• Dr.Hauschka Facial Toner / Dr. Hauschka / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 23:08

Advantages

• Nothing?

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Scent is old"
      • "Didn't seem to do much"

Smelling like a bed of roses! Or an old aunt at a wedding.

This is another of my mum's goodies and like everything else from Doctor Hauschka, it is expensive.

*price*

Obviously I didn't buy it and my mum doesn't remember how much she paid for it (though this may be because my dad was within ear shot). On the Doctor Hauschka website it is
      £24.50 for 100ml, and £4 for a tester of 10ml.

*The product*

This is in a nice glass bottle, a nice change from plastic, and unlike most toners you spritz it on instead of rub it or apply it on. First you wash your face with a cleanser of your choice, apply a toner, and then moisturise.

*In use*

I've never actually used a toner before so I wasn't really sure what it was meant to do (lol). After looking it up it is meant to reduce oiliness and make pores appear finer. Spritzing it on is quite fun as it is a novelty. It smells of roses which in my opinion is quite an older person's scent however.

*Ingredients*

The product contains witch hazel (the primary ingredient in hemmeroid cream) to refine the appearance of pores. It also contains amaryllis extract.

*Did it work?*

Well I did make sure to examine my skin after using it. I felt my pores maybe looked smaller (maybe a result of cleansing?) but after moisturising I couldn't really tell that it had done much at all except make my face smell a bit like my old aunt at a wedding.

*In conclusion*

In conclusion, I am afraid this is not for me! The product didn't make my eyes water, but it didn't do else either, and I am afraid the price is the thing that would make me cry.

• Barry M Intense Eyeliner Pen / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 22:56

Advantages

• Quality
      • Price
      • Colour

My favourite eyeliner!

I feel like I've just about reviewed everything in my make up bag (sigh of relief) but there are a few more things to go (groan)! I realise I seem to have absolutely loads of make up. But what can I say, I'm a girl... I have already reviewed my liquid eyeliner and my kohl pencil but this is the last eyeliner I have to review, I swear!!

As I said I use kohl eyeliner most of the time, and liquid eyeliner when I go out. I tend to use liquid on my top lid and then one of these Barry M 'eyeliner pens' in the lower lid. I have a fair few of these now.

*Price and where from*

I think I got mine from Boots, but I can't remember how much it cost. Currently these eyeliner pens are around £3-£4 on Amazon, but as always shop around as you will find a lot of varying prices.

*In use*

You take off the cap and twist the thing up to reveal the actual eyeliner pencil, which is soft, blunt and kind of creamy in texture. Barry M intense eyeliner pens give a nice soft line with some precision (though it could be better if the tips were sharper). The eyeliner is allegedly smudgeproof and waterproof. I haven't had to experiment with the latter but I can confirm I haven't had many smudges with these eyeliners that I can remember.

*Now the best part*

The reason I bought these eyeliners (I have 3) is the colours! I love different coloured eyeliner. I have these Barry M intense eyeliners in pink, silver and blue. The silver and blue are slightly metallic and shimmery, which gives a beautiful effect that was just what I wanted.

*Overall*

Love them!

• Imodium Instants / Oral Health & Digestion / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 22:51

Advantages

• "easy to take"
      • works

Disadvantages

• "not the nicest taste"

works fast

Now thankfully diarrhoea isn't something I suffer from all that often, in fact I haven't had it for years but recently well after the second...... sorry I'll leave it there (not the kind of thing you want to read is it).

I have usually had something like this in my kitchen medicine cupboard for those just in case moments and my last pack of six tablets cost me around £3. After checking they were still in date I took the first dose. This was two of the small melts and just peel back the foil backing to the melts and take (they are not a blister pack so don't try to push them through the foil). They melted quite quickly on my tongue and required no water to take them but after the taste they left in my mouth I needed a drink to take the taste away. Whilst they say it is supposed to be a mint flavour it was more like a budget brand toothpaste flavour but not as nice.

They contain loperamide hydrochloride which works by slowing your system down so the digestive system can return to normal. I only needed this initial dose of two and suffered no further bouts of it after. They also contain aspartame so they are not suitable for people who suffer from phenylketonuria and need to avoid phenylalanine. The fact they contain aspartame could be partly responsible for the rather horrible taste they left in my mouth.

Taking just these will help treat diarrhoea but I would also recommend taking some of those rehydration salts as well.

I have rated these quite highly as they work and they are convenient to take. The fact they don't taste very nice and are not the cheapest treatments is where it lost points. I would have given 3.5 hearts but as halves are not allowed I have rounded it up to four.

• Vaseline Lip Therapy / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 22:47

Advantages

• Soothes

Disadvantages

• "Tastes bad"

A family favourite.

To be honest I have been wondering how to review Vaseline for a little bit now. Like most people I have a tin in my coat pocket or in a drawer or somewhere pretty much all the time, though I tend to prefer flavoured or scented lip balms, sometimes you just need a balm you know will work when you have dried, chapped or cracking lips - and this is what Vaseline is to me.

*In use*

Like most balms, you stick your finger in to the contents of the tin and move it over the area of your lips you want the vaseline on. For me this is usually all over my lips.

*Contents*

Petrolleum jelly.

*What does it do*

Petrolleum jelly forms a barrier over the lip stopping moisture from escaping, allowing the lip to stop drying out and perhaps heal any chapping or cracking going on.

*How much is it*

Haha, now you've got me going. I forgot how much I paid for my ubiquitous tin of vaseline but a quick google tells me it is currently available for ‎£1.95 for a 20g tin in your local Boots. This seems actually a bit high and I am sure you can get it cheaper.

*Anything else*

As I said I prefer flavoured balms usually and I do find Vaseline to have a horrible taste. I prefer the cocoa butter Vaseline flavour which is available in a brown tin. I have also sampled the aloe vera one (in the green tin). They also have a pink tin which I assume is strawberry or the like, but I haven't tried it.

30.05.2015 22:40

Advantages

• "Smells good"

Disadvantages

• Overpriced

This may smell nice but the price stinks!

*Price and Value*

This is another one of my mum's goodies as she is a fan of Doctor Hauschka. She told me she bought this for £15 in John Lewis though the Dr Haushka site puts it at £16.50. As always the price depends on where you buy it and for something that I believe is way overpriced I'd encourage you to shop around!

*Size*

The full size is 100ml. (Recommended Retail Price £16.50)
      The trial size is 10ml. (Price £3)

*What is it*

This is not a bubble bath! I repeat, this is not a bubble bath. It isn't even a cleanser. It's kind of like an air freshener for your bath. You add 1 or 2 cups of this 'essence' into a bath while it's running to create a calming atmosphere while you bathe.

*In use*

I tried this out as I was curious as to what a calming bath essence really is. And to be honest, I was disappointed. It really is just scent.

But despite the smell size of the bottle (100ml) it lasts quite a while as every cup full is maybe 10ml.

*My thoughts*

You could do better buying real lavendar oil or maybe just a bubble bath or something with laevandar in if that's what you were really into. I didn't find this especially relaxing, but I do like the scent of lavendar. Obviously don't buy this if you don't like that scent.

*Final verdict*

Essentially overpriced lavendar oil. Just buy real lavander oil. Don't waste your money.

30.05.2015 22:32

Advantages

• "Cheaper than face wipes overall"

Disadvantages

• Expensive
      • "Kind of abrasive feeling"

Muslin cloths for mum not baby!

My mum swears by these face cloths, though personally I find them to be a bit pricey for what you get, but there you go. They are £5.25 each and probably more or less expensive depending on where you buy the

I guess the idea of these is that they're a higher quality re-usable form of a make up remover, and you can also use them as a compress (for example to open or close pores). I've used these a lot as we have many around the house and we kind of use them along side flannels though you could also use them instead of flannels I guess.

In use they are kind of rough and primitive because the cotton is unbleached. It isn't very soft to use and if you have very sensitive skin I am sure it would be too abrasive. I would not use this on children.

If left damp they also start to smell really strongly. It's recommended to wash these at a high temperature to kill bacteria. So far none of them have stained.

They take off make up pretty well, but they can be quite rough especially on the eye area and for some reason a small sensitive patch I have just underneath ear on my neck area.

I don't think these are great value for money as I said but overall probably better value that disposable face wipes so if you're looking to cut down or be more green or whatever these are an Option I suppose.

• Apple iPhone 6 16 GB / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 21:31

Advantages

• " silver or gold."
      • "Comes in space grey"
      • " NFC and USB."
      • " 4G"
      • " 3G "
      • " GPS"
      • " Wifi"
      • "Supports Connectivity like bluetooth"
      • " Oleophobic coating and Fingerprint sensor with iPhone 6."
      • " Shatter proof glass protection"
      • "Apple offers 4.7 inch LED-backlit IPS LCD capacitive Display and have multiple touch"
      • "Comes with the latest iOS."

Disadvantages

• "Only 1GB for RAM."
      • "Lack of Dust proof and Water resistant."

It's a matter of preference, however I would recommend this phone to anyone.

I was one of the many people eagerly waiting for the iPhone 6 and 6 plus to arrive, I must admit. I'm an iPhone lover, so you could say I am biased, however I'm extremely honest in my reviews. When it comes to a phone, I think everyone has a different idea of exactly what they're looking for, and different phones suit different people. Despite this, the iPhone has quite a large audience, as it has so many features to suit different needs.

if you're looking for something that is visually attractive, this phone is an obvious choice. It is sleek, beautifully designed and comes in three colours for you to choose from. The iPhone 6 is also a nice size, not too small that you can't view media, however not too large if you do not like large phones. It fits in one hand of average size, and has an option to double tap on the home button to bring the screen down for easier access to the top of the screen.

The display on the iPhone 6 is truly beautiful. The A8 processor runs iOS 8 stunningly, with no glitches or lags, and the phone runs so fast. Touch ID has definitely been improved in this phone, it works significantly better and is a lot faster. The camera quality is also extremely good, compared to other phones as well as previous iPhones.

My only issue with this phone when I first bought it was the crashes/glitches in some apps, however this is to be expected with a new iOS and apple have now fixed these bugs.

• Magimix 11610 / Blender / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 21:03

Advantages

• "Stylish "
      • "Durable "
      • "Easy to clean "
      • "Extremely effective "

Disadvantages

• "Heavy "

Great for smoothie enthusiasts without a vitamix budget

This is the best blender that I have owned. After deliberating for a while whether I could justify spending so many pounds on basically making smoothies, I'm very pleased with my purchase (not to imply that it can only make smoothies!)

There are four settings - smoothie, ice, soup and dessert. I've only needed to use smoothie and ice. You can also choose your own speed which additionally has a pulse option.

I've made many perfectly creamy smoothies using both fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables. Also included nuts, seeds and oats which are milled enough to not leave large particles floating in your drink. Produce such as apples and celery blend well instead of ending up bitty as is the case with weak blenders.

Have also whipped up perfect batches of cashew nut cream and pasta sauces.

The 1.8 litre jug is made of thick durable glass which does make it heavy. You can't have it all though . I've not dropped it but it has survived several bashes on the counter unscathed .

Cleaning is simple . Just give it a quick rinse and part fill with warm water and a dash of washing up liquid . Blend the soapy water and you are left with not much scrubbing to do (sometimes none at all depending on what you've blended).

It is expensive but I figured that with the money I've spent on cheap and flimsy blenders over the years I would have been better off to buy this from the word go.

A little hardback book is included which contains recipes for each setting. This is a nice touch.

All in all a great blender for smoothie enthusiasts who don't have a vitamix budget.

• Favourite Podcasts / Discussion / 7 Readings / 6 Ratings
      30.05.2015 18:57

Advantages

Disadvantages

BBC Podcasts - there's something here for everyone

I've recently found myself in the Downloads & Podcasts section of the BBC Radio/iPlayer site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts)

On this site, you can search by name, A-Z, genre, last updated or radio station; and there's a small selection of featured podcasts that someone at the BBC reckons you will like. I've only ever (so far) found one thing worth listening to from the featured selection, so you're probably better off having a nose around for yourself.

I actually originally found this site when I wanted to download Pigion, the BBC Cymru podcast for Welsh learners, but have since brought down the odd drama and some nerdy programming from Radio 4. Yes, I am that rarest of things, a woman of moderate earnings in my 20s who listens to Radio 4. I think I bust their listening/downloading statistics every time I go near their programming. Their usual audience, as we all know, is made up of people named Tarquin who wear polo shirts, or nice old chaps who go by Roger and put the Archers on while they potter around in the garden (the Archers is also downloadable from here - in case Roger missed the broadcast.)

I recommend that people who can't get Radio Wales where they live download the podcast of the Rhod Gilbert show - this is a show that we really don't have the right to keep to ourselves when so many other people could be infected with Rhod's light-hearted gamble through the papers, and other randomness. The average broadcast will come from Rhod's kitchen and be interrupted by the barking of his dog, Rosie, and occasionally the washing machine or the postman. Really.

The files from the podcast website are in mp3 format, and can be listened to on your computer or copied to a device. This (happily) includes non-Apple devices if like me you are aware that one day iPods will enslave humanity (I'm kidding...maybe.) There's bound to be something here to appeal to everyone, so give it a go.

• pcspecialist.co.uk / Online Shop / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.05.2015 18:38

Advantages

• "Great choice of components"
      • "Easy to use website"

Disadvantages

More than pleased with the product received, would use these guys again!

Whilst looking for a place to buy a new pc from, I was shopping around on quite a few online vendors. The reason I came back to PC specialist was primarily the ease of use on the website; it has an intuitive design, great choices of components, and the amount you are able to customise your setup really was not equaled by the other websites I was browsing.

The PC I received was exactly what I had selected, so no surprises there, and ofcourse I was very happy with the final product. Price wise you can obviously get cheaper if you built it yourself, but personally I like the support network PC Specialist has in place. Their team of pros building it for you, the £5 year long parts, labour and collection if you do have problems and the ability to ring them up during their long office hours; the guys on the other end are always really helpful! Price wise compared against other online vendors, these guys are really competitive.

I've taken off a star, for a mild inconvenience rather than a problem, which is I had to re-install the OS before I'd even got to use my new baby, but you get all drivers etc on disks so it really was just a quick process to get up and running.

30.05.2015 18:05

Advantages

• "Easy to clean "
      • "Simple yet effective "
      • "Durable "

Disadvantages

Effective and good value for money.

Bought this frother as I wanted to make chai lattes at home due to the extortionate prices of these addictive beverages in cafes. Was skeptical about its effectiveness but was pleasantly surprised!

I don't use dairy but find that this is still effective when using almond and soy milk. It doesn't froth quite as well as dairy but still makes a nice latte or hot chocolate when whizzed up with this little gadget.

Oddly enough, my cat is terrified of it and quickly exits the kitchen when I use it! This is an accidental plus point as my cat insists on jumping up on the counters.

It is very easy to clean with no nooks or crannies and no dismantling required. I just switch it on when the metal part is immersed in hot soapy water then again to air dry it - job done. I've experienced no rusting.

I actually have two as received another in a matcha green tea set . You use the frother to mix the matcha powder with some juice and it is the only thing that works without making it contain bitter clumps.

I use this about five times per week and the battery lasts well. You know when it needs replacing as the frother becomes rather unenthusiastic ! Have had it for over a year now, so good value for money too.

• Sony XPERIA Z / Smartphone / 1 Reading / 1 Rating
      30.05.2015 17:47

Advantages

Disadvantages

My second Xperia phone and no complaints at all !

Started using the xperia Z a few months ago after qualifying for an early upgrade with my provider. Was happy with my Xperia T but thought "why not" and am pleased that I did .

The first noticeable difference for me was the size. At first I felt a bit daft answering such a large phone . However , after some use , I find this to be an advantage. Firstly for reading. I am a student and can now comfortably read my course materials online. Secondly , as a keen photographer , I can make better use of the Xperia's excellent camera. Having that bit of extra screen makes for better image capturing and editing. The larger screen has also made gaming appealing to me and I do a fair bit in my free time now.

The battery lasts well providing you don't have unrealistic expectations.

Have only dropped it twice (so far!) but this caused no damage. I did have a cheap case on it having said that, but I expect that it is as durable as the xperia t (iPhones and galaxies often need screen replacements after dropping according to friends).

So, my second xperia phone and no complaints. Will continue to use and next time I am due an upgrade will choose xperia again. I still keep the other for backup.

• Sony XPERIA T / Smartphone / 2 Readings / 1 Rating
      30.05.2015 17:31

Advantages

• " sleek"
      • Durable

Disadvantages

Durable, nice-looking phone with great camera.

This was my first smartphone after refusing to get one for quite some time. Once it arrived I couldn't imagine not having one.

I was advised to go for an Xperia t as I told the advisor that I'm a keen photographer. I have to say that it exceeded my expectations and produced images of much better quality than my friends who are mostly using iPhones.

The advisor also told me that this is the phone that James Bond uses. If it's good enough for him...

Another great aspect to this phone is that I've never once needed a repair inspite of dropping it several times, screen down, on tiled floor and concrete. After the first time I purchased a cheap case. It doesn't even have a scratch miraculously ! Again, comparing to my friends experiences with iPhones and galaxies, this is quite rare it would seem, even though they use covers, they seem to be permanently needing screen replacements.

This phone is comparatively small to newer models. If you feel silly answering what basically feels like a small tablet then you will like the size of the xperia t.

I've seen people online complaining about the battery stamina. However , I feel that considering the battery has to power what is essentially a little computer, it lasts fairly well. If you play a lot of games or browse the Internet frequently, then keep your charger in your bag .

30.05.2015 17:25

Advantages

• "Keeps lips from drying out"
      • "Lots to collect"
      • "Taste good"

Disadvantages

• "Maybe overpriced"

These won't be around much longer!

I wear make up every day (or almost every day) yet sometimes I don't feel like being really obvious about it. I tend to prefer chapstick like products over lipgloss or lipstick sometimes, if not all the time, and one of my favourite of these are lipsmackers. I have had lipsmackers since I was a teenager as it is fun to collect all the flavours, however I usually stick to the same 1-3 flavours and don't try all the new ones out as they're a waste of money really.

*Price*

Lipsmackers go for about £1-£2 depending where you buy them from. Right now you can buy in bulk from ebay for a pretty good price, where as it can be £2 or more in some corner shops, Claire's, etc. So it's worth it to shop around.

*Flavours*

Flavours are the big thing when it comes to Lipsmackers. Personally my favourites are cotton candy, wild raspberry and kiwi. They really do taste like the flavours they're meant to be, but the flavour does fade after a while and you need to reapply.

There are a lot of flavours, including brand named ones like Dr Pepper, etc, so they are fun to collect if you have the money.

*Do they work?*

They work at keeping my lips nice and hydrated and giving me a little kick out of tasting them. So in my opinion yes they do work. But they aren't any better than vaseline or other non-flavoured chapsticks.

I heard recently that the company that make Lipsmackers are going out of business this year, so now is the time to stock up and buy if you like them.

• Barry M Lip Gloss Wand / Make Up / 0 Readings / 0 Ratings
      30.05.2015 17:16

Advantages

• "Widely available"
      • Cheap
      • "Lots of colours"

Disadvantages

• "Weak colour"

Not very strong!

I like a lipgloss over a lipstick, as I find lipstick very drying. Lipgloss leaves my lips feeling less dry than lipstick does, and I think it's easier to apply (you dont have to blot the excess off with a tissue like lipstick) and stays on for longer.

These Barry M lipglosses are just up my street then. The one thing is they aren't as matte as lipsticks, so they are a lot subtler than they look in the bottle (tube? the thing). You have to apply several coats to build up a strong colour, which means you might get through these a lot more often than any other stronger coloured lipgloss.

Saying that, they stay on longer, are easy to apply with a small wand in the lid of the tube, and come in lots of colours. They are also priced reasonably at £2 or so and are available in most places, Boots, your local chemists, et cetera...

So in conclusion:

GOOD:
      Lots of colours to choose from (as the picture above demonstrates - red, pink, orange, clear, and several shades of each)
      Reasonable price (£2 or so)
      Available in most chemists and online
      Keep lips moist/protect them from drying out
      You can wear over lipstick (not my thing but you can do this if you want)
      Lasts a fairly long time

BAD:
      Not a very strong colour/need lots of layers to create a bold effect
      Wears off if you eat or drink anything

So that's it. I hope my review was helpful to you!

Comments

* Prices may differ from that shown