01.09.2015 03:49

Advantages

• perfect

Disadvantages

perfect size and easy to use

I've never personally had my own laptop before, i've just used the family laptop, which is an older, chunkier laptop, so when i got to choose my own i wasn't sure what to look for. i liked the idea of having a ultrabook as they're much slimmer. as this ultrabook only had a 14 inch screen i wasn't sure whether i'd find that too small or not, but it isn't at all! because the whole ultrabook is slimmer and light weight, it's a perfect size! i only got it about a week ago and have been on it constantly. it has great screen brightness with easily adjustable setting for everything, easy to use if you know how to use a computer.

there is one bad thing about this ultrabook, i purchased one with an i3 core processor expecting it to be much faster than anything i already have, but was a bit disappointed by the speed of the internet. it's only very slightly slow, but for something i got told was much faster, it's nothing too impressive. although, this could just be due to the connection to my home wifi system that is making it slightly slower, i'm not sure.
      other than that i really really love it!

• Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion / Sun Care / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 01:10

Advantages

• "Moisturising "
      • Cheap
      • "Easy to apply"
      • "Natural looking tan"

Disadvantages

• "Fake tan smell"

Perfect for pale skin. You can't go wrong!

I love love love this product. I am extremely pale and the fair to medium shade was not too dark for me as you can gradually build up the colour through applications. I didn't even bother to use a mitt with this in the end and just applied it as a moisturiser and washed my hands afterwards. I didn't get any streaks or patches at all because it is so light. It dries quickly and settles into your skin well. It was £2 something for it as it was on offer and for the price, it is fantastic! In fact, I didn't even pay anything for it because I had the points on my boots card and its lasted me well all summer. I still have quite a fair bit left. I would recommend this product to anyone, even those with darker skin tones as there is also a medium to dark skin bottle. Being the colour of milk bottles I have experimented with numerous self-tanners over the years with very limited success and I think I may have finally found the product I've been looking for. The only thing I would say is that it does not last very long. You kind of need to put it on every day to get a really noticeable result which can be a bit of a pain. I would say it lasts about two days but by the second day it is already starting to fade. It lasts about shower and then you need to put more on. I would say you could maybe get away with putting it on every two days if you wanted to. Overall an amazing product for the price.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      01.09.2015 00:41

Advantages

• "Great service"
      • "Great price"

Disadvantages

Best buy

I received a beautiful and very fast and durable notebook. Great price and service, I recommend and I do not regret the purchase.

01.09.2015 00:39

Advantages

• "Removes all traces of make up"
      • "Soft and gentle on your skin"

Simple wipes

I have always used wipes to cleanse my face and these Simple kind to skin wipes are definitely my favourite. The full retail price is £3 but I have never actually paid this for them and I think that this is very expensive for a product like this. I buy a lot of toiletries from discount stores and can usually pick these up for around £1.

There are thirty wipes in the pack which is a plastic packet with a lid similar to baby wipes which you open to remove the wipes and then click back to secure the packet. I have always found them to clip back very securely and I have never experienced them not closing properly or the wipes drying out. The wipes themselves are quite thick and strong and feel moist to the touch but not too wet to be uncomfortable or messy to use. They don't really smell of anything apart from maybe a bit fresh and they are hypo-allergenic so are suitable for most skin types.

I have always found that one wipe is plenty to remove all my make up even if I have gone out in the evening and have been wearing full make up. They really do remove waterproof mascara and this is sometimes what I wear and I find that I don't really have to rub too hard to remove it.

They do feel moist and cool when I am using them and I am happy that they are very gentle and not abrasive in any way. I will start off first wiping round my face all the way to my hair and jawline, then I will gently wipe down to my neck. Lastly I will wipe over my eyes which takes the longest as mascara is the hardest to remove, however with several sweeps to my upper and lower eyelashes is usually sufficient to remove all traces of my mascara.

These wipes are great for every day but particularly when you go on holiday as they don't take up too much space or weight and are easy to transport as they won't leak or split like a bottle of cleanser or moisturiser can. I find that they always remove my make up and leave my skin feeling soft and smooth and I have never experienced any soreness or irritation with them. I recommend these wipes especially at £1 and I will continue to use them as they are soft and gentle and remove my make up with minimum effort.

01.09.2015 00:33

Advantages

• "Removes waterproof mascara"

Effective make up remover

I bought this Helena Rubinstein make up remover from a local chemist when it was on offer and got it for just £3 which is a lot less than the recommended retail price of around £16. I find that a good make up remover like this one removes my make up quickly and easily.

It has a dual action formula whilst still being gentle and it conditions your skin as well as cleansing. The bottle is clear plastic and the lotion is blue so you can clearly see how much liquid is left and it displays the usual ingredients, contact details and instructions for use.

To use I will tip the bottle onto a cleansing pad or ball of cotton wool and then wipe it gently over my eye area. I find that I don't have to apply much pressure as the liquid seems to do the work removing my make up including liquid eye liner and waterproof mascara. I find that I only have to use a small amount and it seems to spread out so it really is good value and also it doesn't leave any smudges or little bits of mascara like some others I have used. It does have an oily feel when you apply it and I find that I need to wipe it off completely otherwise it can leave an oily film on my skin but you only need to wipe the area with a clean part of the pad or cotton wool and it comes off easily. It is fragrance free and is suitable for sensitive skin and I have always found it to be very gentle leaving my skin feeling soft and smooth.

I do really like this eye make up remover and find it does a very good job of removing my make up leaving my skin feeling clean and fresh. When I use this product I never find any traces of make up on my pillow in the morning or underneath my eyes, so this is definitely recommended by me and well deserves five stars.

01.09.2015 00:01

Advantages

• Brush
      • "Length and Volume"

Disadvantages

• "Sometimes goes clumpy"

Great product. Worth the money, really accentuates lashes.

This product is definitely a good buy. Although I have recently found another maxfactor mascara that I think I prefer (the manga lashes one) this one is great. I have the black non-waterproof version and I find it great for an everyday product.

It volumises and lengthens your lashes and can add considerable impact if that's the look you want to go for. I tend to like to have quite bold lashes and this product can achieve this. I bought the waterproof version before and found it incredibly cumbersome to remove (guess this is so it does the job) so this mascara is great. I find it sometimes goes clumpy if you do not wipe the brush off a bit before you use it but I like the shape of the brush itself and find it easy to use. It is around an average price for a mascara so I would say it is good value for money. I have bought the product a couple of times now and would continue to buy the product in the future.

Maxfactor products in my experience are usually good quality and this mascara lived up to my expectations. I tend to use two mascara's sometimes, one to get the volume and one to lengthen and separate out and de-clump lashes afterwards but with this mascara I often didn't need to although I tend to run out of it fairly quickly. It is worth paying the extra £2 or so for this one rather than the standard maxfactor false lash mascara as it really is better.

• Beyonce Heat Eau de Parfum / Perfume & Fragrance / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      31.08.2015 23:40

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't last very long"

Good present for a pre-teen?

I guess you get what you pay for. I was bought this product from a relative one Christmas and although it sat in the box for a while I used it when I ran out of my usual perfume. It is to be honest, better used as more of a body spray as it lasts about as long and the scent is similar. I describe it as a young, fruity scent that to be honest smells a bit cheap, but it is pleasant none the less. As it is not that strong or overpowering I imagine it will be somewhat liked by the majority of tastes. The bottle is very nice and the lid clicks on and off easily. It is quite a large bottle and lasts a long time- I still have loads left. Celebrity-endorsed perfumes are in general never that good and this one falls into the same category if I'm honest. If nothing else the fact that it's Beyonce does make it a good present. It came also in a set with a shower gel/body wash which actually was really nice. I prefered this to the actual perfume and was a nice change from my usual shower gel. I would suggest it as a good perfume for a 9-13-year-old girl maybe.... Overall it is not a bad perfume for the price and I guess it meets my original expectations of the product but the body wash is better in my opinion. Perhaps just buy this one instead.

• Toshiba BDX3200 / Blu-Ray Player / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 23:33

Advantages

• "Easy To Use"

Disadvantages

• "Limited Features"

Good Product To An Extent

Key Features: Full-HD 3D playback; DivX HD, MKV, MP3 & JPEG playback; USB port; BD Live; Built-in picture adjustments
      Manufacturer: Toshiba

The BDX3200 is one of two Blu-ray players Toshiba has launched this year to partner its latest range of 3D flat panel Regza TVs. The BDX3200 is the better-specified of the two, adding 3D playback to the BDX1200’s spec sheet for a premium of around £45.

Previous Toshiba players have been rather conservative affairs, shunning the eye-catching features of its Japanese peers for straight-up affordable Blu-ray movie playback, and a quick scan of the spec sheet reveals the BDX3200 offers more of the same (aside from 3D of course). That’s not necessarily a bad move though, given that not everyone cares about streaming files round the house or watching YouTube clips on their TV

Toshiba certainly hasn’t ignored the design conscious among you, dressing the BDX3200 in alluring gloss-black bodywork adorned by a glinting silver strip running along the top of the fascia and an illuminated Blu-ray logo in the middle. We’re not talking heavyweight build quality here as the deck is light as a feather, but it’s certainly easy on the eye – not to mention slim, with a height of just 42.5mm. The tiny display panel is quite difficult to read though, and the row of buttons on the right looks a little gawky next to some of its rivals’ sexy touch-sensitive controls.

Next to that display panel is a USB port hidden behind a flap to stop younger members of the family jamming Twiglets into it (other snacks are available). That’s backed up on the rear panel by a modest array of connections, including HDMI v1.4, composite, analogue stereo and coaxial digital audio outputs. Once again Toshiba hasn’t yet gone down the Wi-Fi route, which leaves the Ethernet port your only way of getting online – fine if your router is situated close by, a logistical nightmare if not.

Being a budget player it comes as no surprise to find there isn’t a second HDMI output for non 3D-ready AV receivers and no multichannel analogue outputs, but it’s worth pointing out.

• Sony S380 / Blu-Ray Player / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 23:31

Advantages

• "Awesome Picture Quality"

Disadvantages

• "Not Divx Supported"

Good Product For The Price

Key Features: Two USB ports; Wi-Fi ready with wireless LAN adapter; BRAVIA Internet Video; Music, video & photo playback via USB; Picture presets and noise reduction
      Manufacturer: Sony

Sony’s BDP-S370 was one of the best budget Blu-ray players of last year, offering a number of snazzy features not always found on entry-level players, such as access to web content via Sony’s brilliant BRAVIA Internet Video. The Japanese AV behemoth follows it up this year with the BDP-S380, which looks like a similar proposition to its predecessor including its lack of support for 3D – if that’s what you’re after, you’ll need to step up to the BDP-S480, S580 or S780.

Like most players at this price point, the BDP-S380 is a slim, slinky unit that should pose no problems being slotted into a crowded AV rack. It’s designed to match Sony’s Monolithic TVs, and as such there’s a moody gloss-black fascia and a protruding lip at the bottom that sports a row of buttons. This gives it a sleek hi-tech appearance, plus the subtle white light in the centre provides extra allure. On the right hand side is a small but legible display panel and a USB port, while overall build quality is satisfying thanks to the sturdy aluminium bodywork.

Rear panel connectivity is pretty much what you expect from an entry-level player like this. There’s an HDMI output of course, which pipes those pixels to your hi-def TV and passes HD audio to your amp. It’s backed up by component, composite, analogue stereo and coaxial digital audio outputs, but there’s no optical output and no multichannel analogue outputs.

The Ethernet port is on hand to provide a wired connection to the internet, but thankfully the BDP-S380 supports Wi-Fi if you buy the UWA-BR100 wireless LAN adapter, and Sony has kindly put a second USB port on the back to house it.

• Panasonic DMP-BD65 / Blu-Ray Player / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 23:29

Advantages

• "Small & Portable"

Disadvantages

See Review

Panasonic was one of the first brands to build Blu-ray players, and it shows; this mid-range deck is one of the best around, and great value despite its above average price.

The Blu-ray player market has been awash with £99 products since the last festive season, but Panasonic has been trying up the ante for some time now – see its (still unique) Blu-ray recorders from 2009, a range that's about to be followed up by its DMR-BW780 and DMR-BW880 models.

Panasonic is all over Blu-ray. As well as some portable models, it's also about to unleash a 3D Blu-ray player, the £399 DMP-BDT300, though for now 2D fans are well catered for; its DMP-BD65 is sandwiched between the £169 DMP-BD45 and £299 DMP-BD85.

The former is a no frills deck and the latter a high-end player with built-in Wi-Fi and DLNA networking, but all include the hugely impressive PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus circuitry.

And that picture-boosting circuitry proves to be the DMP-BD65's biggest asset, despite it being loaded with extra features.

Viera Cast is the most obvious add-on; a bespoke platform for broadband TV and information services, though it's marred by a lack of content – YouTube just isn't enough any more.

Elsewhere is a USB slot (with dubious DivX HD compatibility – see below) and, of course, access to BD Live, though there's still no built-in storage for BD Live downloads. And, oddly, there's no DLNA networking on the DMP-BD65 despite it being able to plug in to a broadband home network.

• Sharp BD-HP21H / Blu-Ray Player / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 23:28

Advantages

• Reliable
      • "Looks Very Pleasing"

Disadvantages

Good Product

The BD-HP21H is the successor to Sharp's debut Blu-ray deck, the BD-HP20H - a generally impressive player that was hampered by its Profile 1.0 spec, limited format support and lacklustre DVD playback. Here's hoping the follow up shows some signs of improvement.

It gets off to a good start with news that Sharp has upgraded the BD-HP21H's spec to Profile 1.1, enabling you to enjoy BonusView features like picture-in-picture commentaries. But with so much BD Live content now available, and several Profile 2.0 players on the market for a similar price, it already makes the Sharp feel a little outdated. This is definitely a player for those who want to watch hi-def movies but aren't fussed about interactive extras.

Like the HP20H, the HP21H also decodes Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital Plus into high-resolution PCM. Not only does this allow people with HDMI-equipped receivers without HD audio decoding to enjoy these formats' higher sound quality, but it also lets the player mix the primary and secondary audio tracks on BonusView discs. As for DTS HD Master Audio and High Resolution Audio, they can both be transferred in bitstream form to an external receiver, but with PCM output selected, it only outputs the 5.1 core at 48kHz.

On the outside the player looks similar to the HP20H but does away with the unfashionable mirrored fascia in favour of a simple black finish, which is a wise move in our opinion. The front panel is plain and uncluttered, sporting only two buttons and a blue ring that can be turned off in the setup menu. It's certainly not the most attractive Blu-ray deck out there but far from offensive.

On the rear panel, Sharp has jettisoned many of the sockets found on the HP20H in a clear cost-cutting exercise. Gone are the 5.1-channel analogue outputs found on the HP20H, which rules out the possibility of listening to HD audio on legacy amps without HDMI inputs. Also missing are the S-video and coaxial digital audio outputs, neither of which is essential but it limits your options nonetheless.

• HP Pavilion G6-2355SA / Laptop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      31.08.2015 23:27

Advantages

• "Fairly fast"
      • "Nice Keyboard"
      • Lightweight

Disadvantages

• "Apps "
      • "Battery life"

Decent laptop but nothing special. Had a few problems

This laptop pretty much lived up to my expectations and is ideal for simple use e.g web browsing, creating documents. However, having only had this laptop for less than a year I was disappointed to discover that the battery has already run down even I don't feel I left it plugged in charging for long periods of time. I now can't use the laptop at all without having it plugged into the mains which can be quite irritating. It is fairly fast browsing as long as you regularly clear cookies ect. and the keyboard and trackpad are comfortable to use (not too sensitive) The apps that have been installed on this however, are fairly shocking, in particular, the video player and DVD app. They repeatedly crash and now I can't even get them open for longer than a couple of seconds. I have tried downloading replacements from the store, but these do not seem to be much better- this may just be my hatred of windows 8 though.

I find the storage and memory space sufficient enough to house all of my pictures, videos and documents. Overall this laptop is nothing special and you may be able to get more for your money elsewhere. It wasn't that cheap a laptop and to be honest I kind of wish I'd saved up for a bit longer and bought a macbook instead as at least you know it will be durable and good quality. Plus I wouldn't have had to deal with windows 8!

31.08.2015 23:24

Advantages

• "Good Looking Gloss Speakers"

Disadvantages

Good Product Visually and In Performance

Key Features: 1,000W power output; 3D Blu-ray playback; Smart Hub & DLNA media streaming; Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth; Supplied iPod dock
      Manufacturer: Samsung

Introduction
      The HT-E5530 is one of many 5.1-channel Blu-ray systems in its current range, offering 3D playback, smart functionality and wireless media streaming – not to mention a full 1000W sound system. It’s a scaled down version of the 7.1-channel HT-E6750 system that blew us away earlier this year, doing away with luxuries like the hybrid valve amp and wireless rears, but keeping the feature count as high as possible for its meagre price tag.

The system comprises a pair of tower speakers for the front channels and compact bookshelf boxes for the rears, joined by a slim centre speaker and small passive subwoofer. This configuration makes it ideal for those who want the sound quality benefits of front floorstanders but don’t have space for towers all around the room. If you prefer, Samsung also offers a version with towers for both the fronts and rears (HT-E5550) and a version with compact speakers all round (HT-E5500).

Samsung HT-E5530 - Design
      The speakers are visually stunning, coated in a lustrous gloss black finish that brings instant glamour to the room. The towers, which come in three parts that have to be screwed together, stand 1.2m tall and exude elegance. They’re two-way ‘open type’ speakers, which basically means there’s a phase plug in the middle of the two mid/bass drivers and they’re not hidden behind a mesh.

The centre and surrounds are styled in the same fashion – basically gloss black boxes – but in much smaller cases. The rears stand just 141mm high, making them easy to place on furniture, while the centre’s horizontal slim depth and horizontal alignment is ideal for slipping under the TV.

One word of warning though – they may look good, but the build quality of the front speakers is disappointing, particularly the light, hollow middle section that links the base and main speaker, which doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.

The brains and brawn of the operation is the receiver unit, which offers Blu-ray, DVD and CD playback as well as Dolby True HD/DTS HD Master Audio decoders and Samsung’s Crystal amplifier. It’s a quietly stylish unit, with a sleek black finish and roughly the same dimensions as Samsung’s regular Blu-ray players.

On the front is a clever LED display with a row of illuminated touch-sensitive controls built into it. Consolidating everything into this single panel keeps the rest of the fascia uncluttered, although on the right hand side you’ll find chunky volume and power controls, plus a USB port.

Samsung HT-E5530 - Connections
      On the back is an HDMI output and two HDMI inputs that turn the HT-E5530 into a conduit for other HD sources, such as digital TV receivers and games consoles. All of the sockets are 3D-ready, with ARC available on the output.

31.08.2015 23:23

Advantages

• "Operating System"
      • "Picture Quality"

Disadvantages

Interesting Product

Key Features: 3D Blu-ray playback; 520W claimed audio power; Viera Connect; Wireless LAN ready; DLNA certified; iPod/iPhone support; Smartphone remote control; 2.1ch Cinema Surround Plus
      Manufacturer: Panasonic

We’ve recently checked out three of Panasonic’s 2012 standalone 3D Blu-ray players, all of which mix abundant features with the company’s incredible picture quality. But if you want to get yourself a sound system at the same time, you might want to check out Panasonic’s wide range of all-in-one systems.

The one we’re looking at here is its entry-level 2.1 channel system, the Panasonic SC-BTT182. As well as a combined Blu-ray player and AV receiver, which outputs a claimed 520W of audio power, you get a pair of compact speakers and a passive subwoofer in the box. That makes it an ideal choice if you want bigger, louder sound than TV speakers can provide, but simply can’t accommodate larger towers or surround speakers in your living room.

Design

The speakers supplied with the Panasonic SC-BTT182 measure just 139mm tall by 80mm wide, a perfect size to plonk on top of your TV stand without getting in the way. Their shape is a straightforward cuboid with no curves, but the gloss black finish gives them all the elegance they need. If you want to save even more space, they can be mounted on the wall using the holes on the back.

The plasticky cabinets aren’t up to the same standards as a dedicated speaker system a la Wharfedale or Boston Acoustics, and the plastic springclip terminals are par for the course, but they’re solidly put together and look stylish. Step up to the higher-end SC-BTT282 and you get slightly larger speakers, the same ones that accompany Panasonic’s flagship SC-BTT590.

The passive subwoofer is much smaller than most bass boxes, measuring 289.5mm high. It’s the perfect size for tucking away in a corner, although with its matching gloss black finish it’s attractive enough to have out on show. A large port on the front is the only feature of note, while a pre-attached cable pokes out of the back. Being a passive sub there are no controls to worry about, as its performance is all governed by the receiver.

31.08.2015 23:21

Advantages

• "Ease Of Use"

Disadvantages

Good Product

Key Features: 3D Blu-ray playback; Cinema Surround Plus; DLNA certified; Viera Connect; Built-in Wi-Fi & iPod dock
      Manufacturer: Panasonic

The Panasonic SC-BTT282 is the step-up version of the SC-BTT182 system we reviewed earlier this year. It’s a 2.1-channel system that aims for maximum movie excitement with minimum living room intrusion, and as ever Panasonic’s usual range of hi-tech features is thrown in for good measure. It boasts a more generous spec than the BTT182, although its £70 premium will take a greater toll on your wallet.

Design

The biggest difference between the two systems is the size of the speakers. The SC-BTT182 came with a pair of basic dinky front speakers, while the BTT282’s are larger and more elegant, fashioned to look like the premium speakers that accompany the flagship SC-BTT590 system, complete with back-sloping stands.

They look great, with a flat front panel that allows you to glimpse the full 6.5cm full-range driver and a fashionable gloss-black finish, which oozes contemporary charm. Not only are they pretty but versatile too – the stands can be removed and the speakers can be flipped horizontally, which may better suit your setup.

n the downside, when you pick them up their build is light and plasticky, which sadly is part and parcel of the affordable all-in-one system experience.

The same goes for the subwoofer, which is a passive model and doesn’t have its own power source – like regular speakers the amplified signal is passed onto it by the main unit. This usually results in inferior performance to an active subwoofer, but again it’s a way to cut costs. On the plus side it’s incredibly compact, which won’t cause you any installation headaches, plus the gloss black styling makes it easy on the eye.

Running the show is the SA-BTT282, a combined Blu-ray player and AV receiver. At 430(w) x 38(h) mm, it’s roughly the same size as Panasonic’s latest Blu-ray players, and should slip into an AV rack with minimum fuss. It doesn’t push the boat out aesthetically, using a simple black box design with a glossy black fascia and a satisfyingly robust aluminium casing, but this anonymous styling makes it easy to match.

Most of the front panel is taken up by a flap that hides an SD card slot and USB port plus play and stop keys (missing on the BTT182), but one section on the right is given over to a cleverly concealed iPod/iPhone dock tray, (also not found on the BTT182).

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown