• Skullcandy INK'D / Headphones / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.07.2015 20:02

Advantages

• "Amazing sound "

Disadvantages

• "Very delicate "

Great quality

I received these skull candy earphones from a friend because I was starting a new job which involved a lot of traveling so some ear phones were the perfect present. I have been at my new job for 9 months now and the ear phones still work just like new! The sound is perfect and the volume automatically turns down when the song is really loud and it allows you to turn the volume back up again if you want to. Also only you can hear the music, I hate it when your on public transport or something like that and all you can hear is music coming from the person sat behind you because their too ignorant to take others into consideration so luckily I'm not one of those people with my skull candy ear phones. The design is very simple but I think its stylish and it almost adds a statement to your outfit. The ear phones are good for all times of the day and their not too bulky to carry round I'm your bag or pocket. I would highly recommend these ear phones to anyone who has a lot of time to spare when they might want to listen to music but they can't play it out loud and they don't want to buy ear phones every two weeks that are always breaking because these definitely won't break soon. The price of these ear phones is absolutely phenomenal and very reasonable for anyone who is on a budget and doesn't want to spend a lot.

• grooves-inc.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.07.2015 19:35

Advantages

• "excellent customer service"

Disadvantages

• none

good service

I have been a customer of Grooves for several years now and have always been pleased with their customer service. That's why I keep ordering from them.

• Yamaha MSR400 / Speaker / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.07.2015 19:27

Advantages

• "Phenomenal sound "
      • "Easy to use "

Disadvantages

• "Awkward to carry around "

Great speaker

I received this speaker as a gift from my friend as it was coming to summer and I wanted a speaker to take to places like the beach with me. First of all the speaker didn't arrive until it was almost autumn and it was too cold to go to the beach. Second of all when it eventually did arrive it took me at least half a day trying to figure out how to work the thing. But on a positive note when I eventually got it working the volume was very good and I suppose it will be good for any winter or Christmas party's I get invited to. I like the style of the speaker as it is very sleek and stylish. I have been able to use the speaker most days when I have been in my house cleaning up because I can just connect it to my phone and listen to the music of my phone on the speaker . I would recommend this speaker to someone who is good with technology and doesn't mind waiting a while for delivery. I especially like the volume of the speaker and how far the sound travels and it still sounds clear even if it's across the room. The speaker has lasted me a while which I am very extremely happy with as I've had a lot of speakers that don't last a long time which is very unfortunate and annoying. Great speaker, lasts long, battery life is good but delivery took a while.

• Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      06.07.2015 18:58

Advantages

• "Lovely fruity scent"
      • "Good range of shades for pale skin tones"
      • "Excellent price"

Disadvantages

Gives a super healthy and natural looking glow!

This is my favourite foundation and one that I have been using for a good few years now. I've tried so many different foundations over the years (including higher end brands like MAC, Benefit & Chanel) but for me, nothing has come close to this Bourjois Healthy Mix!

The foundation is quite low coverage, just slightly more than a tinted moisturiser. Don't let this put you off though as I myself by no means have perfect skin and this works great for me. I just dab a little concealer on any imperfections and then apply a light covering of this over the top and instantly my skin looks even and glowing. I feel like the foundation also really allows your skin to breathe, which is particularly important in the summer when you'd really rather not have anything on your face at all.

As it's a serum foundation, it does leave your skin looking slightly dewy. I really like the dewy look and find it makes me look/feel more awake but if you prefer matte skin then you will probably have more luck with a different foundation.

The scent of this foundation is really lovely and this is a real bonus for me as I find that a nice scent adds a bit of pep to my morning routine. It's a real fruity and feminine scent that is most definitely not overpowering and it is quite subtle. I think most people would appreciate the scent, but it's worth giving it a sniff in store first before purchasing just in case.

Shade wise, there is good variation to choose from, particularly for lighter skin tones. One thing I love about Bourjois is that they really cater to the pale skinned ladies like myself. I use the lightest shade (Vanille Clair) and it is an absolute perfect match.

Priced at just £11 and available from both Boots and Superdrug, this is such a great value for money product and most definitely worth a try if you're in the market for a new foundation.

06.07.2015 18:53

Advantages

• "Can wear to any occasion "
      • "Goes with anything "
      • Dainty
      • Stylish
      • Cute

Disadvantages

• "Difficult to get on and of "

Gorgeous charm

This stylish charm is absolutely adorable and to die for it is all that is in fashion right now and it is the most delightful present to give to friends or loved ones. The Clogau tree of life safety chain bead charm is very bold and beautiful and could catch anyone's attention. The charm goes with anything from sweat pants and leggings to a ball gown and court shoes. Anyone who wears the charm would look absolutely phenomenal and flawless. Receiving the charm as a present is absolutely breath taking . My fiancé got me the charm as a gift and I almost cried because its so beautiful, glamorous, radiant, shimmery and amazing in person. I love it so much i might even wear it on my wedding day I just can't get enough of it. Since wearing it I have had some amazing comments such as it brings a sparkle to my eyes and I really do seem happier when i wear it because it's from someone I love and i genuinely do love the charm. The charm is In pristine condition and it think the price is absolutely phenomenal, it could be passed down the family to younger generations or it could be passed over to a friend or loved one. A charm as beautiful as this doesn't come round this often so I was very pleased and I felt very lucky when I got mine. The charm could make anyone look and feel like a princess.

06.07.2015 18:35

Advantages

• "Good build quality"
      • "Excellent and complete cleaning kit"
      • "Super clean windows"
      • "Does exactly what it says on the box"

Disadvantages

• "Battery not replaceable"
      • "Lil pricey"

Every home needs one!

The Karcher window vac is probably the best household timesaving gadget I have used when cleaning or removing moisture condensation from windows.

Previously it used to be a real chore to clean windows, especially since I didn't want any mould and mildew growing and giving me any health issues.
      Now thanks to my investment in the Karcher window vac, I use less than a quarter of the time to clean my windows and remove moisture!

Inside the box you'll find the main vaccuum with 2 detachable heads of different sizes, a sprayer/ cloth, charger and that's simply all that's needed.

The sprayer/ cloth is used to wet and clean the window prior to any vaccuuming. While I have not used it as often as the vaccuum itself, I found that using a mixture of water, soap and window cleaner which really gives me sparkling results each and everytime.

The machine itself is quite light and easy to hokd and use. Any water sucked up by the machine is collected in a semi transparent container which you can easily open and pour away the waste water.

Of the two detachable heads, I find myself using the smaller head as its alot more effective at sucking up water than the bigger head. This is such a huge relief to the old days where I had to use alot of elbow grease to get vaguely similar results!

While all does seem good, I should also point out that sometimes you might still need a kitchen cloth to remove some of the water marks that the vaccuum leaves behind. DESPITE THIS SMALL NON ISSUE, the Karcher vac is a million times better than using cloth, a wiper, spray cleaner and elbow grease! (Unless you want to build your bisceps!...:) )

No more smearing and a lot less effort. It is so simple to do. You can clean a window in a fraction of the time.

The Karcher is not just for windows too. I use it on tiles, worktops, mirrors and shower cabinets, and each and every time its JOB DONE! Simple and effective, I believe that everyone home needs one!

• Bose QC15 / Headphones / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      06.07.2015 17:49

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great

This was the first time I've spent a lot of money on headphones and I wasn't disappointed. My main reason for buying Bose was the reviews praising the noise cancelling function of previous models. I used them for the first time on my long haul flight and was amazed at the near perfect noise cancelling. I could actually hear the in flight entertainment and the engine noise had been virtually eliminated. The only sound that does get through are vocals, but I only noticed this when I turned off whatever I was listening to. A real boon when your on a flight with the inevitable crying toddler!
      I found the headphones extremely comfortable and I had no problem wearing them for up th eight hours continiously. I have used them in various outdoor conditions and found the noise cancelling function works perfectly; even eliminating noise generated by strong winds.
      On the headphone cable you will find the remote controls for use when receiving calls on your iphone and for remotely controlling the music function. My one criticism was the way these buttons worked when changing tracks/ fast forwarding etc. Press the middle button once to pause and then again to resume. No problem. The other functions require to press the same button multiple times. If you loose count or do not press rapidly enough you inevitably select the wrong function. I gave up in the end and just operated the ipod locally. volume control used the standard two buttons which were no problem. I daresay you could master these buttons (similar to double clicking a computer mouse) but I found it a bit of a faff, especially if you have sausage fingers!
      The audio reproduction was excellent. I am not an expert when it comes to acoustics but I enjoyed whatever music or podcasts I played and the benefit of the noise cancelling was you didn't need to crank up the volume to hear it and thus suffered no distortion or damaged hearing.
      The headphones come in a stylish carry case. The headphones fold up neatly inside along with a spare battery holder and the airplane two pin adaptor jack. Externally there is a handy elasticated pocket which I found ideal to store my ipod. The AAA battery is quoted as lasting up to 35 hours when using the noise cancelling function. You can use the headphones without if you want as they do not require power to operate. I used the function almost every day for two weeks and the battery was still good at the end.
      In conclusion, a first class product that is expensive but worth the money if noise cancelling is a priority
      just to let you know dooyoos price is wrong

• Panasonic RP-HJE270EB / Headphones / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      06.07.2015 17:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

Superb buds for Superb price

first bought a pair of these ear buds after having spent nearly £10 at the pound shop on worthless, second-rate buds that lasted only a week (and probably damaged my hearing). I reckoned I would 'splash out' a little more and hopefully get something that wouldn't drive me insane within 7 days. I knew I wasn't going to get the most high-end equipment for a fiver, but I sure wasn't disappointed with these!

What a gem! I have had my pair for over a year and half now, used them nearly every day, and only now they broke. Fantastic sound quality throughout, really nice on the bass especially. While their shape will throw you off a little if you're not used to it, they actually fit very nicely into the ear and don't fall out. They also come with two swappable plastic rings which are different sizes, so if you don't like the fit you can switch to a smaller or bigger bud.

Now I should mention that I used these mainly at home. I did wind the cord around into a loop every time I put them away, but they spent practically their whole life on my bedside desk--so I'm not so sure if keeping them in your handbag or back pocket, and using them out and about will shorten their lifespan (I'd imagine it would). However, for £5 these earphones definitely have impressive durability.

Another thing I will say is that I know there are ear buds and proper headphones that produce far superior sound quality--so if you're a gamer or a movie buff looking for something slick to give your viewing experience that extra "wow" factor, you'll probably be disappointed. But that's really not what these babies were designed for.
      I'd say anyone who wants decent sound quality for a fair price, ear buds that won't need replacing after 7 days, and is on a tight budget should definitely go for these.

Having originally bought these on a student budget and student's needs (decent sound, lasts long, can be tucked away in my messenger bag) these were a true blessing and an investment I do not regret. So much so, that now my old pair is busted, I'm buying a second set!
      Rate

• Bose IE2 / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      06.07.2015 17:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Not perfect

There's no question that these are good quality headphones. They feel very well made, well designed (a cable that has just the right amount of flex, right-angled connector, etc.) and look pretty nice too. They come with SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE ear-tips, along with a nice carrying case.

The included 'StayHear' tips are extremely comfortable, probably the most comfortable in-ear headphones I've ever owned, and feel as though it'd take quite a lot in order to dislodge them from your ears.

The sound quality from the Bose units is excellent and I'm literally hearing things in music and video that I've never heard before with my old headphones (Sennheiser CX300s).

The ear tips, however, although extremely comfortable, do let in a surprising amount of external noise. I need my iPhone 5 at maximum volume in order to listen to music on the London Underground and even then, it's not as loud as I'd like it. If you're going to spend this amount of money, do yourself a favour and buy a pair of the 'StayHear+' ear-tips; they have a small, plastic flap which blocks out more external noise and they basically transform these headphones. I'm struggling to understand why Bose don't include them as standard.

• Skullcandy Fix / Headphones / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      06.07.2015 17:40

Advantages

Disadvantages

worth the price but not much more

I purchased these heaphones purely for use in the gym and on my way to and from the gym. However, my review features multiple aspects, not just gym-related comments.

Appearance/design

I have the black/chrome version and they look very sleek. Despite the chrome Skullcandy logo, these headphones aren't overly ostentatious. Personally, the lack of pretentious design is a positive but some may view this differently. The heaphone wire is longer than most, but it isn't a problem in day to day use if you tuck the wire under your top. The microphone and headphone controls are located in an adequate position. The volume controls only work on IOS devices (iPhone, iPod and iPad), but the microphone and pause and play controls also work with Android devices. One thing these heaphones are really great for is the fact they do not fall out of your ears. I have completed multiple gym, (mainly weights but some running), sessions with these earphones in and not once have they fallen out.

Sound Quality

I am a slight audiophile but I was willing to look past average audio quality for a low price tag. The sound quality is as you'd expect for a pair of heaphones of this price, just average. I was neither impressed or disappointed with the sound quality, it was exactly as I predicted. Unlike many other Skullcandy products, the bass isn't overpowering but it is still prominent. The mids and highs aren't at all spectacular but this comes at no shock. Overall, the sound quality is okay but not impressive. The quality is perfectly fine if audio quality isn't your main concern but being used to higher end products, I have to say it isn't great. Unfortunately, you won't find high quality audio on any headphones with a low end price tag.

In conclusion, for the price of £49.99, these heaphones are a good buy for both general use and gym use. Obviously these aren't for audiophiles but they are perfectly fine for the average customer.

• London Zoo / Theme Park / Zoo National / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      06.07.2015 17:24

Advantages

• "Animals seem well cared for "
      • "Well maintained and laid out"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

A Good Zoo

London Zoo was founded in the nineteenth century, originally as a scientific zoo, but was later opened to the public. A lot of the animals at that time came from the Royal menagerie at the Tower of London.

These days it is quite expensive to get in,but you can get a better deal by buying tickets on-line in advance, it is more expensive to go in summer, but as adult ticket is about £25, but it is a well laid out and maintained zoo, which can be a full day activity. There are lots of talks on during the day, as well as informative signage. The Zoo is located the far side of Regent's Park and is a good walk from the tube station (Regent's Park or Camden) or you can get a bus.

The range of animals are quite diverse and include a butterfly house, reptiles, bugs and a small aquarium alongside the usual lions, gorillas, giraffes and penguins.

On my last visit they had just had three Sumatran tiger cubs born, but unfortunately they didn't come out to play at the times we visited, although we did get to see their dad having a snooze and later prowling his modern enclosure before treat time. The Gorilla Kingdom was also very nice, and the male silverback enjoying his broccoli.

The penguins live at Penguin Beach, a new large enclosure, but I found that apart from the swimming ones, it was hard to get good pictures, as they stood too far from the viewing areas. I also like the raised giraffe platforms enabling you to see them at eye-level and get good photos.

There are lots of facilities such as cafes and drink stands, but these do add to the expense of the day. There is also an extensive gift shop.

If you like zoos, and are in the area, then I do recommend you pay a visit here if budgets allow.

• Panasonic SC-HTE180EB / PC Speaker / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      06.07.2015 14:21

Advantages

• "Wireless music streaming!"
      • "Sub woofer included"
      • "Good sound"
      • "Good asthetics"

Disadvantages

• "Can be pricey"
      • "No soundbar can compare to a good home theatre system"

A good sounding, space saving alternative to TV speakers

Firstly, I cannot understand why manufacturers cannot include great sounding speakers for their TVs here in the west. On numerous trips to Asia and the middle east I have seen similar TV's that have way better sounding speakers.

Now for anyone new to soundbars, they act as a bridging product between a full on home cinema system and normal TV speakers. By rule of thumb, TV speakers sound horrid and tinny. Additionally they are also cheaper and save on space when compared to a home cinema system.

Regarding my set up at home, I've gone for panasonic as I have a panasonic TV and generally found that their products last a while. I've connected the soundbar to the TV via an optical cable. In addition my SKY box and games consoles are connected to the TV itself via HDMI ports.

The good news is that the sound is significantly improved when compared to TV speakers. Its alot fuller, more bass and midrange and sounds alot more lively.

There is an option for surround sound on the soundbar, but from what I've heard it doesnt sound that much different from normal use. There are other sound modes available but what I find works best is the default sound setting.

There is also an option so customise the Sub-woofer bass level too.

A nice touch though is the ability to stream music wirelessly. Sometimes while I'm working in my living room on things, I can stream music from my phone via Bluetooth.

So as you can see, there isnt much detail that can be added to these sound bars. They are simple equipment that significantly improve sound when compared to TV speakers, but do not hold a candle to a proper home cinema system. In addition they are quite simple and basic to use. I'm pleased with my purchase but truth be told, I am considering investing in a proper home cinema system.

06.07.2015 12:41

Advantages

• "Does its job"
      • "Widely available"
      • "Excellent price"

Last all day :)

Back in my younger years, when perms were all the range, I used to get through lots of hairspray to create the perfect style, now I am a little older, I don't tend to use as much, just on nights out but I always like to have a bottle in the house.

The hairspray retails for around £1 a can and is widely available in most supermarkets, high street chemists and discount stores. I think the brand has been around for years as I always remember seeing a bottle on my mum’s dressing table in her bedroom when I was small. For your money, you get 330ml so it’s quite a decent size can too.

It comes in a pink aerosol which has white writing on the front, I must admit, it’s not the most attractive bottle on the shelf and I do think it has a slightly old style look to it but it does its job for a reasonable price. The canister is topped with a little button which dispenses the hairspray, a find the product comes out in a nice fine spry and doesn't 'clump' together.

There are a couple of different versions available such as Ultra-Hold, Conditioning Hold and this one, I prefer this as it does hold my hair in place better.

When on nights out, I will use the hairspray to keep my hair in place, sometimes adding to my roots to give a little more volume, I must admit, this does to a great job. After applying, my hair looks quite shiny and even better, it doesn't feel like cardboard. I have used this product from a young in age, back in the nineties when perms were in this was a god send and creating that all important ‘quiff’ at the front and it would stay in place all day long.

I have started to use this on my daughters hair as someone told me that head lice don't like hairspray (and being at that age now, it’s one thing I am dreading her bringing home) and its quite soft on her hair. At the end of the day, her ponytail is still intact and I find that the hairspray is really easy to brush out.

The hairspray has a nice subtle fragrance to it, slightly floral but not too overpowering, I also like the fact that it doesn't have that strong chemical scent that other brads sometimes have.

Overall, I would recommend this hairspray and give it 5 out of 5 stars.

06.07.2015 12:29

Advantages

• "Interesting characters"
      • "Light read"

Disadvantages

• "Not the best of its genre"

An OK Lightweight Read

Ralph’s Party is a novel by popular British author Lisa Jewell written some 20 years ago. It hasn't really dated other than the lack of mentions of various technologies that we nowadays take for granted.

Ralph and Smith decide to get a new flatmate in Jem. Jem has had a dream that she falls in love with one of the men who live in this flat, but which one will it be? Do we really care?
      At first I thought Jem seemed a bit unsound with her idea that she would live happily ever after in the flat, but actually she was quite likeable if a bit naïve, and the boys also had issues, and quite frankly sound like the sort of guys most sane women should avoid (one had a five year crush on an unattainable woman, the other liked to read his new flatmate’s diaries).

Along with these three we also meet their neighbours in the same block – long time couple Siobhan and Karl and aforementioned unattainable woman Cheri and we see parts of their lives too, and yes, they do all go to a party (eventually).

This is a lightweight ‘chick lit’ novel and whilst I quite enjoyed it, it didn't blow me away. It would be suitable for reading on holiday or a long journey as it doesn't require much concentration but there is enough happening to keep the reader engaged. The characters do have some depth to them, you get a feel for them as individuals, but there are no real plot strands other than the romantic ones.

• Cadbury Picnic / Chocolate / 6 Readings / 6 Ratings
      06.07.2015 12:28

Advantages

Disadvantages

A Tasty, Filling Chocolate Bar!

I recently tried this Cadbury Picnic bar despite thinking I might not enjoy it. I was put off a little bit by the fact that there are raisins in the bar but when I tried the bar I was pleased to find it an enjoyable experience and one I hope to enjoy again soon!

The Picnic bar is described by Cadbury as a "crunchy, chewy, fruity feast". The packaging gives a good idea of what you are getting with an illustration showing a burst of peanuts, raisins and caramel. The back of the wrapper is printed with product information which includes a list of full ingredients. Milk chocolate with caramel constitutes 30% of the ingredients with 13% peanuts, 10% crispy cereal and 7% of raisins. The product is marked as suitable for vegetarians. There is also a nutritional chart on the wrapper which tells me that per 48.4g (the size of the bar) there are 235 calories.

The bar itself looks like a long rice crispy cake with bits of nobbles sticking out all over. It has a thin milk chocolate shell under which is a layer of chewy caramel or toffee. This toffee is not too difficult to chew as it melts in the mouth quite quickly. Under this sticky layer there are crisped rice, raisins and dried peanuts and right in the core of the bar there seems to be a multi-layered wafer although this isn't mentioned in the description of the bar on the wrapper.

There actually aren't that many raisins, maybe only three or four per bar, so for me that's a good thing as I find them too sharp sometimes. However, the peanuts and rice crispies line the bar all the way along. The texture of the Picnic is very nice as you get so many different consistencies. The raisins are moist and thick whilst the peanuts are drier and more crumbly. The rice crispy pieces give a bit of a crunch and then melt away into the chocolate and toffee. The wafer is soft and squishy.The combined flavours are very pleasing!

This bar feels very filling and now that I know I enjoy it I would probably choose to eat this when I want something more substantial. I think it would be a good choice to eat whilst travelling as it seems to give me a lot of energy and pace to get through the day.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves confectionery. I think it's probably more of an adult sweet than for kids though.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown