29.08.2015 19:59

Advantages

• "Multiplayer is good"
      • "Good Storyline"

Disadvantages

• "No difficulty settings"

The whole Assassins Creed franchise is very good and Black Flag is no exception with it being the 4th addition to the mainstream Assassins Creed series. The gameplay is quite good with good graphics although the characters could be more realistic. Assassins Creed offers free movement which is a very good asset although this feature can have its limitations as the game may interpret one button as another (which once in a while can be fustrating). Although it is a very good game with a good storyline and a good online multiplayer feature. There is no local miultiplayer feature although that is not really a big problem. Black Flag is based around the pirate era so the story is based on a pirate who pretends to be an assassin. He then persues both lives although his mind is focused on money and his wife who is waiting at home. There are many things that you are able to do in the game, like sailing a boat manually, fighting with boat (using the canons) and yh... The open world is extremely elaborate and "pretty", the graphic quality is suberb and this makes it an illusive experience. In conclusion, this is one of my favourite AC games to play, the quality and effort put into the making of the game is of high standard. However, the imagination and creativity of the story could be further extended. Would definitely reccomend to any xbox one fanatic. I would recomend this game to other people.

• Sony Xperia Z3 / Smartphone / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 19:37

Advantages

• "Good camera quality"
      • " clear display"
      • Bright
      • "Good battery life"
      • Speedy
      • "Good looking"

Disadvantages

• "Price is high right now"
      • "Can lose battery life with certain apps being installed "
      • "Can slow down with use / apps"

A good phone, but not without imperfections

As a long term customer with my current phone company, I was lucky enough to get this phone at a discounted price near the time it was released. It was a big leap from my old, battered and second-hand Z1 so from the very beginning I was pleased with it.

Firstly, it's a sleek, light phone, with smoothed corners which are reinforced in case of accidents. The back is almost mirrored with how shiny it is, and the screen is huge - but not too huge. With brightness on full, the display is absolutely amazing - it's crisp, clear, and bright, with vivid colours. It's sealed very well, meaning there's no leaking of light behind or on the sides of the screen.

It's a very quick phone, especially to begin with, though I've noticed it can slow down noticeably if you keep your phone packed with apps, photos, videos etc. so it's best to regularly clean out your files and apps. This also benefits the battery life as I've noticed some apps can mess around with battery life pretty badly. If you do this, and don't keep a lot of apps open however, the battery life is amazing - especially with the help of the STAMINA tools you can find in the settings.

The camera is also obviously worth mentioning. At 20.7 MP it's an amazing feat for a phone, but I've experienced slowing in time it takes to snap a picture as well as struggling to focus as I've used it more.

Regardless of its imperfections, the Xperia Z3 is a brilliant phone, with a strong camera, long battery life, and aesthetic design.

• Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips / Lip Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 19:14

Advantages

• "Great for daily use or deep moisturizing "
      • "Smells lovely"
      • Soothing
      • "Makes lips look healthy and soft"
      • "Beautiful slight tint"

Disadvantages

• "Packaging may not be ideal for some"

The best Vaseline lip product yet, with a beautiful scent and tint

As an avid lover of all things lipcare, over the years I've acquired all Vaseline lip products, from Original to Aloe Vera to this, and yet - this is my favourite.

Vaseline's Rosy Lips Lip Therapy is packaged in a small pink and white circular tin, similar to other Vaseline products, with the product name and brand on the front, and ingredients on the back. Personally, I don't like tubs of lip balm as I find them to be awkward to use (mostly because they're deep set tubs and I find rooting about in a tub to be a bit unhygienic and messy) but I compromise with Vaseline since it's a wider, shallow set tub.

The product inside is a pretty shade of reddy-pink, which smells really lovely while not being particularly overpowering in scent. This is quite a contrast to the more medicinal or petroleum smell of the blue, original Vaseline, while not being as powerful in scent as the cocoa butter Vaseline.

The tint of this lip balm is one of my favourite features, as I really love tinting lip balms, but often find them too be too red (e.g. Nivea's 'A Kiss of Cherry') or too faint to be noticeable. This tint, however, is the perfect space in between. It's a pretty shade of subtle pink, which enhances the natural colour of your lips rather than painting over them completely.

There's no real taste to this lip balm, as far as I've noticed.

Finally, the product works beautifully. I myself am a committer of the most heinous of crimes - I'm a lip chewer, so my lips don't have the easiest life. This product soothes and repairs them, while keeping them looking beautiful in the meantime! It's also great for everyday use, even if you don't experience chapped or chewed lips, since it's not too heavy or greasy.

29.08.2015 18:42

Advantages

• "Good for everyday moisturizing "
      • SPF15
      • "Does the job"

Disadvantages

• "Not so good for poorly cared for lips"

Great for gentle moisturizing, less so for bitten / badly chapped lips

In the depths of every single one of my handbags, backpacks, messenger bags, and purses, is a lip balm. I am a lip balm-aholic, and I never leave the house without one - or two! - with me. Every time I pop into a drugstore or a supermarket I end up leaving with another lip balm.

Similarly, I love Nivea products. I have a toner and moisturizer from them, as well as several of their other lip balms (surprise, surprise) - so it was inevitable I would acquire this lip balm eventually.

As someone with pale, almost translucent skin that always burns and never tans (curse you, genetics!) the SPF15 immediately appealed to me. I used this lip balm throughout the very sparse amount of sunny summer days England had this year, and while my nose, forehead and shoulders were victims to the burn, my lips remained free from it.

The smell of the product is difficult to describe. It has a mostly medicinal scent, so somewhat chemically, but there's a certain honey-like scent beneath it, which links into the taste as it is reminiscent of honey or vanilla.

The application is nice. It's not too thick, though it feels a bit thicker than some other lip balms, especially if you're used to the likes of Vaseline balms or Body Shop lip roll ons, which are far thinner. It's perfect to apply - lightly or heavily - but there is a catch. As aforementioned by other reviewers, if you have a habit of biting or chewing your lips, or experience some serious chapping or peeling, you might experience a touch of white sticking to your problem areas. If this is the case, I advise not using this balm until you've healed your lips, or exfoliated them.

However, if this isn't the case, it's a brilliant product that keeps your lips nicely moisturized and protected, especially in the summer.

29.08.2015 18:25

Advantages

• "Widely Available"
      • "Low Cost"

Disadvantages

• "Not Eco Friendly"
      • Painful

Cheap but not for the faint hearted

I have to admit that I bought these based upon the fact that I am a fan of Bic biros for doing note taking. I thought that if the company makes good pens it probably makes good razors too. Not very logical you might say and you would be right! I was very disappointed with my pack of 5 which I purchased for a pound.

The pack was easy to open and the blade protection cap came off easily from the first razor I decided to use. At that point it was so far so good for me in my experience of the razors. In actual use though OUCH. I am a slow and cautious shaver but even so I cut myself multiple times trying to do my legs. I tried these razors on skin with minor hair growth. I thought then that perhaps that they would work better on longer hair so I used one on my underarm after a period of what I will confess to be neglect on the shaving front. I still managed to nick myself because I needed to put quite a lot of pressure on the blade in order to really get rid of the last few bits of stubble "shadow". The razor I used for my two arms still had some cutting ability left on my finer leg hair but not much so this is not a very long lasting product. This brings me to say that of course these plastic razors are not a very environmentally friendly choice. I will be going back to my electric shaver which I was getting tired of having to replace the battery of. Disposable ones like the Bic ones would let me travel lighter though.

29.08.2015 18:19

Advantages

• "Moisturizing qualities"
      • "Good for using after shaving"
      • "Not overpowering "
      • "Reliable for keeping you smelling good"
      • "Unique and gorgeous smell"

Disadvantages

• "Can turn white if you spray too much or too close"

I've tried a lot in the past, but I always come back to Dove deodorant

First of all, this product is beautifully packaged. Though I buy the compressed tin since its the same amount in a smaller bottle, both are designed the same - the majority of the tin is white, with the Dove logo in dark blue, matching the squishy top you press beneath the lid.

The smell is divine, too, and perfect for anyone who - like me - hates fruity or flowery deodorants. It's difficult to describe the smell of this product; it's fresh, thats for sure, and almost reminds me of the smell of talc. It isn't overpowering, and doesn't change scent if it's put to the test, much unlike fruity or flowery deodorants which often become stuffy smelling when put to the test.

The product itself sticks up very well, even under pressure. I use the product throughout the whole year; from the iciness of winter, to the sweatiness of summer, this product never fails me! Though in summer I touch it up during the day for extra security, I am confident in saying it isn't 100% necessary as it holds up well.

One potential downside, however, is that I've noticed if you hold it too close or spray for too long, it can form a talc-y looking layer of flaky white, which is definitely not what you want! Under this too, I assume if you continue on with that layer of flaky white, you'll end up staining your clothing. But, it's easy to avoid this mistake by holding it a good distance away from your underarms and using a small amount at a time until you're happy with the amount.

Finally, the moisturizing qualities of this spray (with it being a quarter moisturizing cream and miracle-working Vitamin E) are definitely a notable feature, as for as long as I use this, I never experience drying, rashes, or itchiness of the skin on my underarms. It's even good to use after shaving, not causing any stinging or hurting like other more harsh deodorants - you are just left with silky smooth underarms and smelling divine!

• Tetley Green Tea with Lemon / Tea / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.08.2015 18:13

Advantages

• "Mild green tea "
      • "Good lemon flavour"
      • Refreshing

Disadvantages

• "None for me"

A refreshing and light flavoured green tea

I reluctantly tried a cup of green tea flavoured with lemon made by my mum, and surprised myself by actually enjoying it. She uses a fresh lemon to flavour her tea, and while I will do the same when I can, I don't always have some to hand. So when I saw Tetley offered some green tea bags ready flavoured with lemon, I thought they would be worth trying. I paid 1.75 in a local Londis for a box of 50 bags, 100g in total, and they cost about the same in Tesco.

Tetley promises they use the finest green tea with a selection taste tested 8 times before it gets the nod of approval. I have since tried green teas from PG Tips, Twinings and Waitrose own brand and all of them make similar claims about how special their blends are. To me they all taste much the same, so I would happily go for whatever one was on offer but as that is often Tetley, that is my usual brand of choice. Tetley are a member of the Ethical Tea partnership which is meant to improve the lives of tea workers and their environment which is good to know.

The brewing instructions suggest using almost boiled water and brewing the tea for 1-2 minutes before adding sugar or honey to taste if you like a sweeter flavour. I usually find that what puts me off flavoured and herbal teas is too weak a flavour so I tend to want to leave them brewing for the maximum suggested time, if not longer but I don't think that works so well with green tea. It can develop a bitterness after a while. Thankfully I think a couple of minutes is long enough for the flavour to develop this time. The box promises all natural ingredients and therefore flavourings, and I do think this has a great "proper lemon" taste as a result. It smells more zesty than it tastes, but I don't want to taste only lemon as I may as well have squash and not green tea! I think the tea and lemon combine beautifully, and together make a refreshing combination. Somehow this is much more thirst quenching drink for me than black tea and I find I can also drink more of it.

The best thing for me is whereas I can't bear "normal" tea without sugar or a substitute in, I never feel I need to sweeten this green tea.

I would recommend this as it is good value and pleasant tasting.

• Cadbury Fudge / Chocolate / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.08.2015 17:57

Advantages

• "Handbag Sized"
      • "Low Cost"

Disadvantages

• Addictive!
      • "High Sugar"

Delicious and versatile fudge bar.

I am not the world's biggest fudge fan so tried this only at the suggestion of a friend. I'm glad I did. This choc covered little fudge product is delicious, not overpoweringly sweet like most fudge I try but still sweet enough to be very pleasing.

The bar is only palmsize, very light weight but so full of flavour that it feels satisfying anyway.I have quite a small handbag and found I can easily sneak a Fudge bar in for easy on the go snacking but that's probably not good for my teeth. Unless you've made fudge yourself or take the trouble to read the product label you may not realise how much sugar there is in fudge. This little bar had as much as some other bars twice it's size. You can't make low sugar fudge so it is not a criticism to say about the sugar just an observation. The fact that the fudge sticks a bit to the teeth increases my caution a bit.

Apart from snacking I have found this product can be melted gently in a Bain Marie (heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water)with a little milk to make a fudge dessert sauce. One bar would make a one person serving. The product also freezes OK as I broke some up and froze some into some vanilla icecream. It has a nice smooth texture as bought and when used as an ingredient in recipes. So at 30p each in my local newsagent this bar is a real bargain. I should add that it's bright orange packaging is easy to open and get the bar out.

• The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.08.2015 17:54

Advantages

• "Good amount of product for a medium price-range body butter"
      • "Leaves skin feeling silky"
      • "Easy to apply"
      • "Lovely smell"

Disadvantages

• "Has a somewhat sickly-sweet undertone to the smell"
      • "Takes a while to sink in"

A genuinely beautiful product, perfect for deep moisturizing

Let me first say, I love the smell of coconut. All my in shower products are scented that way, including my scrub and body wash, so acquiring this product seemed like a brilliant idea - and I don't regret it.

First off, the product is around £12 when you look in the right places, and £12 for 200ml of good quality product is a bargain in my eyes. The packaging is a circular brown pot with a picture of a coconut in the middle, topped by the Body Shop logo.

The product itself is thick, pearly white cream with a thicker consistency than most standard moisturizers. The application is easy; just pop some in your hands and rub it into your skin in circular motions. As aforementioned in the weaknesses, this body butter takes a while to sink in, so more often than not I put it on before bed and allow it to soak in under my pajamas over night. This means I wake up to the products full effect, with silky soft skin wherever I use it. Since it's quite a heavy, or deep, moisturizing product, it's especially good for dryer patches of skin, including elbows and knees, and is amazing for keeping your skin in shape during the cold winters.

Finally, the smell. Upon applying it, it's absolutely gorgeous; it's sweet and genuine smelling, which can be difficult to find in artificially scented products. My only complaint with the smell is that I can't help but notice an almost sickly smell after applying the body butter, however this may just be me.

However, it's overall an absolutely must-have product if you seek silky soft skin and love the smell of coconut (though, if the latter doesn't apply, all of the Body Shop's other body butters seem to be equally brilliant and there is sure to be a scent that appeals to you).

29.08.2015 17:33

Advantages

• "Smells absolutely divine"
      • "Leaves skin insanely soft"
      • "Perfect for a skin treat"
      • "Perfect for dry or sensitive skin"

Disadvantages

• "Possibly disappointing to any lovers of LUSH's well-known water colouring bathbombs"

Not very eye-catching, but perfect for a dose of TLC!

In the current day, I have tried nearly every bath bomb LUSH has to offer (though, their stocklist is constantly changing and my purse struggles to keep up!) However, this bath bomb was the first I ever tried, and was one of many reasons I continued to become an avid fan of LUSH.

I absolutely adore sweet smells, so this vanilla bomb was perfect for me. It was smaller and a little cheaper than the others, too, so it was perfect for a first try - and I wasn't disappointed! On one hand, my bath wasn't brightly coloured, an effect most of LUSH's products have and the effect I desired.

But once I felt my skin, that downfall has been promptly thrown out of the window.

You see, this bath bomb has plenty of the miracle moisturiser cocoa butter in it, which basically means that when you get out of the bath (though, it was noticeable even when I was still in the gorgeously scented water) your skin feels and looks silky soft and supple. Out of all of LUSH's bath bombs, this one is my absolute go-to when my skin is in need of some TLC. However, it's definitely gentle enough to use even when your skin doesn't necessarily need it, without having to worry about greasiness.

The only downfall, perhaps, is the price, as £2.65 for a one use, small bath bomb may seem a little on the pricey side.

But, like all of LUSH's products, it is made entirely from natural ingredients and not tested on animals, so much like organic food, it has to be a bit more pricey. However, this means its a perfect treat for everyone - including all you vegans and animal lovers out there.

29.08.2015 17:08

Advantages

• "Amazing value for money"
      • "Easy on skin"
      • "Gentle scent"

Disadvantages

An affordable toner for all skin types

As someone who suffers with combination skin - aka, oily t-zone, mix of dry and normal patches on cheeks - finding a product which works for all parts of my skin isn't an easy feat. As someone who only recently discovered the brilliance of toners, this product was a godsend as it caught my eye down the skincare aisle.

For a couple of pounds, I thought, why not? And I'm so glad I picked it up.

This toner compliments all parts of my skin, whether oily, dry, or normal. It's really gentle on the dryer parts of my skin, while managing the more oily parts so I can go shine-free when applying makeup, or wearing none at all. It leaves my skin feeling silky soft, too, which is a bonus.

The bottle isn't particularly glamourous, but the flip top lid isnt easily breakable or flimsy which is ideal for everyday use (the last thing you need with a product you use regularly is for the lid to break off). The bottle is tinted blue, which makes the product look blue, but it comes out transparent on cotton pads. The smell is really lovely, with no horrible chemically undertones or overpowering fake fragrances.

I use it twice daily; once in the morning, before my serum and moisturiser, and once before I go to bed, and it has definitely contributed to the improvement of my skin (i.e. my pores have shrunk somewhat, I'm having less breakouts, my complexion is somewhat more even).

For as little as £3.48 just ask yourself - why not?

29.08.2015 16:22

Advantages

• "Long burning time"
      • "Gorgeous scent"
      • "Not overpowering"

Disadvantages

Overall, a beautifully sweet candle, perfect for anywhere, any time.

As an avid Yankee Candle fan, I'm always looking for the next big scent - and this is it.

While the vanilla isn't particularly obvious in the scent, its presence definitely sweetens the cherry smell the right amount, leaving the scent sweet and warm - but not too overpowering or sickly. Some candles are made for specific times of the year - like Yankee's Candy Cane Lane for winter, or Beach Holiday for summer - but this one is light enough to not overpower in summer, while being warm and homely enough to brighten up any dismal winter night.

The jar itself is simple and transparent, with a small sticker on the front with the brand, scent name and a small picture of some cherries. You can see the wax through the jar, and it's a beautiful deep red which - when melting - honestly resembles the gorgeous red of freshly picked cherries. The simplicity and beautiful colouring of the delicious smelling candle means it can be placed anywhere without looking out of place, which can be an issue with some of the more intricately designed candle holders.

I bought the biggest of the three sizes, which has an expected burn time of 150 hours, which is well worth the price, but the smaller sizes have equally impressive burn times if you want to test the candle before investing in a larger one. To keep the scent and elongate burn time, ensure to place the lid on straight after you've blown it out (but make sure it is definitely extinguished before doing so!)

29.08.2015 15:28

Advantages

• "Good price"
      • "Lovely flavour"

Disadvantages

Great tasting Earl Grey from Sainsbury's

I have always been a big fan of Earl Grey tea and really like Sainsbury's Taste the difference Tea Bags which retail at one pound fifty for a 125 gram 50 bag box. I like many brands of Earl Grey and very much like the Twinings range. However being on a budget always has me on the look out for more reasonably priced products and I find this taste the difference range of tea bags to be a good quality and lovely tasting brand.

I do not think that these tea bags are quite as aromatic as some brands but this suits me fine as I don't like the overly 'perfumed' taste that comes with some Earl Grey brands.

It states on the box that these Taste The Difference Earl Grey tea bags have black tea and Bergamot as the ingredients. I have noticed that some Earl Greys are also flavoured with lemon. I like to take my tea with lemon but it tastes really nice on its own too. I know some people like to add milk to their Earl Grey but I am not a fan of milk in either tea or coffee so this tea bag is perfect for me in that it has a nice light taste and can be enhanced with adding a slice of lemon.

As it is less expensive that Twinings and Clipper I tend to stick to Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Earl Grey as it suits me very well. I do not like overly strong tea of any kind and find that even though I do not leave the tea bag in water for long the taste is still good. A good tea at a reasonable price.

• Tikkers Childrens Watch TK0031 / Watch / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      29.08.2015 10:44

Advantages

• "Glows in the dark"
      • "Light and comfortable "
      • "Good design "

Perfect watch for boys

I am a big believer in teaching your kids the basics yourself before they get to school so that they don’t fall behind. Teaching my daughter to tell the time was so easy though it took a little bit longer for my son to grasp it completely.

Buying the kids a watch and making them wear it everyday is a great way to get them to learn to tell the time as it allows them to practise all the time whilst wearing one.

This is a great watch for a little boy as it is the ideal boys watch thanks to the design of the skull and crossbones and best of all it glows in the dark which not only looks cool but means that it is even easier to tell the time.

The watch is quite cheap at just under £10 but considering it is cheap it is fairly robust which is exactly what you want with a child’s watch because kids (especially mine) aren’t known for being careful with things and this can take a lot of knocks and still stay in one piece. Children’s watches can be a bit flimsy usually but not this one.

It has a rubber strap which makes it comfortable to wear and it is very light so that it won’t be annoying for a child to wear. My son says he doesn’t even notice this when it is on his wrist.
      It can be tightened or loosened accordingly depending on how large your child’s wrist is so can go through with them even when they have a bit of a growth spurt.

Overall this is a fairly good watch for a child to wear as it has a cool design and the glow in the dark is a nice feature and most importantly it is also really hardwearing.

29.08.2015 09:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

Comfy and Cheap Knickers!

I recently wanted to shop for some new lingerie and decided I just wanted something basic and comfortable. Although I usually get the majority of my underwear from M&S I had a voucher for Asda's George online and wanted to spend it. I have shopped at Asda in the past for underwear and had different experiences. I tend to find their sizes are not consistent and I normally take a size up in their knickers to what I do in every other store. After looking through the Asda knicker collection on their website I found this four pack of white brief shorts. They were only £4 for the pack which I thought was a great price so I purchased them.

As mentioned I have found that when I buy underwear from Asda I always have to get a size larger than my actual size. This was the case with these briefs. They have the standard sizing chart such as 10, 12, 14 etc. I bought a size up (a 12 instead of a 10) and they fit me perfectly. I'd advise others to be aware that the standard sizing might be different from other underwear suppliers.

These knickers are designed to sit quite low on the hips and to cover a lot of skin on the side of your hips. They sit on the top of your thigh and don't have any cutting curves but seem to sit on the shape of your body. They have a sooth elasticated top and strong stitching around the hem and gusset. They feel comfortable and breathable. They are a pack of pure white cotton knickers. You can actually buy packs of the same shape knickers in both black/white mix and a colour mix.

These are machine washable and seem to be holding up well to wear and washing. In the past I've had George underwear that hasn't lasted long and which has started to come apart very quickly. However, I think the quality of these knickers is quite good and I expect them to last for a while! I would definitely consider purchasing from Asda again following this purchase.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown