27.04.2015 11:20

Advantages

• "does freshen breath"

Disadvantages

• expensive

The Sahara effect

I was not that excited when my April Look Fantastic box landed and within was a hair putty I won't use, a bar of soap (wow-ee), some diet pills, a hand and body wash by Balance me and a small 50ml pot of this mouthwash. I remembered the advert for this, a man who can't get a girl because his breath stinks until he starts using this product.

It sat still a while
      I put it on the bathroom shelf thinking I would get around to using this but I kept ignoring it for weeks as in my head it was a product for men (I know that is a nonsense but that is what my brain was telling me).

Then I tried it
      I am doing a trial on a toothpaste at the moment and the toothpaste is amazing, stain removing but not strong tasting and two cups of coffee in the morning were giving me that awful teacher breath (no offence teachers...).

In use
      I just swilled around the 10 ml as advise, couldn't gargle like they wanted as I always think I'm choking when I gargle. Spit it out and then OMG my mouth felt like a desert with all the moisture sucked out of it. I spent a few minutes wondering what the hell? It had a light minty menthol taste to it so that wasn't bad but I have no idea what ingredient made me go dry like that!

Afterwards
      I did notice a fresh mouth for many hours after. The bottle promises 12 hours but I think eating takes it toll out of it.

Price
      This is £15 for a 250 ml bottle but if you like it a lot you can buy it by the litre for £44.

Final word
      I don't think I will buy this again because of the Sahara effect - I just prefer normal mouth wash. But if you have bad breath issues you might want to give it a try.

• Dentyl PH Clove Mouthwash / Oral Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      27.04.2015 10:54

Advantages

• "very clean feeling"

Disadvantages

• none

Get the cloves in to keep the vampires away? Wait... that's not right!

I picked up a travel sized bottle of Dentyl Clove mouthwash to try from Boots. It was under a pound and I was curious about how the clove would taste plus I always wondered about that two coloured liquid which separates itself inside the bottle - how the heck does that work then?!

In use
      I just swigged a small bit out of the little bottle, don't worry, it was only me using it and no one else so I can get away with this terrible habit as no one is watching and it hurts no one! I am not one for gargling as I am scared I'll choke or swallow it so I just swished it around my mouth a bit.

Taste
      It actually tastes quite nice. I won't be scared of clove any more. I think I was expecting it to taste heavily of garlic, not something you want to smell of first thing in the morning eh? But I think I mixed up my cloves there!

Price
      This is a very reasonably priced mouth wash priced £1.20 for a bottle sized 100ml in Superdrug at the moment.

My thoughts
      I would actually buy this again without hesitation as it worked really well for me. It tasted OK and left my mouth feeling nice and clean, everything I want from a mouth wash in fact. I used this morning and night and suffered no ill effects from the product so I am happy to recommend it to others.

27.04.2015 10:46

Advantages

• "good on dark colours"

Disadvantages

• "not necessary..."

Get it right with this pen

I received the Rituals nail polish corrector in a beauty box last year and whilst I am a keen nail painter, this product was not something I owned previously or felt that I particularly needed.

What is it?
      A little pen with a hard applicator that becomes soaked in nail polish remover from the barrel of the pen when you are ready to use it. You just 'draw' away the nail polish mistakes (usually from your skin or cuticles) and it removes it. There are spare tips in the end of the pen so you can change them when they become soiled.

My thoughts
      I have used this pen a few times but quite honestly I forget that I have it most of the time. It can be used for mistakes but also, it is good for tidying up the tips of a French polish if you do the white bit first on a naked nail. I like that you get the spare tips, it makes the nail polish remover pen last a bit longer but really you need to change them over often if you use the pen a lot and especially if you use it on dark colours. A few brands like Nails Inc have brought out something similar but I just wonder if they are any better than using a cotton bud soaked in remover. Obviously they are more travel friendly and require less faffing about and packing.

How much?
      These pens are £8 to buy on the Rituals website, it says they are currently sold out due to being a huge success! I think this is expensive for what they are.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      27.04.2015 10:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

I looked everywhere and PC Specialist can't be touched for value/power.

I am over the moon with my gaming PC! I paid £800 for an absolute gaming beast which would have cost £500+ more on the high street (I looked). I was worried about the time it would take from order to delivery but it actually took under a Week so I was pleased there. The PC was packaged safely and the foam insert was a nice touch, I like that PC Specialist really care about the condition my PC arrives in.

I did have a problem going through finance but changing to paying in full fixed that, the online support team were also helpful and put up with my confusing demands!

27.04.2015 10:38

Advantages

Disadvantages

DooYoo bought me this

DooYoo actually paid for my full sized pot of Ben Nye Powder with their Amazon vouchers! I am reviewing the Ben Nye Banana Powder which is more yellow than the neutral set but a similar product by the same makers.

I bought a couple of samples of this powder to try out before buying a massive jar of it, convinced that it is the loose powder for me. I've been using a primer and light bb cream on my skin but it felt like it needed something to seal in and brighten up my complexion. This powder was made famous by Kim Kardashian who absolutely loves it apparently! Whilst I'm not a massive fan of hers, her skin does look flawless so any recommendations from her I am interested to know about.

First impressions
      The jar is far from luxury, totally plastic and basic, there is nothing about this that makes it look special at all. The actual powder I have is quite yellow in colour hence it's name Banana but somehow it works well for most complexions.

In use
      Some people use this all over the face but it is most popular as an under eye setting powder for concealer and as a base to dust off any eyeshadow that should fall under the eye.

Application
      I use a brush to apply this product but you can also use a sponge to tap it on to the skin.

Price
      I paid £27.99 for a 3oz jar, knowing that this product was definitely for me! I think this jar will last me for around a year with daily use. I had two sample pots before which lasted a good amount of time but I decided it was time to take the plunge and buy a full sized container.

Final word
      I really like this product, it has been a bit of a breakthrough for me in terms of finding something you would not normally even try. I know that they do other colours in the range but for me the banana powder ticks all the boxes and I really recommend buying a sample to try if you think you might be interested as it will help you try the product without shelling out for the full expensive pot.

27.04.2015 10:33

Advantages

Disadvantages

• expensive

You got a lotta bottle

I was pleased to get a tube of this conditioner in the French "My Little Box" Beauty box a couple of months ago. The theme that month was superheroes so it was all things supposedly connected with that. I guess all superwomen have lovely luscious locks so that may have been the tenuous connection.

Like buses
      Then my mum's friend also gave me a tube of the same stuff (she buys My Little Box too) and she said she didn't even want to try it as she buys her shampoo and conditioner from her hairdresser.

All the more for me...
      That was fine by me! I really like this conditioner, it is thick and luxurious and a lovely treatment. I use mine once a week leaving it on the lengths and ends of my long hair for twenty minutes.

Results?
      My hair does seem a lot thicker these days, I don't know whether it's down to this conditioner but it doesn't seem to have done it any harm.

Price
      A 200ml bottle is £18.50 on the Kerastase website.

Final word
      I do think £20 is quite dear for a bottle of conditioner but I would also add that this is super stuff and I do seem to get better results from it than my normal conditioner which I pay £1 to £2 for usually. I like to use this as a treatment and feel lucky to have two big tubes of it to use which should last me a few months.

27.04.2015 09:19

Advantages

• "minerals and vitamins"

Disadvantages

• "price sometimes"

Amazing mineral skin care

In this story I want to share with you my impressions from mineral powders and minerals at all. My acquaintance with these cosmetic products has begun about two years ago. I decided to find something new and good for my skin look, some innovations, because I prefer natural and organic extracts. So then I've found what I was looking for on some mineral care sites. As it was a very large assortment of different American companies making mineral products, I have gotten about 4 pieces, small amounts of trial versions.
      What I have to say is that it really works, I mean these mineral powders, veils, eye shadows, concealers can make your skin look better,groomed, glamorous, and I am very glad that these results can be without harmful chemical components.As it were some small amounts, 1g, 5g, must state that it is a quite good size to wonder what product of these you really like. Besides, I have bought Green tea rejuvenation night powder for treatment of acne and redness.
      "Laura Mercier" powder is one of my favorite powders, it is universal cosmetic product with good loose texture and ingredients inside. When making purchases every girl has to choose her skin tone, for example it can be too dark tone if the skin tone is light. Maybe you should buy a little darker, so its texture can adapt to skin tone quicker. It contains SPF15 filter, so it helps prevent some sun irradiation during all the day, especially at summer. I think it's a good addition to our daily skin care.

27.04.2015 09:04

Advantages

• "Tasty and quick snack"

Disadvantages

• pricey

Quick and tasty snack

I first noticed these Uncle Ben's Rice Time pots on the shelves at Sainsbury's a while ago and thought that for what they were they were overpriced at £1.85. However when they came on offer at 2 for £2 I decided to try them.

I have tried most of the flavours but really like the Sweet and Sour variety. They come in 300g size pots and are so easy to prepare, peel back lids on both the rice and the sauce pots, put them side by side in the microwave and heat on full power for one and a half minutes (800w). I find the pot of sauce gets very hot and it is a bit tricky to pour the sauce into the rice pot to mix the two together, but there is just enough room to stir the ingredients well.

They are free from artificial colours and preservatives and for a ready meal they seem to be more healthy than some other products. The rice is nice and fluffy and the sauce is very tasty and a good consistency filled with peppers, pineapple and carrots.

The package states that there are 348 calories per serving and that it is suitable for vegetarians.

It is a good idea if you like this product to stock up when they are on offer as the shelf life is long. It is a great idea for a quick snack and tastes very good although I do not think that they are worth buying at full price.

It is quite filling and I sometimes have this for lunch and it makes a tasty quick meal which I shall continue to buy for as long as they retain the quality of this product.

• Apple iPhone 5S 32 GB / Smartphone / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      27.04.2015 09:03

Advantages

• Siri
      • Lightweight
      • "High Performance"

Disadvantages

• "No Memory Card Slot"
      • "Prone to signal errors"
      • Fragile

This is a perfect device for anyone wanting a stylish high performance mobile device.

The Apple iPhone 5s is a stylish, lightweight, high performance smartphone. This device is capable of handling most things you throw at it with the exception of actually throwing something at it! Capable of taking stunning photos and videos. Has more than enough room for all your albums via iTunes and has smooth clear sound while you listen. Quick access to all your favourite apps all can be downloaded via the apple app store. The devices can be extremely fragile one drop on the floor could result in a broken screen and sometimes loss of signal so it is essential if you purchase this device that you buy a protective case. Great device for anyone on the move and anyone who loves to socialise. You can access anything on your device with the help of your own personal assistant (Siri) enabling you to search the web, make calls and even type emails and messages all hands free. Has an exceptional quality camera on the front and back for all your photos and selfies. Speak to anyone of your iPhone friends anytime face to face via video chat on the iPhones facetime app. Want to learn something new you can with itunes u app avaliable on the iPhone device quick access whenever you like your choice. Like to game? The device has plenty capability for all your games be it 3d boxing to angry birds smooth running real time games. Or maybe you like to stream the device has very quick loading times so no waiting for buffering. Further more this device has something for everyone be it music, videos or games.

27.04.2015 08:43

Advantages

• "close shave"

Disadvantages

• none

A lovely, close, clean shave. Does it has to and leaves one feeling groomed!

The remington f5800 is certainly pricey for a shaver, but probably worth the money you pay out for it because it does the job..no use buying one of those cheap brands and having to scrape almost blunt blades across your bristly face umpteen times without even feeling smooth and clean afterwards!

I have also been a keen 'wet' shaver, and this is mainly owing to above fact, but I am by nature a lazy person who really can't be 'arsed' with the palaver of creaming up, getting that foam in my hair and other extremities, and then having to go over my face until my skin dries up and finally removing the remainder of the foam and cleaning out the sink!

The Remington,(I didn't buy the company) is possibly the best of the brand, and although I didn't check to see if there were even pricier shavers, I'd imagine you wouldn't need one anyway as this little number does all you would need perfectly well.
      It has those cutting/trimming tools which you of course need in case your sideburns get out of hand, it glides across your face smoothly owing to the shape and pivoting actions which then appear to leave your face actually bristle free without needing to rediscover those which used to be stubborn enough to remain!

Previous shavers have left my face feeling very dry and sometimes I've even been left with a slight burning sensation, but there is none of that nonsense with this Remington.

So, if you are prepared to fork out for quality you will be rewarded with a good, close shave, but don't forget to blow away those little bristly hairs from the in tray compartment afterwards!

27.04.2015 01:29

Advantages

Disadvantages

Somewhat protective, but too expensive for what it offers.

My uncle bought me an iPad for my birthday with this case - I'm not sure as to how much he purchased it for, but from the reviews I have read and the prices on Amazon/eBay, it seems as though it's too much for the quality.

It's made from a fairly supple material which is in between being sturdy and flexible. Whilst I find that it does its job of protecting my iPad, I've noticed that it picks up dirt really easily. This is a real nuisance - I have a tendency to front cover to the back (as you normally do), but I can be a little careless and sometimes I've placed it on a damp surface. The inner material, being made from a fabric, absorbs any water and it takes a while to dry unless I use a hair dryer on a gentle heat. It has also become a little 'fluffy' around the edge of the front cover, and I've not exactly used it much. I had the misfortune of my niece spilling a little oil onto the inside cover and even after I scrubbed it for a while to get rid of the oil, the residue kept being smeared onto the screen of the iPad when the case was closed. It's not the best stand either unless you place it on a solid surface - I regularly use it whilst on my bed and I can't prop it up without it falling back down at least half a dozen times.

27.04.2015 00:31

Advantages

Disadvantages

Luxurious, timeless and beautiful.

An elegant, luxurious and timeless perfume, Cinéma is my favourite perfume. I was first gifted this by my mother and didn't exactly appreciate the loveliness it exudes, but it's now my everyday perfume.

The bottle is reminiscent of something from the 50s era, with its golden tones and its cool, heavy glass casing. I have the perfume in all sizes available and they look so pretty sitting on my dressing table.

The perfume itself is beyond amazing - it's quite rightly described as something that is exciting, glamorous and flamboyant. It is both fruity and woody, due in part to its notes:

Top: almond blossom, clementine, cyclamen

Heart (middle): jasmine, peony, amaryllis

Base: benzoin, amber, musk, french vanilla.

I find that it has an exceptionally long staying power and what's so beautiful about it is that after a while the scent becomes woody and deep, releasing the scent of the musk, giving you a seductive and rich smell. It has a wonderful tendency to burst randomly as you move and linger, releasing its top notes. My female friends and colleagues always compliment me on how fresh I smell, and I've had a few male colleagues comment positively on the smell too.

A little definitely goes a long way with Cinêma, and for a luxury perfume its price is very reasonable. I've recommended it to many of my family members and friends and the majority of them now have their own bottle - during a gathering the air is heavily saturated with it and it's almost warming. It's such a feminine and timeless scent, and one which many people instantly fall in love with. It's almost romantic.

• Nailtiques Non-Acetone Remover / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      26.04.2015 23:48

Advantages

• "not too smelly"

Disadvantages

• "used a lot"

Removes quickly and fuss free

I got a mini bottle of the Nailtiques acetone free nail polish remover in a mini kit from the Look Fantastic website recently. The set was so good I bought it twice in fact! It was a good introduction to the brand which I now look out for online as I liked all three items in the kit.

In use
      The bottle was around 30 ml although you get a larger bottle if you just buy it on its own. I use this remover with cotton pads although I have since discovered some lint free removers on Amazon that work far better, use less remover liquid and do not leave any residue fluff on the nail. I drench a pad then wipe away from the nail to avoid rubbing polish in to the nail bed and getting it on my skin and cuticles.

Price
      It is easy to find this product online. A 173ml bottle is £5.53 on Beauty Bay.

My thoughts
      I did use a lot of this remover in one sitting, too much really but I didn't want to scrub, I just wanted the polish to slide off the nail easily. I didn't really mind using a lot but it meant my little bottle only lasted for a couple of manicures.

Handy for travel
      The smaller bottles are pretty useful when travelling so I will probably buy another pack with them in as I like the mystery polish you get in the pack plus a nail oil too.

Repeat purchase inevitable.

26.04.2015 23:41

Advantages

Disadvantages

A pricey, but lovely product.

I bought this for my mum as she had been complaining for a while that her eyes look awful and puffy (she's wrong, she's always beautiful). I wanted to buy something which would last a long time because my mother works long hours as a consultant in a hospital, and I was fortunate enough to have been able to buy this at £32 rather than the recommended retail price of £45+.

When she first applied the product she was amazed - commenting that her eyes instantly looked brighter and younger. The area of skin under her eyes looked radiant and blended in with her natural olive skin. She had complained that her eyes looked sallow - a common problem amongst people with olive skin) - but upon application she noticed that the shallowness had disappeared completely. She reported a cooling sensation when it was applied and used some near the end of her lips (on the cheek area) as its rich with blood vessels and the redness soon diminished. My mother has said that her colleagues are surprised by how awake and refreshed she looks during long night shifts and she credits this La Mer concealer. It does not cake on and gives her a fresh, youthful appearance.

I'm really happy that my mother loves this product: she has a lot more confidence. It is however, really expensive, and for such a great product I feel that it should be a little cheaper in order that it's accessible to more women.

26.04.2015 23:37

Advantages

• "nice smell"

Disadvantages

• "not enough grain"

I use this scrub in the tub

I found this tube of Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub in the 99p shop and knowing the brand to be basically good I thought I'd try it. I do like to exfoliate my skin in the bath and shower as it improves your circulation and general skin tone.

First Impressions
      This is a nice green tube with generous contents and is enough to last me a few weeks as I will exfoliate my face once or twice a week.

In use
      I found the grains in this scrub to be quite few and far apart although they felt quite big, like sugar grains so I could actually feel them working. I used an acorn sized blob to do my face and neck and upper chest area.

My thoughts
      I probably won't bother to buy this one again as it did not blow me away but I liked using it alongside my cleansing and toning and moisturising extensive routine. My face felt glowing afterwards, which is typical.

Price
      You can buy this all over many shops and online but I found my tube in the 99p shop which I like to browse for brands I know. I really can't complain about performance for the price paid!

Final word
      I like the smell of this product and it feels good on my skin. I just wish it had a few more grains in it to make more of a scrub. I would not seek this one out again but if I saw it for under a pound again I might just buy it. I do like the simple overall brand, there are lots of decent products in the range and they are always reasonably priced.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown