01.08.2014 18:13

Advantages

• "Works well"

Sensitive eyes

I am always on the look out for a product that will work wonders for my tired looking saggy under eyes and after reading quite a few reviews of this product I decided to give it a go.

I love Burt's bees product for their natural healthy approach to beauty and use a number of their products already so was very happy to try this one.

According to Burt's Bees, this Sensitive Eye Cream is,"scientifically proven to moisturise the delicate eye area without causing redness or irritation. This lightweight eye cream helps reduce the appearance of under-eye puffiness."

This was exactly what I was looking for it to do so how did it fare on my under eyes? Well, first a little bit about the science behind it. The product is, "Formulated with softening Cotton Extract and it helps skin replenish its outer layer and minimize the effects of potential irritants such as harsh soaps or cleansers while Rice Extract moisturizes and Aloe soothes."

The cream comes in a little tube and is easy to squeeze out of the tube. The instructions tell you to use morning and night by dabbing just a few little dots under each eye and then rubbing them in gently. I actually find this really therapeutic and healing to do and feel like I am really giving my eyes a treat in the morning to wake them up and then soothe them at night just before bed. The cream is initially quite cooling and then it soaks in well leaving no trace and so in the mornings you are free to put make up over them a few minutes later.

The cream ingredients list that it is, "Infused with White Genepi Extract which is an ingredient known for its anti-inflammatory properties and Eyebright, which contains tannins that are thought to decrease inflammation.

I really think this cream definitely helps to reduce the puffiness around my eyes and I think I look less tired after using it and my face looks a bit brighter which is great.

The cream is Fragrance-free, hypo-allergenic and allergy-tested, all the things I love in a nice natural healthy product and I definitely think this cream is worth its £14.99 price tag as it works so well.

01.08.2014 17:03

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for all skin types

I have been using a muslin cloth for a long time now. I use it when completing my daily facial cleansing routine. I had a muslin cloth, that I ordered from amazon for a mere £1.00 and it did a fantastic job but then it was misplaced and I never found again! That was a sad moment but I knew I could easily purchase another one. Even though it was a great product I thought I would try a different brand, so I decided to go for Dr. Hauschka. I went for this one because I found out that they provided natural skincare products, which I thought would be really good for me as I have really sensitive skin.Therefore, natural to me translates to something that is much kinder to my skin than other products.

I purchased this cloth from feelunique.com for £5.00, which is a bit much for a face cloth but it was totally worth it.

I use this daily and it works a treat. It is not too harsh on your skin and I sometimes use it instead of a facial scrub as they can be too much to use on a daily basis, as it tires your skin in the long run. I simply soak it in hot water and rest it on my face, with or without a lotion cleanser on underneath, to steam my face for a bit. Then I gently wipe any cleanser off and voila. It exfoliates without being too harsh.

It is a really good product and more people should be aware of it.

01.08.2014 15:46

Advantages

• "Boo'ya Moon and the bad gunky"
      • "Lisey's character"

Disadvantages

• "Creepy stalker freaks me out"

One of king's least-publicised books, and one which just might surprise you

This is one of Stephen King's lesser known novels. It doesn't scream 'look at me' like The Shining, it waits for you to come around to its point of view. Lisey, the widow of an author with a very strange secret, is being stalked by one of his crazy fans (who I dislike and find pretty unnerving.) From this premise you would assume this book would be a realistic thriller. It so isn't.

Lisey's husband was not the man that his adoring public thought him to be, there was something a little more mystical, a little more supernatural, a lot more abusive, involved. King's passages that deal with Scott's traumatic childhood are chilling in their believability, but the place where Scott disappears to - Boo'ya Moon (a place name only a scared and unusual child would come up with,) is literally out of this world.

Boo'ya Moon is everything good and everything bad. Scary, dark, dangerous things lurk there, made even more creepy by their vagueness. It's an amazingly clever way to describe the someplace 'other' that authors go to.

King is never shy of adding a subplot or two (or more,) and he makes no exception in this case, to such an extant that I'm still undecided as to whether the stalker was the main plot, or Boo'ya Moon was - perhaps they were both the main plot. Then there's Lisey's crazy sister, who has her own connection to boo'ya moon, the 'bad gunky' that affected Scott's brother - and particularly worryingly requires a 'blood bool' or letting to get rid of, and Lisey's own memories of her life with Scott.

This book floats along at its own pace, confidant that the threads all tie together and the magic of King's words and imagery will take your breath away. This is a chilling book, deeply affecting and beautiful.

• Tiptel 160 / Telephone / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.08.2014 15:23

Advantages

• "Perfect for businesses"
      • "Hearing device compatible"
      • "Large name and number phonebook"
      • "Headset connection available"
      • "Good cord length"
      • "Clear screen"
      • "Large buttons"

Disadvantages

• "Boring design"

Great phone that lacks design but is clearly built for the office!

The Tiptel 160 is one of your everyday landline phones with some nice additions you'll really like. The Tiptel 160 has a an ok design that clearly belongs in an office but it should fit into most homes. It's got a basic layout which makes it practical but offers nothing unique or fancy. The phones been designed with large buttons with clear writing which means it's nice and easy to use. The nice clear display at the top features four clear lines which is new as I've only seen 3 on most phones. The cord on this phone is a good length which means you can go a decent distance with it before it becomes a problem. The phone itself also has a headset connection which is perfect for the likes of a call center or other business. The phone comes equipped with a magnetic field generator which provides optimal usage to users that have hearing devices. The 135 name and number phonebook also gives you the capability to have all your family, friends and other important contacts stored on it. This phone is very much geared towards the business user and has many functions which aid that like the headset connection and large name and number phonebook which are perfect for business. All in all the Tiptel 160 phone is very good offering many functions for all users but especially for businesses that need a top of the range that has what it needs to thrive in this everchanging world.

01.08.2014 15:03

Advantages

• "Good coverage"
      • "Looks natural"

Disadvantages

• Expensive

Expensive But Worth It

I received this Mac Mineralize SkinFinish Natural as a gift recently. It is a face powder which is enriched with a mineral formula to provide a light and natural cover.
      My product is packaged in a black cardboard box with full ingredients and company contact details printed on the back. There is a range of shades for this product and I have ‘Light Plus’ which is the colour “pale golden beige” and is one of the lightest colours available. It has a golden sheen to it which looks like it might be too dramatic but which is more translucent once on the skin.
      The powder is a pressed powder and mine came with no applicator brush. It comes in a little round compact case. The top of the case is transparent so you can see how much product is left. The lid clicks into the base but I have found that it is not that secure a fit and my lid slips back open if I carry it in my handbag.
      The powder is easy to pick up on a brush. The top of the powder is indented so you tend to pick up just how much you need. It is then easily transferred to the skin and adheres to the surface immediately. It is so easy to apply without needing to work a lot on getting even and full coverage. It just goes on effortlessly.
      The powder gives a beautiful and natural looking finish. I love that it doesn’t make me look too overdone but instead awards a natural look whilst allowing me to cleverly conceal any blemishes and discoloration on my face and neck. It has a lovely healthy glow to it that does not look like make-up shimmer but rather more simply gives the impression of healthy, glowing skin. It’s the perfect face powder for me, basically. It doesn’t ever look too thick and it never looks powdery on the skin but it still covers shine and discoloration so well.
      This is a rather expensive product at GBP23.00 for a 10g or 0.35 US OZ sized compact. I would, however, recommend investing in one of these if you need a very fine, sophisticated look for work or for a big event. I would definitely consider buying this again as I love it.

• Easyprint.co.uk / Online Shopping Misc / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.08.2014 14:47

Advantages

• Packaging
      • Price
      • Delivery
      • Service

Disadvantages

• "Website software needs slightly updated"

Brilliant price, service, delivery. I will be back for more soon!

Received my 5000 business cards yesterday and I am thrilled with the quality of them. Great colours and everything has come out exactly as I wanted. Delivery was quick too and they come very well packaged with plenty of protection inside the box.
      The brief chat I had with customer support before ordering was very helpful too so if you have any questions just send them a message or use the online chat.

I was concerned that the cards would not be very good as the price was much lower than other websites but I was wrong. I will definitely be back soon to get some more items.

My only idea for improvement is to the design software on the website as I think it needs updating slightly but nothing else to complain about!

Brilliant!

• BT Decor 2500 / Telephone / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.08.2014 14:32

Advantages

• "Perfect for older people"
      • "Hearing aid compatible"
      • "Solid build"
      • "Screen contrast feature"
      • "Clear screen"
      • "Large buttons"
      • "Nice design"

Disadvantages

A good solid phone that is perfect for all!

The BT Decor 2500 is just an everyday phone with some nice additions you'll really like. The BT Decor 2500 has a nice design offering something for everyone. It's also nicely laid out so not only is it nice to look at but it's practical too. The phones been designed with large buttons with clear writing which means it's easy to use at any age. It also comes with a nice clear screen at the top displaying three clear lines which are contrast controlled which means it can become easier to read which is a nice if not unique feature that really adds to the value of the phone. The cord on this phone is average an means you can only go a certain distance with it but it should be suitable for most. The phone itself is also hearing aid compatible which means it could be extremely useful with older people. Coupling that capability with the large clear buttons and clear screen with it's unique contrast function means this is ideal for older people. The phone also comes with a hands-free speakerphone which is a nice little addition for any phone. The 100 name and number phonebook also gives you the capability to have all your family, friends and other important contacts stored on it. But if you miss a call from someone you have a 30 minute long, digital answering machine which seems to be an average for most landline phones.. All in all this phone is very good especially for older people offering a good solid build and some really nice features.

• Tesco Prawn Layered Salad / Other Food / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      01.08.2014 14:21

Advantages

• tasty

Disadvantages

Yummy - but i cant find these on the shelves recently

I am not much of ne for shop bought sandwiches but my husband loves them! I was really pleased that I found this prawn pasta salad one day in Tesco's when my husband was trying to convince me that we should get something for lunch from there as we were on our way somewhere else.

I love prawns, pasta and vegetables and I found this delicious. I lust say that reading other reviews that people have written about the salad that many do not agree with me. I must add though that I do not like very strong tasting food and fairly bland food is normally a winner with me but not for everyone.

When I purchased this I think it cost about £2 so not bad and very comparative to the cost of the sandwiches where my alternative lunch options. Looking at the packaging though I do remember that it was pretty high in calories and so not something that I could regularly eat for lunch without putting a few pounds on.

The packaging of this product is good. It is a small plastic pit with a little disposable folk included. This means you don't need any cutlery yourself - maybe just a tissue in case you are a messy eater like me!

Since I first bought this salad in Tesco's I have been back looking for more. To my disappointment my local Tesco's never seem to have this anymore. I do hope that this comes back on to the shelves as I am now stuck for a lunch option when on the go until I find something new.

• Snowdonia Walking Boots / Sports Shoes / 4 Readings / 3 Ratings
      01.08.2014 14:14

Advantages

Disadvantages

Good for walks

I bought these as I needed some comfortable walking boots because our family occasionally go on random walks and I never had any shoes that were good enough. I did not want to wear trainers because I just did not so I finally decided to buy proper walking boots.

I really like these boots and have worn them on several occasions repeatedly. They are really durable especially in bad weather, whether it is raining, snowing or hailing. I find them to be very comfortable, even for me as my feet can be really sensitive to new shoes.

I bought these for a very good price for about £25.00, I think. This is a great price for the quality that you are getting. The shoes are extremely durable so you will not be having to buy a new pair anytime soon.

The boots are not to high on the ankle but they do give reasonable support when walking on uneven ground.

01.08.2014 14:11

Advantages

• "Can tailor inside pockets to suit"
      • "Small and compact"
      • "carry on shoulder or by handle"
      • "Not heavy"
      • "Protects the camera and lens"

Disadvantages

• "Bigger than just a simple camera bag"
      • "The over shoulder strap is odd and hard to balance properly"

Camera bag with movable sections which protests the camer and bits but is quite big

I bought this thinking it would solve my husband' camera bag issue. He usually wraps a T shirt around the camera and puts it in a back pack which I didn't think was a great idea.

This bag is quite big but will still fit inside the back pack so he carries it inside his backpack.

Initially he said it was rubbish as the spaces didn't fit his camera and lenses. he then discovered that they were movable and fixed with velcro so you can make the spaces what ever size you need.

I don't think this is the perfect solution but it does hold my husband's SLR plus lens and our other cameras as well so they are all in one place, protected and safe from other stupid people putting their over sized hand baggage on top of our small back packs in the plane.

The inside pockets are made from a soft fabric and slightly padded for extra protection. There is a separate section at the top of the bag for what ever you want to put there and this opens with a different zip.

The main bag opens fully with the zip so you don't have to fiddle around getting things in and out.

Th bag is a bit big and fiddly to open to use as daily bag to carry around out and about. My husband tends to just carry the camera as it is with the lens in a small bag in his day pack. If we are in a city then we just take the small point and shoot so we don't look too much like tourists and also saves lugging a heavy camera around.

So it has pluses and minuses and I would think it depends on how much you are prepared to carry around with you and how patient you are with changing lenses etc.

• Twinings Peppermint Tea / Tea / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      01.08.2014 13:45

Advantages

• "tasty and refreshing"

Disadvantages

Tasty and good for you

I suffer from IBS and as a result peppermint has become a little bit of a theme in my life. Peppermint is really good to help with digestion problems, but also it is really tasty when in tea. Peppermint tea is especially good to drink if you may have just overindulged over a big meal and need something to help everything to go down.

Just add a peppermint tea bag and some boiled water in to a cup and your done. Of course add a little cold water if you are impatient like me and want to drink your tea straight away. I would advise that you leave the tea bag in so that the flavour can really come out. Taking the tea bag out straight away can leave your tea a little flavourless. You can also add sugar to taste but I prefer it without.

Peppermint tea is really tasty and very refreshing when you are thirsty. I have managed to convert my husband and my dad to peppermint tea and neither need to have any for digestive reasons. This tea is also great as it has no caffeine in it. This means that for those that have no tea of coffee in the evenings due to the caffeine contact can now still enjoy a lovely hot drink.

I think these tea bags are normally on sale for around £1 so its not much of a strain on your purse. It is also available for sale in all supermarkets.

• secretsales.com / Online Shop / 2 Readings / 2 Ratings
      01.08.2014 13:43

Advantages

Disadvantages

• "time waste"
      • con
      • "mis-advertising "

Don't bother unless you love dissapointment

I really would be careful when ordering from this company and would definitely not use again based on my recent experience.

In June I ordered what I thought would be a full set of Cobra AMP Irons for a very good price of £99 especially good as the advertised RRP on SecretSales stated £450 big saving for what is a good set of clubs.

Delivery was reasonable and my delivery arrived within 3 weeks however rather than the full set of Cobra Irons that I expected I received one club a 4 iron, I assumed there must have been a mistake so called there customer service to tell them what had happened, the response was that the one club is all that I should have received. (anyone who plays golf and reads this will appreciate that a single iron is the equivalent of ordering shoes and getting just one, completely useless).

I have since gone through a month long battle, they have consistently accepted no responsibilities and maintained that what was delivered was correct and finally as compensation offered either a 25% discount which would result in paying £75 for a 4 iron or credit to use on future purchases. anyone that does read this would probably feel that someone who has been treated like this would not be keen to purchase anything else via said company so credits really would not be an acceptable settlement.

Still there is unfortunately no conclusion to this so once again I advise anyone who is considering buying something from SecretSales to be careful and expect problems and a likely con.

01.08.2014 13:30

Advantages

• yummy

Disadvantages

Chocolate and Biscuits - it is a winner with me!

I love chocolate and I love biscuits. Clearly this is a product for me! It tastes delicious!

I don't see these chocolate bars around very much. Generally just in large supermarkets but not in little local shops. I have only ever seen these available in the large size which is a shame. It would be great if they were available in the small standard chocolate bar size as it makes you feel less greedy. Of course a big bar of chocolate is great and probably works out as more economical - but only if unlike me you do not have to eat it all at once! Also a smaller bar are more impulse buys whereas I tend to think more about price when it is the larger ones.

The Dairy Milk chocolate is lovely and creamy with just the right amount of sweetness. The shortbread adds a lovely bit of crunch to your chocolate and also a little bit of saltiness. This is a lovely flavour and texture combination and I love it!

Generally I have seen Dairy Milk Shortcake Biscuit bars for sale at around £2 which I do think is a bit pricey. However, they are occasionally on special offer at my local Tesco's and its worth getting this at around £1.50 (only at 50p saving I know but it seems a lot of a difference when you are down the chocolate aisle and your on a budget).

I would recommend this product to any one who like me loves chocolate and biscuits!

• The Bride Wore Black (DVD) / DVD / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      01.08.2014 13:27

Advantages

• "Dark and suspenseful"

Disadvantages

• "Not always keeping up the same level of engagement"

Never Kill a Bride's Husband On Her Wedding Day

Based on the book by Cornell Woolrich, "La Mariee Etait en Noir" ("The Bride Wore Black," 1968) is a revenge film starring Jeanne Moreau as vengeful bride Julie Kohler out to kill five men, who were part of accidentally killing her husband on their wedding day while playing around with a rifle. The film unfolds as a nicely Hitchcockian suspense story that holds its interest fairly well despite a few moments where the storytelling tends to get a bit more plodding. Admittedly the movie somewhat looses its grip when it gets to its fourth victim, the womanising artist Fergus (played by Charles Denner), which misses out on some of the escalation of situations inherent in the previous three marks Moreau's vengeful bride goes through, but the final twist in her plan at the end of the film is rather clever. However, the scenes involving lonely bachelor Coral (Michel Bouquet) getting a surprise date to brighten up his miserable life, and politician Morane (Michel Lonsdale) getting a visit from the "teacher" of his young son, both stand out in their well-delivered suspense and particularly sadistic outcomes by our coldly methodical bride.

Savaged by French critics upon release and considered a significant disappointment by director Francois Truffaut himself, it's not quite as bad as all that, and Moreau is quite good as the central character. Still, there certainly are moments that drag a bit and the morbid tone can be a little too pervasive for some to derive all that much enjoyment out of it, but this is still a largely worthwhile film to see regardless. Fine colour cinematography by Raoul Coutard, who had several of disagreements with Truffaut throughout the production, and music is suitably by Alfred Hitchcock's former go-to-composer Bernard Herrmann, their second and last collaboration as they just couldn't see eye-to-eye on anything in the movie. Incidentally, Hitchcock himself saw the film and said he liked it despite also voicing criticism over some inherently contrived leaps-of-faith. (c) berlioz 2014

01.08.2014 12:52

Advantages

• "Smells pleasant"
      • "effective scrub"
      • "Easy to use"
      • "Good waterproof container"
      • "Readily available in many shops"
      • "Cheap price"

Disadvantages

• "not much moisturising"
      • "leaves the scrubby bits in the bath"
      • "Not all natural ingredients"

A cheap body scrub that has sandy bits which get left in the bath

This is a pretty basic scrub available in most stores selling toiletries and many bargain shops. It is pretty cheap and usually costs around a pound.

It comes in a plastic screw top tub which is handy if you keep it on the bath or in the shower as the product does not end up getting wet inside.

I find it scrubs well but I prefer scrubs which are more natural and have shea butter or similar that moisturise as well. I also prefer scrubs that have dissolving scrubby bits like salt or sugar so that they don't harm the environment not leave bits in my bath. These are apricot stones ground so will decompose but they feel like sand in the bath or shower and I hate that.

It smells pleasant enough but not that great, it is not offensive but it isn't something I would say I like particularly.

So it does the job and is a good price but far from being a favourite of mine.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown