03.09.2014 01:23

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great tanning product- even for pale skin!

I am a huge fan of this product! As someone who was used to gradual tan moisturizers rather than mousse, I was a little skeptical before trying this out. I didn't know what I was missing! This is the perfect gradual tan product for a number of reasons.

The first thing I love about St tropez tanning products is the smell. Say goodbye to smelling like biscuits and say hello to smelling fresh and subtle. The product itself has a nice soft scent which lasts, I find, about an hour on the skin then becomes completely unnoticeable so you can get away with pretending that bronzed look is all natural.

The mousse is clear so it is important to make sure that you go over each area a few times to ensure it is everywhere. No matter how much mousse you put on one area it will all develop to the same colour so there is no strange patchiness or streaking.

Even though this is a gradual tan it still has a developing time so I found that 4 hours after applying I was already noticing a golden glow to my skin. It was in no way orange and instead the perfect bronze colour to look natural. As I am pale, I had achieved my ideal colour after only 2 applications. I simply topped up every second day to keep it looking fresh. As the mousse works by reacting with the skin, It didn't dye my clothes or sheets orange which was a lovely surprise!

I found that with this tan I never had dreaded orange hands. I used a tanning mitt to apply the mousse and used the leftover from a pump to rub onto my hands. Thankfully it looked extremely natural!

I would definitely recommend st tropez gradual tan mousse for anyone seeking a natural looking tan.

03.09.2014 00:45

Advantages

Disadvantages

Gorgeous brush!

The real techniques stippling brush was the first makeup brush I ever bought when getting into makeup and it's still a favourite of mine. It was created by the amazing Sam Chapman from Youtube's pixiwoo. Sam, having studied makeup and become a makeup artist, obviously knows a thing or two about how to get the best makeup application and produces these excellent brushes as a result.

The brush feels like it is very nice quality and feels heavy rather than cheaply made. It can stand upright due to its wider bottom which may be useful to some people. The bright pink handle makes this brush look stunning in anyone's collection. As for quality of the bristles, I haven't experienced any shedding so far since I purchased it.

This brush is so easy to wash as the product comes straight off with no hassle! something I absolutely love is that the bristles always return to white even after using bright pink blush. It always looks and feels brand new after I wash it even though I have had it almost 2 years.

This particular brush can be used for liquids, creams and powders to give a flawless, seemless look. I love using this brush for liquid foundation and find that dabbing the product onto my face then blending in circular motions gives a beautiful airbrushed look to my skin. I also find this brush blends cream blush nicely onto my cheeks, leaving it streak-free and evenly applied.

I purchased this brush for £11 from amazon and usually see this for around £12 in superdrug and boots. In my opinion it is excellent value for money. I can't recommend real techniques and this brush enough!

• Sleek i Divine Original Palette / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      02.09.2014 23:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

Great quality eye shadows that are very affordable!

Sleek eye shadows are by far some of the best eye shadows I have ever tried and the fact they are so affordable makes them even better. They have a wide range of palettes ranging from bright colours to neutral colours and I particularly love this original palette for its nice mixture.

The quality of the packaging first off is amazing! It feels very sturdy and has a huge mirror across the inside of the lid. I love that this palette clicks securely shut so there's no worrying about it opening in your handbag/makeup bag! The applicator that comes with the palette isn't great but lets be honest, are they ever? It's the quality of the eye shadows that counts.

The eye shadows in this palette are buttery and blend beautifully. Most of the colours are extremely pigmented and transfer well to the eye lid. The lighter colours aren't quite as pigmented as the rest but still look beautiful on the lid.

I rarely experience any fall out with these eye shadows, even with black!

The lighter neutral colours are great for day time looks and can be vamped up for night time with the deeper blues, greens and purples in this palette. This makes this palette such a staple as you can carry it with you all day and be ready to switch up your look. All of the colours are shimmery, helping to draw attention to your eyes while opening them up and making them appear more open.

These eye shadows are quite long lasting and last all day with an eye shadow primer. Unlike some other eye shadows, these don't smudge under the eyes during the course of the day.

I would recommend this palette and look forward to trying out other palettes from sleek

02.09.2014 23:37

Advantages

• "Make lots of transfers"
      • "Free game"

Disadvantages

• "Low status game"
      • "No prizes"

Fantasy Football for beginners

Its fantasy football time and with international football week upon us it’s the first breather of the season as a dramatic transfer window closes. I’m doing four, free games this season with various news websites. In the old days you would do them in the printed newspapers, buy each team and then purchase the paper for the weekly results and scores, the point. That broadsheet papers like the Daily Telegraph got a lucrative print run from younger readers on Wednesday plus cash from the premium telephone line number you would call to make your transfers on. Going back before that we would actually post in the transfers to a PO Box! Needless to say it was cumbersome business and eventually evolved with the internet to be 100% online and interactive as it is now.

The gimmick now is to give away free teams to hook you in and then you get the chance to pay into the big game that doesn’t carry restrictions. I player Fantasy/Premierleague.com, the worlds biggest Premier League one and Prem games with the Daily Mirror, Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph and Yahoo, of course. I used to pay to play the Telegraph game in the 90s but professional players took it over and guys with 100 teams each would win all the weekly, monthly and end of season grand prizes. There is a website called Fiso.co.uk that solely deals with professional players of the many fantasy league games out there. When I found the site out and the fact they were winning everything I stopped paying. Its big money if you win the games and peaking at 50k in 2005 for the Sun Dream team.

Yahoo’s game differs from the main games in that there are no prizes on offer. It’s really one to play with your mates through the mini leagues and main game. Its not the best one out there guys. It’s unique in that you can change your whole team each week and no transfer restrictions. Player’s value swings dramatically in the game so if you dump on a popular player that has built up value through strong performances then you lose his current value, not the one you bought him at.

You have 100m to spend from day one but as soon as the game is up and running in July the players value is set by how many purchase them, before a ball is even kicked. So if you want to play get in early. For that 100 m you must pick 15 players (4 subs). As subs don’t come in automatically on a late injury its best to buy the cheapest ones and spend all your money on the pitch.

It’s easy to play and a neat colorful team page with all the stats you need to know. One issue is you can’t clearly tell if you have saved your team or not ready for the next week by the available display and buttons.

• Sleek Face Contour Kit / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      02.09.2014 23:10

Advantages

• "great for pale skin"
      • "good value for money"
      • "highly pigmented"

Disadvantages

Amazing 2 in 1 product for defining your features!

I love everything about this contour kit! Starting of with the packaging, it comes in a cute little box containing the contour palette and an instruction booklet showing you how to use the product. Very helpful for those who haven't experimented with contouring and highlighting before. The actual palette is very sleek(ha!) and sturdy. It does not feel cheaply made at all. As for the amount of product, there is a decent amount of both contour powder and highlighter in just the right proportion so that they last as long as each other. My kit has only just hit pan a whole year and 2 months after purchase- with almost daily use!

As for the actual product. The contour powder is matte and an excellent colour for pale to medium skin. It blends out like a dream and is highly pigmented. You only need the tiniest bit of this product to give the look of beautifully sculpted out cheek bones and defined features. I like to blend out this product into the hollows of my cheeks, around my temples and down the sides of my nose. It sculpts out these areas without looking muddy or orange and just leaves a natural looking shadow.

Now for the other half- the highlighter. By far one of the best highlighters I have ever used. It leaves a pearly shimmer to the skin and reflects the sun beautifully to give a glowing look. It looks gorgeous on top of the cheek bones, on the cupids bow, down the nose- all the highest points of the face. Also blends nicely into the skin or on top of foundation.

At around £6 this contour kit is excellent value for money and I would definitely recommend it.

02.09.2014 23:02

Advantages

• "Purer Water"

Disadvantages

• "Filters only last a month"
      • "Cost of filters"

An effective way to improve water quality

The water in my area is super hard and contains a lot of chlorine and therefore is not very pleasant to drink. It also means that the kettle quickly builds up with calcium deposits. The filter enables water to be drunk more pleasurably and deposits in the kettle are reduced. It works by placing a charcoal filter encased in plastic which is placed in the jug and water is poured through the filter helping to remove impurities. Regretably the filters only last one month which is not long and they recommend it should be cleaned prior to replacing the filter, also the jug needs to filled and emptied before use therefore the replacement process makes it another small household operation. Actually I only change the filter every two months or can taste the difference so do not be under the illusion that you must change it every month. Do be careful where you purchase the filters as it is very easy to overpay, you should typically look to pay about £2.50 per filter. It is effective in improving the taste but does take 5 minutes from fully filling the resevoir to being able to pour the entire contents. Therefore if you are in rush this may prove rather inconvient. It also means you have to plan in advance if you want a lot of water to fill a kettle or a pan. At about £10- £15 to buy it makes a sound investment as the water quality is improved and reduced build up in the kettle.

02.09.2014 22:34

Advantages

• "Good price"
      • "Widely available"
      • "Easy to use"

Disadvantages

A nice and simple way diet to follow

The tin looks a little smaller than a tin of formula milk, it is mainly red in colour with a splash of vanilla milkshake to indicate the flavour. The lid is also red and has a rubbery feel to it, underneath this is a silver ring top lid which is easily removed to reveal the powder. The powder is quite fine, but does have some larger speckled grains inside and has a nice vanilla aroma. Inside the tin is a small clear plastic scoop when enables me to measure how much powder I am using.

To make the shakes, you simply add two level scoops of the powder to 250ml of skimmed milk, whisk and then its ready to drink. I actually use a Biggest Loser shake bottle to make mine up in so I just add the milk and powder to this, give it a shake for around 20 seconds and then its ready. I find this method a lot less effort, less time consuming and also makes the drink froth up really nicely to make it taste really thick. According to Slimfast, each shake contains 217 calories when made up using skimmed milk (which is recommended), which is designed to give me one third of my daily intake. I actually use just under two scoops (only slightly) as I find the shakes are too rich if using the recommended amount.

The SlimFast plan is really easy to follow; you simply have a shake for breakfast and lunch, followed by a healthy evening meal of less than 600 calories. Throughout the day, you can also have 2 healthy snacks (such as fruit) or SlimFast do offer their own range of bars, crisps etc which you can eat instead, I tend to have fruit as I do find SlimFast snacks are a little on the pricey side.

Surprisingly, the shakes do actually fill me up and having one for breakfast and lunch keeps me going until my evening meal. More importantly, they are actually quite nice, there is no doubting that it is vanilla flavour, they taste just like a shop brought milkshake, if not even nicer. Unlike other diets I have followed in the past, I find this one is quite good on the purse too, because a tin lasts me around a week, although I have to factor in the cost of milk, each meal costs me around 50p each which I think is excellent.

The main thing I would say about this is that if you stick to it, it works and I find the simplicity easy to follow which is why I really like it.

02.09.2014 22:26

Advantages

• "great price"
      • "nice dewy finish"

Disadvantages

Best drugstore foundation for glowing skin!

This foundation is an absolute favourite of mine because of its beautiful dewy finish. It leaves the skin looking refreshed and awake- just like the name suggests! It has a decent colour range and I found ivory to be the closest match to my pale skin. It isn't orange at all which is always important!

It does contain shimmer which gives a beautiful radiant finish without looking like glitter on your face. Its consistency is quite thick and very creamy which I love as it feels amazing on the skin. It is extremely moisturizing and I never have a problem with it clinging to dry patches around my nose. I would say that you can feel this foundation on your skin however it is in no way suffocating.

I found this foundation to be medium to full coverage and easily buildable. It applies beautifully with a beauty blender, brush or fingers and sits nicely on the skin without seeping into pores. A little does go a long way with this product so a bottle can last a long time. With daily use I've had one bottle last me 5 months! Talk about good value!

I would go as far as to say that this foundation matches the quality of high end foundations such as YSL Touche Eclat. Not only does it leave the skin looking beautiful and glowing, it lasts all day- even without powder! I could wear this to the gym and notice no change in the look of it on my skin. At £5 to £7 this foundation couldn't be better value! I would definitely recommend this foundation to everyone and will continue to repurchase this over and over again.

02.09.2014 22:20

Advantages

• "Cooks well"
      • " taste and texture not compromised"
      • "Great value"

Disadvantages

• "Basic packaging but this doesn't bother me personally"
      • " the colour seems to vary from pack to pack."
      • "Very few"

As good as (if not better than!) any other brand, incredible value.

I'm not the primary grocery shopper in my house, but when my dad, who is, started saying we needed to save money on food yet made no effort to do so, I had to step in! We do all our shopping with Tesco online, and one week when the total cost of the shop made me flinch, I decided to scroll through the list and change a few branded products (some the 'standard' Tesco brand, some non-supermarket brand) to their Tesco Everyday Value equivalent. There are some food products which I could not get myself to order the value version of (e.g.cheap chicken screams 'salmanella' to me, even though I know deep down it can't be *that* bad) but with pasta in particular I've always thought 'how different can it be - pasta is pasta and besides, it depends more on how you cook it and what you eat with it, doesn't it?'.

What really made me decide to add it to the list, though, was the almost unbelievable price; 20p for 500g compared to 95p for the same amount of Tesco's standard brand or £1 for the same amount of Napolina's spaghetti. Even if it was terrible, we could almost throw it out for this price.

Luckily, however, it certainly wasn't terrible. If I had to do a blind taste test, I honestly would not be able to tell that this was the cheaper spaghetti. It's unlikely that I could actually tell any difference, as to be honest I think all pasta, if served plain, would taste the same or very similar to me (unless it was wholemeal, which is almost invariably more expensive and which there is, understandably, not a Value version of).

Like most other pastas (excluding quick cook and fresh egg varieties), it will cook in 10-12 minutes in a pan of boiling water. I find that 10 minutes gives an 'al dente' result whilst 12 or longer may make the pasta go too 'floppy'. I love pasta and will eat it in almost any way but for those cooking it for the first time I'd recommend timing it for a happy medium of 11 minutes and adjust if necessary in the future.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend this product, whether you're trying to save money or not, you might as well get this spaghetti rather than a pack of the same size for over twice the price (I have a feeling half the reason behind the modest price tags of the Value range is in the basic packaging) as, in my opinion, the difference is imperceptible!

• Zarges Paint Tray / Ladder / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      02.09.2014 22:00

Advantages

• "good size"
      • "simple to set up and use"
      • "Helpful for all ladder jobs"

Disadvantages

• none

A helpful hand when you're up the ladder painting the guttering .....

When it comes to certain jobs around the house that need a ladder in order to reach it there's nothing worse than being at the top of the ladder, ready to start the job in hand, only to find that you have no where to put the tools that you don't need straight away, but you know you'll need it very soon. You've have the choice of slotting them in your pockets, or in your belt, or try balancing them in the round rungs of the ladder. But what ever you do you know that the tools are going to end up on the floor many feet below.
      Only there's a simple idea that I have been using for a while now that helps me out when it comes to being able to keep the tool, or paint tin, up the ladder with me. That idea being this, the ladder paint tray.

It is simply a tray, albeit yellow, which sits on a rung of your ladder, with a couple of metal wires that are designed to attach to the rung above the tray.
      And that's it. That is all it is....
      As for the size, it is about 350mm wide, 300mm deep and 35mm thick. The metal rods, that each have a loop on each end, are about 400mm long.
      And that's the size....

I just can't get over the simplicity of this. It is one of those ideas that makes you think 'why did I not think of this ….?' It sits nicely on one rung with the two hanging rods fitting snugly over the next rung.
      The tray sits straight and is big enough to accommodate quite a bit, like a tin of paint, screws, nails, even tools, and the slight lip that goes around it stops any smaller items rolling off the edge.

The price of this simple but great idea is about £25 - £35.

If you're a painter, or do a bit of painting in and around the house. Or maybe you just like being up a ladder with all your things around you, then this is a cracking thing to have up there with you.
      Plus, for easy storage, the two metal rods close into the tray so that this can be stored away on the narrowest of places when you don't need it.

02.09.2014 22:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Beautiful smell

I received this body mist as a free gift, along with a couple of other things, after spending £20.00 at The Body Shop. I was really happy to receive a free product - I mean who doesn't - after spending so much on so little, and I really like that reward aspect to The Body Shop.

If I am being honest I was not really bothered about this product as I did not choose to purchase it myself and did not know much about it, but I have to say after using them all it is probably one of my favourites out of all them now.

The fragrance itself is so fresh and it is great for those who do not like strong smells like myself. It is not an overwhelming scent at all as it just leaves you with a nice fresh smell that sinks nicely into your clothes. It is great to use on a day to day basis as it is not too heavy.

The one negative of this product would be that it does not last that long compared to eau de parfums, but I kind of expected that considering the fact that this is described as a 'mist' rather than a perfume.

I think this product actually costs about £8.00, so I'm happy that I got it for free as I probably would not have purchased it other wise. I seriously recommend that you go check this out as it is such a great product!

02.09.2014 20:41

Advantages

• "looks good"

Disadvantages

• "best for one use"

Glamorous Lashes

These eye lashes are quite natural looking but long still which is what caught my eye about them compared to the other girls'. These lashes are designed to enhance the natural beauty of your eyes and are suitable for all eye shapes and occasions. They are meant to be lightweight, easy to apply and reusable as well as being contact lens friendly. Well I wear lenses and have never had any issues with false eye lashes so wasn't expecting any problems.

When you open the box, out comes a plastic tray where the eye lashes are lying stuck to an eye shaped mould. It states the right and left eye lash and then you also get an instruction leaflet and adhesive with these. It is good to get the glue as I have seen some lashes not come with this which puts me off buying. When you feel you are ready to apply then you go through the following steps. First, you should do your full make up before using these and you can give these a coat of mascara as it recommends but I don't think you need to as they look dark enough.

Next, measure it to your eye and if you feel it is too long then trim the eye lashes on or two at a time from the outside edge. Put the eye lash on the tray and apply some of the glue along the lash band and wait 30 seconds then look down into a mirror and hold the lash close to the natural eye lash line, as close as possible. Press it gently across the lash and hold at the ends as you don't want them flopping off. Just always expect it will feel funny at first but blink and get used to having a little bit more weight on the eye.

The lashes were great on, I got a lot of compliments and they looked good with my make up gave me an extra boldness to my eyes. They lasted the whole night but if you are worried about emergencies then bring your glue out with you. The lashes are very easy to take off, you literally just hold the outside edge and then peel off gently and it shouldn't hurt at all. Make sure you take them off before bed time so that your eyes don't hurt.

I got my eye lashes in Boots, but I am sure you can get them other places. I paid £5.59 for mine which is standard for all of the girls and it isn't too bad compared to the average price for eye lashes. Feelunique.com are charging a little bit cheaper for these at only £5.11 which is a good price for them also.

02.09.2014 20:28

Advantages

• "like the rose notes but fruity blend not for me"

Disadvantages

Not Quite Subtle Enough

The name of the perfume gives just a bit away as to what you will aim to expect from this scent but it is not all about the florals. It is quite a strong perfume when on as I only gave it one spray and could smell it right away. It is a sweet floral and as described you can also pick up on some fruity blends within the scent, it is almost quite citrus like but tangy but I would not be able to guess the exact scents involved. It is one of those perfumes that I cannot decide whether I like it or not as it needs to be worn a couple of times to make a true decision.

The notes in this fragrance as quite overpowering but they do work, however I am not so sure if I like my scents this heavy. It has base notes of sandalwood and then it has heart notes of rose and osmanthus which is what is strong, the rose is the most dominant scent which is obviously a scent I love a lot. The top note is no surprise as it is mandarin which is definitely the main idea as to what I would have guessed being a distinct smell and in a weird way it does actually work really well with the rose scent.

This fragrance is very feminine and a very girly scent and I'd say it is almost quite romantic in smell and I'd recommend it for a special occasion or a romantic outing. I think the fruity notes are what puts me off of this fragrance as I love the rose and the hint of sandalwood but with the mandarin it just seems to be too much for me and I don't think it is a very 'me' fragrance. It is ashame as I am sure on others it may smell a bit different but for me it just seems too strong and I like more subtlety in my scent.

This fragrance would probably be more appealing to an older woman as for me I like a sweeter scent which is a bit lighter for day wear also. It is a good fragrance at staying on which is one thing I will definitely say, as I only sprayed it once and it seemed to last me the whole day after using it. The perfume may be one that is best tried on before buying as you may not like it. I am curious now to smell other Gucci scents but for me Flora is not one I will be going ahead to buy.

If you want the eau de parfum then it will be: £45.50 for the 30ml bottle, £64.50 for the 50ml bottle from The Perfume Shop.

02.09.2014 20:28

Advantages

• "Fragrance lasts "
      • "Cheap even at full price"
      • Smell

Disadvantages

• "None "

It's so PINK

I frequently buy deodorant and other beauty products from Tesco’s so I didn’t really think twice when I saw that they had some of their own brand Pink Body Spray on offer a few weeks back at 49p a tin. This is incredibly cheap, but even when they are at full price, they are still only 60p each. I have used other fragrances in the range before so I bought it without having a sneaky squirt in the store.

The bright pink colour of the 75ml canister is really eye catching. It’s very girly looking and something which immediately appealed to me and sort of drew me in. The can is very small and I like to use this size anyway as I take body sprays with me to the office for use during the day, especially when the when is as warm as it is now, as our office can become very close and extremely uncomfortable, even with the windows open. The bottle closely resembles the small bottles of Impulse you can buy and these were situated right beside them on the shelves in the shop.

The smell of this body spray is really unusual. I can detect a musky background but at the forefront there are definite hints of citrus mixed together with a light floral fresh fragrance. It really is incredibly hard to put into words how this body spray smells, all I can say is that it is beautiful and it actually smells like it cost a lot more than it did.

This body spray is very long lasting and I like to spray it not only on my body but on top of my clothes too. It doesn’t mark dark clothing at all and leaves no white marks on darker clothes and I always think that spraying it on my clothing helps to make the smell last a bit longer anyway.

It’s a great price, a lovely delicate long lasting fragrance and I will definitely buy more of this particular one again once this one runs out.

02.09.2014 20:26

Advantages

• "Softens Skin "
      • Price
      • Smell

Disadvantages

• "Pump dispenser "

Cocoa Butter and Mallow Body lotion

I have only just started to use my bottle of Boots Cocoa Butter and mallow body lotion about two weeks ago. I have had had the bottle for ages but forgot to use it. The bottle is quite large as it contains 300ml of lotion and I paid £1.99 for it, but this was some time ago.

I bought this body lotion as it was priced quite low and I also liked the sound of the contents – mallow and cocoa butter. The bottle is plastic and cream in colour and has a pump action dispenser on the top.

The first time I used this body lotion I immediately fell in love with the smell. It is rich and warm and quite a sophisticated sensuous smell. It is absorbed by the skin quite well, though possibly takes a little longer than I would like. Once fully absorbed it makes the skin feel really soft to the touch.

I pay special attention to dryer patches such as knees and elbows and it does help to improve the skin’s elasticity and smoothes out fine lines and saggy bits I get in these areas. The smell hangs about for ages after application and it doesn’t feel sticky on my hands after I’ve used it. I also use this body lotion as a simple hand cream from time to time.

I make sure to apply a generous amount of this rich body lotion when I use it after a bath or shower and I definitely feel that it nourishes the skin and leaves me feeling softer and smoother all over.

The pump dispenser seemed to be working better earlier in the week but now I have to press down a few time to get the lotion out of the bottle. I think this may be because it’s not reaching down far enough into the bottle or it’s blocked in some way. I cannot fault the lotion itself though and I really highly rate it.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown