’s pricey it’s worth every penny!

30ml of foundation is currently £25 with MAC, from the website or Debenhams, and House of Fraser.

29.05.2015 15:08

Sweet smelling body scrub

I am a fan of Boots Natural products and have used many of them over the years. I had this as part of a gift set which included this body scrub, a body gel and moisturiser. I am not sure how much it was as it was a gift but I have had a look online and a gift set similar to this is around £6 or to buy it on its own it is around £2.50 so it is affordable.

This Mango and Papaya body scrub is 75ml size and comes in a clear tube so you can see how much is left in the tube. The tube gives you the ingredients on the back and instructions for use. This scrub contains essential oils and it smells fresh and fruity and as I am applying it the smell comes out even more and it stays on my skin for some time afterwards even though it is washed off. I think that this is due to the exfoliation part as the little bits seem to go a bit deeper into your skin.

I would describe the scrub as quite a rich cream with lots of little grains all the way through it, and to use I will step under the shower to make sure my skin is wet and then squeeze some cream out onto my sponge or spa glove and then rub into my skin using small circular motions. It does lather up as I am using it so it spreads easily on my skin and I can feel the grains rubbing away at the surface of my skin but it is not unpleasant at all. When I am happy that I have rubbed it into the required areas I will stand back under the shower and rinse it off.

When I have finished my skin does feel very fresh and clean. I will always apply a nice body moisturiser afterwards and it does seem to soak in well and leaves me with lovely soft feeling skin.. By exfoliating on a regular basis I know I am getting rid of any dead skin cells and helping to improve my circulation and I am always glad when I have done it even though I do put it off sometimes as it does take longer than a normal shower.

I think that this is an effective exfoliating scrub which lathers up well, smells lovely and it does make my skin feel clean and nourished. I use this along with other Boots natural products and think it is a good quality product which anyone can use and I do recommend it.

29.05.2015 14:59

Advantages

• "Holds hair in place all day"

Not a hair out of place

I picked this Wella Silverkrin 24 hour firm hold hairspray up from a local discount store a few weeks ago. This can is 250ml and it cost just £1 which is much lower than the recommended retail price of £2.99. I will always choose firm hold hairspray as I find that anything less just won’t hold my hair as it is quite thick and strong and although I hadn’t had this particular one before I have used numerous other Silverkrin products and always found them to be very good.

To use I will style my hair and then spray the can about eight to ten inches away and then spray it in short bursts until I am happy that the areas I need to fix are covered. As I wear glasses if I leave them on when I apply the spray I will shield the lenses with my hands as with all sprays it can leave a residue on your glasses when it dries.

I find that this spray dries quite quickly but you do get a few seconds to mould or smooth any parts you might need to whilst it is still moist which is good if you have quite curly hair and it needs a bit more finishing. A good thing about this spray is that it doesn’t feel sticky or tacky when it dries and it looks completely natural which I like. I find that it also brushes out easily at the end of the day and I can do this for a few days before it needs washing unlike some other sprays which you just can’t get your brush through. It also just seems to just evaporate when you brush it out and you don’t get any flakes or bits flying around.

I really like this maximum hold hairspray and would definitely buy it again especially if I can get it at the same price. The fine spray dries quickly and does a great job of keeping my hair in place but it still has movement and looks quite natural. It brushes out easily and doesn’t leave any residue or flakes in my hair and it comes recommended by me.

29.05.2015 14:59

Advantages

• "Really moisutrising and creamy "
      • "Smells divine "

Stunning body cream

My favourite beauty company at the minute has to be Scottish Fine Soaps. I am completely in love with nearly everything that I have tried from them. It is the highest quality but priced much cheaper than some other brands that don’t even have the same quality.

I first discovered them through their soaps in tins which I originally bought for presents but ended up keeping for myself because they were so lovely.

I have been going through most of their products the last year or so and I have been gutted that some I loved have been discontinued but luckily they have loads of other beautiful things to try.

I am really liking the Boheme range at the minute as it is very pampering and luxurious feeling to use and it smells divine.

The body creme is lovely to use after a bath to not only keep my skin soft and moisturised but also to fragrance it too. The fragrance is a blend of musks, florals and crystal amber and it smells absolutely divine and I wish that Scottish Fine Soaps would come out with a matching eau de toilette to match it as I love wearing matching products that I like so that the smell is intensified.

The fragrance in this is quite strong for a body cream and it lasts quite a long time on my skin before fading. Using the body cream also feels luxurious and the cream is really good quality and you can feel and see the quality whilst using it. It is a very thick cream and it feels lovely using it on my skin but it doesn’t feel greasy and absorbs well into my skin.

It costs £8.50 on the Scottish Fine Soaps website but I bought it for £5.00 and I think that it is a bargain and worth every penny paid. You don’t need too much of it to moisturise your whole body and the scent alone makes it worth the money and the fact that the cream is also good is a bonus.

29.05.2015 14:54

Advantages

• "Refreshing and cool"

Cleansing cucumber

I do like using cleansing milk as I prefer the thin consistency and find that they usually do just a good a job as the more thicker concentrated products which I find sometimes leave a residue on my face. I find a good cleansing milk will remove all traces of make up from my face and leave it feeling refreshed and product free. I was actually given this Body Shop cucumber cleansing milk by a friend who said she just didn't like the smell of it and have looked online and you can get this for around £3 to £4.

It is a 200ml bottle which will usually last me for around three to four months as I also do use wipes as well as cleanser. I can say that it has never irritated my skin or caused any irritation. The liquid is white and milky in appearance and it does smell of sweet cucumbers but isn't too strong or overpowering.

To use I will tip a small amount onto a cotton wool pad and find that you don't really need much as it seems to go a long way. It stays on the cotton wool pad without soaking right in and I find that one application is enough to wipe over my whole face and neck. I will use small outward sweeping motions starting at the top of my face going down to my neck and then will finish off by wiping around my eyes.

My skin feels soft and quite hydrated afterwards and I don't feel the need to use anything else straight away although I will use a moisturiser or night cream just before going to bed. I love the cooling feeling I get when I am using this cleansing milk and I think that my skin does look smooth and fresh afterward.

I do like this cleanser and will continue to use it and would buy it again, so I do recommend it and if you can pick it up for £3 I think it is a good price for a good quality product which is gentle but removes every trace of my make up and leaves my skin feeling clean and fresh.

• Weleda Wild Rose Soap / Weleda / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      29.05.2015 14:27

Advantages

• "Really high quality "
      • "Gorgeous smell"

Disadvantages

• "Expensive "

Gorgeous but expensive

I love nice soaps and they are probably my biggest indulgence. My favourite brand is Scottish Fine Soaps and I currently have a drawer full of their soaps but there are loads of nice soaps such as this one that I can’t help but buy myself another one even though I know I shouldn’t.

I love this soap but I almost never buy myself it anymore as it costs £9.50 and I can’t really justify spending that on a bar of soap at the minute. If I could I would buy it more often because I love the smell of roses and Weleda rose products are some of the nicest smelling rose products that you can buy.

The smell of the soap is lovely and fragrant and scents my skin and even fills the room with the scent. Everything about it feels luxurious. It is so creamy and doesn’t melt to a tiny stick after having been wet.

It leaves hands feeling really clean but it doesn’t dry the skin out and leave them dry and itchy. Instead it leaves them feeling soft and smooth. It is actually really moisturising for a soap.

It is the smell that is the main selling point about this soap for me anyway because it smells beautiful. It is so fragrant and natural smelling. Sometimes rose fragrances can smell really fake and unnatural and a bit sickly and old fashioned but this one smells beautiful and is the real selling point for me.

If it was cheaper then I would definately buy it more often. I can’t fault anything else about this soap other than the price which I do think is a bit excessive but it certainly is a really lovely high quality soap that has a gorgeous rose fragrance.

29.05.2015 14:14

Advantages

• "Moisturising "
      • "Smells beautiful and is relaxing "

Disadvantages

• "Far too expensive "

Gorgeous but way too expensive

Dr Haushcka is a lovely brand to use and I would love to use their products every day of my life but they are quite expensive so I only really use them as treats every now and again.

I love their Lavender bath essence. I have used lavender for years to help me relax and there is nothing nicer than lying in a hot bath with a good lavender bath product just relaxing and breathing in the relaxing fragrance.

I have only recently discovered the Dr Haushka Lavender bath essence. I have used other Dr Haushka bath products but I had never used this one before but it is lovely and has become a real favourite.

The smell is incredible and it is really relaxing to use. I just pour some of the essence under a hot running tap and the scent fills up the whole bathroom. I love lying in the bath enjoying this as it is so soothing and calming and I think it really does help me to unwind even if I am feeling really stressed.

As well as being relaxing and smelling amazing it is also really good for my skin. It is full of natural ingredients and leaves my skin feeling lovely after using it. It has almond and avacado oil in it and this really helps to leave my skin feeling as soft as possible. Sometimes when I use a bath product it can actually dry my skin out but this leaves it feeling really soft and feeling smooth.

The only thing about this bath essence that I can complain about it the price. It costs £16.50 which is expensive for a bath essence but it’s ok for a treat. Unfortunately though for that much money you don’t actually get a lot of the essence. The bottle is only 100ml and you actually need to use quite a bit of the essence each time you use it so it doesn’t last long at all. It is lovely but there are other lovely lavender bath products which last longer so even though this is beautful it really will only be a very occasional treat.

29.05.2015 14:13

Advantages

• Handmade
      • "Quality material"
      • Design

Disadvantages

• "Small front pocket"
      • Price

Professional looking card holder

I was searching quite a while for a card holder, which will look professional and would hold my cards when I don't want to carry my whole purse all around. I bought few of E.P.J. Seymour for my friend a while ago so I decided to look if I would find a similar product from this company for myself. After browsing their website I found this card sleeve holder which caught my eye. The price is quite high, I paid whooping £80 but according to my previous experience with their products I knew I was paying for high quality. I got the card holder delivered in four days. The products is handmade in England like all E.P.J. Seymour products. The case dimensions are 7cm × 10cm and is made from fine Italian grain calf leather and 8 wale corduroy. It comes in pale blue/black color combination but can be purchased in red/dark brown as well.
      In the back of the case is a Squirrel logo and E.P.J. Seymour signature. In the front is a small acorn pin in the right bottom corner. The case has two pockets, the rear one is slightly bigger and offers comfortable space for 5 credit cards. The front case is the only negative thing on this case. If you put a card on, the card fits not whole in and is showing out and can be lost quite easily (if you don't stuck multiple cards in).
      But in the end I am very happy with this product. The materials used are high quality and the case looks very professional.
      Definitely recommended.

• Dymo LetraTAG / Printer Consumable / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      29.05.2015 13:48

Advantages

• "sticks well"
      • clear
      • "easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "may not survive dishwasher cycle"

label things clearly

I also have this review on ciao

I have had a letra tag printer/label maker for a while now and this is the tape I use for labelling things inside my flat. The tape cartridge is a bit fiddly to insert into the machine at first but after a few goes it becomes second nature. I buy mine from WH Smiths for £4.99 each.
      The label is a bright white and it gives a good contrast to the black printing the machine applies to it. It is wide enough to make nice clear labels and can easily take the two lines setting the machine has without losing too much clarity. The backing strip is in two pieces so a simple bend along the length of the label makes these easy to remove and then apply the label to the object. With the surface of the label has a slightly waxy feel to it and it is one of the ‘heat printed’ types of label.
      The label sticks well onto glass, plastic and paper/card. I have not as yet tried sticking them onto any metal object so I can’t comment on the sticking power here. They do not easily come off so you need to be sure they are properly aligned before sticking down fully. With the label being made of paper it may not survive that many times on jars washed by hand and I very much doubt it would survive even a single dishwasher cycle. Then again the tape is 4 meters long and most labels on my jars are a few cm so it doesn’t cost that much simply to replace them.
      The labels I have on the objects inside my flat have stayed nice and white but the ones outside have yellowed slightly. However, I doubt direct sunlight would cause the yellowing as it occurred during winter so I doubt it would be hot enough and the label is in a covered porch like area which provides almost total shade all day. I put the yellowing down to simply being exposed to the elements and the pollution – as I do live on a main road but I can’t be certain.
      The label cartridge can be used with the following models in the dynamo letra tag range: TAG QX50, LetraTag LT-100H, LetraTag LT-100T, LetraTAG XR

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.05.2015 12:15

Advantages

• "custom spec"
      • fast

Disadvantages

• "slow booting up but quck after that"
      • "quite heavy"

Generally happy with the laptop

I am generally pleased with my laptop. I was surprised that it is not quicker booting up given that it has an SSD card. It is also quite heavy but having said that I am used to a older HP laptop with a 15 inch screen so maybe it is just the contrast in size. Apart from that I am happy with it and it does what is should do.

• Bath in General / Destination National / 7 Readings / 7 Ratings
      29.05.2015 12:06

Advantages

• "Good range of eateries"
      • "Lots of historical attractions/museums"
      • "Beautiful city"

Disadvantages

• "Parking Awkward"
      • "Central Hotels expensive"

A Beautiful Georgian City

Bath is a lovely city in the West of England and well worth a weekend break. It is served by train and road, but central parking can be a problem. City centre hotels are expensive, (especially at weekends) so look out for B&B deals about 10-15 mins walk out of town.

Attractions include:
      -The traditional Georgian Royal Crescent, including house No 1, which has been restored to a replica Georgian house (late 18th century).
      -The well maintained Gothic style Abbey.
      -The Roman Baths - have an audio tour describing these baths, popular for the sick to come and visit in Georgian/Victorian times,for the natural hot springs but discovered pre-Roman times. There is also a modern (and over-priced) spa you can visit.
      - Jane Austen Museum/tours - The famous author spent some time here and there is a small museum dedicated to her time here. You can also do an entertaining walking tour.
      -Fashion Museum - I remembered visiting here as a child and loving it, but found it poorly maintained and laid out when I re-visited a few years ago. I hope it has improved as it has a lot of potential.
      -Assembly Rooms - Georgian Function rooms. Not worth a special trip in my opinion.

There is an open top bus tour and numerous guided walking tours (and an app you can download and use). I would recommend one of the walks to get a good feel for the city, as it is an attractive city to walk around. Look out for offers that may include several attractions on the same ticket for better value for money.

There are numerous bars, cafes and restaurants and Bath is a lively city in the evening with a good mix of nicer chain restaurants and independents.

I highly recommend a two-night weekend stay in Bath - more if you can spare the time.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown