24.07.2014 23:48

Advantages

• "Friendly welcoming staff"
      • "Clean and Tidy"
      • "Location in Bath"

Disadvantages

• "Room temperature control wasn't working properly"
      • "Cost of parking"
      • "Interior dated"
      • "Value for Money"

Great location, Helpful and friendly staff. Hotel tired and dated.

Me and my partner visited Bath for the first time this July and chose to stay at Bath City Hilton. We have silver membership and a free nights stay so decided to use it there. When having a look at the prices without using the free night I expected luxury accommodation. At first glance when arriving I felt a little disappointed as the building has no character and isn't very inviting.

The staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival explaining where to park and how to use the token for the £15 overnight parking. They gave us a map of the city pointing out different attractions, where to go for shopping and dining. Though we arrived a little early before check in they were happy to give us a room and gave us a double as we had requested. We were offered help to get our luggage up to the room but we were travelling light so didn't take the staff up on this offer. The reception, bar and lounge was much more welcoming and very modern. It had two new lifts recently installed as well.

We were given a first floor room and told we would have a lovely view of the River. The room was a little disappointing in that it was quite dated and basic. It was good for a free night but I would have been very disappointed if I had paid the full price for the stay. The rooms are long overdue refurbishment to justify the prices of the rooms. Even the television was very old and was poor quality. As a young couple we like to access wifi when out and about. We couldn't even get on to hiltons wifi as it was only made accessible without paying for gold and platinum members. When up in the room I thought I should see this beautiful view from the window, however, all I could see was hiltons roofing and house tops. Despite being dated the rooms were clean and tidy.

The hotel is in a great location and everything we wanted to do or see was within walking distance. It is close to all the restaurants and shops, bath museum and the famous sally lunns cafe. We didn't have to move the car from the car park and Hilton were happy for us to leave it there as long as we needed to. If staying in Bath again it is unlikely that we would use this hotel again as it is just too costly and it doesn't offer the quality that would be expected with the Hilton brand. It wasn't too different to stopping in cheaper hotels such as a travel lodge or premier inn.

24.07.2014 23:42

Advantages

Disadvantages

Makes a nice change from ordinary tea

Why did I buy this product?

I bought this product after my brother decided he likes Earl Grey tea better than "normal" (black) tea and I wanted to keep some in. However I do enjoy it myself as well, I drink it from time to time, and have a cup in front of me now as I type. Twinings actually do a range of Earl Grey products, for example they have ones flavoured with lavender, jasmine and lemon. However in this review I am writing about the plain Earl Grey teabags.

The packaging

The Twinings packaging is generally quite elegant and this product is no exception. The black box with gold accents looks really nice (although really it is just an ordinary cardboard box of course).

The teabags themselves seem to be sturdy enough - I never find too much tea dust in the bottom of the box and I have not had trouble with them bursting or accidentally putting a spoon through one and getting a nasty gritty cup of tea.

The product

This tea is very refreshing, due to the citrussy flavour which comes from the lemon and bergamot in it. It is very aromatic, I have my cup of tea on a table about 2 feet away from me and every so often I get a lovely waft of scent from it. The taste is great - just as you'd expect it to be from the smell. I find with a lot of teas that the smell is absolutely wonderful and then when you come to taste it it is slightly disappointing. This is not the case with Twinings Earl Grey. The only person in my family who doesn't like Earl Grey is my mum. She says "tastes like tea with washing up liquid in". I felt I should include her view to give a balanced idea of the aroma. However I don't agree with her!

Twinings say that this tea is best drunk without milk or with just a drop of milk: I can report that it is good both ways as my brother drinks it with no milk and loves it, and I drink it with milk and really enjoy that too. The box also says it is good with a slice of lemon in, I can't report back on that as we don't faff around with our tea like that in this house!

Twinings recommend storying your tea somewhere cool, dark and airtight. Ours is kept in a tin in a drawer. However the tin spends half its time open as it has a hinged lid which my brother rarely bothers to shut. It is never particularly cool in our house so our teabags only get one out of three, but they seem to keep very well nonetheless.
      Price and availability

All the large supermarkets stock this product. Price is around £4.50 for 100 teabags in all of them, but most also have an offer on Twinings products where you can buy 2 products out of various ones from the range for £6 or £7. If you get them on this offer they are decent value for one of the fancier tea brands.

Would I recommend this product?

Definitely. If you fancy a change from normal tea, or have a family member or friend who likes to drink Earl Grey then these are a good quality, reliable product

• AEG HD8795-m / Cooker Hood / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      24.07.2014 23:36

Advantages

Disadvantages

Stylish and Easy to Clean

Why did we get this product?

We got this product when we had our new extension & kitchen installed. We have a five ring cooker and do a lot of cooking - we cook everything from scratch and we also entertain a lot, so we wanted a hood that could stand up to this. Our cooker hood is ducted, so the air is extracted from the room altogether, however it does also have charcoal filters if you want to use it as a recirculating hood. It is quite wide, so it suits our five ring hob.

We paid about £700 for ours I think, which is a lot for a cooker hood, but it has served us well for a few years now, it is a really well designed product in my opinion.
      Functions

The hood has 4 speed settings, the highest of which is quite intense. This means it is appropriate for situations where you just have a little bit of steam, or if you are frying something that is creating a lot of smoke. The higher settings are quite noisy, but I think this is the case with all cooker hoods, I don't think it is a particular disadvantage of this one.

This hood also has lights which have two different brightness settings. The way the lighting is set up in our kitchen means that your shadow falls over the hob when you are stood in front of it, so the lights have been really useful. I can see what I'm cooking! The lights are controlled separately from the extraction function to it is possible to have the lights on without the extraction on.

Cleaning

This cooker hood is very easy to clean as all the pieces can go in the dishwasher. If you don't have a dishwasher I can imagine it would be a bit of a faff, but we just take the panels off and stick them in the dishwasher every so often.
      Would I recommend it?

Yes. It is a really effective extractor, it looks good and it's easy to clean. It is quite expensive though, but if you are looking in this price range then I would definitely recommend this product

24.07.2014 23:34

Advantages

Disadvantages

Clarins Eau des Jardins is a great summer scent

Why did I get this product?

I first had this product as a sample, which my mum gave to me as she'd picked up a couple when buying other products from a Clarins counter. I then went on to put this on my Christmas list (and received it =) ). I think the fact that I had the sample and then wanted the full size product says a lot. When I just smell something in the shop on one of those strips of paper I can be quite quick to say I like a fragrance, but then discover it's not that great on later. However, the sample bottle had enough product in to use every day for a couple of weeks, and I still really liked it after using it like that.

The packaging

The perfume comes in a fairly plain coloured glass bottle with a white cap. The spray mechanism is good, it delivers about the right amount of perfume (for me, I realise this will vary for different people). The cap seems to fit well, although I have not tried taking this bottle away with me, it just sits on my shelf at home. Whilst it is not as fancy as a lot of perfume bottles, it is straightforward and elegant.
      The product

This is definitely a summer scent in my opinion. It is both fruity and floral, but not too much of either (understandable as it has notes of both wild rose and blackcurrant). The name Eau des Jardins (Water of the gardens) seems slightly strange but when you smell it you can understand it - it smells like a garden but in the best possible way - just a gentle, refreshing scent, nothing is too overpowering.

Lasting power is pretty good. I have heard people complain about the staying power of this product, but personally I can still smell it on my wrists several hours after I have applied it.

Price and availability

This product is available from Clarins counters, as well as some online retailers, at the time of writing this review the product costs £32 for 100ml on the Boots website. I think this is pretty good value. To put it in perspective, my favourite brand of perfume (Armani) currently costs that much for a 30ml bottle. In terms of scent this is on an equal with those products, the only real difference is that it is not as strong a scent, so if you like to really be able to smell you perfume strongly this one is probably not for you.

Would I recommend this product?

Absolutely. As far as I am concerned this is the perfect summer scent. It is light and refreshing, with the perfect balance of fruity and floral notes. I have been really impressed and I hope Clarins continue to make it.

24.07.2014 22:33

Advantages

• "Protect eyes"
      • "Look cool"

Disadvantages

• "Lots of cheap ones out there"

Are you sunglasses subconscious?

DON’T buy sunglasses off the internet. The expensive brand names are often fakes and the generic plastic ones as flimsy as Israel’s excuses in the Gaza Strip. The last three pairs I purchased off Amazon for around a tener have been no sturdier than those you can buy in the pound store. In fact I have given up on buying good sunglasses to last online and gone with the cheap ones from the 99p store in Northampton, until I could find some decent and reasonably priced ones in the shops. I bought a pair on Monday from Poundland and they were cracked on BOTH frames by Friday! 99p for four days use seems to be the going rate, no doubt hitting the deck many times as grizzly kids and fat tattooed mums on benefits spin the displays around and the glasses falling to the floor every ten minutes. But these are made from the same materials from the ones on Amazon like Xloop and EyeLevel and all a load of old junk. Just don’t buy these ranges and stick with brands from reputable sites with guarantees if you do shop online. Make sure the guarantee is a good one. Amazon is no longer to be trusted on value and quality and as good as a glorified Argos now, especially as they won’t refund on anything after 30 days use, when the Xloops I purchased there broke apart, and I had not dropped them. They also don’t want to pay tax as they sell us this stuff and beginning to annoy me. Most of that Amazon Market Place stuff are Amazon returns anyway.

I used to go for aviator style in days past but moved towards the sportier look of the classic Oakley. I’m not a Rayban fan and like my shades to wrap right around the side of my eyes as genuine protection from the suns rays. All those generic plastic ones say they offer protection but they just can’t be trusted. We are talking about our eyes here. I settled pm Boots own brand in the classic black style and priced around twenty pounds. The frame feels sturdier than the Amazon tat and although not total side cover there was real visual clarity to them and it felt like they were genuinely polarized.

The lens has a slightly metallic silver sheen to make you look cool and that what reflects most of the sun away from your eyes. The hinge looks solid and the screw looking like it actually screws into something to keep it sturdy. On the Xloops the screw on the hinge tends to like to unscrew itself and you end up seeking out that tiny screwdriver set you got from your Christmas cracker to fix it.

The case is made from a nice and thick material and plenty of protection if you drop it with the glasses inside. A nice fine felt cloth enables easy cleaning. The glasses rest comfortably on the nose and none of those ugly yucky flap things that are used to center certain style of glasses and end up there only to collect human facial gunge of bogies and dry and greasy skin plus crushed bugs.

As with the recognized high street chain store sunglasses brand the frames do look stronger and damage more likely to be a scratched or cracked lens from dropping or sitting on them. So far they are sturdy enough and in full working order. They are snug around the lugs and fit surprisingly well. There can’t be that many sizes for sunglasses. The lenses are bigger and more rounded than the more sporty Oakley lines but still feel trendy. Sometimes you can buy sunglasses you think are cool but don’t look cool on you. We have all been there but never knew it. Its amazing how self conscious certain items of clothing can make you feel. I never used to where shades until April but now have no problem with wearing them on a crisp and clear sunny November morning.

On the whole good value sunglasses at twenty pounds (in context that there is not such thing with the cheaper ones) and stylish enough to recommend. They have a small 12 week guarantee covered under the standard Boots rules and a nice little carry pouch. If you shop around you can buy a similar design quality and style from stores like Marks & Spencer’s and Debenhams. I’m afraid you have to spend money now to get decent sunglasses that will last and very much substance over style now.

• Skechers Ribboneer / Shoes / 5 Readings / 5 Ratings
      24.07.2014 21:45

Advantages

• "Look pretty"
      • "Comfy "

Good everyday shoes

As Summer approached and I was still wearing knee high boots I decided it was about time I found some Summer shoes. I often feel it is hard to find good Summer shoes as I like to buy shoes with good soles on them and not cheaper ballerina style shoes as they never seem to last with me. I find that recently it is hard to find stylish shoes with good quality soles as there are so many cheaper ballerina style shoes around. I was really pleased when I saw these cream bikers ribboneer shoes as they ticked all the boxes, they were pretty, had a good sole and will go with most clothes and hopefully should last the Summer.

I cannot remember the exact price but I believe I paid 40 or 50 pounds but I didn't mind paying that much as I knew they would get used a lot and being Skechers are a good high quality shoe. I had bought Skechers shoes before and although I wasn't actively seeking for more shoes from that brand I ended up buying these anyway.

I had seen the black version of these shoes whilst shopping on the high street but although they were not bad I didn't think they looked as good and reminded me very much of school shoes which is something I didn't want. When I was browsing through amazon after a failed attempt to find shoes on the high street I was really pleased to find a cream pair and I liked the more summery feel to these shoes.

The cream colour of the shoes means they go with most colours of clothing which is just what I needed as I don't have a huge collection of shoes. The thing that attracted me the most to these shoes was the ribbon detail as not only did it add a nice touch to the shoes but I really liked the shiny looking ribbon as it gave it a girly finish.

When trying these shoes on I did find they were a little big and did require me to put insoles inside but that's nothing new as I almost always need them anyway as I have thin feet. With insoles in though they are perfectly fine and after wearing them in a bit are really comfy to wear. The strap took a bit of getting used to but I like the strap nevertheless as it adds detail to the shoe.

The shoes have a good rubber sole like I wanted so I am hoping will be long lasting shoes, only time will tell. They still look great now though after a few weeks of wearing them.

I really like these shoes and I am glad I purchased them, I just hope they don't get too dirty in the future because of the light colour.

24.07.2014 20:24

Advantages

Disadvantages

NIVEA In-Shower Body Moisturiser

The NIVEA In-Shower Body Moisturiser - Dry Skin is available for GBP 3.56.

The moisturiser comes in a blue plastic bottle with a flip top lid. On the plastic bottle are the product name and additional product information. It includes 250 ml.

The moisturiser is described as follows. "Discover the new and convenient way to moisturise with the first In-Shower Body Moisturiser from NIVEA. The skin conditioning formula is applied straight after cleansing in the shower and is rinsed off immediately to reveal soft and silky feeling skin. No need to wait, the formula is instantly absorbed into wet skin so you can dry yourself, get dressed and go!"

The ingredients are Aqua, Cera Microcristallina, Paraffinum Liquidum, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Stearyl Alcohol, Myristyl Alcohol, Parfum, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Sodium Carbomer, Sodium Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate and Citral.

The moisturiser has a creamy, but still liquid texture. The moisturiser is difficult to apply. The skin feels soft and moisturized after use. The moisturiser leaves a gentle and smooth feeling on the skin. The moisturiser does not care enough for dry skin and one has to put on some lotion after use.

The moisturiser has a fresh scent. The scent can still be noticed after use.

I can recommend the NIVEA In-Shower Body Moisturiser, as the skin feels soft and cared for after use. The moisturiser moisturizes the skin, but the care is not enough for dry skin.

24.07.2014 20:17

Advantages

• "fast delivery"
      • "good quality"

Disadvantages

• "website could use improvement"

Overall very happy with my experience with Print24

I couldn't be happier with this company, I recently ordered 100 posters on 170 coated art paper, they were special format sizes which is something not a lot of print companies offer. I have to admit that I was extremely nervous prior to receiving my order due to the fact that their prices are so low compared to their competitors, but I am glad to say that they exceeded far beyond my expectations! The posters arrived a day early and the quality is superb, they also gave me 48 extra! Customer service was pretty good too, everyone I spoke with on the phone were helpful. The only problem I had was with the website and getting my file to them, I had to send an ftp upload due to the fact that my file was so large, but print24 were a great in explaining it to me step by step, so now I know how it works there won't be any delays next time!

24.07.2014 18:40

Advantages

• "Great for damaged hair "
      • "Leaves hair soft and shiny"

Disadvantages

• "None "

One of the best intensive conditioners ever

I try and use an intensive conditioner at least once a week when I have time so that I can help keep my hair looking and feeling healthy even with all the styling, products and abuse that I subject it too.
      One of my favourite intensive conditioners to use is Aussie 3 minute miracle as I love the way it makes my hair look and feel.

I also absolutely adore the smell of the conditioner as it is gorgeous and smells just like bubble gum. When it is washed off my hair it leaves it smelling sweet and fresh for ages afterwards.

There are different versions for coloured hair, extra shine etc, and they are all good but the original one is so good that I think it protects my hair colour and adds tons of shine too without the need for all the different ones.

The conditioner is pink in colour and it is very thick and feels really rich when you apply it. It coats my hair easily and the first time that I used it I was convinced it was going to leave my hair feeling greasy as it just felt so rich.

As the name suggest you just leave this on for 3 minutes and then rinse it off. It rinses off easily and doesn’t leave behind a greasy residue.
      No matter what condition my hair is in I know that I can rely upon this to get it looking its best again. My hair is left with no tangles whatsoever when this is washed off and when I dry it my hair has no frizz and is so soft and shiny. It doesn’t make it even slightly greasy but it gives it high shine.

I do think that this is more of a treat product though and I wouldn’t use it every day on my hair as although it never leaves my hair greasy I only use it occasionally as I would worry it was too rich for daily use and it might start to build up and cause grease.

If your hair is looking and feeling a bit damaged then you should try this as it is amazing and it really works and is one of the best intensive conditioning treatments that I have ever used. It also isn’t that expensive which is surprising as it is so effective. It costs 4.99 GBP and I think it is worth every penny. They also do small sachets of this that are great for travelling with.

24.07.2014 18:29

Advantages

• "Cleans away all traces of hair product "

Disadvantages

• "Can be too harsh if you use it too often"

Really effective detox shampoo

I really find that Toni & Guy hair care products can be a bit hit and miss especially when it comes to their styling products. Where I do think that they excel though is with their shampoos and conditioners. I do find that they are too expensive for me to use all the time but when Boot’s have a special offer I do sometimes treat myself to some shampoo and conditioner.

I like their detox shampoo as I find that it is a really effective shampoo for removing all the gunk that can accumulate in hair when you have been using too much product. Normal everyday shampoo doesn’t remove all of the product so it can build up and leave hair looking a bit dull and lacklustre.

I wouldn’t use this shampoo all the time as it is too harsh for an everyday shampoo but it isn’t designed for that anyway it is only designed to be used occasionally to remove build- up of product and get hair looking and feeling ultra clean and for this the shampoo does a great job.

I really like how this smells as it smells really fresh and clean and very much like the shampoos that they use in hairdresser salons.
      You also don’t need to use all that much of the shampoo to get a lot of lather and a good result. I would definitely recommend that you only shampoo once with this shampoo and not rinse and repeat as I do think it is too harsh for that and the one time that I did use it twice in one go my hair was left feeling dry and looking a bit frizzy.

I find that using the shampoo once is more than enough to get a good result without the shampoo stripping too much of your hairs own natural oils away from it. For best results I always follow up with a hair mask anyway to put moisture back in my hair so the shampoo never dries it out too much.
      Hair is left feeling really clean and you can actually see and feel a noticeable difference when you blow dry it as it just has a bit more shine and vitality when all the residue product is washed away.

Ideally I would recommend that you should use this about once a week for maximum effect especially if you use a lot of product every day like I do.

As I said earlier I do think that Toni and Guy products can be expensive but I always buy them on offer so they work out much cheaper. At full price this shampoo costs 6.49 GBP but it is nearly always on offer somewhere on the high street.

24.07.2014 17:54

Advantages

• "Absorbs scent well"
      • "Easy to clean the tray"
      • Flushes
      • Natural

Disadvantages

• "More expensive than many brands"

A wee review about cat litter.

Cat litter is something I didn't have any intention of spending a lot of money on. I tried supermarket and discount litters, some better than others, until this was recommended to me.
      A bit more research and it seemed every pet product website, breeders, pet forums and anyone who had used it had never gone back to another so I decided to try it.

The amount of litter you go through depends on how many cats you have, how big your litter tray is and whether your cats solely use the litter tray or also go to the loo outdoors.

Bob's larger tray is a hooded tray which takes quite a lot of litter. The smaller one doesn't take much at all. Generally I completely empty the trays when the bins are due to go out every fortnight, and scoop out the dirty clumps and top up daily. Obviously if it needs doing more or less often I will do that.
      I live in a flat and the refuse collection isn't great, nor is the wheely bin storage, so I love the fact that the dirty clumps scooped out of the tray can be flushed down the toilet. I was a little sceptical about how well it would flush, especially as the water pressure isn't great here but it flushed really easily. They advise you not to empty a whole tray of litter down the toilet, just a small clump at a time.

I found it clumps much better than other litters, when they have used the tray any wet patches stay in one area and are easy to remove without soaking into the rest of the litter, resulting in having to throw a lot away each time the tray is used.
      I also find it absorbs smells really well and because it clumps so well, none of the remaining litter in the tray absorbs the smell at all.
      The litter is natural and made from plant fibres, and is gentle on the paws. Unlike some which can be like stones and I'd imagine not very nice to stand on!

I don't find any negatives with this. I have read that some people find a bit of tracking from it but I personally have had no issues with this.
      The Cat's Best litter is a bit more expensive than other litters, but to me it's better value for money as it lasts much longer, at £21 a 40 Litre bag would last months.

The best deal I can find at the moment is Zooplus - 3 x 5 Litres (15 litres) for £6.98 + 5% off for subscribing the the newsletter and free delivery over £29.
      I can't really fault this litter. I would not go back to another litter.
      I would definitely recommend anyone with cats to fork out a few pounds to get a small bag and give it a try.

24.07.2014 17:51

Advantages

• Beaches
      • Weather

Disadvantages

• Smoggy

When visiting Los Angeles, stay at one of the coastal beach cities in Orange County!

I agree that you either love Los Angeles or you hate it! The key is to take a shuttle from Los Angeles Airport to Orange County and stay in Laguna Beach, Newport Beach or Dana Point. You cannot go wrong staying at a coastal beach in Orange County where it's clean, less smog and outrageously more beautiful than any beach in Los Angeles county (Malibu excluded but then there's nothing much to do in Malibu but lay on the beach). At Orange County beaches however, there's so much more to do and see. Laguna Beach is called the Mediterranean of the West Coast, feels very European with lots of cute cafe and beautiful views. The nice thing about staying in Orange County is you can get to Disneyland quickly because it's also located in Orange County (but an older part and I wouldn't recommend staying near Disneyland). Stay at one of the O.C. beaches and see if your hotel will shuttle you to Disneyland or rent a car to get there. You can also drive to Los Angeles (about 45min or an hour drive depending on traffic, don't go during the morning or evening commute because that could take 1 1/2 - 2 hours or more!) and see the major sites there in a day if you plan it well (minus Universal Studios which will take a day on it's own and only worth it if you really love movies and learning how they are made, otherwise I'd skip Univeral and go to Sea World in San Diego instead -- about an hour from one of the O.C. beaches). The other nice thing about staying in O.C. is you are half-way between L.A. and San Diego. Just my two cents, I totally understand why peeps don't like L.A. but if you visit Laguna Beach in O.C., you will not be disappointed! Be sure to visit the Montage resort in Laguna if you go....it's a 5 star resort right on the ocean and you can walk around the entire resort (open to the public) and you will see some of the most beautiful views ever!! You can also have lunch in one of their cafes if you're ok spending $25-40 for a hamburger or salad but it's worth doing once on your trip for the experience and views. Cheers!

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 4 Readings / 2 Ratings
      24.07.2014 17:51

Advantages

• Compact
      • "Good Value"
      • Fast

Disadvantages

• "Pay for quicker build and delivery"

Would buy again

I chose the specs of this laptop for a Director at the company, he is extremely pleased, off the back of this order. We now always check PC Specialist for new laptops before anywhere else.

• Apple iPhone 5S 16 GB / Smartphone / 5 Readings / 4 Ratings
      24.07.2014 16:59

Advantages

• "synch with other apple devices"
      • "excellent performance"
      • "advanced processor/core"
      • "Latest Device"

Disadvantages

• "outdated within 12 months of launch?"
      • "encased battery"
      • "touch ID that can be easily circumvented"
      • "extra storage cost"
      • "excessive price"

Great for the Tech-Savy, but does this make it easier to swallow the cost?

The latest Iphone model from Apple is inarguably one of the fastest and most reliable handsets on the market today. It has everything you would expect from previous Iphone models and a lot more. It handles Apple’s newer operating system (IOS7) perfectly though some have been disappointed with its complete new design and layout, whereas others have welcomed it with much Joy.

Compared to most Android operating handsets, the 5S does not slow or lag once you start building up a collection of downloaded apps. This is something that gives it an advantage over Android, which is usually a direct competitor to IOS phones. Now with even multitasking functions built in Apple have worked hard to match many features that historically drew potential purchasers to away to its Andoid competitors.

The screen size of 4 inches is seen as a downgrade from previous models though myself personally, I have not missed the extra inch or noticed any downgrade in quality or user experience.

The battery has been improved and compared to previous models it is good, but not amazing. If you are a heavy user (like many iphone owners are) you will still find yourself running for charger points as you continuously watch your remaining battery power dwindle.

The camera itself is hailed as amazing at 8 megapixels. However pixels are not everything; processing capability itself plays a big part in camera quality and compared to the Galaxy S4 the Iphone 5S cannot produce the level of detail to compete; it is good though I myself have found that the Galaxy rival handset produces much more detail in the picture.

The Iphone also introduces TouchID which many have seen as a fantastic and revolutionary advancement. Though at present it has been riddled with problems, security fears and has already been proven to be easily overridden leaving your phone wide open, should it fall into the wrong hands. For this reason I have opted to rely more on the more traditional pin lock method.

Memory storage can be an issue; as like the battery, memory is built in and there is no functionality for boosting this with SD cards. It is true that handsets can come with different storage capacities. But use that up and you will soon find your phone clogged up.

When considering all of these state of the art features and new innovations built into the phone, many my find the price still hard to swallow at £549.00. If you want to go for higher memory storage then you will see an additional £80.00 per ‘level’ (16g, 32g, etc.) For myself, I really like the phone and enjoy using it and utilising the majority of its functionality. However with that said, I would find it really hard to justify paying such an exuberant amount of money for something that will become outdated within 12 months.

• 2True Instant Volume Mascara / Make Up / 8 Readings / 8 Ratings
      24.07.2014 16:28

Advantages

• cheap
      • "coats lashes well"

Disadvantages

• "doesn't lengthen the look of lashes"

Surprisingly, not that awful for £1.99!

I quite like adding to my makeup collection, and had seen my sister wearing a really nice lipstick when she advised me it was from the cheap and cheerful 2True collection in Superdrug. Not being one to miss out on a super duper bargain, I headed there and was all of a sudden allured by all the other goodies from the 2True brand range in Superdrug for only £1.99! Since my last mascara was ticking on a bit, and had got a bit old, I decided to “splash” out and buy a new one. Settling for this voluptulash mascara seemed quite affordable and it’s actually pretty decent!

It comes in a slim, circular black and metallic tube, which sadly is not already wrapped in plastic, but I fetched one from the back that was unopened. The mascara packaging is fairly basic, and is quite small and compact so fits neatly into my makeup purse. It is shade no.1 (black) but in all honesty I didn't see any other shades available in my particular branch of Superdrug.
      The mascara brush itself is pretty basic and frills free – it has a swirly, quite thickly and densely populated brush which has lots of bristles. You can see some distinct space between the lines of bristles, but the mascara is a bit clompy which overshadows this. This isn’t usually the kind of mascara brush I’d opt for, but for the price I had gone for cheap as chips as we can see, so wasn’t too fussy.

The tube naturally has a filter around the rim of the mascara base, so when you pull the wand out it takes off much of the excess mascara making it quite easy to apply. In order to get an even coverage, I do find I have to comb the mascara brush through my eyelashes a fair few times to get the desired look I’d like. I also tend to stroke the mascara brush across my lashes first to actually apply the mascara solution, then comb it through which takes a while to achieve any real look of volume.
      It doesn't irritate my eyes which is good, and I am yet to cry with it on, but with the hayfever season about, I have rubbed my eyes a fair bit with this mascara on and it hasn’t smudged so this is a good aspect about it.

On the whole, this mascara isn’t too bad. It only costs £1.99, and it pretty much gets the job done, which is to create the illusion I have thicker lashes than I actually do! It doesn’t really volumise, lenghthen the look or elongate my lashes to give a nice fluttery look I’d like to achieve (without the need for eyelash extensions) but surprisingly it does highlight my lashes no worse than my £10 mascara before has, so for that I still give it a good rating. Would recommend to someone looking for a simple, and high affordable mascara which does the standard job!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown