• print24 online printing / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      24.07.2014 12:34

Advantages

• "product quality"
      • "fast delivery"
      • "colors quality"

Disadvantages

• "better videos on the homepage"
      • "easier homepage"
      • "better prices"
      • "perfection in cutting the postcards"

great colors! an easier homepage would though be great!

Im very happy for the 24print service and product.
      It was kind a fast delivery, actually faster then i expected.
      First i though had to call the customer service, because the homepage confused me quite a lot. There was many options, but not good enough explained / showed. I would love the videos on there homepage of the different paper qualities, would actually be real videos, and not made in a computer program.
      About the colors: They were exactly how i wanted them to be, and that was the most imported for me. Especially because i have had some challenge getting the color right.
      Only two thing could be better prices and easier homepage. Fx could it be great if it was possible to print fx 10 cheap ones, and if they look like you want them and you can sell them, then you print more.
      Also i would love that it would be cheaper to get a simple background for a postcard, just one all ready made one, so it could be cheap. just an idea!

But in general I am very happy and would tell other to use it, and I am also gonna use it again very soon.

24.07.2014 12:28

Advantages

• "Good staying power"
      • "Pretty Bottle"
      • "Lovely Scent"

Disadvantages

• "A bit expensive."

Viva-cious..!

The Viva La Juicy scent is produced by the Juicy Couture brand, and is widely available to purchase in either an Eau De Parfum format, or an Eau de Toilette spray, which generally offers better value for money. The 30ml bottle of Eau De Parfum spray that I own generally retails for somewhere between £30 and £40.

The glass bottle is quite 'square-ish' in its shape and is made of clear, chunky glass. The little bottle is very nice, and quite modern, bordering on being quite chic.

The scent is described (on various sites online) as being 'Floral' and I do agree with this claim. Indeed, the first real notes that I can detect are all very floral, but I was able to detect early on that these floral tones were surprisingly 'light' rather than being heavy notes that are often present in other floral-scented perfumes. This discovery was very welcome for me, as I can't say I am overly fond of heavy floral scents.
      The Viva La Juicy perfume really feels rather more contemporary than most other floral-scented fragrances that I've encountered before, although I do have to point out that whilst it feels modern and quite 'chic', it doesn't feel too young for my thirty-something years; I am completely comfortable being in the scent's fragrant cloud.
      There is something 'fresh' to be observed from the heart of the scent, but this is really only obvious once it has been allowed to settle on the skin for a good while; at first, it just feels floral and feminine, but this isn't a criticism on my part; I do like the scent in its initial stages too. Later on, however, a notable refreshing 'edge' is noticeable and this allows the scent to feel light and refreshing, making it the perfect scent for the warmer summer months.
      There is an obvious sweetness to the back of the scent's main notes too, and whilst this is fairly noticeable later on, it never really seems to become overly obvious, which I feel would make it threaten the delicateness of the refreshing element of the scent. Noticeable, yes... Over-bearing, no.
      I like the flexibility of this particular scent; I've never found that it feels over-the-top for any particular occasion, with its light, summery fragrance feeling quite easy-going in this regard. Furthermore, I do feel that it is suitable for both daytime and night-time occasions; it feels 'special' enough for more 'dressy' occasions, whilst feeling 'comfortable' enough for daytime outings.

I have found that the Viva La Juicy Eau De Parfum performs very well in terms of the scent's longevity; I can easily detect a fragrant 'whiff' of the perfume on my wrists some hours after applying. Furthermore, I don't find that there is any real need to apply copious amounts of the spray onto my skin to achieve a good 'depth' to the perfume.

I would definitely repurchase the scent again in the future and do recommend it.

• Jackass / TV Programme / 3 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.07.2014 12:27

Advantages

• "Easy to watch"
      • "Made me chuckle"
      • "Reasonable acting"

Disadvantages

• "Not to everyone's taste"
      • "A bit tiresome at times"

Old But Definitely Not Wiser

Jackass is hugely popular and well-known, so this spin off film with a Bad Grandpa character made me curious. It’s a hidden camera romp that falls within the comedy genre and brings with it the essence of Jackass, but in disguise.

Following the arrest of his mother, eight year old Billy needs to be taken back to Chuck, his not-so-doting father. Enter Irving Zisman, the eighty six year old grandpa with bucket loads of rather creepy charm and pizazz. He takes Billy, somewhat begrudgingly at first, on a roadtrip across the States.

The rest of the film continues to see the dynamic duo get up to all sorts of mischief during their travels. Anything that could upset, offend or shock, they seem to manage. The scenes and settings vary quite dramatically from a funeral to a child beauty pageant. Remember, this is a hidden camera gig, so although scripted to a degree, it relies a lot on the responses of those around them.

The film does loosely follow a plot, which is what additionally sets this apart from previous Jackass films. It’s nothing all that intelligent but it’s easy to follow and doesn’t take too much thought. The plot just gives a slight backbone to the film and keeps the stunts and mishaps tidy because they’re linked together for an end destination.

I loved Knoxville in this. The make-up team did a super job transforming him in to the doddering, but ever risque, grandpa. The grandson was played by Jackson Nicoll. I often find child actors can pull a film down because they’re too wooden or unbelievable or simply irritating. Thankfully, he actually pulled it off surprisingly well. I found him to be quite easy to watch and entertaining.

The humour was a bit of a mix; there’s obviously plenty in the way of stunts to keep Jackass fans happy, but there’s some witty remarks, sarcasm and rudeness to keep it feeling a bit sharper. This balanced quite well with the stupid humour and mindless mishaps. I did find myself laughing at points, especially the end few scenes with the beauty pageant (I actually found that part hilarious).

The downsides? It won’t be to everyone’s taste. In fact, lots of the humour and jokes some would find distasteful. I quite liked some of the humour and sarcastic tone, though not all of it was particularly original. I did, however, find that some scenes or elements were a little over-done. For instance, a gag running longer than it should which resulted in it becoming a bit grating or lacklustre. This took away some enjoyment from the film because I wasn’t always hooked on watching it, so at times I would say I found myself a smidge bored.

All in all, this is a Jackass movie, so be prepared for Jackass humour and silliness. It’s nothing altogether too shocking but the acting was fairly good, the hidden camera real-life responses were entertaining and I enjoyed some of the comedy.

• Dark Shadows (DVD) / DVD / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      24.07.2014 12:21

Advantages

• "Kooky and Fun"
      • "Johnny Depp and Tim Burton"

Disadvantages

• "Made for a fairly specific sense of humour"

Fun and wry, just give it a chance!

I don't get why people don't like Dark Shadows. Maybe it wasn't quite what people expected. Maybe they just didn't understand that this was not meant to be some dark and brooding 'Interview With The Vampire' type film (as great as that film is) but a wry yet loving film of one of the more bizarre soap operas to grace the USA's TV screens.

Maybe it's just that this will appeal to people with a pretty specific sense of humour (e.g. mine,) or people entrenched so deeply in the world of Tim Burton that this film stood firm in their Burtonesque dreamland (again, this is a good assessment of me.)

The very soapy-ness (yes, I realise I'm making up words in this review,) is what makes this film so great. Melodrama deserving of the hammiest episode of Hollyoaks or Neighbours which actually knows that it's a little over the top, a little silly - and loves it anyway!

Alice Cooper provides a good soundtrack and some of the best gags, while Johnny Depp's Barnabas Collins, a 200 year old vampire, is played to the top notch on the kooky anti-hero scale. The fact that the entire Collins fortune depends on the fish canning business is also great.

Eva Green enjoys hissy fits that surely gave her good practice for her new TV series, Penny Dreadful, and while Chloe Moretz' performance is slightly lost among the swathe of talent on show, her stroppy teen is still fantastic.

Don't pay too much attention to the naysayers - give this a chance at least. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but you may find that this funny Gothicism is just what you were waiting for.

• Furniture123.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.07.2014 11:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Appalling company - AVOID"

AVOID

I ordered a Julian Bowen Domino Bunk Bed bed and the website stated "in-stock". I then received an email advising delivery would take a week.

The bed arrived and the contents were clearly smashed to pieces. I refused delivery on the doorstep and the couriers took the bed away (accepting that it was clearly very badly damaged).

I immediately phoned Furniture123 (on their premium rate phone line with extended unnecessary recorded options) and advised them off this. They said someone would call me back that day. No one called.

I then chased again the next day and was told I couldn't have a refund until the couriers had returned the bed.

I chased every few days over the following two weeks and was repeatedly told that I couldn't have my money back until the couriers had returned the bed.

In the end I phoned the couriers and asked them why they still hadn't returned the bed. The courier advised that they had returned the bed the previous week. I phoned Furniture123 and they denied this.

I asked them to explain why I was having to wait for a refund when I had never actually taken delivery of the goods. The boy I spoke to said that under law they could keep my money for 30 days and therefore that's what they would be doing. I explained that consumer law said they should refund me within a reasonable period (that was generally accepted in practice to be no more than 30 days). He replied to say "trading standards says we can have it for 30 days, so that's what we do".

On the 29th day after delivery I contacted them again and was told that I could now have my money back but that it would take a few days to be processed. I eventually got my money back 32 days after refusing delivery of the damaged goods.

I would never ever deal with these people again. I ordered in good faith, refused delivery of damaged items, had to chase to get my money back and am out of pocket due to having to constantly call the premium rate phone number. I made a complaint to the company and asked to be reimbursed for my costs and they refused saying "we don't do compensation".

24.07.2014 10:49

Advantages

• "Feels luxurious"
      • "Moisturises well"
      • "Amazing scent which lingers"

Disadvantages

• Price

Amazing body lotion, shame about the price

I subscribe to the monthly Birchbox which means I get a selection of cosmetics and toiletry samples every month. Last year, one of my samples was a Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang body lotion, which I received the month after my Molton Brown body wash. I’d never tried the Molton Brown range before – I usually use Lush or Soap & Glory – so I was intrigued.

Molton Brown describe their ylang-ylang products as follows: “London via Madagascar: Secrets from rainforest. Sun-warmed woods. Dozing heads beneath the canopy.” They certainly sound very appealing! The lotion is a pale lilac colour and is made with a “skin pampering complex” to firm, comfort and hydrate. It is scented with Madagascan ylang-ylang perfume oil.

Like the matching body wash, this body lotion smells amazing – it has a relaxing, sophisticated ylang-ylang scent. It is also pricey - GBP25 for 300ml. I use it after showering with the matching body wash, and only a small amount is needed. The lotion doesn’t irritate my skin at all, but sinks in really easily. The smell is amazing – I don’t have to apply any perfume for at least four hours, as the scent really lasts.

The lotion is fairly light, but still manages to be good enough for my dry skin. It doesn’t offer an intensive moisturising experience, but is ideal as a luxurious everyday body lotion.

Just like the body wash, the body lotion is a pricey product that is nevertheless of very high quality. Despite the high price, I would consider purchasing a full-size version.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.07.2014 10:21

Advantages

• "Amazing build quality!"
      • "Built to *your* specs"

Disadvantages

Absolutely amazing value!!

24.07.2014 10:01

Advantages

• "One wipe goes a long way"
      • "Re-sealable packet"
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

• "Not the cheapest antibacterial wipes"

Creating freshness that lasts!

Before I left work to start my period of maternity leave, I was getting increasingly more paranoid about having my desk and computer surfaces clean and tidy. In my opinion, eating lunch at my desk most days and using my computer throughout the day meant that there was noticeable dust on every surface and I can only imagine the bacteria that thrived on my phone. Therefore I decided to buy a packet of wipes to solve the problem.

Dettol are a brand that I have long associated with producing quality antibacterial products thanks mainly to their convincing adverts. Therefore I opted for a packet of these surface wipes. The wipes were neatly packaged in a white envelope with the Dettol sword illustrating the front of the packet and these wipes promised to kill 99.9% of bacteria. Personally I liked the packaging of these wipes which I felt was clean and minimal with the mainly white packet and blue and green accents.

In my packet I received 36 wipes and I believe I paid around £2 for them from my local Asda making them around 6p per wipe which I didn’t think was bad value. Each wipe pulls out of the small envelope detail easily and the re-sealable opening means that the unused wipes are kept fresh inside the wrapper.

The wipes themselves are white in colour and are slightly larger than an average baby wipe which makes them perfect in my opinion for covering larger surfaces such as my work station. Each wipe has a clean and fresh scent and the wipes are noticeably wet to the touch meaning that they cover quite a large surface area, with one wipe being more than sufficient to do my entire desk, key board and telephone.

To use each wipe I like to ensure that the dirty surface is kept clear of clutter before taking a wipe and liberally wiping over all available surfaces. I find that a wipe glides easily over any flat surface and leaves a slight streak of cleaning residue which dries quickly leaving a shiny finish underneath. Although Dettol state that these wipes are odourless I can smell a hint of freshness after cleaning and personally I like this trait as I find it leaves my work area smelling fresh and clean.

Obviously I am unable to comment on the bacteria cleansing properties of these wipes without the necessary detection device however I am convinced that by using these wipes weekly on my desk it not only left it looking cleaner for longer but also made me more confident in knowing that my work environment was a germ free one.

Overall I have been impressed with these wipes and will certainly be buying more for my home when our baby finally makes an appearance. They are easy to use and clean surfaces well and with the added security that they remove germs there really is nothing to dislike in my opinion. As a result these wipes score an excellent five stars from me.

I hope this review has been of some help and thanks for reading! X

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.07.2014 09:43

Advantages

• "Built to *your* specs"
      • "Amazing build quality"

Disadvantages

Amazing quality, totally worth the money!

All I can say is WOW. I am so impressed with the speed, and the quality of my laptop that I got from PC Specialist! It is just amazing. I would completely and whole heartedly recommend this company to *anyone* looking to buy a custom built laptop!

24.07.2014 09:03

Advantages

• "Smells nice"
      • "Adds texture "

Disadvantages

• "Didn't give the amount of waves I had hoped for "

Adds texture but won't give you massive waves

I am in two minds when it comes to Toni & Guy hair products as some of the ones that I have tried have been amazing while others have been terrible and not worth the money.
      The sea salt texturizing spray is one of those things that I bought thinking that I would love the way it made my hair look as I always like the way my hair looks when I am on a beach holiday as I like that slightly wild and wavy look that the sea gives it.
      The spray is supposed to give light hold with natural movement and create texture. You use it either on dry or slightly damp hair. I found that it worked better when hair was slightly damp. I followed the direction by spraying it from the roots to the tips and then using my fingers to run it through my hair in hopes of getting a fabulously tousled look.
      I wouldn’t say that I got that fabulously tousled look but it did feel like it thickened my hair and gave it some soft waves. When I say waves they were very subtle but they were definitely there. I was hoping for a more pronounced effect but I suppose my hair wasn’t wavy enough naturally to get the big waves that I was looking for. It did help create a more causal beach look but the texture it gave didn’t look messy and I didn’t feel untidy with this in my hair. I wore it out more than a few times and always felt that my hair looked tidy with just some added texture and slight waves.
      It also stopped my hair from frizzing which is always an added bonus with any hair product. I also really liked the smell as it was really fresh and clean smelling in my hair.
      It also didn’t make my hair look greasy which is a huge bug bear of mine when it comes to hair care products. I want to be able to use something that doesn’t make my hair look as though I have dunked it in chip fat and this didn’t add any grease to my hair.
      This sells for 7.49 but like most things that I buy it was on offer at the time and Boot’s often have the Toni & Guy range on special offer so it can usually be bought cheaper. This was ok but I think it would be better on someone who had thicker and wavier hair as the effect would be much more pronounced and evident. On straight hair is will add some texture but it won’t create those fabulous waves you see on some people.

24.07.2014 08:47

Advantages

• "Does add shine"

Disadvantages

• "Hair needs washing the next day "
      • "Makes hair greasy if you use too much"

Good but nothing to rave about

My hair can be a bit lacklustre on its own so I like to apply products to it to give it a bit of extra oomph and add shine that doesn’t exist on its own.
      I’m always looking to try new products to find one that will give me the glamorous shine and body that I crave. I noticed the Toni & Guy shine spray in Boot’s when I was browsing and it sounded interesting so I bought myself some. It costs 7.49 but like most things that I buy it was on special offer at the time so it was cheaper.
      I have tried a few different Toni & Guy hair products before with mixed results. Some have been fantastic and some have been absolutely awful so I was hoping that this one would fall into the first category.
      The shine spray comes in a gold bottle and you use it by either spraying it evenly over your already blow dried hair and then brushing it through or by spraying it on towel dried hair and then blow drying it.
      This did a good job of adding extra shine to my hair but it did take some getting used to. It took me a couple of go’s before I found the right amount to add. Too much and it does make your hair greasy but if you spray the right amount on then it will give you the shine without the grease. One thing that I noticed though was that no matter how much I sprayed it could look fantastic that day but the next day my hair was much greasier than it would be normally and it needed to be washed so I only used this on days and nights when I knew that I had time to wash my hair the next day.
      The smell of this was quite nice and it kept my hair smelling fresh afterwards for a long time.
      I wouldn’t rave about this and probably wouldn’t buy it again as I have found other shine sprays that work better on my hair that don’t leave it greasy the next day but in fairness to this it does work and will add shine to your hair so long as you don’t overdo it and are prepared to wash it all out the next day.

• Tefal Actifry Deep Fryer / Deep Fryer / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      24.07.2014 08:29

Advantages

• "healthy food"

Disadvantages

• "A bit noisy "

Revolutionary cooking

The Tefal Actifry is a revolutionary way to cook food. We first bought the Actifry on a recommendation from a friend who had bought one. They had explained to us how good the machine was and how easy it was to use, so we did the usual and searched online for one. We bought ours for £80, a little expensive yes, but oh my god it is worth it. It is cheaper now.

Lets make one thing clear, this machine makes a deep fat fryer obsolete! This fryer cooks your food with just a drop of oil, making it so much healthier than deep frying it and the results are quite honestly outstanding.

We have always enjoyed home made chips but never used to have them much because of how bad they they are for you. This machine changes all of that. There are so many foods you can cook with this machine to list just a few:

Chips
      vegetables
      noodles
      sausages
      a whole host of meats
      desserts
      fish

You can even cook frozen chips with this machine which does an even better job than the oven does! This is an all around excellent machine.

Not only does the Actifry cook your food to perfection, it does not leave your food greasy which traditional frying does which is healthier and tastes so much better! The product has a steam free lid, which allows you to look in on your food whilst it is cooking too!

The only downside to this product is that it is a little noisy. This is only because it works in a way like no other, it "tumbles" your food, it works on a rotary belt which turns the food as it is cooking, so you have no need to stop and turn it over like you do in an oven which makes life even easier. If you ask me the noise is perfectly acceptable considering the machine is doing a fantastic job of cooking a whole host of foods in a way like no other.

The device is very easy to clean which is a plus side for everyone, unlike deep fat fryers which have a couple of pints of hot oil, this only uses a spoonful, so you do not need to wait forever for it to cool down, simply wipe it down after usage and your good to go on your next product. Please note, i would not advise using strong cleaning products on this! A friend of mine tried it and it ruined her machine! Worth taking note of that, you do not want to spend money on buying one if it is going to get ruined during cleaning!

All in all i think this is an essential piece of kit for any household. My tip is to use olive oil instead of sunflower oil. It is better for you and I find that it makes your food taste a whole lot better too.

24.07.2014 06:08

Advantages

Disadvantages

Makes running a lot easier

So I bought these because I wanted to really get into a proper fitness regime. I used to go for jogs but I never really had the appropriate footwear, which made me feel like I was not getting the best out of my workouts.

These are the first pair of running shoes that I have purchased so I cannot really compare them to anything else to say whether they are better or worse then my previous experiences. But what I can say is that they have really improved my workouts. I do not know if this will make sense but I feel that they make running feel a lot lighter. These trainers feel like they take the strain of my feet and make it a lot easier to go for a run. You do not get as tired and your feet/legs do not ache. This is great as it means that I do not feel demotivated to go for a run. They make me actually want to go for a run because it does not hurt as much! Also, the trainers have a mesh type material around them that have tiny air pockets to air out your feet. This means that your feet do not feel as sweaty and gross as they would without them. It feels nice because when you are running the cool air surrounds your feet making it less damp! It sounds strange but it feels nice!

I can not remember the exact price of these shoes but it was not too bad considering how good these shoes are!

24.07.2014 05:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good watch

I got this as a birthday present a couple of years back. At the time it was all the rage and I quite liked the design but never really wore it, I don't know why but I just did not!

The one I received was in dark purple because that is my favourite colour. I like the fact that this range of watches have such a variety of bright colours available that not many other brands offer. The colours that I have seen are green, orange, blue, yellow, red, black, white and that is all I can think of right now. I like this because it means there is something for everyone. You can have this watch in black and it would give you a completely different look to if you were to have it in red.

I know that these watches are quite expensive but I do not know the exact price of them. I like that the dials on these watches are clearly visible and the numbers are big enough for you to be able to tell the time. It may just look like a fashion accessory but it really does do its job in telling the time, unlike many other expensive watches.

The only downside to this watch for me was that they are quite bulky. What I mean by that is that you can really feel them on your wrist as they are quite heavy, not so heavy that they weigh you down but heavy enough to feel them there.

24.07.2014 05:25

Advantages

Disadvantages

Refreshing

I was really intrigued by this hand gel due to the fact that it was absinthe flavoured. It really interested me because it was not something that I would typically expect from a hand gel. I assumed that this gel was a hand wash type of thing but upon closer examination I understood that it was more of a hand sanitizer, which makes having the absinthe smell going on far more understandable.

The price of the bottle is actually £3.00 instead of £2.50 like this post suggests. The bottle is quite small but for such a good quality product I do not mind paying that price. Also, with The Body Shop they are such a trustworthy brand with great products that never fail to impress.

The size of the bottle makes it handy for transportation. You can easily place it in your bag without it taking up much space at all. This makes it very convenient as you never know when you will need to use it.

The smell of the hand gel is actually quite refreshing, it is strong but not so much that it will give you a headache. I, personally, really like it. Also, unlike some other sanitizer's this hand gel does not feel sticky. It makes your hands feel clean and fresh, rather than sticky and gross and worse than they were before! Also, I sometimes find that certain hand sanitizer's dry my hands out but this one does not, which is great because I do not have to carry a mini hand lotion.

A good product, would definitely recommend.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown