24.08.2016 18:38

Advantages

• "scenery is beautiful"
      • "actors and characters are superb"

Disadvantages

• "missing book moments that would have 100% improved the film"

Unique film and great beginning to such an amazing trilogy

For many, The Lord of the Rings trilogy remains to this day one of the most memorable and magical book series of all time. Then in 2001, Peter Jackson turned these much loved books into a series of movies, which were highly successful.
      The first film in this instalment, The Fellowship of the Ring; was an absolutely superb introduction to The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
      The characters are as diverse as they are interesting. They range from hobbits to men, from dwarves to elves, from wizards to orcs and goblins. Each group of creatures have their own unique idiosyncrasies which help the viewer separate them, not to mention their varying appearances. You will find zero difficulty knowing whether a character is an elf, a dwarf, a man, etc. The quantity of characters is almost perfect. With just enough characters to make the plot lines and story interesting; yet not so many that you become bogged down in them as individuals. Plus, it’s a lot easier to remember specifics of a few characters and empathise with them; than attempting this with a huge and unnecessary amount of characters, that is often the case with interesting and in-depth series like this.
      The actors themselves are simply amazing. Every one of them is as perfect for their roles as they could possibly be. Their performances make you feel as though you aren’t watching a movie with actors and scripts, but the events taking place have a remarkable level of realism, for a series about magical creatures in a magical land. The cast boasts such fantastic acting talent as: Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins), whose singular performance helps guide you through the trials that the one Ring causes for its bearers; Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), who is so unique in that Aragorn is able to go from mysterious, to angry, to kind, in the blink of an eye; the great Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf the Grey), who is one of the greatest actors of the last century; and my personal favourite character, Samwise Gamgee, played by Sean Astin. The character himself, coupled with Sean Astin outstanding delivery, creates a performance that is not only endearing, but carries you through this movie with ease.
      Middle Earth in The Lord of the Rings movies remains to this day one of the most cinematically breath taking settings. Every single place in Middle Earth is unique and well crafted, bringing even more realism to these films. One thing I found particularly wonderful is how each locale reflected whoever lives there. The Shire, inhabited by the Hobbits, reflects their personalities in that, “hobbits have a love of all things that grow”; the shire is a green paradise, with fields stretching as far as the eye can see. The elves, who are wise, beautiful and graceful, inhabit places such as, Rivendell and Lothlorien. These places encompass natural beauty and feel very wistful and magical as you watch the characters pass through them.
      The story is rather long (particularly in the extended edition) and if you sadly cannot watch three 3-hour films (Fellowship, 2 towers, and return of the king), then this is unfortunately not the trilogy for you. However, if you don’t mind that, then this plot is gripping and interesting. The Lore of Middle Earth is akin to that of the “A Song of Ice and Fire” (Game of Thrones) universe; with its in-depth information about the various creatures and places in Middle Earth, that are scattered throughout this film. The journey that you watch the characters go in is never dull (how many times in movie history have we been forced to sit through a journey that has some rather dull moments). No, in this film there is always a new place to go, a new character to meet, or a new thing to learn.
      The extended edition is well worth purchasing. I had watched the theatrical version before I purchased the extended edition. To be honest, I wasn’t really bothered about getting an extended edition before I did – what could really be the difference? Well once I had invested in the extended edition, I realised how much better it is. With 30 minutes of extra footage to enjoy. The extended edition brings a whole new layer to the story.
      Unfortunately, I do have one issue with these films. It is a small thing, and unimportant to those who haven’t read the books. I have so I was rather disappointed for the amount of detail and scenes that were skipped over, even in the extended edition. For example, one chapter from the books that I did enjoy was Tom Bombadil, who helped Frodo, Merry, Pippin and Sam through one of the many dark forests in Middle Earth (and trust me, there are many). But to have him not so much as mentioned in the films was a huge disappointment. I know it’s a small nit-pick, but for a 3-hour film, there were many parts of the book left out that could have added more magic to the story.
      Overall the film is one of my favourites and is definitely one to watch. With the perfect mix of magical mystery and very real emotion and characters, this film sets up The Lord of the Rings trilogy spectacularly.

• Saeco Royal Cappuccino / Espresso Machine / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.08.2016 23:22

Advantages

• "Reliable "
      • "Stylish Look"
      • "Very Easy To Use"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Stylish but Pricey

I recently was in the market for a new espresso machine for my apartment, I myself am a man on the move especially in the morning. Upon the hefty purchase of the Saeco Royal Cappuccino machine - from Amazon - I placed it in my kitchen and I couldn't wait to integrate this wonderful piece of technology into my life. It was very easy to set up and it was easy to use as well, I often found it was very helpful and I was able to make a good quality coffee in the morning before work.

However as I have stated, this product has it's flaws and the biggest one for me is it's price, during my time using this machine I found myself always wanting to try and justify myself as to the value of this purchase, however with a purchase this hefty I would expect more than just a coffee, for the £570 price tag I could get 180 Cappuccino's from a high street coffee retailer such as Costa or Starbucks. Which leads you to expect the quality of Starbucks, however I didn't have that feeling.

I have still got the machine and it really has lasted quite in the past 2 months that I've had it, I cannot fault the reliability of the machine and on my worktop it looks like a neat piece of kit. Also when people have visited me they've highlighted the machine and it's sleek appearance, for many a modern person I cannot recommend this product any higher to you. I think if you've a bank balance that supports this purchase then it's a great purchase to make, however if you're unsure and want an average product then this is not the one for you I am afraid.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      23.08.2016 20:10

Advantages

• "I called to ask a few questions before ordering and they were very helpful "
      • "Way cheaper than any brand name with the same spec"
      • "I got exactly what I wanted"

Disadvantages

• Carmarthenshire

Don't pay extra for brand name computers

Very impressed with these guys, laptop is brilliant, great service, couldn't ask for more.

• print24 online printing / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      23.08.2016 00:18

Advantages

• price
      • quality

Disadvantages

• "images need to be exact"

Bons produtos! Boa relação qualidade preço!

Very good quality and prices!
      hard to upload own image.
      needed to change sizes more than once!
      that made my order take to long to arrive!
      The item was with great quality paper and printting. will use it again, now with images perfectly prepared!
      the flyers prices are good but the rest that i saw could be a bit more cheap.
      Im in portugal and the prices for portugal is a bit high compared to local printing companies.
      i would recomend it to friends... easy to get items prices. a bit of what you see is what you get!
      will try in near future other type of products to check the other produts quality, starting my companies is good to have one partner with the variety that PRINT24 have.
      Os portes poderiam ser gratuitos! mas claro que nao se pode pedir tudo! No geral acho uma empresa idonea e seria e que leva o seu trabalho com respeito! Tendo em conta que a minha primeira encomenda foi somente 250 flyers e de amostra nao posso me adiantar muito mais em relação aos produtos. irei em breve encomendar de facto mais e talvez nessa altura tenha mais com que dizer da empresa. Tirando o facto que foi dificil envia a minha propria imagem para produção, que por uma questao de "mm" foi preciso o meu designer rectificar a imagem o que acrretou custos para mim. Podiam de facto ser menos rigidos nesse ponto.
      Ou ter software proprio para que se pudesse ajustar no proprio pedido

• The Brood (Blu Ray) / Blu-Ray Movie / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      22.08.2016 22:52

Advantages

Disadvantages

sdsds

David Cronenberg. Hearing that name, it suddenly occurred to ME directly poster moving-picture show japanese guarantees. Why ought to the moving-picture show? as a result of that is the solely movie he's acquainted to ME, even supposing i personally had not had time to look at it (I'm not kidding). Anyway, cool posters, and so his image continues to be embedded in my mind. Okay, i one
      When used as a pronoun, it must be used consistently: One must manage one's money

22.08.2016 18:22

Advantages

• "original and interesting story concept"
      • "lovely characters"

Disadvantages

• "slightly bogged down in wanting to tick all the boxes"

Great first book to start off a series, if a little too rushed

“In the green hills of Dorset lies a hidden place of secrets, passion and fatal conflict”. The tag line on my copy of this book grabbed my attention instantly. The content didn’t completely disappoint. The book was indeed filled with “secrets, passion and fatal conflict”, if a little too much.
      The setting brings a brilliantly magical side to the mundane. Unlike books set in far away and fictional places, this book is set in Dorset. This creates a level of realism in the magical mysteries contained within the pages. It feels almost as if any person could stumble onto this completely separate and magical world within our own simple one.
      The characters are vibrant and provoke empathy from the reader, no matter their flaws. Each character is unique because it can be related to by one demographic of readers. The book itself is unique in that, although there is a debatable ‘main’ character, a reader doesn’t necessarily identify with them. Whether you identify with Sylvie, or Yul, or even Magus; the book is thoroughly enjoyable and a great first book to start the Stonewylde series (Book 2: Moondance of Stonewylde).
      However, it an attempt to tick all the metaphorical boxes that books today need to in order to sell big; this book makes the fatal error of trying to pack everything into one small novel. In my opinion anyway. By the time I had finished this book, the entire story seemed to have converged into one single story line, everything else had been practically resolved. I felt like the book would have had a larger impact if it had been slightly longer in order to include all the detail it did, removing the need to rush through certain aspects of the story. for example, the romance story lines felt like a last minute throw in and didn't seem entirely relevant or necessary for the rest of the story. The book was relatively short by today’s standards. This meant that, whilst some aspects of the plot were concisely and beautifully laid out, others lacked the detail required to really get a reaction from the reader.
      Despite its failings (however few there were), this book was a thoroughly enjoyable read and I would recommend it to my fellow readers and reviewers alike.

22.08.2016 14:08

Advantages

• "story is fun and interesting"
      • "Acting is all round amazing"

Disadvantages

• "could have explored other themes and storylines"
      • "finished too soon"

Despite disappointments, definitely one to watch (and then watch again)

Merlin is one of those unique shows that come along one in a blue moon. It’s a perfect mix of funny and sad, heart-warming and tragic. For anyone who grew up with stories of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round table; BBC’s Merlin is a refreshing retake on those myths we all love.
      Merlin, a young farm boy (yep, no old man with a beard in this show, well not at the start anyway), moves to Camelot, where he meets Guinevere, Gaius, Morgana, King Uther and pompous Price Arthur. Despite a rocky start, Merlin makes his mark on Camelot and everyone in it, leading to many adventures and a fully enjoyable show.
      I have given this show 4 stars, because the episodes made were absolutely brilliant, there wasn’t a single episode that I wholly disliked, as sadly happens with a lot of shows. The acting was absolutely superb from everyone. Most noticeably, Colin Morgan (who plays Merlin), who gave the performance of his life in every single episode.
      Sadly, this show has lost a star for me simply for finishing too early. Not just with the sheer number of episodes, but with the storylines as well. Once you have watched the show which I sincerely hope you do, you’ll see what I mean). A large part of the story that frankly could have been adequately addressed in 2-3 more episodes was skipped over, resulting in many viewers being rather disappointed with the ending.
      Despite this, the show is one that I have watched many times and will watch again, because it is one of a kind and I haven’t seen a BBC historical drama yet that can match up to it.

22.08.2016 13:43

Advantages

• "characters are vibrant and feel alive"
      • "deeply immersive"

Disadvantages

• " unless you don't like dragons and thrones"
      • none

If you do one thing in your spare time, please read this book.

I am a self-confessed member of the “read Game of Thrones after watching the TV show” (pause for anger from book fans); and I can say that one of my great regrets is that I didn’t read game of thrones sooner than I did. It is simply spectacular.
      Many will look at a book a large a game of thrones (approximately 800 pages) and find it too daunting to read. Excuses such as: having no time, or fear there will be too much detail that will weigh the story down. Fear not. I think everyone who has seen or even heard of the TV series “Game of Thrones” will know it as one of the most amazing shows of our time. The books are just as amazing as the series, if not better.
      The first book in “A song of Ice and Fire” series, “A Game of Thrones” begins you on the journey through so many people’s storylines. That is what makes this book and the subsequent books so unique. Instead of following a single, or even 2 or 3 storylines like most books; George RR Martin brings you a chapter on nearly every main character (trust me, there are a lot of them). As a result, you get to know and empathise with every character, no matter who they are. Despite the character narrating changing in every chapter, it is easy to keep up and understand. This is simply due to the frankly astoundingly beautiful writing talent of Mr Martin. The writing style changes slightly with ever different character’s chapter, creating the feeling of different people talking in each one. If fact, whilst reading this novel, I found me hearing the character’s voices and being able to picture them so clearly in my head.
      For those still contemplating whether or not to read the “A Song of Ice and Fire” series, I speak to you as a person who watched the TV series first (as most of you will have), then read the books. The show did not lower my opinion of the books in the slightest. I found the books to be a refreshing, interesting and gripping series of novels, which I have recommended insistently and loudly to most people I know.

22.08.2016 12:46

Advantages

• "Good brand"

Disadvantages

• "Not cheap"

Yale keeps out a gale

The other day a middle aged lady came around me mums and asked for three quid on behalf of an elderly neighbor in the street who needed emergency cash for the electric meter. My mum is no more gullible than any other pensioner but handed over the money anyway as it seemed plausible and only a small amount. The lady said she would pop the money back later that day. She didn’t, of course, a bog standard doorstep scam as old as time itself. Men are not so trusting and far more cynical and would never hand over money like that. The woman knows that people would not call the cops over three quid and she could target a few houses in the area in that time. The problem with my mom is she will fill in these junk mail competitions and doesn’t realize the sole purpose of those competitions is to amass a database of gullible pensioners, often with dementia, to target hem for scams by selling on the database to the unscrupulous. I’m not saying the lady that knocked the door had a list of addresses but it’s not uncommon. 75% of all internet scams snare older people, losing, on average, 6 grand. Although most fraud is online these days and gets into your house down a fiber optic cable it can still be at your doorstep. If you do have elderly parents living on their own it’s not a bad idea to fit a secure lock to shut their doors on people with bad intentions. Because doorstep thieves are very confident and plausible and only take small amounts then, as I say, few report it. There is a lot of this type of fraud going on unreported. You have to keep the old folks safe.

To put our minds at rest me and my brother went around mums and fitted one of these locks. The current lock on her front door (our old family home) is as old as mother and could be kicked through easily. Yale is the big name in locks, of course, and good quality kit and so first pick. This is a British 5 Lever Sashlock and top of the range stuff and as many of you know the state of your house security affects your house insurance payouts if you get robbed. You can’t argue with this brand name and even Jason Bourne couldn’t pick it. If you buy a cheap one from Wilko you may get hassle from the man from the Pru when you want your money. It’s ‘Insurance approved’, apparently. This lock is more suited to the backdoor as it has along handle key but mom is always losing small keys so not a bad idea in the end.

Fitting them can be a pain as the casing may not be standard and so you need to chisel out a bit of your door to get it to fit smug. Make sure it’s about the right size as any wobble in the door frame and it maybe useless. Ours was a snug fit and easy to get the old lock out and slot this in the new space. The five lever bit I am confused about but guessing it has five bits inside that need to be in place for it to open with the right key. You get two keys with it and always best to get two more cut just in case. When you first buy a lock that’s the best time to buy a spare cut key as its more suited to the internal mechanism that will get worn over time. A new key is more likely to work snugly into an older lock mechanism, apparently. You don’t get a door handle with this kit and so best to fit it just below the old handle but leaving enough gap not interfere with the handles mechanism in the doorframe. The lock cost around £35 but cheaper if you shop around. I paid £29.99.

On the whole a decent sturdy lock for a fair price. We are around mums a lot and so far no problems. I am actually quite pleased with my handiwork. It’s held in place by screws so best to tighten them when you feel any sort of give as these locks need to be aligned or they sometimes trip and you cant open them because the lock is designed not to work if it feels forced. No one wants to be climbing through windows at our age as it defeats the object of the exercise somewhat.

22.08.2016 11:58

Advantages

• "Competitive pricing"
      • "Highly customizable"

Disadvantages

Would use again for any PC requirements.

Purchased Intel NUC - able to easily select specific components to meet my requirements, plus specify the software I wanted/did not want loading. Delivered in reasonable time frame.

22.08.2016 10:03

Advantages

• "Great quality"
      • "Competitive pricing"
      • "Lets you customize everything"

Disadvantages

• "Takes for ever to start building"

I am happy with their service, will definitely be buying from them again in future

Overall I am very happy with my order, the laptop that I bought was really good and a lot better than what I thought it would be possible with my budget. The build quality was excellent, although it did take a long time to get into the building stage.

21.08.2016 18:27

Advantages

• "quick delivery"
      • "antivirus software is really good"
      • " accessories and extras"
      • "large selection of peripherals"
      • "regular updates while the computer is being built"
      • "packaging was extremely good"
      • "live updates on cost as you change out parts"
      • "clear and easy to use website"
      • "custom builds for the pc"

Disadvantages

• "honestly can't think of any"

absolutely fantastic!

The entire process was quick easy and painless. there was a large selection of parts for my pc all displayed on a very clear and organised website that updated the cost as you chose new parts so you knew exactly what you were going to pay and whether you could afford certain parts as you went without having to work anything out or load dozens of pages to make changes. The company kept in contact with me giving me regular updates about what was happening with my pc and what was left to do. I was contacted the day before my pc arrived by the company telling me that my pc was being delivered the next day , at what time and who by and i was also contacted by the delivery company with the same information. my pc arrived in very good and very protective packaging the next day at the time specified just as i was promised. it came with a wonderful guide to setting it up and caring for it as well as information on all the software that had been installed for me. i was and am very pleased with the entire process and will definitely be going back if i nee another computer

21.08.2016 14:52

Advantages

• "Built to a high quality"
      • "Cheap for the specs "
      • "Powerful "

Disadvantages

• "Battery life"

Brilliant laptop at a great price

Very good laptop, high quality and built very well. It runs everything I've tried on it extremely well usually reaching a solid 60fps on max settings. The laptop arrived much quicker than I expected it to, being built and arriving in under 2 weeks. The price was very cheap for the specs I wanted. The website was very easy to use and allowed me to easily change the specs and order without problem. They kept me informed of the current production stage well and made it easy to gauge when the laptop would arrive. The laptop does get quite hot when under load but this is understandable due to the compact size. the laptop dis quite light compared to some of her I've owned which is good as it makes it easy to transport. The finger print sensor is a bit temperamental and sometimes does not like to scan my finger properly but most of the time it is alright so I don't have a problem with it. My only real issue with the laptop is he battery life as it will only last about an hour under load which can be an issue sometimes but most of the time it will be used plugged in anyway so this is not too much of an issue but it would have been a bit better if the battery would have been bigger. But overall I am very happy with the laptop, it runs extremely well with next to no problems and was very good for the price.

21.08.2016 09:49

Advantages

• Powerful
      • "Easy to transport"

Disadvantages

• "Gets hot"

Does exactly what it says on the tin

Custom gaming laptop. The product itself does exactly what I wanted it to- extreme gaming. Thus far it has been able to run every game I have tried on the highest settings at a solid 60 frames per second. The product was built and delivered to me within 9 WORKING days, which I consider to be fast and acceptable for an item like this. The website was fast and simple to use, and at no point did I have any problems understanding terminology used. Payment went through immediately despite having used the fiance option which is available, and my order went through its initial stage fast. I had no problems during the build phase so PC Specalist have not had to contact me with this order, however, when I have e-mail them in the past they are quick to respond, straight to the point, and very friendly.
      The one negative I have about the laptop is that the underside in one particular area gets hot very quickly. This is understandable and so I am using a cooling tray underneath which helps mitigate the problem but only minor. The side fan of the laptop still also gets very hot but I will look into cooling options there in the future. This is not a problem for me when gaming at a desk but when I am on the go it can get a little uncomfortable after prolonged use- I am more worried about the lifetime of the components.

• FitBit Flex / Fitness / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      20.08.2016 23:12

Advantages

• Comfortable
      • "Nice design"
      • "Amazing customer service"
      • "Tracks sleep"
      • "Encourages movement"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't track heart rate"
      • "Syncing with Iphone is patchy"
      • "Expensive for what it is"

Despite the price, a great bit of motivational kit.

I purchased a fitbit as a christmas present to myself from Amazon as I play Roller Derby and I'm really lazy so I wanted something to encourage me to be more active. I was also swayed towards buying one by my friends who were using them to actively encourage each other to increase their daily steps.

I was so excited to get my fitbit and when it arrived, I found the packaging a bit over the top and very difficult to get into without tearing the whole box open, but I was excited so I didn't really care to much at the time. I had ordered a Large due to the advertised sizes, I have tiny wrists so I was concerned that the large was going to be too big. The good thing is that it is a perfect fit and that the smaller size must be for children.

The device itself is pretty good and despite what a lot of people have said, I find it to be quite accurate on all readings.

It measures:
      -Steps
      -distance walked (in Kilometres)
      -steps climbed
      -sleep quality

The app is pretty cool, it synchronizes with your fitbit device via bluetooth and displays the info from your fitbit in a funky way. You can also use the app socially to cheer on your friends and set up competitions with them which is really good for motivating each other. I've found that syncing your fitbit after letting the battery completely drain can cause problems and I've had to reset it completely a few times.

The app also includes handy widgets like notifications, keeping track of how much you're eating and drinking, and goals for every input.It will automatically track excercise like running and cycling and give you info about how you did.

I have since upgraded to a Fitbit Charge HR and I'm glad I spent the extra money for a heart rate monitor, all fitbits are really quite expensive but I feel that the extra money has been worth it. I did have an issue with the rubber wearing around the display. I contacted Fitbit about this and hey replaced my fitbit completely despite the fact that the damage was purely cosmetic.

I think that Fitbits will evolve to be a lot more powerful with the information they can provide you about your daily activity. Mine has been effective at getting me to walk more and move around where other apps have failed (mostly because I'm stubborn and lazy). I highly recommend them to anyone who is curious as to how much they actually exercise, how well they eat and sleep. Despite the price, I couldn't praise the fitbit enough, but I do advise going for the fitbit charge HR instead if you can afford the extra money.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown