• Schroder - Amity Gaige / Fiction Book / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 04:44

Advantages

• "Interesting characters "
      • "Interesting premise "
      • "Well written "

Disadvantages

• "The end leaves things slightly unresolved "

Worth reading

I read this recently as it caught my eye in Foyles even though I had never heard of the book or the author. I ended up buying a copy on Kindle.

The book drew me in from the very start. It is narrated by a father, Eric Kennedy or Erik Shroder. He is telling about what has happened "since Meadow and. I disappeared" and the book is addressed to the reader as if he is talking directly to you, though he clarifies he is talking with his wife in mind.

We see early on and from the blurb description that it is about a custody issue and about a dad who goes on the run with his daughter. This was a topic which interested me as I often like books about relationships and families where the characterisation is good.

Reading this book you are asked to consider the common assumption that a child should usually be with the mother when parents split up. We see the relationship between father and daughter here from the fathers perspective but what made it interesting to me is that he is an unreliable narrator so we never know whether we can take him at his word.

The protagonist of this book is a bit unpredictable and has completely reinvented himself once before, as we find he left his childhood and roots behind and invented a totally new persona which he kept up for life, therefore we doubt slightly what he is saying as we know he is a master of deception.

A book that really kept me interested and I would recommend.

• Burial Rites - Hannah Kent / Fiction Book / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 04:30

Advantages

• "Gripping page turner "
      • "Based on true historical fact"
      • "Interesting setting "
      • "Well written"

Disadvantages

• "Nothing "

Beautifully written, a story that stays with you

Burial Rites is the debut novel by Hannah Kent and I strongly recommend it.

This is the story of Agnes Magnusdottir who was convicted of murder and was the last person to be executed in Iceland in the 1800s.

The author was fascinated by this story after hearing about it as an exchange student in Iceland and the book was originally written as part of her phd, but it is completely accessible and defintely written as a novel and not as a piece of academic writing.

The book is beautifully written and draw you into the landscape and lifestyle of Iceland in those times. The characters have a good amount of depth to them and you are encouraged to think about how people are appeared and whether they can be taken at face value. It is about justice in the criminal justice sense and also about the concept of a fair society as many of the characters live in poverty and have no chance of ever really improving their lives. It's about relationships and compassion.

I really enjoyed the Icelandic setting,and this may appeal to people who like the currently popular Nordic crime fiction and TV shows etc, though Burial Rites offers something a little different.

The fact that this was actually based on a true historical happening made it even more interesting to me. Hannah Kent wanted to show a more sympathetic version of Agnes as history had reduced her to a bit of a characature in Icelandic culture.

A gripping story, which I found unputdownable and was hooked on.

• Vista Oasis (Spain) / Hotel International / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 02:06

Advantages

• " clean accommodation. Lovely hotel. Great facilities. Decent price."
      • Spacious

Disadvantages

• "Food is not amazing."

I would definitely recommend staying here and will be returning next year!

** REVIEW OF VISTA OASIS BUNGALOWS, MASPALOMAS **

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Vista Oasis Bungalows from 2nd to 9th July this year. We stayed all inclusive in a 1 bedroom apartment, which cost £325 for both of us. Transfers from Gran Canaria airport to the bungalows cost around £10 each and took around 1 hour 30 minutes.

* Check In *
      We were dropped off by the transfer right outside the reception doors. Upon entering, we were greeted by a receptionist who knew who we were before we told her, obviously due to our arrival time, and had our keys ready. She explained how to find out bungalow and gave us all of the information for meal times.

She also gave us a key for the safe, which we were to either return the next day or come back and pay a $5 deposit if we would like to use the safe.

* The Bungalow *
      The bungalows are situated in quite a large complex, although it does not look like it, and we did find it difficult to find our bungalow. However, once we had located it, we were pleasantly surprised.

The room consisted of an open plan kitchen and living room which had everything that we needed (microwave, hob, cutlery etc). There was a TV in the living room, which is $5 deposit for the week, and a sofa and sofa bed. There were patio doors in the living room which led out to our own little patio with table and chairs and somewhere to hang any washing that we had. Around this area was gravelled with plants and trees which seemed to be full of wildlife.

The bathroom was a great size, with a bath with overhead shower and a large mirror over the sink with plenty of space around it for toiletries to be stored. The pressure of the shower was perfect and it actually managed to stay at one temperature throughout the shower.

The bedroom led off from the kitchen and had 2 single beds, which we pushed together to make a double. In the large built in wardrobe there was plenty of space for all of our clothes and our suitcase to be stored and the hotel had provided extra blankets and pillows in here.

Although the décor in the bungalow was a little outdated, it was clean throughout on our arrival and the maids came in every other day to sweep and mop through the whole bungalow and to change towels and bedding.

* The Complex *
      The complex itself is quite large, with many bungalows of all different sizes. In the centre of the bungalows is a large swimming pool which never seemed to be overly busy. There are plenty of sunloungers around the pool and there are many more stacked up for you to help yourself if you need to, although we didn't need to do this as there were always empty sunloungers around the pool.

Next to the pool is the bar and dining area for all inclusive or half board guests. The dining hall opened around 7am each morning and closed at 11pm. Entertainment was provided most evenings, although most evenings it was the same person singing the same songs, and the bar staff showed all of the World Cup games on the TVs in there.

* The Food *
      The food itself was not amazing. However, there are plenty of restaurants around the hotel which are cheap enough.
      Breakfast consisted of bacon, sausages, eggs and cereal. Lunch most days was hot dogs or burgers, pasta and salads. The main evening meal most mostly pasta, salad and some form of meat.
      It is worth mentioning that all soft drinks were branded (Pepsi, Fanta etc) and the all inclusive alcoholic drinks were local brands. As with most all inclusive holidays, spirits are filled to 3/4 of the cup and topped up with a splash of mixer.

Overall, we were extremely happy with Vista Oasis Bungalows, it was actually the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The staff were lovely and we felt secure in the complex at night as the main doors are locked at midnights with someone in reception to allow access to guests.

• Pretty Little Liars: Season 1 / TV Series / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:57

Advantages

• "Lot's of episodes"
      • "Fun to watch"

Disadvantages

The Guiltiest Pleasure there is.

I had never read the books when I started when watching Pretty Little Liars. I had heard good things about the pilot and as a TV fan I decided to give it a go. It is completely different from anything else I watch, but I love it, all the twists and turns, the drama. By far the best teen show of the 2010's.

We begin by being introduced to four high school age girls. Spencer, Aria, Hanna and Emily. The four girls used to be friends but drifted apart after the disappearance of their best friend Alison DeLaurentis. Alison was a mean girl and was hated by many at Rosewood High. In the first episode the police discover Alison's body. Then all four girls begin to get text messages from someone calling themselves A. A generally stalks, harasses and tries to wreck the girls lives. When they all find out that all four of them are being targeted by A at Alison's funeral they team up to try and find out who A is.

The show is now on its fifth season and there have been so many twists and turns it is hard to keep up. It is completely ridiculous and that is why it is awesome. PLL is the epitome of a guilty pleasure. It has had me hooked from the beginning, it just does what it does so well. The writing is still fresh, and humorous after 4 and half seasons. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun show to watch. Look no further.

22.09.2014 00:54

Advantages

• "Fun Experience"
      • "Interesting and Engaging Game"
      • "Requires Careful Thinking and a Stealthy Approach"
      • "Tests Logic & Common Sense"

Disadvantages

• "Highly Unsuitable for Children"
      • "Reference to Weapons"
      • "Contains Violence & Aggression"

A Truly Superb Game That Tests Your Mental Ability To The Bare Maximum!

Agent 47 has made his return from the old-gen consoles to the current-gen consoles, Xbox 360 and PS4. The character renowned for his dress style, weapon preference and funky hairstyle is back and is ready for action. Enter the engaging world of Hitman and play in a game where logic, common sense and initiative are all paramount factors that must be fulfilled in order to achieve and complete your set objectives. A career as a Hitman is no joke. Its serious business and there is no other down to earth person to fit the job description than Agent 47.

This game is magnificent. Its as simple as that. I was one of the gamers fortunate enough to receive the game free of charge through the free Xbox Live Games for Gold programme and it is honestly the best game I have ever played. I'm not a gaming fanatic and I have played many games such as GTA, all of which are games of high standard, but never have I come across a game that delivers such a fantastic gaming experience. This game really does test your logical skill, especially when playing on professional difficulty. However, I do believe that this is truly brilliant because improving your logical skill is something that everybody can do and although this is a game that incorporates significant violence, its one of the very few games that integrates the requirement of such a considerable amount of user interaction.

Throughout the game, there are a varying range of missions that will keep your eyes stuck to the screen. It is safe to say that there is no lack of excitement within this game. Every second of every minute of every level of this game requires engagement, thought and precision, all of which will affect your final score at the end if you do not meet the set requirements. Your score will vary depending on how you play the game in terms of silently killing enemies, using disguises, killing civilians etc.

This game actually resembles the life of a spy/military intelligence. As with this game, a spy requires a great amount of logic and the ability to be able to think on their own feet and by playing this game, you will understand just how the life of a person, who eliminates enemies for a price, works.

So, if you want a game that will test your mental ability to the max, then this is just the game. Hitman: Absolution is the game for you and it would be a foolish act to choose not to buy it today.

• Kong Wubba / Dog Accessory / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:43

Advantages

• Sturdy
      • Soft

Disadvantages

• "Can start smelling"

A beloved toy.

My dog got his Wubba as part of a Kong starter pack, it came with Kong, a Frisbee and of course the Wubba. I can honestly say this toy got more independent play than any other toy that he has ever had. He loved to pick up his Wubba by the legs, throw it in the air and catch it again. Anyone who visited got the Wubba put in their lap in the hope of a game of tug of war.

I was really surprised how well put together this was for a soft toy. My dog isn't a destroyer really but every other soft toy came to pieces. This was thrown, pulled, dragged and everything else you can think of and lasted 2 years. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet but I definitely will be considering how much enjoyment my dog got out of it and how long it lasted.

Even now the Wubba has been destroyed a yellow ball that makes up the top part of the Wubba has become his new favourite toy, really, I cannot get over how much use my dog has gotten out of this one single toy. The yellow ball is brought of for fetch, he regularly chews on it. Pretty much got two toys for the price of one.

Being fabric it is only natural that the Wubba would get dirty and smelly from time to time, my dogs one was dragged indoors and outdoors and of course he was chewing on it. Whenever it started to smell I would put it in the washing machine and then air dry it. It always came out fine, nice and fresh again.

• Whiskas Pouches / Cat Food / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:39

Advantages

• "Fussy cat"
      • Jelly

Disadvantages

• Smell

Decent price and I know my cats love them

Out of our three cats (Branny, Belle and Misty), two will eat most things whereas one (Belle) is rather fussy. We've struggled to find many foods that she'll eat without complaining - she doesn't even like the Whiskas pouches in gravy.

These jelly pouches, however, are great for her. Personally, I think it's the texture - the food in gravy is just soggy with no real substance, and crunchy cat food is too hard. I think the reason she prefers these specific pouches is that they're sort of in between, in that the food is soft but somewhat solid.

In terms of size, the pouches are pretty adequate - between our three Siamese cats, we go through an average of 5 of them each day. When there's a deal or offer on, the price is pretty good. But, if you're paying four to five pounds for a pack of 12, and go through 35 pouches a week, it kind of stacks up. However, it's pretty much on par with other brands.

One down side to the pouches that we've found (although I'm not sure if it will apply to anyone else) is that we MUST put these away in a cupboard where Misty can't get to them. Since they're foil packs, she can use her claws to tear them open and shred the apart for extra food through the night. This isn't a great surprise to come down to in the mornings - foil and jelly all over the kitchen floor. We learned it the hard way. However, this could happen with any brand of foil pouches, not just Wiskas.

All in all, these pouches aren't really expensive when compared to other brands and I know personally that my cats like them, but I think it depends on the cat. Even within my household, our own cats have different preferences, but since they're about the average price I'd say they're worth trying.

• Halti Head Collar / Small Pet Accessory / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:33

Advantages

• "It works... for some breeds"

Disadvantages

Okay, depending on breed.

The Halti just did not work for me and my dog. I read the reviews and it all sounded great. I read the instruction booklet and fitted the Halti on my dog and off we went, I tried it a few times but it just didn't work. I have come to the conclusion that it just does not work for Brachycephalic or short nosed breeds like my Boxer. Not only did it keep slipping down it just looked do uncomfortable for him, the nose strap was right below his eyes because of his short nose. I really had hoped it would work but after a couple of tries I just felt awful for subjecting him to it because it wasn't working.

I have seen the Halti work for other breeds though and it does work well in many. A lot of the time though it only kind of half works, the dog is uncomfortable but still pulling, not as much as they did before but still pulling. I also once looked after a dog who had been Halti trained, when I took her out for walks she would only walk on my right hand side which made it difficult to try and walk her on country roads where there are cars passing by. Any time I would try and get her to go to my left, because sometimes it was necessary for safety she would not have any of it and would do everything in her power to get back to my right.

While this device does work be aware that it does have it's limitations, while I have not tried it yet the dogmatic seems to be the new big thing and seems to work better for short nosed breeds.

• Classic Kong Red Large / Dog Accessory / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:22

Advantages

• "Lasts forever"
      • "So versatile"

Disadvantages

• "Quite expensive"

Probably the best dog toy out there

My dog suffers from separation anxiety, I have used Kongs as one of my tools in helping him to be able to be by himself. I fill it up, with baby food, with left overs, tinned fish, dog food, peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, the possibilities are endless which means he never gets bored. I then put the kong in the freezer to make it last longer and then take it out and give it to my dog as needed. A frozen kong would last him up to an hour which helped to keep him calm when I was away.

I have also used them during the summer when the weather is really hot, a frozen kong stuffed with your dogs favourite food or left overs from yesterdays dinner is such a great way to help a dog cool down.

I also sometimes give him a Kong going to bed a night, it's a nice treat every once in a while.

This is probably the most perfect dog toy that you can think of, its versatile so you don't have a dog that's getting bored of the same thing over and over again. It requires very little from the owner, all you have to do is fill the Kong you can either give it to the dog as is or freeze it to get longer out of it, that is it! The dog gets enjoyment and mental stimulation out of it which is massively important for their well being.

I have one complaint though, I think Kongs are a little over priced, I always try to wait until they are on sale because of this. But I suppose they are worth it because its noting something that gets ripped to shreds ten minutes after you give it to the dog and it gets used over and over again.

• Skinners Field & Trial Duck & Rice / Dog Food / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:11

Advantages

• "Good Quality"
      • "Made in the UK"
      • Hypoallergenic
      • "Resonable Price"

Disadvantages

A good food, at a good price.

I am a really big fan of Skinners Field and Trail. I had previously fed a few different brands of dog food to my dog James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Burns etc. Wellbeloved didn't suit my dog, Arden Grange was hard to source at a reasonable price and Burns was just too expensive and my dog got quite skinny on it.

I came across Skinners and read the ingredients, I was delighted to see a food that had good ingredients for less than half the price of other foods I had been feeding. I just could not afford to keep feeding my dog really expensive foods.

My dog really likes this food, I usually supplement it with some sardines, veg, potato, porridge(made with water), just to keep it interesting for him. He is strong and healthy looking, his coat really gleams, it is soft to the touch and he doesn't stink, I have found that a poor quality diet really makes a dog stink. He does have some stinky farts but not as nearly as bad as other brands, it can't be helped really as he is a deep chested breed and they gulp in a lot of air when eating, but I really don't mind as he isn't clearing the room like he was with some other brands.

Over all I highly recommend this food, I have been feeding it for 2 years now and in that time I have't had any problems whatsoever, no vets visits other than routine stuff either which is always a good sign. I also like that Amazon sell it through their subscribe and save service, I get a bag delivered each month automatically, no more forgetting to order and running out, and I get 10% off

• Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Razor / Body Care / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      22.09.2014 00:07

Advantages

• "Refreshing & Invigorating"
      • " Even After Several Uses"
      • Lasts
      • "Smooth and Undeniably Comfortable"
      • "Close Shave"
      • "Precise & Accurate Cut"

Disadvantages

• "Blades Are Quite Costly to Replace"

A Superb Shave with Precision & Accuracy

I recently posted a review on the Gilette Fusion razor and as I am a young male who strives to obtain the best shave, I have decided to test out a varied range of Gilette razors. After using the Gilette Mach 3 razor, I realised that not only does it deliver the finest and most superb cut, but it leaves your skin feeling incredibly smooth, you could even say that it leaves your skin as smooth as a baby's bottom.

The Gilette Mach 3 razor contains 3 sharp blades for a close shave with precise accuracy that ensures your face is left looking simply magnificent. As well as the 3 blades, the Gilette Mach 3 razor also possesses a lubricating strip enriched and infused with vitamin 3. This is designed to re-moisturise the skin post-shave. This is the reason why your skin feels invigoratingly refreshed after a shaving session.

Of course, shaving should be a truly satisfying experience that delivers the results you want and deserve, and the Gilette Mach 3 does just that. With the Gillete Mach 3, you can be sure that your shave will be completely effortless with the gliding technology of this magnificent piece of equipment. It can be said, without doubt, that this razor should be in the possession of every man in the country. Indeed, you may be set upon using a disposable 1 blade or 2 blade razor that claims to be specifically designed for sensitive skin. However, the use of a disposable razor is no match for the Gilette Mach 3 and it can be said that no other razor, up to yet, is able to deliver the most superb shave with absolute precision, complete accuracy and outstanding excellence in order to preserve and maintain the truly magnificent beauty of your skin. So, in order to obtain the shave you deserve and want, utilise what is available to you for an inexpensive investment.

21.09.2014 23:59

Advantages

• Different
      • "Delicious "

Disadvantages

• "Can be difficult to find"

Way too good!

I love these sweets, they are probably my absolute favourite. I have always been a peanut butter lover and grew up hearing about these in movies and on TV but never got to try them. Peanut butter gets a lot of love in America, not so this side of the pond, I really wonder why because it's really nice, is healthy(as long as you don't over do it), but I suppose it's all down to personal taste.

I finally got to try them a few years ago and have been an addict ever since. It's the perfect combination of salty and sweet. I have tried Herseys other chocolate products and they are nothing to write home about, in fact I would actively avoid them because it can barely be described as chocolate. But peanut butter cups are special, they are just perfect. My sister who is the only other peanut butter fan I know is also crazy about these, I introduced her and she loved them too!

I have found these to be a little difficult to find at times, dedicated sweet shops tend to be very over priced and even though I love them I won't pay rip off prices. Most supermarkets do seem to stock them but they are often out of stock.

If you like these then you should also try Reese's Pieces, they come in a bag like M and M's and are delicious as well, think Peanut Butter Cups but in M and M form.

21.09.2014 23:42

Advantages

• "good print quality"
      • "prints quickly"
      • "easy to set up"

Disadvantages

• "loses connection"
      • "repeat cleaning of the ink cartridge"

perfect all rounder!

When i went to buy a new laptop a printer was on my list too as i was about to become a student and i knew it would be an essential piece of kit for all my assignments and research. I picked the hp officejet 4620 as it was half price at the time.

I bought it from pc world in jan 2014 and paid around £60 for it which was a pretty good deal i thought.

Its a 4 in 1 printer so you can print, scan, fax and photocopy and it does all three pretty easily. It connest wirelessly to your computer so no faffing about with leads you just download the driver software from HP and then connect it to your laptop, so easy even i could do it! That said i did have a few issues with it not connecting properly once installed but the magic turn it off and back on again works a treat most of the time!
      The printer comes with a tester ink cartridge but this doesnt last very long at all and replacement cartridges for a real hp one are around £15 just make sure you get the right cartridge (who knew there was soooooo many types!).
      The paper and cartridges are both really easy to load however the cartridge can need cleaning a good few times through the menu on the printer to get it to work properly which is a little annoying!
      It prints documents really well, no streaking or smudging. Ive yet to use it to print photos so i cant comment on that.
      It photocopies really simply just like any other copier. Ive not used the fax or scanner but i have every faith it would do this well too!

To say it does so much i wouldn't say that its overly bulky it fits on our small coffee table easily.
      Everything is easy to do, it powers up quickly and the menu on the printer is simple to understand even for someone who has no clue (like me!).

Its perfect for what i need it for and had i not had the connection issues i would be giving it 5 stars.

21.09.2014 23:28

Advantages

• warm
      • "really comfy"
      • "lovely and soft"

Disadvantages

• "shrink in wash"

a tad too snuggley after washing!

Every christmas i buy new pjs and these were the bottoms i chose last year because of their festive red colour and the super soft flannel type material.

I got them from my local tesco extra and they were on sale at the time so i think i paid around £6 for them which i was really happy to pay for them.
      Size wise i'd say they come up pretty small, i bought a larger size anyway so that they would fit fairly big on me; more comfy in my opinion!
      They are really lovely and soft on and the elasticated waist doesn't sit too tight but keeps them up perfectly. I'm what i would describe as average height and they are a really good length on me, no tripping hazard in these bottoms!
      They wash fairly well in terms of the fabric; it doesnt bobble and the colour doesnt fade out either. One down fall though is mine have shrunk in length since first buying them...not sure if this is because of the washing machine or the tumble dryer though. I was a bit disappointed they did this easily and only after one wash.
      I pair them with a plain cream sleep top for a really cute comfy look. They are lovely to sleep in especially in the winter months when you need a but more snuggley pjs.

Overall i like them i just wish they hadn't shrunk but for how cheap i got them its not so bad really! If you want comfy festive pjs tesco is a great place to look.

• Yummy Mummy Bag / Changing Bag / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      21.09.2014 23:18

Advantages

• roomy
      • "so pretty"

Disadvantages

• pricey

super stylish yummy mummy

When i became a mum i couldnt wait to buy my first changing bag and a pink lining one was top of my list, however it wasnt until more recently that i finally managed to get my paws on one.

The one i have a yummy mummy one with a cream background. I bought it from kiddicare and at the time it cost me around £70 which i honestly think is rather pricey for a changing bag but id wanted one for so long i paid it anyway!

Along with the bag you get a wet bag and a fold out changing mat, most changing bags have these days, and i don't know anyone who uses the changing mat!
      Theres a good amount of room in the bag; i cloth nappy and i can fit cloth nappies plus everything else i need in there too. The strap holds up really well and is easily adjustable great for putting it over the pram handle! Its easy to wipe down but because of the creamy base colour it does mark pretty easily, cream wasn't the best colour for a changing bag in hind sight!

All in all its a really stylish bag that does what it should do; holds all the bits and pieces that you need for you baby (or 2 babies and a toddler in my case!). I think the price could come down a bit and you can get it cheaper when pink lining have a sale on. You can also buy them pretty easily from various baby shops online.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown