• Woman / Magazine / Newspaper / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.03.2015 13:01

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good magazine for what it is.

I am one of those people who is always reading something, whether articles on the Internet, a book or a magazine so if I see a good headline on any magazine it will hook me in and make me want to buy it.
      This is one of the problems I have with Woman magazine though. The actual stories never seem to add up to the drama of the headlines. The headline will be full of the 'ooh' factor then when you read the actually article it's like ' oh is that it?' Not always I admit, but a lot of the time it's the case.
      Apart from a tendency to overdo the headlines, Woman is an average kind of a read. It's a weekly, it was 90p the last time I bought it and it's the kind of thing you can dip in and out of between household chores when you stop to have a cuppa. There is plenty of celebrity gossip if you like that sort of thing, though usually pretty low key gossip, or a new take on a long-standing celebrity theme going on. It's not all celebrity though and there are also human interest stories about readers and members of the general public who have found themselves in unusual or unexpected situations.
      The mood of the magazine is lively and bright and I feel it would appeal to the older woman, who has seen a bit of life, knows what she is about and is happy to go her own way rather than young women looking for the next big trend and establishing their image and careers.
      Woman has been around for years and while it probably has lots of younger readers who enjoy it when it's there, I suspect it is mum doing the buying.

01.03.2015 12:40

Advantages

• "Knowledge of the zoo keepers"
      • "Kids enjoyed it"

Disadvantages

• "Steep hill"
      • Small

Small but enjoyable

We recently visited Dartmoor Zoo during half term. Although living in Devon for the last 13 years I had not got round to actually visiting this zoo before instead always going to Paignton Zoo instead.
      Finding the zoo wasn't very easy, we use a satnav and still got a little lost trying to find the entrance to the zoo. We found it wasn't sign posted very well at all.
      The parking at the zoo was ok, we had no trouble finding a parking space. The car park is very bumpy and the walk from the car park to the zoo is not very wheelchair or pushchair friendly as it is such a long steep hill.
      The entrance price was pretty average for Zoo's in the area.
      I was a little disappointed with the range of animals at the zoo, there was just one lion, one cheetah and 2 tigers (if I can recall correctly). There was quite a variety of birds though and 2 packs of wolves which I have to say was very enjoyable. The wolves were obviously used to visitors and were happy to stand close to the perimeters of their enclosure so you were able to see them very well. Whilst there we also stayed to listen to one of the zoo keepers give a talk about the wolves and we found it very informative and interested.
      We were very impressed by the zoo keepers through out the park. Several of the enclosures had keepers giving talks on the animals.
      The zoo keepers were also very good both ours and other people's children who asked them many questions.
      Overall my kids did enjoy it and I would recommend the zoo to others but it is in no way a large zoo and there are several steep hills throughout the park.

01.03.2015 11:11

Advantages

• "Glossy finish"
      • Affordable

Disadvantages

MUA - A great budget range of make up & nail polishes!

I must admit to loving a bargain or two, don't we all? This range of nail polishes from Superdrug are definitely a bargain at just £1 each. I wasn't expecting Nails Inc. quality but for a quid I put a couple in my basket and headed off to the till. The MUA range is exclusive to Superdrug and is basically a budget brand of make up. My friends call it a "pocket money" brand as most of their teenage daughters buy their make up from the range. The nail polish is available to buy in a range of different shades, which are all priced at £1.

The nail polish comes in a standard size bottle with an applicator brush inside the lid as per usual with nail polishes. The brush is lovely and soft and all the bristles were in line with each other, not all over the place like some are! I found that I did need a good couple of coats to fully cover my nails. Just the one coat wasn't quite enough but two coats was perfectly adequate. The nail polish itself was of a good consistency. It wasn't runny but it wasn't gloopy either, it actually had the same (or VERY similar) consistency to Nails Inc. nail polish.

I would say that the nail polish takes around ten to fifteen minutes to fully dry, however I do apply two coats so perhaps that's why it takes a little longer. Once dry the nail polish looks great. It doesn't dry streaky or patchy, it just looks really nice and glossy. For the price you would expect this to be cheap and nasty but it's far from that. I am really pleased with this nail polish and I would recommend it. It lasts for around three to five days on my nails before chipping at the edges, which is longer than some premium brands of nail polish!

A great nail polish at a great price. They make lovely little stocking fillers for Christmas and you could always include one in a hamper for a friend maybe?

MUA from Superdrug - A great budget range of make up!

01.03.2015 10:54

Advantages

• "Handy storage"

Disadvantages

• "Objects fall off the shelves"
      • "Cheaply made"

Would not recommend

When we moved into our new home we needed to find some storage solutions as we had a small bathroom and no built in cupboards in our home.
      I actually had some trouble finding under sink storage, this was the only one I could find when I went into town. It was about £15 so it wasn't overly cheap so I thought it would be a little better than it was.
      Putting it together was in theory straight forward, the instructions were not too difficult to follow but actually putting it together was quite tricky.
      The screws did not seem to quite fit into the pre-made holes properly and when I did manage to screw them in the whole unit seemed a little wonky.
      The unit itself does fit well under my sink (which is just a standard sized sink) and now that it is put together it is not as wonky but it does feel quite flimsy.
      I have also noticed the screws have started to rust a bit which I assume is from the bathroom's condensation.
      My biggest problem with this storage unit is that the shelves are not very wide and also being a wire rack objects I place on the shelves fall over or fall off the shelves a lot!
      I am constantly picking up shampoo bottles that have toppled off.
      Overall I wouldn't recommend this shelving unit to anyone unless like me it was the only one you are able to find. But I would suggest not using it to store taller objects like shampoo bottles.

• MSI Z97 XPOWER AC / Motherboard / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.03.2015 02:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Its a best and low priced mother board

The MSI Z97 XPOWER AC motherboard which is seated in the MSI OC series. MSI's new OC Series include the Z97 MPower, Z97 MPower MAX AC, and the Z97 XPower AC. We test the flagship today, the Z97 XPOWER AC. It is big, it is fast, it is extensive and it probably is one of the most aesthetically pleasing Z97 motherboards available on the market today. MSI took the Z97 chipset and then started adding. Adding a PLX chip for quad-SLI/Crossfire support, adding AC WIFI, adding heaps of SATA3 connectors, adding overclock features, adding a very nice audio solution and well, they added pretty much anything they could find. Join us in a the Z97 XPower AC review, a product that is bound to please the enthusiast PC gamer.

Intel released their series 9 chipsets, among them will be low-end and high-end desktop solutions. For the consumers and readers of Guru3D, H97 and Z97 will be the two most interesting ones. For the HTPC end of things H97 is the most appealing as tweaking options are stripped away with a lower price-tag. For the more hardcore gamers and PC aficionados, the Z97 is the most interesting. Z97 by itself as a chipset is nothing special. HOWEVER we have plenty to look at as the motherboard manufacturers went totally nuts and started redesigning their motherboards, added new features and made them extraordinarily cool. You'll spot new redesigns build on the DNA of Z87 yet improved massively. Cool looks, features like AC WIFI, M2 SSDs and Sata Express will bring some very interesting features onto the market. So if (at the time) you didn't upgrade to Z87, now might be a good time.

The Z97 XPOWER AC comes with powerful CPU and RAM overclocking capabilities. Now this board can manage 3 and 4-way SLI really well. To increase PCI-E Lane bandwidth MSI added a PLX PEX8747 bridge chip allowing you to drive four PCI-Express 3.0 x16 slots. The MSI Z97 XPower AC is build to impress and as such will bring 10 x SATA 6Gbps ports to the table. That's next to the new sporty M.2 slot and 12 x USB 3.0 ports. Much like the entire MSI range this board is fitted with AudioBoost audio that has a built-in headphone amp. Obviously the board has 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, Intel based Gigabit Ethernet and many OC features, something that includes a coolant based heatsink so you can liquid cool the CPU VRM, voltage measurement points 2, on-board OC/voltage fine-tuning buttons, and a backup BIOS. The V-Check Points 2 which will let use 2 ground connectors so that you now can use up to 3 multi-meters at the same time.

MSI also delivers a "Delid Die Guard" that's measured to specification and designed to protect the CPU core on processors that no longer have an integrated heat spreader (IHS). Also included is a OC Fan stand (fan mounting kit to generate airflow on an open system with a fan included. MSI even includes a 8GB OC Pen drive for you to store your OC profiles on. Matching in a nice black/yellow design of course.

All-in-all this motherboard offers it all, so join me in an extensive review and overview of what MSI has to offer with the MSI Z97 XPOWER AC motherboard, next page please.

• Dell Studio 15 / Laptop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.03.2015 02:09

Advantages

Disadvantages

Its best for the guys who love playing Games!!!

The Good Borrows are some of the best design features of the more expensive XPS line; built-in media remote control.

The Bad Bulkier than the 15-inch XPS model; just under the wire for new Centrino 2 chips.

The Bottom Line Dell's first release from its new Studio line, the Studio 15, sits between the Inspiron and XPS lines and offers a good mix of features for the price, but we'd be tempted to save up a few extra dollars for a thinner, lighter XPS.

Parsing the intended markets for Dell's ever-shifting in-house brand names requires a bit of tea-leaf reading, although it's been easier of late, with the company stripping down its consumer brands to just the Inspiron and XPS lines. Now the company is adding a new line between the budget Inspiron and the high-end XPS. The new Studio line, as personified by the $1,250 15-inch Studio 15, has the same tapered shape, slot-loading optical drive, and rounded hinge as the Dell XPS M1530, but a similarly configured Studio system costs roughly $300 less than a similarly outfitted XPS.

The trade-off is mostly in size and finish. Even though it has a similar look, the Studio laptop is about 25 percent thicker and slightly heavier than its more upscale XPS cousin, with plastic accents instead of metal. We'd be tempted to toss in the extra $300 for the brushed-metal wrist rest and slimmer design of the XPS, but the Studio line does offer personalization options (lots of colors and graphic imprints) beyond what's available for Dell's other laptops, along with a slot-loading optical drive and credit-card-style media remote for about $200 more than a similarly configured Inspiron 1525 (not including discrete graphics, which are not available on the 1525).

01.03.2015 01:19

• Good

Disadvantages

Cooking is good

This was bought for me as a Christmas present because my obsession with baking was getting crazy and I wanted my arm to stop hurting! I have nothing else to compare it with, having never owned a stand mixer before and so I can only comment on what I have experienced with this machine.

First of all it is so incredibly noisy that I wonder if my neighbours hate me if I'm baking more than one thing in a day. This is even with it on the low setting. I have tried it on a higher setting and found it to be much noisier but not much more useful. It seems to have more settings than actually required, as I don't notice much difference in between each. The settings it has are on the attached hand mixer which affect the speed of the whisks and also on the stand to affect the speed at which the bowl rotates (the extra settings for the latter I find useless).

One thing I have also noticed is that when mixing, the attached whisks don't get right in to the side and so some mixture is left there. This requires me to mix that part myself or incorporate it into the mixture before switching the machine back on.

The machine does come with some extras; these include an extra set of whisks, dough hooks (great for making bread!) and its own spatula. The spatula in particular is great to get into the previously mentioned unmixed areas and also for scraping the mixture out. It's a lot sturdier than the usual flexible spatulas which can good or bad, considering what you need it to do. While normal spatulas are great for scraping bowls (and would certainly work with the mixer), this solid one is brilliant for the mixer itself.

One plus point as well is if you need just a hand mixer, you can detach that from the stand and use it on its own.

It certainly takes the effort out of baking and I would recommend it as a starter stand mixer, but I think I will be upgrading at some time in the future.

01.03.2015 01:00

Advantages

• adjustable
      • stylish

Disadvantages

• "can't be worn on all occassions"

great watch for everyday wear

I received this watch as a christmas present and I absolutely love it. I have very small wrists and struggle to find watches that fit me without having to make another hole. However, this watch fits great which shows how adjustable it is. Because of the large face it is very eye catching and attracts a lot of attention so I would say it is a statement piece of jewellery. The only downfall I would say would be that due to the style of it (fashionable but casual) it cannot be worn on all occassions. For example, I wouldn't wear it on a night out or wouldn't wear it to work. But it is perfect for everyday wear outside of work. I think this style of watch will also be in fashion or on trend for some time still so it could be seen as an investment piece of jewellery.

• Dunlop Wellington Boots / Shoes / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.03.2015 00:25

Advantages

• basic
      • dry
      • "well built"

Disadvantages

• "hard on the sole"

simple and reliable.

I bought a pair of these recently for work after I fort tired of shelling out for hiking boots that claimed to be "COMPLETELY WATER PROOF" and ended up being as much use as a paper bag in the rain.

At the end of the day with these though you get what you paid for.
      A cheap pair of wellies that will keep your feet warms and dry whether your in a field in the middle of nowhere or walking to work in a storm.

I found that the sole doesn't have a lot of flex in and takes along time to break but you get a get a grip from the tread.

If you do get a pair I'd buy some thick soaks to go with just to make them a little more comfortable to walk in. I ended up with a few blisters before I had the sense to do that.

But if your looking for something cheap that won't fall apart or mess you about. I'd say this is the way to go. If your looking something flashy with pretty colours and fancy patterns then go else where.

01.03.2015 00:05

Advantages

• "durable "
      • "simple design"
      • "light weight "

Disadvantages

• "expensive extras"
      • "requires constant updates"
      • "lack of software"

Overall it's not a bad but i wouldnt recommend it.

Ok so I've had my surface rt for little over 6 months now and I can say I've well and truly put it to test.

For a start I bought for about £350 (bare in mind this is one of the oldest surface tabs available).

The RT is a very basic windows tablet great doing simple things, e.g checking emails, Facebook, Skype, Netflix and Xbox games. So if your not a massive tech head its a good little piece of kit. The scream plays in full HD and sound isn't half bad either.

One major downside to the RT is the software. All software MUST be downloaded from the Microsoft store and no software you download off the web will run on it because of the operating system.

The tablet also requires constant updates to keep its antivirus program up to date. This happens almost every day.

But it's not all doom and gloom the tablet comes loaded with basic office programs such as word, excel, PowerPoint, etc. These can be used either using the touch screen keyboard of if your will to she'll out the extra £90ish you can get a touchcover keyboard that connects to the bottom of the tablet.

• Sennheiser PX100-II / Headphones / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.02.2015 23:54

Advantages

• "strong headband"
      • "store away easily"
      • "so comfortable"
      • "good sound quality"

Disadvantages

• "none really"

Listen to Sennheiser in your ears .... although i've never heard of this composer ???

I like listening to music but I feel that those around me may not like my taste, which means that I tend to use earphones of one kind of another. Sadly though, these days, they don't make things to last like they did in my day, (ay-up lad.. those were the days).
      And these headphones are ones that I have used, and managed to keep them going for nearly 18 months, before they began to fail. Although I can't really blame the headphones themselves as I dropped them into the dogs water bowl and damaged one of the speakers.
      But whilst they worked they were great.
      They have what they call and 'Open back design for natural sound reproduction'
      The cable goes into the one speaker only and as the cable is over a metre long there's planty of cable to play with.
      The headband piece is pretty strong, being made of plastic, with a slither of metal along the top side and a padded band on the underside which makes them nice and soft to wear.
      The band and speakers folds into itself, sort of, with the speakers pushing into the band, making it easy to store. Which normally makes headphones a little brittle, in a way, as the speaker section usually sticks you from the frame. But with these the speaker ear pieces fold into the band which keeps them out of harms way.
      On the end of the wire there is the standard 3.5mm jack, which fits into most, if not all music systems. But even if it doesn't fit your larger music systems you can always buy an adapter for a couple of quid.
      The sound quality is great, without a doubt, although I do hear a lot of outside noise even when I have the volume on high. I tend to find that many of these type of headphone find it difficult to block out the world, unlike my favourite in ear, bud type earphones which really do block out the stuff that's going in around you.

As for the price, these little headphones sell for about £30 which may sound a little high priced for a simple set but for the sound quality and the comfort of these does make them worth the money.
      So, if you're after a decent set of headphones then these are well worth looking at. You won't find these in the pound-plus shop

28.02.2015 23:43

Advantages

• luxurious
      • "Gorgeous scent"

Disadvantages

• "Out of my regular budget"

Luxurious and with a lovely scent.

I was given a Champneys Spa Indulgence Distant Shores giftset at Christmas, and one of the components was a 50ml tub of the body butter. Naturally I gave it a bit of a sniff upon receiving it, and liking the fragrance it became something I very much looked forward tpo trying out, though I forced myself to wait until I'd finished the body butter I was currently using (one of my new years resolutions, to stop abandoning products halfway through).

Fast forward to the beginning on February though, and it was fair game. My pot looks a little different from the one pictured above, perhaps because it was part of the gift set. Its a vibrant hot pink, with a gold lid and a gold bar bearing the Champneys logo. It looks very vibrant and fun, and I think is actually a much more appealing design than some of the other Champneys products which can tend to look a tad old fashioned.

Opening up, the cream is a bright white and very thick, much thicker than many other body butters I have used, and yet quite soft and easy to spread over the skin. It feels very cooling when smoothed over skin, and absorbs surprisingly well for something so thick. It really does feel like an indulgent treat using this. It leaves the skin soft and moisturised, and leaves behind a lovely scent.

The scent is very tropical- I actually thought it was pineapple at first sniff, but once it's smoothed onto skin and warms up it is much easier to identify the passionfruit and mango elements. This smells of summer- which I think is why I'm enjoying using it so much on these dreary grey winter days.

The product has a shelf life of twelve months from opening - I don't think my little pot is going to last that long though, I'm almost at the end, having used this after every bath for the last month. I'm not sure how much was paid for the gift set, but a 300ml tub of this costs £10 from Boots, and whilst that is more than I would typically spend on a body butter, I do think in this case, the quality, the beautiful scent, and the indulgent feeling I get using this justify the price.

My budget doesn't stretch to me making this my only body butter, there are just some months where a cheapy option is the only option, but I will be purchasing more of this when budget allows, and I very much recommend it!

28.02.2015 23:05

Advantages

• "Frothy milk"
      • "Easy to clean"
      • Speed
      • "Quality coffee"

Disadvantages

Best coffee maker, so easy and tasty. No regrets!!

I LOVE this coffee machine! It genuinely makes me happy each day when I get my perfect frothy cup of coffee. I look forward to it as a real treat.

I bought this a year ago and I can honestly say that I still think it's fantastic and I have not had a coffee machine before that I have still really loved using after that time. I have tried a few really excellent quality machines but they have all been quite a lot of hassle dealing with ground coffee and cleaning the machine, so I decided to try a capsule machine.

A friend had this machine and I always enjoyed her coffee so thought I would try it. I was a bit concerned that it was a little bit pricy as you can only order the capsules directly from Nespresso. you can buy cheaper fake versions of the capsules but why bother when the taste is so good with the originals and the cost is only about 30p per cup which is really good when you are essentially getting a coffee shop cup of coffee.

The milk frother is amazing. It can also do just warm, non frothy milk and cold frothy milk. The capsules come in a variety of flavours including some specialities like chocolate mint or vanilla. They also do decaf, but their main coffees are fantastic. I especially like the lungo coffees which are more like cappuccinos than espressos.

The helpline where you order the coffees is also great and you can recycle the capsules. The orders comes really quickly.

The machines needs very little maintenance and the few parts that need washing can be done every so often with ease. the milk frother needs washing after each use.

I genuinely think this is the best coffee maker around and all my friends love coming round to mine for coffee as its so tasty!!

• AEG BHO 18 / Planer / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      28.02.2015 22:46

Advantages

• "Has power"

Disadvantages

• "Not for the nervous people."
      • "shakes like that Steven's bloke behind his green door"
      • "sometimes uncontrollable "
      • unsafe

A plane that should stay grounded and locked in the hanger forever

This has a good 1500watts of power with a maximum cutting depth of 62mm. It has two handles, with the rear handle having the trigger under it, together with the locking button.
      The footplate can be angled, by loosening the plastic wingnut on the front of the plate, tightening the same nut when you get the angle you want. Or you can leave the footplate level to do a standard straight cut.
      The footplate on this is made of something that looks as tough as steel but in reality it's as strong as that aluminium foil you put in the bottom of your grilling plate to catch the grease from the sausages you're cooking. This plate seeming to move more than it should, which lets this once down right from the start.
      But that's not the worst of this one. The worst thing is that the guard that covers the most dangerous part of this saw, the spinning blade, is made of the same fragile material, which was the main reason that made me want to give this.
      To be honest, i'm usually pretty confident when it comes to using such tools, having grown up with using them, knowing what they, and myself, are capable of doing. But this one seemed to make me nervous each time I used it. When I say nervous, I really mean it scared the beejeebies out of me. The reason being that as soon as the blade began to spin, getting to full power straight away, the entire saw housing began to shake so badly that I was struggling to keep hold to it. And that was before the blade hit the wood I planned on cutting.
      There was just something with this that made me feel like it wanted to take my hand off as soon as pulled the trigger. It's like it's alive, a crocodile on steroids, a piranha with an attitude. It's one of those tools that should not be used by anyone with a nervous disposition as will put them off using power tools forever...

For the record, I am obliged to tell you the price of this, which I don't want to really as if you bought this due to the low price of £35 - £40.the price sounds good but is it worth losing a few digits if things go wrong?

To be honest, if I could give this minus stars I would.

• Dunlop Wellington Boots / Shoes / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      28.02.2015 22:39

Advantages

• "Great for camping"
      • Dry
      • Sturdy

Disadvantages

• "Not the most comfortable"

Solid recommendation!

For a company that is known for making long lasting tyres, wellingtons may be a strange product. However their expertise for all things rubber seem to have paid off as this sturdy boot is dream for puddles and flashing your designer brand at glastonbury!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown