29.05.2015 23:12

Advantages

• "Nice minty taste!"
      • "Keeps your breath smelling fresh!"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't whiten teeth as it states!"

Clean to the extreme!

I have always taken pride my teeth being clean. I visit my dentist every nine months as she says my teeth are very good for an almost thirty eight year old.
      I dread the dentist as I have a jaw disorder called 'TMJ' causing nerve pains in the face.

~The packaging~

Comes in a silver box and it tells us that it is Aquafresh extreme clean.
      There is the Aquafresh trade mark at the top of the box showing the red white and blue colours. Content of the paste is 100ml.

For further information regarding this product, visit their website: www.aquafresh.co.uk

This tooth paste has different colour stripes that are red white and blue; each having different uses within the paste.

I use just over a pea size amount on my tooth brush and it tastes of spear mint, leaves my mouth smelling fresh and clean for hours after use. I use this paste twice daily, both morning and night.

I purchased this at tesco and was on offer for the bargain price of 95p.

29.05.2015 22:30

Advantages

• "35 colours"
      • Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Not great quality"

Try White Hot Love, Berries and Cream and Oragasm!

I've already reviewed Stargazer nail varnishes, which were the ones I liked as a teenager due to the wide range of colours, from brights to unusual colours to metallics. But now I'm a bit older and in uni sometimes at interviews etc I feel like I can't really wear crazy colours anymore. I feel like I'm growing up! But when I want a more mature look to my nails, I go for these Rimmel ones, as they're around the same price as the Stargazer ones (thoguh usually stocked at different shops...) and still have a wide range of more neutral, pretty, feminine colours.

This nail varnishes big gimmick is drying in 60 seconds, and I actually find that for once this is true, but it isn't great sometimes when it dries a bit too quick and gets kind of random lumps in it... But that's the price you pay, I guess.

I usually do 2-3 coats and then a topcoat of clear varnish over them as I don't paint my nails that often (maybe 1 or 2 times a month). These kind of have chips in sometimes, which is disappointing, but overall, they do not. So I am a very happy chappy in that regard.

There are a lot of people who pay more than a five pound note for nail polishes... I am not one of those people, and though Rimmel varnishes have drawbacks, such as not a greater range as they could have (crazy colours etc) and sometimes chips or flake, they are good for the price and I will continue buying them.

• Stargazer Nail Polish / Make Up / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      29.05.2015 22:22

Advantages

• "Good colours"

Disadvantages

• "Cheaply made"

Sparkle and shimmer... to a point

I've used these nail varnishes for it feels like forever. When I was younger these were the only kind stocked in a shop I liked. So I have used them for many years and tried out a lot of the colours in the range.

*The GOOD part*

This might be a bit critical a review (from me, anyway, lol) but the one thing I really really like about Stargazer is the colour range they do. They have metallics, pastels, rainbow colours, every colour you can imagine (though I also think this depends where you shop or if you get them off the website and so on). I've tried a lot of colours in this range and I've found colours that compliment dresses or outfits or my general moods at the time. So that's a definite plus.

*The BAD part*

These are cheap. I don't mena in a good way. They are about £2-£3, depending on where you buy them, which is fair (I think) for a nail polish and I would never pay more than a fiver personally. But they are also cheaply made. I once used these for an art project when I was younger and I was really surprised how low quality these varnsihes were - thin, flaky, watery, etc. And I realised I'd known that for a long time and that's why I'd been using so many layers of vanish on my nails for years. This means they run out in more time, and so on. Just generally not good stuff.

A shame, as I really do like them, and they have some of my favourite, hard ro find colours in the range (metallic green!) but they are just a little bit cheap.

• Weleda Lemon Balm Shampoo / Weleda / 3 Readings / 3 Ratings
      29.05.2015 22:18

Advantages

• " the way it makes my hair look and feel "
      • Smell

Disadvantages

• "Slightly costly "

For a lovely lemon treat

I use a lot of products from Weleda and though they might be a little bit more expensive than other products, I usually find that they are worth the cost as they are good quality and they suit me. Weleda make a gorgeous shampoo with Lemon Balm and I bought mine online wit Amazon vouchers for £8.50. It sounds like a lot of money but actually it works out really cost effective, as you don’t need to use a lot of this shampoo.

Hubby told me he had problems in getting a decent lather with this but I actually found the opposite was true. It lathered well on my hair and the smell alone is enough to make you want to go out and buy more once this has all gone.

It has a lovely fresh citrus lemon smell to it and this smell lasts for ages on your hair long after it has been washed and dried and styled. I also use the accompanying conditioner. I have none of this particular shampoo left now as I waiting for more vouchers to treat myself to another bottle but one bottle lasts me around four months – and that is with very regular ruse.

My hair looks and feels so healthy and strong and shiny and full of volume whenever I use this shampoo. I really think that if you want to give your hair a lemony treat thane you should try this – you will not be disappointed - I promise you !

29.05.2015 22:12

Advantages

• "Save the world"
      • Cheap
      • Bright

Disadvantages

How many dooyooers does it take to write a lightbulb review?

Last term when I came home from uni my mum sent me out again almost straight away telling me we needed lightbulbs of all things. And she wanted those energy saving type ones. So I stumbled upon these ones.

Well, what is there to say about a lightbulb, really? It either works or it doesn't work. And these work. And you screw them in like a normal lightbulb. So that's it really. So why am I writing this review?

I guess I'm writing it just to say how impressed I am with the quuality and strength from these lightbulbs that are actually only 11watts but say on the box (or on the website or whatever...) that they are the same bightness as 55 watt lightbulbs. And you know, boxes and websites are a bit like politicians, you never know if they'll deliver on their promises... But these ones actually do. They're bright, save the earth, and they weren't that expensive either. Try not to buy them off amazon as they are really expensive there (£16 for 4) but these are available at any homestores or even a supermarket where we got them from (not knowing where else would have lightbulbs...evidently we didn't think of homebase/focus/b&q).

So yeah. If you have been thinking of going green or trying to save money on your electricity bill, don't turn away from these energy saving lightbulbs. They might even just surprise you! They surprised me, anyway. Then again maybe I am easily surprised :) Thanks for reading.

29.05.2015 22:11

Advantages

• " lasts ages"
      • "Good price"

Disadvantages

• "Dries my skin out a lot"

I can do without dry hands, thank you

I buy a lot of my hand washes from Home Bargains these days as they have such a wide choice available and also they are really well priced - much lower than the supermarkets are. The other month I needed a new bottle of hand wash and I opted for a 300ml bottle of Sanex hand wash which comes with one of those very handy pump dispensers. It was only 99p and so it was a bargain.

The packaging is fairly plain and simple and it comes housed in a slightly opaque plastic bottle so you can sort of see how much of the hand wash there is left inside as it gradually goes down.

The pump dispenser dispenses the right amount and I get a good lather. The smell is fresh and clean though it does not linger on the skin after it has been rinsed off. The problem with this hand wash for me personally, is that it left my hands feeling very dray and the longer I was using it, the worse I was finding it was becoming.

It got to the point where i hd to stop using it as it was actually making the tops of my hands very dry to the point that they were starting to crack and I had to use a heavy duty hand cream after I washed with this particular hand wash. Non one else in my family suffered the same as me, so I don't know if it might have been something else I had been suing at the same time as I was suing this hand wash and it was purely coincidental.

On the whole, it was cheap but I won't be buying it again because of the reaction i got from it.

29.05.2015 22:05

Advantages

• "Good quality"
      • Cheap

My scratching post!

So who needs an excuse to have nice looking nails, right? The past few months mine haven't looked so good, due to a combination of stress, neglect and abuse. SO I made a pact with myself to try and improve the way they were looking as several people began commenting on how worn they were. This included buying an emery board, which was something i'd never owned before *gasp*

These emery boards are just lollipop sticks with sandpaper type mateiral on them... Nothing special really... so I wasn't going to pay a lot of money for them, at least that's what I told myself... I didn't need anything colourful or fancy or made of diamond dust or whatever (lol) so these ones really do fit the bill. They are basic.

I got these for (I think) 80p.There are about 10 in a pack, and this is more than I needed (or so I thought at the time). However these things have a habit of getting lost in my dorm room/handbag/wherever so I actually only have 5 surviving ones (that I know about anyway). They are described as long lasting... well they aren't long lasting in that way anyway... bbut they are long lasting as in they keep filing your nails well and don't seem to lose the scratchy coatting of whatever it is on them. So on that basis alone they are well worth the money.

Do they shape and smooth my nails well? Well yes they do, perfectly actually. I can't imagine why anyone would pay any more for them.

• Avon Kohl Eyeliner / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      29.05.2015 21:53

Advantages

• Soft
      • "Nice colour"

Disadvantages

• Price?

Drawing on my face in the morning!

So... As I said in my other eyeliner review, I tend to wear eyeliner every day, and this is definitely my so-called "everyday eyeliner". A friend's mum is an Avon lady and I always buy through her. I'm not sure if you can buy through a website or whoever though if you don't know an Avon rep.

For some reason this eyeliner pencil worked out as more expensive than the liquid eyeliner (also bought through Avon). I'm not sure how but this pencil is £6. I went ahead and bought it at that price, but really, this is a very average eyeliner pencil. I'm not really sure if it's worth that amount, but the price compared to some others is fairly reasonable though.

This is simply a kohl pencil, it's soft, you draw on your eyelids (or wherever) with it. I have even used it to define my eyebrows in a pinch. You have to sharpen it every so often. Don't use a normal pencil sharpener for this purpose, trust me. I get reasonably good control and long lasting wear from this eyeliner pencil, which is what I want. It gives a nice defined colour. As I wear eyeliner (almost) every day I find I get through these pencils at a rate of maybe 2 or 3 a year... Though I stop using them when they get to be about 3 or 4 inches long, so I've never actually used one up entirely. I've never really had a single problem with these eyeliner pencils so I am happy to recommend them.

29.05.2015 21:46

Advantages

• " perfect for all skins"
      • Light

Disadvantages

• "None for me "

A timeless classic

My mum used to use Oil of Ulay (as it was called back then) Beauty Fluid and I grew up watching her using it. I then went on to use it when I reached my teens. I am now in my thirties and I continue to use it, as this is really a timeless classic. It has to be one of the best moisturisers out there and I think the fact that it has stood the test of time for so long speaks volumes, really.

The last bottle of this I bought was from Home Bargains and it cost me just under five pounds. I do remember that the bottles used to be made of glass ages ago but now they are made of plastic – still pink, as it’s the fluid and it is just the same as it ever was. There has been no “improvements” made to this original moisturiser, I am pleased to say.

The cream itself is on the runny side, but not so much that it goes all over the place when it is applied to the skin. It is pale pink in colour, and has a smell that reminds me of my own mother – light and delicate and not heavily perfumed.

I use this liberally all over my face and neck and it sinks in like a dream. I also apply it to my lips and I find that tough it can taste a bit better, if I remember not to lick them for an hour or so, then this stuff really does help to heal them if they are dry and parched.

It is great when used under make up (foundation) and I have also used it as a light hand cream in the past. It is suitable for all skins and I really do love this stuff.

I will probably always use it and I really recommend it.

• Avon Liquid Eyeliner / Make Up / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      29.05.2015 21:46

Advantages

• "Not claggy"
      • "Dries quick"
      • "Easy application"

Disadvantages

• "Not as dark as I was expecting"

Darkness please

I usually wear eyeliner every day unless I am not going out. And let me be clear here this is definitely a 'going out' eyeliner. I usually only wear liquid eyeliner if I want a certain look as it can be very bold (at least the way I wear it)...

This is from Avon, a friend's mum is an Avon lady and I bought through her. It's around £5 if my memory serves, as I bought this several months ago. As you can tell it lasts a long time.

The liquid eyeliner is black, it's not quite as opaque as I was expecting it, it's actually fairly subtle as these liquid eyeliners go. I've bought a few of these and they've tended to last upwards of 6 months because I so rarely use them. Maybe that's a sad indictment of my social life.

You apply these as usual, there is a small applicator and really this eyeliner is basically like a pen that you draw liquid eyeliner onto your eyelid (or wherever) with. I haven't really had any problems with this. It gives reasonable control, dries fairly quickly, isn't claggy, and is the colour I expected it to be, even if, as I said, it isn't as dark as I was expecting. I mean, I was expecting kind of like a black marker pen kind of line. And this just isn't like that. This doesn't bother me so much, I would give my eyes two coats if it did, so maybe not the best value if you did that, you'd use it twice as quick.

Overall, OK/nice quality, good value, and I am a happy customer.

29.05.2015 21:44

Advantages

• "lovely face plumping"

Disadvantages

• none

Lovely face moisturiser

This collagen based moisturiser from the Murad range is specifically designed to target the early signs of ageing. The claim of this product is that it will reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in two hours (not sure if you're supposed to wait inside the house until the magic begins!). It is classed as a fast acting and multi tasking formula which fights wrinkles and the skin's loss of resilience promoting healthy collagen and hydration levels.

How I got mine
      Whilst this product is expensive I must explain that I technically didn't pay for it. Whilst I didn't steal it, it came in a goody bag from the Regis website when you bought another product from the range. My tube is a stingy 5 ml size.

Price
      A 30 ml tube is £58.50 on the John Lewis website.

My thoughts
      This Murad rapid collagen infusion comes in a pump bottle tube and is nice and thin to use so ideal to wear under make up if you can bear to leave the house during that two hour window! I do think this is expensive for what you are getting but it is also clearly a very high quality face cream. I like the light nature of the cream, it sinks straight in without leaving any greasy residue. You are advised to apply this over freshly cleansed skin then add a moisturiser (step three) of course from the Murad range over the top. As I use a BB cream for make up that is moisturising too I skip this third step when using this product.

Would I buy it
      No I would not part with nearly £60 to buy this cream. It is good but not that good! I will look out for it if it ever goes on offer though as it is really nice.

29.05.2015 21:40

Advantages

• "luxury hand cream"

Disadvantages

• "smells too strong"

Hand cream heaven

I was a bit slow off the mark this month buying Marie Claire (not for the magazine lol) but for the freebie hand cream that came with it. A couple of friends persuaded me that I would not want to miss out on this deal even though I have a load of hand cream to use I decided I did want to try out this previously undiscovered brand.

Not much choice
      There were three fragrances available with the magazine but by the time I got in there there was only the geranium and orange choice left which I was happy to try.

First impressions
      This has nice enough packaging in a tube although the shop version looks a lot posher in its lovely blue bottle. I suppose it's practical to have it in a tube as you can easily bung it in your bag.

In use
      This is a lovely thick white cream and after a greasy moment it's sunk in which is great on the move. It is heavily scented though so best not to apply in confined spaces. I can tolerate the smell but would not enjoy it on a long cooped up car journey, it's too spicy for that.

My thoughts
      Top marks go to the consistency of this hand lotion. It's luxurious and a nice treatment. I can't say I am overly keen on the fragrance though, it's a little bit sickly and stays on your hands for ages after applying.

Price
      A 50 ml tube is ten pounds on e chemist which I think is quite a lot. These are better for travel but the pump bottle is better value at Ocado costing £12.50 for a 200ml pump dispenser. I could see that looking lovely in my downstairs loo...

29.05.2015 21:08

Advantages

• "Traditional and simple"
      • "Relatively large"

Disadvantages

• "Doesn't hold kids attention"

Just ok

I have seen many different versions of bead roller coasters and by way of various gifts my children have had 4 different ones from memory.

Annoyingly this toy does not come pre assembled but that is to be expected when shopping at ikea. The whole thing requires putting together including threading the beads onto the wires. A quick word of warning on this, the springs can jump apart with quite a force when you unpack them so be careful! Once assembled the toy feels very robust and the birch wood beads feel good quality.

Once assembled you have a thick wire maze with 21 beads. The beads are a range of shapes including round, square, hexagonal etc and are in lovely bright primary colours. The beads easily run along the wires and make a satisfying sound when they fall on to the one below.

I like the idea of simple, wooden toys like this one but often the children don't find them particularly interesting. This is a good example. While it captured their imagination briefly it was never played with for long and they grew out of it very early on.

The advantage that this ikea version has over the others we have been given is that it is significantly larger. At around 30cm in each dimension it allows space for little hands to get into the gaps for playing.

It is easily wiped clean and has lasted well. In summary, I would recommend this toy over other similar ones but as a concept I wouldn't particularly recommend buying one. There are other toys in the ikea mula range which proved much more interesting for my children.

29.05.2015 21:07

Advantages

• Cheap

Disadvantages

• "Didn't peel off easily"
      • "Smell fake"
      • "Didn't do much for my skin"

OK, but don't bother

There's a corner shop near where I live that always has these things on promotion. For some reason, one day I just felt like buying one to see what they were like. This set me on a real road to trying out different face masks, which might give away what I really think of this product.

The Christy face masks are little packets that usually come in multipack buys of 4 for around £1 or 50p each. You just squeeze out the gloop from the packet and put it on your face (after washing it). These face masks smell a bit artificial if you know what I mean. They also tend to harden on the face, which is a bit unpleasant, because it causes a weird tight feeling when wearing them. Taking them off is a bit of a hassle involving picking the dried stuff off because it doesn't lift away like some face masks do.

In a word, these are adequate. They left my skin feeling cleaner than usual, but they were a pain to take off, and smelt kind of like capri sun or something. Not that they smelled of orange, but they smelled kind of like that fake stuff. If you get my meaning. They didn't really do much about my combination skin... but at 25p or 50p each that's kind of more than I expected anyway. If you need a quick treat or a change or something, try these out, otherwise they're nothing to write home about so don't bother.

29.05.2015 21:00

Advantages

Disadvantages

Nice but not necessary

The Body Shop is a store pretty much everyone in the UK knows about, and it has cosmetics and bath products at of a generally high quality in a price range that is neither high end or low end. However, when I can get cosmetics and such cheaper, such as online or in Poundland type shops, I tend to, so shopping at The Body Shop was a new experience for me when I went earlier this month. I walked out with a few things, one of them being this tea tree oil face mask. I have been having problems with my skin lately and my friend (who I went shopping with) recommended this to me.

The mask is green. This might not be great if you're a fan of not looking like Shrek. You can smell it as soon as you open it. It really is almost eyewateringly strong. As such this can make actually wearing the face mask kind of uncomfortable. It says to wear it for 5-10 minutes. I could not stand 10 minutes and I struggled to get to 5 minutes wearing it. I'm not against tea tree oil by any means, so if you are averse to that scent (perhaps it reminds you of nits at school...) then do not buy this! In short, it stinks.

After I took the mask off, I noticed that my skin seemed a lot brighter. The smell lingered however.

This is a product designed for oily skin and perhaps for people with spots. I can imagine it works well for those people, but as I don't really suffer from spots all that much, and only have combination skin, I can't really see me buying this again. It managed to reduce the oiliness in my T-zone and made my face seem a lot brighter, but for £10 it just isn't something I necessarily need.

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown