• Schwarzkopf Live Color XXL / Hair Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.12.2014 01:38

Advantages

• "Lots of shades to choose from"
      • "Great colour"

Disadvantages

• "Less choice for darker hair"
      • "Some colours fade quicker"

Great range of products at decent prices

After using the normal Live colours for some time I decided to switch the XXL versions as most of them promise better results for my dark brown hair and I am glad I switched as I have had better results overall.

You can't miss the Live XXL boxes on the shelf as they are very brightly coloured and always with two people on the front showing off their hair colour.

I have only tried a few shades of XXL overall so I can only base my review on these products and not everything in the large range of shades there is to choose from.

The main colours I have gone for are chocolatey browns, reds and purples as these colours suit me the most and are funky without being too outragous for work situations.
      Browns - As I have naturally darker brown hair these shades tend to enhance my natural colour well. They add more shine and make my hair look a lot healthier for a while after using. Also I never notice any roots when using shades closer to my own so I can get away with not having to dye it again as often (which helps when you don't have the time to do it when needed).
      Reds - These shades certainly look better of you lighten your hair beforehand. When I was blonde and then went to red it was quite a brighter colour than I expected and lasted longer but I noticed roots easier. When I dyed red after being natural for a while it more added a red tint to my hair that looked good when the light caught it but still added shine.
      Purples - These have been my least favourite so far. After dying my hair purple recently I noticed that the colour faded dramatically after only a couple of washes and ended up more a reddish tint. I am going to perservere with the colour and i have bought a brighter shade to try to see if it makes a difference.

These dyes are decently priced if you know where to look. Home Bargains usually have them in for under £4 each or try Boots if they have an offer on. Otherwise they'll be in the £4-£5.50 range.
      A lot better then the normal Live range there is still a fair bit to go with providing good colours for darker hair.

• Schwarzkopf Live / Hair Care / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.12.2014 01:27

Advantages

• "Great colour and shine"

Disadvantages

• "Not good for dark hair"

Great everyday hair dyes.

The Live colour hair dyes always look fun and inviting on the shelf in their blue box with cool looking people on the front. Their colours range in all manner of natural and un-natural shades from the lightest of blondes to black and I have tried a fair few of these different shades.

I am a brunette naturally and teeter towards the darker side of brown so it is hard to find hair dyes that will take and last. I have found this with Live but only to an extent.

Blonde - well I should have know that blonde wouldn't take easily to my hair but it did take after three tries. However, the colour was draining and made me look ill. I tried a different brand of blonde that took to my hair in one lot of dye and suited me quite well so I know it wasn't just my colouring but the dye.

Chocolate brown - This shade too very easy to my hair and enhanced my natural colour, making my hair look a lot healthier and shiny.

Black - The black was the darkest shade of black to take to my hair and I loved the very gothic look it acheived.

Reds and purples - These shades take somewhat to my hair but tend to fade into a variety of different shades very easily. Purples turn to mroe reddish colours and reds fade away after a few washes. They looked better when I used them after being blonde so would recommend a lightener first if you have dark hair.

All in all the Love colours are ok. The black was my favourite outcome and the colour that took the best and lasted the longest, having not faded at all during the time it was dyed that colour. However, for a more 'wow' effect or colour that lasts longer I would recommend switching the the XXL versions as they take to darker hair better and last longer as well as being brighter shades.
      Pricewise these are some of the cheaper products on the market but can still be pricey. Look out for bargains at cheaper stores (like Home Bargains) or on deals at Boots etc

• Home Bargains / Highstreet Shopping / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      20.12.2014 01:10

Advantages

• "Great bargains"

Disadvantages

• "Can be a bit messy/busy"

Good quality products at discounted prices

I am a fan of a good bargain and like to shop around for things but Home Bargains brings a lot of those bargains into one place for me.

You can't miss a Home Bargains store with its bright red sign. The front of every Home Bargains I have seen is a line of huge windows so you can see just how popular and busy the shop is while also being a great area for the store to display seasonal bargains.

All year round they sell an array of toys, food, beauty products, alcohol and more. I started shopping there regularly when I saw that I can save a fortune on my hair dye (it's around £2 cheaper for Live XL hair dye than Wilko's), face wipes and other girly beauty stuff. I also pick up sweets, crisps and alcohol when the occasion calls for it (which really helps out when you are entertaining guests).
      It doesn't sell the types of products which means you would be able to do your weekly shop there but it can certainly help fill your cupboards as well as providing other cheap homeware

There are only a couple of downsides to Home bargains but they can easily be overlooked.
      Fistly, it can be a pretty faceless store. Don't expect fantastic customer service or to be welcomed by a member of staff. If you ask for where certain products are then you'll usually get a point in the right direction and nothing more. You're expected to go in and be out as quickly as possible.
      Secondly, with money being tight nowadays and bargain stores being on the rise then it can get pretty busy inside. If you don't like crowds then avoid at weekends and during holidays.

Overall, it is a great company providing cheap but good quality products.

19.12.2014 23:12

Advantages

Disadvantages

Calling all lip gloss doubters

I'm not a lip gloss fan usually but after making a number of purchases at an Estee Lauder the assistant was really kind and handed me a full one of these!
      I was very grateful and intended to give it away but because the makeup assistant had used this on me as she was demonstrating the product I was actually quite surprised at how different it was to other lip glosses I've tried.

The colour is subtle with a lovely sheen, not too bright and not too overwhelming it is actually perfect for day wear. There were five colours to chose from so if you want something strong for the evening they supply this as well.

The application brush is dainty more like a pipette than a brush and I found this to be much better to apply and blend into my lipstick.
      The result was that this tasted nice, looked great and actually lasted more than a few hours and I had a couple of drinks and it stayed on, very impressive.
      When the product has gone my lips genuienly felt soft and moisturised.
      I would highly recommend that if like me you're a lip gloss doubter, try this.

• Estee Lauder Lucidity / Make Up / 4 Readings / 4 Ratings
      19.12.2014 23:02

Advantages

• "Great finishing touch"

Disadvantages

Achieve that flawless look

I purchased this at the same time of the foundation from Estee Lauder [reviewed also] and this gives your makeup that great finished look.

I suffer with terrible nightmares from visit of family friends and family members way back in the nineties when it was all the rage to do blusher and powder product to the max! And I vowed never to try this when I grew up.
      Well, I grew up and broke the vow however I'm more measured it how much I apply and I think the makeup industry have come a long way in teaching us lovely ladies how to apply.
      This is a great addition to achieving flawless skin.
      Once I have applied the foundation of Estee Lauder to my face I just very lightly using a brush apply a thin layer of powder that gives the foundation that added help to stay in place all day and give it that flawless look.
      The powder is in a lovely compact that looks great in your bag and easy to carry around to touch-up throughout the day.

This comes in various shades and I would advise to head to a counter at Debenhams or other big stores for advice from an assistant to match your foundation with a great powder from this brand.

• Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      19.12.2014 22:50

Advantages

• " all day looking skin"
      • Flawless

Disadvantages

Wowzers!!

Wow, this is a great foundation.
      The never ending search for that all important life changing foundation kinda stopped with this product. I just can't help trying out other foundations however when I need something I can rely on this is the one foundation I must reach for on all occasions.

The foundation is just simply flawless.
      I purchased this during my visit in Harvey Nichols when I won some vouchers [HV has been reviewed] and the assistant asked if I would like to test this by having my makeup done there and then.
      I explained my skin issues of covering up slight blemishes and late night eye bags etc and my main concern was that my skin looked flawless even in the sunlight or photos which sometimes can highlight areas you really rather it didn't.

The advice she gave was great as she applied the foundation and tricks of the trade. But building this on my skin instead of rubbing it in makes sure that the foundation hides the issues you want. She dabbed this onto my skin instead of blending it in, only with a powder in this range did she blend but the difference was crazy good.
      I brought the product hoping to get the same results at home and it worked for once!
      I used the advice and worked with the products the way it was meant to and the foundation not only lasted but hid the blemishes all day.
      Well worth its weight in gold this product.

19.12.2014 22:39

Advantages

• Calming
      • "Clear skin"

Disadvantages

Great range for spot prone skin

I have been using this product for over six months now and I am completey in love with it because my skin, which is prone to small breakouts seems to be under control with this range from Estee Lauder.
      It was not something I would have thought of buying before, ususally I stick to Boots, over the counter treatments but I had to give this a go after seeing cracking reviews and had to try for myself.

The whole range is a gorgeous, ice blue and clean looking range which is available nearly everywhere online and in main department stores.

The lotion is a white liquid that I honestly beg you not to use too much. Not just because of the price but because you don't need too much. It spreads very well across the skin, a lovely cooling effect that sinks in within minutes however any more than that on your skin [in liquid not minutes] and you run the risk of maybe suffocating the skin and it leaving a sheen.
      Please don't let that put you off purchasing this because my skin cleared up within one week and has even helped the tone of my skin and reduce significantly the oil I sometimes suffer with on my forehead! Honestly 3 in 1 lotion is quite good for this price.
      This works best when you compliment it with the serum and the toner, but you can just use this on its own and it's still effective.

I highly recommend this range. Check it out on Estee Lauder.co.uk.

• Dior Iconic Mascara / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      19.12.2014 22:20

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "Dried out very quickly"
      • Clumps

Iconic for the wrong reasons

I am, like many others a massive fan of Dior's makeup. I like many know its a brand that has great results and worth the money but with this particular product in their arsenal of mascara failed to deliver.

This is different from the rest of their mascara simply because it has brushes that are slanted which should result in you and I getting amazing results however I found this added nothing.
      The intensity of the colour was good, but the different brush angles didn't pull out any individual lashes to be highlighted at all.
      The lashes were all meant to be given a good coating of mascara as the brush is meant to select those pesky few that get away but I found I really had to work the brush in all the lashes to really give them a coating of mascara as for the uplift it didn't do anything. Apart from the colour my lashes looked the same.
      And the worst and unexpected thing with this mascara from DIOR of all places, is that it actually clump my lashes together, they claim to help to fan out the lashes but it did the opposite.
      By all means, I recommend DIOR'S mascara's , but not this one. x

19.12.2014 22:05

Advantages

• "Nice squeak"
      • Cute

Disadvantages

• Expensive?

A cute baby toy Penguin!

I love Lamaze toys - my first was of course the Lamaze moose which I got many years before Cameron was born, in fact we now have two! We have build up a little collection of Lamaze toys since his birth, mostly as gifts from people. They really are great toys as they are suitable from birth.

Recently we took Cameron (who is now 6 months) to see Father Christmas. It cost £6 to see Father Christmas, and the gift that Cameron was given was this Lamaze penguin. We were so impressed with how well suited the toys were to the childrens' ages, and especially finding that it was such a high quality toy.

This Lamaze penguin has a blue tube shaped body which can easily be grasped by the baby, and a very cute penguin head on top, and arms. The Lamaze logo is sewn into the 'body'. When you squeeze it, a very cure squeaking noise is made, and it actually sounds quite penguin like (my boyfriend and I think so anyway). When Cameron is in a good mood (ie. not tired) he smiles when I make it squeak. When I put toys on his bumbo tray he is happy to pick the penguin up and then drop it on the floor for me to pick up and put back on the tray. I think this means he likes it!

I have looked on Amazon, and this costs £6.98 currently which is a bit on the steep side. I would say it is worth buying if you can find it somewhere near the £4 mark (like the Lamaze zebra rattle which Cameron also has). However, as a gift from a Santa's Grotto it was a fantastic toy.

4 out of 5 stars from me and Cameron!

• Acer Aspire 8000 / Desktop PC / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      19.12.2014 22:02

Advantages

• Screen
      • "Battery life"

Disadvantages

• Specs

If you need a laptop this is deffinetly the one for you.

Well,Acer company isnt one of the best Laptop companies.But its not the worst.This laptop is pretty nice for users that are not so demanding.If you want to search the web or go to Facebook or play some simple games this is laptop for you.I want to start from the screen.Well,screen is one of the best i seen on cheep laptops.Viewing angles are great and color and depth are good.Second best is laptops battery.I was hanging out with it all day,i was at facebook,twitter,instagram and youtube with max brightnes set on and i took 8,5 hours for me to drain all that battery.Keys on the keyboards are good but i didnt liked very much because they are hard and i like soft keys.Another thing that i didnt like are the specs.What do i say,for this little money it has to be slow and sometimes laggy.Newer games like Fifa anf Call of Duty cant be played on this laptop because you be terrified with its slowness.I played fifa for hours and hours and hours and hours and it was lagging all the time,i hated it.But the other day i was on Facebook,i visit my Twitter account and a lot of other stuff like Instagram,Netflix and other.I must tell you i never had a lag.None lag.It was absoluetly great experience.And when you are playing games on facebook or some games on the internet laptop is cool,i cant hear it.And it runs great.I recomend that you install windows xp o laptop,because it doesnt hande windows 7 very well.Thats it,if you need a laptop this is deffinetly the one for you.

19.12.2014 21:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

Brace yourselves ladies

This is a FANTASTIC product on every level!

The gorgeous house of DIOR has hit the nail on the head with this one.

A classy product of a mascara, from the packaging to the style of the product, this screams luxury. Coat your lashes in a wonderful treatment of lash enhancers. For me, I saw such an amazing difference. I was so happy with the results.

This claims to coat every single lash even those small ones that get away. With a serum treatment to thicken, separate and lengthen your lashes this is amazing.
      How a serum does that I just don't know, but I am so grateful someone found out because of lashes looked instantly fuller, lifted and fanned out.
      It brings attention to your eyes, helps the colour of your eyeshadow stand out and I was happy with the results.

This mascara is available in three shades.
      BLACK
      BROWN
      BLUE
      Only black suits me, Blue is so not right!

This is costly at £30-40 however I only use mine on evenings and meetings as not to waste, also wearing it throughout the day time looks over done.
      This is easily removed with most eye makeup removers but not from the 'SIMPLE' range.

19.12.2014 21:26

Advantages

• "Cleans well"
      • "Smells lovely"

Leaves me smelling lovely

I am always on the look out for bargains and I picked a few bottles of this up in the Christmas sales last year.

===Price & availability===

This is only available from the Body Shop, online and instore, although I have an outlet store just me, I always find that the best deals are online, I picked this up when it was half price, with an additional 40% off and I managed to get some cashback too. There are two different sizes available, either 250ml or 750ml and the price is £4 or £6 depending on the size.

===The gel===

I picked up the larger size which comes in a clear plastic bottle which is topped with a pump, on the front of the bottle is a picture of a big strawberry and the product information and brand in white lettering. The gel is bright red in colour.

As soon as I dispensed a small amount onto my shower puff, the fresh smell of strawberries is evident straight away and best of all, the fragrance transfers onto my skin and stays there for a good few hours after showering. Unlike other Body Shop body washes I have used in the past, this one is a little on the thin side but having said that, I dont need to use much to get a good lather and as soon as I add a little bit of water, I get an notable amount of lather. I do find that as I lather the product up, the strawberry fragrance gets stronger.

When washing, the body wash feels really soft against my skin and did a great job at cleaning me up. Apparently, the shower gel is soap free which means that it wont dry your skin out, I must admit, I find this to be quite true and my skin does feel nice and soft after use.

===Overall===

I would definitely recommend this and I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Thanks for reading.

19.12.2014 20:10

Advantages

• "decent packaging"
      • "lasts ages"
      • effective

Disadvantages

• "doesn't smell great"

Hemp power

The Body Shop Hemp Body Butter is designed to provide round the clock hydration for very dry skin. It's priced at £13 for a 200ml tub.

My thoughts

The packaging is goo enough. I'm not keen on products in pots but due to the nature or the product there's not really any other option. The lid screws on tightly but is easy to open, and the design is nice enough.

The butter is very thick, one of the thickest I've used, it feels really solid in the pot and you have to apply some pressure to get any out. It does have quite a greasy feel to it but I think that can be said of all body butters really. It's a pale green colour and has a strong earthy scent from the hemp seed oil and shea butter in the formula.

It does take a bit more effort to apply than a lotion would because of the thick consistency, but once you've warmed it up a little it spreads quite easily and I find a little does go a long way. It doesn't absorb very quickly though, so it's one that I tend to only use at night when I don't need to get dressed after applying it.

I think this does a really good job of moisturising my skin, but it does leave me with that coated feeling on my skin like it doesn't fully absorb. It does get rid of dry, flaky skin really quickly though, and leaves my skin really smooth and soft.

Recommended?

Yes, I would recommend this body butter to anyone with very dry skin who needs an intensive moisturiser. It may seem expensive but the pot lasts ages as you don't need to use much at a time.

19.12.2014 17:58

Advantages

• "They work"
      • "Nice flavour"

My favourite cough sweet

I was in my local shop a few weeks back feeling a little bunged up with cold and whilst waiting the queue to pay, I spotted these and decided to give them a go.

===The sweets===

The sweets come in a black and white cellophane bag which has the product name and description on in white lettering. I would say the bag has quite an old fashioned (but not off putting) look to it. To the front of the bag is a clear panel so you can see the sweets inside.

The smaller bags contain around 15 or so sweets and as soon as I opened the bag, I was greeted with a slightly menthol aroma. The sweets are black, oval shaped and are individually wrapped in a clear cellophane wrapper which is really easy to remove. Upon placing in my mouth, I can immediately taste an aniseed element and they give me a slightly warm sensation in my mouth. Within a minute of putting in my mouth, they seem to work wonders on my blocked nose and help me breathe a lot more easily, they also seemed to coat the back of my throat making it a lot easier to swallow.

When it comes to sweets, I have a tendency to crunch rather than leaving them in my mouth however these sweets are quite hard so I do leave these ones alone and I was surprised to find how long them lasted, they didn’t dissolve quickly at all. Another good point about the sweets is that the taste stayed in my mouth for quite a long time, and I didn’t instantly get congested as soon as it had gone.

===Price & availability===

I haven’t really noticed these up until I purchased them but now everywhere I go, there they are and prices start from around 50p up to £1 for a 100g bag. There also different fragrances available but these seem to be the most commonly available.

===Ingredients & nutritional information===

It is worth noting that Jakemans do not use any artificial colours or flavourings in their sweets which is good to know, I would point out though that these do have quite a high sugar content. The nutritional information is as follows:

Energy 1657 kJ/390 kcal
      Protein 0.1g
      Carbohydrates 96.7g
      Fat 0.3g

===Overall===

I would definitely recommend these sweets, I even purchase them now and I haven’t got a cold. They get 5 out of 5 stars from me.

Thanks for reading.

19.12.2014 17:50

Advantages

Disadvantages

Calming and relaxing aroma

The Lush dream time bath melt is the best bath melt by far and I have purchased many different bath products from Lush. The dream time bath melt is supposed to promote soft moisturized skin and de-stress one applied to the bath.

I bought the dream time bath melt from my local lush store for £3 for 30g which isn't much product but very cheap price compared to other bath melts lush sells, I bought 3 which allowed me around 5 baths. Great mileage for such a cheap cost in my opinion. The bath melt is a milky white colour and once applied to the bath it will turn the bath water a milky white colour and will leave plant residue floating round in the water. Such a unique product!

The scent is a very subtle sweet smell a combination of chamomile, jasmine and lavender which invites the really calming effect hence why the bath melt promotes 'de-stress' really worked for me, I almost fell asleep in the bath. The smell is really lasting on the skin and is so radiant to the senses afterwards. The colour of the bath water and the smells of the bath melt where so relaxing and made my skin so moisturized and soft.

Only down point to this product would be that the smell of the bath melt seems to die down after it has completely disolved into the bath, I like my strong smelling bath melts, and this wasn't particularly to strong or powerful to be honest.. very plain compared to others. You don't get much of a bar but i decided to only use half per bath to get more usage out of the product.

over all - 3 doo yoo stars.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown