• The Wolverine (DVD) / DVD / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.08.2014 01:26

Advantages

• "It's Wolverine - on his own - and having a very bad day. What's not to like?"

Disadvantages

• " but when it does..."
      • "A bit slow to get going"

Hugh Jackman IS the Wolverine!

The original X-Men trilogy was one of the most disappointing superhero franchises to ever hit the screen. It promised so much, yet delivered so little. Wolverine Origins, the first spin-off film, did its best to redeem this and partially succeeded, so it comes as no surprise then that that particular film now gets a sequel.
      Logan is a prisoner of war in WWII when he saves the life of a Japanese soldier. Years later, that same soldier has grow up to become a highly successful business man, but he is dying and his last wish is to speak to Logan and see him one last time.
      Still reeling from the death of Jean Grey, who died at his own hands in X-Men 3, and haunted by visions of her ghost (?), Logan reluctantly agrees to pay the old man a visit, but quickly finds himself over his head in trouble when someone steals his ability to heal.
      This is quite a silly film at times, and requires a certain fair amount of suspension of disbelief, but it is a lot of fun nonetheless. The first few scenes in Japan drag a little, but when it gets going, boy does it get going.
      As per usual with these films there is an after-credits sequence and this time (spoilers), the scene leads right into Days Of Future Past - the next big screen X-men adventure.
      Overall I found this a lot of fun. There's enough action to keep any decent comic book fan interested and Hugh Jackman as usual excels as the Canadian mutant with Adamantium claws.
      My favourite moments are the opening scenes - which show just how far Logan has fallen and demonstrate that, despite this, he still has his morals but, for me, the whole film is such an improvement on the original.
      It is said that there is due to be one more film in the series, before Jackman could well be hanging up his claws.
      Personally, judging from this, I look forward to it!

• Buried (DVD) / DVD / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.08.2014 01:11

Advantages

• " perfectly acted"
      • " brilliantly written"
      • "gripping plot"

Disadvantages

• "one man. In a box. Might not be for some."

One of the most well written films I have seen in a long while.

As a recently published writer myself, I have come to really appreciate good writing and in Buried, I was singularly impressed with the way the writers were able to carry off an almost two hour film with just the use of one single actor.
      When this was first released, it is fair to say I did not have high hopes for it. It is also fair to say it really did not pique my interest, but the other night, with nothing else on, I finally succumbed to watching it.
      Paul Conway is a truck driver in Iraq. The film opens with him waking up, trapped in a box, buried underground. The only thing in there with him, or so he at first believes, being a cell phone - apparently belonging to one of the terrorists who put him there. Over the course of several phone calls, eventually Paul manages to get hold of the American Embassy, who assure him they are doing their best to find him.
      But time is running out...and people keep putting him on hold.
      This is probably Ryan Reynolds best role to date and it is due in no small part to his capability as an actor that he is able to pull this off convincingly. At no point does the tension let up, so for the duration of the film, the viewer is left sitting on the edge of their seat.
      This is a very clever film that works on a number of levels. Not only is it a terse and gripping thriller, but it also has a lot to say about the war on terror, the affect this has on civilians working in such hostile environments and even manages to question just what makes a terrorist anyway.
      Though it won't be for some, I really really really enjoyed this and thought it one of the best and well written films I have seen to date!
      I would never have said initially that the plot would've worked, or that it would manage to hook me for so long.
      I am pleased to say I was wrong!

01.08.2014 00:45

Advantages

• " handy to carry around on days out"
      • "tastes great"

Disadvantages

• "sometimes difficult to open"

A great, quick way to eat yoghurt on the go

We bought these recently as a change for my daughter, as she had tried them round a friends house and loved them.I never thought she would, but what do i know?
      They come in a variety of flavours, but my daughter is a fan of the strawberry ones so those are the ones we tend to buy.
      You get 9 frube tubes in a box, which isn't a lot, and they cost £2 for a box, but my local supermarket is forever doing a deal and you can usually but two boxes for £3. This is a great deal as an alternative brand sells at £1 for 6.
      To open, you simply bite or cut the top of the tube, put in your mouth and squeeze for healthy, yoghurty goodness. The only thing you do have to watch is sometimes these spurt out everywhere resulting in a yoghurt related incident!
      These are great for carrying around as a snack as they take up no room at all in a bag and are far less bulky than carrying around more traditional yoghurts.
      They are a great source of calcium, healthy for you, contain no artificial sweeteners or colours, and can even be enjoyed by vegetarians!
      Another great use for them is to freeze them and use them as an ice lolly. This is especially a good idea in the hot summer we are having, and taste a little like a homemade version of one of those milk ice lollies we all used to enjoy as kids!
      My daughter loves them like this, but she is sometimes impatient to wait for them to freeze.
      Overall, these are a real big winner in my house and I fully recommend them. At the moment, they even contain codes for bonus Moshi Monster coins to be used online, so there has never been a better time to stop by and buy some

• Silver Slimming Tablets / Diet & Weight Loss / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.07.2014 23:59

Advantages

• "They do work if taken properly"
      • "Good for dieting"

Disadvantages

• "people stop eating"
      • "can aid malnutrition "
      • "not for everyone"

Good in moderation, take with caution.

I have very mixed opinions on these kind of pills, simply due to what they can do. i have seen many young women take these like sweets because they think that the more of these they take the more weight they will lose, this simply is not the case.

The idea of these tablets, is to speed up the metabolism, which helps people to lose weight combined with a balanced diet and regular exercise. Unfortunately many people abuse this kind of tablet and try to use it as a replacement for a meal, which is not the way to do it.

These particular tablets, my partner has taken a few times, and i know that these ones do work. Combined with a healthy lifestyle, these are very beneficial to aid losing weight.

Too many of these kinds of tablet are sugar pills, designed to make people think they are helping, and acting as a placebo, it should not be allowed at all.

In my opinion, people should set a target. They should not go at losing weight blindly, and just hope to get super thin overnight. It takes time, hard work and dedication. it does not mean buy tablets like these and stop eating, because that will only make your task harder, as well as leaving you feeling drained, tired all the time and basically unhealthy.

As a word of warning, before you start to take any diet pill, i suggest you speak to your doctor first, at least then you will be fully aware of the implications of taking them. they do work if taken properly, by speeding up your metabolism! My partner lost 8 pounds in three weeks, which is what she wanted to lose!

• Alba Full Stereo Headphones / Headphones / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.07.2014 23:35

Advantages

• "sounds good"
      • "great product"

Disadvantages

• "little tinny"

Good quality Headphones

Head phones have a number of different uses, which is what makes them so good. This set of head phones is made by the popular company Alba, who make many electronic products.

These head phones where the first we ever owned, we mainly purchased these due to them being so cheap. They were around ten pounds, which for head phones is very cheap, considering they can go anywhere up to £200 for one set of them.

They sound really good, but i find that with some songs, especially anything that sounds like rap music, it tends to sound a little tinny. It does not affect usage of them, but for those of you who enjoy that type of music these may not be the right choice for you.

I tend to watch television on the laptop with these when my partner is asleep, as she tends to shout when i have it on loud haha! The head phones tend to fit most standard sized jacks, so you can use them with Ipods, Iphone, laptops, televisions, most phones and mp3 players but to name a few. The head phones are in black, and are a wired pair, which i prefer to the ones that can be connected by wireless, i think they are much more reliable than them.

Overall, this is a really good set of first head phones. Anyone who has not tried head phones before, i suggest trying these out. They are cheap and very reliable. A good quality product that is suitable for everyone!

31.07.2014 22:43

Advantages

• "Variety of options "
      • "Quick n easy"
      • Convenient

Disadvantages

It was free this time but so nice will certainly go out and buy more.

I was given the chance to try the ristorante pizza free from dr Oetker and as we often order pizza I thought I would give them a try. I chose the mozzarella pizza for me and pepperoni for my two young sons. When I opened the packaging I thought they seemed a bit plain and they looked a little bit too thin so I wasn't expecting them to be very nice. I put them in a pre heated oven and pretty much straight away I could smell the lovely aromas. Just after ten minutes I took them out of the oven and cut both pizzas into eight slices. I put four slices of the mozzarella pizza on my plate and thought well now it's cooked it looked and smelled great. After the first bite I was hooked and before you know it my plate was empty. All I can say it was extremely tasty and I loved the mixture of mozzarella and herbs, it was very moreish so much in fact I sneaked back in the kitchen and ate the other half of the pizza . Even though it was very thin it was just the right type of crispy, I think I would also like thus pizza with a thick or filled crust. I didn't try the pepperoni as I have never been keen on the taste, so I asked the boys what they thought? My oldest son says it was very tasty and he would definitely try it again. My youngest son also enjoyed his share of the pizza his only complaint was that the pizza wasn't big enough. Guess next time will have to cook three pizzas one for each of us. Overall as a family we really loved these pizzas and we were pleasantly surprised by how tasty they were. Thank you Dr Oetker.

31.07.2014 22:00

Advantages

• "Amazing quality"

Disadvantages

• "expensive disks"

Amazing picture quality with Blu Ray!

Until quite recently i had never heard of a Blu Ray disk. I do not tend to keep up to date on the recent tech world, i try to stay with what i have, but it is hard to do so when everything is advertised so much!

I saw a Blu Ray on the television, and i was quite curious as to what it was. I watch a video on the web, and it seemed that these Blu Ray disks where high definition disks wit much better quality than DVD's. Me and my partner love to have our lazy days, and sit and watch films, so we thought to enhance our viewing experience, we would buy one of these Blu Ray players.

The picture quality is amazing! I did not think it would be that much different when i first bought it, but oh my, it really is. The quality of the picture gets better and better. We use it with our widescreen 3D television, so its amazing, it really is.

The only downfall is that the Blu Ray disks can be very expensive. I understand that the quality of the disks is much better, but in some cases they can charge up to £6 or £7 pounds more, compared to the DVD version, which for some people is way too much. In other cases the difference in price is only a pound or two, which you do not mind paying for the picture quality.

All in all though, if you have not got a Blu Ray player yet, i would suggest that you try one. Especially if you love films like we do!

31.07.2014 21:50

Advantages

• price
      • packaging
      • comfortability
      • looks
      • soundquality
      • strong

Disadvantages

• accesories
      • features

These headphones are amazing for the price!

comfortability 7/10
      The ear pads are so comfortable and soft they fit on your ear nicely .The headband is also nice and cushiony so it rest on your head nicely. Although there was one problem with them clamping your head a little too hard but I have got a big head so that may just be me.

sound quality 10/10
      The sound is so amazing on these pair of headphones. The bass in these headphone is perfect not too much not too little. They go to a perfect volume and vocals on these headphones sound great. These headphones make music more enjoyable.

looks 9/10
      These headphones have some beautiful leather on the ear cups and headband. They also have a very nice metal band holden the earpiece in place.

extra features 0/10
      There are no extra features with this product.

accessories 0/10
      there is pretty much no accessories.

packaging 7/10
      The packaging are really nice you can see the headphones through the see through plastic. It is also not that hard to open up the box unlike some other products.

price for performance 10/10
      These headphones are at a really cheap price considering the sound quality I would recommend these to anyone who wanted to buy a pair of mid ranged headphones. Also the durability is absolutely amazing so you probably arnt going to break them and buy a new pair any time soon.

durability 10/10
      This product has some really nice stitching on the leather so no fraying will happen on these headphones. The plastic band on the to is quite flexible so it won't snap any time soon and the earpiece is connected via aluminium so that won't break any time soon.

overall 6/10
      There is a lack of features and accessories/features but the headphones make up for it.

• Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X / Motherboard / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.07.2014 21:37

Advantages

Disadvantages

This is Best for Gamers

This motherboard comes with a unique color, with a myriad of features embedded in it with quality components and good quality built to support the high performance and durability. Its main advantage lies in yaang audio quality is very good compared to the product in its class because it has a special feature with audio noise guard, OP AMP can be enhanced, the use of pro Nichicon caps and gold plated hardware to its audio ports are also gold plated. In addition to audio, do not miss too high overclocking capabilities to improve system performance significantly. For enthusisast users and gamers who want a full-featured motherboard, this motherboard can be selected. Made by this gigabyte motherboard shortage is the lack of debug LEDs as OC essential as we encountered on the motherboard in its class.

Package completeness motherboard we think even this is still not complete, because although the configuration supports Crossfire, but Gigabyte does not include any Crossfire Bridge Connector. Regarding the price, although the existing products in our lab is a sample product and not sold freely in Indonesia, but we've got certainty of the Nusantara Jaya Technology as a distributor, on its retail price as mentioned above, so for those of you who want to feel the motherboard with AMD's latest socket, please wait for its products freely available in the Indonesian market, which we believe in the not too distant future.

Pros:

The built quality and good components.
      Interesting audio features, high audio quality and low noise
      Audio noise guard with a green LED
      High overclocking capability

Disadvantages:

Package completeness minimalist products
      The absence of essential debug LEDs as OC

31.07.2014 21:34

Advantages

• "it used to really suit my hair "

Disadvantages

• "I have problems in finding this now "

nice shampoo, shame I can't buy it any more

I would really like to know if Pantene have stopped making their Smooth and Sleek shampoo as I haven't been able to find this in the shops for the past year or so, which is a shame as I really used to love this shampoo ass it was a good all rounder and suitable for all of the family. I used to use this shampoo most days before I got my hair lightened. I used to pay about two pounds for the bottle and it came with a black flip top lid.

The shampoo itself was white in colour and fairly thick, as I remember. It smelled nice and fresh with a very delicate floral fragrance. It was certainly a shampoo which we all used a lot as a family and it made my hair look really lovely and used to help with my fly away ends. Husband used to use this shampoo as a body wash (as he does with most shampoos, if I am honest) and now he complains that don't buy it any more.

i do really like Pantene as a range and I am disappointed that I cannot locate this one any more so please someone if you see it in the shops, tell me if it is still available.

31.07.2014 21:13

Advantages

• "Great Fragrance"

Disadvantages

Dry Shampoo - Life Saver

Batiste dry shampoo is fantastic if you have very greasy hair like me, my hair ideally needs washing daily but dry shampoo allows me to skip a day without making me look like I haven’t washed my hair for a week.

Batiste is by far the best brand of dry shampoo I have used, the only downside especially if you have dark hair is that if you accidentally use to much you can get some white powdery residue on your roots. I find the best way to prevent this is by holding the can roughly 15 – 20cms from your roots and lightly spray while going along your roots and leaving for 30 seconds before rubbing it in and then brushing my hair to remove any residue. That way I can always use more if I need to without looking like I’ve been stood under a cloud of talc.

It’s long lasting and my hair still looks fresh when I get home from work in the evening. It’s also a life saver when I go on camping weekends, I find I can use the shampoo for two days, maybe three at a push before my hair starts to look like it needs to be washed.

Batiste have extended their range and now offer a variety of fragrances, the very cherry and tropical versions are by far my favourite. The smell is quite discreet, just enough fragrance for you to be able to smell for an hour or two after use.
      The product comes as a 200ml aerosol, each fragrance has its own funky design, the very cherry version is a pale green with red cherries, and it looks very similar to a hair spray.

I find that the 200mm can lasts me about 4 weeks but I do use it every other day. Its reasonable I picked it up for £2.99 at Superdrug, I often find that there a deals such as buy one get one free and two for £4 on the batiste range.

I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending this products its fantastic for women with a hectic life.

31.07.2014 20:03

Advantages

• "great taste"
      • sour
      • fizzy

Disadvantages

• "Full of sugar "

Tasty sweets, from a great company!

I have always enjoyed fizzy sweets, more than others, because i think they feel really nice on your tongue. Haribo Tangfastics have been a favorite of mine for quite some time. They are similar to the haribo star mix, but fizzy, which i love! The best part about these has got to be the cherries, they make Tangfastics what they are! However, you never seem to get enough cherries in the bad, especially when the kids have been at the bag before you have had a look in! Even if they have their own bag they like to steal my cherries haha!

Haribo is a hugely recognized company, with a brilliant story. Some companies stories i find to be fascinating, how they started out with very little and build there way up to the very top of their market is outstanding.

Haribo was officially registered as a company on the thirteenth of December, 1920, which makes the company over ninety years old! The starting capital was a sack of sugar, a marble block, a stool, a brick oven, a copper kettle and a roller. From there on he built his way to the very top. I think it is really special that, with only very limited resources, he built his way up from nothing. The company had now grown massively, and make millions in revenue each year, just on this type of sweet alone.

This is a brilliant sweet, and a great company to buy from, anyone with a sweet tooth probably already knows about Haribo already, i would be surprised if they did not! These are cheap to buy too. They are a quality product but if you look in the right places, they can be bought for just £1 per bag, or even less if you are lucky enough to find a multi buy deal!

31.07.2014 19:51

Advantages

• "Inventive play on words"
      • " offbeat humour"
      • Amusing

Disadvantages

• "Only funny in small doses"
      • "Some very dated references"

Lennon's thoughtfowl piece of work; amusing in small doses and rather dated

John Lennon was one of the most famous people of the 20th century. You don’t need me to tell you that he was a Liverpudlian singer-songwriter, peace activist, musician, and one of The Beatles, who spent the last few years of his life living in New York City and was shot dead by a fruitcake in 1980 at the age of 40. So I don’t need to mention it.

During the height of Beatlemania, he used to doodle or write short poems or nonsense stories and draw cartoonish pictures to pass the time. There must have been a good deal of time for Lennon, to pass away on tour, if only while they were waiting for screaming fans to leave them alone and go back home. Some of them were seen by Tom Maschler, the literary editor at Jonathan Cape at the time, who encouraged him to produce more. The results were published in two very successful short books in 1964 and 1965.

The drawings have something of the American humourist James Thurber (who had died in 1961) about them, though Lennon’s are rather more crude, while the writings are not that far removed from the likes of Lewis Carroll, Ogden Nash and Stanley Unwin. There is a kind of clever anarchic wordplay about his prose, a comic perversion of the English language, where people are invited to send in stabbed undressed envelopes, caramels escape from Wormy Scabs, and people's faces light up like boiling warts.

Why did Harassed MacMillion go golphing mit Bod Hobe? In one short story a character stud in front of the fire with a thoughtfowl face, smirking his pile, and casting an occasional gland at the massage. We find a very topical allusion for 1964; Azue orl gnome, Harassed Wilsod won the General Erection, with a very small marjorie over the Torchies, thus pudding the Laboring Partly back into powell after a large abcess. (The defeated outgoing Prime Minister was Sir Alice Doubtless-Whom, by the way). There is also a piece on 'Snore Wife and some Several Dwarfs', and a twelve-verse poem about 'The Fat Budgie'. I could quote endless more phrases or titles, but those little fragments ought to give you a pretty clear idea of the rest.

It's guaranteed to raise a chuckle at least, if you're in the right mood. But it might be best savoured in small doses. Humour is a very personal thing, and from what we know about Lennon as a personality, he was noted for quite an acerbic, even cruel sense of humour that was not universally appreciated, least of all by those who were on the receiving end, in his early days. Like those lavish Monty Python spin-off books that became all the rage a few years later, it's a rather acquired taste that is probably very much a product of its time. In the mid-60s the Beatles were tearing up the rules on popular culture and setting new boundaries themselves, and in a sense this book of writings was part of the process, even though the Lennon of the mid-60s is better remembered nowadays for songs like 'Nowhere Man', ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’ and 'Norwegian Wood' than these books. Even though, it should be remembered that his books have been regularly reissued in one volume by various publishers over the years, and has rarely if ever been out of print. As EMI Records will tell you, anything by Lennon has always been saleable, even compilations of demo tapes which he recorded for his own amusement and would probably have destroyed if he ever considered for a moment that anybody would release them.

They're amusing and a kind of period piece, and it goes without saying that the political allusions have dated it. Much the same could be said about the average issue of ‘Punch’ from the 19th century, though you’d be hard-pressed to find many people nowadays who would split their sides at their quaint Victorian wit.

If you're a fan of Lennon's musical work, I think you would enjoy this. Equally I can see it leaving many others cold. Obviously any artifact – be it the written word or anything else – by one of the four most famous men in the world in 1964 was manna from heaven to any publisher at that time and was guaranteed to fly out of the shops on arrival. But would these pieces have readily found their way into print had they been written by a complete unknown? Possibly not. And I wonder what the more intense, peace-crusading Lennon of the early 1970s would have thought of his books by then. Some people may have thought that the ‘new John Lennon’ who in all seriousness advised people to send acorns to world leaders, stay in bed and grow their hair for peace (I think I’ve got that right, haven’t I), and issued long-playing records featuring 20 minutes of human heartbeat was even more funny.

At the risk of sounding cynical (and was he not a notorious cynic himself?), let us ask ourselves whether Lennon would have been proud of these literary contributions and the sideline he had secured himself as an author, or whether he would have looked back on them as puerile meanderings which managed to fool the great and the good reviewers in the broadsheets to great effect, in those heady days when any member of the Fab Four only had to cough to get a round of applause. That's up to you to decide.

• Haribo Star Mix / Sweets / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      31.07.2014 19:46

Advantages

• "Very tasty"

Disadvantages

• Addictive!
      • "Full of sugar"

Haribo star mix is original, and the best

I have enjoyed Haribo sweets since i can remember, but unlike when i was a child, there are many many sweets to choose from these days. Haribo have been around for years, which makes them a credible company in my eyes.

I have never been a fan of chocolate, so instead of being bought selection boxes at Christmas and Easter eggs for Easter, i was bought sweets instead, which is probably where my love for Haribo first started!

Haribo star mix has lots of different sweets in them, my favorite being the cola bottles! But in them you also have eggs, love hearts, jelly rings and teddy bears. Some of the stories with the jelly rings are very funny. I heard of one story, where a man wanted to marry his girlfriend, but could not afford a real ring, so he actually proposed in the middle of the street with a Haribo jelly ring! Very "sweet" story if you ask me haha! On a positive note she said yes, which is wonderful.

Haribo star mix is available to buy from thousands of shops such as garages, super markets, local news agents and many many more. Haribo offer a range of sizes too. These are available in fun size bags, so kids can have a small packet instead of eating a huge bag, or they come in the standard size bad, which is the one we get.

For any sweet lover out there, who likes a great tasty treat, these should be on the list. I think there original, and the best!

31.07.2014 19:44

Advantages

• "Healthier hair"
      • "Helps with split ends"

Disadvantages

Excellent all round shampoo for thin, fine hair.

I'm quite a big fan of L'Oreal Elvive shampoos and conditioners and my previous shampoo was the Full Restore 5. It was great but I wanted something that catered more to my dry and almost brittle hair which was quite thin, and make it look thicker.

I chose to try out the Triple Resist Reinforcing Shampoo and its counterpart conditioner because I felt that it would be the best product to protect my hair from damage and make it healthier.

I'm glad to say I was not wrong. As well as nourishing my hair, it almosts seals it which I've found reduces the damage caused by blow drying and straightening/curling. I've also noticed that my hair doesn't fall out as much when brushing and my split ends are significantly less noticeable.

After using this shampoo, my hair feels soft to the touch and looks visibly brighter. It has more movement and just has an overall healthier look which is great for my thin hair. I've found this product to be reliable unlike other shampoos and conditioners which may lose their effect after consistent use buy this particular product always leaves my hair feeling and looking more healthy.

I normally purchase haircare products from BodyCare as big brands are discounted compared to supermarket prices, however supermarkets will also have occasional offers. For just a few quid a bottle, the product will last quite long even if you wash your hair often, therefore it is good value for your money.

I can see myself using this product for the foreseeable future as it ticks all the boxes and seems to be the perfect match for my hair. I would definitely recommend this product, especially to those who have fine, thin hair which tends to damage easily.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown